#1001 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sadly the most popular combined SBYC and Sailing Club event, Goleta Beach Race and BBQ was cancelled. Seems the person in charge (whose name rhymes with Schaumberger) neglected to follow thru on planning the event, neglected to reserve the bbq and picnic area and then neglected to mention to anyone that he blew the whole thing out of the water

I'm puzzled - just how does your posting help the situation. Some one made a mistake - in volunteer organizations it happens.

#1002 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Sadly the most popular combined SBYC and Sailing Club event, Goleta Beach Race and BBQ was cancelled. Seems the person in charge (whose name rhymes with Schaumberger) neglected to follow thru on planning the event, neglected to reserve the bbq and picnic area and then neglected to mention to anyone that he blew the whole thing out of the water.
I
Once a dick head...always a dickhead.

Snakes come out of the toilet again?

#1003 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Bobbo,
You crack me up :rolleyes:

#1004 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

Great day of practice in SF on the 400 getting ready for Big Boat. Saw about 22 kts. hit about 18 a couple of times.

Had a flyby from the big French foiler off Angel Island. Probably blowing 20 at the time and we estimate they may have been doing about 30. It's one thing to see pics and videos but seeing this monster in action is incredible.

for those interested I'll post a link to some pics when I get time.

#1005 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Attached File  When I grow up.jpg   59.48K   41 downloads

#1006 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

Great day of practice in SF on the 400 getting ready for Big Boat. Saw about 22 kts. hit about 18 a couple of times.

Had a flyby from the big French foiler off Angel Island. Probably blowing 20 at the time and we estimate they may have been doing about 30. It's one thing to see pics and videos but seeing this monster in action is incredible.

for those interested I'll post a link to some pics when I get time.

Tom, Would love to have any photos and updates on Big Boat Series. Half of your class are J125's. Any feelings about how the 400 will measure up in the conditions of SF Bay? Good luck to you, Bernie and the crew. I know you have all put a lot of effort into preparing for Big Boat.
Love ya, Janer

#1007 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Will probably be able to get pix going later today. The sporadic wireless connection at the ever elegant Cow Hollow seems to be on vacation most of the time.

The pros sailing with us (Kevin Miller / Malcolm Park) feel it's going to be a serious dog fight with us needing to make and consolidate our gains on the runs and work hard to stay in contact upwind. Conditions have been pretty variable. We practiced hard on Monday and had a repair day yesterday. Early during practice we had the boat going 20.9 in 24 kts. of breeze and flood conditions. Later the wind dialed up to 27 with some ebb showing on the water. The ebb created chop kept us from breaking our 21 kt. boat speed threshold. Fortunately for us much of Big Boat will take place in flood conditions. Yesterday brought somewhat lighter winds which we could probably do well in.

Light practice scheduled for today with registration, St. FYC activities and final prep this afternoon.

#1008 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

A little more...

Compared 125 and 400 polars at breakfast. The key for us seems to be getting to 16 kts. of breeze (probably a cinch in SF). At 16 we're the faster boat in our fleet which could prove to be a big advantage in picking lanes and staying in clear air.

#1009 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Will probably be able to get pix going later today. The sporadic wireless connection at the ever elegant Cow Hollow seems to be on vacation most of the time.

The pros sailing with us (Kevin Miller / Malcolm Park) feel it's going to be a serious dog fight with us needing to make and consolidate our gains on the runs and work hard to stay in contact upwind. Conditions have been pretty variable. We practiced hard on Monday and had a repair day yesterday. Early during practice we had the boat going 20.9 in 24 kts. of breeze and flood conditions. Later the wind dialed up to 27 with some ebb showing on the water. The ebb created chop kept us from breaking our 21 kt. boat speed threshold. Fortunately for us much of Big Boat will take place in flood conditions. Yesterday brought somewhat lighter winds which we could probably do well in.

Light practice scheduled for today with registration, St. FYC activities and final prep this afternoon.

I would think you would want an ebb so your downwind legs are longer time-wise since downwind legs are your strength and an ebb would shorten the time you are sailing up wind. No so?

#1010 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Very true Ship O Fools.

#1011 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

SOF... You are so far above average. Current is the biggest variable that completely destroys a handicap rating system. It's rather simple math. Sailing upwind against current favors the faster rated boat. Even more so if it's strength is upwind. Downwind with a current favors the slower rated boat. However, it doesn't equalize out in an upwind/downwind course. The gain going upwind against the current by the faster rated boat is not made up by the gain made by the slower rated boat downwind with the current.

#1012 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

SOF... You are so far above average. Current is the biggest variable that completely destroys a handicap rating system. It's rather simple math. Sailing upwind against current favors the faster rated boat. Even more so if it's strength is upwind. Downwind with a current favors the slower rated boat. However, it doesn't equalize out in an upwind/downwind course. The gain going upwind against the current by the faster rated boat is not made up by the gain made by the slower rated boat downwind with the current.

Did you read that in a book?

#1013 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

No. I wrote the book. I'll send you a copy when you turn double nickels.

#1014 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

No. I wrote the book. I'll send you a copy when you turn double nickels.

Which book is that?
I do remember reading a sailing book (well actually skimming and looking at pictures as we were trained to do in public school) years ago and you had written one of the chapters. I think there was even a picture of you in the book - though I am not sure that would have helped sales. I wondered how many people who read your chapter went on to a successful sailing career versus those that gave up sailing all together. Is that book still in print or was that one of the books society found socially unacceptable because it was about catamaran sailing and was burned at a book burning by US Sailing?

#1015 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

In large swells the 400 accelerates down the face of the approaching wave, takes off and then plows its blunt bow into the back side of the wave in front which causes deceleration - we don't knife through as well as a sharp bow. Experience here in the flood shows that the boat can stay on a plane longer in flat water. Sailed right in the right breeze the boat can be put up on a plane without the need of a wave to kick things off. Once planing in steady or increasing pressure spin trim, steering, main pumping and weight placement can keep the train rolling .

#1016 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

SoF, that really hurts. It was on the Mission Bay News and Review's best sellers list for 1 week back in 1985. All 12 copies were bought by my aunt.

#1017 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

SoF, that really hurts. It was on the Mission Bay News and Review's best sellers list for 1 week back in 1985. All 12 copies were bought by my aunt.

Catamaran Racing: for the 90's is available on Amazon. Wow . . . just like herpes, it won't go away.

"This book is a pool of thoughts of the World's Greatest sailors. It covers catamaran and trimaran tuning, boat handling, sail handling (including spinnakers/reachers/hooters), tactics, and much more. Written by the Hall-of-Famer and guru of multihulls, Rick White who tells it all, and then goes the extra mile to include chapters by such greats as Randy Smyth, . . . . Eric Sharp, National Journalist wrote, "It doesn't matter what kind of multihull you sail, or what size -- this book will make you better at it..."

"This book will make you better at it . . ." Better at what? Hooter handling? I wonder if Jimmy Spithill read your chapter - I'll ask him the next time I see him. The summary mentions that the book is a pool of thoughts -- were you the deep end or the shallow end?

#1018 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hmmm, wondering what happened to Rock & Roll at Big Boat yesterday. Looks like they did poorly in the bigger breeze in the second race. The J/125's corrected a full 10 minutes ahead of them.

Get in the groove Rock & Roll!

#1019 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Sadly the most popular combined SBYC and Sailing Club event, Goleta Beach Race and BBQ was cancelled. Seems the person in charge neglected to follow thru on planning the event, neglected to reserve the bbq and picnic area and then neglected to mention to anyone that he blew the whole thing out of the water

I'm puzzled - just how does your posting help the situation. Some one made a mistake - in volunteer organizations it happens.

I'm aghast that I disgruntled sailor, rating whiner would threaten to take back a perpetual trophy that he donated. That's what I call a MISTAKE.

#1020 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

As usual, Jane, you have not a clue what you are talking about but that never stops you.Why did you change the subject? - we were talking about your cheap shot at the Sailing Club.

#1021 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Salty Complainer,
My shot was not at the sailing club, it was towards my ex. Sorry you didn't get it but most people did. It was pretty much an inside joke. No big deal. But we are going to change the name of the trophy in question to "Sour Grapes Trophy". Get it?

#1022 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

TOMORROW, The Charity Regatta to benefit Hospice and Visiting Nurses. Festivities start at 12:30, followed by the race and auction. Most boats will have a guest driver, fireman, policeman, etc.which has been the MO since 9/11. Event chair Tom Parker has already raised over $100,000 in donations. It will be another great event for a great cause! Spectator boats available.

#1023 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

http://www.ktvu.com/...ne-crash/vdsPq/

Yacht club member and owner of Farr 40 Flyer, Stanford Shaw barely escaped with his life last night when he and his father crashed their airplane in the ocean near Big Sur. EPRIB's, a Coast Guard helicopter and police saved them!
Glad you made it Stanford.!!

#1024 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Catamaran Racing: for the 90's is available on Amazon. Wow . . . just like herpes, it won't go away.

"This book is a pool of thoughts of the World's Greatest sailors. It covers catamaran and trimaran tuning, boat handling, sail handling (including spinnakers/reachers/hooters), tactics, and much more. Written by the Hall-of-Famer and guru of multihulls, Rick White who tells it all, and then goes the extra mile to include chapters by such greats as Randy Smyth, . . . . Eric Sharp, National Journalist wrote, "It doesn't matter what kind of multihull you sail, or what size -- this book will make you better at it..."

"This book will make you better at it . . ." Better at what? Hooter handling? I wonder if Jimmy Spithill read your chapter - I'll ask him the next time I see him. The summary mentions that the book is a pool of thoughts -- were you the deep end or the shallow end?

I think your gene pool needs more chlorine.

#1025 full circle

full circle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yacht club member and owner of Farr 40 Flyer, Stanford Shaw barely escaped with his life last night when he and his father crashed their airplane in the ocean near Big Sur. EPRIB's, a Coast Guard helicopter and police saved them!

glad to hear they are both alright!

big sailboat rodeo in ventura this weekend(ventura cup/santa barbara channel challenge). who all is coming down from santa barbara?

#1026 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

big sailboat rodeo in ventura this weekend(ventura cup/santa barbara channel challenge). who all is coming down from santa barbara?

The Ventucky Bowl?

My Tractor rates 138!

Posted Image

#1027 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

http://abcnews.go.co...6UG1YVblA.email

It's now on the national news, we just need to thank the Coast Guard so much for rescueing our friends. Stanford and his father did all the right things to get the Coast Guard to their position,wearing life jackets and having a good EPRIB. It was tight on time. The plane sank moments after they picked up Stanford. THANK YOU COAST GUARD!!!

#1028 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

I saw all you guys on the KEYT News this morning!!

Hospice Regatta and the Sailors off that big Gray Navy Ship.

They kept talking about the "Taxi Dancer".....Go Jimmy

#1029 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

As far as I know, we have a 3 boat team, J/29, J/22 and J/92. The idea that one of our team has to do a non-spinnaker race is still so boring. Interest wanes. A tractor pull would be a bonus.

#1030 Jaded

Jaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

No where does it say you need a non-spinnaker boat in the The Ventucky Bowl.
I would sail with the J 92 and J 29 in the "B" fleet. This is a solid 1, 2 combo.
Looking forward to sailing against the 22.
I miss the spanking SBYC used to give the "A" fleet.

#1031 b green

b green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

I think Larry is thinking of a 1-1 combo....also looking forward to the c fleet race, what's the wind forecast?

#1032 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Saturday: SSE wind 5 to 10 kt becoming W in the morning. Sunny. Mixed swell...W 2 ft and S 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Saturday Night: W wind 5 to 10 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the evening. Mostly clear. Mixed swell...W 2 ft and S 3 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Sunday: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Sunny. Mixed swell...W 2 ft and S 3 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

#1033 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Sounds like good Tiger weather.....too bad I'm delivering down to SD

#1034 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

gonna be warm tho

#1035 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

Tomorrow's best picks:
Voting for Johnny D in the Farr 40 Worlds in Chicago
and Pat Toole in the J/24 Worlds in New York!
More cow bell!
Cheers to the Santa Barbara Yacht Club teams :)

#1036 Jaded

Jaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

Santa Barbara Yacht Club has a half point lead in the bowl after 2 races. 1 race tomorrow.

#1037 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Anyone take a photo of posted results? Can't find anything online tonight.

#1038 30Man

30Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

Can't believe no results online, even now!!

#1039 b green

b green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hard day, no wind to maybe 5 kts.....luck of the draw, one leg......sucked

#1040 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

Bummer, still no results?

#1041 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Attached File  First place CHRF compressed.jpg   82.49K   10 downloadsHot, light and shifty in SB today as well. CHRF race was won by the gorgeous Alerion 28 with Mary Lee and Andrew. Scott Deardorff took 3rd single handing a Harbor 20 and popped the chute at the start admirally in the easterly wind. Karen and Kevin RC! Thanks

#1042 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

Bummer, still no results?

They haven't invented the InterWebs in the Ventucky, yet!

#1043 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

Farmer Cup results.
Deke had it on FB.
Here you go.

Attached Files

#1044 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Had a fun time racing in the Ventura Cup. Ventura YC did a nice job running the event. Wish we had more boats in our class. Would be nice to see more YC & Sailing Club boats go down next year.

#1045 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Here's a few photos from slow-Sunday.
http://portraitinc.smugmug.com/Boats/2012-Ventura-Cup-Sunday/25414444_hHn4WX#!i=2091693192&k=9ShRtJ8

#1046 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

After first days, Johnnie D in fifth at Farr 40 Worlds, Pat Toole and crew in tenth at J-24 Worlds.

Go, go go!

#1047 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

Go Johnny!!!!!

http://regattanews.c...lid=0&cid=25287

#1048 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:36 AM

Attached File  25281_0_2_photo_F40W12ka_3371.jpg   55.8K   30 downloadsAttached File  25287_0_2_photo_F40W12ka_3708.jpg   48.12K   33 downloads

Things are looking hot in the Farr 40 worlds in Chicago. Some big winds and seas. Second race today was cancelled due rough conditions. Johnny D is definitely staying in the pack, now 5th overall, with one first under his belt. First place changed hands from Tranfusion to Flash Gordon. Sharon flew up there on Monday with the hopes of great shots in these conditions.Go Johnny, Go.
Great shots by Kurt Arrigo

#1049 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

Here's a few photos from slow-Sunday.
http://portraitinc.s...93192&k=9ShRtJ8

OMG, is this really a start from one of the races at the Ventucky Cup? Have I been out of local racing that long that starts have got this bad? Looks like a Starting Seminar is needed.

Posted Image

#1050 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:42 AM

well - Deke has a good start

#1051 Jaded

Jaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

The start was closer then it looks. I was OCS. We missed you out there Dawg. The weather was perfect Zap conditions.

#1052 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

At least they were at the leeward end! Waiting for you!

#1053 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

Next new Harbor 20 to join the Santa Barbara fleet will be here tomorrow.

#1054 swamp gas

swamp gas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

New Weapon Coming to Town....

Attached File  Crocketts' Rocket.jpg   44.4K   117 downloads

#1055 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

The cat is out.......not a bad new toy to play with

#1056 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

New Weapon Coming to Town....

Attached File  Crocketts' Rocket.jpg   44.4K   117 downloads

So excellent! New blood in the A fleet. Taxi will be gone next year on charter. It's great to see the A Fleet revived, for several years it was Taxi vs. Alchemy. Sweet to have so many boats of like size; Farr 40's, Farr 400, J/145 and Santa Cruz 52 and now a RP 48 in the A Fleet. Yippee!

#1057 DamnSkippy

DamnSkippy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

It's a RP45 Jane, 'Sjambok' : Sjambok (Sham-Bawk) is a cattle prod, a whip, a riding crop. You must own a few of these...come back luv!!

#1058 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

I just caught the title of the pic. Crockett's Rocket. Pretty funny, but that would be a good boat name, or "King of the Wild Frontier".
Attached File  Davy Crockett.jpg   20.96K   6 downloads

OK Skippy, you were right. Not about the whip, etc. luv to you too. By the way you are looking good. :)

#1059 Nick G

Nick G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Life long SF Bay - Ocean Sailor.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

Gonna need more wind than your average Wet Wednesday and you better get the kelp cutter sharpened.

#1060 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

according to the web site the RP 45 draws a little over 10 feet. That could get interesting.

#1061 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Last year he had a little yellow Harbor 20, his first sailboat. In the next couple of weeks the new J/70 arrives along with Crockett's Rocket, RP 45. Congrats Eli!! Welcome to the frey. Looking forward to playing with you on the big blue.

#1062 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Eli has had boats in the past.....both sail & power. This should be fun.

#1063 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

This weekend is looking like max fun at the East/West Harbor 20 Challenge at Newport Harbor Yacht Club. 4 teams are participating: Hilton Head YC, Annapolis, Santa Barbara YC and Newport Harbor YC. Four boats on each team. SBYC is going with skippers Scott Deardorff, Al Salzer,Rich Miller and Chester Gillmore. Thanks to Scott for bringing down an SBYC spectator/photo boat!

Looking at the charts of the back harbor, there will be lots of tidal current to deal with. A different ball game for us as we sail the Harbor 20's on the open ocean and fly spinnakers in SB. An anomoly to the challengers who sail inside the harbor with no spinnakers.

Looking forward to seeing how we do under these conditions. One thing for sure, the parties planned sound excellent.(although pricey).The regatta chairs have put a great effort into guest housing. I'm looking forward an afternoon cocktail on a nice 50 foot power boat with a couple of SB gal sailors after sailing and prepping for the parties. (Thanks Kenny, Mary and Wayne)
Will report back....

#1064 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

East West Harbor 20 Challenge: Tough conditions, great racing, open bar, great food, wonderful hospitality. Congrats to Scott Deardorff and Matt Wilson, 2nd overall! 16 boats, 4 yacht clubs: Newport Harbor YC, Santa Barbara YC, Hilton Head YC and Annapolis.
Attached File  Matt & Scott compressede.jpg   103.35K   55 downloads Matt & Scott
Attached File  Comp Downwind.jpg   83.54K   59 downloads Fleet downwind
Attached File  Al w girls.jpg   69.33K   36 downloads Karen, Al & Sandra

#1065 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

First place was Tom and Jane Schock (hmm) who happened to be sailing for Annapolis Yacht Club instead of Newport Harbor (?). Third place was local Karl Pomeroy who was also sailing for Annapolis (huh?).

The remained of the Santa Barbara team (Ann Hutchins, Chester Gillmore, Bill Bench, Al Salzer, Rich Miller and Tom Kelleway) were quite a bit further down in the food chain. It was a steep learning curve as we are accustomed to sailing our Harbor 20's on the open ocean with spinnakers in Santa Barbara.

Breeze was 4-10 knots with 4 races per day. So much fun!
Attached File  Tough roundings3.jpg   34.28K   31 downloads Rounding
Attached File  Party time on the Duffy.jpg   42.9K   49 downloads Cocktails on the Duffy
Attached File  Cocktails on the big boat.jpg   40.11K   49 downloadsAnn and Sandra, cocktails on the big boat.
Attached File  Kevin in his niche.jpg   87.9K   32 downloads Then maybe more cocktails with Kevin

#1066 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

Consider it a standing invite for the SBs to come down more often and soak up the local knowledge :)

#1067 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks 6924! Great times. I'm pretty sure SBYC won the dance contest. So great to meet and sail and party with sailors from Annapolis and Hilton Head. And the Newport folks, I can't say enough about the hospitality. New friends who took such great care of us. We are planning a new regatta in SB, South Coast vs. Central Coast. Looking forward to pay backs on your hospitality and taking you on the open ocean with aso's.

#1068 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

Looking Large! The Crockett Rocket arrived in SB today, very impressive. She will be in the yard for about a month, repainted and getting ready for next season. Congrats to Eli on his new project. Can't wait to see her splashed.
Attached File  Rocket arrival.jpg   130.16K   143 downloads
Attached File  Rocket keel.jpg   89.66K   126 downloads

#1069 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

Campbell Cup is ON in Long Beach. 5 Sleds and 8 Farr 40's. Local team Skian Dhu is in 4th in the Farr Class after today with 12 points.Dark Star (4) is pretty much sweeping the competition, followed by Viva la Vida (10), and JoAnn (11) so it's still a fight tomorrow.

Taxi Dancer with Roy Pat Disney driving is tied for 4th in the sled fleet. Holua leading followed by Alchemy and GI.

Lots of roundings and a long day means it's time for beverage and jacuzzi. Go teams!
A great event in honor of a wonderful man. RIP Mike Campbell.

#1070 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Attached File  JoAnn and Skian Dhu.jpg   36.93K   22 downloads
Sounds like the Campbell Cup was a blast. Local boat Taxi Dancer came in 3rd. Winner was Brack Duker with Holua, a long, long time sled owner/driver, 2nd Alchemy and 4th Ed McDowell who still drives his same boat Grand Illusion after 20 years. Nice. Ed's boat is named by his hobby which is magic tricks. Long live the sled class!

The Farr 40 class had 8 boats. Jeff Janov ruled the fleet on Dark Star, Viva la Vida second and Skian Dhu was third overall. Tight racing with overlaps at the finish. Victoria Hamilton was there to give out trophies.

Photo credit due: I think is JoySailing. Photo JoAnn and Skian Dhu

#1071 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Is that RP 45 in da wata yet?

#1072 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

Max..nope. Upgrades in process. You should come down to the harbor some time and check it out. Secret stuff in the back of the yard.

This weekend we have two teams from SBYC doing the Jean Schenck Memorial Team Race in Newport: Scott Deardorff and Kent Pierce on one team, Ken Kieding and Eric Stokke on the other. There are 9 teams doing round robin in Harbor 20's. Winning team will be awarded an invitation to the Baldwin Cup next year.

Some well known names in the lineup:Russ Silvestri and Craig Fletcher sailing for St. Francis. Bill Menninger sailing for Newport. It's not an easy venue. I'm putting money on our team. Our best guys in small boats and Harbor 20's. Bring it!

#1073 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

I'm betting on Menninger.

#1074 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

4:4 team racing in Hatbor 20s is brutal

#1075 And 1

And 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

It is 2x2 not 4x4. Prediction
1) NHYC Bar Code
2) SDYC
3) Balboa # 1
4) NHYC Tweed (menninger)
5) Up for grabs
Sorry Janer, No disrespect as SBYC may be good but gotta get at least one of these under belt before any talk of winning!

#1076 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Interesting prediction, I would have put Menninger at the top. You're predicting St. Francis and SBYC to be at the bottom? Can't find any results yet for the first day of racing.
No apologies needed, I will always promote my home team.
xx janer

#1077 And 1

And 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

I didn't put STFYC and SBYC at the bottom as there are 9 teams. When you are talking team racing and putting a Menninger on top you think of his kids Michael and Marla who are world class. Both are sailing the US team race champs which will end today at Larchmont. NHYC has 4 sailors racing the "Hinman" including 2 former champs. $Bill is a decent team racer (still learning) and fast in H20. He usually crews on the A team. His speed would have been huge yesterday as it was light and crappy conditions and that is where the fast boats stand out. His teammate is pretty good but not consistent. Russ is also newer to team racing although doing a lot of it lately but i would rank him 5th on the depth chart in this regatta and not sure who his 2nd teammate is. NHYC Bar code is easily the best team on paper but 2x2 is crazy and yesterday was hideous so ya never know. Hope your guys do well and have a great experience. The Harbor 20 team race thing is a lot of fun.

#1078 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

St Francis 2nd team is I believe Craig Fletcher, long time aggressive local sailor. What do you mean by hideous? No wind and lots of traffic is what I saw down there 2 weeks ago. Thanks for keeping us posted. Speaking of "posted" any idea where the results are? B)

#1079 And 1

And 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

i saw Fletch in entries just didn't think he would be 2nd skipper, but didn't see any of their other team racers that I know. That is why I didn't rank them in the top 4. If he is driving then STFYC has little chance of making the top 5. STFYC definitely is not sending their best to the event. NHYC doesn't always promptly post results. Same old no wind but should be less traffic with possible rain in forecast. Best time to sail inside in Newport is when rain is predicted because you usually get wind (except this time) and the traffic is light. Unfortunately weddings are planned months in advance so can't do anything about the Hornblower wedding armada.

#1080 And 1

And 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

NHYC has a webcam where you can kinda sorta see the action. Located on left hand side of home page nhyc.org

http://www.nhyc.org/...id=210138&vnf=1

#1081 And 1

And 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Results are up https://docs.google....d=1&output=html

STFYC didn't win any races in first round robin.

#1082 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

And 1,
Well, damn, your predictions came to fruition for the most part. Thanks for your help in updates and the link to the video cam. I see that damn dredge is still pretty much in the middle of the race course. Local knowledge ruled! I'm just glad we had a team there to compete. Great guys and great sailors.
Best, Janer

#1083 And 1

And 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

predicted all the top 4 teams but wrong order. HUGE win for Bill and Tommy. Since not enough time for 2nd round robin they went straight to knock out and they beat bar code for the win. Tommy said everyone was coming up saying "I can't believe you guys won". Not exactly what you want to hear but better than not winning. And that is why we race!

#1084 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

Thanks, And 1, for posting the results. There were a number of us H20 sailors back here in SB waiting to see how things went. Good job to my SBYC buddies for participating! The rest of us were back here on our piece of the ocean enjoying H20 racing today with spinnakers. Much fun!

#1085 And 1

And 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Bill's daughter Marla was on the winning team today at US team race champs and son Michael was on 2nd place team. not a bad day to be a Menninger!

#1086 Clockwork

Clockwork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Wow...That was a mind bender. As Kent said..'Feels good to get the rust off'. I think we did well for our first run at team racing. Learned a lot! Kent did a great job communicating and calling team tactics on Sunday and the results show with 3 W's. (I need practice on impementation) Kenny and Eric were great team players and put up with a few of my crazy maneuvers that didn't pan out.

SBYC was well represented in the rain gutter races on Saturday night. Kent designed an awesome trimaran and we made it to the semi-finals. I got a penalty (shot of rum) that knocked the wind out of me in our last race. Another display of over the top NHYC hospitality. Great fun and flawless race committee in challenging conditions.

I'll be back next year if my nuts can take the punishment.

#1087 Rubber Duck

Rubber Duck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

If anyone is interested I am bringing an Open 5.70 up to SB for the Goblin 26 - 28. I will be around all afternoon Friday, and the weekend if anyone would like to check out the boat or go for a demo sail. I grew up on the Mesa, learned to race from Johnny D, and have been looking for an excuse to get back and play on the home waters. Hope to see some familiar faces.

Nick

Attached File  5.70sSarcoma Cup-009.jpg   108.79K   10 downloads

#1088 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Under the topic "Weird and shitty news" J/24 sailors the Tunbergs had their power boat broken into yesterday in Marina One and the perps ransacked it. Fortunately the Tunbergs had recently moved most of their belongings to their new boat. The stuff stolen, keys,operating instructions, and boating goodies, which the perps loaded onto a neighbor's dinghy (Noury), stole that boat and shot across the harbor to the beach. They appeared to be celebrating their catch (rumored to include a little sexual romp) when the cops got there. (Hello, is this all your stuff? and could you put your pants on). Most of the missing stuff was recovered. WTF?

Much sadder news, a surfer lost his life today at Surf Beach, near Lompoc. another shark attack. Condolences to his surfer pals who tried to save him :(

#1089 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Is Crotch Rocket done?

#1090 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Too many bats in your cave max?

Attached File  Scary.jpg   19.33K   1 downloads

#1091 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Attached File  J 70.jpg   75.37K   33 downloads

Very cool, three new J/70's delivered to SB today. Congrats to John Coye, Eli Parker, Mike Drammer and Ken Kieding. Let the games begin!

#1092 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Cool! Look forward to racing the 70's with the 80 and it should be fun. More B fleet.

Sailed in LA on Hot Rum in the Castillion Classic this weekend. Fun racing.

Saw a J 111 there and it is a pretty boat. J boats are making some fine looking boats nowadays.

#1093 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Congrats to John Coye! His new J/70 Sloop John B was splashed yesterday and will be racing tomorrow.

Eli's Crockett's Rocket is looking very cool.

Attached File  Eli and his new Rocket.jpg   131.8K   118 downloads

#1094 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Here comes the rain!

#1095 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

OK, I have never witnessed anything like this. Last race of a season championship, two boats are virtually tied for first place going into today's race. The biggest and fastest boat in today's fleet is not in the running due to lack of participation in previous races. The big boat is winning handily when she suddenly does a 180 and heads towards the fleet behind her. She blankets one of the 1st place contenders allowing her friend, the other contender, to surge ahead. I don't believe there were any fouls and no protests were filed. Any comments?

#1096 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

I believe there is a rule against this.

Jeff Johnson did it during a Cal 20 National Championship regatta @1985 and the rule writers made a rule against such behaivior. In Johnsons case he was leading the regatta and he broke off the windward leg he was winning and went and camped on the boat that was second in the series that was on the downwind leg. He harrased the boat and cut the leeward mark to flagrantly slow them down. On their next leg even.

Because the regatta had a throwout, Johnson figured if the second place series boat got a bad enough finish, he was assured not having to sail the last race. It was appealed and Johnson was chucked for unsportsmanlike conduct i think.
Now there is a rule against this behaivior. But if i am not mistaken it is only relevant if the bad behaivior boat breaks off their leg.

#1097 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Btw who were the players?

#1098 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

Btw who were the players?

Boat A

and

Boat B

Vying for the Guacamole Bowl.

Since when did anything in North Ventucky amount to a bowl of Beans?

#1099 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Jan er,

Shun forevermore at the bar is the best method of punishment.

#1100 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I believe there is a rule against this.

Jeff Johnson did it during a Cal 20 National Championship regatta @1985 and the rule writers made a rule against such behaivior. In Johnsons case he was leading the regatta and he broke off the windward leg he was winning and went and camped on the boat that was second in the series that was on the downwind leg. He harrased the boat and cut the leeward mark to flagrantly slow them down. On their next leg even.

Because the regatta had a throwout, Johnson figured if the second place series boat got a bad enough finish, he was assured not having to sail the last race. It was appealed and Johnson was chucked for unsportsmanlike conduct i think.
Now there is a rule against this behaivior. But if i am not mistaken it is only relevant if the bad behaivior boat breaks off their leg.

Wasn't that the issue with Bertrand and Silvestri at the 84 Finn trials? Silvestri had a big lead, so he started early and dumped on Bertrand in the last race, and eventually got tossed for it. Cost him the spot in the Olympics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users