1746 replies to this topic

#1101 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

OK, I have never witnessed anything like this. Last race of a season championship, two boats are virtually tied for first place going into today's race. The biggest and fastest boat in today's fleet is not in the running due to lack of participation in previous races. The big boat is winning handily when she suddenly does a 180 and heads towards the fleet behind her. She blankets one of the 1st place contenders allowing her friend, the other contender, to surge ahead. I don't believe there were any fouls and no protests were filed. Any comments?

that really sucks

#1102 M48

M48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Case 34 does not quite fit the situation. However, I would contend that a boat from fleet "A" that purposely hinders a boat in another fleet has broken Rule 2, Fair Sailing & 69.1, Gross Misconduct. Not sure, but the effected boat should be able to protest fleet A boat (which really doesn't matter, except to have that boat banned) AND then ask for redress when hindrance took place (to possibly toss the race).

#1103 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Attached File  photo.JPG   114.44K   94 downloads Lazy sheet!

#1104 b green

b green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

All this over a CHRF race?

#1105 timmytwinstay

timmytwinstay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

OK, I have never witnessed anything like this. Last race of a season championship, two boats are virtually tied for first place going into today's race. The biggest and fastest boat in today's fleet is not in the running due to lack of participation in previous races. The big boat is winning handily when she suddenly does a 180 and heads towards the fleet behind her. She blankets one of the 1st place contenders allowing her friend, the other contender, to surge ahead. I don't believe there were any fouls and no protests were filed. Any comments?

You must be getting forgetful. The yellow boat and the burgundy boat (with the same hand on the helm) have both done it on several occasions in years past. I think you were even on one of boats they came back and blanketed.

#1106 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

Wrong again. I sailed on Taxi the years that Don Hughes owned it. Don never drove the red boat.

#1107 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

All this over a CHRF race?

That's not the point. I was asking for comments on the situation. I just wanted to find out if there was a rule for this besides "unsportsman like conduct".
B)

Since you were in the race maybe you could describe what you saw. I was on Race Committee.

#1108 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

Seems like it's a violation of rule 41.
"

41 OUTSIDE HELP

A boat shall not receive help from any outside source, except

(a) help for an ill or injured crew member;

(B) after a collision, help from the crew of the other boat to get

clear;

© help in the form of information freely available to all boats;

(d) unsolicited information from a disinterested source, which may

be another boat in the same race.

#1109 timmytwinstay

timmytwinstay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

Wrong again. I sailed on Taxi the years that Don Hughes owned it. Don never drove the red boat.

It was not Don. You know who it was. Don't misdirect.

#1110 b green

b green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

I rounded h right behind the red boat, we both set, and sailed low of the BB. As we were headed I went to whites and they looked like they were having problems with the kite. We rolled the H20 before the BB and I looked to see the red boat still having problems...not hurting any one. The last leg was a tight run to the out side pin. We finished and saw liberty and max both in clear air on the last leg with the red boat on whites still looking like they had problems. I did not see any interference, but I was racing and could not view everything. During the beat to H most boats went in with psyche song, the red boat and myself went out, no interference, not sure about the BB rounding, the red boat had a very poor race. B

#1111 M48

M48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Much ado about nothing; a waste of time .... Consider the source (North Ventucky psycho babble-blues).

#1112 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Its raining.
Surf is going to be up this weekend.
Wind?

#1113 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Its raining.
Wind?

Not much wind until Sunday and even then not howling by any stretch of the imagination.

#1114 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

It was not Don. You know who it was. Don't misdirect.

Someone got buzzed that day as I remember.

#1115 swamp gas

swamp gas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Rocket on the launching pad !!!

Attached Files

#1116 gotoweather

gotoweather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

I was checking out 'the rocket' in the yard last Sunday. I noticed the keel was set up for a not-yet-installed kelp cutter. The rudder was still covered for painting. I was wondering if there's any anti-kep provisioning for the rudder as well?

#1117 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Whats a Kep?

#1118 gotoweather

gotoweather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Well, DUH! Korean Electric Power. You don't want to snag a utility on your rudder.

#1119 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

Brown leafy and stringy stuff that affects race results if not properly dealt with.

#1120 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

Its raining.
Wind?

Not much wind until Sunday and even then not howling by any stretch of the imagination.

It's been raining most of the day. The local weatherman (not always to be believed) says the next storm hits tomorrow into Sat and then the BIG one hits on Sunday. No wind?, lots of :ph34r: rain and big swells does not sound good to me so I am hoping for wind. I'm just glad I'm crewing on Skian Dhu rather than driving a Harbor 20. It's the Holiday Regatta both days which will decide some of the yearly Championship winners. Go Skian Dhu! A crew bottle of Mt. Gay will be in order (along with a change of clothes). :)

#1121 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

I was checking out 'the rocket' in the yard last Sunday. I noticed the keel was set up for a not-yet-installed kelp cutter. The rudder was still covered for painting. I was wondering if there's any anti-kep provisioning for the rudder as well?

Yeah, Sharks with Laser Beams!

#1122 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

I'm just glad that Janer is sailing rather than doing race committee again......

#1123 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Muddy, I give back to the sport as much as I can, race committee, regatta chair and race as much as I can. I have a distinct feeling that you do nothing in these venues. This sport would not survive without lots of volunteers. :rolleyes:

#1124 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

How long has it been since a racer came up to the race committee after the race and thanked them for giving up their time so the rest of us can play? On my boat we wave thanks to the race committee every time we cross the finish line. Even though they cannot hear it we always say it so the crew understands it takes work for races to happen.

#1125 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

I make a point to wave to the RC volunteers always regardless of race finish-ALWAYS. Doing RC is a job and without volunteers, racing would be rabbits starts galore.

#1126 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Its raining.
Wind?

It's been raining most of the day. The local weatherman (not always to be believed) says the next storm hits tomorrow into Sat and then the BIG one hits on Sunday. No wind?, lots of :ph34r: rain and big swells does not sound good to me so I am hoping for wind. I'm just glad I'm crewing on Skian Dhu rather than driving a Harbor 20. It's the Holiday Regatta both days which will decide some of the yearly Championship winners. Go Skian Dhu! A crew bottle of Mt. Gay will be in order (along with a change of clothes). :)

I will assume the racing is right off the club tomorrow from 12 noon - about 4PM. Looking dismal from a wind strength standpoint. A solid West swell probably won't be surf-able by anyone other than jet skis and surf/paddle boards. Sorry folks. Not much better (At the moment) for Sunday...

#1127 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Its raining.
Wind?

I will assume the racing is right off the club tomorrow from 12 noon - about 4PM. Looking dismal from a wind strength standpoint. A solid West swell probably won't be surf-able by anyone other than jet skis and surf/paddle boards. Sorry folks. Not much better (At the moment) for Sunday...

Oh, fine!!

#1128 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

After a long day of racing with little wind and rain I am very sad to hear that Barry Berkus passed away today. An icon in Santa Barbara as a sailor, advocate of the arts, and internationally known architect. A wonderful man. My heart goes out to his family. RIP Barry.

#1129 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Crap, nothing travels faster than BAD news.
Flew for Barry and he recently flew with me in the front seat and told me about his sailing and Olympics adventures.
Barry was a great man and a great visionary.
Condolences to the Berkus family.

#1130 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Crap, nothing travels faster than BAD news.
Flew for Barry and he recently flew with me in the front seat and told me about his sailing and Olympics adventures.
Barry was a great man and a great visionary.
Condolences to the Berkus family.

Sail on, Barry.

Happy Birthday, MadMax!

#1131 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Condolences to the family and friends. Hard time of year to lose someone although no time is a good time. The holidays seem to be an especially difficult time to lose a loved one. God Speed Barry.

#1132 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

It was a slow, wet two days for the SBYC Holiday Regatta. Nonetheless, it was fun watching Mike Drammer and Eli Parker's new J-70, Roxie's Rocket. compete. They won their first regatta in the PHRF B fleet. Saturday's crew included Mike, Eric Stokke and Ken Kieding. Looking forward to seeing more in 2013 from a new and growing J-70 fleet locally.
Attached File  RR.jpg   89.45K   58 downloads

#1133 swamp gas

swamp gas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Attached File  IMG_1169.JPG   98.9K   164 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1166.JPG   131.06K   163 downloads

Launch......

#1134 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

SWEET!

#1135 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Santa Cruz Island has been "shut down" by authorities following the death of a Coast Guard Officer over the weekend. The Coast Guard discovered a panga near Santa Cruz Island in the middle of the night and launched a 21 foot rigid hull inflatable which approached the panaga. Occupants did not respond to hail and sped toward the Coast Guard launch, hitting it and killing Terrell Horne, 34, who died of a head injury. Authorities evacuated the island of visitors and Park employees, Several bales of marajuana were found yesterday near Smugglers Cove (fitting name). There may possibly be suspects at large on the island.Occupants of the panga were pursued by Coast Guard helo and cutter and taken into custody. Pangas are being found lately at Refugio, San Miguel Island and Fernald Point.

Terrell Horne RIP

#1136 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,199 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

I have no idea if any of you from SB knew "RUDY" Jarabak
but ya should as he sailed out of SB "Forever"
we had our ties and differences
but the topic of sailing was always our neutral ground
if ya did know him would love to hear your stories
if you didn't know him - Well let's say ya missed out !!!

Posted Image

OMBAC - Old Mission Beach Athletic Club · 1,236 like this

• Late this afternoon, Rudy Jarabak passed away. As you all know, he was a member of many years. Rudy was deeply rooted in OMBAC from Rugby, to OMGarage, and he was the OTL set-up King! Rudy could be a real pain in the ass, but he was OUR pain in the ass. We will all miss him.

May he ride that Hi-Lift in the sky to a place where there's no pain, no suffering, and every day is the 1st day of the 1st weekend of OTL.

God bless him
Posted Image

Dennis St. Onge shared OMBAC - Old Mission Beach Athletic Club's

WORD !!! RUDY was RUDY and the World was on Notice !! If ya knew him ya know that's all ya need to say about that! Was great to see him this past OTL he even sliped out of character and was nice a few times :-0

To know him was to Love/Hate him. He was and shall ever be Larger than Life !!!! If ya don't wash em his outfit (Boots Pants Shirt & hat) of the past "Forever" OTL's should stand up on there own. He Will be at OTL as long as there is OTL his Sprit went Far beyond the Here and Now.

I won't say RUDY is going to Heaven but where ever he winds up Just You Gutta know that between Chuck, FOX, Spinny and RUDY (and the others) when we show they'll have everything set up and ready to play (RUDY will have the arm bands for the women)

and now it's time to pay respect to yet another fallen OMBAC Warrior - Fill yer glass an make a toast !!!!

#1137 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

You must be getting forgetful. The yellow boat and the burgundy boat (with the same hand on the helm) have both done it on several occasions in years past. I think you were even on one of boats they came back and blanketed.

OK, memory refreshed with the help of crew mates. I miss read your statement, I thought you were saying I was on the egregious boat, but you are right. I was on the boat that got blanketed by the 70 that Jimbo was driving. I don't think there was any protest action taken, just a lot of bad vibes..sorry my memory is seeped in rum, At any rate, it's a shitty move to pull in any race.

#1138 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

OK, memory refreshed with the help of crew mates. I miss read your statement, I thought you were saying I was on the egregious boat, but you are right. I was on the boat that got blanketed by the 70 that Jimbo was driving. I don't think there was any protest action taken, just a lot of bad vibes..sorry my memory is seeped in rum, At any rate, it's a shitty move to pull in any race.

Totally agree. I started racing in Marina del Rey in 1970. It may be the fog of years but it seems to be that the corinthian spirit was more alive then. Lately it seems anything goes. I am sorry but to me that lacks class, regardless of the skill level of the perpetrator.

#1139 irievibe

irievibe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:R/C Flying, Guitar, Babies (4 month old:)

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

To set the record straight (on the original matter:), the blanketing at the BB was truly a coincidence as the red boat was flying with a little less talent than normal. We've all had those days. Also, it wasn't actually a 180. A crew member on our boat is still convinced she never rounded H, as the maneuver was more than curious. In retracing it, it still makes no sense how she ended up so far up wind, and so far past lay, on a downwind leg, but it happened, and the timing is crazy how we came together. I mean really, to plan that tack/jibe (which way was she going again?;) and end up blanketing at the mark perfectly would be more than impressive. As much as it hurt for a season decider, it was a lot of fun, which is what this fleet is all about.

I think the most appropriate response to this issue was:
"Shun forevermore at the bar is the best method of punishment."
Glad to hear the issue has come up in other races. I was curious as I couldn't think of an actual rule on that. It seems you would be hard pressed to prove intention there.

It's great that our little fleet is having such a competitive run right up to the end of the season, which will be settled . . .

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY (not quite Ventucky here, but thought I'd include that for fun)

#1140 timmytwinstay

timmytwinstay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

To set the record straight (on the original matter:), the blanketing at the BB was truly a coincidence as the red boat was flying with a little less talent than normal. We've all had those days. Also, it wasn't actually a 180. A crew member on our boat is still convinced she never rounded H, as the maneuver was more than curious. In retracing it, it still makes no sense how she ended up so far up wind, and so far past lay, on a downwind leg, but it happened, and the timing is crazy how we came together. I mean really, to plan that tack/jibe (which way was she going again?;)/> and end up blanketing at the mark perfectly would be more than impressive. As much as it hurt for a season decider, it was a lot of fun, which is what this fleet is all about.

Glad to hear the issue has come up in other races. I was curious as I couldn't think of an actual rule on that. It seems you would be hard pressed to prove intention there.

It's great that our little fleet is having such a competitive run right up to the end of the season, which will be settled . . .

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY (not quite Ventucky here, but thought I'd include that for fun)

Solve the problems made on the race course in the bar. Isn't this the first suggestion of most every repeat offender (no disrespect to Larry). In fact, if everyone raced as cleanly as Larry, Jane would not have even broached the subject.

But they don't all race cleanly in Santa Barbara do they. A small group has for years periodically done just the opposite. Whether it is calling for sea room and waiting a few extra boat lengths to tack, circling back to blanket or starboard tack a boat in another class or stripping PHRF boats before you race them, it is all the same BS and Santa Barbara has seen too much of it over the years.

The solution is simple. Don't take it to the bar, throw them out. If you do not, our children will be dealing with the same problem, because cheating breeds cheating.

#1141 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

To set the record straight (on the original matter:), the blanketing at the BB was truly a coincidence as the red boat was flying with a little less talent than normal. We've all had those days. Also, it wasn't actually a 180. A crew member on our boat is still convinced she never rounded H, as the maneuver was more than curious. In retracing it, it still makes no sense how she ended up so far up wind, and so far past lay, on a downwind leg, but it happened, and the timing is crazy how we came together. I mean really, to plan that tack/jibe (which way was she going again? ;) and end up blanketing at the mark perfectly would be more than impressive. As much as it hurt for a season decider, it was a lot of fun, which is what this fleet is all about.

I get it, no malice. Other skippers may not be pleased to learn that the largest and fastest boat in the fleet is careening around the course, out of control but having a ball. On our boat, before each race we evaluate our crew d'jour in terms of numbers and experience level. If I do not feel totally comfortable that we can race safely, we go for a day sail instead so I can do some teaching. This past year we have done a lot more day-sailing than racing but that is just the way it is.

#1142 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Attached File  Rocket maiden voyage.jpg   209.68K   189 downloads

Crockett's Rocket Maiden Voyage
No wind but she was still moving. Congrats Eli.

Attached File  Rocket with chute.jpg   91.72K   226 downloads

Attached File  Rocket.jpg   251.92K   161 downloads

#1143 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

Peel that slam crap off!

#1144 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Peel that slam crap off!

$$$$$$$$

#1145 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

Now have four J70's sold. There are 40 boats racing in the up coming Key West Race Week. Dave Ullman has a boat on order. Over 300 boats sold world wide. (I know...get an advertisement :)

#1146 Geko

Geko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

I ran across this from Key West 09 and couldn't stop laughing, sorry Jeff.

Attached File  CIMG1404.jpg   392.48K   27 downloads

#1147 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Good times!

Lounge Act, Johnny D and Deneen are off to Key West again next month.

#1148 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Breeze ON!

#1149 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Perfect J105 weather. I can't wait for the Hot Rum Series.

#1150 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Same as it ever was.....Talking Heads

#1151 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

mr. slob,you call that juciy gossip? What are you 13? I was more hoping for an update on the Xmas Parade. I saw that Rudolph got replaced by an Ullman code zero on the Farr 40, Crockett Rocket got a new racoon fur lined toilet seat AND dual fur wheels included. Not quite as awesome as your "news", but I am still trying to get pics of what ever was going on up in the rigging on Taxi, could be juicy.

Attached File  SBYC-X-mas-2012.jpg   94.28K   10 downloads

#1152 poncho

poncho

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

an Ullman code zero? how weak is that. Go with the real sailmakers.

#1153 opusone

opusone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Attached File  Rocket maiden voyage.jpg   209.68K   189 downloads

Crockett's Rocket Maiden Voyage
No wind but she was still moving. Congrats Eli.

Attached File  Rocket with chute.jpg   91.72K   226 downloads

Attached File  Rocket.jpg   251.92K   161 downloads

Great Looking Ride - cannot wait to see the R/P on January 5 for the Malibu and return. We are coming up from Newport. We'll see how much on or off pace we are - still working on our light air performance.

Is the R/P staying with Evolution sails or going with North? Quantum? Is Transpac on the calendar?

Cheers,

opusone

#1154 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Malibu & Return. Every time I have done one of those races, it blows 6 gusting to 7.

#1155 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,199 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Malibu & Return. Every time I have done one of those races, it blows 6 gusting to 7.

On the nose both ways ???

#1156 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ullman Code Zero's are very fast Ponch.

On the nose Woodster.

#1157 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Another J/70 coming to town! Congrats to Chris and Cuyler.
This is going to be a fun fleet! :D

#1158 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Taxi, Rock & Roll & the Rocket will be travelling down to the Malibu & Return Race this weekend. Hoping to get at least a little bit of wind.

#1159 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

as of now I wouldn't count on much.....may want to bring the wind seeker down as an extra passenger tomorrow

#1160 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Taxi, Rock & Roll & the Rocket will be travelling down to the Malibu & Return Race this weekend. Hoping to get at least a little bit of wind.

That's about all you'll get, a "Little" wind. My report is showing light wind (5kt) all day. On the Plus Side, it's supposed to be mostly sunny, and relatively warm!

#1161 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

91 boats now signed up for the Malibu & Return Race!!!

#1162 Jaded

Jaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

How was the Malibu race?

#1163 opusone

opusone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

How was the Malibu race?

We had a great time - rounded the weather mark with the Farr 400, Margaritaville, Elixir and Crockets Rocket - all about within a minute of each other. Fun racing except for the wind dying about 500 yards from the finish.

We finished before the sun went down....

Cheers,

opusone

#1164 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Pendragon took the win in AA in the dying breeze

#1165 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

http://www.dryc.org/...-Standings.aspx

Results are up

#1166 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Same as it ever was.

#1167 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Nice job by Crockett's Rocket on their first race :D

#1168 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Keith L,

That is a pretty vague and negative comment coming from you. Not cool considering you are in the business and should know that making derogatory comments about another company that are so out of line gets you no where right?

#1169 30Man

30Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Seems like the Del Rey committee work needs some improvement. There are a number of boats listed as DNF that did finish.

#1170 poncho

poncho

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Keith L,

That is a pretty vague and negative comment coming from you. Not cool considering you are in the business and should know that making derogatory comments about another company that are so out of line gets you no where right?

Just stating the facts. All true, right? and I'm not in the business.

#1171 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

That statement had no facts in it Keith. Just because you don't officially work for Quantum anymore doesn't mean your not affiliated.

We make great Code 0's and are 'real' sailmakers so no your 'facts' were not correct.

Good luck on your book and I wish you well as I have has fun times racing with you.

#1172 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I had heard about "the book". Any guesses on what the title will be?

#1173 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

'Back When Sailing Was Fun'

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00ANDSM7C

#1174 poncho

poncho

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I had heard about "the book". Any guesses on what the title will be?

Mae west also said "an orgasm a day keeps the doctor away", and thanks for the plug! Another option is my publisher
www.starpath.com for printed copies. Autographed if you wish!! Book #2 is called "Sailing is still fun" 1/3 done.
Klo

#1175 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

C'Mon, KLo and KMag,

Posted Image

#1176 Scrub a Dub

Scrub a Dub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Diving, Fishing

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Crockett's Rocket Taking the Start in Del Rey last weekend.

Attached File  Rocket Start.jpg   69.13K   126 downloads

Attached File  Rocket after Start.jpg   71.06K   120 downloads

#1177 thump

thump

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hey SB Readers, before posting on SA Classifieds I wanted to give you notice that our Melges 24 "Thumper" is for sale. If you're interested, please do your research and make an offer. The M24 Worlds are this year in SF, so you better hurry!

Details:
  • Hull 141
  • Trailer is 2001 and in good condition
  • Full travel covers in good condition
  • Keel delrins need replacing, I believe Chris has new minus 2 pieces in storage, functional now but slight movement
  • Large inventory of sails, but all in practice / wet wednesday condition

PM if you're interested.

#1178 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

HOWDIDHOTRUMGO?

#1179 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Another J70 on its way to the Santa Barbara fleet. That will make five boats & counting!!!

#1180 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Does anyone know why the MDR Malibu and return race results were changed? They now show Holua (Brack) beating both Pendragon and Taxi Dancer. :wacko:

#1181 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I know the Bouy rating was entered on Pendragon instead of the Random leg rating. I heard some of the sled's rating's were not accurate as well.

#1182 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

How come no Hot Rum results?

#1183 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

How come no Hot Rum results?

Geez, I don't know Max, I,ll ask. Dirk took first in A and first overall, I won the Harbor 20 Class and Larry took the J/105 Class. After that it was all rum.

Scott Deardorff won the Centennial Cup on the following day in rough conditions (for Harbor 20's). Pat Toole took 2nd.

Attached File  Championship Race.jpg   103.48K   61 downloads

#1184 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

results are here http://sbycracing.org/2013-hot-rum/

for some reason they get posted to the racing site and not to the main site...not sure why there are even two sites

#1185 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Fleets....It is all about Overall!

Go the Dirk!

#1186 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Cheering on the SB boats in Key West which starts tomorrow. Loren, Jeff, Cooney and Jeff O on Lounge Act!! Deneen on Groovey Mumm 32 and Johnny D on Groovey Farr 40.
Send some updates JAG and I'll take a to go cup of a Mudslide. Party on and sail fast. xx

#1187 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Santa Barbara strong in first Key West Race.
Deneen 3rd in Mumm 32 class
Johnny D 2nd in Farr 40 Class
Lounge Act 3rd overall and 1st in Corinthian class Melges 24
Pretty light air so far..

#1188 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Wow. Lounge Act has kicked some butt. Great job.

#1189 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

They were not Lounging

#1190 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

They were a Class Act.

#1191 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Attached File  Centennial Cup participants.jpg   108.24K   42 downloads

Attached File  Centennial Cup winners.jpg   79.81K   37 downloads

Scott Deardorff won Centennial Cup, 2nd Pat Toole, 3rd Dave Baxter

#1192 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Attached File  Cookie and Bill.jpg   315.9K   49 downloads
Mike Lafaurie, Cookie John, and the stud Bill Deardorff
Attached File  Kevin.jpg   58.84K   34 downloads
Santa Barbara sailing icons!

#1193 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

A little clearer pic...

Attached File  Slide76.jpg   77.66K   5 downloads

#1194 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Soon to arrive in the A Fleet, Taylor 32.
32 feet long, 14.8 feet wide, 550 pounds of ballast. Rates -30
Should be a good show. Possible name: Flipper

#1195 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Attached File  taylor 9.8.jpg   8.53K   5 downloads Is this the boat? I got a couple extra NACRA hulls that we could lash on to the end of those wings and make it a Tri.

#1196 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Maybe it's a trimaran but they bought the base model w/o the 2 outer hulls. Add some weight to the centerboard and call it good. Looks like a giant killer to me.

#1197 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Especially if the giant stands on one of those wings...

#1198 sbsherpa

sbsherpa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Attached File  3694969_0_20110819122212_6_0.jpg   41.69K   10 downloads

#1199 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip