1746 replies to this topic

#1201 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

On another note, Holua and Alchemy are in town to do a qualifier Transpac ride down the coast and it should be a good one. 20 knots at the mid channel bouy right now with 6 foot swells and very very chilly. There was hail in SB today. The backside of Santa Cruz should be windy, Hope someone has a GoPro on board.
Attached File  Sleds.jpg   185.67K   45 downloads

#1202 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

I am going on Holua and I am bringing something better than go-no. I have a HD cam and will send link here when I get back.

Good group: Dave 'Yoda' Ullman, Jay Crum, Rob Snyder, Doug McClean and other close bros...should be fast.

Should be a blast! Breeze ON!

Sat: NW winds 10 to 20 kt with local gusts to 25 kt...becoming W 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 5 to 7 ft dominant period 12 seconds

#1203 chewey

chewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

I am going on Holua and I am bringing something better than go-no. I have a HD cam and will send link here when I get back.

Good group: Dave 'Yoda' Ullman, Jay Crum, Rob Snyder, Doug McClean and other close bros...should be fast.

Should be a blast! Breeze ON!

Sat: NW winds 10 to 20 kt with local gusts to 25 kt...becoming W 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 5 to 7 ft dominant period 12 seconds

Have fun Max! 20-25 can be awfully boring on a '70!!

#1204 BWR

BWR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

On another note, Holua and Alchemy are in town to do a qualifier Transpac ride down the coast and it should be a good one. 20 knots at the mid channel bouy right now with 6 foot swells and very very chilly. There was hail in SB today. The backside of Santa Cruz should be windy, Hope someone has a GoPro on board.
Attached File  Sleds.jpg   185.67K   45 downloads

Have my doubts either of these boats needs to "do a qualifier for Transpac". Sail testing and night driving outside all the Channel islands down to SD Sun Am. Sorry I missed it!

#1205 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hot Rum Series, lots of action with a steady 20 knots, reverse handicap start with Harteck's J/105 winning by a nose over J/24 Bullet, followed by Taxi and Skian Dhu. Crockett's Rocket had a stellar downwind run, only to blow up their main on the jibe and take down. LOTS of round-ups! Fun for all.
Attached File  Rockett Hot Rum.jpg   120.59K   162 downloadsAttached File  Harteck wins by a nose.jpg   68.73K   180 downloads
Attached File  Taxi and Skian Dhu finish.jpg   84.25K   111 downloads

#1206 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Great day offshore SB today!

2 boat testing with modems connecting the boats. Same Ullman kites and lots of boat on boat testing. Changed poles, sailed different TWA's and generally had a awesome time sailing downwind for 60 miles in the first annual "Santa Barbara post cold front to Marina Del Rey Race"!

Attached Files

#1207 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Nice day to sail 60 miles downwind in 16-20 knots!

Attached Files

#1208 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Same sails....same boats.....different pole lengths tested and the boats had routers so they were connected electronically so we could see each others data. Mid ocean back downs to make sure we were clean. Fun to sail with a pro crew and rip clean gybes etc...

Attached Files

#1209 30Man

30Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

We watched you go by us on the SC37. It looked like you were evenly matched and having a blast. That was a fun day with nobody on the water but us.

#1210 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Well loved SBYC member Morgan Crowe was rescued today off of Bermuda. He and 3 others were on the new Swan 48 Wolfhound on a trans Atlantic delivery. They lost all power, nav systems, etc for 8 days, suffered 2 knockdowns and then activated the EPirb. US Coast Guard dispatched several aircraft and 2 trade ships were diverted to the position. The ship Tetian Trader was able to come along side the disabled Wolfhound and rescue the crew. Wolfhound sank shortly after being released from the ship, 64 miles north of Bermuda. The ship is on it's way to Turkey.

Thank God you are OK Morgan! Come home!

#1211 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=W00GO7LCG_0

A nice video of Crockett's Rocket in the SBYC Hot Rum Race last Saturday. What the camera doesn't show is the main exploding on the jibe. It was an epic run while it lasted!

#1212 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

"we were ripping...then we hit the wall"!

#1213 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

More from a fun day in sun.

Dave "Yoda" Ullman, Jay Crum of Santa Cruz.

In Daves words "Jay is one of the very best downwind drivers I have ever seen". Having sailed a Transpac with him as a watch captain on a RP82, I agree that Jay is one of the very best. Watching Jay drive in 30 knots down Molokai Channel was impressive.

Jay was a Bill Lee boat mfg from the late seventies in the Chicken Coup who was involved with the production of many of the Bill Lee Santa Cruz 70-sleds. Jay was also the boat Captain of "Alta Vita" the Farr designed early (original) vintage TP 52 which was owned by Bill Turpin of Santa Cruz.

Attached Files

#1214 afterguy

afterguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Can anyone recommend a local marine surveyor? Bonus points for thorough, picky and crotchety!

Thx

#1215 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

Can anyone recommend a local marine surveyor? Bonus points for thorough, picky and crotchety!

Thx

Mike Pyzel, not crotchety but good. mpyzel@hotmail.com

#1216 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Update on the rescue of SBYC member Morgan Crowe from an email by Morgan. Delivering a Swan 48 Wolfhound to the Carribean for the 600 Regatta. Bad weather from the start. Power failed on Tues the 7th, no instruments, lights etc. Only an iPad to receive information. Low on food after several days, no ability to cook. Engine inoperable, crew wet and tired. Winds 50 knots, sea swell 8 to 11 meters. Damage above and below board. EPRIB activated. Coast Guard plane and two freighters altered course to the area. First attempt as rescue by European freighter appandoned due to extreme danger from heaving seas and the high profile of the ship.

Next attempt was by Tetian Trader ship carrying grain from New Orleans to Turkey was successful. Still dangerous, line from Trader to Lewmar winch on Wolfhound ripped the winch off the deck in no time. Morgan and 3 crew were rescued and Trader tried to keep Wolfhound along side but the lines quickly broke and Wolffound sank. this was 64 miles from Bermuda.

So Morgan and crew were safe. Unfortunately the ship was headed for Turkey, 3000 miles at 12 knots of speed. But they had to refuel in Gibralter which is where the rescued sailors got off.
Morgan reports that the Greek crew on board Trader were extremely kind.

Morgan is going to stay in Ireland (his other home) for a few weeks before he rejoins his friends at SBYC. Can't wait to see him. You have to love your friends even more when they have a close call to the other side. Morgan, your sailing friends have been praying for your safe return.

#1217 afterguy

afterguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

Mike Pyzel, not crotchety but good. mpyzel@hotmail.com

Thanks Janer

#1218 afterguy

afterguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

Update on the rescue of SBYC member Morgan Crowe from an email by Morgan. Delivering a Swan 48 Wolfhound to the Carribean for the 600 Regatta. Bad weather from the start.

Not a criticism, just an observation. Short term forecasts are generally pretty accurate. I'm guessing that they were hustling to get to the start. Schedules and boats don't go together.

I'm glad that they all got out of there ok. Taking care of other sailors at sea is a tradition that goes back millennia, and it's something that we all respect and appreciate.

#1219 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

And now for something totally different..............

This Saturday is Opening Day for the Santa Barbara Sailing Club. I was just reading the SI's which contain this sentence:

"All entrants are required to be a member of a sailing club or yacht club recognized by SCYA or other regional yachting association (Sailing Anarchy is not acceptable)."

Pretty amusing. Never seen that in SI's before.

Santa Barbara Yacht Club Opening Day is on Sunday. Should be fun!

#1220 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Awhile ago the curmudgeon (Tom Lewick not me) was offering free membership of some sort of yacht club to his readers to get around something US Sailing was doing. So there is a prior example. We could use a little humor around here.

#1221 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I love the sound of clanking halyards in the morning. There is a 37.6% chance that the wind will exceed 22.7 knots on Sunday.

#1222 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

I love the sound of clanking halyards in the morning. There is a 37.6% chance that the wind will exceed 22.7 knots on Sunday.

Add alcohol and opening day and it may be more than halyards clanking

#1223 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Might need to dust off J 80.

#1224 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Odds are 50:50......

But there's only a 40% chance of that.

#1225 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Looks like a nice winter day-forecast to be 68!

#1226 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

The big winds that were predicted never came to fruition for Opening Day at SBYC but Crockett's Rocket was happy with their first place overall with Ken Keiding driving. Still testing sails and new crew but everyone did a great job in light air with the usual kelp problems, which added to the demise of Taxi Dancer which went way inside then hit the bricks and had to drop out. The Rocket has great potential. Nice to sail with Elvis, Steve D, Todd and the usual local suspects. Kenny did a great job driving, and owner Eli Parker has the boat on full schedule for this year.
Attached File  Rocket 1.jpg   92.57K   89 downloads
Attached File  Taxi on the bricks.jpg   102.03K   105 downloads

#1227 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Wow. Who would be foolish enough to put a 1/2 million dollar boat on the rocks? Was Janer driving?

#1228 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

The only thing people trust Janer to drive is a harbor 20.....easy for everyone to keep clear of

#1229 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Cleveland and Mud, practice reading. Janer wasn't driving today, but if she was, we'd trust her, no matter the size of the boat. If you want to talk about sailing, participate. If you want to attack someone's character, go some place else. You are wasting all of our time.

#1230 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

If you don't sand the bottom of your keel once in a while, you're not sailing aggresively enough. I for one am happy to see that they didn't sustain any damage. Schadenfreude has no place in our sport.

#1231 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Attached File  Opening day3.jpg   113.43K   65 downloads
Attached File  opening day 2.jpg   96.84K   87 downloads
Attached File  rocket v.jpg   293.7K   58 downloads

#1232 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

Cleveland and Mud, practice reading. Janer wasn't driving today, but if she was, we'd trust her, no matter the size of the boat. If you want to talk about sailing, participate. If you want to attack someone's character, go some place else. You are wasting all of our time.

My admittedly poor eyesight and reading ability notwithstanding:
1) The comment was about sailing. It was a pricey boat with many souls on board whose skipper headed for the rocks, obviously without regard for their safety or for the safety of the boat. Decisions that put winning/prizes above safety should be avoided in this sport. I, for one, would never put my crew at risk of a grounding if it were preventable, even if it meant not winning a race.
2) The comment about Janer was a reflection on her sailing ability, not on her character. One only needs to read her posts on sailing anarchy to build a composite representation of her character, or tremendous lack thereof.

#1233 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Here's a bunch from the race.

http://portraitinc.smugmug.com/Boats/SBSC-Opening-Day-2013/28253889_XcGK9K#!i=2389970427&k=rZrngFS

#1234 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Pissing off
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Are all you folks in Santa Barbara just a bunch of wingnuts? I mean the cheap kind not the stainless ones. Where is DoRag? Don't he live there no more? I kinda like pickin' on him since he thought agent orange was a friut drink.

#1235 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

This thread is starting to get weird again. Why don't we all try to post positive comments. Pretend you're writing in a good friends birthday card. If not, then don't post it.

#1236 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

http://afloat.ie/blo...an-48-wolfhound

The story of Wolfhound and Morgan Crowe. He should be back in SB in two weeks. Shipwreck party is planned :) to welcome him home.

#1237 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

Inter 20, right on. SBYC is looking forward to the Spring Series this weekend. PHRF races on Saturday and one design fleets on Sunday. It will be interesting to see if the storm blowing in tonight will give us crazy winds on Saturday after it blows out. I'm still trying to find a couple of folks to do RC marks boat duty on Saturday. Any takers?

#1238 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

Janer:
Jesus Christ, is Dr. Laura re-releasing all of her sock turds? No one was ever in danger on Taxi Dancer. You obviously were not there, gutless chicken shit comments some where between pure conjecture and plain bull shit. The Taxi owners do not disregard the safety of their crew. Go take a nap. The rest of us are having fun.

Inter20:
This thread is starting to get weird again. Why don't we all try to post positive comments. Pretend you're writing in a good friends birthday card. If not, then don't post it.

Me: Sounds good to me, but you might want to consider anger management classes Janer.

chica-loca:
Inter 20, right on. SBYC is looking forward to the Spring Series this weekend. PHRF races on Saturday and one design fleets on Sunday. It will be interesting to see if the storm blowing in tonight will give us crazy winds on Saturday after it blows out. I'm still trying to find a couple of folks to do RC marks boat duty on Saturday. Any takers?

Me: Should be a great weekend!

#1239 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Again.....

Posted Image

#1240 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

Jane, just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Posted Image

I'd tell you to hide in your basement, but I know there aren't too many basements in the SB.

#1241 Stanuel

Stanuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

Jane

What is it with you and Dr Laura?

You sound like a lunatic, now STF up! Please!!!!!

Listen to Inter 20

Stop.

Now lets all talk about sailing, please. Who's with me?

#1242 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

Hold on...my popcorn is almost done.

#1243 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Attached File  kiteboard.jpg   531.86K   1 downloads

http://project.kiteboat.com/

#1244 swamp gas

swamp gas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Another J 70 in the SB fleet. That makes 6. Boat name: Vendetta Owner: :ph34r: Dr. Laura

#1245 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Pissing off
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

I read the S.B. thread often but rarely post. Been in S.B. for races to K.H. and deliveries to S.F. I really don't know the players on this thread but I can't help myself this time.

S.D. rumor is that there is another j70 coming to S.B. and it's name is Tarzan. Why you ask. Because in the end, Jane gets screwed.

#1246 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Awesome day on the water with 20+ knots in the first two races. Not much carnage thankfully but a lots of action. We had one little round up on Skian Dhu when Rock & Roll took us up going downwind. The final race was grueling when the wind dropped to almost nothing, lots of kelp and down coast current. Taxi Dancer beat us soundly with 3 bullets. Harteck's 105 was in their element and took 3 bullets in the B Class. Congrats.

No time for on the water photos!
Happy Birthday to Bernie!

Attached File  Rock & Roll crew.jpg   82.5K   80 downloads
Attached File  Taxi first place.jpg   87.69K   74 downloads

#1247 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Caught Oracle AC 72 out sailing on SF bay yesterday and I was blown away how fast this thing criss-crossed SF Bay!
Absolutely stunning how much it would accelerate when it started to foil and how much it slowed when it un-foiled for gybe.
Talk about apparent wind!!!!!

https://www.youtube....Uil_w_g&index=1

#1248 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Caught Oracle AC 72 out sailing on SF bay yesterday and I was blown away how fast this thing criss-crossed SF Bay!
Absolutely stunning how much it would accelerate when it started to foil and how much it slowed when it un-foiled for gybe.
Talk about apparent wind!!!!!

As crazy as it may seem, I think I would feel comfotable driving that boat. Obvoiusly I won't get the chance to be proven wrong which makes my statement ridiculous. But it sure would be fun, even just hanging on, at the back of the bus. How much would you pay in $ to go for a 1 hour ride?

#1249 BowClown

BowClown

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

My admittedly poor eyesight and reading ability notwithstanding:
1) The comment was about sailing. It was a pricey boat with many souls on board whose skipper headed for the rocks, obviously without regard for their safety or for the safety of the boat. Decisions that put winning/prizes above safety should be avoided in this sport. I, for one, would never put my crew at risk of a grounding if it were preventable, even if it meant not winning a race.
2) The comment about Janer was a reflection on her sailing ability, not on her character. One only needs to read her posts on sailing anarchy to build a composite representation of her character, or tremendous lack thereof.

Steaming pile o'....
don't assume to know about the safety (or lack of) of a boat you don't sail on.

#1250 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Part 2
Some perspective on speed!

#1251 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

A great turn out for the High School championship hosted by UCSB Sailing Team and SBYC this weekend. A total of 60 teams in FJ's. As of last night the teams from San Francisco, Redondo Beach, Pt. Loma and Newport Beach were leading in the silver and gold fleets. A great family event where parents and the kids set up "camp" on the beach. The future of sailing! These high school sailors sailed hard, were good on the rules and had a great time. Love it!
Attached File  HS harbor comp.jpg   140.41K   15 downloads
Attached File  hs pier1 comp.jpg   91.4K   21 downloads
Attached File  Beach camp comp.jpg   161.85K   16 downloads

#1252 swamp gas

swamp gas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

REALLY? Taylor 32Attached File  photo-56.JPG   117.59K   110 downloadsAttached File  photo-55.JPG   101.53K   108 downloads

#1253 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

That boat looks FUN!

#1254 afterguy

afterguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

REALLY? Taylor 32

Isn't it missing a pointy thing sticking out the bottom :D?

Looks seriously fast, but the margin for error is umm, thin. What's it rate?

#1255 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

me thinks the margin is very thin and the experience level for a boat like that is pretty skinny in SB

rates -30 apparently

#1256 M48

M48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Moore 30 time .... again.
Hopefully avoiding "Wingnut" time.

#1257 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

I think it will be fun to watch!

#1258 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

me thinks the margin is very thin and the experience level for a boat like that is pretty skinny in SB

rates -30 apparently

Actually -9 for buoy races.

Funny crack about experience level in SB. I've always been amazed at the level of experience around here. You should talk to people more - might be pleasantly surprised.

#1259 Stanuel

Stanuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Raced on one in New Orleans for a couple beer can races. Wild boat, if it's puffy you feel like a human yo - yo being on the wing as it goes up and down thru 5 - 6 feet in a heart beat. Hardly anytime time to go inboard before the wing goes up again. Lots of crew coordination, numbers on backs would help. :unsure:

#1260 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,194 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

And a BIG Shout Out to Doc Laura

A MUCH Bigger person than I would have Imanged, that supports our sport

as well as showing compassion for those lost in pursuit of the our sport

DLS Has my respect !!!!!!!!

#1261 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

San Diego NOOD. Doc sailed very well for her first go at a J70. Each day they got better and won the final day with 5 points. Finishing ahead of Dave Ullman in the last race is definitely a big accomplishment. Great job.

#1262 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Vendetta had a great crew too. Cody Schlub is a young sailor to be watched and a great guy to sail with.

Hope the winged blue thing is out tonight. Should be fun to watch. Wind advisory starts at 2pm ...25 to 35 knots.

#1263 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Did the Wing thing sail last week?

#1264 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

No, only Taxi, Prevail and Radio Flyer in A fleet. Would not have been a good first race.....lots of traffic (very short course) and lots of shifts, at least one hole, but the breeze was up to 10 at one point.

#1265 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

Yep, the two Farr 40's were in the yard, Rock & Roll and Crocketts Rocket getting work done. Next Weds is the first official Race.

Good news, the So Cal J/70 calendar includes the Santa Barbara Fiesta Cup.

Newport to Cabo started today, voting for my pals on GI, to follow it check out http://yb.tl/newport2cabo2013
Cheers

#1266 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Cabo Race is a bust. Very light.

#1267 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,194 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

Cabo Race is a bust. Very light.

not if you sell waterproof pants NTTIATWWT :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#1268 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

WTF Woody?

#1269 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,194 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

WTF Woody?

Click / See --> http://forums.sailin...5

#1270 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

A great turn out for the Pacific Coast Collegiate Sailing Conference last weekend, 26 Universities and 52 FJ's participating. Great conditions and only one protest (happily, I was on Protest Committee). After 10 races the winner was Washington Huskies with 90 points, 2nd UC San Diego with 99 points, 3rd UC Santa Barbara Gauchos 102 points and 4th Cal Maritime with 113 points. The event was sponsored by SBYC and UC Santa Barbara. Nice.
Attached File  Intercollegiate.jpg   107.96K   4 downloads

#1271 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Great WW tonight on Skian Duh. Nice time, nice crew, fun sailing..Thanks Dirk/Jeff!

#1272 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

Nice night for sailing. Smooth water, warm with a nice breeze. Congrats Skandu on your win.

#1273 farr40flyer

farr40flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Bush Planes, Float Planes, Sail Planes, Helicopters, Racing Sailboats, Sports Cars, Motocross, Golfing, Surfing, ALL Boardsports, Fishing, Hunting, RIPPING!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

Thank you Jeff/Dirk for the invite yesterday. You guys run a fluid boat. You should hand out Valium to your guests cause nothing drastic ever happens. Max kills it too! Btw, it is way more exciting on my boat! ;)

#1274 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

Thank you Jeff/Dirk for the invite yesterday. You guys run a fluid boat. You should hand out Valium to your guests cause nothing drastic ever happens. Max kills it too! Btw, it is way more exciting on my boat! ;)

That's an awesome compliment.

#1275 farr40flyer

farr40flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Bush Planes, Float Planes, Sail Planes, Helicopters, Racing Sailboats, Sports Cars, Motocross, Golfing, Surfing, ALL Boardsports, Fishing, Hunting, RIPPING!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

Thank you Jeff/Dirk for the invite yesterday. You guys run a fluid boat. You should hand out Valium to your guests cause nothing drastic ever happens. Max kills it too! Btw, it is way more exciting on my boat! ;)/>

Jeff & Dirk are complete gentleman. I was just making fun because they run a perfect boat, and are completely calm. I am grateful for their help, and knowledge. Also, they are over the top competition, and it is great to see what is possible.

#1276 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

Steath, under the radar paint job. Looking forward to a ride with Eli, Mike and Kenny!
Attached File  New 70.jpg   116.73K   37 downloads

#1277 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Steath, under the radar paint job. Looking forward to a ride with Eli, Mike and Kenny!
Attached File  New 70.jpg   116.73K   37 downloads

Nice!

#1278 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

Jamie Deardorff, son of the infamous Silver Fox, never ceases to amaze...Built a rinse station for surfer's and kite boarders, shower, board racks, towels, etc. Gotta love him.

Attached File  Son of silver fox.jpg   46.6K   40 downloads.

#1279 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

It looked like it was going to be light, but the conditions changed about an hour before the start of Wet Weds, the wind built to about 15 and the fog came in making it pretty darn cold. Lots of agressive starts. In the A fleet all but Taxi were called over early and went back to restart. We on the Dhu corrected 15 seconds behind Taxi. The J/105's also an agressive start with some carnage, dont know the details except that Perfect Timing retired with some damage. In the J/70's, the new Eclipse dominated.

Sail Policy Meeting tomorrow at 5:30. One of the items on the agenda will be to discuss the growing J/70 fleet and where to put them in the Wet Weds lineup. Interested racers welcome to join in.

#1280 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

Hey Asshat, if you're going to be the self-appointed SB news anchor, get your facts straight. Armida was the boat that retired. Perfect Timing scored 3rd place.

#1281 Nick G

Nick G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Life long SF Bay - Ocean Sailor.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

Lighten up Steamer. "What's you're deal?"

#1282 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Eclipse OCS.
Eclipse crashed just after set.

#1283 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

The J105 Race looked very tight and fun going up the beach. Definitely the best racing in SB from the looks of it from Ledbetter. I need to be partners in one!

#1284 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, except for a somewhat messy start it was great J105 racing. All the boats (who did finish) finished with less than 2 minutes' separation from the first to the last boat.

#1285 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

Once again

Posted Image

#1286 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

All the 70's looked very powered up.
How come they have to race amongst the H fleet?

#1287 b green

b green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

best fleet= 105's? Come on Max get a H20 ....they all started clean. B

#1288 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

H20's look very fun too!
The 105's were very-very-very close together!
It will be neat to see if the J-70's turn into a decent fleet size like the H20's and 105's have.

#1289 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hey Asshat, if you're going to be the self-appointed SB news anchor,   get your facts straight. Excuse me but I think you're mistaken.   Armida was the boat that retired. Perfect Timing scored 3rd place.

Fixed it for you.

Asshat

#1290 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

You're funny Condor!

#1291 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

Holy Cow.

Looked up "Cleveland Steamer" on urban dictionary:

The Cleveland steamer is a form of coprophilia, where a man or a woman defecates on a partner's chest

#1292 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Flew over Boring Run Race yesterday and it did not look like much wind.  It was very windy in SB Channel however!

#1293 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

Had a great time with the boys on the Border Run yesterday.  Boat speed ranged from 8 to 12 knots on

the Rocket.  Ended up 3rd out of 9 in class.

#1294 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

Holy Cow.

Looked up "Cleveland Steamer" on urban dictionary:

The Cleveland steamer is a form of coprophilia, where a man or a woman defecates on a partner's chest

You forgot one component. More precisely:

A sexual act by nature (fetish) the cleveland steamer is when one person craps on another person's chest and (very important) then sits down and rocks back and forth like a steam roller.

#1295 farr40flyer

farr40flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

T. Hutch on Skian Dhu. He chose Dirk's boat over all the other's! It was clearly over the top!

#1296 farr40flyer

farr40flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

Skian Dhu.

Attached Files

#1297 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

I was at SFYC once and from the club you could hear Hutchinson yelling, they were 250 yards away on Barking Mad.

#1298 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I do miss the AC45 races where the camera was on Artemis with Hutch and seeing him/them do amazing comebacks and perform great tactical roundings.

#1299 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Whoa, hope this breeze stays until Wed!

#1300 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

EAST SANTA BARBARA CHANNEL FROM PT. CONCEPTION TO PT. MUGU CA 
INCLUDING SANTA CRUZ ISLAND-
849 AM PDT MON APR 8 2013 

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT... 

TODAY
NW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. GUSTS TO 45 KT WESTERN PORTION. 
COMBINED SEAS 8 TO 11 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 10 SECONDS. 

TONIGHT
NW WINDS 30 TO 40 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 45 KT EARLY IN THE EVENING...BECOMING 15 TO 20 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 25 KT. STRONGEST WESTERN PORTION. 
COMBINED SEAS 10 TO 13 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 11 SECONDS...SUBSIDING TO 8 TO 10 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 11 SECONDS AFTER MIDNIGHT. 

TUE
W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO 40 KT WESTERN PORTION IN THE MORNING...BECOMING W 15 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. 
COMBINED SEAS 6 TO 8 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 10 SECONDS. 

TUE NIGHT
W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 35 KT WESTERN PORTION IN THE EVENING...BECOMING NW 5 TO 15 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. 
COMBINED SEAS 6 TO 8 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 10 SECONDS...SUBSIDING TO 5 TO 6 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 10 SECONDS AFTER MIDNIGHT. 

WED
W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. 
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT AT 10 SECONDS. 

WED NIGHT
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO 25 KT. 
WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL 4 TO 6 FT. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users