#101 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

Hot Rum #2 = Hurt Locker
Ugh, yes it's great to have 70 degree weather but 0 wind equals boring and frustrating 2 mile course that lasted 2 to 3 hours for many. 24 boats entered, those who ran out of beer or patience quit. Farr 40 Skian Dhu once again took line and time honors, followed by Taxi Dancer, Repeat Offender and Rush Street. Great feed afterwards and of course the usual free mai tais so that cheered everyone up.
Attached File  Skian Dhu afterguard Hot Rum 2.jpg   231.03K   35 downloads
Attached File  Larry (Rush Street) Hot Rum 2.jpg   238.72K   25 downloads
Attached File  Harteck Hot Rum 2.jpg   211.84K   19 downloads

#102 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:11 AM

Hot Rum #2 = Hurt Locker
Ugh, yes it's great to have 70 degree weather but 0 wind equals boring and frustrating 2 mile course that lasted 2 to 3 hours for many. 24 boats entered, those who ran out of beer or patience quit. Farr 40 Skian Dhu once again took line and time honors, followed by Taxi Dancer, Repeat Offender and Rush Street. Great feed afterwards and of course the usual free mai tais so that cheered everyone up.

Five Harbor 20s competed for the front of the bus, and for the back of the bus. Janer stayed ahead of us, even though we started right behind her. We were out for 3 1/2 hours watching the wind clock around endlessly. But, as all of us declared after, it was better than doing housework.

One more Hot Rum to go. I'm hoping to earn a post-race seat by my fireplace with salt in my hair and frozen fingertips. Who knows? Damn good fun, though!

#103 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:17 AM

There are some pretty sweet photos of Taxi in the SCYA book/calendar for 2011. One advertizement of Newport to Ensenada featuring Taxi. I wonder if that will be the tshirt design. Nice.

Taxi got another bonus yesterday when the Farr 40 Skian Dhu went to Ventucky for a bottom job, so will be missing the last of the Hot Rum Series. Skian Dhu has two first places, but now out of the running so Taxi should take over first unless we can get a J/105 or Harbor 20 to stay ahead of them (reverse handicap start) :lol:

Lots of work going into planning of the Melges 24 California Cup coming up in March. We want it to be perfect and we want lots of Megles, I think we are about 14 now. Sign up on line at sbyc.org. :)

#104 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:36 AM

Farr have a appointment with the yard?

#105 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hot Rum #2 = Hurt Locker

You got a Larry in all three pics, there. As Mr. Harteck says, a bowlful of Larrys.

#106 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

And as Harteck would say, he's got more chins than a Chinese phonebook. :unsure:

#107 olebole

olebole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:56 AM

I don't post much on here, but a few of you may know me. My name is Ole and I sail on Phantom and Perfect. My buddy Aaron (sails on Escapade) and I are looking to see if anyone has a trailer around town that is empty and could be used to move a 24' ca. 5500lb motorboat to a new location Santa Barbara. We are thinking of renting a flatbed or something, but I thought there must be someone in Santa Barbara who has a boat in the water and whose trailer is not being used. We would love to hear from you and could work out some sort of payment.
Thanks!

Ole 805 453 4347

#108 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:22 AM

Ole,
So you want to move a boat that is in SB to another spot in SB? What kind of power boat is it? Hope we can help.

#109 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

With all the dangerous epic weather happening in the US and New Zealand, we must remember how lucky we are to live in Santa Barbara. The last of the Hot Rum Series is this Saturday.
Forcast: sunny and 70 degrees! See you there. B)
Attached File  RocknRoll weathe mark.jpg   279.58K   26 downloads

#110 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

With all the dangerous epic weather happening in the US and New Zealand, we must remember how lucky we are to live in Santa Barbara. The last of the Hot Rum Series is this Saturday.
Forcast: sunny and 70 degrees! See you there. B)
Attached File  RocknRoll weathe mark.jpg   279.58K   26 downloads

Maybe the wind will actually blow up to 5 knots this time...

#111 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

Condor,
I'm hoping for breeze too!
Whatever we get it will be better than this:
Attached File  Todays Storm.jpg   13.63K   7 downloads

PS to "Never Was", Nice post! ;)

#112 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

We're looking for some knowledgeable sailors to commit to the Opti West Coast Championship in August...Race Committee, Protest Committee. Lots of spots to fill to help with all the kids and a chance to give back to the sport!
Attached File  Opti competition.jpg   123.9K   8 downloads

#113 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:17 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAG

I looked for one of those smack talking Dr. Laura dolls for you
Attached File  dr-laura-doll.jpg   25.47K   27 downloads

But this one is better, and doesn't talk!
Attached File  you can shave the baby.bmp   600.21K   45 downloads

#114 olebole

olebole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

we got the trailer sorted.
Thanks,

Ole

#115 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Tom and Jimmy
Taxi Dancer first overall in the Hot Rum Series
Attached File  Hot Rum winners.jpg   277.62K   10 downloads

#116 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Pat Toole, Skipper of the Year and the crew of 3 Big Dogs. Congratulations ;)
Attached File  Pat Toole.jpg   182.43K   10 downloads
Attached File  Big Dogs.jpg   206.14K   12 downloads

#117 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

The happy Rush Street crew. Once again top finisher in the Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race. :) Along with other trophies at the annual SBYC Trophy Dinner.
Attached File  Rush st 2.jpg   196.51K   15 downloads

#118 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:Olson 30, beachcats, anything fast.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Anybody looking for crew on the March 16 WW? I am going to be in the area Mar 15-22, and would love to get out on the water.

#119 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

No problem. We have about 60 boats out on Weds nights; One Design fleets: Melges 24, J/105, Harbor 20 and J/24 and a variety of PHRF and racer/cruisers. Send me a PM when you get here and we'll get you a ride. B)

#120 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:20 AM

We're looking for some knowledgeable sailors to commit to the Opti West Coast Championship in August...Race Committee, Protest Committee. Lots of spots to fill to help with all the kids and a chance to give back to the sport!

Janer, what are the dates? I'm down for race committee. Anyone else I should contact to sign on?
Love,
Chica

#121 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Chica,
Gracias. The dates are August 6 & 7th. I'll put you down for RC. :rolleyes:

#122 Photo Opp

Photo Opp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

As always I would be happy to assist Marks boat Photos whatever is needed

#123 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

For some reason Thump deleated his post about Marina 1 construction and electrolosis problems. Sounded like something we need to know about. Personally I think the whole construction thing is ridiculous, adding 4 more slips beyond Taxi's endtie and then putting Taxi on the furthest out endtie. The fairway between the docks and the breakwater is already narrow and will become a real nightmare for folks who have to tack up the fairway under sail.

#124 thump

thump

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

For some reason Thump deleated his post about Marina 1 construction and electrolosis problems. Sounded like something we need to know about. Personally I think the whole construction thing is ridiculous, adding 4 more slips beyond Taxi's endtie and then putting Taxi on the furthest out endtie. The fairway between the docks and the breakwater is already narrow and will become a real nightmare for folks who have to tack up the fairway under sail.

Janer, I pulled the post down because I was pretty frustrated with our bottom cleaner and his actions about charging us for pictures we didn't ask for and then some subsequent B.S. Later I discovered he had some personal issues going on that may have contributed to his choices so I let it go... But, the electrolysis is an issue the City is trying to figure out in Marina One. It was first discovered on one of the large jet boats where there was paint bubbling on the outdrive. The cause was apparently a low D.C. current in the ground from shore power. Unfortunately, even after that issue was resolved, the outdrive repainted, and the boat relaunched, the issue surfaced again. So there's more to the problem. The City has hired an engineering firm from Long Beach to investigate.

Interestingly, the main water line that was secured by metal straps under the walkway recently floated off because of corrosion failure. Bottom line is there seems to be a serious issue with the electrical on the Marina. If you think about it, Marina One is a terrible design with only one land based access, where as a marina of that size would normally have four or five gates of access that would service electrical from each. In ours, you've got the biggest electrical draw the furthest from the land compounding the challenges.

Bottom line is keep a keen eye on the bottom of your boat right now.

Here's a couple of pics of the metal from our boat which had its bottom done six months ago.

Attached Files

#125 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

A little slow out there yesterday for the Sweetheart Regatta. Ten boats participated and the small boats kicked booty. Team Toole/Tunberg took first in a J/24 followed by Miller/Kelleway in a Harbor 20 and third was Becky & Larry Harteck. Champagne and strawberries afterwards. :)

#126 John Gault

John Gault

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:36 AM

I'd like to report - before Janer - that Cardremmian (Harbor 20, #34) took out all the stops and placed 1st (against much bigger boats or else why would I even post) in the SBYC CHRF #1 Race - alone, by himself,single handed - asym, gybes too. Kudoos Rich.

#127 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:21 AM

CHRF is a race?

#128 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Nicely done Rich! He's been on a roll lately with his new Ocean 20. ;)

(Note to Max: We fully expect you to be out of the loop and stay out of
the loop) :blink:

#129 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

More big winners from the Trophy Dinner
Attached File  Sandra Bhrian.jpg   195.73K   31 downloads
Attached File  Sharon Johnny Glenn.jpg   141.82K   46 downloads
Attached File  Durbecks 2.jpg   226.81K   37 downloads

#130 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

It sounds like San Diego Yacht Club is making a concerted effort to revive Lipton Cup. To make it more user friendly and level the playing field they have proposed to offer all of the J/105's with new suits of sails, use a round robin format AND disallow pros from racing. These are some major changes for this dying event. I hope they work! If it is as good as it sounds, we should put a team together.

#131 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Good job to SDYC for finding a creative way to limit expenses. The event is still allowing 3 pros per boat, however they aren't allowing them to drive. Bummer the event is on the same weekend as Ahmanson Cup (and to a lesser extent, during the Melges 24 Worlds).

#132 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:39 AM

JAG,
Hmmm, disappointing. I did not know that they were going to still allow pros, over 50% of the crew, not that good. Also not good that it conflicts with Ahmanson, which is probably a J/105 Championship event?

So I take it you are going to the Melges 24 Worlds in Corpus? Hmmmm, always fun to be a cheerleader for the Lounge Act. I'll have a chat with my liver about it. B)

#133 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

JAG,
Hmmm, disappointing. I did not know that they were going to still allow pros, over 50% of the crew, not that good. Also not good that it conflicts with Ahmanson, which is probably a J/105 Championship event?

So I take it you are going to the Melges 24 Worlds in Corpus? Hmmmm, always fun to be a cheerleader for the Lounge Act. I'll have a chat with my liver about it. B)

Last year the J-105s didn't have enough for a class at Ahmanson, and got stuffed into PHRF.

Scheduling this year got moved around a bunch. Ensenada moved a week early to avoid Easter, and took what had been the Ahmanson weekend. So Ahmanson moved into May. In previous years you could do Ahmanson, Ensenada, and Yachting Cup on consecutive weekends. This year there's two weeks between Ensenada and Yachting Cup, and two more weeks from YC to Ahmanson. Tougher to arrange travelling that way.

#134 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

King tide due to hit at 7:30 am today. RUN :ph34r:

#135 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:22 AM

Jeez, it appears that Long Beach Yacht Club is not capable of posting results like all the other clubs involved in SCYA Midwinters. WTF. JAG are you there? We had some hail today, hope you did not!!

#136 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

Rumor has it that Laura's BN walked off the job after she called him The N Word eleven times. :huh:
Sounds like de ja vu all over again.

#137 Beckett

Beckett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Butterfly collecting<br />the Edge

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

That is funny!

#138 kit

kit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

Rumor has it that Laura's BN walked off the job after she called him The N Word eleven times. :huh:
Sounds like de ja vu all over again.

No. Here's what I've been working on for her though.

#139 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:54 PM

Sweet video Kit!!

#140 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

FAIR WARNING:
I can't provide any more details at this time other than what's listed below.

BELOW:
A trigger has been pulled. Something new and very cutting edge will be coming to SB in (probably) September.

ENDS

#141 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:00 AM

Well, that clears that up...

#142 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:57 AM

Gunboat?

#143 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:13 AM

Gunboat?

Below #2 = Mono.

#144 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Tom is buying a Moth!!! :)

#145 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Tom is buying a Moth!!! :)

YES - you figured it out! A Moth with training wheels.

#146 afterguy

afterguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

Included in the Latitude 38 list of Transpac entries:

Katana, Kernan 47, Laura Schlessinger
Bebe, J-130, Charles Browning

and

Magnitude 80, Andrews 80, Doug Baker

which if I'm not mistaken is one of J.A.G.'s rides.

#147 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,840 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

Ok Tom - wots Bernie gettin?

#148 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

I only sailed the Tahiti Race with the Mag80 program. Mag80 scrapped the canting keel and will now have a fixed keel- something like 20 ft. draft!

Another SB Transpac entry is Bill Guilfoyle's SC52, Azul.

Attached Files

#149 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

Bill's SC-52 is Prevail, Azul is the SC52 in the harbor that does not go out very often, but is the same blue as Prevail

#150 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

Bill's SC-52 is Prevail, Azul is the SC52 in the harbor that does not go out very often, but is the same blue as Prevail

Whoops!!! Thanks for the correction. It's been a long winter... :)

#151 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

Ok Tom - wots Bernie gettin?

I'll ditto you on this one and raise you 85%
Come on Tommy..clues are needed

#152 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:08 AM

TP 65?

#153 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

Nah, too big.

#154 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hull #5 still in build.

Expected to be commissioned in S.F. making Big Boat our first rodeo with factory and sailmaker reps on board.

#155 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Something like this?

Attached File  Farr400.jpg   212.66K   71 downloads

#156 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Something like this?

Attached File  Farr400.jpg   212.66K   71 downloads

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding...

Damn you're good, Jefe (did you talk to Bernie??).

Quite a surprise after the last go-around. Email came a couple of weeks ago asking opinions on this v. a couple of others. After some back and forths plus a thorough review by Drew Friedes got an email a couple days ago that said it's a go. One major consideration was kelp. Response was that cutter had already been designed into the retracting keel.

#157 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

Haven't spoken to Bernie for too long. I just knew he was looking for something in that size that was a sprit boat. Looks like a FUN toy!

#158 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Initially I was thinking Soto 40, until you mentioned hull no.5.

#159 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Soto was on the list - finished second. Been a little put off by comments about lack of customer service from the builder, early comments about the boat not showing good speed potential upwind and the seeming lack of assistance in building the class in N.A. and particularly SoCal. Have heard little about the boat on the Lakes since it competed in the Chi-Mac.

On top of those items Drew's analysis showed a huge plus favoring the Farr's speed and particularly acceleration potential. His comment was "definitely no question about which boat should be the better performer". He has some concerns over the keel lifting mechanism, the loads that may be imposed on that pole and just how deployable / retractable the pole will be. Not big worries just things to check out and all stated without seeing drawings or talking to Farr people. Would guess any problems encountered will have nearly instant help / fixes from Farr for the first boat on the Left Coast.

#160 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

Yippee!
Sweet Ride!
Now Dirk will have someone on his leebow!

#161 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:34 AM

Soto was on the list - finished second. Been a little put off by comments about lack of customer service from the builder, early comments about the boat not showing good speed potential upwind and the seeming lack of assistance in building the class in N.A. and particularly SoCal. Have heard little about the boat on the Lakes since it competed in the Chi-Mac.

On top of those items Drew's analysis showed a huge plus favoring the Farr's speed and particularly acceleration potential. His comment was "definitely no question about which boat should be the better performer". He has some concerns over the keel lifting mechanism, the loads that may be imposed on that pole and just how deployable / retractable the pole will be. Not big worries just things to check out and all stated without seeing drawings or talking to Farr people. Would guess any problems encountered will have nearly instant help / fixes from Farr for the first boat on the Left Coast.

TI, this is so exciting! A new fast boat in SB with one of the most loved owner/ skippers in SB! Can't wait to see her. Will she be named Rock n' Roll? xx

#162 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

TI, this is so exciting! A new fast boat in SB with one of the most loved owner/ skippers in SB! Can't wait to see her. Will she be named Rock n' Roll? xx

The name thing is under review. There are a few suggestions on the table but I suspect Rock & Roll will win out. For a long time Bernie has wanted to come up with a really great logo / graphic for hull and spins that fits the name. So far nothing has worked satisfactorily and he's done a lot of work on it. He's also received about a zillion suggestions - it's obviously a name with lots of possibilities (my long ago suggestion of using Bernie's head shot with Elvis hair seems to have fallen on very polite but somewhat deaf ears). It's become a key element in name choice. One thing that's definite is that Bernie really likes solid red on a boat so I suspect the new machine will be white with some red stripes per the current R&R scheme. That said, all this could change over coming months.

Boat will go into existing R&R slip (one reason why the retracting pole was important - good thing it came attached to a really cool / high potential boat) and the 105 will go into warehouse dry storage near the airport for a year or so.

#163 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

The Melges 24 California Cup is coming up March 11,12 and 13. Fifteen boats signed up so far. One boat owner from Tahoe is looking for one more crew with Melges 24 experience. Sharon Green will be looking for that perfect shot for her calendar next year. :)

#164 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Thinking about our friend Kelly O'Neil Henson who died tragically 7 years ago today.
RIP Kelly. Miss you so :)
Attached File  Kelly 8.jpg   137.43K   10 downloads
Attached File  Kelly 7.jpg   143.4K   11 downloads

#165 thump

thump

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

The Melges 24 California Cup is coming up March 11,12 and 13. Fifteen boats signed up so far. One boat owner from Tahoe is looking for one more crew with Melges 24 experience. Sharon Green will be looking for that perfect shot for her calendar next year. :)

If you're looking for a new long sleeve micro fiber shirt for this event, you've got to order online NOW! They haven't reached their minimum order count yet, and won't have any available at the event either... So, for $40 pony up for a new shirt if you want one:

Click HERE.

#166 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

Sunny and windy predictions for tomorrow's Opening Day at SBYC. Can't wait to see everyone.
Yippeee!

#167 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:42 AM

It was close to being the most epic Opening Day. Conditions were nice for the big boat parade, but that didn't last long as the weather predictions (for once) came true. The weather changed rapidly to white caps and 18 knots. Several of the one design fleets opted out (Harbor 20's and Melges 24s), but it was a great day to watch from the bar. Definitely a J/105 day as they were able to beat Taxi Dancer and the Farr 40 Skian Dhu. The only Melges that went out Bullit had some great rides downwind. Taxi hit over 20 knots downwind but could not correct over J/105s Phantom and RocknGroovin, J/24's 3 Big Dogs and Tiny Dancer took 3rd and 4th, with Skian Dhu 5th and Taxi 7th. Great bar watching with the J/100 doing multiple round ups to the cheers from the big bar crowd.
Attached File  Johnny D.jpg   295.31K   6 downloads
Attached File  John Blair Overall winner.jpg   285.81K   3 downloads

#168 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

In the CHRF Fleet Psyche Song took first followed by Second Wind, Tranquility and Therapi 2Attached File  Wann Rawles Ist in CHRF.jpg   268.96K   0 downloadsAttached File  Lander 2nd Place CHRF.jpg   258.25K   0 downloadsAttached File  Max Lynn and Helene Webb (chair).jpg   29.92K   2 downloads

Attached Files

#169 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

The Melges that did well Sunday was Bandit - Mike Wolfe's boat.

(Bullitt is one of the other 24s.)
A great day of sailing, nonetheless.

#170 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

Attached File  Mass Start.jpg   223.58K   106 downloads
Taxi threads the needle at the start

#171 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

looks like you guys don't have crew wt. limits! :P (j-24, j-105)

#172 Concert Boy

Concert Boy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Posted Image

#173 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

Melges 24's already showing up for this weekends Cal Cup. Thumper with new cool tshirts for the crew.Attached File  New Thump tshirts.jpg   257.09K   5 downloads

#174 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

looks like you guys don't have crew wt. limits! :P (j-24, j-105)

We don't weigh OD crews for phrf events. However, we actually go out racing in winds that San Diego and other SoCal clubs would certainly cancel.

#175 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

Melges 24 Cal Cup this weekend!
Registration Thursday 5 to 7 pm and Friday 9 to 11 am
Friday night kegs sponsored by John Rushing Canvas
Saturday night Mai Tai's (while they last) sponsored by Loren Colahan (Lounge Act) :P
Bar slide show sponsored by Sharon Green (Ultimate Sailing)
Winds have been great.

#176 thump

thump

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Melges 24 Cal Cup this weekend!
Registration Thursday 5 to 7 pm and Friday 9 to 11 am
Friday night kegs sponsored by John Rushing Canvas
Saturday night Mai Tai's (while they last) sponsored by Loren Colahan (Lounge Act) :P
Bar slide show sponsored by Sharon Green (Ultimate Sailing)
Winds have been great.

Hopefully the mornings Tsunami wont be a spoiler...

#177 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Shit! Are they letting people in the harbor? Someone needs to check on the Melges raft. This could really screw up today's racing if they shut the harbor for most the day. Any updates?

#178 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:25 AM

The tsunami effects in Santa Barbara were far worse than expected but I have heard reports that Santa Cruz harbor suffered major damages along with other Southern Cal harbors. The Cal Cup Melges 24's and RC boats were leaving the harbor when the first surges hit, 4 to 5 feet up and 10 minutes later down by 4 to 5 feet. The bait barge just outside the marinas split in half and sank. At that point they closed the harbor trapping myself (photo boat) and 2 of the Melges inside the harbor. The surges actually got worse over the day. Racers who got out had a tough day with swells and huge wind shifts and sadly they only got one race off around 3:30 and then had to deal with getting back in the harbor along with commercial fishermen etc. who were staged off the harbor entrance to time the surges and come in one at a time on the flood with lots of Harbor Patrol and tug boats controlling the situation. Entrance bouys were literally sucked underwater. It was an awesome event to witness, but of course our hearts go out to Japan and the massive distruction there.

Racing is scheduled to go on tomorrow and Sunday and make up (hopefully)for today. As far as I know, local boat Lounge Act won the single race today.

#179 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Copied my post from one of the other tsunami threads:

Volunteered to be a mark boat for the 3-day Melges regatta here in SB this weekend (Fri - Sun).

It turned out to be a very wild experience with the tsunami surge wreaking a bit of havoc inside the harbor.

A lot of flow that switched directions about every half hour or so. It was a major river everywhere inside the harbor. Very strong flow, enormous whirlpools that would appear and disappear every few minutes.

The whirlpools were awe inspiring - about 30 - 50 ft. in diameter with the center probably 2 - 3 ft. lower than the surface. Was glad to be in Whaler with 100 horses on the back.

Channel markers were loose and being driven around inside the harbor, boats in slips at various odd angles depending on where in the stream they were. At one point looked up from maneuvering around some of the competitors readying to get underway and faced a section of the local (inside the harbor) bait dock ripped loose from moorings and headed straight at us. Section about 50 - 60 ft. long and probably 15 wide with tanks built in on edge and moving quickly into the inner harbor. Harbor Patrol and dredge operators wrestled it into submission and secured it out of the way. Once clear of this watched the small barge with bait service office on top lose its struggle to stay upright and tip over.

Managed to get 13 racers, two mark boats and the RC boat out of the harbor and finally settle in to run some races. Was much more sane and safe outside of the harbor and I think all were glad we managed to get 24s out.

First race had to be abandoned due to very shifty winds. Next moved the course a considerable distance to the NW as our late afternoon breeze became somewhat more normal and the harbor was now closed to all traffic - can't go home might as well race. Got off a two-lapper in the late afternoon. Winds still shifting quite a bit in strength but not so much in direction. Very large seas - some spilling over which often happens off SB as they lose power heading for our beaches.

Picked-up marks after last finisher and met a Harbor Patrol boat waiting for us at the entrance to escort us in. This was about 5:30 or thereabouts and the flow in and out of the harbor, while reduced, was still very significant.

Going to be interesting to see what we get today.

Got a couple of pix yesterday and probably more today that I'll post later.

Results:

CLICK

#180 Doc Häagen-Dazs

Doc Häagen-Dazs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

....First race had to be abandoned due to very shifty winds.

I don't understand how a race can be thrown out or abandoned because of shifty winds, but another race will not be thrown out or abandoned when some eligible boats are barred from entering the race area because of shifting currents.

#181 rgscpat

rgscpat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:sailing, racing, race management, Desert Sea / southwest USA sailing, future of sailing, travel, photography, hiking

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

It seems that RCs take some responsibility for conditions affecting the fairness of racing during racing, which is in their area of authority and responsibility, but feel less responsible for what happens off the course before the racing. At any rate, it's interesting that they even decided to race and got races off under extraordinary circumstances, but maybe the RC and racers were right to consider themselves safer in the ocean than in the harbor.

#182 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

It's true that 2 boats were not allowed to leave the harbor, but they have asked for redress which surely will be granted. The good news is that they were last seen having a good time in the YC bar while those on the ocean suffered through a long day of frustrating conditions. ;)

#183 windsurfer

windsurfer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

http://www.edhat.com...t.cfm?nid=50739

video of the bait barge going down and the mark boat dodging the pieces.

-jd

#184 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

Fortunately things were a little more normal today although surges were still happening. We got off 3 races today in light air. Lots of mixed finishes but at the end of the day the local boats were doing well. Protests and redress pending the results stand at:
Average White Boat first with 14 points
Lounge Act 15 points
Bandit 18 points
Scotch Bonnet 20 point
Personal Puff 21 points
Bones 22 points
Party tonight at SBYC, MaiTai's & dinner
Attached File  Melges Start 2.jpg   261.64K   31 downloads
Attached File  Down wind Melges.jpg   276.13K   31 downloads

#185 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Locals dominate Santa Barbara Melges Race Week
1st Lounge Act (Colahan, Otis, Grange,Harris) 13 points
2nd Bandit (Wolfe, White, McFarland & little guy 15 points
3rd Average White Boat (Pierce,Stokke,Moe) 16 points
Attached File  Bandit team.jpg   267.55K   36 downloads

#186 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Some of you may remember my crew and friend from Japan named Aki. He crewed for me in two Nacra world championships and for several years on the Olson 30. He now lives in Kamakura which is just south of Tokyo. His house is on the beach about a stone's throw from the water and about 15 vertical feet above the high tide line. It's a great location. I raced Nacras off the beach and stayed at their place. Nervously I called his father early Saturday morning their time. I'm surprised I even got through. The bay in front of their house faces south so they didn't have much effect from the tsunami and the quake itself rocked them but no damage. Aki was working in Tokyo at the time and was stuck there but safe. A bit of good news from what otherwise is a total disaster. He now has a son who is less than a year old and I'm trying to get them to visit soon.

#187 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:59 AM

Wow, that is great news amongst all the chaos. Aki is such a great guy, I remember him well.
Thanks for the news! :)

#188 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:20 AM

More pics from the Cal Cup Melges 24 event.
Attached File  1st Place Loungers.jpg   294.61K   21 downloads1st Place Lounge Act team
Attached File  2nd Place Bandit.jpg   307.53K   31 downloads 2nd Place Bandit team
Attached File  Average White Boat.jpg   200.72K   25 downloads 3rd Place Average White boat
Attached File  Scotch Bonnet SWYC.jpg   31.23K   23 downloads 4th Place Scotch Bonnet SWYC

Great turnout, boats from Ensenada, Richmond YC, Golden Gate YC, thanks for
coming!

#189 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

From long ago...
Crewmembers of Harcourt's Whistle Wing are having a reunion at SBYC this Friday to talk story. Imagine the BS after over 35 years. If you were there, be there. 5:30

#190 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

Anyone looking for an extra set of hands tomorrow night?

Send me a PM if you are looking for able-bodied crew.

#191 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Make that tonight...Wed night.

#192 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

Make that tonight...Wed night.

Show up on the breakwater in front of the club about 4:30. Shouldn't be hard to find a ride.

#193 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:51 AM

Cabo Start Friday...GO KATANA!!!!!!!

#194 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Nice article on the Front Page about the California Cup Melges 24 event at SBYC.
Too bad it wasn't like this:
Attached File  Lounge Act.jpg   6.83K   26 downloads

#195 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

One hour until high tide and the waves are crashing over the breakwater. 25 to 40 knots of wind and up to one inch of rain per hour. A large vessel or barge is up on the beach. Batten down the hatches and check your bilge pumps! Folks in the boatyard might want to move to higher ground. :o

#196 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

I guess pounding upwind to Cabo in 25 knots was not in the game plan for Katana.
They dropped out.
I hope they had sick sacks.
Glad I missed this one.

#197 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:15 AM

Attached File  Whistle Wing Sea Cover.jpeg   76.08K   31 downloads

Great crew reunion of the Whistle Wing on Friday night! Sorely missed Malcom and Dave Wyman. But the stories flowed as did the wine and laughter. Thanks guys!
Attached File  Whistle Wing reunion 003.jpg   230.69K   34 downloads

#198 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

What ever happened to WW?
Is it on EBAY?

#199 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Quick re-cap of SD NOOD this past weekend:

Overall, last race made the whole weekend a lot of fun

Sat - crappy. No wind. Results were generally based on where you were when / if you caught a bit of breeze.

Sun - great w/ some damage.

Our Sun was pretty good

Race 1 = failed cunningham just before start had us scrambling but we managed to get it fixed before start. Upwind OK but not real solid for us. At 1st weather rounding - we were in 2nd - our mainsheet block failed and we were unable to ease main and dropped to our eventual 7th place finish. Fun race but not all we hoped for.

Race 2 = great fun in 20 - 25 kts. Better upwind with another notch up on the rig and we were blazing downwind. Our SF work paid off with solid sets and drops and very controlled / well-timed jibes during surfs. Our 2nd place was very solid and we were gaining on 1st when we finished. Made for great fun and 12 - 16 knots of speed downwind.

Other bits:

Steve Wyman originally from SB in J/80s was dismasted by a trailing competitor whose sprit hooked his backstay at leeward rounding. Spun him out and snapped the stick. No one hurt and the offending boat dropped out to help Steve back to harbor and de-rig boat. Steve given redress and w/ average points ended 2nd in regatta.

Two 120s collided as you probably saw on front page of SA.

Two 105s swapped paint - one was Chuck Driscoll who was fouled by Blink.

Chartered 105 (Chicago crew) dropped out due to outhaul failure.

SD 105 Air Boss dropped out when main halyard failed.

SD 105 Wings quit racing after a bad weather rounding in which they hit the mark. Eventually we passed them as they were shrimping their kite.

When we got back into harbor saw a couple of the Cabo retirees tied up - Pendragon, Rebel Yell.

#200 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

Quick re-cap of SD NOOD this past weekend:

3 Big Dogs won the J/24 fleet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users