1702 replies to this topic

#701 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Good to see some new blood injected into this thread. The old blood will be a one term wonder. Sorry.

#702 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

DB, I thought you jumped out of a 727 with a bundle of cash and died. What do you sail? I'll check back in the am.

#703 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

You have to be kidding me. Someone decides to make an issue in this forum of an altercation regarding SBYC staff, and the club's responsibility regarding staff, employment law, and their rights as a private entity to determine who they serve (in regards to non-club members who harass their staff)--and a response is expected by way of a vulgar discussion and threat towards a club member?

The people who check into this forum want to learn about local sailing news. Defamation of anyone's character by way of feces jokes, etc., is not only not welcome, but also unlawful. So stop.

If you want to comment meaningfully about local sailing, it would be welcome. If not, give those of us who interested in local sailing news a break and keep your feces comments to yourself.

#704 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

what this needs is........more cowbell!

I mean pass the Popcorn!

#705 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Posted Image

Will all ya' just shut the Fuck Up!

#706 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

That makes 18 Harbor 20's in the Santa Barbara fleet. Rumor has it that there is a 19th boat on its way.

When there are 20 20s, that boat could be called Hindsight.

Or, "Inter 20"!

#707 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Or Double Vision.

Or Spectacle-less.

#708 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

You have to be kidding me. Someone decides to make an issue in this forum of an altercation regarding SBYC staff, and the club's responsibility regarding staff, employment law, and their rights as a private entity to determine who they serve (in regards to non-club members who harass their staff)--and a response is expected by way of a vulgar discussion and threat towards a club member?

The people who check into this forum want to learn about local sailing news. Defamation of anyone's character by way of feces jokes, etc., is not only not welcome, but also unlawful. So stop.

If you want to comment meaningfully about local sailing, it would be welcome. If not, give those of us who interested in local sailing news a break and keep your feces comments to yourself.

All private clubs have a fixed cost problem. They need high volume to stay afloat. Most non-members at SBYC Wet Wednesdays are from the SBSC. So who from the sailing club is invited under the reciprocal privledge or other rule? The skippers and the crews of the SBSC boats entered. (duh). How about their significant others? Girl/boy friends -mistresses? Groupies? How about SBSC members who often race but are just spectating for this series? Where do you draw the line and who draws it? SBYC wants to protect their private club status, long may it wave. But the more restrictive they are, the more it hurts them because they lose revenue. An unruly or rude patron should be 86ed whether they are a guest or member but by the staff not a vigilante.

#709 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Popcorn done....It's ON!

#710 rucrazy2

rucrazy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:snowboarding

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

My dear sweet girl,

You missed the point entirely. Silent Bob got the point. You should lisyen toSilent Bob. You all should listen to Silent Bob. Apparently you all cannot fathom that most people only come here to read the latest installment of the SB sailing reality show. They are masters at baiting, and you all cannot help taking a bite. Thnk you for proving that point so well.

Considering the history of acrimonious exchanges in this place over the years, it is surprising that the SBYC leadership has not banned memeber participation. But then again, given that so many past directors participate, you can understand the lack of success, if they even tried. Most yacht clubs have their fair share of reality show misfits with their associated trials and tribulations. No place advertises those trials and tribulations like SBYC, not even close. We could discuss why, but then that would mean advertising what should not be made public. If you want to resolve isses amongst yourselves, have your buddy set up a member's only chat room on the club web site and have at it.

But all of you, please take Silent Bob's advice and stop embarrassing the other members.

#711 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

And up through the ground come a bubbling crude.

#712 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Popcorn done....It's ON!

Needs butter and salt....

#713 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

I saw Janer participate in kicking a guy out of the yacht club who owns and has raced his sailboat on Wet Wednesdays, usually sails with any of several dozen club members, and who has been to the club regularly on Wet Wednesdays for years. Apparently he was "rude" for pointing this out to the bar wench who wouldn't serve him, a non-club member, an expensive drink with his credit card showing for all to see.

Newbie, it's more than obvious that you are the little carbuncle that was asked to leave the Club. True, I will not stand by and let someone be abusive to our staff. You however have shot yourself in the foot by adding more insults to your unfortunate short history. You should be apologizing, instead you are making yourself a bigger asshole.

Janer, don't assume you know who posted what.....the original poster is someone you least expect.

#714 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

My dear sweet girl,

You missed the point entirely. Silent Bob got the point. You should lisyen toSilent Bob. You all should listen to Silent Bob. Apparently you all cannot fathom that most people only come here to read the latest installment of the SB sailing reality show. They are masters at baiting, and you all cannot help taking a bite. Thnk you for proving that point so well.

Considering the history of acrimonious exchanges in this place over the years, it is surprising that the SBYC leadership has not banned memeber participation. But then again, given that so many past directors participate, you can understand the lack of success, if they even tried. Most yacht clubs have their fair share of reality show misfits with their associated trials and tribulations. No place advertises those trials and tribulations like SBYC, not even close. We could discuss why, but then that would mean advertising what should not be made public. If you want to resolve isses amongst yourselves, have your buddy set up a member's only chat room on the club web site and have at it.

But all of you, please take Silent Bob's advice and stop embarrassing the other members.

I'm confused. How can you have a great reality sailing show without someone getting embarrassed? Sounds like one of those illogical statements said to a robot to make its brain explode on one of those crummy sci-fi shows.

#715 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

All private clubs have a fixed cost problem. They need high volume to stay afloat. Most non-members at SBYC Wet Wednesdays are from the SBSC. So who from the sailing club is invited under the reciprocal privledge or other rule? The skippers and the crews of the SBSC boats entered. (duh). How about their significant others? Girl/boy friends -mistresses? Groupies? How about SBSC members who often race but are just spectating for this series? Where do you draw the line and who draws it? SBYC wants to protect their private club status, long may it wave. But the more restrictive they are, the more it hurts them because they lose revenue. An unruly or rude patron should be 86ed whether they are a guest or member but by the staff not a vigilante.

Obviously revenue is not a problem for SBYC

#716 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

Crap......need more Popcorn.

#717 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

1333945436[/url]' post='3664421']

Why? What's the best part? ;)

#718 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

1291407763[/url]' post='3080319']

1291354071[/url]' post='3079646']
Wow, what an asshole move..Mad Max has created a new thread using our thread title. The guy has been non existence in sailing this year. What is his motive? :angry:

janer - i've knowm max for 20 years and he is the opposite of an asshole. you, on the other hand have presented yourself to be the very definition of one on many occasions.

+1

#719 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Divertido! All of the serious blasts against my post were from Newbies. My point was that no one is interested, and we should get back to sailing news. Contrary to previous comments, the majority of people who read SB Sailing do want to hear sailing news--that is why they are smarter than me and refuse to get into this pissing match. At some point, someone will report on sailing, and we'll have something else to talk about. Actually, I doubt the bar tab of SBSC members and their arm-candy comes anywhere near supporting the SBYC sailing program, but I'm sure the club would appreciate ya'all drinking a little more. Shit, if it means we can get back to sailing, I'll buy your damn drinks! Por favor!

#720 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

Sailing.......

#721 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Still Crazy

Attached Files

#722 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Attached File  3XPKCA99UVTTCA4UX650CA6WO3I7CAEVF6J3CA5788XGCABQZFXHCAFJ8YTZCA0HLHKNCABPXO0UCA31INOQCAIG857RCAGZ4OHVCAP1W8HCCAMC0DDUCAPPXMT3CA8MCSWLCA06OHFWCAAIB93NCAMONQA8.jpg   10K   3 downloadsBuddy could sail as well.

#723 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

Polynesian Concept (PolyCon)
C/S/K 35' cat

Buy the book, you might learn something!
Polynesian Concept by Buddy Ebsen

#724 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

I saw Buddy sail that thing IN Newport Harbor tacking and gybing in the Channels!

#725 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Divertido! All of the serious blasts against my post were from Newbies. My point was that no one is interested, and we should get back to sailing news. Contrary to previous comments, the majority of people who read SB Sailing do want to hear sailing news--that is why they are smarter than me and refuse to get into this pissing match. At some point, someone will report on sailing, and we'll have something else to talk about. Actually, I doubt the bar tab of SBSC members and their arm-candy comes anywhere near supporting the SBYC sailing program, but I'm sure the club would appreciate ya'all drinking a little more. Shit, if it means we can get back to sailing, I'll buy your damn drinks! Por favor!

n
Do we really want to talk about sailing? How about last Wed nite when he CHRF fleet starts on a course to no-where up the coast, downwind in 3 knots of dying breeze. Then 5 minutes later the H20s start down the coast and they all meet on the line. Luckily I was in the parking lot laughing. This happened years ago in Marina del rey when the wind was reversed and the race committee put up the T flag instead of reverse course and some of us checked the flag and others thought they knew what the flag was so we all met in the middle. Great for boatyards Oh, and if you are buying - I'll take a double.
d

#726 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Oh, and if you are buying - I'll take a double.

Someone (I mean if you're a Member!) buy this man a drink.

#727 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Sailing.

Attached Files

#728 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Local sailing.

Attached Files

#729 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Local sailing.

Loco Sailing:

Posted Image

#730 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

High Cal Sailing

Attached Files

#731 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Mechanic Failing-note name on shirt. This was the P 51 that splatted.

Attached Files

#732 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

High Cal Sailing

Low Cal Sailing

Attached Files

#733 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

Whoa....My old 20!

#734 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Local sailing.

Loco Sailing:

Posted Image

Never noticed the "north sails" logo. Need to hire those product placement guys :)

#735 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Oh, and if you are buying - I'll take a double.

Someone (I mean if you're a Member!) buy this man a drink.

Yeah....watch out for those vigilante members trying to reduce the club's income!

#736 DamnSkippy

DamnSkippy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Sailing.

Boat is For Sale

#737 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oh no. It's going to be cold, rainy, and windy. I'm scared. Attached File  1M5TCAKOJ0M8CA5B3LBDCAAU461XCACS9WB9CAAYD80WCA3SG2CECAPEDPQKCAC3Z9KFCAEAQYWHCAOB39JCCAEN8M0QCAB0I0XDCAHAZVGWCA07PC4ZCAELWGNSCARFP8A9CAN3M18ECA1NHQFECA6Y6YDH.jpg   4.29K   11 downloads

#738 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Sailing.

Boat is For Sale

Every boat is for sale.

#739 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Katana is for sale?

#740 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

Sailing is not a matter of Life or death.......

It's much more important than that!

#741 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

Straight up.

Attached Files

#742 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Sailing.

Attached Files

#743 Blow the guy 1

Blow the guy 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Sailing.

Dead sexy boat.

#744 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Blowing dogs off chains today (good thing mine are low profile)! Pumped for Melges California Cup today. Gotta go charge the GoPro...

#745 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Good luck JAG & crew. Keep the wheels on the truck.

#746 Jaded

Jaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Be glad you are not in Ventucky. No racing here except for our Friday night Laser racing.

#747 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Blowing dogs off chains today (good thing mine are low profile)! Pumped for Melges California Cup today. Gotta go charge the GoPro...

And stay on board - we just lost 2 racing sailors in Bellingham in a fire - we can't afford to lose any more - ai'nt too many of us left

#748 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Attached File  The team from Mexico.jpg   91.1K   31 downloadsGreat conditions for the Melges 24 California Cup, nice breeze maybe around 20-25 but the swell wass killer. Ugh, hard to keep the zoom lens steady.Attached File  Melges Cal Cup.jpg   77.45K   47 downloads
attachment=174568:Lounge Act takes off.jpg]

Attached Files

#749 dox2

dox2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Great pictures! Congrats Lounge Act!

#750 dox2

dox2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Very fun day on the water. The conditions became a little unsteady later in the day as the wind was so far north and couldn't figure out how to come off the land. Thanks to all the RC volunteers that allowed us to sail in the great conditions.

Here's a video for the downwind leg in the second race.

#751 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

I guess I posted that video under my wife's handle... :)

#752 afterguy

afterguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

And stay on board - we just lost 2 racing sailors in Bellingham in a fire - we can't afford to lose any more - ai'nt too many of us left

Tragedy up in N. Cal on the Farallones race (thread http://forums.sailin...howtopic=133952). Sucks.

#753 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Today's results:

1st place: Lounge Act. Congats to Loren, Jeff O and Jeff Grange, etc all.
Attached File  Lounge Act 3.JPG   102.51K   48 downloads
2nd Place: Average White Boat, Kent,Eric, Chewy, et all
Attached File  Average White Boat.JPG   226K   48 downloads
Bummer that some of the local teams did not race, but great teams from Washington and Mexico had a great time.
More pics later....

#754 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

Great shots Janer!!!!

And Congratulations!!!! Loungers!!!!

#755 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

The 4th on Lounge Act was Don Smith. A Santa Barbara native and regular crew member with Bruce Ayres M24, Monsoon.

#756 chica-loca

chica-loca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

The 4th on Lounge Act was Don Smith. A Santa Barbara native and regular crew member with Bruce Ayres M24, Monsoon.

My heart is breaking over what happened in San Francisco yesterday. Let's put it all in perspective and honor anyone who gets on a boat to challenge mother nature, and mourn those who die trying. Racing here yesterday was under terrible conditions. Everyone came home. I wish the same was true for SF. Let's send love north.

#757 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

This should be a reminder to local sailors to try and swim in foulie's and boots, preferably in a pool, to see how impossible it is to swim in seaboots and foulie's.

The answer is PFD's. Investment in self inflating types and knowing what a tether is and how to use it will also help. Any time it is windy..whatever your boats definition is, PFD's should be worn.

While I am on my soapbox....consider a whistle and mini strobe. Cheap insurance for being found.

#758 John Gault

John Gault

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Thanks fly boy!

#759 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

This should be a reminder to local sailors to try and swim in foulie's and boots, preferably in a pool, to see how impossible it is to swim in seaboots and foulie's.

The answer is PFD's. Investment in self inflating types and knowing what a tether is and how to use it will also help. Any time it is windy..whatever your boats definition is, PFD's should be worn.

While I am on my soapbox....consider a whistle and mini strobe. Cheap insurance for being found.

Whistle * strobe great idea - but what if it isn't windy when we set out - so no PFD and the wind comes up. Are you going to leave the rail or the helm to go below to get it? hell no. If something happens you are screwed. I have seen foredeck guys knocked in the water by at botched gybe and deck people hit by a boom in a sudden gybe to miss a boat -= whatever - they land in the water. My good friend Charlie drowned falling off a Merit 25 in a marina del rey wet wed in 15 knots of breeze. he left 2 kids and a lot of friends behind. Get a self-inflating PFD ( a good one) and wear it - make it part of your kit. Those memorial services are a real drag.

#760 Doc Häagen-Dazs

Doc Häagen-Dazs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Get a self-inflating PFD ( a good one) and wear it - make it part of your kit. Those memorial services are a real drag.

Good advice and good sentiment.

#761 Bill Gibbs

Bill Gibbs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Get a self-inflating PFD ( a good one) and wear it - make it part of your kit. Those memorial services are a real drag.

+1

#762 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

I agree with you and so try to stay in shorts as long as possible - you can swim in shorts

we learned this 20 years ago in the Larry Klein incident

however in this farallones case - breaking seas, high winds, and a rocky lee shore make it an almost impossible situation

I think the only rescue was from the rocks, I can't imagine getting slammed on those rocks

#763 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

After nearly 60 years of racing I get chills thinking about rounding the Farallons. Black, jagged monoliths punching from the depths, huge backwash clashing with open ocean swells, cold winds and water all make for a truly sobering experience. Sail this while the mind wanders to the Great Whites that are undoubtedly nearby and nightmares can follow.

All the years we've been on the water on all the small racing boats, all the great times and various results we've experienced teach many things but nothing so important as never taking the sea for granted and never assuming you've got it handled.

First, be safe.

Hearts out to those lost and those who love them.

#764 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Dawn Sherry caught these dynamic photos on Saturday just as a stantion failed on this Melges 24.

Attached File  man overboard 1.jpg   99.55K   41 downloads
Attached File  man overboard 2.jpg   107.23K   38 downloads
Attached File  man overboard 3.jpg   137.39K   39 downloads

Fast action by the driver and crew kept these two guys from being truly "overboard"

#765 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

The first shot is some serious droop hiking!

#766 bsainsbury

bsainsbury

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Sail boating

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Dawn Sherry caught these dynamic photos on Saturday just as a stantion failed on this Melges 24.

Attached File  man overboard 1.jpg   99.55K   41 downloads
Attached File  man overboard 2.jpg   107.23K   38 downloads
Attached File  man overboard 3.jpg   137.39K   39 downloads

Fast action by the driver and crew kept these two guys from being truly "overboard"

That was quite a shock for us when that stanchion broke. We got everyone back on quickly and safely and still managed a 3rd!

#767 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Congrats! And thanks for coming to Santa Barbara. :)

#768 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

eight bells

fair winds to long time ventucky sailor Jay Phillips

#769 full circle

full circle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

eight bells

fair winds to long time ventucky sailor Jay Phillips

sad to hear of his passing as well. my condolences to his family.
details here about his services.

http://www.venturayachtclub.org/sites/default/files/Jay%20Phillips_Memorial.pdf

#770 full circle

full circle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

shark attacks sea lion off of stearns wharf. yikes!

http://www.keyt.com/...-147973335.html

#771 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

shark attacks sea lion off of stearns wharf. yikes!

http://www.keyt.com/...-147973335.html

This is not news. This is no different from a cow eating grass. Seals are shark food. Sometimes one gets away. Happens all the time, including in front of the harbor.

#772 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

You neglected to mention that they found something "under" the wharf also. A dude wearing lingerie and playing the guitar. Now, what are the chances of that! :o

#773 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

Who was it?
Woody?

#774 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

VOR has started! That means that JAG and EricB will be sleeping on their respective couches. ;)

#775 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

More Melges 24 California Cup
Attached File  IMG_3794.JPG   88.32K   30 downloads
Attached File  Melges Cal Cup (800x534).jpg   187.43K   30 downloads
Attached File  IMG_3822.JPG   199.73K   26 downloads

#776 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

:-)
Bump

Attached Files

#777 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

#778 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Ughh.

Attached Files

#779 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Perfection.

Attached Files

#780 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,111 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Who was it?
Woody?

HAY NOW

You know I run with a dangerous Crowd ........................................

getting woman's under things "ON" has never been a goal I'v ever sought

You takin TAXI to Enchalada this year ??

gonna make "THE" Party ??

#781 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

I will be there in Spirit only.

Jet flying that weekend to PV :-)

#782 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,111 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

I will be there in Spirit only.

Jet flying that weekend to PV :-)

Bummer - Rumor has it that someone's flyin into

PV wearing lingerie and playing the guitar ????

Can't do that in the 1st seat do you ?? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

knew a guy who started missing the N2E Party then the race

started missing work same day as teh "Pride Parade"

then started doing the border run ??????

Hoping you'll be back for next year Posted Image Posted Image

#783 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hey Woody...here is a lightly used Panga from Ensenada.
Maybe you could take it back down and see who owns it.
It only has 10 hours on engines!
Someone let it get beached in SB.

They probably want to get it back!!!

Attached Files

#784 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

It is roomy with space for 40 people or 3 tons of stuff.

It holds plenty of gas too to make it to Ensenada.

You might want to clean it up a little.

Attached Files

#785 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Hey Woody...here is a lightly used Panga from Ensenada.
Maybe you could take it back down and see who owns it.
It only has 10 hours on engines!
Someone let it get beached in SB.

They probably want to get it back!!!

geez that's at least 80k worth of engines on the back of that thing, maybe as much as 100k. boat looks homemade. somebody had something worth shipping in that thing and it wasn't people.

#786 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Things go better with......

#787 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Avalon

Isthmus

Attached Files

#788 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Keith Lorence in front of New Malin Burnham Sailing Center at SDYC last week.

Attached Files

#789 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

'New', as in finished two years ago 'new'. We gotta get you out of the cockpit and back to some regattas, Max...

#790 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

'New', as in finished two years ago 'new'. We gotta get you out of the cockpit and back to some regattas, Max...

New as in compared to the 100 year old clubhouse it sits next to.

#791 Beckett

Beckett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Butterfly collecting<br />the Edge

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

aka Do Rag

#792 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

New as in compared to the 100 year old clubhouse it sits next to.

The current SDYC clubhouse is less than half that age. I certainly agree the Burnham Sailing Center is pretty incredible.

#793 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Tim Harris and boys Shredding on a J-125 to Cabo.

At 00:43 in the video they hit 25.7 knots!!!!

#794 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Any updates on Ensenada?
It's looking slow on Taxi.
Attached File  ensenada on Taxi.jpg   16.62K   33 downloads

#795 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

Looks like the local winners of the Ensenada Race are ;) going to be Rush Street (as usual) and Radio Flyer. Nice job Carolyn!

#796 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

Trophies also for Armida - Tom Bollay, and Tranquility - Max Lynn. Good year for SBYC.

#797 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

well done Rush Street

#798 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

well done Rush Street

Three cheers for Rush Street and Radio Flyer. Today is May Day and perhaps racing should send out a distress signal. With 2 boats on the rocks we did not have a good month of April Of course, we all know that when we send out our distress signal we are speaking French You are really saying m"aidez.

#799 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

On a percentage of entries basis, SBYC took home more trophies than any other club. I might have missed the club that had 1 entry and got a 3rd place trophy in the "run your engine" class. Well done by all our sailors.

#800 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

Congratulations SB gang! Ensenada is a fun race and though I am glad in retrospect to have missed a slow one.....they are all fun and hard to win.
Congrats Rushers...Flyers....Armids ...and The Traquil ones!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users