• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#1 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Happy Holidays everyone. If you have any questions about CRW, feel free to drop a line anytime (www.charlestonraceweek.com) or fire an email to info@charlestonraceweek.com. Still a newb I know but working on it... Let us know what we can do to continue to make this the best regatta on the planet.

Big Changes, Big Names, and Big Classes

Ensure Biggest Race Week Ever

NEW OFFSHORE COURSE MEANS SHORTER COMMUTE TO SOUTH'S BIGGEST REGATTA

CHARLESTON, SC (21 December 2010) – With more than four months until the start of 2011 Charleston Race Week, volunteers and professional staff are already hard at work to make "The World's Friendliest Regatta" the biggest and best in its history.

Race Director Randy Draftz and his team have already been hard at work on new solutions to provide the best experience possible for more than 1,400 sailors at Charleston Race Week. "This event's success has required constant adaptation and evolution from the professionals and volunteers that keep everything running," said Draftz. "Our biggest change for 2011 is to create a new location for our fourth course; the sportboats and smaller handicap raceboat course." Draftz explained that the new course would use the Dynamite Hole channel to eliminate nearly a half hour off the commute to the race course. "The new passage will require attention to navigation, but the sailing area will be fantastic and everyone will get to the party that much sooner!" The North circle will continue to host the larger IRC and PHRF boats, and as always, the event is scheduled so that substantial tidal currents push the boats out in the morning and pull them back in after racing.

Logistics Manager Danny Havens has already seen an uptick in classes ready to take to the new course. "Where safety allows it, we'll always adjust the way we do things if it makes our racers happy," Havens said. "Randy and his team found we could give people more of what they came here – great racing and great parties – so it was a no-brainer, and we hope the racers enjoy their new, easier commute."

Charleston Race Week runs from April 14th through April 17th in 2011. For more information, go to www.charlestonraceweek.com or to register, go to http://www.charlesto...e-registration/.

RACE WEEK WELCOMES NEW CLASSES AND NEW FACES FOR 2011

Much of Charleston Race Week's success comes from the passionate One-Design sailors, with boats like the Viper 640 and Melges 20 jump-starting their growth after the excitement of big turnouts at the past two Charleston Race Weeks. The stalwart Melges 24 Class is using 2011's Race Week as the final stop en route to an exciting 2011 World Championship in Texas, and of course the J/24 and J/80 Classes never disappoint with strong turnout and great competition. In addition, Charleston is proud to welcome two classes that haven't competed at Race Week in years, Tartan 10s and J/22s.

"We love Charleston Race Week, but until this year we couldn't seem to get enough momentum together for the mostly Midwest-based fleet to get to Charleston," said Ted Mahoney, the T-10 National Fleet Captain. "We've finally bitten the bullet though after hearing about and seeing so many happy Charleston competitors for the past few years. We're confident the T-10 fleet will enjoy great racing at Charleston Race Week for their 2011 Midwinter Championship."

Another new-to-Race Week class is the hugely popular J/22. Attracting well over a hundred boats to its recent Rochester, NY World Championship, few boats deliver the kind of bang-for-the-buck as the well-balanced race boat from Rhode Island-based J/Boats. Charleston is lucky to have one of the world's top J/22 racers as a new resident and Director of Sailing at the always-competitive College of Charleston, Greg Fisher. "Charleston Race Week would be such a super opportunity for J/22 sailors. There are many boats within just a day's drive and the sailing here is just incredible." said Fisher. "We have even been discussing some sort of a clinic Thursday evening to help make the regatta even a bit more tempting. We invite all J/22s to come down and experience this incredible venue that I've fallen in love with."

Yet another new face has confirmed his entry to 2011 Charleston Race Week, this one with the suntanned Mediterranean charm of Melges Europe President Federico Michetti, who will enter with the two-time Melges 24 World Champion Uka Uka Racing Team. "It seems every month that we hear yet another great comment about Charleston and with the World Championship just a month later in Texas, this will be the perfect place to get some big fleet practice time in the boat in preparation for Worlds," said Michetti, the only man to ever win three Melges 24 World Championships. "It's also the ideal spot to spend some enjoyable time with my friends from the other Melges fleets and I can't wait to learn what this 'southern hospitality' that I hear about really means!"

FREE BOAT STORAGE – BIG AND SMALL – CONTINUES FOR FIFTH YEAR

Charleston Race Week cares about keeping your expenses down, and they've again partnered with Azalea Moving and Storage to offer free, secure storage of trailered boats under 30 feet from January until Race Week. In addition, Pierside Boatworks is offering the same money-saving deal to larger boats that have their boats rigged and launched for Race Week at the yard. Conditions apply to both storage solutions, and competitors can find out more here: http://www.charlesto...ge-haul-launch/. Competitors are urged to make arrangements soon before the free spaces fill up.

RESORT DISCOUNT AVAILABLE FOR ONLY TWO MORE WEEKS

Now in its fifth year of hosting Charleston Race Week, Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina is the ideal place for you and your crew to stay to get the most out of your time in town. Situated on the Mount Pleasant shore of the Harbor just minutes from downtown Charleston by car or water taxi, this highly regarded four-star resort hotel is offering substantial room discounts for those who book their Race Week lodging before December 31st. To book your room, visit http://www.charlesto...nd-attractions/.

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....rlestonRaceWeek
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CHSRaceWeek
Follow us on YouTube: http://www.youtube.c...rlestonRaceWeek

#2 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Sounds like a good one hope I can make it this year. Anyone have any info on Chartering a Viper 640 for this event please PM me.

#3 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

We're putting together a charter page for everyone too - should be some Vipers available... Sorry it's not running yet but it will be soon...

If anyone wants to charter a boat, drop us a line and we'll toss up a note on the site and FB page

#4 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:06 AM

sick vids if you haven't seen them already... http://www.youtube.c...lestonRaceWeek and click on favorites...

Bora, Nixon, Taselaar... Maybe a few chucktown hotties mixed in here and there

#5 Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Community organizing.

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:40 AM

Posted Image
I'm from SA, and I'm here to help you.

RUN!

#6 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

thanks.

#7 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Where on the site is the crew list? Thanks, Winever.

#8 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Here's the link: http://www.yachtscor...event_board.cfm

Thanks for the heads up - we'll toss this up in a better place on the site.

#9 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

actually if that didn't work try this one and then click on "crew/ boat boards"

http://www.yachtscor...enu.cfm?eID=407

#10 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

69 and counting - not bad so far - http://yachtscoring....es.cfm?eID=407

#11 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

Here's the link: http://www.yachtscor...event_board.cfm

Thanks for the heads up - we'll toss this up in a better place on the site.

Thanks, that worked, I appreciate it. Cheers, Winever.

#12 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

69 and counting - not bad so far - http://yachtscoring....es.cfm?eID=407

Only 69 versus 193 from last year? DEAD!

Just wanted to get that in before Espo, LOL.

Winever.

#13 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

Believe it or not, that's actually up over 20% from this time last year... Should blow past the 200 finally...

#14 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:02 AM

Believe it or not, that's actually up over 20% from this time last year... Should blow past the 200 finally...

cool.....

#15 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:45 AM

Looks to be mostly sport boats? Any one design lead mines for us geezers??

Maybe Etchells?? I can sleep on my kids couch for a couple days down there.......

#16 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

This year will be my first CRW. Sailing in PHRF but I'm really looking forward to it.

#17 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

This year will be my first CRW. Sailing in PHRF but I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing that.

#18 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

Maybe Etchells?? I can sleep on my kids couch for a couple days down there.......

Sure, plenty of lead mines... Here's the old 2010 list - lots of classes... http://www.yachtscor...ive.cfm?eID=301

#19 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

Solid - although tons of sporties also lots and lots of PHRF and IRC. almost half of 180ish boats from 2010 were PHRF with a decent number of IRC mixed in...

2010 results by classes:

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=301

#20 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

We're putting together the "official charter hook up" page - if you have anything you want to charter drop us a line at info@charlestonraceweek.com.

sporties, ODs, leadmines and PHRF or IRC machines all welcome...

www.charlestonraceweek.com

#21 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

You could probably clean up with an Etchells in PHRF. I bet Matt would let you borrow 73 and I could drive. All we'd need is a bowgirl (or guy). Getting it down there would be a PITA though.

#22 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

You could probably clean up with an Etchells in PHRF. I bet Matt would let you borrow 73 and I could drive. All we'd need is a bowgirl (or guy). Getting it down there would be a PITA though.

That would be cool to take a couple down there and race them PHRF; what do they rate? 20 yo daughter who lives down there races Thistles

#23 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:19 AM

That would be cool to take a couple down there and race them PHRF; what do they rate? 20 yo daughter who lives down there races Thistles

The PHRF boats race outside the harbor - it would be a major PITA to get an etchells out and back unless the tide and wind is cooperating

#24 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

I believe around 120. 73 was raced in the Hall Series a couple years ago and did very well with that rating even with the required ladies being newbies.

How does she look in a bikini? :P

#25 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

Etchells could be towed out to race.

Snow Guy....daughter is six feet of lean muscle; she could probably kick your ass....:lol: :blink: :ph34r:

#26 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

Snow Guy....daughter is six feet of lean muscle; she could probably kick your ass....:lol: :blink: :ph34r:

Somebody would definately tow you out. They plan the event around the tides, so should have fair current in and out.

#27 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

It's all good. I don't mind it rough. :D

It seems like that'd be a fun venue for some Etchells OD racing. The only problem is it's too long after the end of the Jag Series to get boats on their way back home.

#28 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Any chance the water taxi would run into the evening?

#29 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

Snow Guy....daughter is six feet of lean muscle; she could probably kick your ass....:lol:

It seems like that'd be a fun venue for some Etchells OD racing. The only problem is it's too long after the end of the Jag Series to get boats on their way back home.

But, both of us prefer older women, you know!?:lol:

I was surprised to learn there is no Etchells fleet in or near Charleston. Daughters boyfried who is a native, says it is due to a lack of shoreside facilities?? How is dry sailing an Etchells that much different or land consumptive than a Melges 24 fleet?? Do they launch the Melges from their trailers, or from a crane or hoist?

#30 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:10 AM

Any chance the water taxi would run into the evening?

I believe it runs until midnight - but double check yourself - don't want you to bitch at me for getting stranded on the wrong side of the harbor

#31 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

Snow Guy....daughter is six feet of lean muscle; she could probably kick your ass....:lol:

But, both of us prefer older women, you know!?:lol:

I was surprised to learn there is no Etchells fleet in or near Charleston. Daughters boyfried who is a native, says it is due to a lack of shoreside facilities?? How is dry sailing an Etchells that much different or land consumptive than a Melges 24 fleet?? Do they launch the Melges from their trailers, or from a crane or hoist?

We launch 24's (M and J's) from hoists at Charleston and Carolina YC. No trailer launching. You need to be a guest of a Carolina YC member to launch from there (ie, less crowded) but ChYC is where any CRW competitor can launch, and the operation there flows fairly smoothly. Some CRW Vipers opt for the trailer launch at a public ramp in Mt. Pleasant.

#32 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Keep an eye out for a new press release this week!

http://www.charlestonraceweek.com/
http://www.youtube.c...rlestonRaceWeek
http://www.facebook....rlestonRaceWeek
http://twitter.com/CHSRaceWeek

#33 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Here's our latest press release! Check it out...

Charleston Race Week Entries Up Over 53% From 2010

HUGE INCREASE OVER RECORD 2010 YEAR AS NEW SPONSORS COME ABOARD

CHARLESTON, SC (12 JANUARY 2011) – Race organizers for the South's biggest multiclass keelboat regatta have the kind of problem everyone wishes they had: there are more boats registering for 2011 Charleston Race Week than anyone expected!

"We've been happy to see our event grow so steadily over the past five years, especially given the economic climate for much of that period," said Danny Havens, who took over running Race Week operations late in 2009, shortly after Brad Van Liew retuned to solo around the world racing in the Velux 5 Oceans Race. "Still, we're a bit surprised to see that our entry list has exploded for 2011, reaching 100 boats almost a month earlier than we did last year!" Havens may be surprised, but his race management team is ready. "We've got a top notch group of race officers and a huge pile of great volunteers to make sure things run smoothly on the water, and we know the resort can handle plenty more partygoers. I say 'bring it on!'" said Race Director Randy Draftz.

Charleston has long been regarded as one of the top tourist destinations in the United States, but the past decade has seen the historic gem gain notoriety as a top notch sailing destination through numerous maritime events, many of them organized by the non-profit South Carolina Maritime Foundation, the same body that co-organizes Charleston Race Week. "The Foundation's primary goal is to provide students with hands-on educational opportunities both aboard the Spirit of South Carolina tall ship and through land-based programming. Our programs focus on providing students with enrichment opportunities and skills that will allow them to become our future leaders. To support our programs, SCMF relies on support from the community as well as the revenue generated by our maritime events like Charleston Race Week and Charleston Harbor Fest, and ocean races like the Charleston Bermuda Race, Global Ocean Race, and Velux 5 Oceans Race," explained Executive Director Sarah Piwinski. In fact, many of the Foundation's members are avid sailors and Piwinski says the membership is "extremely happy to see Race Week become such a success."

Charleston Race Week runs from April 14th through April 17th for 2011, and includes four separate race courses with more than a dozen inshore and offshore one-design, PHRF and IRC handicap racing classes for boats from 20 to 70 feet. For more information and a current entry list, go to www.charlestonraceweek.com. To register, go to http://www.charlesto...e-registration/. The deadline for the early registration discount is January 31, 2011.

LONGTIME SUPPORTERS RETURN, AND CHARLESTON WELCOMES NEW FRIENDS

Charleston Race Week is proud to have the continuing support of sponsors that have helped it become the premier event in the South, with a great package of products and support from old friends at top-notch companies. Returning competitors will be happy to know they can count on great clothing from vineyard vines, the best in technical apparel from Gill, action photography from Photoboat.com, amazing drinks from Gosling's Rum, support from Pierside Boatworks, and the best regatta venue in America at the Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina. Gill is even in the process of developing an online store tailored specifically to Charleston Race Week, where competitors can prepare with any and all technical apparel team gear.

vineyard vines, the Stamford-based clothing company best known for its whimsical neckties, has stepped up as a presenting sponsor for 2011 Charleston Race Week. "At vineyard vines, we love sailing and we love Charleston, so naturally Charleston Race Week has always been a great fit for us," said Sponsorship and Experiential Marketing Manager Christine Capone. "Over the years, we've enjoyed watching the event's strong growth and we're thrilled to see that Charleston Race Week's organizers and competitors have kept the attitude positive and the event fun."

Charleston's waterfront is also pleased to welcome North Sails,the world's leading sailmaker, to Charleston Race Week as the event's exclusive sailmaking partner for 2011. "Charleston Race Week has been the talk of the industry for the past couple of years, and it's the kind of success that North Sails is very happy to support," said Gary Weisman, North Sails President. North Sails Charleston will have onsite repair facilities to provide overnight repairs for the entire fleet. "We don't want anyone to miss even one minute of the great racing Charleston has to offer," said Charleston natives and loft owners Peter and George Durst.

FREE BOAT STORAGE STILL AVAILABLE

Charleston Race partners Azalea Moving and Pierside Boatworks continue to offer free storage for boats that arrive in town early. Conditions apply to both storage solutions, and competitors can find out more here: http://www.charlesto...ge-haul-launch/. Competitors are urged to make arrangements soon before the free spaces fill up.

EARLY REGISTRATION

The deadline for the early registration discount is January 31, 2011. Competitors are encouraged to sign up now since it is already mid January and time is flying by. With 100 boats already on the entry list, race organizers want to make sure nobody misses out. Competitors may register here: http://www.charlesto...e-registration/.

Visit us on:

#34 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

cool.....

indeed

#35 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I believe around 120. 73 was raced in the Hall Series a couple years ago and did very well with that rating even with the required ladies being newbies.

How does she look in a bikini? :P

We have a couple of Etchells around here. One occasionally races PHRF at 120 and always does very well. Cheers, Win ever.

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,684 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

North Sails - that's a big get.

Heard another big sponsor is on the brink of signing up.

Methinks the parties are going to be bigger this year, if that's possible.

And here I am living in Detroit.

#37 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

The PHRF boats race outside the harbor - it would be a major PITA to get an etchells out and back unless the tide and wind is cooperating

just to keep everyone happy, we actually scheduled the event around the tides. Big flush pushing boats out and then bringing everyone back in. Not too long if you get lucky enough to reach it with a kite too...

#38 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Don't forget about the early registration discount - Jan 31 is the deadline...

Hard to believe it's already Jan 19 - and time is flying by...

#39 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

bump... need more sporties to sign up...

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,684 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

Give it time. It was a good sporty fleet last year and the event is 30 boats ahead this year of where they were then.

#41 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

It is April yet???

#42 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

Daughter said she can get me a ride on a J-One hundred something, if she and her boyfriend bring it up from florida. Don't think I can swing it in this economy...:huh:

#43 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

Daughter said she can get me a ride on a J-One hundred something, if she and her boyfriend bring it up from florida. Don't think I can swing it in this economy...:huh:

The boat or the grandbaby after you send your daughter out to sea with a college dude????

#44 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

Just a reminder - Monday is the last day to receive the early registration discount... :)
http://www.charlesto...e-registration/

#45 budman

budman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

Just a reminder - Monday is the last day to receive the early registration discount... :)

"You Bad Girl" crew has talked about and is highly considering CRW, though we have some work to do on the boat following post race boat run down at KW. Will send this to boat owner and perhaps get signed up to be there. Thanks for the reminder.

#46 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

"You Bad Girl" crew has talked about and is highly considering CRW, though we have some work to do on the boat following post race boat run down at KW. Will send this to boat owner and perhaps get signed up to be there. Thanks for the reminder.

No problemo. If you guys need any help, just drop a line at info@charlestonraceweek.com.

Free storage, special dockage rates, sick parties, good times...

#47 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

The boat or the grandbaby after you send your daughter out to sea with a college dude????

No, can't afford the time away and travel expense after a week in Fort Liquordale with Mom in eleven days. Wife going to Chucktown to be with girls...

No worries about the daughter; Wife is paying for her birth control and the BF is a nice guy but not highly motivated.

But he does have a Thistle, and a dad with a PERF boat...

At least she is sailing vs. clubbing.

#48 keydup

keydup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:sailing, fishing

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

You can't afford to come, but sending Wife AND daughter, that's the most expensive part of Charleston. Lots of shopping opportunities...

#49 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,684 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

150 boats by this weekend...insane. Methinks next year there will be a waiting list.

#50 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:36 AM

billybackstay: After missing two years, I am trying to get back in shape after double rotator-cuff surgery to be there this year...at least send me pics of your wife & daughter :rolleyes:

#51 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

last day for registration discount. 32 m24's so far, including uka uka...good, cheap tuneup for corpus.

#52 vtsail

vtsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

billybackstay: After missing two years, I am trying to get back in shape after double rotator-cuff surgery to be there this year...at least send me pics of your wife & daughter :rolleyes:

+1

#53 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

today is indeed the last day to receive the early reg discount... Chucktown madness is spurring up! 160 + on the entry list and more are flooding in today...

Here's the entry list in case you see any friendly faces: http://yachtscoring....ies.cfm?eID=407

http://www.charlesto...-registration/

#54 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

today is indeed the last day to receive the early reg discount... Chucktown madness is spurring up! 160 + on the entry list and more are flooding in today...

Here's the entry list in case you see any friendly faces: http://yachtscoring....ies.cfm?eID=407

POOR KW, my heart is bleeding

#55 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

not really the same, key west had way more big boats.

#56 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

Who cares about the pompus asses with there big boats. Another Stock Market crash and there won't be anymore big boats.
Stop thinking its the big boats that make these events, it's the amount of boats. Bottom line money in verse money out!

#57 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Great to see almost 200 boats. Needing more Events with numbers like this. Organizers should take note and maybe we can see more events with these numbers. Jespo is correct its not all about big boats its numbers and CRW will see a record amount of sailors this year. Great work guys

#58 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

Damn, you are really coming...

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,684 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:29 AM

Holy crap. 192 registered.

That's the number of total boats at 2010 CRW, which by the way was a record.

Harbor's gonna be scary!

Note: You'll be able to watch plenty of the action LIVE...

#60 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, It will bring the event down a few notches

#61 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

He was there last year too. Didn't win sailing with us so this year going back to take home trophies on his own boat...

and yes he is still a asshole!

#62 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

He was there last year too. Didn't win sailing with us so this year going back to take home trophies on his own boat...

and yes he is still a asshole!

We did win, inspite of ourselves

#63 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

Holy crap. 192 registered.

That's the number of total boats at 2010 CRW, which by the way was a record.

Harbor's gonna be scary!

Note: You'll be able to watch plenty of the action LIVE...

193 Clean - come on now...

#64 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

40 m24's registered so far, including the champs. with late spring cold fronts blowing through or big temperature gradient seabreezes, crw will be the best tune up for a breezy, competitve world's outside corpus at a reasonable price to boot.

#65 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

hoofharted - thanks for the ping... In receipt of email as well...

A few RVs park on the road on the way in. Not too bad with plenty of trees around.

We also have an inquiry into the Town of Mt. Pleasant to see if they can do something special for you...

#66 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

45 m24's registered. if you're an m24 owner and not one of the 45, get your shit together.

#67 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

from the us m24 class:

"Attention all Melges 24 Teams —

The U.S. Melges 24 Class Association has (heard a) good rumor that Charleston Race Week Race Management may close registration on Circle 2 (M24, M20, and J80) after this weekend due to a huge number of registrants. Please login right now and register and pay!

We are up to 49 boats and I think there are at least 10 more planning to attend."

see above post if you own a m24 and are not one of the 49.

#68 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

from the us m24 class:

The U.S. Melges 24 Class Association has (heard a) good rumor that Charleston Race Week Race Management may close registration on Circle 2 (M24, M20, and J80) after this weekend due to a huge number of registrants. Please login right now and register and pay!

We are up to 49 boats and I think there are at least 10 more planning to attend."

Awesome! Keep up the good work.
Maybe you could get some J/29 to come while your at it

#69 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

227 on the entry list!

In case you live under a rock and didn't hear the big news, here it is!

2011 Charleston Race Week: Growth Spike Continues

UNPRECEDENTED GROWTH INCREASE AS NEW
TITLE SPONSOR SPERRY TOP-SIDER ANNOUNCED

CHARLESTON, SC (15 FEBRUARY 2011) – Most folks who've participated in the past few Charleston Race Weeks say the event lacks nothing. Perfect sailing breeze, comfortable temperatures, a gorgeous race venue and stellar on-shore and on-water race management are the rule, as evidenced by the unprecedented growth experienced by the South's biggest regatta for the fifth straight year. But the 'world's friendliest regatta' has, indeed, been missing something big, as Logistics Manager Danny Havens explains:

"We've been approached by many companies who were interested in becoming the Title Sponsor for our little regatta over the past few years, but none of them were the perfect partner that Charleston Ocean Racing Association (CORA) and South Carolina Maritime Foundation (SCMF) have been seeking, so we passed," Havens said. "This week, we've finalized an agreement that changes all that. We're immensely proud and excited to announce 2011 Charleston Race Week is now the 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week!"

Sperry Top-Sider President Craig Reingold is equally excited about the new partnership. "Charleston Race Week's competitors and management embrace the same values and aspirations as Sperry Top-Sider," Reingold said. "A passion for life in, on and around the sea, and a love of sporting competition. We couldn't be happier with our decision to join the Charleston Race Week team and lend our support to one of the world's great regattas."

2011 EVENT ENTRIES SHATTER OVERALL RECORD WITH MONTHS TO GO

2010 Charleston Race Week was the biggest ever, with 193 registered entries at the start of the event and 182 of them making it to the line. With 215 racing teams registered as of today, 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week has emphatically smashed that all-time record more than two months before the event's start. "I suppose we shouldn't be surprised with all the great press and word-of-mouth that Race Week has gotten, but to have 215 boats at this early date – a full 60 boats more than we had at this time last year – is thrilling!" said Race Director Randy Draftz. "We owe a huge debt of gratitude to everyone who has helped spread the word about our amazing town – the media, Charleston's local racers, and our great competitors who've told their friends about CRW for all these years!"

To see a list of current entries, click on http://yachtscoring....ies.cfm?eID=407.

BIG BOATS ON THE INCREASE AS OFFSHORE COMMUTE SHRINKS

While Charleston Race Week's huge growth has coincided with US racing's general trend towards smaller, faster, easier to race "sportboats," organizers are pleased to see the big boat fleets on the rise as well. "More than 60 of our entries on this early date are over 30 feet long, which will make 2011 not only an overall attendance record, but a record for big boats as well," said Havens. "With our new, quicker shortcut route to the formerly distant South Offshore Course confirmed and estimated at less than 40 minutes from marina to course, we're confident that no one will miss any party action," added Draftz.

BIG BOAT REGISTRATION DISCOUNT EXTENDED, RACE CHARTERS AVAILABLE

With big boat Winter Circuit plans upended by the cancellation of the Miami Grand Prix, organizers of 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week have extended the Early Registration Discount to boats over 35 feet until February 25th. "A number of potential big boat competitors have told us they are still trying to re-organize their race calendars for the late winter/early spring, so we're giving them an additional week to get their ducks in a row," explained Havens. Teams can register at http://www.charlesto...e-registration/.

2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week runs from April 14th through April 17th, and includes four separate race courses for more than a dozen inshore and offshore one-design, PHRF and IRC handicap racing classes for boats from 20 to 70 feet. For more information and a current entry list, go to www.charlestonraceweek.com, and to register, go to http://www.charlesto...e-registration/.

ABOUT SPERRY TOP-SIDER

Since 1935, Sperry Top-Sider has been the leading brand of footwear for those with a Passion for the Sea. From its introduction of the World's first siped rubber outsole for non-marking traction to advanced technical fabrication to combat the elements, Sperry Top-Sider remains at the vanguard of high-performance amphibious footwear. Available around the globe in independent, marine, outdoor and department stores, Sperry Top-Sider is the official footwear of the Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Regattas, US SAILING, the US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics, and the National Safe Boating Council.

Based in historic Lexington, Massachusetts, Sperry Top-Sider supports a wide range of ocean-related activities through its many sponsorships, including Key West Race Week, the New York Yacht Club's Invitational Cup, the Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week and the Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Regattas. Sperry Top-Sider was also recently recognized for its recent brand transformation by industry trade magazine Footwear News by being named 2009 "Brand of the Year." Sperry Top-Sider is a division of the Collective Brands Performance and Lifestyle Group, a subsidiary of Collective Brands, Inc. (NYSE: PSS). For more information, please visit www.sperrytopsider.com or www.passionforthesea.com, or email beverly.antunes@sperrytopsider.com

ABOUT CHARLESTON RACE WEEK

2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week is an event of South Carolina Maritime Foundation and Charleston Ocean Racing Association. All profits from the event support educational programs aboard the Spirit of South Carolina, a 140-foot tall ship serving South Carolina's youth. 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week is sponsored by Sperry Top-Sider, North Sails, vineyard vines, Gill, OnDeck, Gosling's Rum, Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina, Newport Shipyard, Azalea Moving & Storage, Charleston Yachting, Pierside Boatworks, Coastal Marine Transport and Rising High Cafι.

Check out the event site at www.charlestonraceweek.com/ for more information, including Notice of Race, Sailing Instructions, media information, logistical support, news, video and photos.

http://www.youtube.c...tonRaceWeek#p/f

#70 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

from the us m24 class:

Be nice to me and I just might bring my 29.

#71 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

from the us m24 class:

Good someone else to beat up on, is that suppose to be a threat?
We would still need 1 more
I have always been nice, but that didn't work that's why I have been on the attack. You see and it might have worked.

#72 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

from the us m24 class:

I have always been nice, but that didn't work that's why I have been on the attack. You see and it might have worked.

Mongo sails every year. They're local so probably going to sign up late.
That will make 5 with us. I wouldn't want you to travel (again finally) 800 miles to race PHRF.

As far as being a threat, take it as you want!!

#73 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

from the us m24 class:

Mongo sails every year. They're local so probably going to sign up late.
That will make 5 with us. I wouldn't want you to travel (again finally) 800 miles to race PHRF.

As far as being a threat, take it as you want!!

Mongo not sailing this year I'm told.
A threat would be if Rift showed up

#74 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

Who cares about the pompus asses with there big boats. Another Stock Market crash and there won't be anymore big boats.
Stop thinking its the big boats that make these events, it's the amount of boats. Bottom line money in verse money out!

Eat the rich!

BTW, anyone wealthy has already recovered more than what they were down when BHO crashed the market......

#75 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

51 m24's. redic.

#76 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:55 AM

51 m24's. redic.

Simple, best racing sailboat ever made. yet.

#77 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

Esposito, I don't think there is a single person left here who isn't fully aware that neither you nor Clean like Key West RW's management. Most of us who have just as many years down there as you disagree, but regardless of that you can safely give it a rest now. Thanks for your input.

#78 pete

pete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

Touche'
Whats wrong with trying to make a living putting on first rate regattas?

#79 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

CHARLESTON, SC (24 FEBRUARY 2011) - 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week's inshore courses have seen incredible growth this year. Due to the unprecedented number of entrants, the difficult decision has been made to limit the number of inshore entries as of February 24. This is being done to preserve the high caliber of racing expected in Charleston. Please note the revised entry and payment dates below.

Inshore boats that are already entered must complete their registration with a payment in full by 1800 March 8, 2011 or their entry will be removed from the scratch sheet.

Entries received after March 8, 2011 will be considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the organizing authority. Inshore Circles One and Two consist of the J/22, J/24, Ultimate 20, Viper 640, Melges 24, Melges 20 and J/80 classes. If you have not paid your entry fee please do so. Please remember, a registration is not complete until the entry fee is received.

All new entries for ONLY Inshore Circles One and Two as of February 24, 2011 will be placed on a waiting list.

Please check your payment status here:
http://www.yachtscor...enu.cfm?eID=407

Please submit your payment here, if needed:

Thank you all for contributing to another record breaking year! We hope you will appreciate our decision, as the physical space inside the harbor is limited and we want to provide the highest quality of racing possible.

Best regards,

Charleston Race Week Team
[email="info@charlestonraceweek.com"]info@charlestonraceweek.com

http://www.charlestonraceweek.com/

#80 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

240 AND COUNTING
2011 SPERRY TOP-SIDER CHARLESTON RACE WEEK NOW AMERICA'S BIGGEST

CHARLESTON, SC (26 FEBRUARY 2011) – With more than 240 boats registered for the newly re-titled 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week, the rapidly growing event takes over the title as the United States' largest keelboat regatta. "We're thrilled about all of the talks about titles down here," said Logistics Manager Danny Havens, "and we're happy to be able to welcome so many new friends to our wonderful town and harbor."

With dozens more entries possible in the nearly seven weeks remaining until the event begins, Charleston's signature event clearly has come up with a formula that is working. "Of the entire winter and spring series, Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week has become the event that's just way too good to miss," said Detroit-based sportboat skipper Paul Hulsey, who will sail in the 50+ boat strong Melges 24 fleet.

To see a list of current entries, click on http://yachtscoring....ies.cfm?eID=407.

MIXED FLEET RACING ON THE RISE AT RACE WEEK

While the bulk of the 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week fleet will sail in one-design (identical) fleets, handicap racing continues to grow at the US's largest keelboat regatta, with over 60 entries already in the handicap rating classes. Competitors have praised Charleston's big boat rating competition in recent years for close sectional handicap splits, big class fleets and the separation of light displacement "sportboats" from more conventional designs. Sabre 38 owner Ken King believes this is one of the big reasons for the continued growth of the handicap classes. "You just have to have those speedsters separated from the heavier designs in the good breeze we have here," he said. "Fortunately, Charleston has enough entries to split the divisions and still have big classes, which means better racing for everyone."

Sportboat owners are extremely enthused to have a second straight year with their own fleet. "Charleston is shaping up to be the premier handicap regatta for sportboats on the East Coast this year, or anywhere in the USA for that matter," said Pete Hunter, skipper of the North Carolina-based hot rod Wairere, a Thompson 30. Hunter will compete against powered-up designs like the Melges 30, Henderson 30 and Viper 830 in Charleston. "The folks at Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week are doing everything they can to make this a success; (limited) free dockage, storage, reasonable fees…they even adjusted the schedule so we have favorable tidal currents to and from the course. So we are in!"

As the fleet size has increased along with the size of individual big boat classes, the prestige of winning one of the two overall perpetual trophies for the event – the Charleston Cup and the historic Palmetto Cup – has also gone up a notch, as have the already excellent prize packages for the top performers. Longtime Charleston Race Week supporter Gill is sweetening the pot. "We're so happy to see sailboat racing on the rise for another year in Charleston that we're throwing in two certificates for $500.00 worth of Gill Bucks each for the top One-Design and Handicap performers," said David Pritchard, President of Gill North America. "We also have some exciting multimedia projects we're working on with the organizers that will help sailors around the world really get the flavor of this great event." Gill will also be unveiling a new CRW line of technical clothing through its event partner Coral Reef Sailing Apparel and has a CRW online store available at http://coralreefsail...ston_race_week1.

Teams can register at http://www.charlesto...e-registration/

ONDECK RACE CHARTERS NOW AVAILABLE

Racers who can't get their own boats to Charleston now have a great new option for the 2011 event: the OnDeck "Charter Hookup." OnDeck Charleston is the newest branch of the successful international charter and sail training outfit, and they still have two excellent Farr 40 racing boats available for Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week. According to the event website, racers can "…fly in for peanuts on Southwest Airlines, rent a car at the airport, and drive straight to the dock and a well-prepped race boat" for the week. "OnDeck prides itself on offering unique experiences to sailors throughout the world, and if you've been dying to sail Charleston Race Week, we've got you covered," said OnDeck Charleston's General Manager, Dave Kowert. "OnDeck can provide a skipper, crew, sails or anything else you need to get you on the line – then the results are up to you!" Other boats, like a late-model Melges 24, are also available for charter. Browse the charter list or offer your own boat for charter at http://www.charlesto...harter-hook-up/.

ORGANIZERS WELCOME STILL MORE GREAT SPONSORS

While 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week has benefitted hugely from longtime supporters like vineyard vines, Gill, Gosling's and Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina, organizers are excited to welcome the flood of new supporters of this now-classic event. Legendary Newport, Rhode Island based boatyard Newport Shipyard has joined 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week as a supporter of the record-breaking 2011 event. "We have a number of clients attending the regatta, and we feel a duty to support the events that they really enjoy, like Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week," said Shipyard manager Eli Dana. "While supporting such a huge event is a nice branding opportunity for us as well, the chance to contribute to an event that's having such a positive effect on sailboat racing is one we just couldn't pass up."

Also new for 2011 is OnDeck Charleston. "We're extremely excited to have OnDeck Charleston's support for 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week," said Havens. "They've proven to be an amazing asset to other major regattas that they're involved with, and we think US sailors are going to benefit greatly by their entry into the US sailing market."

FREE BOAT STORAGE STILL AVAILABLE
Charleston Race Week partners Azalea Moving and Storage, Pierside Boatworks and Charleston Yachting continue to offer free storage for boats that arrive in town early. Conditions apply to both storage solutions, and competitors can find out more here: http://www.charlesto...ge-haul-launch/. Competitors are urged to make arrangements soon before the free spaces fill up.

ABOUT SPERRY TOP-SIDER CHARLESTON RACE WEEK
2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week is an event of South Carolina Maritime Foundation and Charleston Ocean Racing Association. All profits from the event support educational programs aboard the Spirit of South Carolina, a classic tall ship serving South Carolina's youth. 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week is sponsored by Sperry Top-Sider, Gosling's Rum, vineyard vines, Gill, North Sails, Newport Shipyard, Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina, OnDeck, Azalea Moving & Storage, Charleston Yachting, Pierside Boatworks, Photoboat.com and Rising High Cafι.

ABOUT SPERRY TOP-SIDER
Since 1935, Sperry Top-Sider has been the leading brand of footwear for those with a Passion for the Sea. From its introduction of the World's first siped rubber outsole for non-marking traction to advanced technical fabrication to combat the elements, Sperry Top-Sider remains at the vanguard of high-performance amphibious footwear. Available around the globe in independent, marine, outdoor and department stores, Sperry Top-Sider is the official footwear of the Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Regattas, US SAILING, the US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics, and the National Safe Boating Council.

Based in historic Lexington, Massachusetts, Sperry Top-Sider supports a wide range of ocean-related activities through its many sponsorships, including Key West Race Week, the New York Yacht Club's Invitational Cup, the Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week and the Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Regattas. Sperry Top-Sider was also recently recognized for its recent brand transformation by industry trade magazine Footwear News by being named 2009 "Brand of the Year." Sperry Top-Sider is a division of the Collective Brands Performance and Lifestyle Group, a subsidiary of Collective Brands, Inc. (NYSE: PSS). For more information, please visit www.sperrytopsider.com or www.passionforthesea.com, or email beverly.antunes@sperrytopsider.com.

ABOUT NEWPORT SHIPYARD
Newport Shipyard (RI) welcomes sailors from all over the world with a hefty dose of southern hospitality. Newport Shipyard is the epicenter for the sailing community in New England, all the while doing serious work on yachts up to 300 feet. It serves as home base to the Volvo Ocean Race's PUMA, and is sponsor of upcoming regattas such as the 1930's J-Class Regatta, the Transatlantic Race, the Newport/St.Barts Bucket, and Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week. Charleston and Newport have long been sister cities with many ties. Newport Shipyard happily continues this tradition in welcoming a number of Charleston boats as they come through, including a regular, the Spirit of South Carolina. www.newportshipyard.com/indexCRW2011.asp

ABOUT GILL NORTH AMERICA
Gill North America and its 2011 Charleston Race Week retail partner Coral Reef Sailing Apparel (CRSA) have partnered again with Charleston Race Week in support of the South Carolina Maritime Foundation. Gill is world renown for carrying the most-innovative and highest-performing sailing gear. CRSA will have a special collection on hand during CRW; please contact CRSA for special colors or sizes. To preorder customized technical event apparel for your crew, contact CRSA at info@coralreefsailing.net, or visit the online store here: http://coralreefsail...ston_race_week1.

Gill North America is the North American importer and distributor of Gill Brand weather gear and technical marine apparel. Gill is a very rare thing these days. A brand that only does one thing: we make an ultra-technical range of marine clothing for the dinghy racing enthusiast to full on ocean circumnavigation gear. Customers also use our products for power boating and sport fishing.

ABOUT ONDECK AMERICA
Ondeck's newest base in Charleston offers a wealth of sailing opportunities in the wonderful waters of South Carolina. From its beginning, OnDeck Charleston's core business, training, has schooled many sailors, and is one of the nation's few sea schools to offer specialized, class-specific, high-performance race training. The quality of OnDeck's curriculum, instructors and methodology has been lauded by its clients and recognized by the industry as exceptional.

OnDeck Charleston offers adults and teens over age 16 a full range of U.S. Sailing Certification Courses from Basic Keelboat through Ocean Passage Making, and the Charleston base includes a wide range of charter yachts for corporate, bareboat, skippered, and race charter clients. Check out http://www.ondeckoce...eston/index.htm for more information.

ABOUT CHARLESTON YACHTING
Do you need a place to store your trailerable boat for Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week? There's no better place than next to Charleston Yachting, Charleston's best when it comes to rigging and outfitting your boat for Charleston Race Week. Charleston Yachting has teamed with up Fast Tack Marine for a complete concierge service. The duo can take care of any repairs, modifications, even delivering your boat race ready to the resort. The storage is free and the location is fenced in and locked at night but you must be responsible for your boat and equipment. Contact Charleston Yachting to arrange for storage; space is limited. Charleston Yachting can be reached at 1-800-610-9065 or info@charlestonyachting.com. We look forward to seeing you at 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week!

Check out the event site at http://www.charlestonraceweek.com for more information, including Notice of Race, Sailing Instructions, Entry List, Media Information, Logistical Support, Available Charters, News, Video and Photos, and become a fan of the Charleston Race Week Facebook page here: http://www.facebook....rlestonRaceWeek

# # #

If you'd like more information about 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week, or to schedule an interview with one of the event staff, please call the South Carolina Maritime Foundation at 843/722.1030, or send an e-mail to dhavens@scmaritime.org.

<a href="http://www.charlesto...onraceweek.com/

#81 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

'Entries received after March 8, 2011 will be considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the organizing authority.'

As opposed to "first come - first serve", or "next on the waiting list" ?

You may want to re-think that line.

#82 Yard Dog

Yard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

'Entries received after March 8, 2011 will be considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the organizing authority.'

As opposed to "first come - first serve", or "next on the waiting list" ?

You may want to re-think that line.

Naw, it's the new normal. CRW doesn't have Peter Craig so they had to find another way to piss off racers and kill their regatta.

#83 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

240+ Check it out... http://yachtscoring....eet.cfm?eID=407

#84 katie burns

katie burns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the prelim scratch sheet! It was difficult to work it out myself with so many entries

#85 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the prelim scratch sheet! It was difficult to work it out myself with so many entries

No problemo

#86 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

So lets talk about this "dynamite hole channel" shortcut... Whats the depth there? Whats on the bottom? Current? Its been put out there that unless you're local its foolish to try to make it through... thoughts?

#87 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:58 AM

Can you make it through there drawing 9 feet at low tide?

#88 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:39 AM

No problemo

Is there a way you can break down PHRF into splits, or what you think they will be?
There hasn't been any new PHRF entries in days, you should have some idea

#89 glorydaze443

glorydaze443

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

I would like a little info on this dynamite hole shortcut as well, i will be driving someone else's boat and sure don't want to scuff up his nice smooth bottom

#90 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

We might be looking for an experienced chase boat driver. Apply within...

#91 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

Still looking for info on this Dynamite hole thing. where is it, how deep, current?

#92 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

Stop Press:

Clean has requested Porta Potty cabins at the ramp. Last year, 40 sportboats waiting in line for pull out + lots of beer being passed around + no facilities = This exchange

Park ranger to skipper " Hey, this is a public park. You cannot stand behind a tree and urinate"
Skipper : "Sorry about that"

Park Ranger "Jesus Christ......what the hell is he doing?"
Skipper "Looks like he is standing in the middle of the grass area taking a leak"
Crew, calling from afar: "I thought you told us not to stand behind the trees"

= Ticket for the smart arse!

#93 Slap Shot

Slap Shot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Still looking for info on this Dynamite hole thing. where is it, how deep, current?

You can see it on Chart 11523 as well as chart 11524.

I'm guessing the safe route out will be to go to G21 then SSW to G20, I don't think I would want to try and cut the corner too close. Looks pretty narrow and should prove to be interesting getting through with a decent breeze, ripping current and 40-50 boats at the same time. Taking 2 miles off each way is definitely nice.

#94 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

I'm guessing the safe route out will be to go to G21 then SSW to G20, I don't think I would want to try and cut the corner too close. Looks pretty narrow and should prove to be interesting getting through with a decent breeze, ripping current and 40-50 boats at the same time. Taking 2 miles off each way is definitely nice.

Thanks a bunch. Looks pretty skinny but doable. The cut itself looks ok, what about the shallow stuff once you're out in the ocean. Those troughs could be a problem with only 8 feet of water

#95 SC Finnster

SC Finnster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thanks a bunch. Looks pretty skinny but doable. The cut itself looks ok, what about the shallow stuff once you're out in the ocean. Those troughs could be a problem with only 8 feet of water

Kack,

If you draw 9', as previously mentioned, I would not think of going through Dynamite Hole. There are plenty of 6-9 foot areas shown on the chart and the bottom moves around pretty quickly. I have definitely seen 5's in the center of that compass rose while catching bait, particularly in the troughs.

If you do go through then make sure to come in from far enough south of the jetties. A 23' Regulator was rolled and destroyed a couple of years ago when the current pulled it onto the sandbar just outside Dynamite Hole. If he did not have enough power to get out of a bad situation, a sailboat surely will not.

#96 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

interesting....

#97 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

Here you go.... http://www.charts.no...wer/11523.shtml

Take a look into hanging a right after G21. Really need to be careful shooting through...

#98 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

2011 SPERRY TOP-SIDER CHARLESTON RACE WEEK

VIDEO ADVISORY

WHAT: Charleston Chews: Faces of Charleston Race Week presented by Gill, EPISODE 1
WHO: Amy Ironmonger, 2008 Melges 24 North American Champion
WHEN: Now, via Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week's YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.c...u/0/G8i2hbOsDPs

DETAILS: 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week wants to introduce the people that make the South's premier regatta such a memorable experience. Charleston Chews presented by Gill is a series of short Q&A videos with the competitors, organizers and sponsors of the event.

NEXT WEEK: Ryan Hamm, Former J-24 Regioinal Champion, Former Melges 24 District Champion, Founding Committee Member of CRW, Past Melges 24 Worlds Competitor, Past Sunfish Worlds Competitor, Past Commodore of CORA and ChYC, Past US Olympic Committee Volunteer Coach of the Year

Charleston Chews, Episode 1: Amy Ironmonger

If you'd like more info about 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week, or to schedule an interview with one of the event staff, please call South Carolina Maritime Foundation at 843.722.1030 or send an email to info@charlestonraceweek.com.

#99 glorydaze443

glorydaze443

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Class splits are up for PHRF, just wondering why the J30 is in E and the S2 9.1 is in D

#100 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Class splits are up for PHRF, just wondering why the J30 is in E and the S2 9.1 is in D

Save the splitting hairs, discussions and comments for a while...

Keep in mind that they work with the data in real time/live so they may still be working on all the splits. With over a month to go, I doubt that they are anywhere near being done with the splits. Boats are still being moved around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users