• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#101 glorydaze443

glorydaze443

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

Wasn't trying to be bitchy, just curios. I was at CRW 2 years ago and thought it was the best run regatta I have ever been to

#102 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

Wasn't trying to be bitchy, just curios. I was at CRW 2 years ago and thought it was the best run regatta I have ever been to

No worries... Certainly understand your question and was just clarifying. Didn't want the "class splits pissing match" to get started before they are even done putting it together.

Know what I mean? :-)

#103 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

bump

Just curious why they completely fucked up Class D with that rating spread 99-171.
It must be a mistake??

#104 CeeBlo

CeeBlo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

bump

Just curious why they completely fucked up Class D with that rating spread 99-171.
It must be a mistake??

What difference does it make? Mighty Puffin will have your dick knocked into the sand after the first day.

#105 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

bump

It must be a mistake??

What difference does it make? Mighty Puffin will have your dick knocked into the sand after the first day.

Yeah like the last time i raced him
He has to first beat Forsail before he beats me.
Any other hopefuls there for you to bet against me

#106 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Not this crap again. Get over yourselves.

What hotels are still available?

#107 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

I have been nothing but positive on this thread, Which is a stretch for me.
All I did was ask an curious question to the race organizers, because I know they read this, and what I get is so douche bag, making some smart ass comment.
Not trying to turn this into a shit fight.

#108 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

I have been nothing but positive on this thread, Which is a stretch for me.
All I did was ask an curious question to the race organizers, because I know they read this, and what I get is so douche bag, making some smart ass comment.
Not trying to turn this into a shit fight.

But you will if you have to!

#109 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

35 days and a wake up!

Sail safe!

Attached Files

#110 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

Bump. Are we there yet?

#111 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

Bump. Are we there yet?

TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY ONE ENTRIES.

Amazing!

This is getting to be one HUGE regatta. Spoke to Danny on cell phone when on my way to dropping off my boat when passing on way back from the Bacardi in Miami. Super helpful. They are flat out preparing for our arrival.
Word to the wise....lots of good people doing lots of good preparation are not going to think of everything. This type of increase in numbers is bound to discover a couple fo glitches that nobody has thought of. Lets not forget to celebrate the good things that keeps bringing us back and help the organizers figure out how to handle this growth.

#112 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:50 AM

One glitch seems to be a minimum boat length of 24 feet in phrf which rules out the shaw 650 from racing.

Its a bit frustrating when od classes even shorter can sail and the shaw is proven to sail at T750 pace (hell last weekend a new 650 in perth was 3% quicker on line in her first regatta) so it can't be speed. Just enforcement of a number.

Best of luck to all other competitors. Let's hope by 2012 we have enough 650s to make an od class then.

#113 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

Def something to think about. Is the Shaw that fast in ocean chop? The shorter OD classes are racing inside. The Shaw would be out playing with the big guys.

Edit: What's your beef? The Shaw is registered

#114 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Organisers have recently advised the owner that, after registering months ago, the manic cannot race because it is too short.

I believe the track record of racing in 30+ knots in australia, auckland, wellington would answer safety issues but apparently it is a length measure that matters.

Racetrack data proves the manic sails similar speeds to a T750 so it shouldn't be a speed issue.

#115 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

One glitch seems to be a minimum boat length of 24 feet in phrf which rules out the shaw 650 from racing.

Its a bit frustrating when od classes even shorter can sail

As Kack points out, the ODs race inside....where there is a cut off of 20'.
Hope they make an exception but whereever they draw a line, there is going to be a class immediately under that line.

#116 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:49 AM

Its a bit frustrating when od classes even shorter can sail

As Kack points out, the ODs race inside....where there is a cut off of 20'.
Hope they make an exception but whereever they draw a line, there is going to be a class immediately under that line.

They should just have Alex race with you guys in the Vipers..............

#117 Miles Beyond

Miles Beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

Is it just me, my browser, firewall, cookie/pop-up blocker, or are there really no results posted?

#118 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Still waiting on the results myself, probably be up around April 15th.

#119 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Is it just me, my browser, firewall, cookie/pop-up blocker, or are there really no results posted?

Would it be okay if we actually went out and raced before they posted results? Or perhaps we should just skip all that and go straight to the party.

#120 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Would it be okay if we actually went out and raced before they posted results? Or perhaps we should just skip all that and go straight to the party.

It would save a lot on gasoline and time driving the boat down there. Jackie says we should just draw numbers.

#121 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Organisers have recently advised the owner that, after registering months ago, the manic cannot race because it is too short.

I believe the track record of racing in 30+ knots in australia, auckland, wellington would answer safety issues but apparently it is a length measure that matters.

Racetrack data proves the manic sails similar speeds to a T750 so it shouldn't be a speed issue.

Let me look into it.

#122 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

Whoop, think I just scored a ride.

#123 katie burns

katie burns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

I won the party.

#124 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

Did you see this one last weekend?? Another one is coming up soon - super top secret guest star.........

VIDEO ADVISORY

CHARLESTON, SC (12 MARCH 2011) - Check out this Charleston local with multiple championships under his belt, Ryan Hamm, in our second video edition of Charleston Chews! Ryan is a Charleston Race Week Co-Founder and a Past US Olympic Committee Volunteer Coach of the Year. He's also won multiple ping pong championships and provides a great interview in the second of our weekly video series airing on CRW's YouTube channel. Click on the link below to watch!

WHAT
: Charleston Chews: Faces of Charleston Race Week presented by Gill, EPISODE 2
WHO: Ryan Hamm, Charleston Race Week Co-Founder with Multiple Championship Titles
WHEN: Now, via Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week's YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.c...u/0/25tqfAFAJp0 <br style=""> <br style="">

Posted Image

Charleston Chews presented by Gill
Episode 2: Ryan Hamm

DETAILS: 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week wants to introduce the people that make the South's premier regatta such a memorable experience. Charleston Chews presented by Gill is a series of short Q&A videos with the competitors, organizers and sponsors of the event.

NEXT WEEK: A SURPRISE GUEST STAR!! We don't want to spoil the surprise, so tune in next week for another great episode of Charleston Chews, presented by Gill!

If you'd like more information about 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week, or to schedule an interview with one of the event staff, please call South Carolina Maritime Foundation at 843/722.1030, or send an e-mail to info@charlestonraceweek.com.

#125 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:25 AM

I won the party.

I'll be there in force on Th, Fr. Monday brings the Boston Marathon.

#126 2011 CRW

2011 CRW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/i5eMG1BiJbQ Check it out! Brad Van Liew in our third edition of Charleston Chews!

2011 SPERRY TOP-SIDER CHARLESTON RACE WEEK

VIDEO ADVISORY BRAD VAN LIEW

CHARLESTON, SC (20 MARCH 2011) - Charleston Chews Episode 3: Around the World In A Lot More Than 80 Days

Brad Van Liew is well known to Charlestonians as well as pretty much any fan of sailboat racing throughout the world. The Mt. Pleasant based professional sailor has led every single leg of the 2010-11 Velux 5 Oceans Race in his ultra high-performance ECO 60 racing yacht Le Pingouin, and when he completes this "Ultimate Solo Challenge" he will be the first American to race three times around the world. Van Liew raced in the 1998 and 2002 versions of this historic race, winning his division the second time, but has never won the event overall.

Brad took some time out of his busy schedule preparing the boat for the penultimate leg of the race from Uruguay to Charleston to speak to Charleston Chews about the growth of Charleston Race Week, for which both he and wife Meaghan deserve a great deal of credit. Brad was CRW's Event Director for nearly five years, and was instrumental in its transformation from a regional springtime event to an international powerhouse in sailboat regattas.

We wish Brad the best of luck on the remainder of the race as he cements his position as the most successful solo ocean racer in US history.

WHAT: Charleston Chews: Faces of Charleston Race Week presented by Gill, EPISODE 3
WHO: Brad Van Liew, Sailing Celebrity, aka The Silver Fox
WHEN: Now, via Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week's YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.c...u/0/i5eMG1BiJbQ

Posted Image

Charleston Chews presented by Gill
Episode 3: Brad Van Liew

DETAILS: 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week wants to introduce the people that make the South's premier regatta such a memorable experience. Charleston Chews presented by Gill is a series of short Q&A videos with the competitors, organizers and sponsors of the event.

NEXT WEEK: ANOTHER SURPRISE GUEST STAR!! We don't want to spoil the surprise, so tune in next week for another great episode of Charleston Chews, presented by Gill!

#127 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

I won the party.

Found you asleep on my tailgste sgsin. Gotta stop doing that....

#128 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

Pretty dam cool vid of Brad Van Liew.

His advice at the end is pretty cool. Watch out, the women are really hot and don't drive drunk, the cops know where we party. Thanks Brad...

#129 Miles Beyond

Miles Beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

D'oh! I thought it was March 14-17, now realize it's April 14-17.

#130 Lewdicrous Speed

Lewdicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

So where the fuck is Inshore Circle 0 going to be since it's now on the scratch sheet?

#131 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Cityfront. tucked up under the battery and East of the island.

#132 Lewdicrous Speed

Lewdicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:31 PM

So off South Battery and not off CYC?

Has a RC fit a fleet of 40+ keelboats in there before?

#133 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

Hope for high tide...........

#134 Lewdicrous Speed

Lewdicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

And the wind is gonna be hurting that far up the river. Oh well if it sucks for our boat it'll suck for the rest of the fleet.

#135 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hope for high tide...........

Its designed around racing at low tide. Tide flushes boats out in morn and in, in the afternoon.

#136 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

And the wind is gonna be hurting that far up the river. Oh well if it sucks for our boat it'll suck for the rest of the fleet.

Wind howls in there every day. 11:00 is 8 knots, 3:00 is 15 knots, pretty much every day.

#137 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

20 days and a wake up. Got my tent pass today, are we there yet?

Untie the boat!
and,
Sail safe!

#138 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Wind howls in there every day. 11:00 is 8 knots, 3:00 is 15 knots, pretty much every day.

8 kts is twice the speed of the current in there. That is the first place I ever sailed backwards with a chute up...

#139 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

8 kts is twice the speed of the current in there. That is the first place I ever sailed backwards with a chute up...

the current's strong, but 4kts...that's a bit of a stretch. and don't forget midday slack tides, which will help level the playing field somewhat.

i'm out there on mon and thur afternoons and i can assue you the cbreeze has no problem filling to the battery, or gdamn n. chs for that matter.

#140 NaptownChick

NaptownChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

I hear ya JI, the seabreeze has become very reliable within the last two weeks or so. (My porch so much less comfortable with 25kt winds whipping past it)

The third circle location will be fine, no more or less breeze or current than the rest of the harbor really. Im not a local, so no rose tinted glasses either, but hell 3rd circle will be the closest to the rum!

#141 Lewdicrous Speed

Lewdicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Looks like the breeze has been struggling to get over 15, but 15's cool... more concerned about consistency of the wind up there than the average pressure.
If we gotta go all the way around battery point channel marker, it being low tide and all, the third circle isn't very close to the rum...

Not trying to poo poo the course, just haven't sailed there much, appreciate the locals dropping info

there for the party anyway...

#142 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:11 AM

I am officially in...hopefully my shoulder surger(ies) are up to the task.
See you bitches there.

#143 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

13 days and a wake up.

Get out the boat !
Sail Safe.

#144 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

13 days and a wake up.

Get out the boat !
Sail Safe.

I got the combo to the house yesterday. It's located at 126... yeh right. Near CofC, downtown and the boat.

#145 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Looks like the breeze has been struggling to get over 15, but 15's cool... more concerned about consistency of the wind up there than the average pressure.
If we gotta go all the way around battery point channel marker, it being low tide and all, the third circle isn't very close to the rum...

Not trying to poo poo the course, just haven't sailed there much, appreciate the locals dropping info

In J/22s and 24s you won't have to go around any channel markers...

Been a cool week down there so my friends say - hopefully we'll have 75-80 degree days to kick the sea breeze off properly on the 14th-17th.

Full live video streaming is a go!

#146 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

In J/22s and 24s you won't have to go around any channel markers...

Been a cool week down there so my friends say - hopefully we'll have 75-80 degree days to kick the sea breeze off properly on the 14th-17th.

Full live video streaming is a go!

Nice to hear... see you in two weeks

#147 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:06 PM

word up K.

#148 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:44 PM

Truck's getting tires this week, ready to hit the road. Think WARM.

#149 Cheap Beer

Cheap Beer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

Anything better than 45 degrees and rain is warm for me.

#150 Gription

Gription

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

anyone have a link or rudimentary map like the one attached indicating the location of the courses?

Relative Course Location

#151 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

Course 0 is between the "N" in Charleston/52 and the Island right off of the city's water front. Course 1 & 2 are bascially where it reads Charleston Harbor in an area called "Middle Ground" on the NOAA charts.

#152 Lewdicrous Speed

Lewdicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

Uh I hate to post again, but I got confused by Clean's "under" and "east of the island"(what Island - James?) and conflicting descriptions. I guess the easiest way to ask is are we in the Ashley under South Battery(in sight of the Coast Guard Station), or are we in the Cooper East of the Battery and CYC and west of Pickney Island (where the M20s/Vipers were last year)? The channel mark for the point off battery is what divides the two, and what I was asking about when I was assuming from Clean's post we were south of the battery in the Ashley...

#153 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

took the m24 out on saturday afternoon. flood tide in a 20kt+ w'ly meant longer than normal dw runs w/ some sporty chop. hard to beat chs in april.

#154 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

Uh I hate to post again, but I got confused by Clean's "under" and "east of the island"(what Island - James?) and conflicting descriptions. I guess the easiest way to ask is are we in the Ashley under South Battery(in sight of the Coast Guard Station), or are we in the Cooper East of the Battery and CYC and west of Pickney Island (where the M20s/Vipers were last year)? The channel mark for the point off battery is what divides the two, and what I was asking about when I was assuming from Clean's post we were south of the battery in the Ashley...

I'll see if Danny will post an estimated course map. My understanding is that the course in a typical SE'ly would be a start very close to the Carolina YC (just like the Wednesday night course) and top mark not far from James Island YC. Downwind will take you out very close to the battery (watch the rock pile!) or Castle Pinckney depending on which side you need to bang. Watching the tide lines will be muy importante...

In a N'ly or NW'ly, all bets are off!

#155 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Uh I hate to post again, but I got confused by Clean's "under" and "east of the island"(what Island - James?) and conflicting descriptions. I guess the easiest way to ask is are we; J22 and J24?

in the Ashley under South Battery(in sight of the Coast Guard Station), Yes, close.

or are we in the Cooper East of the Battery and CYC and west of Pickney Island (where the M20s/Vipers were last year)? No. that is how I understand

The channel mark for the point off battery is what divides the two, and what I was asking about when I was assuming from Clean's post we were south of the battery in the Ashley...

#156 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Let me emphasize that this is IN NO WAY official, it's just my scribble of a recollection of a discussion with race officials, and is pretty close to what we'll see. E'ly course is M20/M32, middle is Viper/J80/Ultimate, W'ly is J/24/22

Attached Files

#157 Lewdicrous Speed

Lewdicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

Alright thanks for the info! First round at the tent is on me

#158 eastcoaster

eastcoaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Clean hate to be a dick and correct you dude, but you mean M20/M24 on the outermost inside circle right?

#159 Bash24

Bash24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

Let me emphasize that this is IN NO WAY official, it's just my scribble of a recollection of a discussion with race officials, and is pretty close to what we'll see. E'ly course is M20/M32, middle is Viper/J80/Ultimate, W'ly is J/24/22

That makes me feel better. I have raced in that area before, it is fine. I was a little worried the circle would be further north and they'd be cramming the course between Pickney and the town. Bring on the Dark & Stormies!

#160 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

it's funny that "south of broad" is decidedly north of broad in the map.

#161 jewing

jewing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:If you're on this site, probably not that much different than yours

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

it's funny that "south of broad" is decidedly north of broad in the map.

...and Harleston Village is somewhere north of the auditorium, and the new French Quarter looks a lot like Union Pier...

#162 Gription

Gription

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

This is great, thanks

#163 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

Clean hate to be a dick and correct you dude, but you mean M20/M24 on the outermost inside circle right?

yep. d'oh!

#164 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

That makes me feel better. I have raced in that area before, it is fine. I was a little worried the circle would be further north and they'd be cramming the course between Pickney and the town. Bring on the Dark & Stormies!

No worries brother. If we do have a Westerly - which happens once every few years - I think that the top mark for Course 0 would indeed get up into the river a bit more and you'd start to see people really working close to the James Island shore on the beat in an ebb for current relief. Personally I can assure you that the bottom is VERY soft over there :)

#165 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

Remember: If you don't go to the Tides/Currents seminar given by local coach and M24 pro Michael Miller of Pinnacle Sailing you will not stand a chance on the inshore courses. You don't need 10 years of harbor experience to win, but if you violate a few basic rules you WILL lose. Miller will teach you those rules in a standing-room only seminar - get there early and sit up front. And donate to Pinnacle if you appreciate their 5 years of hard work doing these seminars!

#166 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

I need a boat!

#167 Glitter In The Eye

Glitter In The Eye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Remember: If you don't go to the Tides/Currents seminar given by local coach and M24 pro Michael Miller of Pinnacle Sailing you will not stand a chance on the inshore courses. You don't need 10 years of harbor experience to win, but if you violate a few basic rules you WILL lose. Miller will teach you those rules in a standing-room only seminar - get there early and sit up front. And donate to Pinnacle if you appreciate their 5 years of hard work doing these seminars!

this year will show why you cant have this many boats in that harbor and or river. sometimes regattas are beter when they are limited on entries becasue of space. I hope the best for everyone and wish them a good time but I cant wait to hear about the lack of passing lanes and the sailboat race that turned into a current race....and I have more starts there than most people.

#168 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

this year will show why you cant have this many boats in that harbor and or river. sometimes regattas are beter when they are limited on entries becasue of space. I hope the best for everyone and wish them a good time but I cant wait to hear about the lack of passing lanes and the sailboat race that turned into a current race....and I have more starts there than most people.

Charleston is always a current race, and everyone knows it. That's what happens when you have 2-3 knots over much of the course for 3/4 of the day. Hell, San Francisco is a current race too, yet it is also has the biggest and healthiest fleets in the country. The vast majority of racers don't care. They want good breeze, good weather, good parties, and fun racing, which they know they will get in Charleston. I have talked to about a dozen people already who've already said how much they enjoy the 'traffic management' part of CRW. It's just more interesting for the majority than the pure tactical game that is a perfectly square, currentless course. Hell - even the Extreme 40 and America's Cup are now about inshore risk management, starts, and fleet traffic strategy far more than about boat speed or first-beat tactics. And I think the reason that it resonates so well is that an unfair course actually gives the average Joe the chance to knock one out of the park with a ballsy pin-end move or lucky hole shot at the boat.

Every bit of research done over the past decade and the undeniably shrinking nature of events that go miles offshore to find current and traffic-free conditions indicates than only the top 5 or 10% cares about perfect courses and no traffic. Every successful class or event will tell you to 'beware the vocal minority' or the top 5% when figuring out how to run yours.

I am confident that CORA and SC Maritime will adjust for 2012 if it proves to be unsafe or unpleasant to race that many boats inside the harbor for the majority of the teams. They will undoubtedly need to adjust one way or another, since the event shows no signs of slowing down, and 300 next year is almost guaranteed if they keep an open registration. I don't know what the best way to build a quota system or limit system is, or (as I've advocated) some of the classes would be willing to do some near offshore stuff on the Dynamite Hole circle as well as inshore, which could get 30-50 boats out of the harbor on any given day. Much will depend on how easy the commute is and how good the conditions are in that new (near) offshore circle, just as much of the traffic management stuff inshore will depend on the wind direction. The most frequent comment last year with the big inshore fleets was "It really didn't seem like that many boats." I attribute that to very good race management who timed their rolling starts/finishes well and got in a lot of races very quickly.

#169 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

Charleston is always a current race, and everyone knows it. That's what happens when you have 2-3 knots over much of the course for 3/4 of the day. Hell, San Francisco is a current race too, yet it is also has the biggest and healthiest fleets in the country. The vast majority of racers don't care. They want good breeze, good weather, good parties, and fun racing, which they know they will get in Charleston. I have talked to about a dozen people already who've already said how much they enjoy the 'traffic management' part of CRW. It's just more interesting for the majority than the pure tactical game that is a perfectly square, currentless course. Hell - even the Extreme 40 and America's Cup are now about inshore risk management, starts, and fleet traffic strategy far more than about boat speed or first-beat tactics. And I think the reason that it resonates so well is that an unfair course actually gives the average Joe the chance to knock one out of the park with a ballsy pin-end move or lucky hole shot at the boat.

Every bit of research done over the past decade and the undeniably shrinking nature of events that go miles offshore to find current and traffic-free conditions indicates than only the top 5 or 10% cares about perfect courses and no traffic. Every successful class or event will tell you to 'beware the vocal minority' or the top 5% when figuring out how to run yours.

I am confident that CORA and SC Maritime will adjust for 2012 if it proves to be unsafe or unpleasant to race that many boats inside the harbor for the majority of the teams. They will undoubtedly need to adjust one way or another, since the event shows no signs of slowing down, and 300 next year is almost guaranteed if they keep an open registration. I don't know what the best way to build a quota system or limit system is, or (as I've advocated) some of the classes would be willing to do some near offshore stuff on the Dynamite Hole circle as well as inshore, which could get 30-50 boats out of the harbor on any given day. Much will depend on how easy the commute is and how good the conditions are in that new (near) offshore circle, just as much of the traffic management stuff inshore will depend on the wind direction. The most frequent comment last year with the big inshore fleets was "It really didn't seem like that many boats." I attribute that to very good race management who timed their rolling starts/finishes well and got in a lot of races very quickly.

I would trade racing in the current to avoid the hour long trip outside AND the early start. If we were inside last year this may not have happened. So quit yer bitchin'

Attached Files

#170 Viper55

Viper55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

I would trade racing in the current to avoid the hour long trip outside AND the early start. If we were inside last year this may not have happened. So quit yer bitchin'

I think I'm more worried about the line to the Dark-n-Stormies....Hope the organizers have built some more Tiki Bars.

#171 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

seriously... wtf are you on that you think sailing outside caused the loss of a rig?

#172 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

Are we there yet?

[b]LETs GO ![/b]

#173 NaptownChick

NaptownChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hey crowd! I just got somewhat shafted off a boat yesterday (seems they'd rather sail with an overweight newb)

So anyone who has room for a kickass Laser Radial-sized sailor chick, PM me! Im already in Chas, so no need for transportation.

#174 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

We need some crew. Bit different than racing tho.

#175 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

By the way, we wanted to make sure y'all knew that we've got the full OTWA program rolling for Charleston. We'll mostly be inshore, but we'll be rotating from circle to circle with live video, near real-time photos, and daily writeups, slide shows, facebook pic postings and tags, and nightly HD video highlight reels.

Big thanks to Official OTWA Apparel Provider GILL, who will have all kinds of contests if you 'like' them on FB, OTWA Title Sponsor Charleston Race Week, and OTWA Official Logistics Provider Latis Yachting Solutions who transports much of the traveling fleet to town.

Look for FP announcement tonight.

#176 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Oops: Just got an email and we're very happy to welcome J/Boats to our coverage of Race Week!

#177 chaosmaster

chaosmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

Just soz ya knowz...

The Avatar (Mrs. Chaos) will be there kicking ass! All you fucking horn dogs would do well to steer clear as you can't handle her!

Cheers,

Chaos

#178 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Clean - I don't often say this, but +1!

See you there. I am in...I'll be on the outside so this doesn't really apply, but I did have fun inshore a few years back! B)

#179 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

BTW...just got word that the inaugural Charleston Kite Week Invitational kiteboarding regatta is happening a couple weeks after CRW. Hopefully they can be merged next year so the party at Patriot's can be even bigger and younger!

#180 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:03 AM

So, the wife and I are packing the kids up next Friday for a Spring Break driving trip to Orlando. She picks our stops out and we will be in Charleston Saturday night the 16th. She has no idea.......

#181 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:11 AM

So, the wife and I are packing the kids up next Friday for a Spring Break driving trip to Orlando. She picks our stops out and we will be in Charleston Saturday night the 16th. She has no idea.......

Nice!
You may never make it to Orlando, if you are lucky

#182 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

Nice!

One can only hope.

#183 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

Nice!

One can only hope.

Mr. Bus Driver, I promise to behave around your wife & kids. Hope to see you.

#184 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

Nice!

One can only hope.

Mr. Bus Driver, I promise to behave around your wife & kids. Hope to see you.

That'd be terrific. As for behaving - you can, not sure I will.

#185 Knee Deep-N-Cider

Knee Deep-N-Cider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:17 AM

BTW...just got word that the inaugural Charleston Kite Week Invitational kiteboarding regatta is happening a couple weeks after CRW. Hopefully they can be merged next year so the party at Patriot's can be even bigger and younger!

I would rather have it combined with Charleston Fashion Week so we can get some coked up models to attend.

#186 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

I would rather have it combined with Charleston Fashion Week so we can get some coked up models to attend.

You'll have to settle for Clean and weed.

#187 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

PHRF splits are a bit different this morning. Looks like they found a home for the J105s and trashed the IRC class.

#188 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

PHRF splits are a bit different this morning. Looks like they found a home for the J105s and trashed the IRC class.

oh that's just great !!

#189 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Bump, 3 days

#190 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:35 AM

Two wake ups, a haircut, some dental work, a check up with my ortho about my shoudler, a pizza lunch at work, a trip the recycling center to dump off the empties, and I gotta mow the lawn and I am there! :lol:

#191 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

damn bitches, I really hope you don't plan all facets of your life like that...

#192 Cheap Beer

Cheap Beer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

Am I stupid, but where's the fleet splits? I'm tired of looking.

#193 Bort

Bort

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

Am I stupid, but where's the fleet splits? I'm tired of looking.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=407

#194 Viper640.org

Viper640.org

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Racing Vipers against old and new friends in interesting and fun locations. Sailing fast.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

Anyone driving north, who could pick up a Viper and tow it to C-Town? PM me!

#195 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Two wake ups, a haircut, some dental work, a check up with my ortho about my shoudler, a pizza lunch at work, a trip the recycling center to dump off the empties, and I gotta mow the lawn and I am there! :lol:

I'll see that and raise you, wake up, work 12 hours yesterday, put new tires on tow rig, pick up spare car, eat dinner at 10pm, 12 hours more today, haircut, pick up chase boat, pack, load everything, fuel up, change rear gear oil in truck, work 8 hours tomorrow, get in truck and drive 8 hours towing. Splash chase boat, go to sleep. Wake up in Charleston :) Can't wait.

#196 Gription

Gription

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

is there going to be a thread posted to the OTW forum? Some friends want to follow the action.

#197 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

is there going to be a thread posted to the OTW forum? Some friends want to follow the action.

this...

#198 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

I'll see that and raise you, wake up, work 12 hours yesterday, put new tires on tow rig, pick up spare car, eat dinner at 10pm, 12 hours more today, haircut, pick up chase boat, pack, load everything, fuel up, change rear gear oil in truck, work 8 hours tomorrow, get in truck and drive 8 hours towing. Splash chase boat, go to sleep. Wake up in Charleston :) Can't wait.

All right you got me there. :rolleyes: :blink: - Papa Punch left the boat in Chucktown, so we just gotta ride down in the tow rig (empty) - I get the jump seat with all the sails. :lol:

Can't wait to get out from under this mid-Atlantic wash & spin cycle with the big fucking red "L" over top of us for days and days..ugh..where's the fucking sunshine??!?!?!? see you bitches there.

#199 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Anyone have data on the WaterTaxi ?
Where, how often, last ride to town, $$ etc.

No mention on regatta websight.

Thanks in advance.

#200 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

Go and say hello to the boys, they're good dudes and will often make special trips for you if you need.

http://www.charlestonwatertaxi.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users