323 replies to this topic

#301 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

There hasn't been any real hate being thrown around(unless you count the hate towards Espo).
I'm frankly suprised actually knowing how some people on here can really crucify an event.
Charleston this time of year has some volatile, unsettled weather. Too much wind, or too little is the norm in my experience racing there. For me, traveling 1000 miles to race 5 races, doesn't make much sense to me anymore.
It's still one of my favorite events, and we might reconsider going(again) in future years.
The OTWA coverage I thought was horrible. Sorry Clean, but there are other classes down there than M24's. Plus, the thread was unusually silent as well?? No smack talk?
I prefered the old format of OTWA, in with the SA threads. IMHO.
Hopefully the regatta follow up will be worthy.

No worries Squalamax. Bummed that you guys and espo didn't make it down - we needed some more thick NY accents.

I think the last 6 years has spoiled the event organizers a bit, with just 2 days lost to too much wind (including this year), and not a single day lost to no wind (out of 18 days of racing). 2 out of 18 is pretty good for most regattas I can think of...
Still, I am pretty disappointed in the way things were handled this year, and I think Randy and the PROs will take the criticism and be more thoughtful about it next year. My own thoughts:

1) It takes almost no time to get the inshore boats off the water and tied up. Worrying about 'too many boats docking at one time" is silly. In fact, the lesson from this event is that there really does seem to be plenty of room for more boats (though the party sure is getting crowded).

2) If the forecast is for 30 knots at 1 PM, bring the damn boats out an hour earlier. No one minds a 10 AM start when they have to leave the dock at 940 to make it. It's not like those 730 harbor starts like most regattas.

3) Ask a local when calling off racing. Michael Miller told us on camera that the sea breeze would be in yesterday at 1:30. It came in at 1:28. The J/80s, 24s, Vipers, and 22s had already gone in and missed a nice afternoon race.

4) This is something I just spoke about with Stu Johnstone this morning: Set up a 'polling place' for each course to discuss racing in big breeze if there's a chance it could be too much. Most one-class events do this, but in bigger events, the PROs seem more likely to make their own decisions based on their idea of safety or perhaps insurance concerns or worse yet lawyer concerns. But if the rationale - as I truly believe it was at this regatta - is protecting the back half of the fleet from hurting themselves and destroying their boats, perhaps a majority vote should be held to see if they would rather get the experience than be protected. I know I would. If a populist approach would work at any regatta, it's this one. Hell, with the way CRW is plugged in, they could hold a vote via text message...hmmm...

There's always couch PRO'ing and monday morning quarterbacking, but i was out there on Saturday and it was frankly awesome, and we've got hours of video to prove it. It is a damned shame that no one - not even the M24s, J24s, and J/80s which really can handle 20-25 without a problem - got to race in it.

5) we miss an entire day of racing on saturday and sunday's start time is moved up...by a whole 30mins. that was lame, esp since the forecast was calling for a n'ly breeze while it was still chilly yesterday am. if the forecast is calling for a fading n'ly breeze, move the start time up more than 30mins to take advantage. like you said, it takes no time to get out to the course w/ the ebb tide.

#302 SA Lurker

SA Lurker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Also....Espo gets a DNC for race 1? Did Hustler not wind up making the trip down there?

Wasn't worth his time to race those boats.

First, KWRW...now, CRW.

Can it be that there is so little competition worthy of JEspo's involvement?

Perhaps it's time to move out of the vintage boat fleet and play with the Big Boys.

Just sayin'

You foot the bill, I'll sail the boat

If that's the way it's wortking for you now, it's small wonder you haven't moved on.

You're stuck, JEspo. Enjoy the classics.

#303 Viper55

Viper55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

I had a great weekend and will be back each year they have the regatta. First time in 6 race weeks that I've missed a day sailing in this event due to wind. Only problem I have is with the added circle, the Vipers, J80's and U20's were forced to race with the "rock pile" in the middle of our course. Not that bad Friday, but Sunday with light air and big current....it was a menace to deal with. Only complaint.

#304 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

Any news about South circle offshore race 5 results? Somehow Wairere had an extra hour added to our time???

Some sort of reality distortion field... or the damn boats now capable of time travel... finishing both ahead and behind its competitors...

Prepare ship for light speed!!!

No, no, no, light speed is too slow.

Light speed, too slow?

Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed!!!!!!!

#305 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

Out of respect for Clean and the rest of the CRW organizers, I am not going to turn this thread into a shit show responding to you spineless assholes.

When you assholes grow a set of balls and can come out from behind your alias, come talk to me in person at the next event!

My name is Joe Wilson and I'm a local RC volunteer. We hope that you enjoyed the event and will be back next year!! We all wish that the weather had been better for racing but sometimes things just don't work out. Any and all positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are here for you sailors and want the event be a fun and positive experience for all . . .

Joe

Joe,
no serious issues, it was terrific. Some suggestions though:
1) Courses need to be set in plenty of water and well away from some of your odd thin spots. Two of the PHRF sportboats caught some damage after going aground between races. One was a local boat, and neither were a shocking distance from the committee boat and both were well offshore. Or so they thought. Also, in race four the long-course weather mark on that course was set in 10 feet of water according to our tender boat. At least one of the boats on the course needed at least 10 feet in the troughs.
2) Why not 5 days of racing? It's a long way to come for many entrants for three days worth, and with the decline of KWRW, there should be a five-day event generally in that time and region.
3) Word is the bars ran out of ginger beer for awhile Saturday. That's probably the big thing.
4) If they do get blown out a day, most def. bump up start on Sunday to get in three if possible, offshore and inshore.
No issues at all with calling the races on Saturday, it was clearly the right thing to do, and it doesn't seem like something that will happen often there. Well run regatta, great attitudes by everyone from the guys directing parking to the people driving the golf carts and manning the t-shirt stand, they all seemed genuinely glad to have us there....

#306 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

+1 on the Hospitality.

How about a 4 day event next year and, see how that goes.
Sail Safe!

#307 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

I think the organizers intended CRW 2010 to be a four day event........it was overwhelmingly shot down by the entrants.

There's probably two camps on this one. Those like me travleing a good distance to race would like a 4 or 5 day event.

Others, closer/local, don't want to take the extra days off from work, and may have crew issues with the same.

#308 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

I think the organizers intended CRW 2010 to be a four day event........it was overwhelmingly shot down by the entrants.

There's probably two camps on this one. Those like me travleing a good distance to race would like a 4 or 5 day event.

Others, closer/local, don't want to take the extra days off from work, and may have crew issues with the same.

Five days of racing did not prevent similar numbers of people showing up at KWRW...despite the fact that, because of the greater distance for nearly everyone involved, that really meant a commitment of at least 9-11 days.
Either you are a major event and people are willing to committ more time to it than a club weekend or they're not. I suspect the locals dig three days worth because they get a lot of bang for a three day commitment. And no doubt they're got the inside track for lobbying and voting blah blah blah.
I'll buy the notion of trying four. It's better than three and prob a nice, rational, manageable step for the organizers. But three days is neither a "Race Week" nor "the next Key West."
Anway, big thumbs up for the organizers and race committee. Quality of the regatta almost eclipsed the unavoidable problem with the weather. I wouldn't be lobbying for five days if hadn't been such a terrific event in a great city at a great time of year. Bravo.

#309 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:21 AM

Five days of racing did not prevent similar numbers of people showing up at KWRW...despite the fact that, because of the greater distance for nearly everyone involved, that really meant a commitment of at least 9-11 days.
Either you are a major event and people are willing to committ more time to it than a club weekend or they're not. I suspect the locals dig three days worth because they get a lot of bang for a three day commitment. And no doubt they're got the inside track for lobbying and voting blah blah blah.
I'll buy the notion of trying four. It's better than three and prob a nice, rational, manageable step for the organizers. But three days is neither a "Race Week" nor "the next Key West."
Anway, big thumbs up for the organizers and race committee. Quality of the regatta almost eclipsed the unavoidable problem with the weather. I wouldn't be lobbying for five days if hadn't been such a terrific event in a great city at a great time of year. Bravo.

When organizers polled the boat owners in 2009, around 70% of the fleet said 'no' to a four-day event. The fleet was at around 73% visiting boats then.

It is definitely time for another survey methinks. I still think the vast majority will vote for a 3-day event though, but you never know until you ask. RC definitely needs to operate under the mindset that getting in races is paramount, and if that means moving times around significantly or sailing in breeze a bit outside the majority's comfort zone, so be it. I will do my best to see that results are transparent.

#310 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

No Esposito equals DEAD!

DEAD

#311 andromeda sirrah

andromeda sirrah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:32 AM

To Joe and to everyone involved in the event planning, RC, coverage, etc-

You guys did a fantastic job and the hospitality was great- I look forward to next year....

Clean- it was great to see you and Mer out there too! Thanks for being there for the coverage, updates,all the great pictures and the videos (which I still hope you edit :rolleyes: )

It would have been great to have raced all 3 days but overall we got to see good friends, drink great rum, and establish the season's first sailing/farmer tan.... I can think of far worse weekends....which, btw, I came home to 4 inches of snow....

Thank you, all.....see you on the water soon~

Side note: (I think some of you guys need to stop being little tit babies and appreciate the days you have on the water)

#312 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

+1 on the Hospitality.

How about a 4 day event next year and, see how that goes.
Sail Safe!

The last survey I voted for keeping CRW at three days. Now I would vote for a 4 day event. Our crew rented a house right near the CofC campus. We needed more time...

#313 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

Hospitality was great. Bikes made our trip even better. 3 days is about the max I can pull from work and running up and down 95 is all the more interesting when you're in a rush. Great job. See you next yr and thanks to the RC for changing the results and fixing their mistake. thanks also for all of the planners and volunteers that helped out. Great show.

P.S. Think deeper water offshore next yr.

#314 SC Finnster

SC Finnster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hospitality was great. Bikes made our trip even better. 3 days is about the max I can pull from work and running up and down 95 is all the more interesting when you're in a rush. Great job. See you next yr and thanks to the RC for changing the results and fixing their mistake. thanks also for all of the planners and volunteers that helped out. Great show.

Did you give Dynamite Hole a try?

#315 Slap Shot

Slap Shot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

Did you give Dynamite Hole a try?

We did on Sunday.

Friday when we reached the hole, there were no other boats trying it, so we carried on. When we looked back we saw one boat go through. Sunday in the lighter air we gave it a go, took the chute down going through the hole just to slow down some but made it no problem. Lots of water in the hole but on the outside of it is is pretty skinny. On the way back in we had no intention of trying it due to the low tide, but saw a couple of other boats heading that way and thought why not. The Beneteau first 30 hit bottom in front of us so we as well as the others turned away and went back around.

Looking at the chart they/we were probably a little south of the optimum approach, but it is so narrow and I couldn't convince myself to sail closer to the breaking water to the north.

In my opinion they are better off moving the course out to deeper water and just let everyone sail all the way out and around, 99% did anyway.

#316 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

In my opinion they are better off moving the course out to deeper water and just let everyone sail all the way out and around, 99% did anyway.

yep...

#317 sailingjlw66

sailingjlw66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

Out of respect for Clean and the rest of the CRW organizers, I am not going to turn this thread into a shit show responding to you spineless assholes.

When you assholes grow a set of balls and can come out from behind your alias, come talk to me in person at the next event!

My name is Joe Wilson and I'm a local RC volunteer. We hope that you enjoyed the event and will be back next year!! We all wish that the weather had been better for racing but sometimes things just don't work out. Any and all positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are here for you sailors and want the event be a fun and positive experience for all . . .

Joe

Joe,
1) Courses need to be set in plenty of water and well away from some of your odd thin spots. Two of the PHRF sportboats caught some damage after going aground between races. One was a local boat, and neither were a shocking distance from the committee boat and both were well offshore. Or so they thought. Also, in race four the long-course weather mark on that course was set in 10 feet of water according to our tender boat. At least one of the boats on the course needed at least 10 feet in the troughs.
2) Why not 5 days of racing? It's a long way to come for many entrants for three days worth, and with the decline of KWRW, there should be a five-day event generally in that time and region.
3) Word is the bars ran out of ginger beer for awhile Saturday. That's probably the big thing.
4) If they do get blown out a day, most def. bump up start on Sunday to get in three if possible, offshore and inshore.
No issues at all with calling the races on Saturday, it was clearly the right thing to do, and it doesn't seem like something that will happen often there. Well run regatta, great attitudes by everyone from the guys directing parking to the people driving the golf carts and manning the t-shirt stand, they all seemed genuinely glad to have us there....

JayP,

#318 sailingjlw66

sailingjlw66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

Joe

Joe,

JayP,

#319 sailingjlw66

sailingjlw66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:45 AM

Joe

Joe,

JayP,

JayP,

#320 sailingjlw66

sailingjlw66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Joe

Joe,

JayP,

JayP,

#321 sailingjlw66

sailingjlw66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Joe

Joe,

JayP,

JayP,

#322 sailingjlw66

sailingjlw66

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

Joe

Joe,

JayP,

JayP,
Thanks for the input; I will pass it on to the folks that need it.

Joe

#323 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

Piles of vids added to the other thread.

#324 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

Just read the front page and thought I would give some feedback and response.

1. Sunday. Its not the first time we've had a light and changeable day at CRW with current suddenly becoming 75% of the tactical consideration and the remaining 25% being keeping in pressure. Its part of the crazy challenge of CRW that sorts out the broad skill set from the merely fast boats.
Vipers moved along at a reasonable pace even in the light so front page is wrong saying our course got shortened to one lap. We got in a tricky and difficult two lap race which decided the regatta.
Is it as much fun as the usual 15+ sea breeze? Nah. But its sailboat racing and a hellva sight more fun than a boring 6 knot day on the Sound.

2. Saturday. You need to think very carefully about the audience. The Viper revels in the big breeze. An experienced Viper team is hollering and hooting in 25 knots. Would Brad, Piet, Dave, Zimm, myself, Jonathan, Rockhead, Joe etc have lapped up some racing between 9 and noon? You betcha. BUT.......I also acknowledge that part of the big pull of the "Roaring Twenties" line in previous years is that Charleston has been a fun place for the new teams and some of the folks on middle of learning curve to come and play. The inside course at Charleston has gained a reputation for great breeze in a sheltered location and not as a gear buster. On balance, a pretty substantial hard core of the Viper fleet wanted to go racing, but what we liked and respected (a lot) was that the decision was taken firmly and early. (Unlike another regatta on our winter circuit where we sat at the club until 1.00pm in perfectly hootin' sailing breeze before they pulled it ). That meant that at 9.00am we were planning our day......and one big plus about Charleston we discovered it is a cool ass place to have a day off...... in our case we got plastered at a bar at shim creek and then went Kart racing. Brad got several black flags because we totally ignored the no-collision rule. Others went golfing (Chris Snow and Chuck Allen), some did the down town thing with spouses and gfs and some just drank and met the local ladies (Troll etc). We filled four tables at the Wreck that evening and everyone had a good story to tell.
So.....moral of Charleston is......it doesnt suck so bad as other places to miss a day's racing.
Selfishly.....yeah we wanted to sail and if we had got two fast races in before noon we would hav ehad a blast. But none of us are not coming back because of the call. If the fleet had still been out at 1.00pm when the shit hit the fan, then I think you might have had some newcomers decide that CRW was not for them and not come back.
Dont worry about Piet.....Clean missed out the bit about shots of triple neat Vodka that Piet and Clean were drinking beforehand. Piet (or the Vodka) didnt like the press release suggesting that his fleet couldn't handle the big breeze. Pull the racing but dont suggest that the hard core couldn't have handled it. And yes, he thought the button down, collared, plaid shirt embroided with Sailing Anarchy Inc. was fucking mainstream. After attacking Clean with an 5' inflated Goslings bottle I think he felt much better! Best awards party Ive ever been to.

Long story short. We'll be back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users