262 replies to this topic

#1 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Hi,

Has anybody got a clue as to where in the world Swuzzlebubble, a Bruce Farr 1977 Half tonner has gone? One of a batch of 3 boats built for the worlds in NZ and won by a sistership Gunboat Rangiri.
She used to be sailed in Dublin by Robert Dix and Conquered Cowes week one year in the half ton fleet when the decided not to go off to the Worlds in Sweden. She sailed on the ISORA circuit as well with some very respectable results.

I bet I got some of that wrong and you'll all tell me where and what's what!

Check out the new look website for the Half ton Class.
http://www.halftonclass-europe.net/

#2 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

I remember a Mumm 36 named Swuzzlebubble.....but not a half tonner.

#3 lydia

lydia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

There where three.

Gunboat- don't know
Swuzzlebuble - don't know
2269 ended up on tyhe beach at Mornigton as featured here some time ago was wriiten off but rumoured to be the hands of boatbuilder for a rebuild

be great IRC boats btw

#4 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

with the work done

#5 soak_ed

soak_ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

My suspicion is with a name like Swuzzlebubble she is hiding somewhere in shame. :o

#6 Corvo

Corvo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Spelling and grammar

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

There's a Farr 30 half ton named Antipodiste on San Francisco Bay. Build year is listed as 1978.

I can probably track down the owner if you think this may be the one you're looking for.

#7 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,233 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

http://www.farrdesig...esigns_full.htm goto design #65 centrboarder

http://www.farrdesign.com/065.htm GB Rangariri, Swuzzlbubble & Twentytwosixtynine

#8 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

I remember the Kialoa boys explaining a rather large hole in the hull - "we had a collision with Swuzzlebubble and she's still in there somewhere".

Maybe they never found her ...

#9 woudaboy

woudaboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

Not exactly what you are looking for, but listed as a bare aluminum hull sistership to Waverider by Davidson

http://www.yachtworl...son/New-Zealand

#10 Marko

Marko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

My dad and I campagined a boat of the same design "Farrgo" in the late 80s.

Build in the UK in 1977 for a horrifying amount of money.

Sold to Wales in 1990, never heard of since.

#11 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

There is a Farr 31 for sale in Croatia: http://www.bachyacht...imagepage-0.htm
Looks quite like a halftonner.

#12 battenpoker

battenpoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

Are there some old Half tonners being done up for next year?. I know there were a few recently including King one, Harmony, Miss whiplash. Is this class going to develop like the Quarter tonners. If a few more get updated then you would think the half ton event in Cowes next year will be a pretty decent event.

#13 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Are there some old Half tonners being done up for next year?. I know there were a few recently including King one, Harmony, Miss whiplash. Is this class going to develop like the Quarter tonners. If a few more get updated then you would think the half ton event in Cowes next year will be a pretty decent event.

The big difference between the half and quater ton fleet is that a lot of quater ton fleet are happy just to have the boat as a play thing or as a cheep(ish) way into racing with a decent element of boat bimbling. Slightly different story for the half ton fleet which is why there was a move against heavily IRC'ed half tonners and a change in the name of the competition to the 'Classic Half Ton Cup' following Harmoneys horizon job on the fleet in Dublin.

King 1 has a mills (style) keel on it now but otherwise is basically in it's original unoptimised configuration.

#14 battenpoker

battenpoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

The big difference between the half and quater ton fleet is that a lot of quater ton fleet are happy just to have the boat as a play thing or as a cheep(ish) way into racing with a decent element of boat bimbling. Slightly different story for the half ton fleet which is why there was a move against heavily IRC'ed half tonners and a change in the name of the competition to the 'Classic Half Ton Cup' following Harmoneys horizon job on the fleet in Dublin.

King 1 has a mills (style) keel on it now but otherwise is basically in it's original unoptimised configuration.

Ricm, Doea that mean that the likes of Harmony and King one would not be entitled to enter the "classic half ton cup". I thought I read somewhere that as long as the hull was not changed they would conform. Didn't harmony just change the Keel and Rig layout ?.

#15 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

King 1 would be fine I'd guess and if she's still in the same hands I be suprised if they don't intend to be in Cowes. They did the last Classic Cup and met up with the southwestern HTs for Dartmouth last year.

King 1 is deffinitely in the style of a classic half tonner. No one would arge with that. All the new keel did was fix some of the tenderness anyway.

Harmoney I'm not sure. The work done supposedly consists of:
New keel adapted by Mark from the sucessful QT design,
Move the mast backwards and putting in a none overlapping sail plan with shrouds out to the gunwalls (presumably involving some structural work)
Questions raised over the hull, the lads say nothing done, just general TLC
Throw a load of additional sail area into a mast head kite (and I mean a load, I think at that CHTC she had 10-15 sqm more downwind sail area than everyone else and rated in the middle of the boats there)

Prety similar rig changes have been done on General Tropicana and there doesn't seem to be a problem there though.

Anyway Harmoney was last seen cleaning up her white sails division at Cork Week...

#16 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Both King One and General Tapioca will be in Cowes. Although constantly improved boats, both teams showed that they sail according to the "Half Ton True Spirit", as we name it. We will not allow that things evolve like with the quarter tonners. Entries to the Half Ton Classics Cup will be closely scrutinized by the Class' principals and the local race organizer before they are allowed to start. Presence of sailing professionals f.i. will be critical.

#17 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

By the way Harmony is for sale for quite some euros. A normal competitive halftonner requires 15-20.000€. Top boats around 25.000€. Let this guide potential buyers...

#18 #13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Interests:Antrim 27 and Mercury owner

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

There's a Farr 30 half ton named Antipodiste on San Francisco Bay. Build year is listed as 1978.

I can probably track down the owner if you think this may be the one you're looking for.

Seem to recall Antipodiste has been on the bay since at least 1980, and is of a slightly different 1/2 Ton "ilk" than Swuzzlebubble. Antipodiste was last seen by me a few years ago in the water at RYC. She was also featured in a late 70's or early 80's Pineapple Sails advert in Latitude 38.
Great name, BTW.

#19 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

General Tapioca

Seems I have some kind of Wham thing going on with the name of this boat!!

#20 Pads

Pads

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

King 1 would be fine I'd guess and if she's still in the same hands I be suprised if they don't intend to be in Cowes. They did the last Classic Cup and met up with the southwestern HTs for Dartmouth last year.

King 1 is deffinitely in the style of a classic half tonner. No one would arge with that. All the new keel did was fix some of the tenderness anyway.

Move the mast backwards and putting in a none overlapping sail plan with shrouds out to the gunwalls (presumably involving some structural work)
Throw a load of additional sail area into a mast head kite (and I mean a load, I think at that CHTC she had 10-15 sqm more downwind sail area than everyone else and rated in the middle of the boats there)

Prety similar rig changes have been done on General Tropicana and there doesn't seem to be a problem there though.

But surely if the event is run under IRC, other half tonners going to the event will consider internal ballast to improve their ratings?

So that would mean the only issue affecting the entry of Harmony to the event is the new rig and if General Tapioca is allowed to enter we should expect to see harmony entered?

#21 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

Reading between the lines perhaps the issue may be more that Tino and Biggsy bought Harmony, did the work on it (them selves but then again they have a lot of industry contacts), did litel otehr racing, took out the Cup in theri own back yard sailing around with laptops and deckman etc. (that is no slight on them, they would of won equally emphaticly anyway I recon) and then immediatly flogged the boat for a price well in excess of that typical for a half tonner (and on that they can argue all they like but it was clearly on the cards right from the off).

Keeping the racing accessable seems to be a significant element of 'in the half ton class style'. Some kind of the committment to the class is presumably also apreciated.

#22 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Keeping the racing accessable seems to be a significant element of 'in the half ton class style'. Some kind of the committment to the class is presumably also apreciated.

That's it.

#23 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

To come back to the original question regarding Swuzzlebubble, it seems that someone on the Half Ton website thinks that she was sold to the lakes of Switzerland and mountains of Toblerone. There is a sistership/similar design that is sailed out of a South coast harbour in Devon, UK - possibly one of the semi production run done in Lymington in the late 70's. Farrseur also has been renovated and sails in Brittany, France.

Though designed to the IOR rule Half Tonners do quite well under IRC, with the age allowance really kicking in for the older boat. The likes of King One and Demolition fared well last summer on the South coast regattas and should be difficult to beat in this years Classics cup in Cowes. Hullaballo, a Hustler 32 that has a modern fractional rig should be a real weapon if the breeze is up given her handicap, but the masthead 32's have an even lower handicap. An older masthead boat with a sub .899 handicap might just make some of the newer boats look stupid in the right hands.

Given the spirit of tradition that prevails through the fleet, anyone seriously upgrading would be frowned upon to say nothing of outright distain on a checkmate - sorry, chequebook sailor. Many of the boats in competetive owners hands have been restored into a nearly new condition or possibly better than new.

#24 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Ok, Lets have another try!

Lepus Lazuli a Lawrie Davidson centreboard Half tonner sailed the half ton cup in the late 70's or early 80's - Original owner's name and builder?. She was sailed on the UK's south coast for many years but by whom?. Sold to Peter Dyer she then became a Quokka, who spruced her up with new rags and a splash of paint and campaigned her for a couple of years sailing her in Poole last time the Half tons were held there. Where is this boat now?

#25 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

another question

what ever happened to space odyssey which was bought from hollyhead??? a number of years ago by shay moran and te from dun laoghaire ?? i know they then bought blue berrit pi?? originally called honda or onda from jim mc cann in dun laoghaire also

#26 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

Space Odyssey has reverted to her original name of Ace. Sails out of Torquay and is now painted white! Should be taking part in Cowes next year - oops , This year!

Don't know about B-B Pi though, Last seen in the docks at Dublin. She was Honda as a sponsored French boat that went via two ports on the south coast to Northern Ireland and thence onto Dublin docks. Hope that Shay and Co will go to Cowes.

#27 tdarcy

tdarcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Honda or should I say Wonda when we raced her in Belfast lough was a very quick half tonner one of the last few built 1989 I think . We unfortunately broke the original mast during an overnight offshore race when the wind topped over 50 knots .... The boat loved it ... Needless to say the crew didn't lol . At that time JHN was being very successfully campaigned and it was thought at that time Honda was as quick but unfortunately we never got to race against them. Honda last I heard was in Dublin upside-down getting a revamp of sorts .... Not sure if the work was completed . I still think she would be a weapon in the right hands.
TD

#28 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

Honda or should I say Wonda when we raced her in Belfast lough was a very quick half tonner one of the last few built 1989 I think . We unfortunately broke the original mast during an overnight offshore race when the wind topped over 50 knots .... The boat loved it ... Needless to say the crew didn't lol . At that time JHN was being very successfully campaigned and it was thought at that time Honda was as quick but unfortunately we never got to race against them. Honda last I heard was in Dublin upside-down getting a revamp of sorts .... Not sure if the work was completed . I still think she would be a weapon in the right hands.
TD

Snapping masts all round would be why that never happened Trev!

#29 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

Ok, Lets have another try!

Lepus Lazuli a Lawrie Davidson centreboard Half tonner sailed the half ton cup in the late 70's or early 80's - Original owner's name and builder?. She was sailed on the UK's south coast for many years but by whom?. Sold to Peter Dyer she then became a Quokka, who spruced her up with new rags and a splash of paint and campaigned her for a couple of years sailing her in Poole last time the Half tons were held there. Where is this boat now?

C&C built it for their then Managing Director, it went to Cardiff (Wales)after Burnham on Crouch, was renamed Half Cut which was 28 ft. LOA as two feet were cut off the stern, runners removed and a different bulb keel fitted in Wales before finally going to Cork.

#30 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Half Cut was for sale for very small money in West Cork last year. I think she was in a fairly bad state.

Blue Berret Pi was badly damaged at Sovereigns Cup in Kinsale around 2003. She was repaired and used for an attempt at sailing round Ireland singlehanded.

Country Girl was up for sale recently. http://www.apolloduc...html?aid=148587

Anyone know what ever becamew of Brainwave. The George O'Brien Kennedy designed boat. It was built in a shed on the River Shannon.

#31 tdarcy

tdarcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

BB pi (Honda) single handed around Ireland !!!! Adventurous !! I remember seeing some photos in afloat at that time but she looked different and I didn't think it was Honda .... I'm assuming the runners were removed ??
TD

Rick I heard Wonda lost her mast not long after she went to Dublin ... Shame really that mast was pain to get and was fairly new ... I remember taking all the measurements off the sparkraft one we broke and sending the drawings to the new mast builder

#32 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

Blue Berret Pi has been a serious contender at the 1/2 ton Classics Cup since 2003 in Nieuwpoort (Belgium) where she was beaten by local boat General Tapioca, she missed the 2005 Half Ton title at Dinard due to a incomprehensibly disastrous last race, and was no match for Harmony in the 2007 Half Ton Classics Cup at Dublin (no one was...). She could be a very good boat for Cowes, if sailed by a good team. There's a fair amount of boats being traded at this moment in view of the next Cup in Cowes. 40 boats at the start? Quite possible.

#33 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

Going back to the original question re Ian Gibbs "Swuzzlebubble", the half tonner version ( there were several S'Bubbles over the years)

Here is a pic taken about 20 years ago showing the old 2269 sistership which became "Thats Life" in Melbourne under the ownership of Robbo, Thommo and others and later had her lifting keel changed to a fixed version. She was later sold to Phil Sparrow, at one time head of VYC, and was raced out of Sandringham YC as "Night Raider" for many years. It was only a couple of years ago that Phil moved her to Mornington and shortly thereafter she was washed ashore in a storm and deemed to be a total loss. Thusfar unsubstantiated rumours abound that someone from Mal Harts team bought the wreck and is slowly refurbishing her. She was lightly (for the times)built of kevlar and epoxy and at the time considered to be a 'throwaway' one series yacht. It took a pretty solid reef to knock her out of commission some thirty years later and hopefully she may sail again.And yes, the yacht in the background is the original (Inglis 47') Wild Thing.

Attached File  Night Raider Phil Sparrow SYC.jpg   332.85K   308 downloads

#34 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

Rick I heard Wonda lost her mast not long after she went to Dublin ... Shame really that mast was pain to get and was fairly new ... I remember taking all the measurements off the sparkraft one we broke and sending the drawings to the new mast builder

Similar story with JHN. Broke the first mast when leading the Lambay in a blow and someone tweeked on some check stay. With in a year the replacement was snapped the crane caught the backstay during a lift. After that they put something stiffer in. The boats not the same since apparently.

Will find out what the plans for this year are on Saturday. New no. 1 on it's way from Prof but if any one has a serviceable no. 2 knocking around give us a shout!

#35 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Both HONDA and ACE/SPACE ODYSSEY had their coachroofs cut down for some reason so they do look odd to say the least! Honda also has a home built carbon mast that seems to do the business! As for JHN/SUPERHERO she has had a grey paint job and sports a mast with sweptback spreaders and no runners, but you're right she is no longer the boat she was - disappointing really!

I found an old report by Rob Humphreys when he worked for Y & Y that LEPUS lAZULIi was built for Nick Maris and sailed under a Greek sail number for the first time at the half ton cup. The boat appears to have been built in Italy, though I may have got that one wrong. His next boat was ASSOS/ACE which has had several owners and has always been in the chocolates - she also has had a quiver of masts, two in one season!

Sportscar - Great picture, got any more?

#36 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

As for JHN/SUPERHERO she has had a grey paint job and sports a mast with sweptback spreaders and no runners, but you're right she is no longer the boat she was - disappointing really!

15 degree sweep, still has the narrow shroud base and runners (which it needs). No point in going the IRC route as to much of the rating is locked in the hull factor. Everyone seems to think we're a bandit anyway so no need to make it worse.

Will be short a no. 2 again next year, as last. Shame when the old one gave up cos don't think I ever lost a race helming with that sail. Had the boats best ever season in Ireland that year. Will be very glad to see the back of the no. 1 though. The deck hardwares due for a refresh too.

Still easily the boat she was if priorities where different in terms of events. Gone better since we piled an extra 12sqm into the kite a couple of years ago. The stiffer mast just makes it sticky in light winds (the boat is anyway compaired to the C25s etc) but we could do a lot more to tweek what we have for the conditions.

Still come off the water with a shit eating grin when ever it's over 12 kts though.

#37 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

The boat with the home-made carbon mast... it's not a beauty, but highly efficient...
For the 2007 1/2 ton worlds BBP was re-assembled the night before the start of the first race.
We hope to see her back soon.

Attached Files

#38 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

Both HONDA and ACE/SPACE ODYSSEY had their coachroofs cut down for some reason so they do look odd to say the least! Honda also has a home built carbon mast that seems to do the business! As for JHN/SUPERHERO she has had a grey paint job and sports a mast with sweptback spreaders and no runners, but you're right she is no longer the boat she was - disappointing really!

I found an old report by Rob Humphreys when he worked for Y & Y that LEPUS lAZULIi was built for Nick Maris and sailed under a Greek sail number for the first time at the half ton cup. The boat appears to have been built in Italy, though I may have got that one wrong. His next boat was ASSOS/ACE which has had several owners and has always been in the chocolates - she also has had a quiver of masts, two in one season!

Sportscar - Great picture, got any more?

i was involved in a very small way in the rebuild of ace .the reason the coach roof was removed apart from been ugly was i believe it was pretty soft .also we did a complete respray replaced every piece of deck gear and all new instruments and a new set of sails from watson sails.

also i the following year before honda was bought by the bb pi team . her mast broke during the autumn league in howth on sunday and brian murphy rebuilt it and we had her back in the boat the following sunday by 8.30 am .

#39 Toolbox

Toolbox

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Family

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Going back to the original question re Ian Gibbs "Swuzzlebubble", the half tonner version ( there were several S'Bubbles over the years)

Here is a pic taken about 20 years ago showing the old 2269 sistership which became "Thats Life" in Melbourne under the ownership of Robbo, Thommo and others and later had her lifting keel changed to a fixed version. She was later sold to Phil Sparrow, at one time head of VYC, and was raced out of Sandringham YC as "Night Raider" for many years. It was only a couple of years ago that Phil moved her to Mornington and shortly thereafter she was washed ashore in a storm and deemed to be a total loss. Thusfar unsubstantiated rumours abound that someone from Mal Harts team bought the wreck and is slowly refurbishing her. She was lightly (for the times)built of kevlar and epoxy and at the time considered to be a 'throwaway' one series yacht. It took a pretty solid reef to knock her out of commission some thirty years later and hopefully she may sail again.And yes, the yacht in the background is the original (Inglis 47') Wild Thing.

Attached File  Night Raider Phil Sparrow SYC.jpg   332.85K   308 downloads

Wasn't she on Ebay about a month ago for about $500 and a quick removal from a backyard?

TB

#40 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Here's a picture of the butchered Half Cut - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say, or is it just me?
Posted Image
Photo from RJ Marine's advert.

Dino - Thanks for that information.
You don't know where Miss Piggy has gone? Heard a rumour that she had gone to Kinsale following a major crash in Cork Week but that was some time ago. Also a Half Tonner was destroyed on the rocks about 12 years ago whilst taking part in the superleague series at Howth? Any information would be appreciated.

#41 Farr 1/2 Ton

Farr 1/2 Ton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

This is our Farr 1/2 Ton, design No. 54, Martini. Built in New Zealand in 1977 by Alpha Marine, she spent most of her life in the US West Coast, then in Utah and latter in Portland, Maine where we purchased her in 2009. Now sailing on a high altitude lake in Colombia, South America.

#42 Farr 1/2 Ton

Farr 1/2 Ton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Sorry, couldn´t attach the picture. Let´s see if it works:

file:///Users/robertolaignelet/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2010/REGATA%20ABRIL%2024%202010/DSC_1560.JPG
file:///Users/robertolaignelet/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2010/REGATA%20ABRIL%2024%202010/DSC_1566.JPG

#43 Farr 1/2 Ton

Farr 1/2 Ton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Attached File  DSC_03511.jpg   47.24K   161 downloadsOnce again

#44 bigfeet

bigfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Here's a picture of the butchered Half Cut - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say, or is it just me?
Posted Image

You don't know where Miss Piggy has gone? Heard a rumour that she had gone to Kinsale following a major crash in Cork Week but that was some time ago. Also a Half Tonner was destroyed on the rocks about 12 years ago whilst taking part in the superleague series at Howth? Any information would be appreciated.

Miss Piggy is in the Trawler basin in Arklow and is toally burst, and it was an Impala that went up on the break water in Howth owned by Austin Wheelan i believe

#45 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Posted Image

Miss Piggy is in the Trawler basin in Arklow and is toally burst, and it was an Impala that went up on the break water in Howth owned by Austin Wheelan i believe

i believe the owner of the impala was dave turner ?? .anyhow where is skdoo i believe she was a half tonner or a quarter ?? if i remember correctly red hull and orange mast awesome little boat

#46 tdarcy

tdarcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

I saw Skboo some years ago tied up in one of the dock basins along the liffey between dublin and dun laoghaire she was fairly rough then.......we viewed it and flash and at that time the lovely 3/4 tonner Utopia (we nearly bought Utopia but Mike Relling advised us that a good half tonner would usually beat a good 3/4 tonner on corrected time- mike then sourced Honda for us) before honda was bought.......I still remember a great photo of Skboo doing the scottish series years ago in the middle of a chinese gybe broach not sure which mag it was in.

There was a sister ship to Skboo in bangor marina for a few years Niddo 3 i think was its name owned by Chris Boyd the designer i think......not sure if he still owns it.

TD

#47 tdarcy

tdarcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I saw Skboo some years ago tied up in one of the dock basins along the liffey between dublin and dun laoghaire she was fairly rough then.......we viewed it and flash and at that time the lovely 3/4 tonner Utopia (we nearly bought Utopia but Mike Relling advised us that a good half tonner would usually beat a good 3/4 tonner on corrected time- mike then sourced Honda for us) before honda was bought.......I still remember a great photo of Skboo doing the scottish series years ago in the middle of a chinese gybe broach not sure which mag it was in.

There was a sister ship to Skboo in bangor marina for a few years Niddo 3 i think was its name owned by Chris Boyd the designer i think......not sure if he still owns it.

TD

Found the Pic of skboo

Attached Files

#48 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

TD

did you race honda in ireland?? with Jim mc cann?? what was she called when he owned her wonda??

#49 tdarcy

tdarcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

I raced Honda up in Northern Ireland out of Carrickfergus sailing club.....my friend Graham Millar owned her then around 1996 i think. The boat arrived on a low loader with the name Honda and we put her together and raced her about a day later and won the event but got protested on the first day because of the name!!!! So over night we got a large letter M (from a mars bar advert ) turned it upsidedown and replaced the H ......next day we re-appeared called WONDA........that shut the protester up :-)........got a real soft spot for that boat.......the night we broke the mast on the offshore race we had actually retired whilst in the lead as the owner who stayed ashore told us the forecast was bad and if things got nasty retire and protect the mast. So while blowing around 50 knots we decided to retire took the main off and were motor sailing with a 3 blade and both runners on for support to the mast. The waves were massive and finally one was too big with no back to it, the boat landed in the trough but the mast kept going .....later i had to phone the owner and confess ..oops !!

#50 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

I raced Honda up in Northern Ireland out of Carrickfergus sailing club.....my friend Graham Millar owned her then around 1996 i think. The boat arrived on a low loader with the name Honda and we put her together and raced her about a day later and won the event but got protested on the first day because of the name!!!! So over night we got a large letter M (from a mars bar advert ) turned it upsidedown and replaced the H ......next day we re-appeared called WONDA........that shut the protester up :-)........got a real soft spot for that boat.......the night we broke the mast on the offshore race we had actually retired whilst in the lead as the owner who stayed ashore told us the forecast was bad and if things got nasty retire and protect the mast. So while blowing around 50 knots we decided to retire took the main off and were motor sailing with a 3 blade and both runners on for support to the mast. The waves were massive and finally one was too big with no back to it, the boat landed in the trough but the mast kept going .....later i had to phone the owner and confess ..oops !!

great story i do hate those phone callls to owners .i have a soft spot for all those dublin half tonners i used to work on a number of those boats in early 2002/3 before i moved to chicago.hence i know wonda quiet well .when she arrived here the mast also fell down during a autumn league race the owner was not convinced he would race again the following sunday but we got the mast back in in time and he went on to win that race i believe .also worked and raced on space and bb pi

#51 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

I have a feeling Skboo ended up on lough derg but I could be wrong. I definitely saw here in ringsend basin years ago. I think there's an old half called Juno sitting in Arklow too.
I sailed once or twice on Flash in Fenit in 2002. I think she was a Humphreys. Where did she end up?
There was a shamrock lost on the rocks around Cork Harbour years ago too. The transom hangs on the wall of the Anchor Inn in Crosshaven.

#52 UniGor

UniGor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

There's a half tonner of some description up the Liffey on the bank by Poolbeg power station, visible here.

If memory serves, it has a MME keel.

#53 bigfeet

bigfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

I have a feeling Skboo ended up on lough derg but I could be wrong. I definitely saw here in ringsend basin years ago. I think there's an old half called Juno sitting in Arklow too.
I sailed once or twice on Flash in Fenit in 2002. I think she was a Humphreys. Where did she end up?
There was a shamrock lost on the rocks around Cork Harbour years ago too. The transom hangs on the wall of the Anchor Inn in Crosshaven.

Im not 100 % sure uti think Skboo is now called Stricty Buisness and is in Dun Laoghaire, Flash is back in the UK , Juno in Arklow is a Humphres 3/4 tonner, pre Scenario Encore and lOcal HGero (Utopia and now Marissa)

#54 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

There's a Strictly Business in Fenit but it's a 3/4 tonner. She's also for sale on apolloduck.ie. She was Bateleur 87.

#55 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

SkBoo is in Arklow now called Renegade along with Miss Piggy looking sorry for itself!

#56 tdarcy

tdarcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Wondered where Juno went ... We raced against her and the sister ship twenty twenty when we were racing WHonda .... Relling was right to, the 1/2 usually beat the 3/4 on corrected and frequently over the water

#57 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Twenty twenty was sitting on a mooring on the Liffey outside Poolbeg for a while, could be still there.
What ever happened to scenario encore the 3/4 tonner?

#58 bigfeet

bigfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

Twenty twenty was sitting on a mooring on the Liffey outside Poolbeg for a while, could be still there.
What ever happened to scenario encore the 3/4 tonner?

Encore has gone back home to her original owner Stu Fitton in Wales and has had a complete rfurb, going to try to grt him to bring her to DL Week

#59 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Are there any pictures of Miss Piggy in her current wrecked condition that someone can post?

Was Flashback, late 80's, the old Quokka after Peter Dyer sold her? I seem to remember a messy rating protest at Torbay/Dartmouth, but I'm not sure............

#60 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

This pic was taken in November 2010 in Arklow, sad very sad!

Attached Files

• Attached File  18.jpg   776.78K   384 downloads

#61 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

Has anybody noticed that the sail numbers on Skidoo's main and kite are different?

Did Flash MG30 become the Big Picture? And has she been sold from Dublin back to the UK, If so where?

Miss Piggy looks a sorry sight in that picture!

#62 Penno

Penno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Big Picture was Redeye

SKBoo was deffo IR 1690

#63 Dino

Dino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Yeah Miss Piggy certainly looks a sorry sight. You could loose €20k in her very easy.
Did Flash become Hurricane Humphrey?

#64 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

This pic was taken in November 2010 in Arklow, sad very sad!

Oh man this picture hurts...
What happened to her?
No one interested in giving her the refit she deserves?

#65 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

Has anybody noticed that the sail numbers on Skidoo's main and kite are different?

Did Flash MG30 become the Big Picture? And has she been sold from Dublin back to the UK, If so where?

Miss Piggy looks a sorry sight in that picture!

Big Picture is still in Dublin, just not in the water. Half the crew did last year with us. Not sure what their plans are, which I think is most of the problem ;)

#66 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Yes, I am but can't get a price from the current owner.

Attached Files

• Attached File  16.jpg   828.24K   206 downloads

#67 rastus

rastus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

That lid looks tourtured

#68 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

Can't be asking too much for a wreck...

#69 IRLDB

IRLDB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

There's a half tonner of some description up the Liffey on the bank by Poolbeg power station, visible here.

This is a Ron Holland Nicholson half tonner ( can't remember the name) I remember her being sailed a couple of times in the earley nineties, not raced .
She had the racing rig with runners and checks.She was put on the hard for the winter as she is now, in about 1995 and never launched again.
She would be a sister ship of silver mite or the famous Grimalkin from the 79 fastnet.

#70 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

There was an MG30 called Confusion. Anybody know anything about her? Might she possibly have been Local Hero 1 at some stage?

#71 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Peter Costa owned a Half tonner called ELECTRIC AIR over on the east coast (Burnham?) during the mid 80's. Possibly a Beneteau Evo like KING ONE. Where's it gone? Any History or Photos out there about her?

#72 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

I was in contact with him in November last as asked him if he would sell he said he would get back to me but never did.

About 18 months ago I was speaking to him and he was talking about €15,000 so I didn't take it any further at that time. Now it is even worse than now as it is up against the key wall with no fenders and a large hole has been rubbed in the outer skin and the core was very wet the day I was looking at her and it has been very cold and the water in the core may have frozen.

I think he will want want too much money for it but if I could get it for a fair price I would buy it ok. New rigging, new sails new deck gear/ instruments, maybe engine are only the big items not taken into account the labour involved which would be a labour of love for me.

#73 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

I was in contact with him in November last as asked him if he would sell he said he would get back to me but never did.

About 18 months ago I was speaking to him and he was talking about €15,000 so I didn't take it any further at that time. Now it is even worse than now as it is up against the key wall with no fenders and a large hole has been rubbed in the outer skin and the core was very wet the day I was looking at her and it has been very cold and the water in the core may have frozen.

I think he will want want too much money for it but if I could get it for a fair price I would buy it ok. New rigging, new sails new deck gear/ instruments, maybe engine are only the big items not taken into account the labour involved which would be a labour of love for me.

Looking at the picture it appears that all the relevant bits and pieces are still there in one bit - just drool over that titanium push and pulpits. What's a realistic price with a soggy hull - £10,000?

Rattler, I wish you luck with your quest! The boat deserves to be brought back to life in sympathetic hands. Go and beat the owner down and get sailng.

#74 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Looking at the picture it appears that all the relevant bits and pieces are still there in one bit - just drool over that titanium push and pulpits. What's a realistic price with a soggy hull - £10,000?

Rattler, I wish you luck with your quest! The boat deserves to be brought back to life in sympathetic hands. Go and beat the owner down and get sailng.

Not more than 5000£, especially considering the amount of work... Remember the boat is a wreck.

#75 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I think that is more like a fair price but what would be worth after on the market??

#76 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I think that is more like a fair price but what would be worth after on the market??

much more of course if you do a good job on her.. and sail her to Cowes in August.

#77 rattler

rattler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

much more of course if you do a good job on her.. and sail her to Cowes in August.

Never be ready in time!

#78 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

Best to think of her as a labour of love rather than a transaction
Just very rough back of the fag packet I suspect you could spend anything up to twice what the boat ends up being worth, depending on the deals you can do and how much work you end up doing.
But having said that you'll still get a lot of boat for the money spent

#79 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Rough Idea on the rigging, sails, instruments and engine @ £15000. Materials for the hull as she's strip plank cedar to include epoxy and glass @ £2000. Labour , yours for free and favours from your mates - Plenty of slabs of beer!. Paint and filler £500.

Assuming that you are working on the boat over weekends only with five helpers..
Allow 2 days to remove all fittings and engine.
4 days to install temporary building frames inside the hull
Time to strip out soggy cedar - 2 days.
Allow 6 days to re-plank, sand and fair cedar planking.
3 days to glass and vacum finish.
1 day to temove temporary frames.
14 days to sand, fill and paint both sides and cockpit.
3 days to re-install fittings.
add 5 days to make mistakes
Just add water and sail!

You have to be very determined, fully organised, single minded and have a certain level of knowledge and tools but it's possible. Never managed it myself , but I have seen it done!

Finished product £20000 to £28000 depending on the finish that you can achieve. But I'm sure that I'll be shot down over that price...........

#80 King One

King One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

I tried in vain three years ago - think the owner was a bit of an odd ball as despite the boat being in bits, money owed to marina and abandoned, he said not for sale. The rig was knackered and I reckoned on about 40k-50k to put right assuming the hull was sound which would be unlikely. Met a guy who did the bow on it originally and said it was a rocket ship.

#81 King One

King One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

This is a Ron Holland Nicholson half tonner ( can't remember the name) I remember her being sailed a couple of times in the earley nineties, not raced .
She had the racing rig with runners and checks.She was put on the hard for the winter as she is now, in about 1995 and never launched again.
She would be a sister ship of silver mite or the famous Grimalkin from the 79 fastnet.

Feanor - Jim Poole's old boat.

#82 King One

King One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Make no mistake - General Tapioca, the last winner, is more turboed than Harmony!

#83 King One

King One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Anyway Harmoney was last seen cleaning up her white sails division at Cork Week...

King One will definitely be in Cowes this year. Any Irish owners that want information, please contact me as I am a bit involved in sorting the event.

#84 King One

King One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Space Odyssey has reverted to her original name of Ace. Sails out of Torquay and is now painted white! Should be taking part in Cowes next year - oops , This year!

Don't know about B-B Pi though, Last seen in the docks at Dublin. She was Honda as a sponsored French boat that went via two ports on the south coast to Northern Ireland and thence onto Dublin docks. Hope that Shay and Co will go to Cowes.

Last I heard from owners were someone was coming over from Belgium with a vie to buying her. Think Shay is finished his half ton days!

#85 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Last I heard from owners were someone was coming over from Belgium with a vie to buying her. Think Shay is finished his half ton days!

BBP is better off sailing in Belgium then sitting in a Irish shed waiting...

#86 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Are there any French Half's going to "Vache" this year then that anyone knows? Maybe a Swede or two?

#87 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Are there any French Half's going to "Vache" this year then that anyone knows? Maybe a Swede or two?

Yes the French are coming. And 1 Finnish boat (the usual one). With a little effort we might see a Swedish team and maybe even an Italian. They just need a kind of budget to get their boats to Cowes.
But if Hannibal was able to cross the Alps with a busload of elephants, then for Italians pulling a trailer with a halftonner from Rome to Cowes must be a piece of cake. No?

And just to tease the foreigners, I attache a picture of Silver Shamrock (thank you Brenda), taken after her victory in Trieste. If the Irish/British can take a halftonner to the Canal Grande, then the Italians (and Swedes) have no more excuses. Spread the word!

Attached Files

#88 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Urr, didn't most of the Elephants snuff it??

#89 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Anyone know anything about the half tonner golden shamrock?

#90 King One

King One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

Anyone know anything about the half tonner golden shamrock?

Alive and for sale I think still in Wiclow.

#91 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Yes the French are coming. And 1 Finnish boat (the usual one). With a little effort we might see a Swedish team and maybe even an Italian. They just need a kind of budget to get their boats to Cowes.
But if Hannibal was able to cross the Alps with a busload of elephants, then for Italians pulling a trailer with a halftonner from Rome to Cowes must be a piece of cake. No?

And just to tease the foreigners, I attache a picture of Silver Shamrock (thank you Brenda), taken after her victory in Trieste. If the Irish/British can take a halftonner to the Canal Grande, then the Italians (and Swedes) have no more excuses. Spread the word!

I'm sure that that photo was taken on the Liffey in Dublin and not Venice.............

#92 bigfeet

bigfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

I'm sure that that photo was taken on the Liffey in Dublin and not Venice.............

Funniest looking picture of Dublin that ive ever seen

#93 Deed

Deed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Did someone say Silver Shamrock...?

Attached Files

#94 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

We do better: The Silver Shamrock III (or 'mackerel') in Australia in 1977 (thanks again Brenda)...

Attached Files

#95 GBA

GBA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hi all,

Nice topic,
everybody has others informations or pictures about silver shamrock III or IV ?
I believe SS III has sailed in australia in 1977 and in Poole in 1978...not SS IV

#96 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Flash the MG30 prototype built for Barry Bullen, was sold to George Radley and became Hurricane Humphrey but when he sold her, to buy Rakel from the Baltic, where did the boat go?

Local Hero was an MG30 hs, did the Half ton cup in '83 under Geoff Howison's ownership (no results) but then what became of her?

#97 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Trashed in a winter storm when up on hard standing and the boat next to her fell on her (I think). The owner then bought JHN and renamed her Superhero.

#98 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

Trashed in a winter storm when up on hard standing and the boat next to her fell on her (I think). The owner then bought JHN and renamed her Superhero.

Nope, that was local Hero 2 (Briand 84) in Southampton when an X99 and a big Swan leant on top of it! Reputedly having recently changed hands and being repaired in time for Cowes this year. Not too sure about the JHN bit though.........

#99 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

By the way, did anybody find Swuzzlebubble yet?

#100 Juggs

Juggs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

By the way, did anybody find Swuzzlebubble yet?

There is a thread on the Half Ton website that she was sold to somebody in Switzerland back in the early 80's but nothing heard of since. Probably has been sold on several times since then. Would have a bandit handicap under IRC as a '77 boat with the age allowance, but a big fractional rig to provide the power.

Is there a Swiss website that questions could be posed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users