545 replies to this topic

#1 JungleJim

JungleJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

With the New Year comes a commitment to a new boat- The Offshore Columbia 32! The bro and crew of Urge has rallied and determined that we go faster, harder and farther. We took a close look at the 40' options (particularly the J125) but decided that we had fun keeping together a small crew of close friends and of course it is much nicer on the pocketbook.

Our older Columbia (Uncontrollable Urge) has seen many upgrades over the years and in over 16K racing miles (in sometimes hairy conditions) has never let us down- but it demands some compromises for offshore racing that has limited it's potential.

Vince from Columbia Yachts approached us last year after our strong finish in the Pacific Cup with a very tantalizing offer: leverage the best of the older Columbia, by designing a new boat with no compromises for offshore work: it would be substantially lighter and stiffer via carbon fiber, have a 7/8 hoist to give 17% more sail area, external sprit, retractable keel (allows for trailer delivery on cargo containers), 15hp Yanmar diesel with retractable prop drive, redesigned companionway and hatch (based on experiences with the Pogo), repositioned forward hatch, etc...and a minimal no-nonsense offshore interior with dedicated nav station.

The catch- a super aggressive price of $99K. We did what any sane person would do...and said "Hell Yes."

So the money was delivered yesterday and the build started- but there is still room for mods, particularly on the interior set-up.

We will post build updates to the forum and look forward to substantive input. Or tits.

And if any of you want to jump on and get your offshore mojo going in your area take a serious look- it is a lot more fun to race against similar boats!

JungleJim
Uncontrollable Urge
USA 56603

#2 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Congratulations. Should be an incredible boat.. Hope Columbia sells a bunch of them.

#3 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,345 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

Cool! Always good to hear a new build is happening in CA of all places. Vince does a nice job

#4 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Thats a good size for a boat: not too big & not too small either, and although I forget the exact stats on the boat i do recall thinking that this is where sailboats in general are heading.

When's delivery?

#5 RINSED

RINSED

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Living a Rinsed lifestyle everyday

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Columbia 32

#6 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

Cool, see you in Kaneohe in about 18 months.

#7 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,043 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

You may want to use a custom Killer Whale paint job on the keel of this one eh?

#8 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:27 AM

Sweet. How does the prop retract? You guys know how to make it go already and you can trailer back from Cabo and PV.

ditto when is she done?

#9 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

that's very cool. this boat looks right in ways the 30 didn't. looking forward to following your journey - should be a good one!

#10 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

The lead-in mentioned a "dedicated nav station". Much of our nav work is GPS and Laptop. I know you also need back up plans, sightings and reductions. Are you sizing that nav area for the back-up (chart size table) or will you keep the nav station small and revert to the saloon table in the event you need to go to sextant, charts and position tables. With better and cheaper electronics and back-up systems, a nav station is almost retro.

#11 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

$99K gets you how far? boat/motor/keel/rig? electronics? sails? trailer??

Just curious how aggressive the price is and how much more you think to get it race ready.

#12 Brian

Brian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Just curious how aggressive the price is and how much more you think to get it race ready.

With the initial press release, the expectation mentioned $150k race prepped for Trans Pac and returned from Hawaii. The Ulman link also notes a $10k credit if order and deposit by the 15th--IMO, sounds pretty aggressive.

#13 dudewood

dudewood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

Does it have running back-stays? Some of the pictures show them and others do not?

#14 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, architecture, Texas Forever

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

With the initial press release, the expectation mentioned $150k race prepped for Trans Pac and returned from Hawaii. The Ulman link also notes a $10k credit if order and deposit by the 15th--IMO, sounds pretty aggressive.

Seems to me that's a damn good price for a carbon, offshore capable boat. Congrats on the new boat JJ, keep us updated as things progress.

#15 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

vince seems to answer questions pretty quickly...shoot him an email thru their site

#16 2.7 Seconds

2.7 Seconds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:====

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Congratulations on pulling the trigger for the new boat - and staying in the Columbia family as well. Vince and the guys at Columbia build great boats, and they do it right her in Southern California.

Looking very forward to seeing it on the water.

#17 K9u20

K9u20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Congrats on the new boat ! I think you made a great decision. I too have looked at and liked the 40's but the 30's seem more inline with what most of us want in a boat at least me. Trailerable, minimun accomodations, fast. looking foward to seeing the finished products.

#18 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

What's the LOA with the fixed sprit? any chance at a retractable option? It's a very sweet looking ride...

#19 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Nice! Congrats!

#20 carcrash

carcrash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

The lead-in mentioned a "dedicated nav station". Much of our nav work is GPS and Laptop. I know you also need back up plans, sightings and reductions. Are you sizing that nav area for the back-up (chart size table) or will you keep the nav station small and revert to the saloon table in the event you need to go to sextant, charts and position tables. With better and cheaper electronics and back-up systems, a nav station is almost retro.

totally agree. Nav stations are so last century.

#21 carcrash

carcrash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Sweet. How does the prop retract?

Pics and/or video!!

#22 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

i think the sprit can be removed so you don't get whacked for an extra few feet on your dock fees...would have to refer back to the brochure.....there's another thread that's probably buried a few pages by now that answers questions like this...

#23 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

There may be a place for a nav station, but on a 32, racing to a known destination, much of the nav and planning is done ahead of time. Comfortable places to rest off-watch on the windward (or leeward) is more important every hour than re-plotting a position on paper that 2 or three or four handhelds on deck already have. Cruising or much bigger boats , (you could make thearguement)can afford to dedicate some single purpose space.

#24 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

Would be great to see some more info...

#25 Slam Matt

Slam Matt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

Why a 15hp engine when the original only had a 10hp? With the offshore 32 being about 500 lbs lighter, I wouldn't think that you want or need the extra weight of a bigger engine.

#26 Sticker Schock

Sticker Schock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

WarBird - What we are after on the new C32 as opposed to the original C32 is a "dry" place to mount the laptop, Sat phone, GPS, and radio. A large flat surface for charts is secondary and could be performed on a flat surface like a hatch board if absolutely necessary. We like to do distance races with minimal crew (2 or 4) and having the above equipment mounted and available for quick access by all crew members as they come on and off watch is a priority.

Sticker Schock
Urge

#27 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:46 AM

I can dig it.

While the Nav station positioned at the foot of the helm on a big-boat is pretty cool, on smaller boats is always seems to get placed adjacent to the main hatch and frequently get innundated - be it a forgotten-to-close the the slider, wet-sail transit, or rain/sneaker waves - while communicating to the deck sounds good, keeping the electronics in a nice dry place is an idea whose time has come.

So you guys trading in the old whip or is somebody getting a hand-me-down ?

Wish I were ordering C32 # 2.

#28 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

I like it.

#29 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

I can dig it.

While the Nav station positioned at the foot of the helm on a big-boat is pretty cool, on smaller boats is always seems to get placed adjacent to the main hatch and frequently get innundated - be it a forgotten-to-close the the slider, wet-sail transit, or rain/sneaker waves - while communicating to the deck sounds good, keeping the electronics in a nice dry place is an idea whose time has come.

So you guys trading in the old whip or is somebody getting a hand-me-down ?

Wish I were ordering C32 # 2.

Yea, the nav station on the Shark sucked! How are ya my brother!Ho-mo-to...

#30 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

The nav station on the old Urge was a bracket on the forward bulkhead for the laptop. You sat on the seatee if you can call it that to run expedition and download grib files.

You just need a dry place for the laptop and place to sit.

There may be a place for a nav station, but on a 32, racing to a known destination, much of the nav and planning is done ahead of time. Comfortable places to rest off-watch on the windward (or leeward) is more important every hour than re-plotting a position on paper that 2 or three or four handhelds on deck already have. Cruising or much bigger boats , (you could make thearguement)can afford to dedicate some single purpose space.

#31 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

I see Sticker schock beat me to it.

#32 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

thanks for posting the inside drawings didn't see them on the web yesterday. The inside looks great.

Not so retro, methinks.

#33 FUNK

FUNK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:SAILING

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:20 AM

Looks very well thought out. A friend of mine is taking a very serious look at it.

#34 HappyG

HappyG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

Why a 15hp engine when the original only had a 10hp? With the offshore 32 being about 500 lbs lighter, I wouldn't think that you want or need the extra weight of a bigger engine.

My understanding is that the 10hp single cylinder 1GM10 engine was discontinued and the 2YM15 is the smallest currently available.

Can anyone confirm this?

- HappyG

#35 HappyG

HappyG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:32 AM

I'm the primary navigator on Urge and as Tweaker mentioned, our current nav station is the settee with a laptop bolted to the bulkhead at a 90 degree angle to the seat. You've got to sit sideways on the settee do do any work.

For shorter coastal races of a day or two, I agree that you do much of the navigation ahead of time, but we've done 16,000 miles of ocean racing on Urge including 2 races to Hawaii. For those races, I spend at least an hour of every off watch on the laptop downloading gribs, analyzing weather, plotting the fleet, doing daily radio check-ins, etc.

One of the key design specs for a new boat was a dedicated nav station that is functional but designed for modern navigation - basically a chair with enough desk space for a laptop, sat phone, GPS, and radios. For paper charts, we'll use a hatch board.

Having said that, I completely agree with your assessment that a comfortable place to rest off-watch is also extremely important. I wouldn't sacrifice that for a fancy nav station.

- HappyG

#36 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Looks like a great boat for the intended purpose. Dead sexy. Can't wait to see one. Any chance one is coming to Chicago for Strictly Sail at the end of the month?

I would think either some foot braces or a seat belt would be appropriate for the head.

#37 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Any chance one is coming to Chicago for Strictly Sail at the end of the month?

You expect the tooling and the boat to be built by then? That is a daydream.

IMHO, exhibiting Colombia 32C would be a waste of the advertising budget because Chicago area sailors have shown disinterest when it comes to purchasing this type and size of boat.

With so little opportunity to compete in long distance offshore races on Lake Michigan it would take decades to sail 16,000 miles. I bet that the longest sailing T-10s that were first introduced 32 years ago haven't goat that many miles under their keels.

Umm, no. But, boat builders have been known to borrow an owner's boat, like the one that just sailed to Hawaii, and use that as a marketing too at a boatshow. Columbia did this with the 30 at the Strictly Sail show a few years back.

I don't want this thread to get off-topic but your assessment of the boat's suitability for the Great Lakes is a bit off. Between the two Mac races you're looking at no less than 600 miles of what I will call medium-distance racing each year plus a few other point-to-point races (Queens Cup, Tri-State) that are shorter but still make for fun racing of no less than 60 miles each. The trailerability of the boat then allows it sail events like CRW before the season here really starts.

#38 DAK

DAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

A 32 year old T10 with less than 16000 miles on it? I'd like to take that bet. Thats 500 miles a year or less than one Chicago Mac and back. Heck, I put more than 2K miles a year on my boat and I'm not trying that hard. Then again, if I had $150G to spend, I'd have already ordered one.

#39 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

I know the design spec is for an offshore-capable racer, but is there any reason to believe it wouldn't be good around the buoys too?

#40 djmnyc

djmnyc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

Their website is a bit confusing, as they talk about a Columbia 32 inshore boat, and have a bunch of pages about the Columbia 30. The seem to use those two names interchangeably. Not that I'm the market for any of these, but, purely out of curiosity sake, can someone explain the genealogy?

#41 SanDSail

SanDSail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

A nav sation and a navigator have more uses than just figuring out where you are. A GPS won't tell you how to get where you are going as fast as possible.

#42 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

Hey I looked at the inside again and didn't see a keel box. It it still a lifting keel or? and Will you be able to stand(bent over) at that galley area?

#43 JungleJim

JungleJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

Yeah, we are looking to sell Urge 1 to an owner who wants a turn-key boat that is race-proven, reliable and able to get to Hawaii on a low budget. The boat has been very well maintained.

My understanding is the Offshore Columbia keel will lift higher to allow ramp-launching, but the keel will be 6" deeper than our current lumbo (total 7'6") and quite a bit heavier. Orca paint pattern will be mandatory. Just say "No" to sharks. Sail-plan has less roach and a lower boom so coupled with the deeper and heavier keel should have better righting moment and lower COE= less spin outs.

We really want seat-belts on the head to prevent airborne pinching, only a very small holding tank (probably bladder bag) that can be easily maintained, and a T-valve for dropping the kids offshore. Forward compartment should prevent water ingress into the rest of the boat from soggy spinnakers stuffed down the hatch or a broken head.

Some other thoughts- not sure if these will make it onto the production boat though...

Thinking of installing a small water vacuum pump as well- this makes mopping up much faster, keeps the boat from going thru puberty (lots of hair from four grown men) and can double as an emergency pump.

Small saltwater pump on the transom for rinsing out dishes.

Dedicated area close to the companionway for storing wet foulies and boots. Dry is good and reduces fatigue.

Small fans located near the hatches by the berths. Cool air is good in the tropics and reduces fatigue.

Galley just large enough to lay 8 slices of bread out. No oven. Vent over the stove. We use a pressure cooker and the added moisture in the air creates mucho condensation on the interior. Will probably use gas rather than alcohol- although Urge 1 was alcohol and we only had one stove fire.

Lots of discussion over instruments. Urge 1 is all TackTics but these are very difficult to see at night. Might try blue-toothing a tablet to the main nav computer- this would allow us to consult Expedition without dropping below.

Big discussions over water makers and their value with a four-person crew. We have run this calculation many times balancing weight with security with dependability. We currently run the engine to charge batteries twice per day at one hour per session and know that this uses very, very little fuel on the Yanmar 10hp.

JungleJim
Uncontrollable Urge
USA 56603

#44 JungleJim

JungleJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Regarding buoy racing...We don't do too much of this- probably because our brains are slow. It might do well, but with the clutches and traveler set-up for a two person watch, could also be a little crowded. Hard to say until we see the mock up deck-layout in person- although in theory it should be very good for double-handed or short-handed buoy racing.

#45 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

I know the design spec is for an offshore-capable racer, but is there any reason to believe it wouldn't be good around the buoys too?

You are preaching to the quire since I really like this design. I believe that it will perform well in both venues.

A few years back there was a two day on the water exposition of various sport boats in Chicago, and none of them were ever purchased and raced in Chicago area.

It appears that most Chicago area owners of 30-35' boats prefer to race their old shit boxes instead of boats similar to Columbia 32C.

Good point. People didn't buy Vipers, Open 5.7s or Ultimate 20s so the chances of them buying a 32 ft. 4-up offshore racer is minimal. Your logic is impressive.

#46 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

You are preaching to the quire since I really like this design. I believe that it will perform well in both venues.

A few years back there was a two day on the water exposition of various sport boats in Chicago, and none of them were ever purchased and raced in Chicago area.

It appears that most Chicago area owners of 30-35' boats prefer to race their old shit boxes instead of boats similar to Columbia 32C.

Good point. People didn't buy Vipers, Open 5.7s or Ultimate 20s so the chances of them buying a 32 ft. 4-up offshore racer is minimal. Your logic is impressive.

Whether the logic is sound or not it is clear that Chicago doesn't have many progressive buyers of race boats. It is a mostly an assembly of old shitboxes and furniture laden cruisers. And you are fully aware of that.

#47 Rich Frye

Rich Frye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

In addition, your stuborness in refusing to recognize that Chicago area has been unable to jump start any sport boat fleet regardless of size, speaks volumes about your logic.

Just in case you missed it, I really like this boat.

The best way to jump start any fleet in Chicago is for you to stay as far away as humanly possible George.

#48 Dull

Dull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

The traveller arrangement looks ... interesting.

How much do booms cost?

#49 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Any updates on the build and design other than the half hull-mold photo contest?

My berth is getting rebuilt this spring and apparently will now hold a 32 footer!

Might be time to consider an upgrade from my Olson 30...

#50 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Have heard there are 3 on order.

#51 JungleJim

JungleJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:07 AM

First Offshore Columbia 32 out of the mold...

Attached Files

#52 JungleJim

JungleJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:09 AM

Think it has carbon fiber?

Attached Files

#53 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

very cool!

#54 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

sweet!

#55 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:50 AM

Nice touch... subtly sexy.

#56 inhiding

inhiding

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

So whats' this thing gonna rate?

And can you get it with a retractable sprit?

#57 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, architecture, Texas Forever

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

That's hot! Congrats.

#58 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

that's so hot, what's it rate?

#59 JungleJim

JungleJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

230ish in PHRF...or not...your mileage may vary.

Went up to the factory yesterday and the project is really coming together. Checked out the engine and began to see what the deck is going to look like: flat out sexy!

"You'll need 3/4 inch line to keep her from jumping off the dock". Vince Valdes

The boat is going to look fast even while at the slip. Aggressive profile, wide cockpit, good visibility while helming, with the goal of keeping dry, dry, dry inside.

I think the bro took some pics while we were up there...hull weighed in at 508lbs.

Discussion of pros and cons of a monsterish bowsprit ensuing. Will be pinned so that it can be pulled at the dock.

JungleJim
Uncontrollable Urge

#60 inhiding

inhiding

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

And probable completion date is?

#61 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

This boat better work cus, I just priced out the Farr 400 and and .................

Sail safe!

#62 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

I think the bro took some pics while we were up there...hull weighed in at 508lbs.

That's nutty!

#63 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

Sexy new photo just came in the mail...

Posted Image

I want one!

#64 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

Damn! That's a sexy hull form.

Has anyone pondered a trial IRC rating for this little beast? Would be very keen to hear...

#65 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

Just visited Kernan's design site...anyone know why this yacht isn't mentioned anywhere in there?

#66 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Just visited Kernan's design site...anyone know why this yacht isn't mentioned anywhere in there?

Short answer #1: Their web designer made it too hard to add new pages.

Short answer #2: The site has sort of been orphaned. See #1.

Also missing: Dr. Laura's Katana.

#67 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

With the New Year comes a commitment to a new boat- The Offshore Columbia 32! The bro and crew of Urge has rallied and determined that we go faster, harder and farther. We took a close look at the 40' options (particularly the J125) but decided that we had fun keeping together a small crew of close friends and of course it is much nicer on the pocketbook.

Our older Columbia (Uncontrollable Urge) has seen many upgrades over the years and in over 16K racing miles (in sometimes hairy conditions) has never let us down- but it demands some compromises for offshore racing that has limited it's potential.

Vince from Columbia Yachts approached us last year after our strong finish in the Pacific Cup with a very tantalizing offer: leverage the best of the older Columbia, by designing a new boat with no compromises for offshore work: it would be substantially lighter and stiffer via carbon fiber, have a 7/8 hoist to give 17% more sail area, external sprit, retractable keel (allows for trailer delivery on cargo containers), 15hp Yanmar diesel with retractable prop drive, redesigned companionway and hatch (based on experiences with the Pogo), repositioned forward hatch, etc...and a minimal no-nonsense offshore interior with dedicated nav station.

The catch- a super aggressive price of $99K. We did what any sane person would do...and said "Hell Yes."

So the money was delivered yesterday and the build started- but there is still room for mods, particularly on the interior set-up.

We will post build updates to the forum and look forward to substantive input. Or tits.

And if any of you want to jump on and get your offshore mojo going in your area take a serious look- it is a lot more fun to race against similar boats!

JungleJim
Uncontrollable Urge
USA 56603

Congrats on the upgrade from U2

Posted Image

#68 Nomenclature

Nomenclature

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

The boat is going to look fast even while at the slip. Aggressive profile,

It is nice to see a new design that is not slab sided,
and looks like the designer may have had a ships curve
rather than just a straight edge.

#69 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

You guys must be getting itchy waiting for her to be done. Will it be ready by June? O She looks awesome!!!

Sexy new photo just came in the mail...

Posted Image

I want one!

#70 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

O yeah how does the prop retract? or does it? And where does the Life raft go? Are they building a pocket on the transome or will you have a dog house like
UU1?

#71 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

Poor mans' Farr 11S....so to speak.

#72 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

Um, not even close. Two completely different types of boat:
11s is a day racer for around the cans/coastal racing - Columbia is optimized for offshore.
11s is a 37 foot, 5,300lb boat - Columbia is 32 feet and ~3,600lbs.
11s has as bunch of go fast features (canting keel, daggerboards, etc.) - Columbia is a much more conventional set-up aimed at small crews.
Could go on...

#73 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:32 AM

11s is a day racer for around the cans/coastal racing - Columbia is optimized for offshore .
11s has as bunch of go fast features (canting keel, daggerboards, etc.) - Columbia is a much more conventional set-up aimed at small crews.
Could go on...

Yep.

Same, same, but nothing fucking like each other.

#74 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:44 AM

It is nice to see a new design that is not slab sided

It's the compound curve that makes it art.

#75 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

11s is a day racer for around the cans/coastal racing - Columbia is optimized for offshore.
Could go on...

Oh ya...agree on all counts...and let's not forget, the 11s can't point and only sails to its rating (talking IRC here) at 150 TWA in >15 kts TWS or thereabouts (i.e. excellent OD yacht but lousy handicapped/fleet racer). One of them has raced in quite a few regattas in Asia over the past couple of years (with guys who know what they're doing) and it never hit the podium.

The C32, on the otherhand - because of its super light displacement - might just be a light air weapon in the making. I'd just be a little worried about being handcuffed to asym-only in light air though (against other yachts with poles/symmetric kites...like Mumm30 or other strong light air boat).

I am genuinely intruiged by this yacht though (the C32). And since selling our TP52 I've been looking for something alot smaller and super fast to have some fun with. Call a couple of mates, chuck some sails on board and go!

It just says go fast to me.

Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone got the polars for this boat? If yes - please PM me to share. Thanks.

2) Has anyone done a trial IRC certificate yet? If not, I will do it but I need all the sail measurements. Mr Ullman???

Would love to explore this yacht's potential beyond just short-handed offshore racing if anyone else is interested.

Its too damn sexy to ignore!

#76 gimmee

gimmee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

Could go on...

Oh ya...agree on all counts...and let's not forget, the 11s can't point and only sails to its rating (talking IRC here) at 150 TWA in >15 kts TWS or thereabouts (i.e. excellent OD yacht but lousy handicapped/fleet racer). One of them has raced in quite a few regattas in Asia over the past couple of years (with guys who know what they're doing) and it never hit the podium.

The C32, on the otherhand - because of its super light displacement - might just be a light air weapon in the making. I'd just be a little worried about being handcuffed to asym-only in light air though (against other yachts with poles/symmetric kites...like Mumm30 or other strong light air boat).

I am genuinely intruiged by this yacht though (the C32). And since selling our TP52 I've been looking for something alot smaller and super fast to have some fun with. Call a couple of mates, chuck some sails on board and go!

Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone got the polars for this boat? If yes - please PM me to share. Thanks.

2) Has anyone done a trial IRC certificate yet? If not, I will do it but I need all the sail measurements. Mr Ullman???

Would love to explore this yacht's potential beyond just short-handed offshore racing if anyone else is interested.

You won't be alone Tuffy. Squall is ordering one and initially race it out of Ocean Marina to try and build up the class. Also for six months there are five regattas four hours drive away from Samui to Phuket. Way to go !

#77 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

Could go on...

Couple of questions:

You won't be alone Tuffy. Squall is ordering one and initially race it out of Ocean Marina to try and build up the class. Also for six months there are five regattas four hours drive away from Samui to Phuket. Way to go !

No kidding! Squally...as in owner of Tradewinds, Samui has ordered one?

#78 smokeless

smokeless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

<<snip>>

Couple of questions:

+1

This would be the sweet spot for a little offshore weapon; by comparison an A35 tips the scales at 4450kgs vs 1580 for the C32

The question is how badly the carbon hull is hammered under IRC.

This would be a fun little ride to Vietnam....

Does the LOA hit the 10m for offshores around here?

#79 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

<<snip>>

Couple of questions:

+1

This would be the sweet spot for a little offshore weapon; by comparison an A35 tips the scales at 4450kgs vs 1580 for the C32

The question is how badly the carbon hull is hammered under IRC.

This would be a fun little ride to Vietnam....

Does the LOA hit the 10m for offshores around here?

9.75m LOA (@32 ft)
8.23m LWL (@27 ft)

Despite 30-footers surviving the TransPac I don't think this yacht would be allowed to enter HKG-Vietnam.

Manila-Boracay...now that's another story.

Inaugural Neptune Race this year was a blast reach all the way to the equator...another great spot for this little rocket.

Wouldn't be a very pleasant delivery to Manila though (from Singapore). Best to ship it.

EDIT: carbon hulls are as common as rainbow spinnakers now...IRC not punishing as much anymore...stern/bow overhangs, fathead main and the length of that prodder will be the problem.

#80 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

what are you thinking tuffie, a1, s2, a3?

#81 smokeless

smokeless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

<<snip>>

9.75m LOA (@32 ft)
8.23m LWL (@27 ft)

Despite 30-footers surviving the TransPac I don't think this yacht would be allowed to enter HKG-Vietnam.

Manila-Boracay...now that's another story.

Inaugural Neptune Race this year was a blast reach all the way to the equator...another great spot for this little rocket.

Wouldn't be a very pleasant delivery to Manila though (from Singapore). Best to ship it.

EDIT: carbon hulls are as common as rainbow spinnakers now...IRC not punishing as much anymore...stern/bow overhangs, fathead main and the length of that prodder will be the problem.

To bad on not making the cut for the RHKYC events (CSR, SF, or HK-Vietnam), boat seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

The rig plan Vince sent along looked like a single backstay so the RF shouldn't be horrendous. You might play a bit with the sail plan to see what tweaks would keep the speed up without too much of a rating hit, and a small reduction in STL might only sacrifice a degree or two of TWA with same same kites while getting enough pips back to help.

I'm not sure if the Manilla delivery would be considered pleasant on most boats...

#82 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

No way man! This thing would suck DDW (or deeper than 165...170 TWA).

How about Code-0, A1, A3

BIG zero!!

#83 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

Sail plan

Attached Files

#84 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Sail plan

Thanks Bozo. Got this from Columbia already actually. For the trial cert, I need the actual sail dimensions...mid-births, luff lengths etc.

Maybe Dave Ullman might be kind enough to post them?

#85 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

Wow does this thing look like fun......

#86 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

This boat looks awesome. I could see it being a great weapon for buoy racing, but the fixed prod might be a little limiting at starts and mark roundings.

Are there any thoughts from Columbia about a retractable sprit? I guess another option (already mentioned) would be if you could remove the sprit and use a sym pole and spin for buoy racing.

Cheers,

jason

#87 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

It can be built with a retractable sprit.

#88 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

How about Code-0, A1, A3

BIG zero!!

Was thinking about what you said earlier about a weak spot against the pole boats, thinking an S2 could be good in 12 - 18.

#89 Pleb

Pleb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:17 AM

How about Code-0, A1, A3

BIG zero!!

Was thinking about what you said earlier about a weak spot against the pole boats, thinking an S2 could be good in 12 - 18.

Agreed Advocate!

With a Big C0, A1, A3 there is no running sail in the inventory. I doubt an A1 would be of any worth in 10+AWS. Maybe an A1.5 but your still stuffed in that Downwind marginal-heavy stuff.

#90 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:30 AM

How about Code-0, A1, A3

BIG zero!!

Yes, I understand...I just don't think this boat would perform on corrected time very well sailing deeper angles downhill.

Someone tell me I'm wrong and why. This is good discussion.

In 12-18 I think you could sail 165 TWA and still might be able to plane...certainly at the higher end of that wind range you would be...and you'd be going much faster than the sym/pole boats.

Gotta see the trial IRC certificate first and then we can start doing some comparisons on how much time you have to give other/typical boats...like a Mumm30 or an A35 or an Elan35 or a Platu (Farr25), X99, Young88 etc...

#91 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

How about Code-0, A1, A3

BIG zero!!

Yes, I understand...I just don't think this boat would perform on corrected time very well sailing deeper angles downhill.

In 12-18 I think you could sail 165 TWA and still might be able to plane...certainly at the higher end of that wind range you would be...and you'd be going much faster than the sym/pole boats.

Gotta see the trial IRC certificate first and then we can start doing some comparisons on how much time you have to give other/typical boats...like a Mumm30 or an A35 or an Elan35 or a Platu (Farr25), X99, Young88 etc...

I don't disagree Tuffie, just your earlier comments got me thinking.

Also agree, need to see a cert, but the discussion is good so far.

At 18 I think you would definitely be on an A2 or MH A3 if that is what you have and pulling numbers.

Also I would have a very different inventory for W/L vs distance.

#92 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:45 AM

How about Code-0, A1, A3

BIG zero!!

Agreed Advocate!

With a Big C0, A1, A3 there is no running sail in the inventory. I doubt an A1 would be of any worth in 10+AWS. Maybe an A1.5 but your still stuffed in that Downwind marginal-heavy stuff.

Yeah, still have nightmares about what Fairy Tern did when they went a big S runner. Admittedly this is a different beast, but still...

#93 Pleb

Pleb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

How about Code-0, A1, A3

BIG zero!!

I don't disagree Tuffie, just your earlier comments got me thinking.

Also agree, need to see a cert, but the discussion is good so far.

At 18 I think you would definitely be on an A2 or MH A3 if that is what you have and pulling numbers.

Also I would have a very different inventory for W/L vs distance.

Personally I would doubt its W/L performance without an S-Sail. Sure have your Reaching A-Sails but you do need depth. 165degrees may be too deep. Look at a Farr 40, when the breeze is up the DW Target angle is 148ish to keep the boat moving.

#94 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:55 AM

We need to do a conceptual merge with the "teach me VMG sailing" thread.

I only sailed on the first "version" of this boat twice so take these observations with a grain of salt, but that experience was memorable for two things.

First: when there was any decent wind above 12 the boat was launched and dead simple to sail to fast numbers. The boat is light and has a good shape and you can build AWS and carry it down with you. We were doing 12 in 12.

Second: on a random leg / point-to-point race, if it's light and the mark is between DDW and your best VMG TWA, it feels hopeless. I doubt even an S1 would help much. You simply can't get there from here and any jibe is just extra distance, pure and simple. If you are racing against a leadmine that can sail those deeper angles without the huge sacrifice of a planing boat, you're pretty much done; all you can do is pray for a header.

#95 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:16 AM

12 in 12, at what angle?

#96 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

12 in 12, at what angle?

Good question!
It was a year ago so I have to reconstruct this. We were going down the backside of Catalina Island so it must have been VMG sailing or a broad reach.

Here's what I wrote the day after:

We didn't get the prolonged running we were hoping for, but in the few brief hours we got we were doing steady 9 knots with runs up to 12 and 13 knots several times a minute. The wind was around 10 knots and the swell was nothing of much significance. Completely effortless. It just goes that fast.

I was impressed.

#97 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:57 AM

12 in 12, at what angle?

Good question!
It was a year ago so I have to reconstruct this. We were going down the backside of Catalina Island so it must have been VMG sailing or a broad reach.

Here's what I wrote the day after:

We didn't get the prolonged running we were hoping for, but in the few brief hours we got we were doing steady 9 knots with runs up to 12 and 13 knots several times a minute. The wind was around 10 knots and the swell was nothing of much significance. Completely effortless. It just goes that fast.

I was impressed.

In your opinion, how much different are these two hulls and in what way? The transom profile of the new C32 looks very different from the older yacht. Not having stood in front/on either yacht I'm coming from a distinct disadvantage here.

Anyone with some thoughts on key differences between old and new C32?

Thanks.

#98 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:05 AM

Just had another bo peep at the sail plan.

Is now looking low aspect, or is it just me?

#99 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

In your opinion, how much different are these two hulls and in what way?

Not having superimposed the lines plans or anything nearly so empirical I would just have to state the obvious: the Col 32 reflects the latest thinking of the same designer as the Col 30.

#100 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

In your opinion, how much different are these two hulls and in what way?

Not having superimposed the lines plans or anything nearly so empirical I would just have to state the obvious: the Col 32 reflects the latest thinking of the same designer as the Col 30.

Superimposition? State the obvious?

Any opinion anywhere in there?

How do the boats differ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users