3717 replies to this topic

#1 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

Within a few months there should be 4, 5, or 6 AC45s barreling out of the Viaduct.

I watched today's launch. They have made changes and are now doing it more quickly than before.

I chatted with Paul Bielker about the plywood box. It was his idea but will soon be replaced by an aluminium version of what they call the "wing lifting gumboot."

Paul likes the kiwi No. 8 wire attitude of this box.

#2 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

Today they are playing with Bielker's latest idea - a mooring.

It is made by filling a tetra buoy with fresh water.

The fresh water weighs more than the boat.

By using a bridle led through a short painter, this set-up is designed to dampen unruly behaviour while moored.

In another improvement they have welded long rods between hull trundlers.

#3 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

Shoebie came over for a look at the AC45.

He sure-as-hell does not look like a guy about the enter some BS AC90 series.

He likes the look of the AC45.

He would love to sail in the Volvo but is too overwhelmed with TNZ projects to do so.

I asked him whether a WS could be squeezed into the Viaduct.

He thinks it is possible. But, saying this, he looks askance at all the construction happening on Halsey St.

#4 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

Before the boat went out today GMR fixed small cameras to the wing foot and the lower edge of the bottom element.

For a guy with his extraordinary ability, he is a shy man.

I told him I was TK from SA.

But he was nonplussed and gave no hint of the fact he ever looks here.

I had a look in his camera bag and, like everyone else around here, his stuff is protected by plastic bags from familiar Auckland stores.

Like everyone else, he dresses in OR Racing gear.

Anyway, on your behalf, I thanked GMR for his excellent work.

Told him we had seen the Christmas compilation.

Just shrugged and said "it is nothing."

What worries me about him is the way he leaps from the dock to the boat (and back again). While carrying cameras!

#5 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

What worries me about him is the way he leaps from the dock to the boat (and back again). While carrying cameras!

Make sure you tell him that, and say it in bold :D

A pic of the Bieker tetra buoy please?

#6 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

Gilles is out there photographing it now.

It is mostly underwater. Only one small corner is exposed.

Matty thinks it is too far from their facilities.

But they are keen to leave the boat on a mooring overnight.

If this system works, there will soon be an entire line-up of AC45s swinging at their moorings.

The weather is settling and I think mooring will quickly become standard practice.

#7 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

They are continuing to furnish and inhabit the front office.

On the wall is a circle and statement "for stress relief, bang head here."

#8 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

I asked Shoebie if there would be a WS in Akld.

I reckon he should know.

What he anticipates is a lot of informal AC45 racing once other syndicates get their boats.

Has no knowledge of a WS series in Akld.

Reckons they will be pretty preoccupied with getting the ACRM gear ready for shipping.

#9 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

I asked one of the people in charge "who will do the launch/retrieval procedures when ML shows up?"

His answer.

"You mean, if they show up!"

He may know nothing more than us.

But I thought this was an interesting answer.

Foook .... if ML roll over, who will step up as CoR? Artemis?

No thank you. That would be far too cozy.

Besides, at this stage who wants to be CoR?

Too late. It is all decided.

#10 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

Make sure you tell him that, and say it in bold :D

Getting on the boat is a bit interesting.

If you step into the stern scoop you get wet feet (hence the MJ shoes drying in the sun).

A better option is to leap off the dock and up onto the aft end of a hull - landing roughly at the point where the stern section is attached to the hull.

Any athletic person can do it.

But one slip and it could be nasty.

#11 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

I asked one of the people in charge "who will do the launch/retrieval procedures when ML shows up?"

His answer.

:o Thinking that is one thing, but saying it ..

#12 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

Gilles is out there photographing it now.

It is mostly underwater. Only one small corner is exposed.

Matty thinks it is too far from their facilities.

But they are keen to leave the boat on a mooring overnight.

If this system works, there will soon be an entire line-up of AC45s swinging at their moorings.

The weather is settling and I think mooring will quickly become standard practice.

Any idea how much current runs through the mooring area? I imagine that if there is enough to make them lie significantly off the wind that unpleasantness might ensue.

#13 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

Any idea how much current runs through the mooring area? I imagine that if there is enough to make them lie significantly off the wind that unpleasantness might ensue.

There is some tidal exchange but not much. Wind is a bigger factor than current.

This morning they sailed upwind into the mooring and pretty-well stalled the boat right over the buoy.

It is like the boat has an accelerator and a brake.

I am now starting to think we will see some dramatic start-box theatrics.

Because of this ability to stop and start.

#14 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

There is some tidal exchange but not much. Wind is a bigger factor than current.

This morning they sailed upwind into the mooring and pretty-well stalled the boat right over the buoy.

It is like the boat has an accelerator and a brake.

I am now starting to think we will see some dramatic start-box theatrics.

Because of this ability to stop and start.

That is something that people are overlooking, how must faster you can stop those boats with the wing. The more we hear, the more I think about it, the more I think the pre-races are going to be great theater.

#15 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:40 AM

Keep up the good work, but do not over extend your welcome.

I imagine you are thanking everyone for their courtesy and what it means to us wacko's on SAAC.

Worrysome comment about ML, I hope it is not a veiled message. VO seemed awfully close to LE in Miami, not like someone getting ready to bail........................

#16 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

Worrysome comment about ML, I hope it is not a veiled message. VO seemed awfully close to LE in Miami, not like someone getting ready to bail........................

More like somebody trying to get some money? ;)

His answer.

I have had very similar comments from 2 other Oracle Racing team members. They don't seem very confident in the ability of their CoR to go sailing.

#17 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:43 AM

I have had very similar comments from 2 other Oracle Racing team members. They don't seem very confident in the ability of their CoR to go sailing.

Simon, Simon - sour grapes because Francesco Bruni sailed an A-cat for the first time in his life coupla days ago, and come Feb 7 if the check doesn't bounce he might be steering a 45 - and you're not? :D

You are totally right, of course.

#18 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:09 AM

Simon, Simon - sour grapes because Francesco Bruni sailed an A-cat for the first time in his life coupla days ago, and come Feb 7 if the check doesn't bounce he might be steering a 45 - and you're not? :D

You are totally right, of course.

Good luck to Francesco. He is a great guy and I was lucky to have trained with him in 49ers. And I do not have any aspirations to be involved in sailing as a full time job, even if this forum does seem like a full time thing :D Of course, if i was offered a ride in an AC45 I wouldn't say no but I am very happy with my life and wouldn't swap it for that of an AC sailor. I think I get the best of both worlds. I am fortunate enough to sail with the best in the game and I have a "normal" life as well.

I should add that some time ago, I was attacked for caring about whether the AC professional sailors had jobs. I still care. I actually would love it if there were lots of teams employing lots of sailors. Some really good people are still wondering whether they will ever get a decent job again in their chosen career.

#19 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

More like somebody trying to get some money? ;)

His answer.

Then why are they messing around in the RC 44's??? where are their priorities???

#20 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Gentlemen ... this threads concerns news from the Viaduct.

So .... ?

#21 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Gentlemen ... this threads concerns news from the Viaduct.

So .... ?

So......Pics???? Don't be afraid to upstage GMR!!

#22 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:08 AM

Today (Thursday) the boat left the mooring at 1.30 p.m.

Hot and breezy in Akld. Should be good sailing.

It seems like OR are getting plenty of practice on the AC45 while challengers are considering their options (which, in many cases, are not good).

There will be an event at the Viaduct on 8 February - with opportunities to clarify certain issues.

Another typhoon is approaching NE Aotearoa.

This weekend will be wet and very boisterous !! Unlikely to be any sailing.

In the meantime a 9-day surf carnival is getting under way at Mt. Maunganui.

I have some young relatives in the surfboat race. If Metservice is to be believed, there will be big seas this weekend.

But today is a glorious summer day!

#23 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:17 AM

Because the Viaduct is quite narrow and there is a steady stream of marine traffic, it is not possible to dump moorings and leave them them unoccupied overnight.

Hence when not occupied, the tetra buoy of the AC45 mooring is removed and the line tied back to a piling. Right now, ACEA have 1 mooring in the Viaduct and a couple of spare tetra buoys on land. These buoys are labelled "Auckland City Council" (they must be the ones used during the LV-T).

Those in charge are hoping to soon see 5 or 6 AC45s in the Viaduct and local sailors expect to have fun in informal regattas.

These preliminary jousting matches might be more valuable than WS events.

Although some people think moorings are the answer, I cannot see half a dozen unoccupied AC45s floating around in the Viaduct.

I hope I am wrong and, when I next see Matty Mason or someone else in the ACEA, I will ask.

Not many people are coming down to see the boat.

But, of the hardcore fans who I see there, ALL like the look of this AC45.

#24 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

During the launch process the crane lifts the boat from the trundlers and, while it dangles above, rudders are brought from the shed and removed from their gloves.

Someone gets on the boat and drops in the rudders.

A tie-rod connects the two tillers. Various "positions" are engineered into each end of the tie rod - which can be expanded or contracted.

They get the rudders parallel like this.

First, Matty or someone sticks green builders tape to the hull - above the rudder (there is not much space there).

The starboard rudder is positioned so it is in line with the hull. This position is marked on the green tape.

The port rudder is then moved into position. It is made to parallel the starboard rudder by expanding or retracting the tie rod.

During this process several people are taking measurements with rulers.

I guess that, in the America's Cup, you want to have your rudders parallel !!!!

The other day they were supposed to go out at a certain time and Murray Jones was there as expected.

But some of the others were stuck in traffic and got there late !!!

When MJ is steering he is very keen to go!

#25 fallsailor

fallsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, yoga, rum... girls that like that stuff too.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

TK,

Thanks for the update mate...!

It helped to "temporarily" make me forget about the 17" of snow that fell here last night!!

Now I have to go shovel...!

Again, thanks!

FS

#26 denlefk

denlefk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

TK,
Thanks for all the updates...!!!

#27 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the info!

Being a literalist, and with access to google earth, I have one simple question: Where or what the f is the "Viaduct"? I don't see no stinkin' viaduct when I look at that area of Aukland.

Oh....and there is no "l" in Bieker.

And you actually don't want your rudders parallel. You want them angled slightly so that they carve concentric radii when turning.

#28 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info!

Being a literalist, and with access to google earth, I have one simple question: Where or what the f is the "Viaduct"? I don't see no stinkin' viaduct when I look at that area of Aukland.

And you actually don't want your rudders parallel. You want them angled slightly so that they carve concentric radii when turning.

Google maps?

The platform and wing is being stored in the two halves of this building (oppisite Moana Fisheries) or is on the mooring out front.

#29 SeanM

SeanM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info!

And if into spelling, Aukland has a "c" in it ;)

#30 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info!

Dear Asym,

Alright!

There used to be a swing bridge - a viaduct - that sort of guarded the entrance to this part of Auckland harbour.

Its most famous moment was when a pirate radio ship (Radio Hauraki) was attempting to leave the basin for their anchorage in international waters (from where they could broadcast without a licence). Similar to Radio Caroline in the UK.

Authorities attempted to close the Viaduct Basin (by lowering the bridge) to lock the Hauraki vessel in the harbour.

But Hauraki advocate (and owner) David Gapes jumped into the machinery under the bridge and they had to leave it in the "up" position. Even so, a very dangerous place to be.

The Hauraki ship (an old scow named "Tiri") escaped to open ocean and broadcasting began. There is a good display about this in the Auckland maritime museum which includes relevant film footage and audiotapes.

I was peripherally involved with this because Gapes was my mate and, later on, become a key ally in attempts to stifle French nuclear testing in the Pacific.

Dave went on to edit NZ's "On Film" magazine.

Radio Hauraki still exists. Ashore and licensed.

It is known as the "Viaduct Basin" but gets shortened to "Viaduct" (as part of attempts to confuse Aussies and Poms).

And no "l" in Bieker. Roger that!

As to your other points, I'll have my rudders parallel please - with cream and sugar!

#31 hobsonlea

hobsonlea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:53 AM

Not looking like a great Friday / Saturday here in Auckland ...

Posted Image
Fullscreen capture 28012011 43715 PM by 11ebf0ba6ce9a3504450e72ca7620db3, on Flickr

#32 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Maybe you should have introduced yourself as the crazy idiot Hastings, he might have known who you were then.

#33 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

Not looking like a great Friday / Saturday here in Auckland ...

Posted Image
Fullscreen capture 28012011 43715 PM by 11ebf0ba6ce9a3504450e72ca7620db3, on Flickr

JS was saying they were about ready to sign off on everything, but had not yet been out in winds at the upper limit - 30kn.

Will they take the chance over the next few days?

#34 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:21 AM

Will they take the chance over the next few days?

No ... boat and wing were both in the shed last night. However, the cyclone is passing. Saturday 1300 hours, windy but the sun is out.

Here are a few photos to satisfy trivia needs.

The first is part of an art wall created by kids from Freeman's Bay school. Their wishes for a rehabilitated Viaduct/Wynyard Quarter - and mostly ignored by planners.

Second, for Stingray, the tetra bouy used at the mooring. Remember, Paul Bieker fills it with fresh water. To the point where only the tip is visible.

Third, TNZ containers arriving back from Dubai. They use the TNZ travel lifts to move these monsters around. There is quite a lot of activity at TNZ and, knowing what I now know, I predict Dalts has a very good chance to win the AC.

Dalts has the best designers - most notably wing expert Richard Pearse (who cannot be bought by foreigners).

Attached Files

#35 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

Few more photos.

Clear view of the plywood water tank at the foot of the wing.

I have a feeling ACEA will not let challenger syndicates launch and retrieve the boat.

The considerable shore crew now on that job will likely remain.

And yes, there are women in the shore crew.

OR need to know we have noticed and applaud any efforts to build gender equity.

Attached Files

#36 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Second, for Stingray, the tetra bouy used at the mooring. Remember, Paul Bieker fills it with fresh water.

Second time you stress that. Why not seawater - different density? Won't be able to sleep tonight B)

Dalts has the best designers - most notably wing expert Richard Pearse (who cannot be bought by foreigners).

Channeled through a three-legged CAD station, presumably :D

#37 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

at a guess on density

they want the tetra to float as low as possible but still float

when filled with sea water the buoyancy of the vinyl was found to be enough that the whole thing floats just a little too high

with the risk that the cat would snag on it when dodging around in gusts

any catching could allow the wind to get a real bite on the wing so is bad

however by filling with slightly more dense fresh water the whole tetra sits lower in the water, almost completely submerged?

and there is less risk of the cat catching a hull on it????

#38 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

however by filling with slightly more dense fresh water

What foul stuff are Kiwis drinking? :lol: But you may have provided the explanation: the buoy can be filled completely and still float (about 30 g/l difference).

#39 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

there's an interesting experiment on density

that i've never done

where you put an unopened can of diet coke and an unopened can of regular coke in a bucket of water

apparently the regular coke sinks and the diet coke floats

your mission

should you choose to accept it

1) do the experiment to confirm it's true, unlike the old 4" nail tail

or

2)explain why 1 can floats yet the other sinks

#40 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

Sorry, no carbonated drinks allowed in the house - only ethanol solutions, at your disposal for experimenting on those :)

#41 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

however by filling with slightly more dense fresh water

What foul stuff are Kiwis drinking? :lol: But you may have provided the explanation: the buoy can be filled completely and still float (about 30 g/l difference).

They could add rum to it to make it float higher still... Then if the boat capsizes the crew will at least have something to console themselves with. :P

#42 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

of course the density thing is purely speculation

it could just as easily be that filling a tetra with water is easier by running a hose down from the dock than trying to wrestle with wet vinyl by submersing it off the dock

but if we allow a little more lateral drift on liquid density studies with the exclusion of carbonated candy water

we could look at "depth chargers"

being a shot of drambuie/sake whatever, at the bottom of a pint of beer

where it quite happily sits

until the pleasantly buzzed drinker forgeting it's presence tosses off the last dregs of the glass

and gets an alcoholic depth charger to the belly

Attached Files

#43 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

it could just as easily be that filling a tetra with water is easier by running a hose down from the dock than trying to wrestle with wet vinyl by submersing it off the dock

Spoilsport :D .Yeah, could be that too, and you might need the pressure to stretch the vinyl.

SAAC's Macco's razor: why stop at the simple, obvious explanation when there's plenty of complicated ones we can speculate on?

#44 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

Few more photos.

Clear view of the plywood water tank at the foot of the wing.

I have a feeling ACEA will not let challenger syndicates launch and retrieve the boat.

The considerable shore crew now on that job will likely remain.

And yes, there are women in the shore crew.

OR need to know we have noticed and applaud any efforts to build gender equity.

Thanks for the pics TK!

#45 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,987 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the info!

Get pissed @ The LOADED HOG

walk out the door w yet eyes closed (or while texting) don't stop

tell you hear someone yell

aha dat bloke did a walk-a-bout into the flippin Viaduct ................. .yeaaaaah

#46 trt

trt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

TK I think you need to get out and about more. The whole world does not revolve around SA and in reality not a lot of sailors bother with the rants being written here.

#47 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

TK I think you need to get out and about more.

It is true.

Piha today.

#48 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

the webcam will be worth watching on the 31st

http://www.sitecam.c...uckland_webcam/

He says the downtown start line, off Princes Wharf, has been designed to ensure spectators have a great view of the yachts as they race to the start.

if the ac45 takes part it will presumably be part of

The sailing fleet makes their contribution to activities from 10.55am. First away are super-quick multihulls with the other divisions starting their races at five-minute intervals.

Key regatta events

What: Oceanbridge Anniversary Day Regatta

Where: Waitemata Harbour

When: Monday, January 31

Start times: (All from Princess Wharf unless otherwise indicated)

Tugboat Parade: 9am

Tugboat race: 10am (off North Head)

Keel boats: From 10.55am

Division One keelers: 11.30am

Classic boats: 11.35 & 11.45am

Waka Ama: Noon (Westhaven)

Harbour Blast: Noon (Orakei Wharf)

First boats finishing off Princes Wharf: 12.30pm

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10701359

looks like it should be there from this

He is, after all, 48, and far from race-fit after a minor illness over Christmas. Yet it took only a minute before he kicked Oracle Racing skipper Jimmy Spithill off the helm on his debut sail in Auckland on Thursday.

"I loved it. It's a really responsive boat - it's not like driving the family saloon, this is a Formula One car," Coutts said, predicting this scaled-down version of the AC72 Cup boat will do more than 30 knots in the right conditions.

The Oracle crew has had the cat reaching speeds of 28 knots on the Hauraki Gulf this week, and will take it out for a spin among the Auckland Anniversary Day regatta fleet.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/yachting/news/article.cfm?c_id=106&objectid=10702817

#49 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:12 AM

the webcam will be worth watching on the 31st

http://www.sitecam.c...uckland_webcam/

He says the downtown start line, off Princes Wharf, has been designed to ensure spectators have a great view of the yachts as they race to the start.

if the ac45 takes part it will presumably be part of

The sailing fleet makes their contribution to activities from 10.55am. First away are super-quick multihulls with the other divisions starting their races at five-minute intervals.

Key regatta events

What: Oceanbridge Anniversary Day Regatta

Where: Waitemata Harbour

When: Monday, January 31

Start times: (All from Princess Wharf unless otherwise indicated)

Tugboat Parade: 9am

Tugboat race: 10am (off North Head)

Keel boats: From 10.55am

Division One keelers: 11.30am

Classic boats: 11.35 & 11.45am

Waka Ama: Noon (Westhaven)

Harbour Blast: Noon (Orakei Wharf)

First boats finishing off Princes Wharf: 12.30pm

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10701359

looks like it should be there from this

He is, after all, 48, and far from race-fit after a minor illness over Christmas. Yet it took only a minute before he kicked Oracle Racing skipper Jimmy Spithill off the helm on his debut sail in Auckland on Thursday.

"I loved it. It's a really responsive boat - it's not like driving the family saloon, this is a Formula One car," Coutts said, predicting this scaled-down version of the AC72 Cup boat will do more than 30 knots in the right conditions.

The Oracle crew has had the cat reaching speeds of 28 knots on the Hauraki Gulf this week, and will take it out for a spin among the Auckland Anniversary Day regatta fleet.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10702817

Hopefully we have some observers out on the Waitemata or at the Viaduct Basin.

They were scheduled to sail today but in early afternoon the westerly was 23 knots steady state and gusting to 30. It would have been a good opportunity for testing upper limits for launching if they chose to take it. They seem pretty confident about handling those conditions once clear of the berth.

#50 kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:38 AM

Third hand observation from crew.nz "After a interesting start and not flying its centre hull regularly untill the rangi channel TVS (ORMA 60) eventually managed to hunt down the AC45. The AC45 had at least a 200m lead passing north head, but once TVS got its main hull out of the water regularly it hunted the AC45 down in no time and never looked back.

#51 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:44 AM

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10702817

Was at Viaduct 30 mins ago. Boat in the shed, Wing being repaired.

Very blustery on the water today.

But Jane and Gilles running around.

#52 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:27 AM

Third hand observation from crew.nz "After a interesting start and not flying its centre hull regularly untill the rangi channel TVS (ORMA 60) eventually managed to hunt down the AC45. The AC45 had at least a 200m lead passing north head, but once TVS got its main hull out of the water regularly it hunted the AC45 down in no time and never looked back.

Here's a good pic from my Anniversary Day jaunt on the water:

Attached Files

#53 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:33 AM

Sweeeet!

#54 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:41 AM

Great pix. Thanx.

I note the 45 is not flying a jib in this shot. Broke something, perhaps, or just taking it easy.

Good to hear they made it out there. Can't wait to get their take on how it went.

#55 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • Interests:BOC Challenge 90-91, 94-95, Around Alone 98, Whitbread 93-94, 97-98, America's Cup 2000.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

OK so who would win the race per the current AC34 course layout?

#56 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:53 AM

I'm thinking ORMA 60- they said they were favored in heavier air when they could fly 2 hulls and ac45 in lighter conditions when the jib was used

No substitute for LWL given enough power

#57 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

nice shot

remember the ac45 is not designed to sail the ac34 course

that's the job of the ac72's

which will presumably eat an orma60 over their designed course

the ac45 is more a vx40+

for closer, tighter, "view from the docks" racing

#58 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

And why does this really matter in the context of the AC ?

#59 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

Nice! this and more at SW here

Posted Image

The prototype AC45 was put through her paces again today on Auckland's Waitemata Harbour during the Oceanbridge Anniversary Regatta. Winds in the harbour were recorded at a peak average of 29kts with gusts recorded at 35kts. Not sure what speed the AC45 hit in these images, however she looks fast and wet...

#60 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

In a new GMR folder

http://www.americasc...gf98p96n17.html

#61 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

that's looking about terminal velocity for a reach

wonder if it cracked 30?

Attached Files

#62 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

I note the 45 is not flying a jib in this shot. Broke something, perhaps, or just taking it easy.

We followed AC45 closely before she rounded North Head with jib unfurled. About 15 mins before the pic was taken I heard a loud crack! Could have been caused by an unusually load halyard slap against the wing -- or something entirely different.

#63 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

TK said the wing's in the shed getting fixed...

#64 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

There look as if there are some big moments in those photos. Do we start a sweepstake on who will be the first to go over the handlebars? I go for ML, if they are allowed on it without any OR guys ;)

#65 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Boats with wings are cool, just plain cool

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Allow me to add another dimension to the photo of Vodafone...

B

#66 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

8th & 9th pictures would show a huge amount of racking. Like I said, not necessarily bad, if designed in.

#67 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

8th & 9th pictures would show a huge amount of racking. Like I said, not necessarily bad, if designed in.

That amount of racking is not good, but probably unavoidable given the huge stresses the frame is under in those conditions. Check out the twist in the wing. It's what happens when the bow goes down: the boat slows down, the apparent wind goes aft quickly and the rig loads up big time. On any other catamaran, you blow the traveller (spinnaker boats) and/or sheet (non-spin boats) to take the pressure off, but I don't think they can do that quickly enough on these.

#68 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

if the cracks that were heard were wing

then fine, beef if it up

but if it was the beam and mounts of the ac45...

houston, we may have a problem

the pics show god-awful wracking

for a boat half the length

and quarter the size

of the big dog

guess we'll know

by how long it stays in the shed

#69 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

B

thanks blunty

when the usa and oz

going to get over their fear

of the old men in blazers?

#70 nautichic

nautichic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

B

Were you on the water taking the footage?

#71 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

if the cracks that were heard were wing

then fine, beef if it up

but if it was the beam and mounts of the ac45...

houston, we may have a problem

the pics show god-awful wracking

for a boat half the length

and quarter the size

of the big dog

guess we'll know

by how long it stays in the shed

Repent Reset before it's too late! This - vv - is plenty big enough for the Cup boat.

Posted Image

#72 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Reset?

Please - its a prototype boat that they are TRYING to break in order to find its limits. Better it break now than when its in the hands of one of the competitors.

For as quick they designed and built this thing, I'm surprised that there haven't been MORE problems.

Are you one of the people who said that DZ was going to twist herself apart on the Med right before the starting gun? The shit is piling up so high in here I need a snorkel to get a breath of air.

#73 hiroller

hiroller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

http://www.oraclerac...cord-fallen_688

31.01.11 Debate rages on Monday among the ORACLE Racing AC 45 test crew as to who holds the top speed record.

Murray “The Captain” Jones is trying to maintain his hold on the title with a 28-knot top speed from his day on the helm last week.

Jimmy Spithill is confident he shattered the record today.

But some mystery surrounds today’s top speeds thought by some on the test crew to have easily broken the 30-knot barrier. However mysteriously enough the speedo on board the boat wasn’t working today.

One crew member thought The Captain was seen fiddling with the speedo and strangely it only seemed to work upwind today.

But the numbers will be retrieved overnight from the GPS logbook… So stayed tuned and we will find out who has bragging rights tomorrow.

#74 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

An account at ac.com
--

Pushing the limit

There were heavy conditions on the Hauraki Gulf on Monday and many of the city’s boating community were out on the water for the Anniversary Day Regatta, an annual tradition that dates back to 1840 - older than the America's Cup itself.

Given the opportunity to push the limits, the AC45 test crew put the boat through its paces in the strongest breeze to date.

“It was big breeze today – a good day for us,” said Matt Mason. “We pressed the boat as hard as we have so a real good test for it.

"We put the bow in a couple of times at 30 knots and loaded everything up. We were on our toes the whole time and it was great for the boat and the crew to come out of it relatively unscathed.”

The boat received some minor damage to the trailing edge of the wing in the first gybe of the day out of the Viaduct Harbour but nothing to get in the way of a 30-mile sail in up to 30 knots as the crew opted for a circumnavigation of the iconic Rangitoto Island.

Skipper Jimmy Spithill said sailing in 25-30 knots of wind speed was, "a hell of a test for the boat. We were right on the edge.”

ACRM boat captain Troy Tindill was happy to see the shore support crew handle the craning out of the boat in 30 knots. “It was good to know we can manage the boat at these upper limits.”

More photos from the day can be found here.

- Jane Eagleson

#75 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

I am extremely happy the cup is in SF and the action will be fantastic but I am also extremely happy to see the AC45's coming out of the shed and being sailed brutally by the boys. Now were back to racing and not debating wind limitations.

The hulls are performing flawlessly so far and the wing is beyond expectation in ease of handling and overall performance.

SF bay will not fail to produce the racing we all want to see in these conditions.

#76 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

I am extremely happy the cup is in SF and the action will be fantastic but I am also extremely happy to see the AC45's coming out of the shed and being sailed brutally by the boys.

JS: "a hell of a test for the boat. We were right on the edge."

Coming from him I believe it. The photos suggest it was howling out there. They must have just thrashed that boat - wow.

More like offshore / Orma 60 conditions than for the more 'delicate' AC45... I know which one I would have been more comfortable on.

#77 lesburn1

lesburn1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:A-Cats and 18Sq meters and now AC more then before...

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

I like that they can put a few guys on the "back porch" to keep the bows from going under.

Posted Image

Photo from http://2.bp.blogspot...NZ1D15_6883.jpg

#78 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Great pix. Thanx.

Good to hear they made it out there. Can't wait to get their take on how it went.

I've certainly seen quotes were the designers basically say the heads'ls are there to give the design it's bottom end (>3 kn) performance.
Wasn't it concluded that DZ had a wind speed crossover point above which the head'ls no longer contributed to boat speed?
Though the AC45 certainly has heads'ls flying at times on Anniversary Day - despite the high winds.
In Blunted's vid it looks like the AC45 is just wallowing in a couple of shots.
Sounds like they broke stuff.

Thanks for the updates

#79 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Flying sea monsters

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I was down near the water in Devonport as they came down the harbour, the AC45 was absolutely unreal on that particular point of sail (seemed like a deep reach in a fair bit of wind).
They came into view round Devonport wharf and it was about a minute and they were out of view around the head, crazy crazy speed and looked really slick doing it to!
they were leaving Vodafone well behind although it was a totally different story on the beam reach after they went round North Head, big V hauled them in by the far end of Rangitoto.

Does anyone know if Vodafone broke something coming back up the harbour?
They bore away momentarily and took of with heaps of spray flying, then came to an abrupt halt, dropped the headsails and basically nursed it the rest of the way up the harbour.

#80 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Posted Image

Re damage to AC45 (not Vodaphone)
They say they damaged the back edge of the wing leaving the Viaduct and that it's now under repair. I can't see an sign of anything obvious although the angle between the lower and middle flaps seems a bit more acute in some shots than previously seen.

#81 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I don't think you're meant to see a 20 degrees "fold" at the joint between panels.

#82 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

I don't think you're meant to see a 20 degrees "fold" at the joint between panels.

Sorry, but I think you are! That looks to me like they have twisted the rig to its max. Somewhere there is some footage of Steve Clark showing the twist on Cogito and that is what it looked like!

#83 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

The picture's not clear enough, but might be the control horn separated from the flaps, at least partially. Looks like flaps are still cambered from above and below, but not at that level.

#84 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image

Re damage to AC45 (not Vodaphone)
They say they damaged the back edge of the wing leaving the Viaduct and that it's now under repair. I can't see an sign of anything obvious although the angle between the lower and middle flaps seems a bit more acute in some shots than previously seen.

This is a great shot, looks like theire puuting on the brakes or about to do an endo... awesome... and maybe a bit scary.

#85 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

as a kiwi i'm biased

but the whole auckland thing is doing it for me far more than the bullshit that was RAK

or even handbag certified valencia

real winds

real sea-states

real sailing culture that even pre-dates the cup

excellent reporting from a wide variety of impeccably informed sources

even sailing around rangitoto is as close to the first race's lap of the isle of wight as you are likely to get

and knowing that san fran is very similar just does it all for me

this build and sail gig should be replicated in sydney too

surely someone there can beg a set of molds or a kit

and build and test another boat in sydney harbour

and why not melbourne...

#86 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

as a kiwi i'm biased

but the whole auckland thing is doing it for me far more than the bullshit that was RAK

or even handbag certified valencia

real winds

real sea-states

real sailing culture that even pre-dates the cup

excellent reporting from a wide variety of impeccably informed sources

even sailing around rangitoto is as close to the first race's lap of the isle of wight as you are likely to get

and knowing that san fran is very similar just does it all for me

this build and sail gig should be replicated in sydney too

surely someone there can beg a set of molds or a kit

and build and test another boat in sydney harbour

and why not melbourne...

..what, and take work away from our guys??Posted Image

#87 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

in sydney people still remember the very first of the big beach cats, the nacra R36, blasting around the harbour in the late 70's? early 80's

even more so than auckland the harbour there is the centre of the city and what happens there gets noticed

but if you wanted the one-eyed aussies to really get behind you would want it to be build and tested by locals

preferably young surfer dudes as appears to be the case in warkworth

video below is a bit of a nacra advertisement but watch for the wing on the 18m2 at the end

#88 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Yes, I have pictures of the repair being made.

Not major. Involves "refilming" about 18" of wing along the trailing edge of the lower element.

In other words, the bottom of the wing - trailing edge.

The repair guy has all his kit in horse float type trailer that goes right into the shed at 101 Halsey.

#89 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

I am extremely happy the cup is in SF and the action will be fantastic but I am also extremely happy to see the AC45's coming out of the shed and being sailed brutally by the boys.

JS: "a hell of a test for the boat. We were right on the edge."

Coming from him I believe it. The photos suggest it was howling out there. They must have just thrashed that boat - wow.

More like offshore / Orma 60 conditions than for the more 'delicate' AC45... I know which one I would have been more comfortable on.

All true!

I was down there yesterday.

Blowing like snot! And too cool for a kiwi summer.

But lovely day today.

#90 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

Eric ... agreed!

It was gutsy of them to go out yesterday.

And even more mad to take off around Rangitoto.

The poor bastards in the RIB's had a hard time keeping up.

But, when Gilles stepped off the boat, he had his usual "impecable French gentleman" look.

I would say they have confidence in the wing.

#91 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

Not major. Involves "refilming" about 18" of wing along the trailing edge of the lower element.

The repair guy has all his kit in horse float type trailer that goes right into the shed at 101 Halsey.

By the twist I was thinking along the lines that Xlot posted, that maybe a twist control line to the flap 1 / 2 batwing had snapped while breaking some fitting or other. And maybe it did. But a slack runner piece could have been flying around too, or been whipped into the wing during the gybe, cutting the film?

I hope we get an explanation, glad nobody got hurt and it was non-serious enough they could press on.

#92 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Boats with wings are cool, just plain cool

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

More from the viaduct... Ahhhh, ??????????

New weather mark for the AC45 course?

Attached File  RD-you-r-the-one.jpg   194.59K   37 downloads

#93 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:21 AM

i can see the beak!

#94 meanermachine

meanermachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:21 AM

By the twist I was thinking along the lines that Xlot posted, that maybe a twist control line to the flap 1 / 2 batwing had snapped while breaking some fitting or other. And maybe it did. But a slack runner piece could have been flying around too, or been whipped into the wing during the gybe, cutting the film?

I hope we get an explanation, glad nobody got hurt and it was non-serious enough they could press on.

It looks like the front edge of the lower trailing edge got knocked slightly out of place? rather than the join at the top of the lower element? just a thought

#95 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

It looks like the front edge of the lower trailing edge got knocked slightly out of place? rather than the join at the top of the lower element? just a thought

Don't think so, that's the 'boom', and you couldn't keep sailing if its hinge had failed.

As for the 1 / 2 batwing, doesn't it look almost fully cambered (i.e. if it rotated more it would hit the lead element rib), while flaps there definitely aren't?

#96 bullock

bullock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

Was on TVodafoneSailing and I must say we were really impressed with the way the AC45 handled the conditions, notwithstanding it had some of the best in the world on board. But guess we showed you cant beat stability even with tallent. 18.3m beam ought to do it.

Their wing issue was a minor ding from a leward runner not eased quickly enough I believe.

The reason they only had the wing on the reach out the harbour was that they didnt need any more grunt acording to JS, not a damage issue. He also commented that it would have probably been quicker with just a jib running down the back of Rangi but they wanted to give it a good workout. And by a couple of the "stuffings" we saw they sure did that.

Very impressed also with the low speed manouverings and controlled backups while just messing around. I suggest that there will be a whole set of new manouvers developed in AC 34 which will make the head to wind lead mines, look old hat. Does overtaking boat keep clear if you are in reverse?

Yeeeehaa bring on the AC72's they are going to be quite something in 25knts of air.

Must be some serious bets going down on who will be the first to have a whoopsy in these things though!!!:rolleyes: Just keep those wings coming please!!!!

#97 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

Very impressed also with the low speed manouverings and controlled backups while just messing around. I suggest that there will be a whole set of new manouvers developed in AC 34 which will make the head to wind lead mines, look old hat. Does overtaking boat keep clear if you are in reverse?

Thanks. Good to get some first-hand input from the Vodaphone tri.

And your comments about manoeuvring confirm something I've believed ever since watching USA 17 testing the wing on her first outing in San Diego. I'm amazed how many sailors have been wringing their hands about tactics and pre-starts. They'll be different fer sure, but won't be dull.

#98 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

So according to the latest blog post, in 30knots of breeze the gps only read 29.9 knots max speed.

I have to say that I'm not so impressed with that. I've done 27 knots on my Nacra 20 with soft sails and half and some as long.

Methinks she needs some more top end. Seems to me that they built it to powerup in the light stuff (low geared) but the top end is rev-limited.

Just pure speculation on my part of course.

#99 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

I have to say that I'm not so impressed with that. I've done 27 knots on my Nacra 20

Hmm ... you sure that wasn't while towing it on the road trailer?

Posted Image

(that was Alpha, BTW)

#100 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

So according to the latest blog post, in 30knots of breeze the gps only read 29.9 knots max speed.

I have to say that I'm not so impressed with that. I've done 27 knots on my Nacra 20 with soft sails and half and some as long.

Methinks she needs some more top end. Seems to me that they built it to powerup in the light stuff (low geared) but the top end is rev-limited.

Just pure speculation on my part of course.

Another 'disappointed' fan?

Has your Nacra also got afterburners? (1:10)

A little local colour while we wait for the pro video

Look Ma', no Ribs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users