3717 replies to this topic

#601 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

ETNZ is going to have at least one rib that will be used for the ETNZ/Camper VOR70 campaign. It is probably that as the VOR70 must be very close to hitting the water.

The Camper travel lift is ready.

Shoebie says April for the splash.

I went up to Hillside Ave (Cooksons) to see the Volvo boat. .

But they are so busy with AC45 hulls I felt like an intruder and left.

TNZ will sail the Volvo boat around NZ and ordinary citizens will get a look.

Shoebie, Dalts and all the blokes who want to sail in the Volvo (but cannot) will go on the boat during the Aotearoa sojourn.

Chris Nicholson and Stu Bannatyne know what to expect. Adam Minoprio is getting ready!

50 knots at 3 a.m. in the southern ocean and time to put up a spinnaker.

Yooks!

Hi TK, was it "Camper" on the ?TNZ support boat you saw yesterday or not?

#602 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

That bare away looked like a high pucker factor turn. Is that pretty standard to dig the leeward hull in that far?

#603 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

No ... not Camper.

#604 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

No ... not Camper.

One of these Posted Image??
Attached File  audi-logo.jpg   25.5K   0 downloadsAttached File  bmw-logo_100167022_l.jpg   55.7K   0 downloads

#605 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

That's fantastic news about ?TNZ as it means they are in!!

I think TNZ will be in even if Dalts has to power it with Vegemite, No. 8 wire and Rush Munroes ice cream.

The logos I am talking about (e.g. Gill clothing) will not be big guys with naming rights.

There are some pretty obvious candidates in the "big guys" dept and Dalts is off talking to them.

If you were a syndicate CEO and AC discourse was dominated by a US software coy (i.e. Oracle) who would you talk too?

Therein lies the biggest answers to sponsorship questions.

Gill have been an Exclusive Supplier to ETNZ for a while now.

#606 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

I think TNZ will be in even if Dalts has to power it with Vegemite, No. 8 wire and Rush Munroes ice cream.

The logos I am talking about (e.g. Gill clothing) will not be big guys with naming rights.

There are some pretty obvious candidates in the "big guys" dept and Dalts is off talking to them.

If you were a syndicate CEO and AC discourse was dominated by a US software coy (i.e. Oracle) who would you talk too?

Let me guess... Oracle New Zealand?Posted Image

#607 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

Let me guess... Oracle New Zealand?Posted Image

SAP - with a solid history of sailing sponsorship I think even with TNZ - would be an awesome coup.

#608 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

how about either "iTNZ" or "iZealand"

#609 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

I have no idea how other syndicates secure sponsors.

But, in Dalts case, he pretty well asks everyone he meets.

That is how he got Emirates. From a conversation on the sidelines at a Saturday morning game.

He also takes careful note of who is having their super-yacht built in Aotearoa. Some (like Matteo) have very good feelings about kiwis and their work ethic. And like to see NZ succeed.

As well, his own team members whisper in his ear. The foreigners in TNZ sometimes reinforce what offshore (and onshore) supporters are telling him. If you were a Canadian A-cat maestro in TNZ thinking of rich guys at home, what would you be saying?

Or, like in the case of Estrella Damm, a sponsor gets referred across from someone who, for various circumstances, cannot use their services.

Add in the fact the next show involves the WS series and then SF. Just near SF is Silicon Valley jammed with walking-talking nerds.

If you are not from Silicon Valley but competing with what is made there, you will definitely want to be out and about with a winning AC syndicate.

#610 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

That is how he got Emirates. From a conversation on the sidelines at a Saturday morning game.

He also takes careful note of who is having their super-yacht built in Aotearoa. Some (like Matteo) have very good feelings about kiwis and their work ethic. And like to see NZ succeed.

As well, his own team members whisper in his ear. The foreigners in TNZ sometimes reinforce what offshore (and onshore) supporters are telling him. If you were a Canadian A-cat maestro in TNZ thinking of rich guys at home, what would you be saying?

Or, like in the case of Estrella Damm, a sponsor gets referred across from someone who, for various circumstances, cannot use their services.

Add in the fact the next show involves the WS series and then SF. Just near SF is Silicon Valley jammed with walking-talking nerds.

If you are not from Silicon Valley but competing with what is made there, you will definitely want to be out and about with a winning AC syndicate.

A 100m$ billboard on a boat is not an efficient way to expand a business.Posted Image

#611 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

A 100m$ billboard on a boat is not an efficient way to expand a business.Posted Image

OK ... so Emirates are full of shit?

#612 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

:)

Attached Files

#613 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

OK ... so Emirates are full of shit?

Who are Emirates sponsoring in AC34?

#614 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

How about you take a really wild guess at the answer to that?

#615 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

Actually I suspect it would be a very bad call for an IT competitor to Oracle/SV to sponsor a challenger team because if they finish behind Oracle it is a poor outcome for the bucks so I guess it is better to look for non-IT company to sponsor unless they are an Oracle subsidiary.Posted Image

#616 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

How about you take a really wild guess at the answer to that?

Point me to the news release? So far as I'm aware the answer is that they're not sponsors for AC34.Posted Image

#617 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

And your advertising/publicity credentials for major corporations are?

#618 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

Actually I suspect it would be a very bad call for an IT competitor to Oracle/SV to sponsor a challenger team because if they finish behind Oracle it is a poor outcome for the bucks so I guess it is better to look for non-IT company to sponsor unless they are an Oracle subsidiary.Posted Image

It can show you can play in the same league.

Not all IT companies play in the same space anyway. Take Apple, Google and Oracle - they are not really competitors for customers, just competitors in success.

#619 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

They were very happy with AC32.

Then they sponsored the NZ TP52 boat - which won the festival.

The Emirates logo is plastered all over TNZ property.

When I last saw the NZ boss of Emirates it was at a TNZ BBQ.

And he was chatty and cheerful.

Jeez, it is a hard question to answer.

But will be on the final exam.

#620 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Ah, so no room for other Silicon Valley corporate sponsors in the AC because Oracle is selling products in ALL facets of IT, Telecom, gaming, computer hardware, software design, etc.?

#621 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

They were very happy with AC32.

Then they sponsored the NZ TP52 boat - which won the festival.

The Emirates logo is plastered all over TNZ property.

When I last saw the NZ boss of Emirates it was at a TNZ BBQ.

And he was chatty and cheerful.

Jeez, it is a hard question to answer.

But will be on the final exam.

Happy, chatty and cheerful does not confirm them as sponsors for AC34.Posted Image

#622 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Ah, so no room for other Silicon Valley corporate sponsors in the AC because Oracle is selling products in ALL facets of IT, Telecom, gaming, computer hardware, software design, etc.?

Not what I wrote. I suggested that it might be an easier sell to find a sponsor outside IT because OR are in a dominant position both in cash and technology.

#623 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Just suggesting 100m$ might be better spent. It's a lot of advertising $ in a recession. Maybe a bank could afford to back an AC team?

#624 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

Not what I wrote. I suggested that it might be an easier sell to find a sponsor outside IT because OR are in a dominant position both in cash and technology.

And yet, the point is that this AC will be right in the heart of this realm of technology, with many other companies dealing with billions of dollars, and huge publicity/advertising budgets, not to mention the AC being (and I hate the term) consistent with the "Green" movement so en vogue in that part of the world, as well as Europe (with its masses of sailing fans). Then you have the fact that this AC will be raced within easy view of millions of people on land, as will all the lead up races. AND, the lead up races now provide advertisers a much more prolonged exposure. Fact of the matter, this AC presents more opportunity for AC advertisers than EVER before, and by a very wide margin. Such is exactly what was stated as the reason the Peyron brothers postponed their plans for The Race to participate in the AC.

#625 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

And yet, the point is that this AC will be right in the heart of this realm of technology, with many other companies dealing with billions of dollars, and huge publicity/advertising budgets, not to mention the AC being (and I hate the term) consistent with the "Green" movement so en vogue in that part of the world, as well as Europe (with its masses of sailing fans). Then you have the fact that this AC will be raced within easy view of millions of people on land, as will all the lead up races. AND, the lead up races now provide advertisers a much more prolonged exposure. Fact of the matter, this AC presents more opportunity for AC advertisers than EVER before, and by a very wide margin. Such is exactly what was stated as the reason the Peyron brothers postponed their plans for The Race to participate in the AC.

100m$ buys a lot of sponsorship or advertising anywhere. Why put it in sailing? Why not soccer? Much more publicity there. Especially in Europe. AC34 will get relatively small exposure for the money. Soccer is massive.

#626 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

Just suggesting 100m$ might be better spent. It's a lot of advertising $ in a recession. Maybe a bank could afford to back an AC team?

Certainly not an unlikely possibility. Last time I checked, there were a few banks headquartered in California. Think Visa, Wells Fargo Bank, Charles Schwab, etc., right there on the Bay.

#627 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

Certainly not an unlikely possibility. Last time I checked, there were a few banks headquartered in California. Think Visa, Wells Fargo Bank, Charles Schwab, etc., right there on the Bay.

Most US banks are still reeling from the real estate debacle. Extremely doubtful . Check this mornings L.A times for details . They would be better off getting sponsorship from a pot growers combine. They are very near Humbolt country :)

#628 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

100m$ buys a lot of sponsorship or advertising anywhere. Why put it in sailing? Why not soccer? Much more publicity there. Especially in Europe. AC34 will get relatively small exposure for the money. Soccer is massive.

Might this comment relate to your passionate opinion that this AC is going to suck? The opinion that it is small exposure for the money, historically speaking, is only because the AC has only ever involved a few rich guys, sailing terribly slow boats that are always obsolete, way offshore, and on a completely unpredictable schedule, but always only involving a few days of actual visual presentation every few years. Hmmm, what things have the current organizers tried to change? Like I said, Peyron had his plans for The Race until he realized the AC finally presented an opportunity that it never had before. This AC, particularly with the ACWS, the LVS, and hopefully a defenders series will present close-up racing on the fastest boats with great spectator opportunities, and a frequent / predictable schedule.

#629 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Most US banks are still reeling from the real estate debacle. Extremely doubtful . Check this mornings L.A times for details . They would be better off getting sponsorship from a pot growers combine. They are very near Humbolt country :)

Some banks have been doing extremely well (even without the Government kick-backs). They still seem to be doing plenty of ads for other sporting events.

#630 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

Word is that the Humbolt County pot growers association has already targeted the Marijuana 90 fleet as their marketing vehicle, but can't find anyone looking for a sponsor.

#631 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Word is that the Humbolt County pot growers association has already targeted the Marijuana 90 fleet as their marketing vehicle, but can't find anyone looking for a sponsor.

AC34 needs the sponsors. Ellison will soon have to use his international subsidiaries to sponsor each challenger. I guess that makes it international? Something like have all the boats built in his factory in NZ? Respect to the Deed.Posted Image

#632 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

AC34 needs the sponsors. Ellison will soon have to use his international subsidiaries to sponsor each challenger. I guess that makes it international? Something like have all the boats built in his factory in NZ? Respect to the Deed.Posted Image

For once you might just have a valid point dirtbag. The 34th AC has challengers, the Marijuana 90 regatta has none, but that makes sense because no one will even own up to the event, including the mystery designer.

#633 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:16 AM

I wish the best to TNZ but I am not very optimistic. If GD is outside looking for sponsors that means that he has little or no hope to find it in NZ. Now, finding 100 M $ budget in a foreign country looks quite impossible.
It's already difficult a team to find a budget in its own country, finding it in another country is a nearly impossible challenge. We don't speak of a budget for X40 here...
As for a bank or a company in the Silicon Valley, it's a dream more than anything else.

#634 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

I wish the best to TNZ but I am not very optimistic. If GD is outside looking for sponsors that means that he has little or no hope to find it in NZ. Now, finding 100 M $ budget in a foreign country looks quite impossible.
It's already difficult a team to find a budget in its own country, finding it in another country is a nearly impossible challenge. We don't speak of a budget for X40 here...
As for a bank or a company in the Silicon Valley, it's a dream more than anything else.

Why?

Seriously, can you say that you could not imagine a Charles Schwab and/or Visa entry? A $25-50 Million AC campaign investment that runs three years is not exactly a bank-buster for companies like that. Hell, that's not much more than a couple Super-bowl adds per year.

#635 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

Just down the shoreline from where DZ pulled up.

Posted Image

#636 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

Why?

Seriously, can you say that you could not imagine a Charles Schwab and/or Visa entry? A $25-50 Million AC campaign investment that runs three years is not exactly a bank-buster for companies like that. Hell, that's not much more than a couple Super-bowl adds per year.

I'm thinking that there might be one or two more people that will see those super bowl adds. On another note banks have much bigger fish to fry at the moment .

A sample of todays posts for example

Reporting from Washington and Los Angeles — Federal and state officials are analyzing proposals that could help people who lost their homes or missed mortgage payments as a key part in resolving a multibillion-dollar case over botched foreclosure paperwork.

Government negotiators are wrestling with banks and their mortgage servicing arms over the amount of the settlement — from $5 billion to $20 billion — and then must decide how best to use the money.

Another proposal, they said, would force major servicers, including Bank of America Corp. and Wells Fargo & Co., to provide a total of $20 billion to reduce principal on troubled mortgages — and eat the costs, not pass them on to mortgage investors.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Los Angeles) said $20 billion for principal write-downs was not enough money, given the scope of the problem.

Bank of America and Wells Fargo executives also declined to comment. But Wells said the bank already has written off more than $3.8 billion in principal on troubled mortgages.

A coalition of 30 state and local liberal groups, such as People Improving Communities through Organizing and the Service Employees International Union, said they would deliver petitions to attorneys general in nine states demanding a large settlement with tough conditions.

For those who lost their homes through what the coalition called "fraudulent or criminal behavior," the group wants financial restitution for the full market value of the home or return of the property if it hasn't been sold.

#637 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:36 AM

Why?

One of the reason I see is why would they support a foreign team like, for example, TNZ. They don't even do it for a second US defender team.
It will be very interesting to see if this AC34 works. If it is a success it will be the triomph of RC vision and sponsorship for sailing. If not, that would mean that an AC is too expensive for the sponsors, even with a class (which is supposed to reduce the costs) and we would come back to an AC fueled by billionaire ego.
The question is: can the AC be a rational investment or is it a billionnaire ego trip?

#638 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

No matter how crappy conditions go in banking, there will be banks with money trying to promote themselves. The AC could be a part of it. I see the AC being part of a larger add campaign that uses images of their beautiful boats ripping along in beautiful close-to-shore racing arenas . . . those images used in ads played during the Masters, or Wimbledon, or the Olympics, playing to a world market, not just in the team nation's market. In that way, you could see an international corporation sponsoring TNZ, for instance, as they would be a very competitive team. Then think about that investment that could last several years, all over the world, compared to a 30-second slot in the Super Bowl.

#639 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

I wish the best to TNZ but I am not very optimistic. If GD is outside looking for sponsors that means that he has little or no hope to find it in NZ.

There were no significant (i.e. very big) kiwi sponsors in 2007.

In a country of only 4 mill GD has to look offshore.

Even a Spanish shoe company would be ok.

Stay calm! TNZ will have offshore sponsors.

#640 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

No matter how crappy conditions go in banking, there will be banks with money trying to promote themselves. The AC could be a part of it. I see the AC being part of a larger add campaign that uses images of their beautiful boats ripping along in beautiful close-to-shore racing arenas . . . those images used in ads played during the Masters, or Wimbledon, or the Olympics, playing to a world market, not just in the team nation's market. In that way, you could see an international corporation sponsoring TNZ, for instance, as they would be a very competitive team. Then think about that investment that could last several years, all over the world, compared to a 30-second slot in the Super Bowl.

The main argument that Peyron gave was that the previous AC were sailed during around 4 days while the new one will be on 200 days (I think that is the number he gave). It will be interesting to see how it sells to sponsors.

#641 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:56 AM

From now on the logistics on Halsey St get interesting.

Thus far there is only one AC45 crane in the vicinity and it is operated by ACRM.

However, hulls are easily wheeled along flat ground and a couple of kids could push a wing along on its trundlers.

So, will other syndicates use the ACRM crane?

Although ACRM plans to have several boats on moorings I cannot see GD leaving his boat there too long.

There are probably enough sheds on Halsey St to accommodate 5 or so boats + their wings.

Now his Version 5 boats are gone, GD has the room and, as a friendly gesture, might let someone use a shed. However, with all the containers out front and Camper arriving soon, these would be temporary arrangements.

The massive construction works on Halsey Street will now be an impediment, not an asset.

At 101 Halsey there is room for 1 boat and 1 wing.

However, irrespective of how this is managed, it will be thrill to see these winged craft racing on the gulf.

I have a mate who owns a waterfront house next to Dicko's place at the foot of Tiri St (or is it Ave?) and look forward to a grandstand seat.

#642 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

That bare away looked like a high pucker factor turn. Is that pretty standard to dig the leeward hull in that far?

Yes during lee bow reserve buoyancy testing. Passed

#643 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Looks like you all in NZ can expect Team Oracle back on the boat next week, according to Kostecki.

#644 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

Cool yer jets, mate. Dalts does not share your pessimisim.

#645 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Like I said GD needs to be talking to Oracle New Zealand. They are the guys with money and an interest in sailing.Posted Image

#646 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

The plot thickens.
FV have received a statement from ML, to the effect that:

"As a result of the draw, the first AC45 will go to Artemis, the second to the yet un-named team, the third to Oracle and the fourth to ML"

#647 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

the un-named team

sounds like prince

the team formerly known as etnz?

#648 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

The plot thickens.

"As a result of the draw, the first AC45 will go to Artemis, the second to the yet un-named team, the third to Oracle and the fourth to ML"

Wouldn't the big news here be the fact that ML is getting one at all? According to the gossip(ers) they can't afford a cup of tea let alone a new $600,000 boat.

also

Artemis Racing wraps up first training period
Tuesday, March 01, 2011

http://www.americascup.com/blog

#649 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

The plot thickens.

Wouldn't the big news here be the fact that ML is getting one at all? According to the gossip(ers) they can't afford a cup of tea let alone a new $600,000 boat.

also

Artemis Racing wraps up first training period
Tuesday, March 01, 2011

http://www.americascup.com/blog

Yep. Who's paying?

#650 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

The plot thickens.

Certainly - moving this to the Possible Challengers thread

#651 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

The plot thickens.

Certainly - moving this to the Possible Challengers thread

^^^^^^^^^
Posted Image
Now ya makin' me larf.

#652 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Like I said GD needs to be talking to Oracle New Zealand. They are the guys with money and an interest in sailing.Posted Image

Is it possible for you to make a post without a cute little smiley emoticon?

#653 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

^^^^^^^^
Like this?
Posted Image

#654 hiroller

hiroller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:07 AM

So are there any actual updates from the Viaduct?
Who's sailing this week, has the next boat shown up yet?
I go away for a week and anarchists who should know better have totally hijacked the thread.

#655 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:44 AM

I go away for a week and anarchists who should know better have totally hijacked the thread.

There are some pretty good updates at americascup.com but basically: 4 boats are being delivered all this week, one report has them going to (in order because of how they drew the numbers last week) Artemis, TNZ, OR and ML. It could be two weeks before they have them painted, assembled, fitted and up sailing. More boats will follow.

We don't yet know who if anyone will be sailing the trainer boat this week, the teams down there might be too preoccupied with their own boats.

#656 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:00 AM

That's accurate confirmation of a total moron posting when its done 99% of the time.

#657 Catatonic

Catatonic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Hobie cats, Sailing in general, Ice boats, tits.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

There are some pretty good updates at americascup.com but basically: 4 boats are being delivered all this week, one report has them going to (in order because of how they drew the numbers last week) Artemis, TNZ, OR and ML. It could be two weeks before they have them painted, assembled, fitted and up sailing. More boats will follow.

We don't yet know who if anyone will be sailing the trainer boat this week, the teams down there might be too preoccupied with their own boats.

I thought I had read somewhere that OR had the training boat this week.

#658 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

That's accurate confirmation of a total moron posting when its done 99% of the time.

Yep. You get the image of some full-blown wanker sitting in the dim light of his parents' basement cracking himself up with his "gotcha" posts.

#659 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Yep. You get the image of some full-blown wanker sitting in the dim light of his parents' basement cracking himself up with his "gotcha" posts.

Gentlemen, gentlemen .... while I can easily imagine a full-blown wanker approaching a start box, it is OFF message.

This thread is for news from the Viaduct.

Where boats are arriving, moorings are being set and syndicate bosses are discussing ways to retrieve, launch and store AC45s for which they are paying good money.

TNZ are right next to 101 Halsey and I am guessing they will pull their boat over to the ACRM crane (which is run by a TNZ bloke). On trundlers both boat and wing are easily pushed/pulled across a flat surface.

At the moment several containers occupy the TNZ forecourt but, once Camper is delivered, there will be some reorganisation out front.

March to June, 2011 will be very interesting at the Viaduct. Until AC45s are put into containers and shipped to the northern summer and mystery destination in Europe.

In NZ it has been the hottest February in a very long time.

Can anyone think of good reasons as to why ACRM has not yet publicly announced WS venues?

Syndicates know the candidates. But why not tell the unwashed proletariat?

#660 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Gentlemen, gentlemen .... while I can easily imagine a full-blown wanker approaching a start box, it is OFF message.

Where boats are arriving, moorings are being set and syndicate bosses are discussing ways to retrieve, launch and store AC45s for which they are paying good money.

TNZ are right next to 101 Halsey and I am guessing they will pull their boat over to the ACRM crane (which is run by a TNZ bloke). On trundlers both boat and wing are easily pushed/pulled across a flat surface.

At the moment several containers occupy the TNZ forecourt but, once Camper is delivered, there will be some reorganisation out front.

March to June, 2011 will be very interesting at the Viaduct. Until AC45s are put into containers and shipped to the northern summer and mystery destination in Europe.

Can anyone think of good reasons as to why ACRM has not yet publicly announced WS venues?

Thanks for pulling this back to real life on the Viaduct. I am guessing I am not alone when I say I scan this thread several times a day hoping to see a post from you indicating there is a new 45' winged cat with SWEET, non-generic colors and graphics getting rigged up. Thanks for your updates.

#661 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Probably because details are still being ironed out, and/or final selection may be based on ongoing potential challenger discussions.

#662 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Probably because details are still being ironed out, and/or final selection may be based on ongoing potential challenger discussions.

I don't know all the details of the situation in Spain, but could it also be something similar to what has happened with the VOR, where the organizers and teams were waiting for some tax issues to be reconciled prior to making any kind of public announcements?

#663 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for pulling this back to real life on the Viaduct.

I must have missed it . . . do we have visual confirmation of who got the first two boats - Artemis and TNZ or . . . .??

#664 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

I must have missed it . . . do we have visual confirmation of who got the first two boats - Artemis and TNZ or . . . .??

More importantly, what's likely to happen to the trial-horse AC45 once all the new ones are assigned? It will, after all, be a second-hand, capsized-once cat: might it end up in a Trademe auction perhaps? Posted Image

#665 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

More importantly, what's likely to happen to the trial-horse AC45 once all the new ones are assigned? It will, after all, be a second-hand, capsized-once cat: might it end up in a Trademe auction perhaps? :)

If we have a 72 pitchpoling at 35 knots, I don't know it will even be possible to put it at auction ! :)

#666 fallsailor

fallsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, yoga, rum... girls that like that stuff too.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for pulling this back to real life on the Viaduct. I am guessing I am not alone when I say I scan this thread several times a day hoping to see a post from you indicating there is a new 45' winged cat with SWEET, non-generic colors and graphics getting rigged up. Thanks for your updates.

Absoluetly!!!

Thanks TK for getting us back on track with a fresh update!!!

fs

#667 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

what's likely to happen to the trial-horse AC45 once all the new ones are assigned? It will, after all, be a second-hand, capsized-once cat: might it end up in a Trademe auction perhaps? Posted Image

Bob Fisher and Te Kooti might make an offer for it.

Bob was at the Viaduct not long ago and seemed very keen on the AC45.

Despite Artemis, the hulls are completely undamaged and wings are replaceable.

But I think ACRM will find many ways to use it.

Such as a temporary loan to prevaricating possible challengers.

Even after March 30 it will be possible to mount a challenge.

Although I have a feeling the winner of AC34 will be an early riser.

#668 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:43 AM

If we have a 72 pitchpoling at 35 knots, I don't know it will even be possible to put it at auction ! :)

Quite so.

But remember the Artemis capsize happened when they were stationary.

Someone told the Swedes to go out and fish for schnapper.

And the wind blew them over.

So .... what does Juan K think of it?

#669 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

. . . . So .... what does Juan K think of it?

TK are you intentionally ducking the question of what happened to the first two boats? Or do you not know?

Where is the much vaunted SA espionage capability? Where are our spy cams? :)

#670 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,968 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

In that case..............

Far Kurnell is pleased to announce that it is about to step up its campaign efforts and in order to be able to take pretty pictures of us wearing cheaply made rash vests with the name "Far Kurnell AC Challenge" written on them while sailing an AC45, we will be contacting ACRM in order to arrange our test sail, prior to submitting our entry and paying our deposit for our AC45. In order to fund our trip, ahead of us signing our second sponsorship deal, we will be auctioning a place in our sailing team for the week on Ebay. Any excess funds from this will, of course, go to charity, although we suspect that nobody will bid the $50m needed before this clause kicks in (yes, we are trying to do this on the cheap - no $100m campaign for us!). As soon as we have the date confirmed, I will then phone around Sydney to see who knows how to sail and wants to come to NZ. I am hopeful of attracting some big names from the local sailing scene, or at least some who know how to sail. In the event of not getting any real sailors, it doesn't matter as we won't be able to actually steer or control the boat as we won't have placed a deposit.

Far Kurnell will keep this forum updated of all develoments.

#671 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:27 AM

TK are you intentionally ducking the question of what happened to the first two boats?

Because sponsors are important, boats will have an appointment with the sign-writer and graphics bloke before they splash into the Viaduct.

You already know which ones will look good.

#672 meanermachine

meanermachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:47 AM

TK are you intentionally ducking the question of what happened to the first two boats?

Because sponsors are important, boats will have an appointment with the sign-writer and graphics bloke before they splash into the Viaduct.

You already know which ones will look good.

Black and Red with an 'N' and a 'Z'. A meeeaaannnnn-machine.

Thanks for keeping us updated, though you really are a tease for not letting on about sponsors!

#673 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:06 AM

Far Kurnell is pleased to announce that it is about to step up its campaign efforts and in order to be able to take pretty pictures of us wearing cheaply made rash vests with the name "Far Kurnell AC Challenge" written on them while sailing an AC45, we will be contacting ACRM in order to arrange our test sail, prior to submitting our entry and paying our deposit for our AC45. In order to fund our trip, ahead of us signing our second sponsorship deal, we will be auctioning a place in our sailing team for the week on Ebay. Any excess funds from this will, of course, go to charity, although we suspect that nobody will bid the $50m needed before this clause kicks in (yes, we are trying to do this on the cheap - no $100m campaign for us!). As soon as we have the date confirmed, I will then phone around Sydney to see who knows how to sail and wants to come to NZ. I am hopeful of attracting some big names from the local sailing scene, or at least some who know how to sail. In the event of not getting any real sailors, it doesn't matter as we won't be able to actually steer or control the boat as we won't have placed a deposit.

You may be closer to your $50M goal than you think. I'm sure TC will pony up for at least $10M, and rocky's probably good for another $3M to $4M, but you may have to cover their airfare and lodging at the local Motel 6.

#674 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:18 AM

Cool - I think this is new? Good one

#675 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:27 AM

Quite so.

But remember the Artemis capsize happened when they were stationary.

Someone told the Swedes to go out and fish for schnapper.

And the wind blew them over.

So .... what does Juan K think of it?

Yha... stationary, Artemis began pretty well their experience on AC 45. A boat for kids I heard ! :)

#676 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

Cool - I think this is new? Good one

While I think the AC45 is a good concept to get the teams interested, it's a shame that none of the teams so far have liked the boat design or handling after having sailed it.

I guess they just missed on this design.

#677 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:32 AM

You may be closer to your $50M goal than you think. I'm sure TC will pony up for at least $10M, and rocky's probably good for another $3M to $4M, but you may have to cover their airfare and lodging at the local Motel 6.

If I had to pay for something I would do like the Aussies, I would share the ticket with my friends.Not to much for a week of sailing. :)

#678 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:33 AM

I guess they just missed on this design.

I think they should have bought the entire X40 fleet, chopped them up, and inserted frankenstein hull lengthening sections. :lol:

#679 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated, though you really are a tease for not letting on about sponsors!

Well, to be frank, I might be misreading the situation.

One of the logos was Gill (clothing) but KJ (or someone) says they have been on for ages.

The other was X2 (or something - like a chi-squared symbol) which I did not recognise. I asked a guy at TNZ but he said he was a `day worker` and knew nothing.

None of the new (to me) logos looked major and they were on one small RIB - which may have come back from Dubai or somewhere.

One day I ran into Deano in the Portside and he stuck to the party line `When the money is in place ...... etc etc``

If Grant was around I would ask him.

But, frankly, despite being a nosy bastard, my job is to keep out of the way.

It is all about to unfold very soon.

I suspect the 31 March announcement by GD will be `yep, we`re a challenger .... but I ain`t got all the dough yet .... so, if you have good ideas give my office a call.`

In addition, I have my suspicions and sources and there is one stunningly obvious big sponsor for TNZ. But even well-founded speculation is not helpful at this stage.

However, I am confident of this.

Even if GD has to have a bottle drive and cake sale and persuade the guys to work for nothing, TNZ will be in.

TNZ guys like the multis and a lot of people (inc. me) think they can bring the Cup back to Aotearoa.

#680 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

Well, to be frank, I might be misreading the situation.

One of the logos was Gill (clothing) but KJ (or someone) says they have been on for ages.

The other was X2 (or something - like a chi-squared symbol) which I did not recognise. I asked a guy at TNZ but he said he was a `day worker` and knew nothing.

None of the new (to me) logos looked major and they were on one small RIB - which may have come back from Dubai or somewhere.

One day I ran into Deano in the Portside and he stuck to the party line `When the money is in place ...... etc etc``

If Grant was around I would ask him.

But, frankly, despite being a nosy bastard, my job is to keep out of the way.

It is all about to unfold very soon.

I suspect the 31 March announcement by GD will be `yep, we`re a challenger .... but I ain`t got all the dough yet .... so, if you have good ideas give my office a call.`

In addition, I have my suspicions and sources and there is one stunningly obvious big sponsor for TNZ. But even well-founded speculation is not helpful at this stage.

However, I am confident of this.

Even if GD has to have a bottle drive and cake sale and persuade the guys to work for nothing, TNZ will be in.

TNZ guys like the multis and a lot of people (inc. me) think they can bring the Cup back to Aotearoa.

Can you tell us where they took the AC45 in the middle of the night?

#681 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

Can you tell us where they took the AC45 in the middle of the night?

There was sale on fish and chips and Rugby World Cup shirts at a place on Jervois Rd.

So the AC45 night shift untied the painter and went out for a bit of nightlife.

It is because there is a noisy rock band playing in a place near the old Loaded Hog.

And there are difficulties sleeping on netting.

I think determined syndicates will not like the mooring arrangement.

They will want their boats in a shed on land.

#682 DC_US55

DC_US55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:13 AM

BMW - TNZ ?

What's this about a night excursion on an AC45?

#683 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

The other was X2 (or something - like a chi-squared symbol) which I did not recognise.

I made a mistake about this. It is not a X2 symbol at all.

It is M2S (where the "2" is in a subscript position).

#684 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

BMW - TNZ ?

What's this about a night excursion on an AC45?

I don't know, but if rocky initiated it you can pretty much figure out its worthless and have no further concerns.

#685 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

Guys, I need a hand here !

I've following this thread and the 'build well advanced one', trying to figure out when the first 'customer' boats will be delivered, and looking forward to No1 getting some company out there. As far as I understand, the first couple should have been deliverd by now...

SO WHERE ARE THE NEW BOATS? Surely they will be handed over with some kind of publicity, videos of launchings, smiling new owners etc.?

When can we expect the first shots of two or more AC45's sailing around the gulf?

#686 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

Guys, I need a hand here !

I've following this thread and the 'build well advanced one', trying to figure out when the first 'customer' boats will be delivered, and looking forward to No1 getting some company out there. As far as I understand, the first couple should have been deliverd by now...

SO WHERE ARE THE NEW BOATS? Surely they will be handed over with some kind of publicity, videos of launchings, smiling new owners etc.?

When can we expect the first shots of two or more AC45's sailing around the gulf?

Between 1 and 2 weeks from now, is the short answer.

Two weeks from delivery to assemble, paint, apply graphics etc was the estimation. 'Mid March' was mentioned as well.

But I think the Aucklanders need to keep us updated, firstly with the location of 2 and 3, and then daily reports and photo sets, (or Mo Fuzz-like spy videosPosted Image)

And don't forget the ACRM AC45, we need to know who is borrowing that as well.

#687 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

Two weeks from delivery to assemble, paint, apply graphics etc was the estimation. 'Mid March' was mentioned as well.

Aha, that does make sense then !

Even though two weeks for painting sounds a bit long - or am I just being impatient? :rolleyes:

thanks for the heads up

#688 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

Even though two weeks for painting sounds a bit long - or am I just being impatient? :rolleyes:

thanks for the heads up

Applying the film to wing and flaps? ...also learning to drive the dollies, filling their tetrapak with water, etc etcPosted Image

And in ?TNZ case, if true to past form, they will have to march thousands of people through the compound to sign the wing for $5 a go!

#689 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

thanks for the heads up

There have been no hulls visible on the Core webcam for weeks. Nothing obvious outside Cooksons last week although a lot of cars parked in the yard.

The boats are easily transportable to other locations for painting and graphics. It is more than painting too. As Nav said, work includes assembly of crossbeams and centre spine, fitting and lacing tramps, numerous fittings, winches, optimizing breakdown and stowage routines. Boats could be anywhere there is some spare space

Haven't heard any word of forthcoming boat roll-out ceremonies. Perhaps Stingers can chime in here.

Seems as if it might be up to individual teams to blow their own trumpets.

We know at least one team that is saying nothing for now!

#690 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

The plot thickens.

ML does tendto give out mixed messages . here is the latest .

ML
"Again, right now the Cup is stalled, especially for Italian teams" ..

#691 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

ML
"Again, right now the Cup is stalled, especially for Italian teams" ..

One can take Bruni's comment positively too.
--
Zero Gradi Nord: Should you be qualified, you will face an event that takes place in 2012 and, of course, requires an important commitment next year. How are you going to reconcile this activity with that of an America’s Cup campaign?
Francesco Bruni: Well, as the America’s Cup has not yet entered into full activity I’m not considering this a problem. Then, when I have to face this problem I will take a decision, but I can tell you right now that if I have the qualification for the 2012 Games in my pocket I will never let the opportunity go, for anything in the world. I repeat, the Cup is currently in a stalemate, especially for the Italian teams, so I do not want to sit still, waiting for better times. It’s an overly optimistic scenario to have the qualification for the Olympics and have an actual request to work in the Cup. At that point I will certainly be the luckiest person in the world.
--

Well, as the America’s Cup has not yet entered into full activity.. when I have to face this problem I will take a decision... an actual request to work in the Cup. At that point I will certainly be the luckiest person in the world.

To me it sounds like he is expecting that point to come, and most definitely looking forward to it.

It is also reasonable to expect that he is clued in, and is who told FV the boats draw order, and would know that ML was involved - along with others and with ISAF - in writing up the RRSAC while in Auckland.

#692 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,968 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

Well, as the America’s Cup has not yet entered into full activity.. when I have to face this problem I will take a decision... an actual request to work in the Cup. At that point I will certainly be the luckiest person in the world.

To me it sounds like he is expecting that point to come, and most definitely looking forward to it.

No. Francesco wouldn't be embarking on a Star campaign if he was expecting to get a ride. I used to train with him in 49er days and he despite him saying it is just for fun, this is a serious campaign which he wouldn't even start on if he felt the AC thing was going to happen. Francesco doesn't do things half hearted. It is pretty clkear that he started doing the cat stuff under the ML banner, they paid for his time in the USA sailing A's, and now there is nothing on the horizon. If there was, he would be out there sailing cats, not a Star.

#693 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Well, as the America's Cup has not yet entered into full activity.. when I have to face this problem I will take a decision... an actual request to work in the Cup. At that point I will certainly be the luckiest person in the world.

No. Francesco wouldn't be embarking on a Star campaign if he was expecting to get a ride. I used to train with him in 49er days and he despite him saying it is just for fun, this is a serious campaign which he wouldn't even start on if he felt the AC thing was going to happen. Francesco doesn't do things half hearted. It is pretty clkear that he started doing the cat stuff under the ML banner, they paid for his time in the USA sailing A's, and now there is nothing on the horizon. If there was, he would be out there sailing cats, not a Star.

At this point the Olympics is a sure thing, while the AC is not.. yet. It makes sense for him to take the surer bet for now. I do expect ML is getting the 4th boat but do not know how soon we should expect to see a crew out working it up. VO could be in hold and see mode.

Even Ainslie has said if a good AC opportunity came then he would switch. This all belongs in a different thread but since we are getting off track here somehow anyway, in the latest SH BA mentions again how disappointed he is, says that GS even had RV, and his group of designers, lined up for TO.

#694 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

I have been struggling with a silly boat engine and trying to meet deadlines for book chapters. Having just sent in an analysis of wananga (Maori universities) I have taken a day to download photos from the Viaduct.

I have more than 500 and have no idea how a bloke like GMR gets so much work done!!!

Anyway, here are a few shots of recent activity.

Because RG posted some pictures of me lobbying the mayor I have returned the favour. You can see he looks good as well!

So, in Photo 1 there is RG behind the paparazzi and other usua suspects broadcasting the handover ceremony to the world.

In Photo 2 you see Jimmy Spithill, Tim Jefferey and Tugboat Turner.

With a nod in the direction of the "youth-oriented" AC the last photo shows kiwi OLympic sailors plus Bruno - in the blessing ceremony.

Use any of these in your YC Newsletter and you make a donation to Amnesty or MSF.

Attached Files

#695 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

In the first picture (above) that is GMR squatting on the crowd.

He is an archetypal French gentleman.

Quiet, self-effacing, almost shy. But exquistely competent!

Alright, so here is a picture of Pippa Blake who was at the Viaduct for the blesssing.

It is a struggle for her to be back in the Blake-era shed.

But she is well and looks good.

Attached Files

#696 DRTB2

DRTB2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

Well, as the America's Cup has not yet entered into full activity.. when I have to face this problem I will take a decision... an actual request to work in the Cup. At that point I will certainly be the luckiest person in the world.

At this point the Olympics is a sure thing, while the AC is not.. yet. It makes sense for him to take the surer bet for now. I do expect ML is getting the 4th boat but do not know how soon we should expect to see a crew out working it up. VO could be in hold and see mode.

Even Ainslie has said if a good AC opportunity came then he would switch. This all belongs in a different thread but since we are getting off track here somehow anyway, in the latest SH BA mentions again how disappointed he is, says that GS even had RV, and his group of designers, lined up for TO.

So SR that is a boat for OR and a boat for Artemis. Next boat for an unknown challenger and then one for someone else but not likely to be ML. That adds up to 4 boats under construction and two sold. With luck TNZ may use or buy the 3rd boat but ML are not starters.

#697 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

Here is RG, Bruno and MJ

Attached Files

#698 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

RG and I have both taken heaps of VCU photos of AC45 gear.

Nobody seems to mind. On the contrary, the Core guys are proud of what they have done.

Here is the deck and winch set-up.

Attached Files

#699 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

So SR that is a boat for OR and a boat for Artemis. Next boat for an unknown challenger and then one for someone else but not likely to be ML. That adds up to 4 boats under construction and two sold. With luck TNZ may use or buy the 3rd boat but ML are not starters.

Your name has a certain R2D2 ring to it Dr.T. And your posts just seem to be randomised versions of the same text - are you sure you're actually human?

#700 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

It is good to see the socialist do-it-yourself ethos over at TNZ.

Tony Rae is one of the longest-serving and most experienced AC sailors in the world.

If you were paying attention, you saw the youthful Trae in the videos RG has been posting.

Here he is in training for the Volvo race.

Unloading a container - recently arrived from Valencia.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users