News From the Viaduct

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3717 replies to this topic

#3701 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

^ Agreed about RC. Not sure about GD. Suspect he's great. I wasn't impressed by his public utterances about his crew and designer in the last VOR.

#3702 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

^ I did say leadership and fundraising.

Nobody is perfect and GD is no different. I also was pretty unimpressed with him hanging the VOR designer out to dry like that.

I have also wished all along that he would keep some of the barbs to OR to himself (even though I often agree with what is being said)

With regards to leadership and fundraising, I don't think anyone else could have picked ETNZ up off the canvas to become the challenger in the '07 cup like he did.

And once they got there, they certainly gave Alinghi a hell of a fright.

And in this campaign, it is to his (and the teams) credit that they have kept the lights on through the dark period and come out with a team and boat that is looking increasingly likely to be the challenger again. Whilst its too early to predict who would win out of OR and ETNZ, it is also to their credit that they can't be discounted at this stage.

#3703 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

But to be honest, there is always two sides to every tale and by all accounts [RC] felt that promises made were not kept and was therefore compelled to search elsewhere.

I didn't like it, but it doesn't mean he was solely to blame for what happened.

So, to cut a long story short........yeah, get over it.

FWIW, I think history has shown that RC deserved the upstairs office he was denied and the guys who denied him did not. IMO, sad and ugly all around. Water under the bridge an all.

But to be honest, there is always two sides to every tale and by all accounts [RC] felt that promises made were not kept and was therefore compelled to search elsewhere.

I didn't like it, but it doesn't mean he was solely to blame for what happened.

So, to cut a long story short........yeah, get over it.

FWIW, I think history has shown that RC deserved the upstairs office he was denied and the guys who denied him did not. IMO, sad and ugly all around. Water under the bridge an all.

Coutts certainly earned the right to the big chair then, but he baulked at the responsibilities which came with it when he realised he was going to have to do precisely what Dalton has been so good at: fund-raising. Hindsight is a curse, but it has shown that Coutts' decision to move was right for all parties but for different reasons. I am not convinced that TNZ would have lasted this long had Coutts stayed as I don't believe he is CEO material: by his own admission, he finds it difficult to raise funds and admits a reluctant admiration for Dalton's ability to do so.

Things have worked out alright for all concerned...

...now back to the fybing and fibbing.

#3704 Smithy09

Smithy09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

Dalton IS a legend. Together with Dean Barker, they kept the whole show together against all the odds. NZ doesn't have too many spare Billionaires interested in sailing sadly, so it was all uphill for Dalts. Like Peter Blake before him, he has managed to get some big players on board and provide them with some excellent world wide exposure.. AGREE

Russell lost me when about 6 months after giving a speach about "creating a dynasty of Americas Cup sailing in NZ" he buggered off to Ernisto for the cash, dragging a shite lod of talent with him.. Great sailor but dubious ethics... GET OVER IT

Nothing to get over. I just have a long memory..

I would be very interested to know exactly what went on behind the scenes just before Coutts and Butterworth walked. I have never heard the full story, only a bit of second hand stuff. What he did still wasn't right, and it was more than just going for the best deal... I cannot agree that it was just professional sailing. Coutts knows the impact that the cup had on Auckland and NZ, that was correctly predicted by Peter Blake. When he walked, a lot of Blakes dream died, and I found that really sad.

Couts was also a legend to the NZ public at that stage, with his handing the helm to Dean Barker for the last race and all his talk of dynasties. I've raced Lasers against him a few times and found him to be very gracious on the water, but his actions back then left a sour taste.. I wonder if he regrets the way things turned out, despite being one of the richer sportsmen in NZ?

Dalts on the other hand has always been brash and loud and outspoken. I think he might be quite hard to work with, (I don't know) but I truly admire his results and perserverance. Without Dalts, there would be no ETNZ. Big ups to him.

#3705 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

Dalton IS a legend. Together with Dean Barker, they kept the whole show together against all the odds. NZ doesn't have too many spare Billionaires interested in sailing sadly, so it was all uphill for Dalts. Like Peter Blake before him, he has managed to get some big players on board and provide them with some excellent world wide exposure.. AGREE

Russell lost me when about 6 months after giving a speach about "creating a dynasty of Americas Cup sailing in NZ" he buggered off to Ernisto for the cash, dragging a shite lod of talent with him.. Great sailor but dubious ethics... GET OVER IT

when will the usa get over jenkins?

he did far less harm 

http://en.wikipedia...._Robert_Jenkins

#3706 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Yo Homie. Your disappointment in your fellow countrymen bleeds hemorrhages through your writing. Maybe it's you that needs to go for a sail if you're still licking your wounds after this long. Time to shed a bit of the Samsonite and lighten the load for yourself ?   

Your comebacks are weak. You are a very small man in the world of internet-post-comebacks, what I call a comeback pygmy. 

I don't mind if you practice on me. You need to invoke intelligence and use witticisms to be a truly great troll, rather than a garden-variety one.

#3707 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

Yo Homie. Your disappointment in your fellow countrymen bleeds hemorrhages through your writing. Maybe it's you that needs to go for a sail if you're still licking your wounds after this long. Time to shed a bit of the Samsonite and lighten the load for yourself ?   

Your comebacks are weak. You are a very small man in the world of internet-post-comebacks, what I call a comeback pygmy. 

I don't mind if you practice on me. You need to invoke intelligence and use witticisms to be a truly great troll, rather than a garden-variety one.

Whatever you say :)

#3708 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

I would be very interested to know exactly what went on behind the scenes just before Coutts and Butterworth walked. I have never heard the full story, only a bit of second hand stuff. What he did still wasn't right, and it was more than just going for the best deal... I cannot agree that it was just professional sailing. Coutts knows the impact that the cup had on Auckland and NZ, that was correctly predicted by Peter Blake. When he walked, a lot of Blakes dream died, and I found that really sad.

Couts was also a legend to the NZ public at that stage, with his handing the helm to Dean Barker for the last race and all his talk of dynasties. I've raced Lasers against him a few times and found him to be very gracious on the water, but his actions back then left a sour taste.. I wonder if he regrets the way things turned out, despite being one of the richer sportsmen in NZ?

Dalts on the other hand has always been brash and loud and outspoken. I think he might be quite hard to work with, (I don't know) but I truly admire his results and perserverance. Without Dalts, there would be no ETNZ. Big ups to him.

Would it have hurt as much if Alinghi with Coutts and co hadn't won in 2003?

#3709 Smithy09

Smithy09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Probably not!! :)

#3710 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Probably not!! :)

much less

if your lover leaves you for a loser

it hurts

but not half as much as if they leave you for someone who may be better...

existential crisis

#3711 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Top sailors don't necessarily make good administrators. Examples abound, but a good recent example was RC's inane comments about his record being better than GD's. He isn't sailing on the boats, so what does it matter how many races he's won in the past? He's retired from the AC as a competitor, so he won't be winning any more.

On the other side, why is GD complaining about not enough competitors. Does he want more competition? I thought he wanted ETNZ to win the AC. How would having 10 challengers help with that?

The problem is that the fiery competive streak they need to succeed on the race course isn't appropriate for a lot of their duties as CEOs. Slagging each other off during a charity function wasn't a good look for either of their organisations.

#3712 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

congrats to NZ and its people for supporting the treaties - 

printLogo.png
Historic Treaty settlement to be signed this afternoon
By Claire Trevett @CTrevettNZH
1:24 PM Tuesday Jun 4, 2013
SCCZEN_A_250706NZHAGFORD42_220x147.jpg
Lakebeds returned to Te Arawa. Photo / Alan Gibson

More than 1000 Tuhoe people are expected at Parliament this afternoon to witness the historic signing of the iwi's deed of settlement with the Crown.

Tuhoe has had one of the most strained relationships with the Crown throughout history, and the iwi's negotiator Tamati Kruger said this morning that the $170 million settlement would help redress that.

"We've been trying to negotiate these things for over 150 years. There have been systematic failures over that time.

"I think we all sensed within Te Urewera that this was going to be the right time. We had the right people around, there was a feeling of readiness to deal with a disappointing history and stop the habit of that history failing New Zealand as well as Tuhoe.

"It was a combination of things and I'm just really grateful that I'm going to witness a very historical moment this afternoon, which puts to end a lot of anger and grief between Tuhoe and the Crown,'' Mr Kruger said.

Minister for Treaty of Waitangi Negotiations, Chris Finlayson, said all Treaty settlements were unique and had special features. He said Tuhoe's recognised the historical treatment by the Crown, including breaches of promises.

"I think it's been very important to get to know the facts. If you know the facts then you can see why we're doing what we're doing today. If there are any folk out there who doubt the validity of why we're doing what we're doing, I suggest they read the history.''

In Tuhoe's case, the most significant features include creating a new legal entity so Te Urewera National Park is owned neither by the Crown nor Tuhoe, but gives Tuhoe an increasing management role over time.

The other is the `mana motuhake' clause, giving Tuhoe a greater role in delivering social services to its own people.

About 90 per cent of Ngai Tuhoe ratified the deed of settlement, which Mr Kruger said he was pleased with.

"We've tried our best, both the Crown and Tuhoe, to get a proper and honourable deed of settlement, We do believe we've done the best we can.''

Although about seven hapu do not support it, he said its provisions were for the benefit of all Tuhoe people, not just those who ratified it.

The settlement signing comes just a week after the release of an Independent Police Conduct Authority report into the police raids on Ruatoki in 2008, but the negotiators hoped it would not overshadow the signing. Mr Finlayson said that was a matter for another day.

The signing ceremony will be live-streamed on www.ngaituhoe.iwi.nz.

By Claire Trevett @CTrevettNZH

#3713 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

More than 1000 Tuhoe people are expected at Parliament this afternoon to witness the historic signing of the iwi's deed of settlement with the Crown.

Yes, this is a significant treaty development.

Tuhoe live in one of the more remote and isolated parts of Aotearoa but have a history of producing outstanding leaders.

At the foot of their hills - on the Bay of Plenty side - is Ngati Awa and the place where the Matatatua canoe landed.

In Whakatane there is Awanuiarangi - a wananga (or Maori university). These wananga are the salient story of 21st century tertiary education in New Zealand.

There are three wananga in New Zealand - with Awanuiarangi the leader. During the last year they opened beautiful new buildings - built and paid for by the local iwi (tribe).

I know a fair bit about this place and have enjoyed several evenings with wananga leaders scoffing snapper and discussing the AC on the balcony at the Bay of Plenty Big Game Fishing Club in Whakatane.

As I have said before, NZ'ers understand the meaning of the long ocean voyage and seakeeping characteristics of big double-hulled waka. They also know Grant has reached out to Ngati Whatua in Auckland. 

Tama Iti is perhaps the best known Tuhoe person in Aotearoa.  Although not welcome in police stations, he has good relationships with Awanuiarangi and, like Tom Ehman, knows how to work a group.

Attached Files

#3714 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

meanwhile in auckland "foiled"

a privately held and tweaked sl33

jumps for joy

Attached File  foiled.jpg   130.46KB   32 downloads

full sequence

https://www.facebook...33205572&type=1

#3715 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

1014270_325206157611247_1240863659_n.jpgTaken from Dave Ridley's Facebook.

#3716 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Foiling through the Auckland winter!

Kia kaha!

#3717 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

The Joy of Eric & dumper`s posts is the essence in the difference between the Kiwi & Yankee!

The many Americans have posted (tirelessly) the lasted few years about the AC in cats "these things bear no resemblance to what the average sailor sees or sails on yada yada yade ..etc.

The Kiwi, was sailing light yachts (Patiki) that actually planned on Auckland harbour and the commercial Mullet Boats  were also doing stuff maybe 30 years plus, while Uffa Fox was pondering and musing designs to "break free" of the dreaded length/waterline displacement conundrum :)

#3718 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

1014270_325206157611247_1240863659_n.jpgTaken from Dave Ridley's Facebook.

Looks like a half-scale AC65 for AC35