174 replies to this topic

#1 ault

ault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

I recently attended a seminar in Annapolis, given by single-hander Matt Rutherford. He has recently completed a 15,000 mile single handed trip in his Pearson 32 taking him to europe into deepest Africa and back home to Annapolis. His new adventure proposes a singlehanded circumnavigation of the Americas via the NW Passage and Cape Horn. Not in a big crewed metal yacht but on his own in an Albin Vega 27.

His plans are to leave Annapolis in June 2011.

Several articles have been written locally and his efforts are starting to attract attention with a few sponsors coming forward to help him along. Here is an article abt him Sail-World.com : Sailor to try the Northwest Passage alone and benefit the Disabled

#2 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

GetEmOut.

#3 SaylurMaine

SaylurMaine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:46 PM

My anti-virus software blocked that link - malware.

DON'T CLICK ON IT.

#4 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

DON'T CLICK ON IT.

Thank you Captain Obvious. Duh.

#5 SaylurMaine

SaylurMaine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

DON'T CLICK ON IT.

Thank you Captain Obvious. Duh.

My sincerest apologies.

Guess I don't spend as much time on internet forums as you do.

#6 TjOregon

TjOregon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Sailing is Life

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:41 AM

So... Does that mean we don't get to see his GF/Wife?

#7 ozzy58

ozzy58

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

tits with malware ?

pass

#8 ault

ault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

TRY http://www.sail-worl...id=79149&rid=11

Its not a virus, its sail-world.com

#9 ault

ault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

[DON'T CLICK ON IT.

The link goes to sail-world.com, There is nothing to be afraid of people

#10 scurrvydog

scurrvydog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Motorcycles, women and sailing.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Check in at http://www.solotheamericas.org/?p=86 to follow Matt's progress.

#11 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:44 AM

Whoa! So this guy has been at sea on a 40 year old Albin Vega 27 for, let's see, as of today, over 180 days non-stop, after leaving from Maryland, USA, sailing north and then west and transiting the entire Northwest Passage, gone through the Bering Strait, crossed the North Pacific, the Equator, and is now deep in the South Pacific somewhere way off Chile, en route to Cape Horn and beyond. http://www.solotheamericas.org/

Fuck. Have the esteemed and learned editors of SA written anything about this dude, or interviewed him since he left in June? I bet if they did, it was scurrilous shit early in his voyage, to the effect of, "The idiot will never make it!" :lol: :lol: And who'd have thought he make it this far. He ain't done, but what a fucking run so far on his 4-knot shitbox!

Non-stop. He is fucking nuts --and more power to him!

Peter

I recently attended a seminar in Annapolis, given by single-hander Matt Rutherford. He has recently completed a 15,000 mile single handed trip in his Pearson 32 taking him to europe into deepest Africa and back home to Annapolis. His new adventure proposes a singlehanded circumnavigation of the Americas via the NW Passage and Cape Horn. Not in a big crewed metal yacht but on his own in an Albin Vega 27. <BR itxtAssessment="{hasWeightsets:true,isWeightset:false,hasHooknodes:true,isHooknode:false,hasContentnodes:true,isContentnode:false,hasExcludenodes:true,isExcludenode:false,hasUnbreaknodes:true,isUnbreaknode:false,hasBreaknodes:true,isBreaknode:true,nodeElem:true,nodeAttr:false,nodeText:false}">His plans are to leave Annapolis in June 2011.<BR itxtAssessment="{hasWeightsets:true,isWeightset:false,hasHooknodes:true,isHooknode:false,hasContentnodes:true,isContentnode:false,hasExcludenodes:true,isExcludenode:false,hasUnbreaknodes:true,isUnbreaknode:false,hasBreaknodes:true,isBreaknode:true,nodeElem:true,nodeAttr:false,nodeText:false}">Several articles have been written locally and his efforts are starting to attract attention with a few sponsors coming forward to help him along. Here is an article abt him Sail-World.com : Sailor to try the Northwest Passage alone and benefit the Disabled
google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);

#12 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Wow, his latest position shows him far out to sea, nowhere near the Horn. My understanding is that the SE wind has pushed him that far out. Is he just going to make a hard left turn towards the Horn once he gets far enough south? What kind of weather can he expect when he gets near the Horn?

#13 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

His last blog post (Dec. 4) said he was near Pitcairn Island (actually, Ducie Island, which I found out is part of Pitcairn) --while he's far out, I suppose that gives him a broad reach and favorable westerlies to approach the Horn? It's coming up on summer solstice down there (Dec. 21), but not having a pilot chart near me, I don't know what that means in terms of frequencies of gales. Better than being there at winter solstice, though, I'm sure!

I'm still surprised that SA hasn't written anything about Matt Rutherford. He's the real deal, no big corporate sponsors, no carbon fiber this and that. More than that, he's doing it to support a really good cause, a disabled sailor group, C.R.A.B. (Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating), www.crabsailing.org. C'mon, SA editors, this guy is worthy of a front page article (if you haven't already done one). According to C.R.A.B., quoting the Scott Polar Institute, University of Cambridge, his is the smallest boat to have ever been singlehanded through the NW Passage. Rutherford replied to the news, ďI imagine Iíve also sailed the cheapest boat in history threw the Northwest Passage as St. Brendan is only worth around ten grand. Pretty cool!Ē

NPR News in Unalaska, AK (Aleutian Islands) interviewed him a few months ago. Great quote from the beginning of the interview: "It's [the voyage] like The Odyssey [famous Greek epic poem/story of the wandering of Odysseus on his long journey home], except I'm not getting laid at all." LOL!!! http://www.npr.org/2...he-record-books

Go Mike!!!!

Wow, his latest position shows him far out to sea, nowhere near the Horn. My understanding is that the SE wind has pushed him that far out. Is he just going to make a hard left turn towards the Horn once he gets far enough south? What kind of weather can he expect when he gets near the Horn?

#14 DAK

DAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Incredible! Don't click on the link unless you have some time to kill. It's a good read. SA should definitely be on the dock to greet him when he arrives. Reminds me of the guy that did the circumnavigation on the 21'er.

#15 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

Yes he is nuts and a Cleveland Browns fan to boot. He was right across the dock from me preparing his boat. New rigging & sails. New lexan windows. He installed a bullet proof bollard on the bow. Redid the mast support in the cabin. A friend of mine talks to him regularly on the satphone every couple of days. He did say that Matt seemed a bit off last time he talked with him. I mean what would you do after being underway for almost a year on a boat let alone 6 months. Having to acclimate to the rigamarole of society after having your way all the time. He is an alright fellow, the type that the boat would have to sink out from under him to end the journey. I would not doubt it at all if his communications were wiped out we would see him pop up out of nowhere at the entrance of the Chesapeake Bay next April-May I will see if I can get some more info from him. He plotted the route at an average of 3 knots. All Hail the 3 knot ocean going Shitbox!!!

#16 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

I'm glad to see his course veer back towards South America. Rounding the Horn has captured my imagination since I was a little kid. I genuinely fear for the guy. I hope he makes it.

#17 stredwards

stredwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Polar Exploration

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

I just got off the phone wih Matt.he is doing great, decent weather, boat holding up well. High spirits except he is out of reading material.
He is on track and on schedule.

#18 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

I just got off the phone wih Matt.he is doing great, decent weather, boat holding up well. High spirits except he is out of reading material.
He is on track and on schedule.

Sweet, this is the friend I was talking about! Thanks for the update, Simon.

#19 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

This guy's voyage is truly epic. I've re-posted below his blog entry from the other day, after 6 months at sea non-stop on a very old Albin Vega 27. Epic!!! What he's doing arguably is on par with Alessandro diBenedetto's recent solo non-stop circumnavigation on his modified Mini Transat 21'er (which he jury rigged the mast on to get around Cape Horn).

Cape Horn in sight.

Roaring Forties (16,120nm)
Posted on December 16, 2011 by Matt

I was pretty far from my original waypoint off Easter Island. I underestimated just how far west the SE trades were going to push me. Iím so glad to be out of those southeast headwinds! The good news is Iím still on schedule, and should be rounding the horn by mid-January (or earlier). The climate is changing in a hurry. The temperature has been down to the low 50s at night and Iíve been having days with that grey featureless sky and steady rain. I even had a bit of fog which I thought was pretty funny. After the Arctic, fog has become a joke. The water has also gotten cold. I regularly take saltwater showers. Well, I guess itís a shower. I dump a couple of buckets of saltwater over my head, lather up with soap and shampoo, then dump a few more buckets on myself and call it a day. I did it a few days ago and was shocked by how quickly the water has changed temperature.

Iíve officially given up on fishing in the Pacific Ocean. Iíve lost too many lures to sharks. About a two weeks ago I watched a shark bite right threw my wire leader and run off with my lure. Iíve had several hard plastic lures get bit in half, other lures with hooks ripped off. I use 350lbs test and relatively small lures, so it takes a big fish to steal my lure but itís happened so many times in the Pacific that Iíve decided to quit fishing until I get into the Atlantic. There are less sharks in the open Atlantic, the open Pacific seems to be full of Oceanic white tip sharks. At least Iíve run into a few of them. I donít think about sharks very often, as long as Iím above the water line they donít really matter. At this point sharks are the least of my concerns.

I still have plenty of shelf reliance freeze dried food. Iíve also gained back most of the weight I lost in the Arctic. Between a healthy diet, pulling on lines and pumping my water maker, Iím in great shape physically. Although between pumping my water maker and wrestling with my sails 24/7 my hands have become pretty chewed up. It hurts to make a fist. Iíd say Iím doing pretty good considering Iíve been underway for 184 days strait. I have been craving chicken wings lately, or a fat slice of cheesecake, or a pint of Guinness. Ok I lied, several pints of Guinness. Anything unhealthy sounds awfully nice. Then again I never get tired of my shelf reliance food.
I crossed into the roaring forties with the winds blowing 30kts. I thought that was an appropriate introduction. I imagine Iíll see much stronger winds before I get to the horn. Itís hard to say whatís going to happen. Itís really up to Poseidon; all I can do is give it my best. Whatever happens, I doubt itís going to be boring.
FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS

I'm glad to see his course veer back towards South America. Rounding the Horn has captured my imagination since I was a little kid. I genuinely fear for the guy. I hope he makes it.

#20 TheDragon

TheDragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

Impressive. Last few solo attempts around the horn have ended in knockdowns, so I hope he makes it. Pity he is not further south, or BPV further north like GP3 were last time around. They could have buzzed him.

#21 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:22 AM

Impressive. Last few solo attempts around the horn have ended in knockdowns, so I hope he makes it. Pity he is not further south, or BPV further north like GP3 were last time around. They could have buzzed him.

As of today, January 2, after 6 1/2 months solo non-stop from Chesapeake Bay by way of the Northwest Passage, he looks to be at the latitude of the Horn, and perhaps a week or so away from rounding it?

Someone who spoke to him on his sat phone just commented on his blog today:
http://www.solotheamericas.org/?p=371#comment-6722

"Well, I just got off the phone with Matt. That guy is a trip!! He has been in gale force winds for several days and right now is sailing in 25+foot seas with the wind gusting up to 45Kts. We were talking about all the storms and gales he has dealt with in the voyage so far and he tells me that he has found this particular one (and I quote)Ö..
ďÖÖAmusing and EntertainingÖ.Ē
When I asked him why I heard that he had just pumped out his bilges, with his jury rigged hand pump, for the umpteenth time, when he looked up and saw a huge wave racing toward him with the top breaking. Convinced it was going to swamp his cockpit, he was surprised as it passed harmlessly under the stern. he was just thinking that it isnít always the big ones that cause the problems, when he was hit by a smaller wave which flooded his cockpit and overflowed into the cabin. More pumping!!
After all these miles and trials, talking on the phone with the boat rolling her way toward Cape Horn in heavy seas that I can hear breaking as we speak, and Matthew finds it entertainingÖÖwell I donít know what to think about that. Actually it tells me a lot. He is in good spirits, he is doing what he loves and he has everything under control, And I sayÖ.. BRAVO MATT!! Godspeed.
Not only that he is asking me if I have some deliveries for him when he gets back!!
It looks as if the weather is going to give him a sight of the Cape after all in relatively calm conditionsÖÖ"

Dude's a fuckin' hero, far as I'm concerned. Who gives a fuck --I mean, really-- about the corporate Volvo Ocean Race b.s., when a regular guy like Matt Rutherford on a shoestring budget is putting it all on the line?

SA editors, you are all pussies for not writing about this dude on the front page...a true anarchist if there ever was one! :lol:

#22 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

SA editors, you are all pussies for not writing about this dude on the front page...a true anarchist if there ever was one! :lol:

Maybe you're the pussy who isn't stepping up and writing a piece for the FP. Scot and Alan publish many articles on the FP from Anarchists. Write a piece about him or stop your bitching about how this guy isn't getting any FP time. It's that simple.

edit: it is a fascinating story that deserves some more exposure.

#23 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Mainsheetgirl, you are right. Mea culpa. Bitching over. (And calling the eds "pussies" was a pretty poor choice of word. I should've said "limp dicks".) :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, I didn't know they sometimes publish FP articles by anarchists. I was just thinking to myself, "Fuck, this guy Matt Rutherford is pulling some heavy shit, he's almost at the Horn...how come he's not more 'well-known'...he's a total every-man hero for us regular poor sailors, out there doing it on a shoestring and by the seat of his pants --and for a damn good cause."

Seems like whoever shouts loudest gets heard. Remember the Abby Sunderland nonsense/fiasco, with Daddy and Mommy and the press agent pushing her and her "story"? Meanwhile true "sailing heros" of Matt Rutherford's ilk remain obscure...and also WAY cooler because they're the real deal.

Maybe you're the pussy who isn't stepping up and writing a piece for the FP. Scot and Alan publish many articles on the FP from Anarchists. Write a piece about him or stop your bitching about how this guy isn't getting any FP time. It's that simple.

edit: it is a fascinating story that deserves some more exposure.

#24 querencia

querencia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

I think Matt is just about to round the horn as we speak.

I met him briefly while working in Naptown, he seems a nice chap and at least in my mind he is a feckin legend.

#25 czo79

czo79

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

New post on his site, excellent!

http://www.solotheamericas.org/

Cape Horn
Posted on January 5, 2012 by Matt

Itís taken me 208 days and 18,341 miles to get to Cape Horn, but finally Iím here. Itís an honor to be here. I think all blue water sailors dream of rounding the Horn. Itís a special place and itís a privilege to sail these waters. 208 days is a long time to be cooped up on a 27 foot boat, I canít even stand up without hitting my head. Itís been a long trip from the top of the planet down to the bottom. Heck, it was a long trip just to get to the place north of Alaska (Point Barrow) where I could finally turn south. I think I had grand tour of the open Pacific. Originally when I left Annapolis I estimated that I would round the Horn on January 16th so Iím 11 days ahead of schedule. Iím also only 1,000 miles from South Georgia (Island). How tempting is that? In 10 days from now I could be on South Georgia, standing next to Shackletons grave toasting ďthe bossĒ with my last glass of whiskey. Itís a nice idea but Iíve come too far to stop now. Now I can start thinking about my ultimate destination, the finish line at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and my first landfall in Annapolis.

My friend Simon Edwards did some reconnaissance work and sent me this on the Dec 30th (revised version). ďSeas will be in the 15-20 foot range for the rest of today with a large W swell and rough wind wave chop. They will continue in this range into Sat before diminishing some late in the day. They will build back to 15-20 feet for Sun and up to 18-25 feet Mon (the 1st) with large NW swell and rough wind wave chop. It looks like a general but gradual decreasing trend in seas Tue. Waves will increase to 15-20 feet Weds and on Thurs waves will be 12-15 feet near Cape Horn, then higher seas developing after the Horn.Ē I couldnít have asked for a much nicer day for rounding the Horn. I have 20 knots out of the SW, partly cloudy skies with spots of blue sky and sunshine. There are tons of squally rain showers but thatís not a big deal. What a beautiful day! It has been an on and off gale since the 27th, but considering where I am the weather has been fairly nice. I was actually becalmed for 10 hours on the 2nd/3rd and when the wind came back it was blew out of the east for eight hours (thatís right, east). I am almost out of diesel so it was slow going for a while. The winds turned west again on the 4th and I did 135 miles in 24 hours. I usually donít push the boat that hard but this is no place to hang out. I need to move like Iíve got a fire under me. Thereís a fine line between pushing the boat hard and pushing the boat too hard. Since I donít race anyone, most of the time I have the luxury of reefing early and reefing often. Down in the furious fifties itís prudent that a sailor gets his boat around the Horn and back up north to safe waters ASAP. But you must be careful, down here the wind builds quickly and the gusts are more extreme. Any carelessness is an invitation for a dismasting. Itís rainy, cloudy, windy and cold down here (it was 42 degrees this morning), but after 3,000 miles in the Artic the temperature and moisture is not that bad.

I brought in the New Year in a gale. I was in the mood for some excitement so it was entertaining. Sometimes gales are absolutely annoying but other times they can be good fun. Iím talking about a gale not a full ocean storm; a true storm is never fun. Anyway, I was thinking about wave patterns laying in my sleeping bag when a wave hit that filled my cockpit so full of water that water was pouring down from my companionway hatch into my cabin. I thought it was humorous, as I was just thinking about that right before it happened. Iíve become desensitized. Itís pretty funny to think Iím rounding Cape Horn without a dodger, or any canvas for that matter. My dodger was so badly damaged in the Bering Sea that there is no use trying to fix it. I donít need a dodger, I have a paintball mask. Between my Paintball mask and my mustang survival suit I look like a heavy weather ninja (Karate chopping waves).

Iíve seen quite a few Albatross lately. They will fly threw a gale like its blowing 5kts. To live down here they must be rather indestructible. They remind me of avian jumbo jets. A week ago I had a small seal playing with my boat for hours. I was 400 miles from land and surprised to see him that far out. I must have seen two hundred seals in the Artic, but they never hung out with me before. The little guy must have been as lonely as I am; Iíve never seen a seal so happy and playful.
If you get the chance pick up a copy of the January issue of Cruising World magazine. An article I wrote back by the Bering straits is their featured article. This is the first time anything Iíve written has been published. Most of you already know the story and have seen the pictures, but itís still interesting. I would like to thank Mark Pillsbury and the cruising world staff for giving me this opportunity.

Itís round Cape Horn we all must go, Bring Ďem down;
Arms all stiff to the ice and snow, Bring Ďem down;
Oh, rock and roll me over boys, Bring Ďem down;
And get this damn job over boys, Bring Ďem down.
(19th Century Sea Shanty)

FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS

#26 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:48 AM

This guy EXEMPLIFIES sailing anarchy, not the Groupama, etc. big boat nonsense that poses for "anarchy" on the front page, or the story on Carina of the exclusive New York Yacht Club. The dude IS a fuckin' anarchist hero!

How many people could ever say, "Iím also only 1,000 miles from South Georgia (Island). How tempting is that? In 10 days from now I could be on South Georgia, standing next to Shackletons [sic] grave toasting ďthe bossĒ with my last glass of whiskey. Itís a nice idea but Iíve come too far to stop now."

Or:

"Itís pretty funny to think Iím rounding Cape Horn without a dodger, or any canvas for that matter. My dodger was so badly damaged in the Bering Sea that there is no use trying to fix it. I donít need a dodger, I have a paintball mask."

GO MATT!!

New post on his site, excellent!

Cape Horn
Posted on January 5, 2012 by Matt

Itís taken me 208 days and 18,341 miles to get to Cape Horn, but finally Iím here. Itís an honor to be here. I think all blue water sailors dream of rounding the Horn. Itís a special place and itís a privilege to sail these waters. 208 days is a long time to be cooped up on a 27 foot boat, I canít even stand up without hitting my head. Itís been a long trip from the top of the planet down to the bottom. Heck, it was a long trip just to get to the place north of Alaska (Point Barrow) where I could finally turn south. I think I had grand tour of the open Pacific. Originally when I left Annapolis I estimated that I would round the Horn on January 16th so Iím 11 days ahead of schedule. Iím also only 1,000 miles from South Georgia (Island). How tempting is that? In 10 days from now I could be on South Georgia, standing next to Shackletons grave toasting ďthe bossĒ with my last glass of whiskey. Itís a nice idea but Iíve come too far to stop now. Now I can start thinking about my ultimate destination, the finish line at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and my first landfall in Annapolis.

My friend Simon Edwards did some reconnaissance work and sent me this on the Dec 30th (revised version). ďSeas will be in the 15-20 foot range for the rest of today with a large W swell and rough wind wave chop. They will continue in this range into Sat before diminishing some late in the day. They will build back to 15-20 feet for Sun and up to 18-25 feet Mon (the 1st) with large NW swell and rough wind wave chop. It looks like a general but gradual decreasing trend in seas Tue. Waves will increase to 15-20 feet Weds and on Thurs waves will be 12-15 feet near Cape Horn, then higher seas developing after the Horn.Ē I couldnít have asked for a much nicer day for rounding the Horn. I have 20 knots out of the SW, partly cloudy skies with spots of blue sky and sunshine. There are tons of squally rain showers but thatís not a big deal. What a beautiful day! It has been an on and off gale since the 27th, but considering where I am the weather has been fairly nice. I was actually becalmed for 10 hours on the 2nd/3rd and when the wind came back it was blew out of the east for eight hours (thatís right, east). I am almost out of diesel so it was slow going for a while. The winds turned west again on the 4th and I did 135 miles in 24 hours. I usually donít push the boat that hard but this is no place to hang out. I need to move like Iíve got a fire under me. Thereís a fine line between pushing the boat hard and pushing the boat too hard. Since I donít race anyone, most of the time I have the luxury of reefing early and reefing often. Down in the furious fifties itís prudent that a sailor gets his boat around the Horn and back up north to safe waters ASAP. But you must be careful, down here the wind builds quickly and the gusts are more extreme. Any carelessness is an invitation for a dismasting. Itís rainy, cloudy, windy and cold down here (it was 42 degrees this morning), but after 3,000 miles in the Artic the temperature and moisture is not that bad.

I brought in the New Year in a gale. I was in the mood for some excitement so it was entertaining. Sometimes gales are absolutely annoying but other times they can be good fun. Iím talking about a gale not a full ocean storm; a true storm is never fun. Anyway, I was thinking about wave patterns laying in my sleeping bag when a wave hit that filled my cockpit so full of water that water was pouring down from my companionway hatch into my cabin. I thought it was humorous, as I was just thinking about that right before it happened. Iíve become desensitized. Itís pretty funny to think Iím rounding Cape Horn without a dodger, or any canvas for that matter. My dodger was so badly damaged in the Bering Sea that there is no use trying to fix it. I donít need a dodger, I have a paintball mask. Between my Paintball mask and my mustang survival suit I look like a heavy weather ninja (Karate chopping waves).

Iíve seen quite a few Albatross lately. They will fly threw a gale like its blowing 5kts. To live down here they must be rather indestructible. They remind me of avian jumbo jets. A week ago I had a small seal playing with my boat for hours. I was 400 miles from land and surprised to see him that far out. I must have seen two hundred seals in the Artic, but they never hung out with me before. The little guy must have been as lonely as I am; Iíve never seen a seal so happy and playful.
If you get the chance pick up a copy of the January issue of Cruising World magazine. An article I wrote back by the Bering straits is their featured article. This is the first time anything Iíve written has been published. Most of you already know the story and have seen the pictures, but itís still interesting. I would like to thank Mark Pillsbury and the cruising world staff for giving me this opportunity.

Itís round Cape Horn we all must go, Bring Ďem down;
Arms all stiff to the ice and snow, Bring Ďem down;
Oh, rock and roll me over boys, Bring Ďem down;
And get this damn job over boys, Bring Ďem down.
(19th Century Sea Shanty)

FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS

#27 TheDragon

TheDragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Matt Rutherford's trip is getting sketchy. 253 days in now and things are starting to get stretched a bit too much - almost out of power, water, weather guidance, and a creaky boat. Fingers crossed he makes it home.

#28 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hang in there guy....

Sounds like he's running short on jury-rigs, at least on electrical supply side.

#29 edelweis

edelweis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Upcoming Resupply, Matt needs your help
"Unfortunately it looks all the equipment breakdowns that Matt has been dealing with will require a special resupply mission. Matt is almost without anyway to generate power right now, and the methods that he does have wonít last the whole way home.

Simon Edwards is currently planning a resupply out of Recife, Brasil scheduled within a week or so. If you have any ability to help out Matt with a small donation for the new parts it would be very much appreciated. If you can, please click the Donate to CRAB button to the right and contribute what you can Ė every little bit helps!

Thank you!
Web Admin Mike"

#30 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'll be contributing.

This guy's journey is epic, historic, and underrated. He hasn't been a media whore, he's just out there, quietly setting a record, and for charity. He hasn't had a huge "support team" helping him plan every little decision, he didn't have sponsors providing him with top of the line equipment.

He actually requires very little support to finish the journey, so please kick in a little something.

#31 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

PM'ing Ed/Clean/Dawg to get this on the front page..... Matt is Anarchist of the year !

#32 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

I am meeting Simon Edwards for coffee here in Annapolis to get the scoop (1400 UTC Feb 24th.....ah hell in the morning, this VORG is getting to me) to find out the real deal about arrival times and whatnot. I wholly believe that Matt is the type of guy that would have to have the boat sink out from underneath him before he would quit. I could see him finishing under jury rig at 1knt if anything happened.

Simon has been Matt's mentor/communicator/voice of reason. They have been able to communicate via phone every few days. He has been in discussion in the last few days about arrival arrangements. Supposedly he will have the boat tied up at the National Sailing Hall of Fame on the Downtown Annapolis docks for two months afterwards. Matt lives aboard a Pearson 33 that is on the hard at a local marina. Being a Browns fan aside, I have to give this guy props for what he is doing. He had the boat across the dock from me for the few months before when he was prepping for the trip. He worked at West Marine up until a month or two before the trip to help with expenses. He went to a seminar at the Annapolis Boat show about Herb McCormick's sail around the Arctic. Matt raised his hand and sail he was planning to do the same in a 27' boat and Herb laughed in his face in a room full of people. After 20,000 miles i'd say he has done pretty good.

Attached Files

#33 Ironweed

Ironweed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

His method of getting funding is through CRAB. I never heard of this and am worried about supplying info to them. Are they legit? I wish he was using paypal.

#34 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

His method of getting funding is through CRAB. I never heard of this and am worried about supplying info to them. Are they legit? I wish he was using paypal.

You ask a valid question, so let me try to put you at ease:

CRAB is totally legit. I've seen their boats that they take handicapped sailors out on. I've seen them race around bouys just outside of AYC. Their focus is making sailing accessible to physically challenged people.

#35 sailordave

sailordave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Planes, other cool stuff. Playing Bowman. Redheads... Uh, Only ONE redhead now.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

You ask a valid question, so let me try to put you at ease:

CRAB is totally legit. I've seen their boats that they take handicapped sailors out on. I've seen them race around bouys just outside of AYC. Their focus is making sailing accessible to physically challenged people.

Second this. I've volunteered w/ them a couple of times when my schedule permits. TRIED to do the CRAB regatta a couple of times but it was cancelled for lack of wind one year and Hurricane IRENE last year.

Good outfit.

And this dude has some serious brass ones!

#36 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I just paid. CRAB is 100% totally legit.

#37 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

So did I. This guy seems like a good working stiff, not a big media hound, money-grubber, nor a big whiner. And what a passage so far.

I knew nothing of him or the voyage before this week. Agree SA should get behind him.

#38 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

. He went to a seminar at the Annapolis Boat show about Herb McCormick's sail around the Arctic. Matt raised his hand and sail he was planning to do the same in a 27' boat and Herb laughed in his face in a room full of people. After 20,000 miles i'd say he has done pretty good.

People really don't like it when you accomplish what they use to define themselves as 'unique'.

Then again, this trip IS pretty hair-ball.

#39 pasta514

pasta514

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:03 AM

Just donated. You should too.

#40 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

O.K. So I checked his site and it looks like the resupply was successful. Simon said they were going to get him a -
Bilge pump (not sure if manual or electric)
VHF
Few/several gallons of Diesel
Water-maker
Flashlight
A handle for his engine to try a manual start. Spin it with the reduction and try and fire it on one cylinder.

He described Matt as going through "Heavy Combat on the Boat" Simon called up a marina in Recife and asked if the manager had a few moments of him time so he could explain an unusual situation. You can tell within the first minutes if the person is onboard or not. He chose a marina that the Whitbread guys went to back in the day. The guy spoke English. This was about 4-5 days before Matt was supposed to be in the Recife vicinity. He wasn't sure how it was going to be paid for. I'll find out if CRAB offered up a CC'd reimbursement and any other info. Oh yes and this other tidbit of info. Matt was getting about 15-20 gallons of water a day in the boat which he could not track down. Finally he tracked it to the forward berth and an obsolete instrument thru hull. Not sure if he had the supplies to stop it or just to diagnose it.
Some arrival celebrations are in the works. I am not sure about the plans at his arrival point at the entrance of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There are talks of towing him up the bay. I think Matt is adamant about not stepping off the boat until Annapolis. Matt has an angel in the name of Doug Kinney who is helping broker an arrival celebration with the National Sailing Hall of Fame. Supposedly NSHOF is going to allow his boat to stay at the docks for 2 months after he arrives. I think the are talking about having a pig roast there. There has been words of the Navy 44's sailboats escorting him up from Thomas Point and the media and press meeting him at Horn Point in the Harbor. I don't know if we can make it as good as the Volvo Fleet parade But I and gonna make sure he has two HH flares to hold in his hands on the bow when he arrives.

#41 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

I was still four days out so I spent some time fixing other items. I was able to get some winch lube into my wind generator and that stopped the binding problem. I have continued to lube up my water maker by applying olive oil to the piston and now it ďworks like newĒ. Unfortunately my hydro generatorís paddle wheel couldnít handle the load and fell apart. It was the aluminum boat hook pieces that failed, I just didnít have strong enough material to use Ė but I still stand behind my design. I was still having a hard time with power; my batteries were so dead I could only run my GPS for 10 minutes every 24 hours. I brought a battery powered GPS but somehow the Artic fog got inside and killed it many months ago. In all honesty you donít really need to have a chart plotter on 24/7. As long as I can get a position report every 12 hours I can do the rest of the navigation with a compass.
There has been a ton of freighter traffic in the last week. Freighters are like mosquitos on a camping trip. So, I approached the coast of Brazil a bit early and hove to about 15 miles off. There are these strange and Iím guessing uniquely Brazilian fishing boats all over the place. They are around 35 feet, made of wood with a little shelter on the back and open on the front. They just drop anchor at night and go to sleep 10 to 15 miles out. I nearly hit one that must have forgotten to turn on its anchor light. They usually hang out in groups of three to four. Colorful boats, must be a hard life though. . I hit my target waypoint about 2 miles offshore ten minutes early. I sat there hove-to thinking that not far away there was a beach full of beautiful Brazilian girls and here I am stuck on this little boat drifting around. I didnít drift for long before I saw Marcos approaching in a large inflatable. There was a good 3-5 foot swell so it was a great idea to use a forgiving inflatable instead of a hard sided vessel. The whole thing was very quick, in less than ten minutes they were gone and I was heading back out to sea. I got a handheld VHF because sailing without a working VHF is ridiculous, thatís just safety 101. I got same underwater putty to fix my leaky transducer (Iíll do that later today and let you know if it worked). I got two small solar panels that are 15 watts each (about 2 amps total). It doesnít sound like much but itís giving me the power to write this update. I also got a hand crank for the engine. This all happened yesterday and by the time I received the items I had been awake for 40 hours. I just woke up so I havenít had time to try it out. Again Iíll write about it in my next update. I also got some Brazilian booze and some Johnny Walker along with some sweet treats and the best roasted chicken Iíve ever had. Oh yeah, also 15 gallons of diesel and 20 gallons of emergency water, along with other bits and bobbles.

New Update... Complete update report here...www.solotheamericas.org

#42 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

The photos of the North are beautiful! What an amazing voyage...I need to add that to the list of things I want to do but probably never will.
When/Where is the gathering in Annapolis? I'd love to follow him up from Solomons on the way in. :)

#43 stredwards

stredwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

The photos of the North are beautiful! What an amazing voyage...I need to add that to the list of things I want to do but probably never will.
When/Where is the gathering in Annapolis? I'd love to follow him up from Solomons on the way in. :)

It will be at the Sailing Hall of Fame, City Dock, you will have to follow his position as to when, Target date is the 14th April, but he is a long way out yet......

#44 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Uh, has this ever made the SA front page?

Seems more than worthy of support, financial and otherwise.

#45 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

"Unfortunately it looks all the equipment breakdowns that Matt has been dealing with will require a special resupply mission. Matt is almost without anyway to generate power right now, and the methods that he does have wonít last the whole way home.

Simon Edwards is currently planning a resupply out of Recife, Brasil scheduled within a week or so. If you have any ability to help out Matt with a small donation for the new parts it would be very much appreciated. If you can, please click the Donate to CRAB button to the right and contribute what you can Ė every little bit helps!

Thank you!
Web Admin Mike"

So now this Wingnut needs to beg from SAers for bucks to support his half assed selfish venture?

Yeah, right.

That's your opinion.

#46 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

bump to the top and let's keep it there until we see some front page coverage.

Awesome voyage.

#47 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

"Unfortunately it looks all the equipment breakdowns that Matt has been dealing with will require a special resupply mission. Matt is almost without anyway to generate power right now, and the methods that he does have won't last the whole way home.

Thank you!
Web Admin Mike"

So now this Wingnut needs to beg from SAers for bucks to support his half assed selfish venture?

Yeah, right.

That's your opinion.

Actually dumbass, he didn't ask for help. It took convincing from his shore contacts that he should accept help. As for selfish, are you aware that his entire journey was to generate support for a charity called CRAB? His voyage has generated nearly $25,000 in donations to help disabled sailors get out on the water. Would you care to share any philanthropic activities that you've ever engaged in? I thought not.

Since you seem to regard any request for assistance as weak or selfish, I've made a mental note that I wouldn't piss on you, even if you were on fire, screaming for your life. One day 'Rag, you're going to need assistance of some kind. A flat tire on the side of the highway, medical assistance in an accident, something. No one gets through life without some kind of helping hand at some point. Just when you need it most, I hope that helping hand gets yanked away from you, and that you fall a long, long way.

#48 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

"Unfortunately it looks all the equipment breakdowns that Matt has been dealing with will require a special resupply mission. Matt is almost without anyway to generate power right now, and the methods that he does have won't last the whole way home.

Thank you!
Web Admin Mike"

Yeah, right.

That's your opinion.

Actually dumbass, he didn't ask for help. It took convincing from his shore contacts that he should accept help. As for selfish, are you aware that his entire journey was to generate support for a charity called CRAB? His voyage has generated nearly $25,000 in donations to help disabled sailors get out on the water. Would you care to share any philanthropic activities that you've ever engaged in? I thought not.

Since you seem to regard any request for assistance as weak or selfish, I've made a mental note that I wouldn't piss on you, even if you were on fire, screaming for your life. One day 'Rag, you're going to need assistance of some kind. A flat tire on the side of the highway, medical assistance in an accident, something. No one gets through life without some kind of helping hand at some point. Just when you need it most, I hope that helping hand gets yanked away from you, and that you fall a long, long way.

OK.

First, the "donations" from this adventure go first to cover his expenses. So the charity does not benefit one cent unless and until his costs are covered. Since it is obvious that he is out of money, it follows that the charity will receive nothing. So, where does this $25K you mention come from? Well, it's his stated "goal".....

Second the evnture smacks of self interest and self indulgence - like most of these man against the sea ventures. Unfortuantely the taxpayers ultimately ending up with the costs of saving idiots like these (at times at risk to their own lives). That is, saving them from themselves.

My philanthropic endeavors are none of your business. You are a moron who has no value and are not worth responding to.

#49 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

not worth responding to

It would benefit everyone if you did not respond... ever... to anything.

#50 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Blah, blah...

Second the evnture smacks of self interest and self indulgence - like most of these man against the sea ventures.
What's an "evnture"?

My philanthropic endeavors are none of your business.
Because they are non-existent.

You are a moron who has no value and are not worth responding to.
You just did.

Did you attend UF by chance?

#51 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Please ignore douche-rag.
Just FYI - CRAB contributions and contributions for the BOAT RESUPPLY are different pots of money. CRAB is benefiting from this, not funding it. Everyone who lives in the area knows CRAB is a very worthy charity.

#52 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Just FYI - CRAB contributions and contributions for the BOAT RESUPPLY are different pots of money. CRAB is benefiting from this, not funding it. Everyone who lives in the area knows CRAB is a very worthy charity.

Please tell me exactly how CRAB is benefitting form this stunt.

As is noted on the moron's site, CRAB does not get any money out of this until all of his expenses are reimbursed from the donations. So, he gets his money first. Now, since he is out of funds and begging for money on SA, it stands to reason that CRAB will never get anything out of this.

So let's all stop pretending that this all has something to do with raising money for a charity. Rather, it is all about someone wanting to sail a small boat in places that he shouldn't, get some press, maybe elevate his sorry assed life. Which, of course, won't happen as no one cares about a fool on the ocean in a toy boat.

My point is not about whether CRAB is a worthy charity or not. I just want to know how much money CRAB has received from this bogus stunt. Period.

#53 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

As is noted on the morons site, CRAB does not get any money out of this until all of his expenses are reimbursed from the donations. So, he gets his money first. Now, since he is out of funds and begging for money on SA, it stands to reason that CRAB will never get anything out of this.

So let's all stop pretending that this all has something to do with raising money fro a charity. Rather, it is all about someone wanting to sail a small boat in places that he shouldn't, get some press, maybe elevate his sorry assed life. Which, of course, won't happen as no one cares about a fool on the ocean in a toy boat.

I'm sorry your mother didn't like you as a child...

#54 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Bump to the top and please do not feed the troll.

#55 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Can someone get this on the front page already?
This guy is SAILING ANARCHY and has huge balls besides!
Plus who doesn't want to help get disabled sailors out on the water?

#56 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm with you, WTF?

BIG story here and nothing on the fp.

DAWG, Scott, Alan???

#57 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Can someone get this on the front page already?
This guy is SAILING ANARCHY and has huge balls besides!
Plus who doesn't want to help get disabled sailors out on the water?

This is yet another bogus attempt to get some publicity. What benefit has the charity received? How much money?

#58 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

I am pretty busy right now with a lot of editing and video crap to deal with from 3 weeks in the caribbean, but if one of you guys who thinks so strongly that this should be on the front page wants to write a couple of paragraphs and find a couple of photos about it, send it to me and we'll run it. clean at sailinganarchy dot com

Also, please explain what CRAB has to do with it. I like the folks there, but am unsure of their connection to this effort. Thanks.

Otherwise, STFU.

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

Still no report from you folks that claim to be following this effort so religiously.

#60 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

Wow, 8 hours and you are impatient and snide... this from the guy that routinely says he is about to post something on the FP and it doesn't appear for weeks if ever.

#61 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

Clean - My version of a write-up in your Messenger. My apologies for having a day job <_<

#62 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Are you going to dock my pay :rolleyes:
We've got something cooking over in CA.

Still no report from you folks that claim to be following this effort so religiously.

#63 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Are you going to dock my pay :rolleyes:
We've got something cooking over in CA.

So, exactly how much money was received by CRAB thus far? According to the NYT article, written in Feb., only 10% of the goal was raised and, since the first dollars go to paying for the boat and other travel expenses, presumably nothing has benefited CRAB.

Thus one wonders was this all a bogus venture designed only to pay for some clowns publicity?

#64 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Messenger system blows - please send to clean at sailinganarchy dot com

Wow, 8 hours and you are impatient and snide... this from the guy that routinely says he is about to post something on the FP and it doesn't appear for weeks if ever.

Wow, another anonymous coward sniping from the sidelines. Thanks for your stellar contribution, as usual.

#65 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Wow, another anonymous coward sniping from the sidelines. Thanks for your stellar contribution, as usual.

Can't we all just get along?

#66 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

It would appear that Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating (CRAB) as a 501 ©(3) is handling all the funds. A single form allows you to designate to CRAB programs directly or to the challenge. They are reporting $58K on their website right now.
http://crabsailing.org/matts-challenge/

So, exactly how much money was received by CRAB thus far? According to the NYT article, written in Feb., only 10% of the goal was raised and, since the first dollars go to paying for the boat and other travel expenses, presumably nothing has benefited CRAB.

Thus one wonders was this all a bogus venture designed only to pay for some clowns publicity?

#67 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

It would appear that Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating (CRAB) as a 501 ©(3) is handling all the funds. A single form allows you to designate to CRAB programs directly or to the challenge. They are reporting $58K on their website right now.
http://crabsailing.org/matts-challenge/

The stated goal was to raise $250,000 for CRAB. The fine print says that donations are first used to but the boat, then pay for expenses of the trip. after all taht, CRAB gets the remainder.

So, was the $58K after the trip expenses?

Since the program is about over, it doesn't sound like CRAB will get $250,000, does it?

#68 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

Can't we all just get along?

But look, Clean may have learned something, which is difficult for him so should be applauded.

He managed to avoid libel this time!

He did kind of fail to grasp the irony of being snide in response to a post calling him snide, but you can't hope for too much from him. It was good enough that he avoided libel.

However, for all his impatience for the requested article that in fact was sent same-evening, as would be expected he hasn't gotten it on the front page yet.

So he can throw insults around, but the point that I made -- his hypocrisy with regards to speed of posting material -- stands.

Or will he use the excuse of blaming it on the PM system of his/Scot's site? Funny it works for other people.

Doesn't matter. Any way you slice the exchange, including his original impatience, Clean shows his colors again. There's comedy to be found with him (though not on purpose.)

#69 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

He managed to avoid libel this time!

Just quoting for effect, and to preserve your statement of fact considering the new developments this week.

#70 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

Hey, although I think your and Scot's behavior was very stupid -- no benefit, considerable risk, no reason to do it, and it should be well-known to any "journalist" not to do it -- with regard to using actionable terms, if new developments you refer to include your escaping personal harm from the events, other than lots of money and time needlessly down the toilet, that's good news.

However, your previous effort to try to claim that I have libeled you (by saying it was libelous for you to publish that Ainslie had committed "felonious assault") is an example of incredible hypocrisy or double-standard, or if you're trying to present the above quote as supposed libel, that would be laughable hypocrisy.

#71 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hey, it ain't over until the fat lady (ah, man) sings......

#72 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

This I do not know, but I doubt it. He listed expenses on his original flyer as $22,800....so I'm guessing CRAB has gotten like 35K so far. What I do know is that CRAB has been around for over 20 years and will most likely leverage this for a long time to try and make $ for the cause. Also, they appear to have a single donation form that allows you to designate funds directly for CRAB related programs or to this Rutherford stunt if we agree to call it that. At a minimum, people get drawn to the CRAB site and have opportunity to donate. On the other extreme, Rutherford is exploiting CRAB and others for what some might see as a self serving effort. Either way, it's supposed to be in the spirit of helping physically and/or developmentally-challenged individuals access sailing.

The stated goal was to raise $250,000 for CRAB. The fine print says that donations are first used to but the boat, then pay for expenses of the trip. after all taht, CRAB gets the remainder.

So, was the $58K after the trip expenses?

Since the program is about over, it doesn't sound like CRAB will get $250,000, does it?

#73 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:43 AM

However, for all his impatience for the requested article that in fact was sent same-evening, as would be expected he hasn't gotten it on the front page yet.

Would you be surprised to know that I only do Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

Jackass.

so lonely

From SAíer Jax. Title inspiration from some Violent Femmes lyrics.

We've all been there: Undertaking some voyage or journey, and having conquered all the planned obstacles, the last stretch throws curveball after curveball. This is the position Matt Rutherford finds himself now. A young pup, Matt raised funds and forged a partnership with Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating (CRAB) to complete one of the last major records: Solo and non-stop "around the Americas.Ē

Matt left Annapolis in April of 2011 on a 27 ft Albin-Vega sloop and headed North, then West, through the Northwest Passage. He then headed South until reaching and rounding Cape Horn. Later, Matt then found himself struggling off the coast of Brazil with an extremely leaky boat (taking on 25 gallons a DAY), a broken starter for his diesel, and dwindling DC power. A keen re-supply mission provided him the epoxy he needed for repair, but he could still use a little more help to get home.

Please read about his voyage at his website here, and then consider donating on Mattís behalf to Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating (crabsailing.org)

If this guy aint Anarchy, nothing is. In the words of Matt: "FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS.Ē The thread is pretty entertaining too.<br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> <br style="mso-special-character:line-break">

Attached Files

#74 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

1) Then why were you breathing down their necks after only 8 hours?

2) You dumbfuck, it's still not on the FP

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

is it friday yet?

#76 GulfIslander

GulfIslander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

Joshua Slocum, Bernard Moetessier, Frank Chichester, Robin Knox-Johnston, Matt Rutherford, all morons trying stupid risky stunts at someone else's expense.
I agree with Clean. He's just returned from a difficult two weeks exhaustively reporting on that pantheon of the gods of sailing, Heinekin race week.
Quit bothering him with this bullshit.

#77 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

1) Then why were you breathing down their necks after only 8 hours?

2) You dumbfuck, it's still not on the FP

Does it belong on the front page?

#78 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

Well that is a point, but Clean was all in a hurry for it to be.

#79 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

And it was IrieMon who wrote the article, not Jax. Not Ajax, either. Nor neither.

It's interesting to see Clean has a day job. I guess they don't let him access the internet while he's plucking chickens on the odd days.

#80 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

Plucking?

#81 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

All right, if you guys are finally done polishing each other's tillers, it's Friday so let's get it on the front page and watch a good guy complete an awesome journey while setting a record. Donate to CRAB, it's a good cause even if you disagree with what Rutherford is doing.

Clean- I appreciate that you're busy and thanks for letting us contribute the article and putting on the site to give it some exposure. You're probably right that if something is important to US, then WE should generate the article for it as long as you're willing to give it some exposure.

#82 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Cheers Ajax, glad to see someone gets it.

If either Scot or I was inspired by the story, we would've covered it a long time ago. Since neither of us were, it falls to you guys to come up with something, and that goes for any subject. Whingers whinge, snipers snipe, but those who actually have something to say know they can say it, and we will usually run it.

Sorry for the misattribution, IrieMon, I think Scot has it sorted now.

#83 stredwards

stredwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Interesting reading these few pages.
I had been expecting a whole different dialogue from all I have heard about SA,
Disappointed in Maryland

#84 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Okay, skip "inspiring", you sailing world-weary cynics. Could you settle for "noteworthy", or at least "interesting"?

But why, again, DoRag's eternal crabbiness aside, do we not even like this trip?

To me, NW passage and around the continents in a freakin Albin 27 is not exactly a walk in the park. And I don't see the "selfishness" concept with the same clear lens that some seem to.

We type. He went out and did it, and almost done. Are we all that jaded?

#85 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Don't like what you read on the internets, or SA for that matter?

"Post what you want to see."

#86 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Okay, skip "inspiring", you sailing world-weary cynics. Could you settle for "noteworthy", or at least "interesting"?

But why, again, DoRag's eternal crabbiness aside, do we not even like this trip?

To me, NW passage and around the continents in a freakin Albin 27 is not exactly a walk in the park. And I don't see the "selfishness" concept with the same clear lens that some seem to.

We type. He went out and did it, and almost done. Are we all that jaded?

It ain't about the trip. It's about the phoney guise of a charity to cloak his expenses.

#87 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

Check out the superior thread of the same title in Cruising Anarchy. This SA forum is....... in the doldrums (to be polite..)

#88 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:50 AM

I knew of C.R.A.B. I had never contributed. After reading about Matt's adventure, I made separate contributions to the voyage and to CRAB's normal mission.

When Matt complete's this trip, he will no doubt get some recognition and likely a lot of paid speaking engagments some of that money will in all likelihood will end up with CRAB.

I am really coming to love all the internet experts that sit behind their computers are denigrate people that are actually out accomplishing something. Is it this forum that has the thread badmouthing the guy that recently rounded Cape Horn and is in the final legs of finishing up a circumnav, but doing so on an unapproved Hunter product?

There are those that do, and those that talk about how it should be done.

#89 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

Check out the superior thread of the same title in Cruising Anarchy. This SA forum is....... in the doldrums (to be polite..)

Amen.

#90 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

I knew of C.R.A.B. I had never contributed. After reading about Matt's adventure, I made separate contributions to the voyage and to CRAB's normal mission.

When Matt complete's this trip, he will no doubt get some recognition and likely a lot of paid speaking engagments some of that money will in all likelihood will end up with CRAB.

I am really coming to love all the internet experts that sit behind their computers are denigrate people that are actually out accomplishing something. Is it this forum that has the thread badmouthing the guy that recently rounded Cape Horn and is in the final legs of finishing up a circumnav, but doing so on an unapproved Hunter product?

You miss the point.

And if you think anyone would pay this clown to hear him speak, well, not so much.

#91 dogfish

dogfish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

You miss the point.

And if you think anyone would pay this clown to hear him speak, well, not so much.

I would pay for you to STFU

#92 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

You miss the point.

I would pay for you to STFU

You don't have enough money for that, but thanks for the offer.

#93 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

You miss the point.

You think I miss the point, and I think you miss the point.

We shall see shortly if there is any interest in the guy when he gets back. My bet is there will be.

#94 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Is this thread about a guy sailing around. solo in a small vessel not designed for the task on a thin budget? Pretty impressive feat.

#95 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Is this thread about a guy sailing around. solo in a small vessel not designed for the task on a thin budget? Pretty impressive feat.

No. This thread is about yet another guy who using the cloak of a charity to fund his personal need for attention by sailing about in a small boat and possibly causing the need for the taxpayer funded Coast Guard to personally risk their lives to rescue said sailor.

#96 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

No. This thread is about yet another guy who using the cloak of a charity to fund his personal need for attention by sailing about in a small boat and possibly causing the need for the taxpayer funded Coast Guard to personally risk their lives to rescue said sailor.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

#97 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Well, it's a bad thing if you wish to donate to a charity beacuse you support their cause and the money really goes to fund something like an extended boat trip. Sounds like a hose mount to me.

#98 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

TRAFFIC FROM THE FRONT PAGE!!!---- There is another thread on Cruising Anarchy...

http://forums.sailin...pic=128539&st=0

#99 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

Joshua Slocum, Bernard Moetessier, Frank Chichester, Robin Knox-Johnston, Matt Rutherford, all morons trying stupid risky stunts at someone else's expense.
I agree with Clean. He's just returned from a difficult two weeks exhaustively reporting on that pantheon of the gods of sailing, Heinekin race week.
Quit bothering him with this bullshit.

I gotta stand up for Matt having seen him prep for the trip and understanding his resupply efforts. If you waited until you thought you were ready for a trip you would probably wait forever. Another favorite of mine is "ship and seamen rot in harbour" (-Nelson). Having seen Matt and the pics that were just posted he looks 5-10 years younger and extremely happy. Why hate a playa? He is out there doing it. We all can second guess from our standpoint but we do not know Matt's intentions just the facts. fact is he has sailed over 20,000nm. Probably not too many posters can say that along with a crossing of the pond (twice). Also-As much as I disagree with some of the front page postings (The general goes on a tour of ports in the med) A lot of this content is forum driven as stated by clean. So by us posting and keeping the interest level high, everybody wins! we get the coverage! Minus a few obvious knuckleheads, let the rest of us enjoy the forum....

#100 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

P.S. I heard Knox-Johnson sent Matt a very nice personal email offering support...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users