10 replies to this topic

#1 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

So here's the situation, I have a Garmin 440 chartplotter (fixed mount, not protable), which has an SD card port.

I have sucessfully used this port and an SD card to update the software (it works well!).

I have also downloaded all the routes, waypoints, and tracks to that SD card. Those files now life on my computer at home.

But here's the rub.....how do you open a "____.adm" file?
None of the free Garmin software knew what to do with it.

All searches on google (and on SA) led me to one of 2 dead ends:
1. physically plug the computer into the gps unit to get the data in .gpx file format (non-starter).
2. nobody knows what to do with the *.adm file.

So...do you guys have any leads?

I got this file on my desktop and can't unlock it's secrets!!!! MADDENING!!!!!

Bonus points for free software. and since I have access to Mac and Windows, that's not a constraint.

help?

-M

#2 Tenacity

Tenacity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

Try http://www.gpsu.co.uk/index.html This works for us. The freeware version will only handle limited numbers of trackpoints, waypoints, and routes but it does read .adm files with no problems. It can store what it can read as .txt

#3 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

I don't get it. What is the .adm file? I thought these devices saved, exported and imported files as .gpx files?

#4 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

The chartplotters use userdata.adm GPS Utility that Tenacity posted is the only thing I know of that can read them. Garmin Trip and Waypoint manager is also supposed to do it, but I've never seen it work.

I don't get it. What is the .adm file? I thought these devices saved, exported and imported files as .gpx files?

#5 breezetrees

breezetrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Garmin homeport is the new version of waypoint manager, I have the garmin 540 and use it to convert the data in the user.adm file to gpx or whatever. It's worth the $30 or so you pay for it. I couldn't find any free software to do it when I was looking. You can plan routes on your pc using this too, but it really doesn't take advantage of the big screen on your pc like it should (still looks like a 240x320 display to me).

panbo review

-Mike

#6 dew

dew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:SAILING, duh

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

While we are at it I have all of the map files from around the world, bfd if never leave the sight of land . These files have .kap and .bsb extension. I think they are from a CMap program. Who knows how I can view these and no I do not plan to buy Cmap program. I will admit I have not researched this and have another chart program. Thanks

#7 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

While we are at it I have all of the map files from around the world, bfd if never leave the sight of land . These files have .kap and .bsb extension. I think they are from a CMap program. Who knows how I can view these and no I do not plan to buy Cmap program. I will admit I have not researched this and have another chart program. Thanks

You can buy a plug-in for PhotoShop that will import them.

BSBImport

I've used it very successfully to generate "racing area" diagrams for sailing instructions.

#8 bad_burritos

bad_burritos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

Another app - The Andren LoranGPS program

http://www.andren.com/

2/5/2011 - Added import capability for TRACKS from Furuno NavNet, Lowrance USR, GPX, Garmin ADM, and Raymarine FSH files.

#9 MikeR

MikeR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts
  • Interests:Own a Pearson 10M

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

SeaClear II will read them and is a pretty functional chart plotter when connected to a GPS source. http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

It's free and there is a pretty large user base in a Yahoo group.

Cheers,

MikeR

#10 SailMedic

SailMedic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:sailing, skiing, etc

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Call Garmin. They have incredible customer service and have for years (I've had Garmin products since 1998). From their website...

North America - Consumer Products

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US: 913-397-8200
US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
Canada: 1-866-429-9296

#11 danicalindamancenido

danicalindamancenido

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:24 AM

Hi. You can use GPS Babel (it's free) to communicate with the GPS through the serial port and convert the data to .gdb. No need to buy any software. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users