21 replies to this topic

#1 usasail

usasail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:05 AM

We are doing a distance race that they give you the actual gps coordinates of different rounding marks (many permanent marks in the same area helps to pick the right one out) Are there any handheld GPS units that you can enter in by hand the coordinates you are sailing to?

#2 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:07 AM

We are doing a distance race that they give you the actual gps coordinates of different rounding marks (many permanent marks in the same area helps to pick the right one out) Are there any handheld GPS units that you can enter in by hand the coordinates you are sailing to?

Should be able to with all of them.

#3 usasail

usasail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

I have an older Garmin emap and you can only ping waypoints when you go by them. Are the newer ones mostly able to enter by hand?

#4 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

I have an older Garmin emap and you can only ping waypoints when you go by them. Are the newer ones mostly able to enter by hand?

I've never seen one that does not have the ability to enter lat & long, and I've used many different types. They may exist though.

edit... I'm assuming you are using one meant for navigation at sea - not one with road maps.

#5 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:13 AM

the one we have from, probably from the late 90's early 00's you're able to enter in the coordinates pretty easy - i forget who made it though. id be surprised if you cant with the Garmin, but then some of their stuff seems to be pretty bad (dont get me wrong, i love the garmin stuff that i've used in a variety of applications though)

#6 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:28 AM

Go to here;
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eMap_OwnersManual.pdf

Go to page 19 to see how to manually enter a waypoint for the emap.

#7 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:28 AM

I've never seen one that didn't have that capability.

What kind (make/model) do you have?

#8 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:40 AM

I've never used a Garmin eMap, but browsing thru the manual Hilly provided a link to it looks like it's for land use only.

#9 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

I've never used a Garmin eMap, but browsing thru the manual Hilly provided a link to it looks like it's for land use only.

Yeah, J.S. it certainly looks land based, but it is supposed to have the ability to manually enter L /L.
USASAIL, If you are comfortable with the small garmins hand helds, then the e-trex is probably better for the boat as it is "waterproof". If you get an etrex, and it does get wet, open the battery case and dry it out, DO NOT leave for a week in a sailing bag, you WILL kill it....

#10 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:55 AM

I think that's the point; even the lame-ass economy land-intended units have that capability.

If it can store waypoints -- by any means -- you can edit lat/lon.

#11 ozzy58

ozzy58

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:00 AM

some,

its easier ( and quicker ) to buy a usb lead and use the pc to enter the points into the hand held

for e trex , lead is about 50% of the cost of the hand held, of course

some hand helds have a card that will work in pc card reader

another work around is to look up the waypoints on google earth or similar, and identify closest landmarks or bearing intersections (real nav ?0,

and if it is home waters, you probably already have many pinged from before

or from google earth, a shopping list of points, courses and distances ( paper ) works just as well,

and use the crumb trail or similar feature as a check

unless they will lay marks at the waypoints

in the middle of nowhere

many rc's will choose w/ points that have a couple of landmarks to make it easy for the bouy boat people to lay the marks

#12 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:56 AM

Attached File  Capture2.PNG   70.74K   11 downloads

From the eTrex user manual at http://www8.garmin.c...wnersManual.pdf

#13 pikeout

pikeout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:02 AM

ozzy58 Hope you can help. I've got a Garmin 550 with g card. Can I hook it up to my PC & download information. I've done it on a friends GPS, just didn't think I could do it on mine. Thanks John.

#14 ozzy58

ozzy58

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

some need garmin software, some do not

ask garmin

some cards can be read / written in pc slot, some need the software

good luck

happy hunting

or do a dummy run of the course ................................................

#15 ozzy58

ozzy58

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

<LI class=sa_wr>
Garmin 550 - GPS Systems - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at ...
Garmin 550 - 11 results like the Garmin Nuvi 550 Multifunction GPS Receiver, Garmin Oregon 550 GPS 3.2 MP Camera, Garmin Oregon 550t Handheld Camera, Garmin NUVI550 GPS, Garmin ...

www.nextag.com/garmin-550<LI class=sa_wr>
nüvi 550 -
Do it all with the rugged, waterproof, multi-mode nüvi 550. Drive, hike, bike or boat — this dynamic device switches modes to navigate your active lifestyle.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=27442<LI class=sa_wr>
Garmin 550 | Garmin550
The Garmin 550 GPS has a variety of great benefits and features. Read the full review of the Garmin nuvi 550.

garmin550.net<LI class=sa_wr>
Garmin Zumo 550 Review - GPS - CNET Reviews
Despite some very slight performance glitches, the Garmin Zumo 550 is a fantastic navigation system for motorcyclists (and cars), with good Bluetooth integration. Review: When ...

reviews.cnet.com/gps/garmin-zumo-550/4505-3490_7-31995597.html<LI class=sa_wr>
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS Review
Garmin will release a new GPS for motorcycles in October called the Garmin Zumo 550. The Zumo represents a new design for Garmin which is appears smaller (in depth) than the ...

www.gpsreview.net/garmin-zumo<LI class=sb_ans>//<LI class=sa_wr>
Oregon 550 -
The navigator with the photographic memory! Oregon 550 combines rugged outdoor touchscreen navigation with a 3.2 megapixel digital camera. Add high-sensitivity GPS, barometric ...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=26875<LI class=sa_wr>
Garmin: zumo 550 Software Update Collection
zumo 550 Updates & Downloads ... Update Unit Software with WebUpdater. Use WebUpdater to automatically keep your operating software current.

www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00567-00<LI class=sa_wr>
Garmin 550 | The Garmin 550 Sat Nav
The Garmin 550 Sat Nav is an impressive sat nav well worth its position as one of the leading Sat Navs in the world. The Garmin 550 is stylish as well as coming with a lifetime's ...

garmin550uk.com

................and some others are not hand helds and should stay on the dash of your car

#16 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

We have done a distance race the past two years on an inland lake, the first year we had a fancy gps and it worked wonderfully for finding marks at night.
This past year when we went to do the race the contact with the GPS fell through so at the last moment we ended up using and Iphone and the GPS Motion-x app for it. It actually worked better than the GPS the year before and was less hassle. We just had a waterproof bag for it and it worked wonderfully.

Now that is on an inland lake where the worst thing that could really happen is we run aground.

#17 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

usually the easiest thing to do..., is to just make a waypoint anywhere, and then edit the coordinates.

#18 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:cruising and racing on the Gulf of Maine and beyond

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

usually the easiest thing to do..., is to just make a waypoint anywhere, and then edit the coordinates.

This.

Also, I recommend you double-check the coordinates given by the RC -- plot them on a current paper chart and make sure they correspond to the intended marks. I can tell you it sucks to go to the coordinates given in the SI's and discover that the buoy to be rounded is actually 7 miles somewhere else (the RC had used a long out-of-date chart).

#19 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

+1 - This is what I do all the time...

#20 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

+1 - This is what I do all the time...

Another who does this. I have an Etrex and I think that's the only way to do it with those. You create a "Mark" at your current position, then edit the coords to the waypoint you want to create, and name it. They do seem intended more for hiking type activities than marine. I have a Lowrance as well but can't remember how that one goes.

#21 1sailor

1sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:'SuperFly' Audi / Melges 20

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:17 AM

Just grab your iPhone, spend $1.00 on the motionX app and use it instead. The 'waypoints' tab makes it super easy to input your digits.

#22 pikeout

pikeout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:39 AM

Yep ozzt58 Garmin unit wasn't handy when posted . Model is GPSMAP 551/551s/

https://buy.garmin.c...D=28742&ra=true

Anyway it doesn't have a USB port.
Can't "Do course" before 'cos it will be my first time there.
Thanks anyway John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users