117 replies to this topic

#1 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

I like the J27 and its on my short list for my next race boat. However, they're tough to find. I'm surprised there are so few around for sale considering the numbers built? Is it just that owners of them are happy and just keep hanging on?

#2 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

There are three on Yachtworld. One in NY, one in CT, one in VT

Great boats

#3 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, J27's, Skiing

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Believe there is also one for sale in Montreal. Check the new j/27 owners site (Wikispaces. Much has been written about the one in VT

Good luck

#4 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Thanks guys! I didn't see any on YachtWorld last week, but I will check again.
Jerry

#5 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Doesn't sound like the one in VT is what I'm looking for. I don't need another project ;)

I wonder if I can find one under $20K with good great sails, motor, and up to date rigging??

#6 burnsed

burnsed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

I think you are looking at the "great sails" issue backwards. If you are going to be racing from the start I'd look for the driest boat first, the best bottom second and updated winches and gear third. I think all of the boats came with Barients and if they are still on board are going to be pretty tired. I would look for one with adjustable jib cars, better traveler/main sheet control system set up and cascading backstay. That kind of gear adds up quickly but can last the life of the boat after it is done. Sails and running rigging are consumable items, you will be replacing them sooner rather than later no matter what shape they are in.

It's a great boat. Good luck on finding the right one for you.

Footloose #23

#7 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

Sorry, driest hull and deck was a given. As well as a clean bottom.I wouldn't consider anything less. No more "projects" for me!
I guess what I meant is can I keep the price under $20K for a good boat.
If any of you guys run across a boat for sale, please let me know.

Jerry

I think you are looking at the "great sails" issue backwards. If you are going to be racing from the start I'd look for the driest boat first, the best bottom second and updated winches and gear third. I think all of the boats came with Barients and if they are still on board are going to be pretty tired. I would look for one with adjustable jib cars, better traveler/main sheet control system set up and cascading backstay. That kind of gear adds up quickly but can last the life of the boat after it is done. Sails and running rigging are consumable items, you will be replacing them sooner rather than later no matter what shape they are in.

Footloose #23

#8 J24_guy

J24_guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

I think the J27 is possibly the best J-Boats design ever. Just a brilliant layout. I would dearly love to sell my 24 and get a 27, except that doing so would consign me to the purgatory of PHRF racing.

(I am not sure that PHRF racing really _is_ sailboat racing -- you get rolled by the faster boats and sail in their gas, you have to get out of the way of slower boats, and the whole thing's a bit farcical as the seconds-per-mile concept doesn't make a lot of sense on the race legs that involve sailing outside the rhumb line. The J27 is a superior piece of gear in every way to the 24, but there's just about zero OD racing. The more I read about people tricking out their PHRF boats -- like that guy last year at KWRW on the J100 -- the more it seems like a totally pointless arms race that is more wallet-racing than sailboat-racing.)

#9 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

I think the J27 is possibly the best J-Boats design ever. Just a brilliant layout. I would dearly love to sell my 24 and get a 27, except that doing so would consign me to the purgatory of PHRF racing.

(I am not sure that PHRF racing really _is_ sailboat racing -- you get rolled by the faster boats and sail in their gas, you have to get out of the way of slower boats, and the whole thing's a bit farcical as the seconds-per-mile concept doesn't make a lot of sense on the race legs that involve sailing outside the rhumb line. The J27 is a superior piece of gear in every way to the 24, but there's just about zero OD racing. The more I read about people tricking out their PHRF boats -- like that guy last year at KWRW on the J100 -- the more it seems like a totally pointless arms race that is more wallet-racing than sailboat-racing.)

In defense of PHRF racing...as far as I can remember in IRC or ORR or IOR or IMS, or, etc, etc... you would: get rolled by faster boats and sail in their gas, you have to get out of the way of slower boats..and the rating is applied as a time correction at the end of the race. Sore losers can always blame their rating...

In OD, you still get rolled by the faster boats as sail in their gas, and you still have to get out of the way of the slower boats. But no correction is applied at finish, so you got that going for you. Sore losers have to come up with something else to blame...like so and so's boat is not really class legal, etc...

Otherwise, seems like racing is racing to me...

#10 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

In defense of PHRF racing...as far as I can remember in IRC or ORR or IOR or IMS, or, etc, etc... you would: get rolled by faster boats and sail in their gas, you have to get out of the way of slower boats..and the rating is applied as a time correction at the end of the race. Sore losers can always blame their rating...

In OD, you still get rolled by the faster boats as sail in their gas, and you still have to get out of the way of the slower boats. But no correction is applied at finish, so you got that going for you. Sore losers have to come up with something else to blame...like so and so's boat is not really class legal, etc...

:lol:
Amen my brother.

#11 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

:lol:
Amen my brother.

Well said. Sometimes it's just about sailing.
Now back to the original question from jerryd: "Where are all the J/27's and which ones are for sale?"

#12 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

I did a bunch of OD racing in J/27s in the early 90s. The NAs in Buffalo an Annapolis were some of the best OD sailing I've done. Too bad the 27 OD class has died out on the national level. There may still be a concentration of boats around Buffalo. Always seemed to be a lot of them in that area.

The J/27 class participation probably suffered at the hands of the j-sprit boats. But who knows, maybe symmetrical spin boats will make a retro comeback. Just look at the MORC thread...

#13 piglet

piglet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

At one time we had a OD fleet of 15 or so boats in Buffalo. We are down to 3. The largest concentration of boats seem to be on Lake Ontario.

#14 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

At one time we had a OD fleet of 15 or so boats in Buffalo. We are down to 3. The largest concentration of boats seem to be on Lake Ontario.

Being from Rochester, NY originally and RYC, I'm familar with most of the clubs that area ofLake Ontario. I searched the race results from most of the active clubs and couldn't find one J-27 that raced in the past few years! Maybe they are all grouped up at one club that I missed :huh:

#15 skibrd

skibrd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:10 AM

27's in Buffalo in the 90's was the way to go. 15+ every wednesday night, great people sailing them. I learned how to sail in that fleet and miss it every time I go home for a wednesday night race. if i had a billion dollars i would buy the molds from J boats and start building them agian. they are truly great boats in all conditions.

#16 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

27's in Buffalo in the 90's was the way to go. 15+ every wednesday night, great people sailing them. I learned how to sail in that fleet and miss it every time I go home for a wednesday night race. if i had a billion dollars i would buy the molds from J boats and start building them agian. they are truly great boats in all conditions.

We now have 7 down the West End of Lake Ontario (between Wilson & Toronto)...a number of which are the old Buffalo Fleet...a couple more a bit further out (2 more around Barrie, another in Cobourg) and at least one other poitential new owner expected in the next couple months. The issue is still getting the boats/owners out as she's a bit of a handful to trailer given the keel stepped mast. We normally get a showing/fleet at Youngstown Levels each year. If anyone in the area is looking for a 27, PM me as I have a current list. And FYI...there are a set of Molds with the J/22 maker in South Africa...he'll make you one but why...a fantastic boat for sure but you could buy a used Farr 30, J80 or even Melges 30/30 for less.

#17 burnsed

burnsed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

I was told along time ago that the TPI molds were destroyed as a space saving measure, but there is or was a set in South Africa where 27's were built under license.

#18 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

how many 27's were made in the US?

#19 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

how many 27's were made in the US?

Officially 211...unsure of whether that includes any South African Built ones

#20 F_L

F_L

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:J/22, J/27

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

Jerry,
Check your email.
Fred

#21 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

One for sale in SoCal - Cheap Speed - asking $3500
Looks good from pics, not bad inventory either.

#22 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

location?

#23 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

location?

Came & went...was in Marina Del Ray...appears to have been Hull #20...was listed with Purcell Yachts (http://purcellyachts.com)...as the listing was pulled off Yachtworld & the Broker's site, assume ti was sold but maybe worth a call if you're in teh area.

#24 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

try the J27 Yahoo group. It has an active email list as well. I believe there are several J27 for sale on that list.

http://groups.yahoo....roup/J27Sailors

Mike
Nut Case
J27 #150
http://users.eastlink.ca/~mhoyt

#25 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

Sorry, driest hull and deck was a given. As well as a clean bottom.I wouldn't consider anything less. No more "projects" for me!

Jerry

Footloose #23

The J27 is by far one of the most forgiving boats I have ever sailed. It is a proven winner in all conditions.

Of course finding a dry boat is the number one priority for your search. However, if you want the J27 to be a lights out fast boat having the keel and rudder template-d is a must, as well as the bottom faired. Next on the list would be sails & the rig, the North 3DLs & chutes we have on our boat are used only for certain regattas in which we absolutely need them. They spend most of their life rolled in an air conditioned storage unit : ). The secondary sails we use are Doyle paneled ones which are from 2005-2007 and they still hold their shape. The next thing you want to do is have the rig overhauled, new stays, spreader bars and spreaders. We have just replaced our stays and are waiting for new spreaders and bars from Hall...since January :/ (Mind you, Hall has bigger fish to fry than our project). The winches we have on our boat are all original but have been restored 100% and work terrifically. Spectra backstay with cascading system is a must as well. Getting all of the unwanted weight on the boat helps out a lot. Having the proper rig tune for the conditions can not be stressed enough. If you nail the rig settings the boat is a rocket ship.

If anyone wants to discuss what else we have done to our boat I will be willing to share rig settings & sail selections.

Fair sailing

-G

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_8363.JPG
  • DSC_5889.JPG

#26 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

Jerry

Footloose #23

The J27 is by far one of the most forgiving boats I have ever sailed. It is a proven winner in all conditions.

Of course finding a dry boat is the number one priority for your search. However, if you want the J27 to be a lights out fast boat having the keel and rudder template-d is a must, as well as the bottom faired. Next on the list would be sails & the rig, the North 3DLs & chutes we have on our boat are used only for certain regattas in which we absolutely need them. They spend most of their life rolled in an air conditioned storage unit : ). The secondary sails we use are Doyle paneled ones which are from 2005-2007 and they still hold their shape. The next thing you want to do is have the rig overhauled, new stays, spreader bars and spreaders. We have just replaced our stays and are waiting for new spreaders and bars from Hall...since January :/ (Mind you, Hall has bigger fish to fry than our project). The winches we have on our boat are all original but have been restored 100% and work terrifically. Spectra backstay with cascading system is a must as well. Getting all of the unwanted weight on the boat helps out a lot. Having the proper rig tune for the conditions can not be stressed enough. If you nail the rig settings the boat is a rocket ship.

If anyone wants to discuss what else we have done to our boat I will be willing to share rig settings & sail selections.

Fair sailing

-G

hope those are your wed night beer can sails, cause they be ugly!

#27 sloansailing

sloansailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:05 AM

All,

Please stop making me miss my boat! These boats are so sweet, nothing better under 30 ft.

If I recall the builder in South Africa claimed they could produce a finished boat for $40k. That was a few years ago.

#28 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

Our local club just took in a J27, donation from a generous guy who no long sails. Plan is to fix it up and sell it.. If anyone would be interested - pm me.

#29 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

1989 J/27 just came out on Kijiji- Toronto

#30 CaptiveHeart

CaptiveHeart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:cruising and some racing

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

I bought hull 147 in Minnesota 2 years ago. I chose the J/27 because I had decided 27' was a good size for Lake Minnetonka (near Minneapolis). I was looking for a boat that would be more family friendly than my Hobie 18 or my Laser. This is my first keel boat, tho I have a lot of experience on dinghies. It did not take long for the racers to approach me and I have since been roped into PHRF racing. I have rarely used the new set of Kevlar sails the boat came with until I know better what I am doing. I am still trying to get a sense for how rig tune affects performance. Last year I had the shrouds set per the manufacturer's specs (uppers and lowers around 1500) and this year I have started with them looser (uppers and lowers at 900 with mids around 400). I am also learning about adjustments for sail trim that were much simpler on smaller boats.

As for the condition of the boat, it did have some wet core around one stantion and we repaired that by going from the underside. The wet core extended from the winch to the cabin top. I have yet to replace deck hardware which appears to have been moved with signs of leakage around the old holes. It appears they were re-injected with resin and are not actively leaking.

I very much like this boat. My son and I lived on it for a week last summer and will do so again.

#31 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Captiv:
Your story sounds just like mine. I wanted a performance oriented daysailor that I could overnight on occassionally. I always like the J/27. When I brought it to the yacht club, 3 weeks prior to launch, a welcoming parade came over and looks like I too will now be PHRF racing. So far I couldn't be more pleased with my decision on this boat.
Good luck to you.
Speedsquare - J/27 Hull No.84

#32 EatingTrees

EatingTrees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

It's from the J fleet at Hudson Yacht Club- - picture and small description here.

Believe there is also one for sale in Montreal. Check the new j/27 owners site (Wikispaces. Much has been written about the one in VT

Good luck

#33 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

I bought hull 147 in Minnesota 2 years ago. I chose the J/27 because I had decided 27' was a good size for Lake Minnetonka (near Minneapolis). I was looking for a boat that would be more family friendly than my Hobie 18 or my Laser. This is my first keel boat, tho I have a lot of experience on dinghies. It did not take long for the racers to approach me and I have since been roped into PHRF racing. I have rarely used the new set of Kevlar sails the boat came with until I know better what I am doing. I am still trying to get a sense for how rig tune affects performance. Last year I had the shrouds set per the manufacturer's specs (uppers and lowers around 1500) and this year I have started with them looser (uppers and lowers at 900 with mids around 400). I am also learning about adjustments for sail trim that were much simpler on smaller boats.

As for the condition of the boat, it did have some wet core around one stantion and we repaired that by going from the underside. The wet core extended from the winch to the cabin top. I have yet to replace deck hardware which appears to have been moved with signs of leakage around the old holes. It appears they were re-injected with resin and are not actively leaking.

I very much like this boat. My son and I lived on it for a week last summer and will do so again.

I was the original owner of this boat! Bought new in 1987, only kept it for ~2 years. I hardly sailed it - my commitment to another high-end racing program kept me tied up so much that I probably sailed the boat only a dozen or so times in 2 years, and only raced it once! But we won that race (class and overall), and it was pretty exciting - 25-30kts w/4-6ft seas. We could keep up upwind with 33-35 footers, and offwind we planed past a Beneteau 42 as if it was tied to a rock. Sweet boat. There have been many times I wished I would have kept it, but it was sold in 1989 (I think - maybe 1990) to someone in Minnesota, who raced it pretty successfully for quite some time. The sail inventory changed - mine were all North, from the Pewaukee (now Chicago) loft - the new owner put UK's on her. He (and now apparently you!) kept the name and graphics - very cool (the name is from a song by a 70's progressive classically-influenced rock band named Renaissance)!

Good luck with the boat - glad to hear she's still alive and well. Would love to see photos of how she looks nowadays.

#34 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thought I would bump this one up, a few boats on the market right now, some of them really nice, so if you are or know someone looking for Cheap Speed, J27 is in there.
First year for mine and loooooooove it.

#35 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

1986 J/27 on E-Bay.

#36 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

At a buy it now price of 8900 it would be one of the cheapest 27 ever sold.

#37 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Bulkheads near chainplates looking pretty wet...

#38 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I am sure the boat is soaked but for $8900 it is still a deal.

#39 MW4506

MW4506

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

I've seen the survey on this boat. Unfortunately, it has a 6' x 4' area on the starboard side that is soft with core rot. This is in addition to elevated moisture levels throughout the deck. Its really too bad and there aren't very many of these around. Hopefully someone will be up to the challenge of fixing it. Having professionals fix it will far exceed the cost of the boat - $10k at a minimum.

#40 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded sailing.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

Might try SearchTempest or some other Craigslist tool - there is a nice looking one available in Berkeley, CA just listed on CL for 21k. I can look at it if necessary (not a J27 expert, but ok at looking at old boats).

#41 burnsed

burnsed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:32 AM

"Buy it now @8900" + 10k in repairs is still $2100 under the CA boat and I doubt that any of them are truly "dry."

#42 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

Might try SearchTempest or some other Craigslist tool - there is a nice looking one available in Berkeley, CA just listed on CL for 21k. I can look at it if necessary (not a J27 expert, but ok at looking at old boats).

Link?

#43 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

I know one that went for $8k without a trailer ...and another that went for $2k with a trailer..but that one had been abandoned on the hard for 10 years and is still undergoing restoration

#44 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

The one that sold for $2000 did not come with a trailer, I know cause I am the one who bought it. Interior was fucked, deck was like Sponge Bob, had no sails, no genoa tracks and the boom was missing. I have done all the work myself in the restore and she will splash for under $8000 total investment (plus sails).

#45 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

The one that sold for $2000 did not come with a trailer, I know cause I am the one who bought it. Interior was fucked, deck was like Sponge Bob, had no sails, no genoa tracks and the boom was missing. I have done all the work myself in the restore and she will splash for under $8000 total investment (plus sails).

And she looks AWESOME!!!!!!!

#46 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

#47 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

You are 100% right. With no pics no one can prove how bad the boat was. Had her surveyed last week and everything is solid. Hope to get it wet come spring.

#48 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

You are 100% right. With no pics no one can prove how bad the boat was. Had her surveyed last week and everything is solid. Hope to get it wet come spring.

Post the one with the Snow Drift On The Deck, The Green Liquid Interior, The Wasp Nest & the Green Oxidised Copper Bootom...those are my faves

#49 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

A $2000 J27 after about 100 hours worth of labour.

Attached Thumbnails

• Port Hope-20111002-00026.JPG
  • IMG-20111021-00049.JPG

#50 piglet

piglet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

Post the one with the Snow Drift On The Deck, The Green Liquid Interior, The Wasp Nest & the Green Oxidised Copper Bootom...those are my faves

Trust him it was bad. Sat at RCR in Buffalo for 10 years. Never aired out or pumped out. The sad part is that is was in perfect condition before the moron that owned it last abandoned it.
The boat on Ebay is the old New Wave from Buffalo. Won quite a few races when it was here.

#51 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

Is funny how the internet brings people together. I have seen the survey of the one on EBay as it was sent to me by a potential buyer. Also have been in email contact with a couple of others who posted on this list. I think my friend Speedsquare had the best boat out of the box of those I know and even it has some problems. Expect these boats to either have a wet deck and coachroof or have a repaired deck and coachroof - that seems common.

Our boat started out asking 19900 by previous owner who did in fact take care of most things on the boat - just not the deck or coachroof and it had cruising sails. $7000 USD purchase was what I negotiated since it needed work and now up to $24000 to get the boat close to where we want it. New #1, #3, main, spin, halyards, sole, recored deck, dried out coachroof, everything rebedded, new cradle, new trailer, new motor (was stolen), new or replaced instruments and more. Was 150 hrs to get in the water the first season, 50 to continue in the second.

Fun boats - longer learning curve to get the most out of them than some others I have sailed. All are old but the ones in South Africa.

Mike

#52 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

So you have $12,000 into boat, $2000 into trailer and $10,000 into sails. Seems like a great deal.

#53 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

It Happenned!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1203101304c.jpg
  • 1203101305.jpg
  • 1203101305a.jpg
  • 1203101305b.jpg
  • 1203101305c.jpg
  • 1203101305d.jpg

#54 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

So you have $12,000 into boat, $2000 into trailer and $10,000 into sails. Seems like a great deal.

I have a quote for some front line race sails, No.1, No.3 and main for +/- $6000.-

#55 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

It Happenned!!!

Wow!!! What a toxic waste zone! :blink: What's she look like now?

#56 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded sailing.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

http://sfbay.craigsl...2675660122.html

Link?

#57 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

It Happenned!!!

Those pics look photo shopped to me.

#58 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

That boat has spent the last year in a heated shop. It has been 100% gutted, 6 large areas of the deck have been recored and one area in the hull. Had it surveyed last week and it is dry and solid. Will have her ready for the water come spring with less then $8000 total investment (plus sails). Would not be possible without a heated place to dry the boat.

Attached Thumbnails

• Port Hope-20111002-00026.JPG

#59 Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

Must be nice to have a building for boat storage and work shop and write it off as a farm building, I'm just jealous. Now all you have to do is learn how to sail.

#60 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Must be nice to have a building for boat storage and work shop and write it off as a farm building, I'm just jealous. Now all you have to do is learn how to sail.

Slumming on J forum I see. Figured you would be spending your time crying to the PHRF guys about your rating.
Yes, having in door storage is great. Wouldn't have taking on the J27 project without it.

#61 Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Did you see how they fucked up the fleet winner flags? Andy even got some green flags.
What a bunch of idiots.

#62 SailMoore1

SailMoore1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Sailboats

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

The J27 is also on my short list of potential boats. I have read with interest the comments in this thread about wanting a dry boat with templated foils, good sails and updated rigging. I have looked at 2 boats so far and both have had wet core / rot issues in the deck material. Based on other forum entires this appears to be a common issue. Are there any other issues to be aware of?

The wet core material in the deck is an issue I can live with and repair as I have done it on another boat. If the wet core is in the hull that might be more of a project than I want. But I have not seen anyone taking about wet hulls.

#63 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

The J27 is also on my short list of potential boats. I have read with interest the comments in this thread about wanting a dry boat with templated foils, good sails and updated rigging. I have looked at 2 boats so far and both have had wet core / rot issues in the deck material. Based on other forum entires this appears to be a common issue. Are there any other issues to be aware of?

The wet core material in the deck is an issue I can live with and repair as I have done it on another boat. If the wet core is in the hull that might be more of a project than I want. But I have not seen anyone taking about wet hulls.

Well core is the big issue and you are correct, a design flaw from the era. All core can be replaced...it's just easier to do on the deck than in the hull. Otherwise, the boats are pretty rock solid.

#64 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

As of this post there are still more hulls available for sale than potential owners. If there is anyone contemplating upgrading their boat to a J/27 for the coming season...drop me a message through this site and I can hook you up with a range of quality boats that will meet most any requirement from project to turnkey.

#65 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

As of this post there are still more hulls available for sale than potential owners. If there is anyone contemplating upgrading their boat to a J/27 for the coming season...drop me a message through this site and I can hook you up with a range of quality boats that will meet most any requirement from project to turnkey.

tell me about project boats.

#66 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

tell me about project boats.

Have a friend who might be interested in a good turn-key boat.

#67 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

They are almost all project boats now. Just some are bigger projects than others ...

#68 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

They are almost all project boats now. Just some are bigger projects than others ...

Fair point...but a project well worth undertaking

#69 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

Fair point...but a project well worth undertaking

I think Mike knows of what he speaks. Have you seen the photos of what he started with and what he sails now? A lot of sweat equity has got him a boat most of us could be envious of.

#70 albaston

albaston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

its really nice to see j 27 and I think the J27 is possibly the best J-Boats design ever.

#71 ctbeercan

ctbeercan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hull 126 back on e-bay after hull repair.

#72 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

Link?

#73 ctbeercan

ctbeercan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2ebcb7b361

Link?

#74 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

J27 has always struck me as one hell of a design. Worlds, galaxies better than J24s and nimbler than J29s. Problem is, there are so few of the doggone things. I'll be delighted to quit sailing my horrible awful no good very bad J24 if and when somebody can point me to a class with better competition. The only other class with so much ridiculously talented competition and such dreadful boats, that I can think of, is Optis. Maybe Stars.

#75 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

There were officially 211..we can still locate close to 140 of them...and we are amassing a fleet in the Western End of Lake Ontario (14 at the moment)...at the expense of the old fleets in Montreal, Buffalo, LIS & your area. Having grown up sailing the 24 I've got to agree with you...would never go back...and as for moving forward...yet to find as much bang for the buck. So move to Canada...we also have beer eh?

#76 riracer

riracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • Interests:You're on SA and wondering???

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

its really nice to see j 27 and I think the J27 is possibly the best J-Boats design ever.

It is certainly one of the prettiest boats the ever designed. So I bought one! Just a bigger version of the J22 I own, or so my crew and I have decided to believe!

#77 Volante

Volante

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

There's one on eBay, needs drying out and stanchion repair.

#78 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

J/27 on e-bay
Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2ebcb7b361

#79 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Anyone bidding on this boat? Only 5 hours too go.

#80 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

No bids on the eday boat.

#81 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

No bids on the eday boat.

it was not an auction with bids. it was a classified ad where you could make an offer and according to the history there were 3 offers.

#82 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I see that now. Offers of $2000 and $5000 seem low to me.

#83 LeoPNW

LeoPNW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hi All-
I am looking for a J27 in the Seattle area. If anyone on this list knows of one in decent condition, please forward the information. I'd like a boat that has a trailer and does not need major work.
Thanks,
Leo

#84 ctbeercan

ctbeercan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

J/27 trailer on craigslist out of Connecticut.
http://newhaven.crai...3157174340.html

#85 uncorrected

uncorrected

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Interacting with other sailors!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

True that J/27s were built in South Africa and I got the very last one built - Smackwater Jack. Towed her 6000kms over crappy roads through nasty customs checkpoints to Dar es Salaam at gigantic and expense. Best boat I have ever had and love her to bits. If you want a new J/27, Manuel Mendez still has the mould, but it would cost a small fortune to commission a new one, tho' I know a few folks have though about it.

#86 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

anybody have info on hull #111 that is being sold in the other thread?

#87 burnsed

burnsed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

True that J/27s were built in South Africa and I got the very last one built - Smackwater Jack. Towed her 6000kms over crappy roads through nasty customs checkpoints to Dar es Salaam at gigantic and expense. Best boat I have ever had and love her to bits. If you want a new J/27, Manuel Mendez still has the mould, but it would cost a small fortune to commission a new one, tho' I know a few folks have though about it.

I'm one one of those guys that has thought about it but all I want is the hull and deck and I actually tried to contact him a while back. I have all the other parts. I wanted to evaluate the cost of going that way vs. having the deck and cockpit rebuilt on my boat. That and what are the costs of putting all back together. Up side is a virtually new boat down side what is the cost.

#88 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

anybody have info on hull #111 that is being sold in the other thread?

Attached Thumbnails

• Forward interior.jpg
  • Aft interior.jpg

#89 Pointy End

Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Talk about gutted!!
Didn't the tabbed/glassed in furniture add any structural strength to those boats?
No stabbin' happenin' in that yacht after the regatta!!

#90 burnsed

burnsed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

Looks like he screwed up a perfectly good boat to save 100 lbs. Makes no sense at all and have to wonder if he reported the changes to his PHRF committee.

#91 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I could be mistaken, but was this not the boat that was in the Bahamas racing? If it is, has been for sale at various times at various prices with various delivery options.

Still, new definition of "GUTTED"

#92 Ccunningham

Ccunningham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

J27can059, still have that list of j27 around for sale? Trying to upgrade from my 24.

#93 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

J27can059, still have that list of j27 around for sale? Trying to upgrade from my 24.

Yup...still got a list...send me an e-Mail at andrew_riem@hotmail.com and I'll send it back to ya

#94 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

http://ontario.kijij...?AdId=404606536

Link to project boat in Ontario

#95 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=404606536

Link to project boat in Ontario

Details & Contact at:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-J-27-W0QQAdIdZ404606536

#96 Pointy End

Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

C' Mon.............Who wants to sell their Well Equipped / Lots of New Sails / Dry / Great Condition J27????

#97 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

C' Mon.............Who wants to sell their Well Equipped / Lots of New Sails / Dry / Great Condition J27????

I will ...... For one meeeeeelion dollars.

#98 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

There's one for sale here in MB, no motor he was using a 2 hp honda though.

Asking 12 K. Not too sure on the sail condition, they looked good on the water though, fast boat. I'd hate to see it go as it's a great boat and fun competition on wednesday nights

http://winnipeg.kiji...QAdIdZ419301987

#99 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

http://www.yachtworl...X/United-States

http://www.grapevine...did=211&catid=4

#100 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

So the one in MAnitoba has a stool instead of the junk box as you enter the boat. Where do you put all your odds and ends?

Just sayin.

so now J/27 is a Vampire boat????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users