J27 availability

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

#101 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

So the one in MAnitoba has a stool instead of the junk box as you enter the boat. Where do you put all your odds and ends?

Just sayin.

so now J/27 is a Vampire boat????

In the sink with the cell phone and the half eaten ham sandwich from the last regatta. The handles of rum fit nicely under the stool.

#102 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Interesting, one of the oldest, #8 and one of the youngest, #165 are on the market. Got me thinking, anyone know if Hull No. 1 is still alive?

#103 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Who owns Bohica now?

She's a beaut'.

#104 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Moved to PCYC - last I heard. Ask Curved Air - He knows all

#105 Bash24

Bash24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

I like the J27 and its on my short list for my next race boat. However, they're tough to find. I'm surprised there are so few around for sale considering the numbers built? Is it just that owners of them are happy and just keep hanging on?

J27s are cool, no doubt. But, do you know what is cooler? One Design racing.

J24, bro. Work on skills, not boat selection.

#106 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Moved to PCYC - last I heard. Ask Curved Air - He knows all

Correct...currently in Port Credit/Lake Ontario...Not For Sale

#107 Blackadder

Blackadder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Interesting, one of the oldest, #8 and one of the youngest, #165 are on the market. Got me thinking, anyone know if Hull No. 1 is still alive?

I thought that the first J/27's were built with shorter rigs, do you know if they were re-rigged with the current layout ?

#108 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

I like the J27 and its on my short list for my next race boat. However, they're tough to find. I'm surprised there are so few around for sale considering the numbers built? Is it just that owners of them are happy and just keep hanging on?

Should have been in Oakville in August, pretty cool OD racing among J/27's.

#109 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I thought that the first J/27's were built with shorter rigs, do you know if they were re-rigged with the current layout ?

Ask Abbi with Flyer/#3 in RI...that's the earliest one I know of that is sailing...but I think you're right...I recall hearing that #1 had a shorter rig

#110 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Grew up sailing 24s as a kid...and now have a 27. No comparison...27 is a far superior and far more challenging boat to sail (well & fast). Quantity does not always equate to quality.

#111 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Grew up sailing 24s as a kid...and now have a 27. No comparison...27 is a far superior and far more challenging boat to sail (well & fast). Quantity does not always equate to quality.

I'm calling bullshit on this post CA. Quantity in the case of J24 is the class' best quality - it fosters better competition, resale value, accesabiltiy to affordable 2nd hand gear, etc...

I've sailed the J27 and J24 more than most. The J27 is a great boat for sure but it is FAR easier to sail well than a J24.... In fact it's not even close. Why?

Because the J27 is a FAR better design. Period. But the J27 isn't even in the same solar system when it comes to comparing the classes.

I love the J27 but ease off on the parochialism. I'm with Bash and I have to say the sailor really looking to test him/herself chooses the class he/she can afford with the most competition. Who cares about the boat?

Have you seen the front page?

Nothing with a J in front of it is even remotely a 'performance' or 'fast' boat these days. And yes, that includes the J70. I'm not hating. I'm just (trying to be) rational. I may get a J70 eventually if the #s support it but I'll know going in it isn't really performance or fast.

I just want to race against as many people as possible when fleet racing. I'll learn to kiteboard if/when I want to go fast.

#112 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm calling bullshit on this post CA. Quantity in the case of J24 is the class' best quality - it fosters better competition, resale value, accesabiltiy to affordable 2nd hand gear, etc...

I've sailed the J27 and J24 more than most. The J27 is a great boat for sure but it is FAR easier to sail well than a J24.... In fact it's not even close. Why?

Because the J27 is a FAR better design. Period. But the J27 isn't even in the same solar system when it comes to comparing the classes.

I love the J27 but ease off on the parochialism. I'm with Bash and I have to say the sailor really looking to test him/herself chooses the class he/she can afford with the most competition. Who cares about the boat?

Nothing with a J in front of it is even remotely a 'performance' or 'fast' boat these days. And yes, that includes the J70. I'm not hating. I'm just (trying to be) rational. I may get a J70 eventually if the #s support it but I'll know going in it isn't really performance or fast.

I just want to race against as many people as possible when fleet racing. I'll learn to kiteboard if/when I want to go fast.

A Soviet General Officer once said, and this suffers in translation, "Quantity, truly massive quantity, has a quality all its own."

#113 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Stalin IIRC.

#114 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

1985, hull #111, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, solid condition, long continuing
> financial problems forces drastic/crazy, but necessary price cut. Now
> $6,500.00 request details & photos by email. Jerry

#115 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

Snowed today. Powder tommorrow. Time to go skiing!

Boat will still be there in April for sailing season....

#116 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

New On The Market (http://j27.wikispace...lace (for sale)) If memory serves me well...started life in Rochester…Went South to Florida and Then North to Maine…someone bring her home

Posted 1/15/2012
1989 J/27 "White Hawk", Hull #169, for sail. Faired bottom refinished in 2011. Triad dual axle trailer all rebuilt in 2009. 2008 5hp Nissan outboard. New instruments and compass 2009, electric system 2010, Awlgripped spars and new running rigging in 2010 and 2011. Self-tailing winches, and Hall Quickvang. New ports and rebedded most deck fittings 2009-10. Racing sails; North main 2007, North 3DL genoa 2008, Sobstad blade 2002, MSP spinnaker 2010, North Spinnaker 2006. Assorted older sails as well. Asking $21,500. Located in Falmouth, Maine. For information contact Tim Tolford at Tolford1@maine.rr.com.

Tim goes on to write, "That she's fast, well cared for and looking for a great new owner and that he and his crew have won most in our class PHRF and are now heading for one-design and more competition. We love WhiteHawk and the way she handled, a great boat and class."

#117 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Now On Yachtworld...The Infamous Big Dill (1988 #165)

http://www.yachtworl...X/United-States

#118 Plumber

Plumber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

So by this logic, we should sail shitty designed boats...no thank you sir, life is too short. I've raced the 24 for over ten years, and it was 9 years too many.