89 replies to this topic

#1 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Who's in for BAMA ( Bay Area Multihull Association ) 32nd DHF on Sat. April 9th ?

Check : 32nd DHF 2011 for updates, details, online entry link.
Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.
Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting

Skippers' meeting, Wednesday April 6, 2011 7:30 p.m. at the Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skippers meeting and Trophy presentation.

"Have a great race!"

For more info on past DHF SA DHF 2010 SA DHF 2009 SA DHF 2008

#2 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

We're in for this one. HapaGirl, Contour 34 Tri

#3 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Who's in for BAMA ( Bay Area Multihull Association ) 32nd DHF on Sat. April 9th ?

Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.
Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting

Skippers' meeting, Wednesday April 6, 2011 7:30 p.m. at the Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skipper's meeting and Trophy presentation.

"Have a great race!"

Andy Evans has written a book about single handing tips Download book on SSS site for FREE!

SA forum on the book

Thanks Andy and SSS !

#4 Corvo

Corvo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Spelling and grammar

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'm planning on it. It's been years since I've sailed out there with anyone else on board; gonna feel pretty weird.
Max - Solar Wind

#5 Clubber Lange's

Clubber Lange's

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

I'm signed up all the way from Chicago. Gonzo USA 377

#6 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Cool, have you done the race before?

Here are GPS track replays DHF 2010 race

#7 Clubber Lange's

Clubber Lange's

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

DHF virgins. We did the Fiasco in January and are gonna bring the boat back to Lake Michigan after the race. Sailing in the Bay and under the Golden Gate on my own boat was part of my life list and it's been incredible keeping the boat in Sausalito for the winter. Sure beats winter storage in the midwest.

#8 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

DHF virgins. We did the Fiasco in January and are gonna bring the boat back to Lake Michigan after the race. Sailing in the Bay and under the Golden Gate on my own boat was part of my life list and it's been incredible keeping the boat in Sausalito for the winter. Sure beats winter storage in the midwest.

Hell man, might as well hang out for the summer (at least until the Great Vallejo Race) when we actually have some breeze...and maybe, just maybe this infernal rain will have finally stopped!

#9 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hell man, might as well hang out for the summer (at least until the Great Vallejo Race) when we actually have some breeze...and maybe, just maybe this infernal rain will have finally stopped!

Yea, there's never any breeze for the DHF. Never, nope, hasn't ever happened...Hope you guys get some wind this year (it always seems to blow, or not, never in the sweet, comfy middle range).

#10 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Yea, there's never any breeze for the DHF. Never, nope, hasn't ever happened...Hope you guys get some wind this year (it always seems to blow, or not, never in the sweet, comfy middle range).

The record years seem to be pretty sweet- reach out and back- finish early afternoon (for the multis)

I think the comfy years are less memorable too..

#11 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Cool. If you are unfamiliar with the race conditions, please read the other SA Forums and the stories on the DHF page. Especially the pterodactyl (Olsen 40) incident

#12 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

14 day SF Forecast

Skippers' meeting, Wednesday April 6, 2011 7:30 p.m. at the Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skipper's meeting and Trophy presentation.

"Have a great race!"

#13 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

Alright, I'm a definite tentative maybe at this point. Decision by the end of the week. It's a work thing. If I did not have to work for a living I'd have more fun.

#14 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Alright, I'm a definite tentative maybe at this point. Decision by the end of the week. It's a work thing. If I did not have to work for a living I'd have more fun.

Hey the weather is just what you wanted..nice and comfy !
......with some theme music too

#15 ursus

ursus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:52 AM

Can't miss THE double handed classic!
Will need to do some repairs first...

#16 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Double Handed Lightship -DHLS interesting reading.

With all the rain this year, we've had several all day ebbs. So its probably worth watching to see what happens during the next week and pay attention to snowmelt

#17 ronnie_simpson

ronnie_simpson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:offshore sailing - racing round the world, trans-oceanic, solo, cruising, deliveries, inshore racing. all of it.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

USA 577 "WAFI" is planning on racing.

What other Mini's will be out there?

#18 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

USA 577 "WAFI" is planning on racing.

What other Mini's will be out there?

cool... (I still owe you some curry chicken)

#19 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

As long as I do not have to repair bulkhead tabbing afterwards a la 1999 I'm happy with the weather. I've even had some nice trips around the stinky rocks in light breeze, dolphins swimming by, birds flying etc. (I can tell you that it is important to was the jelly fish off the deck before the next day. The suckers really stick by the following afternoon.)

#20 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

As long as I do not have to repair bulkhead tabbing afterwards a la 1999 I'm happy with the weather. I've even had some nice trips around the stinky rocks in light breeze, dolphins swimming by, birds flying etc. (I can tell you that it is important to was the jelly fish off the deck before the next day. The suckers really stick by the following afternoon.)

1999 had a bit more breeze than forecasted for this year

Jon Kocol DHF 1999 on F25c .................... Joe S DHF 1999 on SEAWIND ..........

#21 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

Interesting how much those long range forecasts change over time. Its been and remains "good" but the flavor of "good" changes...

More sun than clouds.
Cool.58F49F
15 mph / WNW
0% precipt.

#22 Tinkerer007

Tinkerer007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Sailing an Olson 40 in the ocean.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

If you are searching for the Pterodactyl incident, put an "O" in OLSON 40.

Cool. If you are unfamiliar with the race conditions, please read the other SA Forums and the stories on the DHF page. Especially the pterodactyl (Olsen 40) incident

#23 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

Yes, Olson, as in Bree, not Olsen, as in Twins. ;)

Lack of wind in last week's DH LS was a little disappointing; hoping for more thrills next week.

Not. ;)

GRIBS don't go out as far as next Saturday, but it looks like we may still be squeezed between the inland low and the stable, slowly moving offshore High, winds NNW @ 25kts.

#24 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:32 AM

Yes, Olson, as in Bree, not Olsen, as in Twins. ;)

Lack of wind in last week's DH LS was a little disappointing; hoping for more thrills next week.

Not. ;)

GRIBS don't go out as far as next Saturday, but it looks like we may still be squeezed between the inland low and the stable, slowly moving offshore High, winds NNW @ 25kts.

oops on Olson.. I was a Bill Lee customer.

Check DHF 2008 for Pterodactyl O-40 incident- link in first post.

Short story. Not extraordinary conditions. 2 guys tossed in the drink 15-20 miles offshore. On the ball skipper who had been pacing them on a fun daysail noticed erratic behavior. Grabbed binocs. No one in the cockpit. Backtracked wake and saw 2 heads bobbing. Within 10-20- mins they were aboard the rescue boat. AMAZINGLY LUCKY!

#25 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

Interesting how much those long range forecasts change over time. Its been and remains "good" but the flavor of "good" changes...

More sun than clouds.
Cool.58F49F
15 mph / WNW
0% precipt.

Still good forecast.. wind is increasing.
Do you have all the required gear? Locating beacon in time to be registered etc?

A mixture of sun and clouds.
Cool.59F46F
24 mph / WSW
11% precipt

#26 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.
Cool.58F49F
15 mph / WNW
0% precipt.

Do you have all the required gear? Locating beacon in time to be registered etc?

Cool.59F46F
24 mph / WSW
11% precipt

I need flares (mine are expired). How long does it take to register one of those things? I'll likely just rent from Sal's again. Still waiting for my crew to confirm...tick-tock

#27 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.
Cool.58F49F
15 mph / WNW
0% precipt.

Cool.59F46F
24 mph / WSW
11% precipt

I need flares (mine are expired). How long does it take to register one of those things? I'll likely just rent from Sal's again. Still waiting for my crew to confirm...tick-tock

From the first post in last year forum (link above), register online which needs to be done by skippers meetings so BAMA can provide to CG to review with other material to issue the permit

#28 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Even more so the '99 DHF..... F31 pitchpoled on the back/'rough' side.... rescued in the breakers by Bruce Schwab sailing the Azzura 310, J/29 rolled, Harvey Schlasky dragging on tether - perished. DHF has the most carnage of the spring shorthanded races in the Gulf of the Farallones.

#29 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:00 PM

Even more so the '99 DHF..... F31 pitchpoled on the back/'rough' side.... rescued in the breakers by Bruce Schwab sailing the Azzura 310, J/29 rolled, Harvey Schlasky dragging on tether - perished. DHF has the most carnage of the spring shorthanded races in the Gulf of the Farallones.

Its definitely worthy of respect

#30 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.
Cool.58F49F
15 mph / WNW
0% precipt.

Cool.59F46F
24 mph / WSW
11% precipt

Weather still looking good- hope the SW holds :-)

Cool.56F46F
23 mph / SW
precipt. 19%

#31 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

Temerity is in. There are 50 entries as of Monday 1700 PDT, quite a diverse fleet from the Cal 20 through the Open 50.

#32 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Temerity is in. There are 50 entries as of Monday 1700 PDT, quite a diverse fleet from the Cal 20 through the Open 50.

Cool
5 more later last night for 55 and apparently accelerating. Improving weather too (for Sat.)

#33 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

Clearing Pt. Bonita on the way in in '99 was the only time I have felt a sense of "wow, we're going to live" after coming in off the ocean. Getting a gun shortly thereafter was kinda nice, too.

#34 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

Clearing Pt. Bonita on the way in in '99 was the only time I have felt a sense of "wow, we're going to live" after coming in off the ocean. Getting a gun shortly thereafter was kinda nice, too.

I had a similar feeling in the 2001 race..
..the strange thing was the race in the early '80s was a wonderful day and we thought the orange helo was out for practice.

#35 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

14 day SF Forecast

"Have a great race!"

More sun than clouds.
Cool.58F49F
15 mph / WNW
0% precipt.

Cool.59F46F
24 mph / WSW
11% precipt

Weather still looking good- hope the SW holds :-)

Cool.56F46F
23 mph / SW
precipt. 19%

Lookin' good
Passing clouds.
Cool.60F44F
22 mph / WSW
precipt 4%

Skippers meeting tonight- entries 66 now

#36 ursus

ursus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

Measured currents during the Double Handed Light Ship (March 26 2011)
Attached File  DHLS_sml.gif   948.62K   34 downloads

Tide tables for Golden Gate had slack at 07:13 (LT), max ebb 10:31 (3.6kn), slack 14:51, max flood 18:11 (2.9kn)

- this is measured data (not simulated) from http://www.norcalcurrents.org/
- long, red arrow is 2kn but data is averaged, so there can be much faster 'jets' of currents
- there is barely any flood, probably because the surface water is less dense (salinity) and wants to get out of the bay
- the animation cycles back after 21:00

Hint: DHF will be 2:15 offset in the tide cycle...

PM me for higher resolution

#37 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

[/quote]

Lookin' good
Passing clouds.
Cool.60F44F
22 mph / WSW
precipt 4%

Skippers meeting tonight- entries 66 now
[/quote]

Hmmm, PredictWind Saturday showing light and NW at 9:00am at the lightship, strengthening and backing a bit to WNW and low 20s by the afternoon.

NOAA not showing quite as much breeze
Synopsis...GULF OF THE FARALLONES...AND CORDELL BANK NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARIES...

HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC WILL INTENSIFY THE PRESSURE GRADIENT TODAY CREATING GALE FORCE CONDITIONS FOR THE OUTER WATERS. LOCAL GALE FORCE GUSTS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE IN SAN FRANCISCO AND MONTEREY BAYS. MODERATE PERIOD SWELL CONTINUES TO BUILD TODAY. GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS WILL CONTINUE FOR MUCH OF THE WORK WEEK. UNSETTLED WEATHER INCLUDING THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS RETURNS TONIGHT.
This Afternoon: NW wind 26 to 28 kt, with gusts as high as 35 kt. Sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 13 ft at 15 seconds and SSW 1 ft at 15 seconds. Wind waves around 4 ft.

Tonight: W wind 18 to 28 kt. A chance of rain, mainly after 11pm. Mixed swell...WNW 13 ft at 13 seconds and SSW 1 ft at 20 seconds. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft.

Thursday: WNW wind 22 to 28 kt, with gusts as high as 34 kt. Rain likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce small hail. Mixed swell...NW 12 to 13 ft at 13 seconds and SW 2 ft at 19 seconds. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft.

Thursday Night: NNW wind 14 to 24 kt. A slight chance of rain and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce small hail. Mixed swell...NW 12 to 13 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft.

Friday: NW wind 12 to 20 kt. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...NW 11 to 12 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Friday Night: NW wind 15 to 20 kt. Mostly clear. Mixed swell...NW 10 to 11 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Saturday: NW wind 13 to 18 kt. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...NW 10 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday Night: WNW wind 13 to 18 kt decreasing to 7 to 12 kt after midnight. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NW 7 to 9 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

#38 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

NOAA currently showing:

Fri...N winds 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 7 ft. NW swell 10 to 12 ft at 12 seconds and S 3 ft at 17 seconds. Slight chance of rain.

Fri Night...N winds 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 7 ft. NW swell 9 to 11 ft and S 3 ft.

Sat...NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 6 to 8 ft and S 3 ft.

But these predictions are frequently less than perfectly accurate, especially with regard to timing. So, here's hoping the Friday front doesn't dally by 12 hours...

#39 ursus

ursus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

NAM 12km model, near the islands, 12z Zulu run
GFS and CMC models are pretty similar, but less windy

Attached Files

#40 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:12 PM

Looks like the fcsts are moderating more...

#41 184

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:West Coast Sailing / Single Handed Offshore Racing

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:24 AM

Anybody know where to find division splits? Thought they said at the meeting last night they would be on the web by now but I cant find them.

#42 beamreach

beamreach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

As of 9:30pm said division splits are not posted.. BAMA says they want to make the most entertaining event possible, perhaps this is why they don't post on time.

Anyone know start time/division for Express 27?

#43 T-Rock

T-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:33 AM

Here you go:

http://www.jibeset.n...02946512fl.html

See you out there!

#44 184

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:West Coast Sailing / Single Handed Offshore Racing

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:46 AM

Thanks t rock. Wish they would include boat types. Bitch bitch bitch

#45 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Forecast getting lighter....

#46 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

SailFlow still shows 20-24k at the Lightship and Island the bulk of the day.

#47 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

Interesting, predictwind is calling for low teens up till noon, high teens afterwards out at the Farallones

At the gate, a drifter at the start, building to the standard 18+ at 3 pm

#48 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

Light wind start. Surprisingly strong flood on the start. Finally some offshore breeze for a down wind start.
Attached File  DSC00294 moore start 4d.JPG   290.01K   64 downloads
I think the whole fleet had a late start by at least 30 mins
Nobody over early
Attached File  DSC00295 fleet late start 4d.JPG   235.48K   65 downloads

Smart boats tacked/bore away into the hole flushed towards Alcatraz/angel to get around the hole and then tack on the ebb express out the gate by the North Tower.

About 20 % have now retired. seasick and gear and Wind and waves reasons. Over 20 knts and 8 secs on waves . 73 starters out of 76 entrants

#49 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

ANARCHY on the Race Deck

Attached File  DSC00290 dhf sa 4d.JPG   238.49K   43 downloads

#50 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

ANARCHY on the Race Deck

Attached File  DSC00290 dhf sa 4d.JPG   238.49K   43 downloads

First boat- Mutihull "Tatiana" 2:21pm
First monohull- Open 50- 2:49pm

#51 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:28 AM

Bob,
One boat down off of Ocean Beach with one recovered, one missing. Can you say which boat it was?

#52 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

Christ, my VHF is going bananas. Sounds like quite a lot of carnage out there.

#53 stinky

stinky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:42 AM

any information you can share?

#54 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

any information you can share?

I'm just listening to the VHF. Coasties are initiating a search just off Ocean Beach.

#55 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

SF Chronicle

#56 Travieso

Travieso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

Is there a way to monitor SF station channel 16 online? A quick search is not returning anything useful.

#57 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Is there a way to monitor SF station channel 16 online? A quick search is not returning anything useful.

I don't think so. The USCG helo is using 21A. 22A is also busy, but unintelligible from my location.

#58 Travieso

Travieso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:22 AM

Do you know if it is a boat from the race. The fact that there were two people onboard is a bit worrisome. Not that it matters, but I know quite a few people out there today.

#59 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

Do you know if it is a boat from the race. The fact that there were two people onboard is a bit worrisome. Not that it matters, but I know quite a few people out there today.

Roger that.

#60 ursus

ursus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

If it was a boat from the race it must have been a fast one. First mono finished 20 minutes after the time reported in the article. Time could be wrong, though.

#61 Carbontech

Carbontech

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

I don't think so. The USCG helo is using 21A. 22A is also busy, but unintelligible from my location.

Anything on ch 71 - RC?

#62 I'm War Dog's Ghost

I'm War Dog's Ghost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

Roger that.

-ep wishing the best.

#63 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:46 AM

All DHF racers in and/or accounted for! The missing boat is not ours but the CG is still out in force.
Lot of retirements
Time for dinner

#64 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

I hope they find the missing person. Was a pretty and lumpy day out there. Now, if someone could just explain to me where that flood at the start came from...painful, painful...It was supposed to be ebbing nicely at that hour, and was out in the middle of the bay...

#65 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

Doesn't appear to be a racer- KGO

#66 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:11 AM

Rough day out there - we bailed at the bar. Tough getting a reef in, lost a jib sheet, blah blah blah. I think it all went wrong when we raised the main, and a robins nest including 4 eggs tumbled onto the deck....

Thanks Bob!

#67 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

Rough day out there - we bailed at the bar. Tough getting a reef in, lost a jib sheet, blah blah blah. I think it all went wrong when we raised the main, and a robins nest including 4 eggs tumbled onto the deck....

Thanks Bob!

Home-wrecker!

#68 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:24 AM

DHF Racers.....

Preliminary results are posted:

http://www.jibeset.n...02946512r1.html

Hope everybody had a GREAT race.

Let's hear the stories!!!

Cheers!!!

-MH....(on the Race Deck from 7:15am until after the last boat finished)

#69 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

Well I spent the worst half hour of my life making love to the spin pole and trying to wrestle the #1 back on board, as it tried to make like a sea anchor. I pulled a muscle pretty bad in my upper abdomen and I'm going to need a new starboard lower diagonal shroud. Very glad to get home! Only 4/9 finishers in our division.

#70 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

The 2011 DHF Race Committee:
Attached File  2011DHFCommittee.jpg   349.56K   43 downloads

Cheers!!!

-MH

#71 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

First to Finish:

F-9AX "Tatiana"
Attached File  Tatiana.jpg   911.82K   56 downloads

-MH

#72 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

First Mono to Finish:

Open 50 "Truth" (Ex Pegasus):
Attached File  Truth.jpg   752.26K   41 downloads

-MH

#73 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

First Place Division 8 (Moore 24)

"Nevermoore" (Ex 8-Ball):
Attached File  NeverMoore.jpg   927.54K   36 downloads

-MH

#74 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

If it was a boat from the race it must have been a fast one. First mono finished 20 minutes after the time reported in the article. Time could be wrong, though.

Assuming they were on the return leg..could have been outbound boat hypothetically- but it wasn't.

Congrats btw!

#75 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Don't forget to send in your GPS tracks- even if you retired- could be interesting!

DHF 2010 GPS tracks

#76 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

Update on the non DHF boat- wind gusts to 45

#77 usa35018

usa35018

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

Well DT had a great Start and we were first out of the Bay with Trunk Monkey the only other mono that managed to exit the bay with out being caught at the start by the tide.
f
Once we cleared Bonita we were the Northern Most boat in the fleet and were taking pretty Steep waves off the shoals but managed to get thru pretty well beside banged around a bit. The wind staedily built to the low 20's just off Bonita then as we progressed a mile or so out out the waves and wind continued to increase up to solid 26 with gust close to 30. By this point we were trying to slow DT Down and she was just jumping off the backs of the steep waves and hard into the next. I thought our rig was going to come down every time we leaped off the next wave. Pat went down to get his handheld GPS to get a heading for the Rock and I was up alone for a while we lept off a huge wave and when we came down the boat came down with such force I heard a crack from the steering Quadrant area Posted Imageat the Same time our back stay handle was flung overboard into the ocean. ( Take note wow would have been smart to a have a tether on that!) Now the rig was unadjustable great ! Posted ImageWe sailed along for a good 4 or 5 more miles waiting to see if the wind would increase or subside during that time the creaks from the steering area was coming and going depending on load. I asked pat what the heading was for the island and he gave me the news that our only mapping gps had taken a shit! 12 Miles out we decided to give up on our attempt of First mono hull to finish !

We continued upwind until an inbound freighter took our stern and followed him until we new we were in the channel. On our way back in we sailed for 10 minutes before we saw the open 50 coming up wind. I think we would have had our shot as our J125 has the legs down wind and the 50 had some catching up to do. He probably would have caught us but our start had paid off huge . We hugged the green Markers all the way in dodging 3 in Bound and Outbound freighter's. Under Main alone trying to keep the boat as unloaded as we could we still hit over 18 knots on multiple occasions ( a few times the speedo would be reading 16 17 and then it would drop down even though the boat was still accelerating then I realized the speedos were just both completely out of the water. The 125 is a joy to drive down wind when your not worrying about your rudder !

Once we hit Racoon straits I got a real good look at the steering down below. There was the culprit a broken support tube that supports the upper Rudder bearing and keeps the rudder shaft aligned. It prevents side to side movement of the steering shaft under load. I removed the top inspection cover and you could visibly see the carbon rudder post moving starboard to port NOT GOOD.

Im Thankful we got back safe. I was picturing having to climb in the life raft.

#78 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

Well DT had a great Start and we were first out of the Bay with Trunk Monkey the only other mono that managed to exit the bay with out being caught at the start by the tide.
f
Once we cleared Bonita we were the Northern Most boat in the fleet and were taking pretty Steep waves off the shoals but managed to get thru pretty well beside banged around a bit. The wind staedily built to the low 20's just off Bonita then as we progressed a mile or so out out the waves and wind continued to increase up to solid 26 with gust close to 30. By this point we were trying to slow DT Down and she was just jumping off the backs of the steep waves and hard into the next. I thought our rig was going to come down every time we leaped off the next wave. Pat went down to get his handheld GPS to get a heading for the Rock and I was up alone for a while we lept off a huge wave and when we came down the boat came down with such force I heard a crack from the steering Quadrant area Posted Imageat the Same time our back stay handle was flung overboard into the ocean. ( Take note wow would have been smart to a have a tether on that!) Now the rig was unadjustable great ! Posted ImageWe sailed along for a good 4 or 5 more miles waiting to see if the wind would increase or subside during that time the creaks from the steering area was coming and going depending on load. I asked pat what the heading was for the island and he gave me the news that our only mapping gps had taken a shit! 12 Miles out we decided to give up on our attempt of First mono hull to finish !

We continued upwind until an inbound freighter took our stern and followed him until we new we were in the channel. On our way back in we sailed for 10 minutes before we saw the open 50 coming up wind. I think we would have had our shot as our J125 has the legs down wind and the 50 had some catching up to do. He probably would have caught us but our start had paid off huge . We hugged the green Markers all the way in dodging 3 in Bound and Outbound freighter's. Under Main alone trying to keep the boat as unloaded as we could we still hit over 18 knots on multiple occasions ( a few times the speedo would be reading 16 17 and then it would drop down even though the boat was still accelerating then I realized the speedos were just both completely out of the water. The 125 is a joy to drive down wind when your not worrying about your rudder !

Once we hit Racoon straits I got a real good look at the steering down below. There was the culprit a broken support tube that supports the upper Rudder bearing and keeps the rudder shaft aligned. It prevents side to side movement of the steering shaft under load. I removed the top inspection cover and you could visibly see the carbon rudder post moving starboard to port NOT GOOD.

Im Thankful we got back safe. I was picturing having to climb in the life raft.

Wow, thanks for the writeup and glad you made it in ok.

#79 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

When is the awards party/ceremony? At OYC I hope...

I am writing up a blog entry on our race, but unfortunately we had some strange electrical problems and my handheld GPS ran out of track memory. So I have only a partial track that is probably not worth uploading. Three or four times slamming down off a big wave there was an electronic glitch somehow, and the instrument system thought an MOB had been triggered (well, it could have been an MOB) and I didn't know how to clear it without resetting everything. And we were feeling too beat up by the time we reached the rocks to snap any pics, although it was very beautiful out there.

#80 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

Update on the non DHF boat- wind gusts to 45

It was a swamped tugboat http://www.sfexamine...nks-ocean-beach

#81 ursus

ursus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Any good explanations about what happened to the currents at the start? It was not supposed to be that way?!

#82 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

Any good explanations about what happened to the currents at the start? It was not supposed to be that way?!

My guess is that the massive ebbs that were across the whole bay and tide cycles in recent weeks are actually decreasing ( no rain for a week and snowmelt hasn't begun) so that you had a countercurrent from the ebb at the north (which is bigger/closer to sierra souce and still bigger than normal).

My understanding is that the DHLS had bigger waves though less wind than DHF. That supports the decreased ebb argument which allowed a countercurrent to form (instead of flushed out the gate) in DHF

#83 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

My guess is that the massive ebbs that were across the whole bay and tide cycles in recent weeks are actually decreasing ( no rain for a week and snowmelt hasn't begun) so that you had a countercurrent from the ebb at the north (which is bigger/closer to sierra souce and still bigger than normal).

My understanding is that the DHLS had bigger waves though less wind than DHF. That supports the decreased ebb argument which allowed a countercurrent to form (instead of flushed out the gate) in DHF

We were thinking something like that, too (while trying to figure out how we were ever going to get to the start line).

#84 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Congrats on your 2nd in fleet...how was it?

#85 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

Good report by Wafi over on the Other Place.

#86 beamreach

beamreach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

Anyone know where and when trophy presentation?

#87 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

Anyone know where and when trophy presentation?

Details still being worked. Sorry for the delay. Stay Tuned!

#88 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

Sorry for the late/short notice:

"The trophy presentation meeting for Wednesday, May 4 8-9pm at
Oakland Yacht Club.In the regatta room."

Check link below for updates!

"Have a great race!"

#89 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

Tomorrow is the last day for entry before price goes up. Weather forecast looking nice.

Here's the new forum with the details SA Forum link DHF 2012

#90 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

March 22nd is 35th DHF

Forum link http://forums.sailin...76#entry4483879

Weather seems promising http://www.myforecas...56&metric=false

0 user(s) are reading this topic