#1 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:27 AM

The new Jeff Hammond Boat Shop at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock, WA is almost ready for the start of the Perry "Sliver" project. Hopefully we start early in April. I will try to get some pictures posted as we move along on this undertaking.

Bob has promised to shore me up when I get nervous about what I have gotten myself into with this vessel. Fortunately we have a great team working with us on the design, planning and build (including several members of the CA group.)

The Perry Sliver Class Sloop was designed as a simple day sailor for the pure pleasure of sailing. I don't care about rating rules and I don't intend to cruise her offshore at all. Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and the inland passage north will be about the limit of where we take her.

I am very happy to be working with the School on this project and appreciate the enthusiasum of instructor Bruce Blatchley and his students in the contemporary wood building class.

http://www.nwboatschool.org/

Attached Files

#2 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

Good news Kim. This will be very interesting and probably an incredible result.

#3 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:15 AM

Excellent Kim, looking forward to it!! And a spanking new shed as well!!

#4 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:35 AM

That's great news. I worked with Bruce in Bellingham for a year or so before he went to NSWB. He's a great guy and a very skilled shipwright. Your in good hands. Looking forward to following the project.

#5 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:47 AM

So excited for you that your dream and efforts are one step closer to sailing reality! B)
What an fantastic place to have it built. Close enough that maybe we Canuck CA'ists, can drive down a couple times to see the progress, if that's okay with you. The whole process sounds sounds interesting and must be very gratifying for all involved.
How long do you anticipate it will take to build?

#6 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:55 AM

So excited for you that your dream and efforts are one step closer to sailing reality! B)
What an fantastic place to have it built. Close enough that maybe we Canuck CA'ists, can drive down a couple times to see the progress, if that's okay with you. The whole process sounds sounds interesting and must be very gratifying for all involved.
How long do you anticipate it will take to build?

My grandfather was a Canuck so you would always be welcomed.

I expect it to take a while due to having to fit into the School's teaching schedule so I am thinking Summer 2012 to hit the water. Maybe sooner, time will tell.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I may need some morale support before this is over. I kind of bit off a lot here. (Thank goodness I have Bob on my team.)

#7 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:58 AM

Definately worthy of a "Keg in a shed" party.

#8 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

Kim,

When there's a party let us know and the S'agapo gang may head up. Yours is a wonderful design and goal.

"We who sail narrow boats salute you!"

(My main trimmer cooked up that saying)

Best of luck, and may her keel be straight and true.

The crew of S'agapo

#9 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Good to hear Kimb. do you or the shop mind if I come up once in a while and take pictures?

#10 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Can anyone post a drawing of this boat in question??

#11 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Gate

there is a thread floating around here about Kim's boat 'Sliver'.

#12 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Good to hear Kimb. do you or the shop mind if I come up once in a while and take pictures?

Jose,

I would like to have you come by and add your wisdom to the project. I plan to visit most Monday's so let's see if we can link up once we get underway.
I could pick you up at the ferry so you could avoid the cost of driving on.

Kim

#13 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

Sonadora is being modest, he created this rendering of the vessel sometime ago. (We have made a few changes (that is not the actual blub configuration) but it is close enough for you to get the idea of the vessel.)
I used his work to show the team what we are going after. He has been one of the many CA'ers who have contributed to the project and Bob and I appreciate all of your input.

Nice bunch of people here on CA.

Kim

Attached Files

• Attached File  main.JPG   336.5K   1094 downloads

#14 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Crap...what was I thinking?? I watched that thread for weeks.

She's a beauty.

#15 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Sonadora is being modest, he created this rendering of the vessel sometime ago. (We have made a few changes (that is not the actual blub configuration) but it is close enough for you to get the idea of the vessel.)
I used his work to show the team what we are going after. He has been one of the many CA'ers who have contributed to the project and Bob and I appreciate all of your input.

Kim

Kim and Sons,

Each time I look at that rendering of the Sliver I am struck by how similar the shapes are to the legendary Bill Lee design "Merlin". There is something very very fast about that shape and is makes me want to send her sliding down some long Pacific swells to see what she'll do!

Beau

#16 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

While I appreciate the compliments, remember...this is Bob's design. He knows fast.

#17 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

Fantastic to see an image of it again. The clean, simple, elegant lines and sleek shape are very appealing. I love that it has a tiller, and the fact that the jib and main can all be controlled from the aft cockpit.

The apparent simplicity belies the fact that much thought, planning and experience goes into the design process.

Thanks for sharing with us. I agree ... it's a pretty cool group of people here.

#18 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Oh Boomberries, you say that to all the guys. But seriously, sitting up here on the beach in what I call the "golden cage" CA is one of my few connections with the real world, of sailing.
I saw an otter yesterday. He gave me the paw.

#19 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

Oh Boomberries, you say that to all the guys. But seriously, sitting up here on the beach in what I call the "golden cage" CA is one of my few connections with the real world, of sailing.

Where is the blush emoticon? Nah, I'm very discerning in who I say that to ... :P Although we CA folks can give each other a hard time occasionally, we all work through it. It's a great place to learn and share.
As to the sealife in your lovely corner of the world ... you "otter" give him the benefit of the doubt. He might have been waving.

#20 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Is that the same pesky little critter that poops all over my dock and commuterboat? Would you please keep him up there at your place Bob. I am tired of cleaning up after him.....or his friends.....

Attached Files

#21 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'll try Kim.
There is no poop quite like otter poop. And they lay one right on your mooring line coil.

#22 Greever

Greever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Kimb. A small (big) favor: Could you post building pics as you progress? Similar to Zeyangs build thread? I really love following boatbuilding threads these days since there is so much to learn.

What type of construction method will be used? Cold molded or strip planked I presume?

Thank you for sharing!

#23 Hiracer

Hiracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:x

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'll try Kim.
There is no poop quite like otter poop. And they lay one right on your mooring line coil.

Bob, I am not sure how but I know a couple boats on my slip in Anacortes have had the darn otters get inside their boat. They trashed it pretty bad, and once kicked out they kept trying to get back inside because they found it so homey.

Everytime I leave my boat as I make yet another trip to the hardware store my neighbor threatens to thow some herring down the campanionway. The goofball.

#24 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

They broke into my wife's car once and drove it around,..............................

.............................................................................................................................because it was an ottermatic. RUNNING FAR AWAY
NOW!!

#25 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

:lol: good one Jose .....

#26 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

While waiting for my slip to open up in Everett, I moored my old boat in Utsalady Bay at the north end of Camano Island - I could check on it every few days that way. Otters and sea lions were constantly trying to get aboard the boats, but mostly they only managed it on the powerboats. (Or maybe they just didn't like stinkpotters.) The week before I moved her to Everett I had to leave her unattended for the whole week, and they got aboard.

One week. Two inches of urine in the cockpit, which had backed up from the feathers, shells, and - literally - shit that had plugged the cockpit drains. Piles of otter poo all over the deck, cockpit seats, etc. Trashed lines that had been neatly coiled and hanging by the companionway. Outboard mount broken (although it was repairable.) Instead of a pleasant sail down to Everett, I motored the whole way while cleaning up the boat - and only barely got it presentable before arriving, she still needed a thorough scrubbing. Friggin' otters.

#27 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:20 AM

Kimb. A small (big) favor: Could you post building pics as you progress? Similar to Zeyangs build thread? I really love following boatbuilding threads these days since there is so much to learn.

What type of construction method will be used? Cold molded or strip planked I presume?

Thank you for sharing!

Yes, it was the plan to post pictures of our progress, no matter how slow.

I don't have any yet because we don't start for another week or so. Maybe I can get some pictures of my expensive pile of Western Red Cedar drying in the kiln. I will see what I can do about that.

Strip Planked Red Cedar sheathed in e-glass and epoxy (I believe they plan to use West System.)

Super simple interior, just for weekends and camping style use. As few systems as possible (systems add weight; weight not good.) Composite deck, foam core.

Yanmar or Volvo saildrive. 40 HP or so. We will see if I have enough money for a Carbon Fibre mast.

This really is suppose to be a day sailor and I will always be a fan of Bob Perry because when I told him I wanted to do a 60 foot double ended day sailor with a tiller he did not laugh at me or throw me out of his office, he listened and asked a a lot of questions and gave me some good advice (like I really did need a deck house as we really did need some head room in a 60 foot boat) and then he did what I asked him to do. He designed the Sliver Class Day Sailor.

Bob is a pretty good guy once you get to know him. Smart too.

#28 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Kimb, your boat looks perfect to me. If it were my boat I wouldn't change a thing. I have always been a fan of the combination of classic looks, modern performance features and a slim hull. Bob is the guy who can put that all together into a stunning package and Sons really puts the sizzle in the rendered model.

It's not my boat but if it was maybe there is one thing I would change. I'd put a hybrid drive in it so I could glide silently in and out of anchorages with nary a sound nor a ripple. Expensive, I know,but that image makes me smile. Besides,you could sneak up on the otters easier.

#29 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:20 AM

It's not my boat but if it was maybe there is one thing I would change. I'd put a hybrid drive in it so I could glide silently in and out of anchorages with nary a sound nor a ripple. Expensive, I know,but that image makes me smile. Besides,you could sneak up on the otters easier.

Jose,

That is actually something I considered. I have an electric outboard motor for my 30 Square Metre now and I like the idea of electric drive (I owned a pure electric car a couple years ago, a Solectra Force). Maybe we should get together and discuss the idea. There are a couple electric saildrives I have seen on the Internet that might work. Do you have any experience in this area?

(Was that sound I just heard Bob pulling his hair out?)

Attached Files

#30 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

Kimb, my expertise lies in hull design and tooling for large motoryachts. Bob has laid out your boat to the space and weight requirements he feels works well. Changing to a hybrid drive, even though it may only add 12-18 inches in length and maybe 100-150 lbs (guessing) in weght to the drive train, might disrupt the careful work Bob has done laying out the arrangement and structure of your boat. With construction about to start this might not be a good idea. You should go over the idea with Bob. I've ended up with a few bald patches before.

#31 dbottles

dbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Laser Racing, J22 Sailing, Float Plane Flying.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:25 AM

I recall I had to ask nicely to get a berth, sink and head added to the boat's program. Bob has done very nice work, let's see if we can do a good job getting it built and working right.

#32 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:31 AM

I recall I had to ask nicely to get a berth, sink and head added to the boat's program. Bob has done very nice work, let's see if we can do a good job getting it built and working right.

You got a head? Lucky bugger. Bob's a big fan of buckets, or so he says. Methinks he doth not sail with wenches much. ;)

#33 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:48 AM

While waiting for my slip to open up in Everett, I moored my old boat in Utsalady Bay at the north end of Camano Island - I could check on it every few days that way. Otters and sea lions were constantly trying to get aboard the boats, but mostly they only managed it on the powerboats. (Or maybe they just didn't like stinkpotters.) The week before I moved her to Everett I had to leave her unattended for the whole week, and they got aboard.

One week. Two inches of urine in the cockpit, which had backed up from the feathers, shells, and - literally - shit that had plugged the cockpit drains. Piles of otter poo all over the deck, cockpit seats, etc. Trashed lines that had been neatly coiled and hanging by the companionway. Outboard mount broken (although it was repairable.) Instead of a pleasant sail down to Everett, I motored the whole way while cleaning up the boat - and only barely got it presentable before arriving, she still needed a thorough scrubbing. Friggin' otters.

But water soluble.

Must admit, I like boats with a low system prismatic. Don't know if I buy into the bucket thang though. That sounds more like a LFH affectation.

But there is that BHP gem: "Dodger? I don't need no stinkin' dodger! My Helly Hanson is my dodger..."

P

#34 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:53 AM

You got a head? Lucky bugger. Bob's a big fan of buckets, or so he says. Methinks he doth not sail with wenches much. ;)

Interestingly enough dbottles's mother has used a bucket on many occasions without ever a complaint.
That may be why I married her back in 1968 .
She likes to sail and she is very low maintenance.

#35 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:14 AM

Interestingly enough dbottles's mother has used a bucket on many occasions without ever a complaint.
That may be why I married her back in 1968 .
She likes to sail and she is very low maintenance.

Things were different back in the day, expectations are a little higher as we get older more sophisticated. I will refrain from stories from 1968 in the interest of dignity. :ph34r:

#36 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:30 AM

And I wont detail the vegimite and toilet paper prank, just say it was a classic!!

#37 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Kim

That's that boat? That's your "daysailor"? Wow. Talk about an understatement. I can't wait to have a chance to see the finished project.

#38 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

Oh Boomberries, you say that to all the guys. But seriously, sitting up here on the beach in what I call the "golden cage" CA is one of my few connections with the real world, of sailing.I saw an otter yesterday. He gave me the paw.

Where is the blush emoticon? Nah, I'm very discerning in who I say that to ... :P Although we CA folks can give each other a hard time occasionally, we all work through it. It's a great place to learn and share. As to the sealife in your lovely corner of the world ... you "otter" give him the benefit of the doubt. He might have been waving.

Boom Boom...it is not on the list..you have to use : wub : to make it work.

Lookin' good kim...you guys are busy...CA was getting slow...glad there is some renewed interest in boats...I need to go catch up on the other posts since Boom Boom's :wub:

edit - Kim, I know a guy that was doing electric propulsion in sailboats in the late 90's..I haven't seen him in a while, but if I can hunt him down I'll let you know..I think he's in Florida these days. Tell your wife that my wife & the girls we sail with call the 5 gallon bucket (head) on the boat, "The Honey Pot". :D It is usually full of beer cans & there is a 5 year old on the boat so he's always interested in the business going on. :rolleyes:

#39 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

Somethin about the sound of a nice diesel inboard is cool in its own way though... maybe not a new yanmar, i'm talkin the old single lungers :lol:. Oooo or a steam engine!!!!

Gorgeous boat, can't wait to see it come together. If i had to change anything i would attempt to open up the cockpit where the mainsheet attaches so you could walk around it. Looks like no traveler but there is still a bridge to step over. Minor detail i know :)

#40 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,200 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

And I wont detail the vegimite and toilet paper prank, just say it was a classic!!

Pics or it didn.......

Wait. Sorry. Reflex reaction. Nevermind.

#41 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Windows! Doors! Siding!

Looking like a Boat Shop!!

The Jeff Hammond Boat Shop at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding - Upper Campus

Up the hill and behind the Ajax Cafe, Port Hadlock, Washington

Attached Files

#42 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

Windows! Doors! Siding!

The Jeff Hammond Boat Shop at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding - Upper Campus

So I was curious, Kim. How long will a build like that likely take?

#43 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:59 AM

Kim:
Nice job.

So now I suppose we have to build a boat.
Can't let a cool building like that sit empty.
I have just the design in mind.

#44 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

Windows! Doors! Siding!

So I was curious, Kim. How long will a build like that likely take?

We have been discussing that question for several weeks now....we don't know. The boat is very simple, but we have to fit it in the class time and the instructional needs of the school, and this is the largest boat they have built, so schedule is a question. I am hoping we have her sailing Summer of 2012. Maybe sooner, who knows?

No sense in rushing her, we would rather have a really good product, so we are not too worried about how long it will take.

#45 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:21 AM

kim, what a great opportunity for the students to try to figure out that old PNW guy's design plans!!!! :huh:

I bet most of them won't know who he is. :rolleyes: - I was fortunate enough to step on a classic Perry design (Valiant 40) at about age 8.

#46 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:04 AM

woah! what a nice building!

#47 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:13 AM

Bitches:
With all due respect, I am not 109 years old. But I did not take offense at your remarks.

I'm a semi-perki 64 year old. Like Keith Richards but with the original blood.

I just got started very young. I designed the Valiant 40 when I was 28.
What were you doing when you were 28? Was it important?

I'm not going to hold your young age against you. Well, not too much. But STFU and you might learn something.

I don't trust anyone who was born post Beatles. Magical Mystery Tour. Were you there?

Kids. What are we to do with them?

My 30 year old son Max will be coming up this weekend so I have a weekend of political arguments ahead of me. I never win.
Kids!

#48 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:24 AM

kim, what a great opportunity for the students to try to figure out that old PNW guy's design plans!!!! :huh:

I bet most of them won't know who he is. :rolleyes: - I was fortunate enough to step on a classic Perry design (Valiant 40) at about age 8.

I have not yet officially met the students, I have been working with the instructors (mainly Bruce) on the planning for the projects. Fortunately Bruce reports this is a really good class of students. I hope to meet them soon. (The school also has a couple of grads who will be working on the boat to help keep the project rolling.)

It will be interesting to see how many of the students know of Bob, I kind of believe one should not be attending a boat building class if they do not know of Bob Perry.

Bob and I will be visiting the project often so the student will sure know who he is soon if they don't already.

#49 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:31 AM

Bitches:
With all due respect, I am not 109 years old. But I did not take offense at your remarks.

I'm not going to hold your young age against you. Well, not too much. But STFU and you might learn something.

I don't trust anyone who was born post Beatles. Magical Mystery Tour. Were you there?

My 30 year old son Max will be coming up this weekend so I have a weekend of political arguments ahead of me. I never win.
Kids!

Well, shit, Bob, now I'm going to bore people with tales of playing with the Tom Rush Band on the streets of Cambridge during the Summer of Love. They offered me a gig for their European tour. Like an asshole, I thought I should stay in school.
Do not trust me. I am 59.

Oh crap, I am an asshole!

Somebody, anybody, BUY MY BOAT. Quiet weeping ensues...

the guys with $$$ are building their own. If someone was clever, they could turn this into an industry!

Egads. I've been hoodwinked!!! I was supposed to have my own private helicopter by now. And a 3D repicator.

P

#50 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

Students building a Bob Perry designed boat? What a great concept! Takes me back. Wish I could find those old b&w negatives.

#51 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:42 AM

I have not yet officially met the students, I have been working with the instructors (mainly Bruce) on the planning for the projects. Fortunately Bruce reports this is a really good class of students. I hope to meet them soon. (The school also has a couple of grads who will be working on the boat to help keep the project rolling.)

It will be interesting to see how many of the students know of Bob, I kind of believe one should not be attending a boat building class if they do not know of Bob Perry.

Bob and I will be visiting the project often so the student will sure know who he is soon if they don't already.

So is Bob getting there by boat, or is there a ferry?
It looks like a log round trip by road.

#52 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

Kim:
Nice job.

So now I suppose we have to build a boat.
Can't let a cool building like that sit empty.
I have just the design in mind.

And there is already a Cafe next door, Bob.

Bitches:

Kids!

Kids, exactly, WTF would they know. Mine bounced a friggin grapefruit off my head, just because I turned her internet off!!!!!!!

#53 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

[/quote]

So is Bob getting there by boat, or is there a ferry?
It looks like a log round trip by road.
[/quote]

Bob walks onto the ferry and I pick him up and we drive to the School. I live on the west side of Puget Sound so I am on the same side as the School.
It would be a VERY long trip by car for Bob.

#54 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Kids, exactly, WTF would they know. Mine bounced a friggin grapefruit off my head, just because I turned her internet off!!!!!!!

<hijack>

just about to leave on a 5 hr roadtrip with 4 women between the ages of 5 and 41 in the car

just sayin'

</hijack>

#55 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

<hijack>

just about to leave on a 5 hr roadtrip with 4 women between the ages of 5 and 41 in the car

just sayin'

</hijack>

I'll set aside a little time today to pray for you.

#56 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Sons:
Don't forget your headphones and some good driving tunes.

#57 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

Windows! Doors! Siding!

You're joking right?

#58 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Windows! Doors! Siding!

You're joking right?

http://www.ajaxcafe.com/

#59 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

I hear it's quite a cafe but our meetings have always been in the morning and it has not been open so I'll have to wait and see how good it is.

#60 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

Oh my God...the menu just made me drool.

Gorgeous boat guys, it'll be incredible to see it come together. Oh, the wildlife in your area is incredible. A bald eagle parked right on the boat!

#61 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

I hear it's quite a cafe but our meetings have always been in the morning and it has not been open so I'll have to wait and see how good it is.

They are only opened for dinner, but they have very good food and it is a fun place. Hats all over the wall and they encourage you to select a hat to wear as you dine.
The only problem is the drive to get there and then home after dinner. It is more than a hour each way for me and way longer for Bob even if we were to pick he and his wife up from the ferry (as we would do of course.)

#62 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Ajax:
If you were to close your eyes and imagine a PNW place to build a wooden sailboat I don't think you could better than Port Hadlock.
I'm sure for students coming in from out of the area it must be like going to a new planet.

#63 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Gorgeous boat guys, it'll be incredible to see it come together. Oh, the wildlife in your area is incredible. A bald eagle parked right on the boat!

You want bald eagles? We have plenty to go around.
Attached File  Van isle 360 Winter Harbour where Eagles are common.jpg   215.84K   42 downloads

#64 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Ajax:
If you were to close your eyes and imagine a PNW place to build a wooden sailboat I don't think you could better than Port Hadlock.
I'm sure for students coming in from out of the area it must be like going to a new planet.

And the students are from all over the planet. Some of them even come from Europe to attend the program. All ages and all backgrounds. A really interesting bunch!

Here they are: the first fellow on the left (next to the gal) is Bill Mahler the executive director of the school and the fellow right behind him is Bruce Blatchley the instructor of the contemporary class and the guy in charge of the Sliver Build.

Attached Files

#65 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

You want bald eagles? We have plenty to go around.
Attached File  Van isle 360 Winter Harbour where Eagles are common.jpg   215.84K   42 downloads

Bald eagles are making a big comeback in the NW. We have a snag in front of the family beach house that eagles like to sit in at high tide when the light is just right and look for salmon. It's awesome to see them wing offf and dive on a fish, then pull it out of the water. They're almost getting to be pests though. A lady down the beach usually walks her small dog without a leash, then one day she came by and the dog was on a leash. I asked her why. She said she was walking the dog one day and an eagle swooped down and tryed to nab it. The dog ran for her and she ran for the eagle and scared it off. I think my dog is too big for one to go after but I still keep an eye out for the eagles.

EDIT: Here's a pic. Snag is just to the right of the sun. No eagles though.

Attached File  FI 4th of July.jpg   249.61K   29 downloads

#66 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Kim:
I can see we are going to have to buy red bandanas and Carhart jackets so we fit in.
You can just feel the energy in that group.

#67 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

Bald eagles are making a big comeback in the NW. We have a snag in front of the family beach house that eagles like to sit in at high tide when the light is just right and look for salmon. It's awesome to see them wing offf and dive on a fish, then pull it out of the water. They're almost getting to be pests though. A lady down the beach usually walks her small dog without a leash, then one day she came by and the dog was on a leash. I asked her why. She said she was walking the dog one day and an eagle swooped down and tryed to nab it. The dog ran for her and she ran for the eagle and scared it off. I think my dog is too big for one to go after but I still keep an eye out for the eagles.

EDIT: Here's a pic. Snag is just to the right of the sun. No eagles though.

Attached File  FI 4th of July.jpg   249.61K   29 downloads

Jose, the snag is trying to see it looking into the sun...where are my Maui Jims when you need them ??:lol:

#68 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Kim:
I can see we are going to have to buy red bandanas and Carhart jackets so we fit in.
You can just feel the energy in that group.

Your a red bandana kinda aren't you Bob?

#69 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

Paps:
No, not unless I need one to blow my nose!

#70 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:08 AM

Ajax, maybe sometime during the build we will need to fly out there to investigate the process and visit the Ajax Cafe. :)

I'll be sure to carry my copy of Mr. Perry's book for an autograph in case we meet him or kimb, kim's wife, Jose, or WHL, or Boom Boom, or Ish, or whomever else is famous out there!! B)

OK, I'll go back to varnishing my Catalina 30 pieces now... :rolleyes:

#71 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

Ajax, maybe sometime during the build we will need to fly out there to investigate the process and visit the Ajax Cafe. :)

I'll be sure to carry my copy of Mr. Perry's book for an autograph in case we meet him or kimb, kim's wife, Jose, or WHL, or Boom Boom, or Ish, or whomever else is famous out there!! B)

OK, I'll go back to varnishing my Catalina 30 pieces now... :rolleyes:

We would love to see you guys out here during the build. Make sure to give us a call so we can meet you at the School to show you the project. (I am serious.)

Kim

#72 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:48 AM

kim, I am serious too.

Currently, I can only dream about a project like this, so I live vicariously thru people like you and ND. I can spend days wandering thru boat yards, no matter what boats I am looking at!

A real-life road trip may be fun.

#73 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

Oh my God...the menu just made me drool.Gorgeous boat guys, it'll be incredible to see it come together. Oh, the wildlife in your area is incredible. A bald eagle parked right on the boat!

You want bald eagles? We have plenty to go around.Attached File  Van isle 360 Winter Harbour where Eagles are common.jpg   215.84K   42 downloads

Bald eagles are making a big comeback in the NW. We have a snag in front of the family beach house that eagles like to sit in at high tide when the light is just right and look for salmon. It's awesome to see them wing offf and dive on a fish, then pull it out of the water. They're almost getting to be pests though. A lady down the beach usually walks her small dog without a leash, then one day she came by and the dog was on a leash. I asked her why. She said she was walking the dog one day and an eagle swooped down and tryed to nab it. The dog ran for her and she ran for the eagle and scared it off. I think my dog is too big for one to go after but I still keep an eye out for the eagles. EDIT: Here's a pic. Snag is just to the right of the sun. No eagles though.Attached File  FI 4th of July.jpg   249.61K   29 downloads

Shoot. Here on San Juan island in the (appropriately named) San Juans, a tree came down a couple years ago with a bald eagle nest in it. Had 11 (eleven) small dog collars in it. Just sayin'.

#74 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

kim, I am serious too.

Currently, I can only dream about a project like this, so I live vicariously thru people like you and ND. I can spend days wandering thru boat yards, no matter what boats I am looking at!

I plan to keep this thread alive with updates so pick an interesting time in the project and come on out!

I hope to take some pictures of the School today when I drop off the clear fir for the backbone and post those pictures later today or tonight.

Once ND gets his project going we will have two build to follow!

#75 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Picked up the clear fir for the laminated backbone today. Long drive to Fork, WA to get it. Dropped it off at the School on the way back, so took some current pictures of the new 60'x80' Jeff Hammond Boat Shop. Jeff Hammond himself was there so got a nice shot of him too. Jeff is a master boatbuilder and the chief instructor of the School. He has been at the School for over twenty years after learning his skills from the School's late founder the legendary boatbuilder Bob Prothero.

http://www.nwboatschool.org/

Attached Files

#76 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Mr. Bitches:
You come on out and I'll put you up for a night or two at my beach shack.

#77 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

Great pics, I'm in the final plan stage for my own shed. Its about a quarter that size (30' x 40'), so the shed is almost as interesting as the boat at the moment.

A mate of mine just retired after 50 years as a wooden boat builder, maybe I could name my shed after him.

#78 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:57 AM

Mr. Bitches:
You come on out and I'll put you up for a night or two at my beach shack.

Mr. Bitches,

Bob is being modest, his place is very nice! Hardly a shack.

Kim

#79 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

Kim

This thread is going to be awsome!

Can't wait to watch this baby being born.

#80 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Great pics, I'm in the final plan stage for my own shed. Its about a quarter that size (30' x 40'), so the shed is almost as interesting as the boat at the moment.

A mate of mine just retired after 50 years as a wooden boat builder, maybe I could name my shed after him.

Olaf,
You will need to start a thread of your build so we will have another boat to watch as it is created.

CA is the place to be to watch boat projects!
KB

#81 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

kim, I am serious too.

Maybe you could make it out in early Sept,tie seeing the Sliver in with the wooden boat show. I would think by then Sliver would far enough along that we could get a real idea of her beauty.

#82 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:31 AM

A whole bunch of 20 foot clear flat sawn western red cedar 2x4's finishing up in the kiln ready for delivery shortly to the School. It was hard to get a good shot because of all of the other lumber in the kiln.

Attached Files

#83 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

I think I can smell it from here.
Smells like a boat to me.

#84 Greever

Greever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

This is going to be a fun thread to follow.......

#85 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

This makes me wish I had pics of my Great Grandfather's boathouse from down in Wingate, MD - he built boats from the 20s 'til his passing in the late 50's. Seeing projects like this provides a very pleasant reminder of my youth spent playing in/on the stuff in that boathouse.

#86 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

It's a boat fetus!

#87 BGD

BGD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Are those 2x4's dimensional? (real 2"x4")? It kinda looks like it instead of the 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" stuff at HD/Lowe's/etc..

It might be time to plan another PT Wooden Boat show trip and bring the tots this time.

#88 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Are those 2x4's dimensional? (real 2"x4")? It kinda looks like it instead of the 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" stuff at HD/Lowe's/etc..

It might be time to plan another PT Wooden Boat show trip and bring the tots this time.

Yes, they are full dimensional 2x4's. And they are now at 10% moisture.

#89 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

When does the lofting start? I figure you won't be N/C cutting any mold frames or bhds, right? The students need to learn to loft is my assumption. Of course the more advanced students might be working on this project. What'll the process be Kimb?

#90 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Jose:
Lofting?
We don't need no stinkin' lofting.

We will work from CNC files.
Do you think I would turn the shape of my beautiful creation over to a bunch of students?
I would if I could sit there, looking stern and all knowing, directing every nail in the loft floor. But I can't so we will do it like it's 2011.

#91 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

When I first saw the designs for this boat it never occurred to me that it was being built out of wood. Now that I know that, it's very entertaining that that is so.

#92 NACRADUDE

NACRADUDE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • Interests:Various women, various boats, and various states of consciousness.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

Boys,

I have a project in Seattle that for Microsoft that will be ongoing for the next several months. I'll make it a pecial trip up to hang for the day and stay out of the way if you wouldn't mind. I'll even bring my steel toed boots and hard hat. This is awesome to seethis type of condtruction in the days of the plastic fantastics. I can't wait to see this develope. Well done guys.

#93 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yes, they are full dimensional 2x4's. And they are now at 10% moisture.

Nice!

#94 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

When does the lofting start? I figure you won't be N/C cutting any mold frames or bhds, right? The students need to learn to loft is my assumption. Of course the more advanced students might be working on this project. What'll the process be Kimb?

Sorry to disappoint you traditionalists out there but the lofting was done in a computer by Jim Franken and now Brandon Davis will be hitting the button on the CNC machine Monday to cut out the temporary molds. Bruce's students will be visiting Brandon next week to see the process. (They learned lofting on another vessel they started building late last year.)

The Perry Sliver is being built "modern" for a wood boat as part of the broad spectrum of instruction offered at the School. Jim Franken and Russell Brown will be helping Bruce with layout and planning for the various different methods being used in her construction. We are very fortunate to have this high level of expertise available to show the students how contemporary wood construction is performed. (We also have a few graduates employed to keep the project moving forward during times the students need to be doing something else in their learning.)

Test panels are being made of the hull laminate and we plan on testing them soon. The deck/cabin/cockpit assembly will be a one piece vacuum bagged foam core composite built on a female mold. The bulkheads will also be foam core composite.

Brandon will be making all sorts of pieces on his magic machines for Bruce's students to assemble.

The School offers everything from traditional plank on frame construction to cold molded vacuum bagged modern methods.

We are proud that more than 90% of our students get placed in the marine trades after graduation and we are an accredited institution of higher learning. So we need to offer as many different experiences as possible to the students to prepare them for their careers.

(I serve on the School's development board.)

Kim

#95 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

Jose:
Lofting?
We don't need no stinkin' lofting.

We will work from CNC files.
Do you think I would turn the shape of my beautiful creation over to a bunch of students?
I would if I could sit there, looking stern and all knowing, directing every nail in the loft floor. But I can't so we will do it like it's 2011.

That's great Bob. The mold frames should go up pretty quickly then. If you know when that will happen I'd like to get some pics.

#96 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Sorry to disappoint you traditionalists out there but the lofting was done in a computer by Jim Franken and now Brandon Davis will be hitting the button on the CNC machine Monday to cut out the temporary molds. Bruce's students will be visiting Brandon next week to see the process. (They learned lofting on another vessel they started building late last year.)

The Perry Sliver is being built "modern" for a wood boat as part of the broad spectrum of instruction offered at the School. Jim Franken and Russell Brown will be helping Bruce with layout and planning for the various different methods being used in her construction. We are very fortunate to have this high level of expertise available to show the students how contemporary wood construction is performed. (We also have a few graduates employed to keep the project moving forward during times the students need to be doing something else in their learning.)

Test panels are being made of the hull laminate and we plan on testing them soon. The deck/cabin/cockpit assembly will be a one piece vacuum bagged foam core composite built on a female mold. The bulkheads will also be foam core composite.

Brandon will be making all sorts of pieces on his magic machines for Bruce's students to assemble.

The School offers everything from traditional plank on frame construction to cold molded vacuum bagged modern methods.

We are proud that more than 90% of our students get placed in the marine trades after graduation and we are an accredited institution of higher learning. So we need to offer as many different experiences as possible to the students to prepare them for their careers.

(I serve on the School's development board.)

Kim

That's good to know Kim. The boat building industry needs well qualified workers. It sounds like the school, if not already, may soon rival The Landing School. Do you plan on offering any design curriculum?

Joe

#97 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:55 AM

That's good to know Kim. The boat building industry needs well qualified workers. It sounds like the school, if not already, may soon rival The Landing School. Do you plan on offering any design curriculum?

Joe

I frankly do not know if the School has any thought on a design course. I have not heard of any, I will ask.

(We could score big time if we could get Bob to teach it.)

#98 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:50 AM

Joe

I frankly do not know if the School has any thought on a design course. I have not heard of any, I will ask.

(We could score big time if we could get Bob to teach it.)

Kim

If they do end up with a design course, please, please, PLEASE do not force students to spend 2 years with a pencil Posted Image . In fact, I have been kicking around the idea of designing a course that doesn't use any pencils at all. Sacrilege, I know. But drawing with a pencil is not a prerequisite to understanding boat design. I have been drafting for almost 30 years and half of that was with pencil. I do not long for the old days.

I started the Westlawn course and when it became clear to me that my drafting experience was not worth a damn to them (which ultimately ended in me being censored on their forum), I gave it up. A boat design course that starts with AutoCAD right out of the gate would help students learn more about boat design by focusing on theory rather then line weights and smudges. Use a planimeter to get the area of a 2d shape? wtf. One click in AutoCAD. Done. Now you can move on to understanding how to use that area rather than how to use a planimeter (as cool as that is).

ok. rant off. ;)

#99 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:04 AM

Yeah but, Yeah but Sons.... what do I do with my Planimeter ?? Where's mystery and magic in selecting an object and clickety click... presto there's the number ?? :lol:

#100 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

Fascinating............keep it up. (Man I need to take me a PNW vacation.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users