kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

Just think how "green" it would be.

Not if you consider how much single malt, roast beef and fine wine your oarsmen would consume.

Are you kidding?

Feed them gruel!

#2002 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

Not if you consider how much single malt, roast beef and fine wine your oarsmen would consume.

Are you kidding?

Feed them gruel!

Not this little black duck.

#2003 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Are you kidding?

Feed them gruel!

I guess the captain won't be waterskiing after lunch if he serves gruel. You don't want to see this crew go all ugly.

#2004 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,259 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

This is the last vessel he skippered. I am not allowed to say who owns her, it is all hush hush. He left her last year and has been doing contract work.

Are you allowed to say what kind of sailboat is on top?

#2005 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Are you kidding?

Feed them gruel!

Not this little black duck.

We will put you in charge of the drum Ish.

#2006 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

This is the last vessel he skippered. I am not allowed to say who owns her, it is all hush hush. He left her last year and has been doing contract work.

Are you allowed to say what kind of sailboat is on top?

What sailboat? I think you are seeing rigs of vessels anchored behind her. She does take up much of the harbor when she visits.

She does sometimes carry a small car and landing craft.

#2007 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Very nice Kimb! If you don't mind, maybe a couple close ups of the laz gutters? Thanks!

#2008 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Very nice Kimb! If you don't mind, maybe a couple close ups of the laz gutters? Thanks!

It is just the laminating tools so far being attached to the mold for laminating into the cockpit structure. Not the actual gutters just yet. But here are a few shots (big so only one per post.)

Attached Files

#2009 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Gutter tools.

These are being installed upside down of course and the cockpit seats will be laminated upside down (and inside out) on the mold. You will note the slope in the tools to offer drainage into the foot wells of the cockpit.

You can see one of the cockpit seat hatches sitting on the upside down floor of the cockpit foot well over Russell's right elbow.

Attached Files

#2010 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Got it, thank you Kimb!

#2011 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Will there be ring frames or longitudinals in the hull? Or is the hull stiff enough without?

#2012 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Will there be ring frames or longitudinals in the hull? Or is the hull stiff enough without?

The bulkheads, berth fronts, shelves and some stringers in the ends will make up the structural interior. Three very talented fellows (Bob Perry, Tim Nolan & Jim Franken) all agree on the plan so I am feeling pretty good about how strong this vessel will be. I saw Jim's drawing of the various interior pieces Monday, it was quite intricate and very cool. Wish I had a digital copy to post.

#2013 froggie

froggie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

"She does sometimes carry a small car and landing craft."

landing craft? LCMs ?? LCTs ?? LC(Truck)?

Attached File  LCM6.jpg   47.62K   1 downloads Attached File  LCT.jpg   29.13K   4 downloads Attached File  LCTruck.jpg   232.39K   3 downloads

Dang !! That makes it a good sized yacht, doesn't it.

#2014 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Cockpit seat gutters. Glassed in and waiting for the rest of the cockpit laminates. The screws are to hold the tools in place both for laminating and for releasing later on.

Attached Files

#2015 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

The engine room "soft patch" on the bottom of the forward cockpit sole. (Remember: you are seeing something upside down and inside out. At the shop it helps to stand on your head while studying the progress.)

Attached Files

#2016 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

The cabin house is pretty much done, all faired and smooth.There is a lot of peal ply still attached so sorry about the messy pictures. Maybe next Monday it will be gone and the pictures will be cleaner.

Attached Files

#2017 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

The engine room "soft patch" on the bottom of the forward cockpit sole. (Remember: you are seeing something upside down and inside out. At the shop it helps to stand on your head while studying the progress.)

I just rotate your pictures... saves getting a head ache.

#2018 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

I just rotate your pictures... saves getting a head ache.

Well, that is one way to look at it.......I don't want to give YOU of all people a headache Wun!

#2019 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

And the interior of the hull is now half coated with the final epoxy outer coat, the other side will be coated shortly (maybe they got to it today.)

Bob visited Saturday as part of the symposium he was speaking at and he once again praised the craftsmanship of the School, Russell, Tim, Jim and Brandon. It sure feels good to have Bob like the progress.

I never get tired of looking at her stern and dreaming about her slipping quietly through the water.....

Attached Files

#2020 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

That looks very fair in there. Great work.

#2021 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

Then on to Brandon's shop to see the progress on the flat panel molds. He said I could show these pictures because the secret stuff is not yet visible. That's Carter a graduate of the School working on the molds. (He is another of the really skilled guys working on this project.)

Attached Files

#2022 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

And the interior of the hull is now half coated with the final epoxy outer coat, the other side will be coated shortly (maybe they got to it today.)

Bob visited Saturday as part of the symposium he was speaking at and he once again praised the craftsmanship of the School, Russell, Tim, Jim and Brandon. It sure feels good to have Bob like the progress.

I never get tired of looking at her stern and dreaming about her slipping quietly through the water.....

We were very surprised at how fast they got it all faired out, but we have a bunch of young enthusiasts in the students working away on the project. Tim stopped by and also commented on the nice finish.

#2023 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

Nice to see a clean workshop too.

#2024 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

Nice to see a clean workshop too.

Bruce and the crew do a great job keeping everything clean and presentable. (You never know when board member or donor might stop by.)

Shameless Plug: The School gladly accepts donations.

http://www.facebook.com/NWBoatSchool

http://www.nwboatschool.org/

#2025 oregonarchist

oregonarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:sailing. cycling. skiing. climbing.

my kids.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

Looks to be she's turning out as beautiful as some of your bikes, Kim.

You should probably not try to bring her in to the house, though.

#2026 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Looks to be she's turning out as beautiful as some of your bikes, Kim.

You should probably not try to bring her in to the house, though.

It was hard enough getting SWMBO to allow the one road bike in the living room (as a piece of art of course, note the lack of pedals, that's what makes it art instead of a bike) I am pretty sure she would draw the line at bring the Sliver in......however when she is in a good mood I might go for hanging this from the rafters......

Attached Files

#2027 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

kimb,

You guys are building flat panels yourself?? Why not use some off the shelf stuff? I'm certain you have a good reason.

BV

#2028 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

kimb,

You guys are building flat panels yourself?? Why not use some off the shelf stuff? I'm certain you have a good reason.

BV

It allows you to engineer in just the properties you need.

#2029 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

kimb,

BV

Exactly, and because these panels are all part of the structural elements of the design we need what we need (fancy inserts and such.)

#2030 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

kimb,

BV

Exactly, and because these panels are all part of the structural elements of the design we need what we need (fancy inserts and such.)

Well.... that was the answer I expected. I guess I'm not surprised, you're building a boat after all. However, the aerospace guys have developed entire lines of panels with all manner of characteristics. For a few projects I've done I have simply added carbon to the outside of exiting panels to get the characteristics I needed, if they weren't already available, at a tiny fraction of the cost of hand building them. Also, the aerospace folks do destructive testing and careful QA. That's always hard on a hand built project. I'm not trying to be critical in the slightest, but there are some pretty amazing things out there off the shelf.

BV

#2031 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

kimb,

BV

Well.... that was the answer I expected. I guess I'm not surprised, you're building a boat after all. However, the aerospace guys have developed entire lines of panels with all manner of characteristics. For a few projects I've done I have simply added carbon to the outside of exiting panels to get the characteristics I needed, if they weren't already available, at a tiny fraction of the cost of hand building them. Also, the aerospace folks do destructive testing and careful QA. That's always hard on a hand built project. I'm not trying to be critical in the slightest, but there are some pretty amazing things out there off the shelf.

BV

I will ask the guys why we didn't look at them........they usually have good reasons, but who knows?

Thanks Beau!

Kim

#2032 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

kimb,

BV

Are these flat panels for the interior athwart ship and fore and aft bulkheads and furniture?

#2033 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

kimb,

BV

I get the impression the are trying to do as much as possible in house. This is a boatbuilding class right?

#2034 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

kimb,

BV

Are these flat panels for the interior athwart ship and fore and aft bulkheads and furniture?

Bulkheads and berth-fronts and other structural bits and pieces.

#2035 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

kimb,

BV

I get the impression the are trying to do as much as possible in house. This is a boatbuilding class right?

Flat panels are being built at the CNC shop but the students will participate. Then the various pieces will get cut out on the CNC machine in kind of a kit form for the students to assemble.

The main body of the interior will be assembled on a strong-back next to the hull and then dropped into the hull in one piece.

I am told it will all fit together because it all comes from the same computer file............

#2036 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

kim...this is where the construction details get very interesting...for those of us that enjoy a beer or three in the evening, we must evaluate them in the earlier day time hours. :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work and thanks for the detailed pics.

#2037 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

kimb,

BV

Flat panels are being built at the CNC shop but the students will participate. Then the various pieces will get cut out on the CNC machine in kind of a kit form for the students to assemble.

The main body of the interior will be assembled on a strong-back next to the hull and then dropped into the hull in one piece.

I am told it will all fit together because it all comes from the same computer file............

Really looking forward to the pics of that.

#2038 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Really looking forward to the pics of that.

OK, here is the best I can do for now, right out of the Rhino CAD file. These drawings show the items that Brandon is making (foam core composite) and as you can see the middle section can be assembled into one big assembly. It will be be built up on a strong back next to the boat and then dropped in the hull as one piece. The last drawing shows the additional structure of the stringers (which will be foam core composite) as they tie the additional bulkheads into the interior structure to form a single structural interior.

Edit: of course the one piece foam core deck/cabin/cockpit will add much stiffness when it gets added to the hull after the interior gets installed.

Attached Files

#2039 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Kimb,

I'm struck by a couple of things from the Rino Drawings of the bulkheads. First, how similar this is to the way that S'agapo is built. In each case all the various bits of furniture are contributing to the strength of the hull and allowing the designers to avoid old-school ribs, frames and floors. Second, how much of the various "loads" must be carried by the skin of the hull. It's really quite wonderful engineering.

Beau

#2040 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Kimb,

I'm struck by a couple of things from the Rino Drawings of the bulkheads. First, how similar this is to the way that S'agapo is built. In each case all the various bits of furniture are contributing to the strength of the hull and allowing the designers to avoid old-school ribs, frames and floors. Second, how much of the various "loads" must be carried by the skin of the hull. It's really quite wonderful engineering.

Beau

The keel loads will be transferred from the fin to the stainless steel floors that are attached to the middle interior assembly not directly to the hull. This will spread that load out further instead on concentrating them at one smaller area on the hull. The mast step will also have a grid connected to the interior structure to spread out the mast compression loads. The chain plates will be attached to bulkheads in the middle section of the interior.

This drawing shown from looking up from the bottom shows the various grids (and the saildrive engine bed)

Edit: I am getting dangerous now that I have figured out how to get PDF's out of Rhino.

Attached Files

#2041 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hey Kimb - No Monday update? Productivity at my office was way too high yesterday without any nice pics to look at! :o

I need my fix!

#2042 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hey Kimb - No Monday update? Productivity at my office was way too high yesterday without any nice pics to look at! :o

I need my fix!

Not too much to show because the school is on Spring Break.

However I do have some pics of the cockpit progress which I will post maybe tonight (don't have them here with me)

Lots of discussion on keel fin and lead bulb going on, but not much to report on that front.

I did purchase the Kindle version of Bob's book yesterday to run on my i Pad Kindle application. Kind of cool to be able to refer to his book when traveling. That was my first Kindle purchase. I looked for "The Common Sense of Yacht Design" and the "Encyclopedia of Yacht Design" in the Kindle Store, but alas those classics are not yet available.

I will try and find something good to post in my camera.

Thanks for the interest in my project.

(ND, please post some pictures of your project.)

Kim

#2043 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Kimb! Pics of the Sliver Project are one of the fews things I look forward to on Mondays at work. At least until May when beercan racing starts Tuesday nights.

#2044 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Kimb,

To return to the keel mounting SSteel frame your using. Here's the bilge of S'agapo. Note the steel plate that runs from one frame forward of the mast step all the way back to one frame aft of the keel. The engine is too far aft, and also not heavy (18hp), so it wasn't "tied in". Interesting solutions to similar problems.

BV

Posted Image
Keel Plate - S'agapo by bvrolyk, on Flickr

#2045 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Kim:
Thanks for buying my runaway best selling book.
The only money I have made on it apart from the royalty advance is the lump they gave me when they put it on Kindle.
I'm still hoping to sell the movie rights. But I can't figure out how to segue the young Bob, Aston Kuchar, into the old Bob Christopher Walkin. Too bad Walter Brennan is dead.

BV:
Do you clean your bilge with Q Tips?

#2046 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Vaguely reminds me of the grid in my old X-Yacht.

#2047 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Kimb,

To return to the keel mounting SSteel frame your using. Here's the bilge of S'agapo. Note the steel plate that runs from one frame forward of the mast step all the way back to one frame aft of the keel. The engine is too far aft, and also not heavy (18hp), so it wasn't "tied in". Interesting solutions to similar problems.

BV

Here is Sliver's as designed by Tim Nolan

Attached Files

#2048 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Kimb,

Great view of the keel stuff. Nicely done. I especially like the end plate at the bottom for the lead to go around. It'll let someone inspect the fabrication prior to having it disappear into the lead, nice idea. Designing a blade/bulb keel has had a LOT of discussion since the Rambler failure, which reminds me of the "discussion" that happened after Charlie lost her keel coming home from Hawaii. We sailors never learn. But yours looks nice and strong!

Bob,

There is a God Damn Fresh Water Leak someplace in the boat that I haven't been able to track down and it keeps "washing" my bilge for me. Thus, the open floorboards. If I leave the water in there, it makes mold. So, yup, I wash it out after every rainstorm with a sponge. I have narrowed the culprit down to the stb aft chainplate and a life line stanchion base behind a bit of furniture. That latter one will be a bitch to get to. Also, I'm beginning to suspect the halyard sheaves at the front edge of the mast.

I hate mold! When I bought S'agapo she had been sitting around for over two years without any care at all and there was mold everywhere. A solid week with Simple Green and a scotch bright got it all off. Now I'm just keeping it off.

BV

#2049 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

BV:
You probably crawl around your car with a stethoscope looking for that squeak too.

I do.

#2050 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Kimb,

Great view of the keel stuff. Nicely done. I especially like the end plate at the bottom for the lead to go around. It'll let someone inspect the fabrication prior to having it disappear into the lead, nice idea. Designing a blade/bulb keel has had a LOT of discussion since the Rambler failure, which reminds me of the "discussion" that happened after Charlie lost her keel coming home from Hawaii. We sailors never learn. But yours looks nice and strong!

Bob,

There is a God Damn Fresh Water Leak someplace in the boat that I haven't been able to track down and it keeps "washing" my bilge for me. Thus, the open floorboards. .................. I have narrowed the culprit down to ................. and a life line stanchion base behind a bit of furniture. That latter one will be a bitch to get to...........
BV

Another reason I don't like lifelines and don't want them on my boat.

#2051 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Bob,

Old age and Rock-n-Rolllll has numbed my hearing to the point that I just roll the window down and ignore the squeaks. Age has its advantages - not many but some - and I'm looking for 'em all.

Kimb,

Sadly, for offshore racing, I'm going the other direction. The bow-pulpit arrives next week and then I'll ISAF and ORR compliant with "real" lifelines. They'll all be removable, of course. But the bases will be there LEAKING!!! Damn it!

B

#2052 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Kimb,

Bob,

There is a God Damn Fresh Water Leak someplace in the boat that I haven't been able to track down and it keeps "washing" my bilge for me. Thus, the open floorboards. If I leave the water in there, it makes mold. So, yup, I wash it out after every rainstorm with a sponge. I have narrowed the culprit down to the stb aft chainplate and a life line stanchion base behind a bit of furniture. That latter one will be a bitch to get to. Also, I'm beginning to suspect the halyard sheaves at the front edge of the mast.

I hate mold! When I bought S'agapo she had been sitting around for over two years without any care at all and there was mold everywhere. A solid week with Simple Green and a scotch bright got it all off. Now I'm just keeping it off.

BV

yup....why it IS the source and WHY it leaks.

#2053 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

BV:
It's probably out of place to say this but I'll just give you a quote from my favorite movie:
"You're just going to have to buck up and face the fact that your're stinking rich."

When you come up here, we'll buy a bottle of the single malt and watch the movie together.

#2054 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

LOL - Bob, you're ON! My problem, among many, is that I'm too damn cheap to hire the carpenter to tear out the furniture and fix the leak. So, to borrow some lines from the "If I worked at a boat yard I'd wanta be a midget" thread: I'm cramming my head into a locker along with a wrench and trying to get a grip on the nuts. Wishing all the time I was a LOT smaller.

WOW, that didn't sound exactly how I intended it. I'll have to be carefully about phrasing....

I'll take you up on that single malt and the movie. Someday, we'll be anchored off your beach, someday, I keep promising myself.

BV

#2055 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I'll take you up on that single malt and the movie. Someday, we'll be anchored off your beach, someday, I keep promising myself.
BV

Rafted to the "Sliver"..........

#2056 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Cockpit progress before the Spring Break. It was pretty quiet yesterday when I visited. Bruce was building the strong-back for the interior module that will be underway soon.

Attached Files

#2057 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

The cabin house after the gloss coat......

Attached Files

#2058 oregonarchist

oregonarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

my kids.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

Cockpit progress before the Spring Break. It was pretty quiet yesterday when I visited. Bruce was building the strong-back for the interior module that will be underway soon.

Be careful which thread you post these in, Kim -- one of those pics looks alarmingly like a hot tub.

Never know what that could elicit around here...

#2059 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

Maybe a beer thread? ;-)

Mike

#2060 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Kimb,

Is there a big-ass diesel heater to warm the water that fills that aft cockpit well? It looks like a PERFECT hot tub!! YA! I suppose that bridge deck structure is to keep the riffraff away from the Skipper while he's doing his manly duty as helmsman??

Beau

#2061 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Kimb,

Is there a big-ass diesel heater to warm the water that fills that aft cockpit well? It looks like a PERFECT hot tub!! YA! I suppose that bridge deck structure is to keep the riffraff away from the Skipper while he's doing his manly duty as helmsman??

Beau

Yes, I need my OWN cockpit,................................but like everything else I suspect SWMBO will take that over too.

We have a saying in our house: what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers.

#2062 oregonarchist

oregonarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

my kids.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Yes, I need my OWN cockpit,................................but like everything else I suspect SWMBO will take that over too.

Reminds me of a Lyle Lovett lyric

The preacher asked her
And she said, "I do"
The preacher asked me
She said "Yes, he does too"

#2063 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Oregon:
My favorite Lyle line is:
"I married her just because she looks like you."

#2064 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Kimb,

Beau

Funny,

We have the same saying here.

#2065 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Kimb,

Beau

Funny,

But after 44 great years with her I am not complaining nor would I want it any other way.

After-all I am the one who spoils her so I am the one who created the situation.

#2066 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

You guys need to HTFU & take control of your women. I told Mrs. Bitches she can have whatever project she wants going on (obviously looking at the picture below it is furniture refinishing), but I want enough room for my car in the garage on school nights.

And yes, to help her out, the brown goop on the edges is West System & 407 filler on her "restoration project" that I mixed & applied today. But, it is all on her side of the garage, so her car spends the night in the out-of-doors.

Attached Files

#2067 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

You guys need to HTFU & take control of your women. I told Mrs. Bitches she can have whatever project she wants going on (obviously looking at the picture below it is furniture refinishing), but I want enough room for my car in the garage on school nights.

And yes, to help her out, the brown goop on the edges is West System & 407 filler on her "restoration project" that I mixed & applied today. But, it is all on her side of the garage, so her car spends the night in the out-of-doors.

As my grandfather always said... the man who says he's in charge at home will lie about other things, too. B)

#2068 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

the proof is in the garage (or the pudding....)

#2069 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

Kimb,

Beau

Funny,

But after 44 great years with her I am not complaining nor would I want it any other way.

After-all I am the one who spoils her so I am the one who created the situation.

I like a man who takes responsibility for the mess he's made - she's one very nice mess!

B

#2070 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I visited the project this morning. Not a lot has happened as it is Spring Break for the students. Bruce worked some on the interior module strong back, Jordan is working on the cockpit and Student Cooper showed up on his own time to help Jordan (extra credit stars to Cooper!)

The hull looks wide when you are down in her with a lens that foreshortens the shot.

I spent time this morning sitting in the hull thinking about Spike.

Attached Files

#2071 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Then I visited Brandon at Turn Point Design where they are setting up the tool to make the flat panels for the bulkheads and interior pieces.The last shot is the box of divinycell foam waiting to be infused into the flat panels.

Attached Files

#2072 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

The interior strong back in kit form....and more Divinycell foam waiting to become part of the deck....

Attached Files

#2073 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ahhhhh... My Monday fix!

#2074 Team America!

Team America!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:World Police

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Um, just in case you couldn't find this thread, Kim, here it is.

Long time, no pix

.:ph34r:

#2075 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I believe Kim's in Key West, based on a post in another thread.

#2076 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Kim:
Thanks for thinking of Spike. I was thinking about him this morning too. I clean his glasses each morning. Just in case.

#2077 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

1334850341[/url]' post='3679392']
I believe Kim's in Key West, based on a post in another thread.

Now in Miami Beach...........should have some Sliver news next week when I return to the great pacific northwest....
SWMBO said she had never seen Southern Florida and I had this business trip to DelRay Beach and she extended it for a bit to explore.
I miss my boat project........

#2078 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

1334859159[/url]' post='3679659']
Kim:
Thanks for thinking of Spike. I was thinking about him this morning too. I clean his glasses each morning. Just in case.

Yeah, I think of him often........the Sliver project is dedicated to my late Dad and to Spike, hopefully the two of them are watching the project together, they would get along great, they are both American Originals.......

#2079 Ritchard

Ritchard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:World Peace, Supermodels, Chain Saws, Rudders.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Phew! I just read this whole thread in one sitting, and my eyes are spinning.

Let's see. I now know more about contemporary wooden boat building, otters, FG lamination, wine, BP's diet, power cats, eagles, VW diesels, bicycles, more eagles, the list goes on and on.

Wonderful thread, actually very exciting to read. Thanks all for your contributions, esp KimB for recording this adventure for all of us.

She's sure gonna be a striking lady.

R

#2080 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Gotta be careful taking on a tale like this in one sitting. May cause emotional upheaval, dinner preparation and boat acquisition.

#2081 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

OK, SWMBO and I have returned from our South Florida trip. Part business and part goofing off. We had a great time, but Florida sure is FLAT! It was a bit difficult to adjust given our living in the Pacific NW surrounded by mountains.

In any event I visited the boat today. They have finished all of the glassing of the cockpit area.Of course the view you see is the underside of the cockpit and will only be viewed by the Yanmar diesel, so although they will be cleaning it up and fairing it somewhat they won't be doing the super fairing job they are doing in other places on the Sliver.

Attached Files

#2082 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

Meanwhile Fred the unsung hero of fairing continues to fair the inside of the hull. He marked out the limits of the accessible interior and he will do the super job on it and the very good job everywhere else.

Attached Files

#2083 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

Here are some random shop views to give you an idea of how clean the School keeps its facility. Bruce brings his commuter bike inside even though it was sunny and 70 today.

The interior midsection strong-back is set up and waiting for the interior pieces from the CNC shop.

And then there is that cool Joel White designed packet waiting for a buyer.

Attached Files

#2084 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

The crew has placed the form on the deck mold to allow for the recess necessary to keep the deck to hull joint smooth. I was glad to see this because the deck mold always looked wide to me.....the actula edge of the deck is just three inches out from the top of the bevel.

Attached Files

#2085 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Jordan and some students are carefully placing down the Teflon release tape so that someday when we try, we will be able to get the one piece deck/cabin/cockpit unit off the mold.....

Attached Files

#2086 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

While all of this action is going on at the School's shop, eight miles north Brandon and gang are starting to produce the infused interior pieces. They tried several infusing patterns and found one they liked, so now they should swing into full production to make all of the bulkheads and other interior foam core composite pieces. I picked up this first piece and was surprised at just how light it is. I visited Tim the engineer right after seeing the first interior piece and he assured me it will be very strong. Foam core composite pieces are really amazing items. They cut flow channels into the foam and join them together with little holes to make sure the resin flows everywhere smoothly and evenly. You can see the resin paths through the semi transparent glass on that first piece.

This looks like one of the aft bulkhead foam pieces now ready to go onto the flat table and get infused with the resin flow and vacuum bag. The students will get the joy of hand trimming the interior pieces after they get delivered to the School. Then they have to fit it all together and tab them into the hull. This is going to take some time. There will also be various solid inserts and reinforcing pieces for the stress areas like the chain-plates, etc...

Attached Files

#2087 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Kimb,

Looking very cool! Glad you're back so we get pictures :rolleyes:

BV

#2088 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Coming together, she looks great! Any thought to a name yet?

#2089 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

OK, SWMBO and I have returned from our South Florida trip. Part business and part goofing off. We had a great time, but Florida sure is FLAT! It was a bit difficult to adjust given our living in the Pacific NW surrounded by mountains.

In any event I visited the boat today. They have finished all of the glassing of the cockpit area.Of course the view you see is the underside of the cockpit and will only be viewed by the Yanmar diesel, so although they will be cleaning it up and fairing it somewhat they won't be doing the super fairing job they are doing in other places on the Sliver.

I guess I missed something. Is the cockpit mold separate from the deck mold?

#2090 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

No, it is all one mold, but they are laminating the various "regions" in bite size pieces. They did the cabin first to give the students some laminating experience, then they did the cockpit region which was complicated and took quite a bit of time, lastly they will do the acres of deck which is scheduled for the next two weeks. The entire deck/cabin/cockpit assembly is being supervised by Russell Brown who is a lamination wiz. I hired him to assist the school for this process as it is complicated and we all felt Russell's input would be helpful. The students love working with him because of all of his experience and his quiet competent style.

Assisting Russell is our top student from last year Jordan (who posted that time lapse video here on the thread.) We were very fortunate that Jordan was willing to take our offer after he finished his class. Maybe if we ask him nicely he will post some more of his pictures, I am at the shop only on Mondays, Jordan is there all the time.

#2091 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

No, it is all one mold, but they are laminating the various "regions" in bite size pieces. They did the cabin first to give the students some laminating experience, then they did the cockpit region which was complicated and took quite a bit of time, lastly they will do the acres of deck which is scheduled for the next two weeks. The entire deck/cabin/cockpit assembly is being supervised by Russell Brown who is a lamination wiz. I hired him to assist the school for this process as it is complicated and we all felt Russell's input would be helpful. The students love working with him because of all of his experience and his quiet competent style.

Assisting Russell is our top student from last year Jordan (who posted that time lapse video here on the thread.) We were very fortunate that Jordan was willing to take our offer after he finished his class. Maybe if we ask him nicely he will post some more of his pictures, I am at the shop only on Mondays, Jordan is there all the time.

Thanks.

#2092 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Isn't it bad luck to announce the name before launching??

#2093 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Kimb,

Will the deck mold be saved for future use or is it sacrificial? Meaning it gets cut up to get the deck out of it.

BV

#2094 Nessun Dorma

Nessun Dorma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, red wines of certain ages and styles, any good scotch, woman of certain ages and shapes, my gorgeous wife, my kids, the Coen brothers, and Ronald Reagan.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

That's what they say about RENAMING, before the proper ceremony. Also keep the name off the boat, and all of that. But I've never heard of not 'naming' her or stating the name.

If so, I guess you're all set and I'm in big trouble ....

#2095 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

That's what they say about RENAMING, before the proper ceremony. Also keep the name off the boat, and all of that. But I've never heard of not 'naming' her or stating the name.

If so, I guess you're all set and I'm in big trouble ....

Maybe not Paul, I don't know for sure. Maybe it is bad luck to NOT announce the real name. Hopefully someone knows and will post the real scoop.

Really glad to see your thread taking off, I love the contrast between our boats and it is really cool they are both Perry boats. Gives a real view towards the versatility of the Maestro!

You are going to have a blast visiting and participating!

Kim

#2096 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Great wok Kim, oops a typo.. perhaps as WHL I should leave it !!!

Speaking of the Maestro... he's in good form today :) nice to see some laughter and fun with the musical toy (and another design on the boards.. I swear.... it looks like a J Boat. Such diversity !!) :P

#2097 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Tis looking great Kim.

#2098 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Dear Kim.

I have been a silent observer of the progress on your project for sometime. I have to congratulate you on a beautifully conceived boat and I can't wait to see her sailing (more so you, I'm sure!).

I was privileged to attend the Maestro's office and peruse the drawings and photos of his prolific work over the years. His penciled line drawings are art, with subtle sheerlines and pretty transoms.. you could frame them. I worked as a boat broker for many years and came to appreciate pretty boats to be like great art. I also understand that you and Bob are good friends.

A theme that occasionally arose, when looking through Bob's many designs at his office, where the discrepencies between drawings and photos of the finished boat on matters of aesthetics. ie "Bob, why did the cove line start so close to the bow?" or "Bob, why is that cabin eyebrow so thin and angled?" or "Bob, why is that coaming so high?". Invariably it wasn't what Bob had drawn and whilst the boat was still pretty something had been lost because someone else knew better than Bob in those final aesthetic decisions before launch.

Even though this is Sailing Anarchy, I don't wish to offend you; but I would like to entreat you to engage the grumpy bastard to make those final calls on small things like exact dimensions of cove lines, waterlines, eyebrows, coaming heights, toerail details, window positioning, height of traveller beams etc. Maybe they're already on the drawings but make sure they get the final nod from Bob because, sometime in the future, I'd like the Sliver design to be boat porn in a poster hanging on my wall please.. :)

Ok.. so that was extremely presumptuous, but in a Sailing Anarchy kinda way!

#2099 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Even though this is Sailing Anarchy, I don't wish to offend you; but I would like to entreat you to engage the grumpy bastard to make those final calls on small things like exact dimensions of cove lines, waterlines, eyebrows, coaming heights, toerail details, window positioning, height of traveller beams etc. Maybe they're already on the drawings but make sure they get the final nod from Bob because, sometime in the future, I'd like the Sliver design to be boat porn in a poster hanging on my wall please.. :)

Ok.. so that was extremely presumptuous, but in a Sailing Anarchy kinda way!

Actually I fully intend to use Bob that way, why mess around when you have the Maestro available to make those calls?

#2100 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

One thing that I find very interesting about boat building is how "loosey-goosey" it is. I come from an engineering background where nothing gets built until every freakin' detail is worked out on paper with EXACT dimensions including tolerences. And, if in the course of production something doesn't match the drawings or if an error is found in the drawing, everything comes to a screaching halt while engineers create Change Orders, updated drawings, get approvals, etc.

In boats (and I would guess the same could be said for buildings), it's easier to wing it. "Oh, we don't have any 1" round in stock to use for that eyebrow, but we have 200' of 3/4" round. Let's use that." I can imagine it's frustrating for the designer to see those sort of liberties being taken. But unless you're designing and building a boat just for yourself, I don't see that changing in the industry any time soon.

And frankly, I'd hate to see it get to the point where everything is spot on all the time. That would take some of the 'excitement' out of the game. ;)

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users