Clipper round the world

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
708 replies to this topic

#701 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I was always wondering who is going to pay 43K british pounds to go sailing around the world in dubious company with not professional sailors?
I've read their advertisement and looked the video how they sail, I would not want to sail with such people. I saw in video how helmsman one of the boat was freaking out and shit allover his crew because they were in panic after huge wave hit their boat and spinnaker boom felt down, they didn't know what to do, so he went himself of the bow fixed it himself and started to scream on this people. I could understand his anger but honestly as a pro sailor since 7 years old I wouldn't go with such people. By the way, I feel like this company should pay me for racing in this race. :)
By the way, for 43K of british pounds you get pretty nice 32-36 foot boat and enjoy sailing yourself for years.

Well, as a pro sail or since you were 7 then you should apply to SKipper and then they would pay you to do the race! If you are a pro sailor then this is not aimed at you. There are obviously a number of people on this site who have taken part in the Race and acheived some of their life dreams because of it. It is a lot easier to sit on a website and slag it off, than it is to get out there and commit to such a huge thing. This is an event aimed at people who have an interest in doing something adventurous. Some may be good sailors, others not. The mix of people is part of the interest.

#702 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Well said Potter.

There are quite a number of well known skippers who got their start on the Clipper Race.
Lists have been put on other threads

#703 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

First Chinese Clipper Race crew member set to make history

04 APR 2013

203-news-main.jpg

Guo Chuan took part in the Clipper 05-06 Race on board Qingdao

The first Chinese crew member to compete in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race will make history later today (Thursday) when he completes an ambitious solo non-stop circumnavigation in 137 days.

Guo Chuan (GC), 47 from Qingdao, China was the first Chinese sailor to take part in Clipper Round the World Yacht Race in 2005/06. Now a professional sailor, he set himself the goal of completing the 21,600 mile solo non-stop circumnavigation in a class 40 boat named ‘Qingdao’ after his hometown.

After nearly two years of planning and preparation GC set sail from Qingdao on 18 November 2012 passing the Equator, Cape Horn, Weddell Sea, Cape of Good Hope and Sunda Strait before finally arriving back in his hometown where he will receive a rapturous welcome after becoming the first Asian to challenge the Class 40 solo non-stop circumnavigation record.

Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, founder of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race and the first man to sail solo, non-stop around the world in 1968-69, congratulated GC on his successful circumnavigation.

“I have been watching Guo Chuan’s progress with immense interest and wish to warmly congratulate him on this achievement. I am proud of the part that his Clipper 05-06 Race experience has played in his development as a sailor and know that this will lead him to even greater heights in the sport while encouraging more Chinese sailors to follow in his footsteps.”

Among those waiting to welcome back GC is Vicky Song, who will become the first Chinese woman to complete a full circumnavigation when she takes part in the Clipper 13-14 Race.

#704 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

From his FB site

Maybe it is just a coincidence. My arrival day is 5 Apr, in China, it happens to be Tomb-sweeping day. Two years ago, when my father passed away, I was training in France. I always regret that I was not at his side for his last days. I went to sweep his tomb today, I wish he would see me in the heaven. I wish he would understand and feel happy for me.

#705 lydia

lydia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Clipper Race reveals ‘dynamic dozen’ to command new global yacht fleet

10 APR 2013

205-news-main.jpg

The Clipper 13-14 Round the World Yacht Race starts this summer

An elite group of 12 professional skippers who will lead 650 amateur sailors on the world’s longest ocean race has been revealed today.

The twelve skippers for the ninth edition of the famous biennial Clipper Round the World Yacht Race include a mix of youth and experience, international challengers and home grown talent as well as some familiar faces and only the third ever female to skipper the race.

The group, who went through a rigorous selection process over months, were selected from hundreds of candidates to take on the challenge of leading twelve amateur crews on the adventure of a lifetime. They will also be the first to race on the new fleet of Clipper 70 yachts.

Clipper Race founder and Chairman, Sir Robin Knox-Johnston understands well the tests that lie ahead of the twelve and is pleased with the skippers that have been chosen to take on this unique challenge.

“The standard of applicants for this race was high and the successful candidates have been through a rigorous and challenging selection process to get to this point. I am sure that they will all relish the challenges to come. I know that we have chosen an exceptional group of people to undertake the task of leading our crews around the world. This group of skippers can look forward to being the first to race on the new fleet of Clipper 70s, but the focus remains the same as in previous races with the emphasis on motivating the crew and maintaining their safety while remaining competitive in all conditions.”

Vicky Ellis, 30, from Bristol, will be the only female skipper on the race and having worked with Clipper Race crew as a training skipper or over three years, is now looking forward to the challenge of working with her own race crew.

“Clipper Race crew all have a spark about them that makes them different to the rest of the world,” said Ellis. “It makes them stick their neck out and pursue this wild dream when the rest wouldn’t dare. That’s what I love about the Clipper Race and I am really excited about getting my race crew.”

Such is the attraction of the Clipper Race to sailors around the world that the next editions will feature skippers from Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Ireland, as well as the UK.

Damian Parnham (48) and Chris Hollis (33) both come from the East Coast of Australia and are looking to build on the growing tradition of Australian success in the race after the last two editions were won by Australian skippers.

Eric Holden (33) hails from Vancouver in Canada, and having originally been introduced to the Clipper Race after his sister took part in 1999, brings a wealth of experience to the table including a stint as weather forecaster for the Canadian Sailing Team at London 2012 Olympics.

Patrick van der Zijden, 43 from Vogelenzang in the Netherlands will be the first Dutchman to skipper the Clipper Race and brings his passion for teaching people to sail to the race. While Irishman Sean McCarter (31) is looking forward to racing into Ireland and being welcomed by a home crowd on the race.

The British contingent features a mix of experience and young chargers, keen to make their mark on the sailing world. Matt Mitchell (26), Oliver Cotterell (27) and Richard Gould (26) are all looking to emulate the success of the Clipper Race’s youngest ever winning skipper, Alex Thomson. While returning to the race are Gareth Glover (36) and Pete Stirling (47). Gareth skippered New York during the Clipper 11-12 Race while Pete led Jamaica Lightning Bolt in the 09-10 edition of the race. Simon Talbot, 43, from Essex, completes the line up of British Challengers.

The twelve skippers will now begin the task of taking the Clipper Race crew through their final training ahead of the race start in the summer. Crew Allocation takes place on 11 May and is the day when crew will find out with which of these twelve that they will be racing around the world.

The Clipper Race is the world’s longest at 40,000 miles and takes almost a year to visit 14 ports on six continents. It was established by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston in 1996, who became the first person to sail solo, non-stop, around the world in 1968-9.

Skipper photo (left to right): Patrick van der Zijden, Eric Holden, Gareth Glover, Damian Parnham, Simon Talbot, Pete Stirling, Vicky Ellis, Sean McCarter, Chris Hollis, Ollie Cotterell, Matt Mitchell, Rich Gould.

Woo Hoo - Vicky is asa anal as Brendan was - she's going to be great!

OA

Edited by lydia, 10 April 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#706 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Crew allocation very shortly another couple of hundred very excited ocean sailors about to embark on their adventure!

#707 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

http://www.clipperro....com/livestream

http://video.uk.msn....acebook%3auuids

http://video.uk.msn....acebook%3auuids

#708 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

Should we start a new thread for this Clipper race? Ozee, you are the decider of this one !!!

#709 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I have no issues either way - I don't need any debates any more.... the ocean is for everyone period

I'm enjoying every minute!

https://vzconsole.co...300&cache=false