What dimension have a backstay /FT10m/ from the top to the tackle/eye to eye/

#2 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

that is a variable dimension ( not measured ) depending on the amount mast rake and how much range there is in the backstay adjuster. Are you looking for the amount of rake that most boats are using ?

#3 Jedrek

Jedrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:racing

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

Thank you Owlslick !It's my poor English,but;I thinking about mast bend.If I bend 1,5 x D or max .2 % I carbon mast /FT10m/I have two way ;measured my self /bend/ and adapt backstay ,plus mark rope on the tackle or Bob calculated this and I find somewhere /for ex. Spectra 6mm backstay,35' long eye to eye plus double blocks sets # ......... with Spectra line 6mm,20' long. And if I tackle max./blocks to blocks this give me sign mast bend max.
Sorry for my primitive language /next year be better Posted Image

#4 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

the range of mast bend ( backstay adjustment ) is a function of how the luff of the mainsail is cut. The idea is to be able to adjust draft in the main sail for the conditions. Pre bend is the starting position or neutral postion from which you can add or take out draft as necessary as conditions change for the mainsail. The mainsail sets the range of adjustment, the backstay adjuster needs to be able to meet this demand. The maximum range of mast bend is good know to for design limits of the main sail to have full control over adjustment. Your mainsail and your tuning / rig inputs will control the final dimensions of the backstay and adjuster of what works best for you. Probably the first ( 2:1 ) element of the adjuster is more crtical than the backstay itself. The longer this element becomes ( the back stay becomes shorter), the range of adjustment increases.

#5 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Try these guys? http://www.apsltd.co...l-hardware.aspx

#6 EWS

EWS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

You really need to measure your existing backstay to match. It's pretty critical and each of the boats are setup differently. Also recommend having it made a little shorter to account for the initial setting of the splices and initial creep by the new material. I have spec'd lengths but would not feel confortable making one without a measurement.

#7 Jedrek

Jedrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:racing

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

Clewless- good page!
Of course it's many different elements /like mast step position and sailing condition (trim)../,I only thought thouse parameters help me,but true is -not.
Thanks everyone !

#8 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

J,
BTW. Are you a new owner in Chicago? Mind if I ask which hull?
Anyhow....a big welcome to the class and this forum if you are new.

Cheers,
C

#9 ClimbnSail

ClimbnSail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

You really need to measure your existing backstay to match. It's pretty critical and each of the boats are setup differently. Also recommend having it made a little shorter to account for the initial setting of the splices and initial creep by the new material. I have spec'd lengths but would not feel confortable making one without a measurement.

I agree completely. There are several different setups being used in regards to purchase and where the placement of the purchase is located. Most of the East coast guys use a 2 pennant cascade with a triple block from the last pennant, then going to 2 double blocks and forward. I know the west coast guys favor the purchase on the floor setup.

If you are looking for some work to be done, there are plenty of guys in chicago that could help. Aps is pretty high. I just did one, minus blocks for waaaay less than aps. Also, APS uses the stock setup, which is probably not what you would want.

PM me or email if you want to discuss further. And welcome to the fleet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users