• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 solosail

solosail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Some nice pictures today of Scotty Cav's Dynex-Dux rigging. Link here: www.riggingnews.com

#2 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

Does that stuff still only come in SK75?

#3 Vincent DePillis

Vincent DePillis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

"Does that stuff still only come in SK75?"

I believe the Dux is additionally stretched and heat treated. Feels quite different (harder) than straight dyneema/spectra of what ever grade.

I would like to know what kind of terminations are being used. Colligo bottle screws?

#4 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

It absolutely is heat set, no question there.

The MedCup boats and AC45s all use Marlow D12MAX - they prestretch and heat set SK75, 78 and 90.

Wondering if Dynex had followed suit yet...

#5 jfranta

jfranta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

It absolutely is heat set, no question there.

The MedCup boats and AC45s all use Marlow D12MAX - they prestretch and heat set SK75, 78 and 90.

Wondering if Dynex had followed suit yet...

We have been working with Hampidjan for awhile now to get SK-90 for the improved stretch as we feel it might be worth it in standing rigging. Not sure how it will cost out though as the other brand options are proving very expensive when compared to the workhorse, SK-75 from Hampidjan. We know the creep and stretch and it is easy to design with this. The lower stretch of SK-90 might be worth it for standing rigging but only if it is cost effective. We have built over 350 Colligo Dux standing rigging systems to date using SK-75 so it is more than adequate.

John Franta, Colligo Marine

#6 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Cool. You do beautiful work, by the way. Wasn't casting aspersions on the propriety of 75 DUX for the application...was just wondering where on the curve Hampdjian was. Thanks.

#7 glowmaster

glowmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Trimarans, Windsurfing, SUP.
    The ultimate trifecta.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

So John F and others,

why does Dynex Dux melt well with a hot knife, while spectra just kind fizzles open? Enquiring minds want to know.

I love my Colligo Dynex Dux rigging.

ed

#8 Vincent DePillis

Vincent DePillis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

Glow-- I assume you have caps in dux.. Did you do diamonds in dux? forestay?

#9 glowmaster

glowmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Trimarans, Windsurfing, SUP.
    The ultimate trifecta.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

caps shrouds and forestay in dux. Diamonds were just replaced in wire.

new bowsprit up line and whiskers too.

Attached File  bowsprit small.jpg   279.86K   250 downloads

ed

#10 jfranta

jfranta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

So John F and others,

why does Dynex Dux melt well with a hot knife, while spectra just kind fizzles open? Enquiring minds want to know.

I love my Colligo Dynex Dux rigging.

ed

Hi Ed, When UHMWPE line is made it is spun, which makes it soft and pliable like amsteel or amsteel blue. When the line is heat stretched it basically work hardens the material which closes the gaps between the fibers and makes it less soft. It starts to become more like plastic than rope. This is why it is easier to cut with a hot knife than spun Dyneema.

John Franta, Colligo Marine.

#11 Riggingnews

Riggingnews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Rigging/Mast

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

More mini rigging posted: http://riggingnews.b...what-is-it.html . Hopefully we have the story and more pics (with it straped to a boat!) shortly. Cheers

#12 Riggingnews

Riggingnews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Rigging/Mast

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Story now on the site....... http://riggingnews.b...6/revealed.html

Good news for all of you US based mini'sters........ looks like Gorilla Rigging can sort you out with some fast rigging on your door step!

#13 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:Herding cats

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

Appears that Jay's rigging is PBO with Dyneema covering and dyneema lashing, not Dux rigging.

#14 SoCalSlacker

SoCalSlacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Interests:good old fashion competion

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

http://www.gottifred...en/?page_id=352 would imagine it's something along these lines

#15 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

I rigged my mini with Marlow 5mm sk79 MAX (heat treated) spliced it up myself then left it tensioned on a turfa winch overnight.

It took a few weeks to bead in and became nearly 6 inches longer per shroud!! But it seems to have stopped now.
All the standing rigging cost under £500. Cheaper than wire and half the weight!.

The boat just did 19.6kn so its not like shes not being pushed.

#16 jfranta

jfranta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

I rigged my mini with Marlow 5mm sk79 MAX (heat treated) spliced it up myself then left it tensioned on a turfa winch overnight.

It took a few weeks to bead in and became nearly 6 inches longer per shroud!! But it seems to have stopped now.
All the standing rigging cost under £500. Cheaper than wire and half the weight!.

The boat just did 19.6kn so its not like shes not being pushed.

Some of the Marlow line we tested still had some constructional stretch and that is probably what you have experienced if the load was maintained thruout the stretch period. On the mini's that we have done we have used 7 mm as with 5 you need to keep the load pretension below about 500 lbs to not get any significant creep. With the 5 mm I would loosen the shrouds when not sailing as this would eliminate the creep issue.

See the pic of the Open 60 we rigged with 10,000 lbs of pretension (mast ram) on the uppers.

Attached File  IMG_3918.JPG   94.91K   186 downloads

John Franta, Colligo Marine

#17 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

ThanksJohn thatís interesting.

500lbs sounds very low? I havenít noticed any creep since the initial stretch althoughI was intending to change the cap-shroud for a bigger diameter just to make mefeel a little less on the edge.

What do you calculate the lowest break strain is for a mini rig? or is it justthe creep issue that dictates rigging size?

I think my BS is 3750kg per line, out of my head I think I remember my staticmax load was around 1000kg. Sound about right to you?

sorry about the metric.

Cheers

Jake

#18 jfranta

jfranta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

ThanksJohn thatís interesting.

500lbs sounds very low? I havenít noticed any creep since the initial stretch althoughI was intending to change the cap-shroud for a bigger diameter just to make mefeel a little less on the edge.

What do you calculate the lowest break strain is for a mini rig? or is it justthe creep issue that dictates rigging size?

I think my BS is 3750kg per line, out of my head I think I remember my staticmax load was around 1000kg. Sound about right to you?

sorry about the metric.

Cheers

Jake

We always size Dyneema for Stretch and Creep and it is always at least 2 x stronger than equivalent 1x19 wire. I would need to look up our loads from the previous builds but 1000 kg sound about right. We will have loos gauge calibrations for Dux on the website in a couple of days and these should work relatively well for other heat stretched dyneema products so you could check your tension.

The 500 lb limit is for about 0.1 inches of creep per year at static loading (pretension), it could tolerate more but creep is exponential with load so it goes up fast with slight load increases.

John Franta, Colligo Marine.

#19 Mojounwin

Mojounwin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Any links to the Loos coversion chart?

Cheers
Mojo

0 user(s) are reading this topic