Sprit pole - what is the outside diameter?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

I'm making a gasket to keep water out and can't get to the boat today... Does anyone know the approximate outside diameter of the pole?

#2 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

I can get it for you in the morning. Would like to hear how you plan on making it

#3 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

3 and 7/8ths inch's. This is approx as i did not take the cap off. I measured the cap and then subtracted the 2 x the 1/4 in thickness,hope this help's

#4 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

Perfect, thanks. I'm just taking a neoprene mousepad, cutting a hole and a slit, then put a Velcro closure across the slit so we can put it on after the sprit is out. More of a spray blocker than a true gasket.

Definitely not perfect, but a decent McGyver for the odd case where we need it.

#5 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Perfect, thanks. I'm just taking a neoprene mousepad, cutting a hole and a slit, then put a Velcro closure across the slit so we can put it on after the sprit is out. More of a spray blocker than a true gasket.

Definitely not perfect, but a decent McGyver for the odd case where we need it.

Have you thought of using a toilet plunger' end.?. I have been playing around with those plumbing rubber step downs for large pvc pipe. as they have a nice ridge around them for a large clamp. Used it in the ST Petersburg to Ft Myers race and it helped a lot. Most of the race on the nose into 5 footers 15-22kntsof wind. Iwe put a return line on the pole so we could get some presure on the rubber for it to seal.Thinking of doing the same on the inside end of the pole so it seals when pole is out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users