#901 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Got to sail against hull number 1 last night. I was on an S29.1, conditions were 12-15 gusts to 18. The scratch sheet had the J rating at 111, pretty tough for a small boat. Upwind she held about even with us the entire leg, trading the lead a few times with them just able to get in front of us at the windward mark. Downwind they had a significantly higher angle than us and the J80s out there but there may have been other reasons for that since I saw that she DNF'ed for the race. My guess is that the rating should be closer to the J80.

Which J/80 rating the OD rating or the OD rating using a 134% genoa and double life lines?

#902 dinghydock

dinghydock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Got to sail against hull number 1 last night. I was on an S29.1, conditions were 12-15 gusts to 18. The scratch sheet had the J rating at 111, pretty tough for a small boat. Upwind she held about even with us the entire leg, trading the lead a few times with them just able to get in front of us at the windward mark. Downwind they had a significantly higher angle than us and the J80s out there but there may have been other reasons for that since I saw that she DNF'ed for the race. My guess is that the rating should be closer to the J80.

Interesting PHRF Number. They gave us a provisional 117 for number 5. So far we have been pretty happy with it. We have only been racing in light air and haven't seen any real breeze yet. I think 111 is fairly aggressive. The J/80 rates 121 here.

#903 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Interesting PHRF Number. They gave us a provisional 117 for number 5. So far we have been pretty happy with it. We have only been racing in light air and haven't seen any real breeze yet. I think 111 is fairly aggressive. The J/80 rates 121 here.

117 sounds closer to the performance I saw last night.

#904 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

re: ratings.

My experience is that sportboats are constantly getting dinged for hypothetical maximum performance, ie: the perfect race, with just enough wind, not too much and being able to plane and plane earlier than other heavier boats.

In reality things rarely average out that way. Sportboats have a very uneven performance curve. PHRF is based on the ultimate perfect day scenario, not on average performance IMO. If you look at the actual results, SBs are rarely on top in PHRF.

If the J/70 figures out how to get an actual fair rating, I hope other SBs do as well. Being a somewhat conservative SB, the J/70 might do ok given that it's performance might be smoother across the range.

#905 brutus

brutus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Does anyone know where the concentration of the J70's sold will be by next summer?
Are there any areas with fleet purchases?

#906 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Does anyone know where the concentration of the J70's sold will be by next summer?
Are there any areas with fleet purchases?

I heard Annapolis for one.

#907 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

They have sold 200+, so they're going somewhere.

But, only 2 a week are getting popped out of the factory.

#908 hotair

hotair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Does the J/70 have a bilge pump ?

#909 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Is there a lifting sling set up on the J70?

#910 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

I heard they had deposits for at least 2,000 or 20,000 or 200,000

I also heard last week in the Carolinas in a very light air beer can - " the J/70 sailed like it was glued to the bottom" and was first to abandon, while the other boats (U20, Soverel) ghosted along nicely

You work for MSNBC? Lovely 10 sec sound bite here with absolutely none of it put in context. Note, I'm not saying what you said is not true, just that without the rest of the story, its impossible to make a reasoned judgement.

For example: "...was the first to abandon" why did they abandon, and was it for reasons other that how fast it was going? (i.e. had to make a commitment somewhere else that evening?) and or, "yeah they abandoned first, and then, within 5 minutes, everyone else did too..."

And exactly who was it that said "the J/70 sailed like it was glued to the bottom" - another competitor? the owners? some guy not even on the course?

Were the 70, U20 and Sov all in the same wind when the other boats ghosted along nicely and the J didn't? Or were some of the boats in some pressure, while others weren't?

Lacking "the rest of the story" as the Paul Harvey line goes, you just look like you're a sniper with his sights set on the J/70....

#911 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I was there, seems the J70 went towards the right side of line and the Sov and U20 were closer to the pin (left side).
Any breeze filled from left and it paid off.

Full respect to Don Trask who (I understand is Master Laser sailor and has a regatta named after him) saw the wrighting on the water first and happened to motor towards home.

#912 Snapper95

Snapper95

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

There is no bilge pump- have to bring along a handheld, or just drill a hole in the bottom to let the water out.Posted Image

Two lifting eyes on either side of the keel. Saw the boat launched via a hoist and down a ramp on its trailer. Neither was a big deal.

AFAIK, you have to provide your own lifting straps.

#913 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I grabbed the SA for the U20 from sailboatdata.com...which is apparently wrong...so you're right...U20 has more upwind SA too....

goodness gracious,

less than a 20 ?

#914 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Interesting racing against it last night. 4 boats in the fleet - J/27(PHRF 126), Soverel 27(PHRF 135), Melges 24(PHRF 96), J/70(PHRF 114). M24 was sailed well as usual and won, J/70 second, J/27 third, Soverel 4th. The 70 got away from us (on the 27) on the first downwind and reach legs, we caught back up on the second upwind. Boat looks good, Maybe could have been sailed a little better on the second downwind, but seemed to move just fine. Looked like a fun little boat, definitely better looking than I thought it was going to be.

#915 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Interesting racing against it last night. 4 boats in the fleet - J/27(PHRF 126), Soverel 27(PHRF 135), Melges 24(PHRF 96), J/70(PHRF 114). M24 was sailed well as usual and won, J/70 second, J/27 third, Soverel 4th. The 70 got away from us (on the 27) on the first downwind and reach legs, we caught back up on the second upwind. Boat looks good, Maybe could have been sailed a little better on the second downwind, but seemed to move just fine. Looked like a fun little boat, definitely better looking than I thought it was going to be.

Interesting that the finish was in order of PHRF ratings (not that it means anything). What was the windspeed, and were the M24 & 70 able to plan on the downwind/reach legs?

#916 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

I just happened to stop by our yacht club this afternoon, and saw a new boat pulling in on a trailer. It was a new J/70 (#16), demo boat for Bruce Hill Yacht Sales in Shelburne, VT. My dad and I helped Jeff Hill step the mast (easy), and I took a bunch of photos. It looks like a really sweet boat, and I can't wait to see it on the race course with my Viper and our other local sportboats. Another member at the club has already purchased one, so that makes two on Lake Champlain so far. All we need now is to get the Open 5.70 to race, and the Melges 20 back out, and we will have enough for a sportboat fleet.

I'll post some photos of the J/70 when I get a chance.

Cheers,

jason

#917 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Interesting that the finish was in order of PHRF ratings (not that it means anything). What was the windspeed, and were the M24 & 70 able to plan on the downwind/reach legs?

Not that I saw. The 24 was close, but not quite enough to get her up on a plane. We were carrying a medium #1, so winds in the 8-12 range or so. The 70's kite was very much a runner, so it did not look so hot on the reach legs. Also on one of the downwinds the winds dropped way off for a few minutes, and the boat looked pretty parked. Lot of spinnaker area on the boat though.

I can link to the finish times and the corrections and everything if you'd like.

#918 -=koLLac=-

-=koLLac=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I just happened to stop by our yacht club this afternoon, and saw a new boat pulling in on a trailer. It was a new J/70 (#16), demo boat for Bruce Hill Yacht Sales in Shelburne, VT. My dad and I helped Jeff Hill step the mast (easy), and I took a bunch of photos. It looks like a really sweet boat, and I can't wait to see it on the race course with my Viper and our other local sportboats. Another member at the club has already purchased one, so that makes two on Lake Champlain so far. All we need now is to get the Open 5.70 to race, and the Melges 20 back out, and we will have enough for a sportboat fleet.

I'll post some photos of the J/70 when I get a chance.

Cheers,

jason

I saw him race in a VSC race over in Plattsburgh. I think they were only 2 up and nice breeze from the West. Unfortunately, it was not a buoy race so I never saw it go upwind or downwind (it was one long reach down south around an island and a reach back north). There were moment when they probably could have hoisted their spin but didn't.

btw, there is an i550 under construction in Plattsburgh as well as another Viper. You guys should get something going ;)

#919 BoomerangJ

BoomerangJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

J/70 and J/80 Demo Day at Austin Yacht Club Lake Travis! Sunday July 15th from 10am-3pm. Out on one of the docks! Cold beverages for your consumption! Sorry no Kool-Aid just the real deal!

Wind looks grim-but you never know! Hope to see you there!

#920 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

Photos as promised:

http://forums.sailin...ic=135446&st=94

Cheers,

jason