919 replies to this topic

#1 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

Announced two days ago J/70 will splash this fall. Should be around 25 feet and cost about the same as a Volvo station wagen.

#2 hobie17li

hobie17li

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

what's the big deal until there is some info
who cares

#3 B-Slick

B-Slick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

I could have swore J already had a successful 22 foot boat.

#4 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, J27's, Skiing

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

...and a 24', and a 26', and a 27', and a 29' and ......

#5 Nomenclature

Nomenclature

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

...and a 24', and a 26', and a 27', and a 29' and ......

...30,33,35,36,37,40,41,42,44,46,etc...

#6 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

for the metrically challenged, 7m=23', not 25. so a sporty boat actually a foot shorter than the venerable J/24, a foot longer than the J/22. I'd personally be more jazzed if it were a rebirth of the j/90, or a j/78, or something that's actually over 25'. the 20'er market seems pretty well defined now, but in the states there really aren't many choices of sporty boats in the 25 - 28' range, unless you want used. or a J/80 which, while having some strengths, isn't exactly a planing machine at least in New England.

Rodney will sell a ton of them I'm sure, but frankly even before seeing the drawings or design brief, I'm pretty disappointed.

#7 Peragrin

Peragrin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

J24-'s while nice are very far from actual one design. There has been so many subtle changes to them they need a refresh.

J-22's have no cockpit room. You get two people in there and your done.

a 22-24' day sailor boat open cockpit next to nothing for a cabin space, built out of modern materials to higher spec's would be great.

Think a 23' version of the J-80 . I have sailed on lots of different boats, and for bouy and short racing that small boats are raced on the open cockpits are far more comfortable than cramped ones.

#8 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hmmm... make it something you can go moderately offshore in rather than another ballasted dinghy might be a unique entry. A lot of people want to short coastal stuff shorthanded and that might be a good size. Guys over in England do Cat 3 stuff in J80s no reason a 7m couldn't do it. J Boats seems ot be going for the IRC market but an IRC 7m boat would be shite...

#9 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

The best proposal for a 7 meter IMHO is the Dibley 23 footer. Dibleymarine.com I think.

Extremely well thought out for production and now is dirt cheap to build in all carbon. That is where this project should go.

They should just make a deal with Dibley and save a ton of time and cash. Spend their time on a designing some fifty footers.

#10 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Fleets are getting too big... same with the J80's. Time to introduce something that will reduce the size of those OD fleets... it's a safety issue really, sailboat racing is dangerous when you get more than a dozen boat's on the line. Good on Jboat's for introducing a new model every month or so to address this issue.

#11 jsailannapolis

jsailannapolis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

Fleets are getting too big... same with the J80's. Time to introduce something that will reduce the size of those OD fleets... it's a safety issue really, sailboat racing is dangerous when you get more than a dozen boat's on the line. Good on Jboat's for introducing a new model every month or so to address this issue.

Funny joke...

#12 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

Yes and I distinctly remember the first time I saw a J/22. Ronald Reagan was in his first term. Maddona was a one hit wonder and Oprah Winfrey would not debut her show for three more years.......

Twenty eight years is a pretty long production run.

RIP J/22 1983 -2011

#13 Swimsailor

Swimsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:24 AM

The J/80 didn't kill the J/24 so I doubt the new boat will kill the J/22. I don't think they compete with one another. J/22's are like Stars, iconic and people will always race them. I agree with some of the comments though that with J Boats there's a huge risk that the boat will be too heavy and under powdered to be a real sporty.

#14 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

Plenty of speculation w/o any preliminary specs or drawings:...I bet if they stuck a J on the main of the FT 7.5, they'd sell a ton of them.

#15 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Plenty of speculation w/o any preliminary specs or drawings:...I bet if they stuck a J on the main of the FT 7.5, they'd sell a ton of them.

Really?
Sadly with AKAGP and enough said Stevens::ph34r: poluting the FT name I don't expect to see many people migrating to any of the FT products.

#16 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

my point is that J could take what is apparently a very fine design at that 24-26ft range and sell the shit out of it.....forget AKAGP and Stevens...

#17 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

Um... JBoats is not going to take someone else's design and sell it. Generally companies are more successful making and selling their own stuff. JBoats is very good at doing that. They know they are not meeting the requirements of some anarchists. They are OK with that. They make a business decision to go with boats that have some compromises and are good all-around boats, and that they will not beat every other boat at it's own game.

#18 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

It's the concept of the FT 7.5 design that im referring to, not literally that precise design...anyway, hopefully it will be a nice ride that will be well received...waiting paitently for my J70 email to arrive any day now!!

#19 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

Don't speculate until you see some facts. Keep an open mind and don't think of "replacement" as the word to be used in this situation.

#20 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

Guys over in England do Cat 3 stuff in J80s no reason a 7m couldn't do it.

Really? Can you give some examples? I've seen J80s doing cat 4 events such as Nab Tower but cannot recall any doing cat 3. Also, quite apart from the mountain of safety gear that cat 3 requires, most offshore race organisers here specify a minimum stability screen system number (SSSN) for cat 3 events that a J80 would not achieve.

#21 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:35 AM

J/22's are like Stars, iconic and people will always race them.

Yeah they are just like Stars. It's years since I've seen either a J/22 or a Star.

#22 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

Announced two days ago J/70 will splash this fall. Should be around 25 feet and cost about the same as a Volvo station wagen.

And sail like one too?

#23 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Dogwatch - cat3 races by J80's in UK were fairly rare (mostly with JOG) now even less so. A few still in France around 100-150 miles.

I like the J80, it's greater stability vs other sports boats is a plus and the European fleets are really strong, with many 50-100 boat events each year to choose from.

I was given a heads up on the new 70 in January, it's going to be interesting to see and sail and complimentary to the J range.

#24 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

And sail like one too?

In the words fo Dudly Moore.
"THere Boxy, but there good"

#25 Bird

Bird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

And sail like one too?

Funny but no. When the J24 came out, they compared it to the cost of a Volvo station wagon. I bet it will be a cool boat that sails well, and they sell a ton of them.

#26 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Dogwatch - cat3 races by J80's in UK were fairly rare (mostly with JOG) now even less so.

Hmmm, I see JOG has dropped its min SSSN to 10/15 for cat4/cat3. It used to be 15/20. Quite a difference. Still not too sure how easily a J/80 is going to meet http://www.jog.org.u...List%202011.pdf and the JOG entry lists still aren't exactly full of what you'd call raceboats (as once upon a time they were).

#27 Survivor

Survivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

First rendering of the J/70 released today from J boats. Looks pretty J/80 to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• J70_575px.jpg

#28 FranklyScarlet

FranklyScarlet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

Just checked. New Volvo Station Wagons are $33-40K, so the J/70 is going to cost the same as a used J/80 or a new J/22? Doubtful.

#29 André

André

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Looks like my U20...with a backstay.

#30 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

Andre - sadly - the U20 looks better with the more squared off stern section and the pole is kept out of the interior and no gaskets to worry about LOL.

I'd Put money on it that the U24 is still faster - lighter and more fun to sail too.

#31 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:sailing! and taking photographs

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

First rendering of the J/70 released today from J boats. Looks pretty J/80 to me.

dosen't look like my J/80!

#32 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:26 AM

Andre - sadly - the U20 looks better with the more squared off stern section and the pole is kept out of the interior and no gaskets to worry about LOL.

I'd Put money on it that the U24 is still faster - lighter and more fun to sail too.

LOL
U20 is an expert after seeing the one and only artists rendition of the boat. BTW if U20s are so uber cool why did you sell yours?
What do you think the chances are of J Boats selling more J70s than U20s and U24s combined during their first year of production?

#33 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

Boat looks cool. Cant wait to see what the program is in terms of hiking. Add a pad on the lines and go legs in like the M20 or contort yourself under that damn thing like you do on an 80.

BTW.. does anyone else thing the lifelines on a J80 are WAY too high? I digress....

Boat looks cool. Cant wait to see what the program is in terms of hiking. Add a pad on the lines and go legs in like the M20 or contort yourself under that damn thing like you do on an 80.

BTW.. does anyone else thing the lifelines on a J80 are WAY too high? I digress....

#34 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,627 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

looks a lot like what Mcalpine Downey designed and MFG's powerboat builders tried to build in the early 1970s...

Posted Image

#35 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

Dang. I signed up to "Be the first to learn more" at http://www.jboats.com/j70/, and now other people have seen the image before I did...

#36 #19

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:45 AM

Looks similar to the slightly larger J90..

Posted Image

Bow on the U20,U24 is far less plumb.

#37 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

The J80 is a bitch to hike (so I'm told !), the life line is too high

J80 Mondial - 2007_0705.JPG

#38 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

If she doesn't show up with chines and dual rudders there are more than a couple of NCal people here interested.

#39 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:57 AM

If she doesn't show up with chines and dual rudders there are more than a couple of NCal people here interested.

She'll also have to have at least 400 lbs of ballast to qualify for NCPHRF until a one design fleet is established.

#40 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

She'll also have to have at least 400 lbs of ballast to qualify for NCPHRF until a one design fleet is established.

I would assume a 7 meter boat would almost have to have 4 bills in the keel....

#41 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

I have no idea why people are saying it looks like a J80, J90, or U20. It really looks nothing like any of them. Maybe, it looks kinda like a smaller Farr25.

#42 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:35 AM

I have no idea why people are saying it looks like a J80, J90, or U20. It really looks nothing like any of them. Maybe, it looks kinda like a smaller Farr25.

Looks like the FT7.5 more than the others.

#43 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

Why a cabin top?

PS- can't Volvo wagons be pretty pricey? :huh:

#44 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

Not so much...

J70Render_725px.jpg

J111_575px.jpg

Posted Image

#45 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

LOL
U20 is an expert after seeing the one and only artists rendition of the boat. BTW if U20s are so uber cool why did you sell yours?
What do you think the chances are of J Boats selling more J70s than U20s and U24s combined during their first year of production?

Monster - change in plans unlike many I'd rather see my boat used than sit in the yard wasting away because I don't have time to race her. Trust me selling the boat hand nothing to do with the boat and everything to do with my available time to do so. But you seem to be an expert please share.

#46 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:17 AM

Not so much...

J70Render_725px.jpg

J111_575px.jpg

Posted Image

Apt comparison to the J/111

#47 stealingisacrime

stealingisacrime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

Looks exactly like the Farr 25 OD http://www.farrdesign.com/667.htm

#48 Swimsailor

Swimsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

Looks exactly like the Farr 25 OD http://www.farrdesign.com/667.htm

I think you're letting you eyes be decieved by the red stripe.

#49 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

Offshore shorthander.......

#50 tomcheney

tomcheney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

Not so much...

J70Render_725px.jpg

J111_575px.jpg

Posted Image

Agree it looks like a mini j/111 - which can't be a bad thing.

#51 bens

bens

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

I hope for them the keels don't fall of like on a few of the j 80....

#52 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

So, here's a challenge for ya:

Go build 500 boats, and sell them to a wide variety of people sailing in a wide variety of places, with a wide variety of ideas about how to take care of those boats. Then keep track of how many keels fall off!

#53 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

Like it or not, J Boats is one of the most successful boat designers/manufactures and marketing companies out there.

#54 Furkolkjaaf

Furkolkjaaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

Go build 500 boats, and sell them to a wide variety of people sailing in a wide variety of places, with a wide variety of ideas about how to take care of those boats. Then keep track of how many keels fall off!

500 ??
1000++ !

#55 Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Community organizing.

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

Yeah, you know...like the Ford Pinto...it was only one in about 100 that flamed when hit from behind, incinerating all aboard, but the other 99 Pinto owners and passengers LOVED em!

#56 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

Yeah, you know...like the Ford Pinto...it was only one in about 100 that flamed when hit from behind, incinerating all aboard, but the other 99 Pinto owners and passengers LOVED em!

Really? Somebody loved the Pinto? We are talking about the car, not the horse, right?
(Now the Bobcat, that was a car!)

#57 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

It was only 2 of over 1200 built. Not saying that makes keels falling off right, but there are lots of variables involved. You just trying to start a shit fight?

#58 jsailannapolis

jsailannapolis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

Any new news?

#59 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Really? Somebody loved the Pinto? We are talking about the car, not the horse, right?
(Now the Bobcat, that was a car!)

I prefered the Gremlin

Posted Image

#60 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Any new news?

+1

#61 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

well?

#62 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

You never, ever see Gremlins anymore.

#63 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

weren't you involved in the FT10?

wow, that is chutzpa.....your cheap shitbox required a complete rebuild to be seaworthy.....and you have the balls to comment on a success like the J80?

#64 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

Well? Where are the pictures of hull #1 being built?

J/Boats says on their site "sea-trialing fall 2011" and we're just about there.

#65 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Interests:boats and bourbon

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:30 AM

Well? Where are the pictures of hull #1 being built?

J/Boats says on their site "sea-trialing fall 2011" and we're just about there.

Sailing world has a short writeup on it.

http://www.sailingworld.com/sailboats/big-fun-in-small-packages-j-boats

I lost interest when I heard they were being built in China.

#66 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

Really? Why?

While I'd love to see them built in the US, I don't think it can be done at a low enough price point that you can sell them. If Sailing World is right about $45k for boat/sails/trailer...

Also heard from that hiking will be legs out not in, and it will be a fat head main with backstay, not a squaretop.

#67 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

I guess that rules out Rod taking one to Off Soundings for the Fall, but I bet we see it at Spring off soundings, just like he brought the J/95. $45k for that size boat is pretty damn good these days, though yeah I'd rather see them give that kind of business to the US instead of china. I wish they'd show something more than a damn "rendering" though. and I wish it were a J/77 or J/78 instead of a J/7, but... can't have everything.

#68 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

Bits + pieces manufactured in China, final assembly in Portsmouth (Randy)

#69 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

how heavy

will j/boats really build light enough to be considered a sportsboat?

j/boat M.O. = maximising profits, and easy prod durability says low-tech glasswork = weight

not a sportsboat if it's heavy

#70 JACO

JACO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

how heavy

j/boat M.O. = maximising profits, and easy prod durability says low-tech glasswork = weight

there's some truth in that.....some.
but that very same MO also tends to lead to boats that have a shelf life. not being replaced every three years to stay competitive.

#71 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

Well, seeing as brothercousin Jim got divorced and moved to Fujian to run the Asia branch of the family business, no surprises.

#72 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

how heavy

Thought you already knew how heavy it was? That was the reason you used to shoot down my suggestion that it would be an Olympic suggestion for a sportsboat. Jumping off a bit before you actually know what you're talking about?

#73 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

This has been a very low key marketing exercise for J Boats, no mold pics, no production pics etc, etc. Perhaps its not going so well.

#74 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

This has been a very low key marketing exercise for J Boats, no mold pics, no production pics etc, etc. Perhaps its not going so well.

20ft sport boat costs about the same to build as a 24ft sport boat chances are the marketing budget for it represents the very thin profit they would get compared to say a J111 etc.

#75 JACO

JACO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

...or perhaps they've finally learned that anything released prematurely (ie.,before it is carved in stone) just winds up being ammo for the hacks on some forums to use to bash them. I suspect when there is something definitive to say or show it will appear.

#76 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

20ft sport boat costs about the same to build as a 24ft sport boat chances are the marketing budget for it represents the very thin profit they would get compared to say a J111 etc.

How about their web-site?

#77 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:16 AM

Never show a fools work half done.

#78 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

From an anarchist in the Northeast...

"The J/70 master hull plug is finished and hull molding is underway. The hull form was initially cut with an extremely precise 5-axis robotic milling machine and then faired and long-boarded to match hull fairing templates. The master hull plug has been mirror-finished to millimeter tolerances, assuring sailors of strict, international one-design sailing. The project timeline has two J/70's sailing before the end of 2011. Full production is expected to begin by January 2012 with the first shipments to North America and Europe arriving by late February/early March. Due to overwhelmingly interest worldwide, plans are already in place to build additional tooling to assist with the ramp-up as well to fast-track a European start-up in 2012 for additional international sailing events.

For more J/70 Speedster sailing information and latest developments here.
http://www.jboats.com/j70"

Attached Thumbnails

• J70_hull_05.jpg
  • J70_hull_09.jpg
  • J70_rig.JPG

#79 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

Good to see they listened to me :)
I'm glad to see that they didn't follow the trend with chines.

#80 williwaw

williwaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

Looking at the deck rendering I hope J boats will re-design the layout, genoa winch way to far aft and it is not from 2011/2012 anymore not to have a transvere genoa track. They should have come up with something more clever.

#81 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

williwaw you josh huh

the 'tracks' you're looking at is the boom vang ! the jib tracks are 2000s 'normal' ?

winches no idea why

funny how they need to mention a dynamic (inferring auto) rig, yet admit it needs an adjusting backstay to make it dynamic !
of course big backstay loads reduce a topmasts ability to fully react

trad single backstays are kinda last century on SBs this size, but it's obvious they are taking alot of cues (treading safely) from the '90s m24

#82 williwaw

williwaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Fortunately I know the difference between a boom vang and genoatracks.
It is from last century putting on longitudial jibtracks on a new sportsboat.

#83 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

it's still pretty normal around here,

show us a pic

under 8mtr boat so not comparing apples w/ oranges, not a 'yacht' or keelboat
--------------------

i guess it's just terminology but we ain't seen a genoa on a sportsboat for a while now !

on another note winches aren't used here either

heres the Longzte which is new-ish and apparently all the rage in yr part of the globe ( 54 boat regatta)

i think the little j/boat is in line w this

Posted Image

#84 williwaw

williwaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Pro 25

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0044.JPG

#85 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

Mr C - thanks for the post - first new info I've seen in a while despite registering my interest with the J agent here.

At 7m I think you don't need winches, just. SB3/M20/M24/1720 don't have them although in heavier air the loads on the kite sheet are reasonably heavy on these boats, above what the average female sailor can handle comfortably. J80 has winches of course. I have no issue with fore/aft jib tracks, nor a backstay and traveller set up - it's what we all know and understand. I would observe than on the M20 with it's mainsheet only setup if you don't get the rig tune right for the conditions you are stuffed - the range of tuning on the adjustable shrouds is for tweaking only.

#86 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

agree with that , I was with you till the last sentence

confusing a mainsheet with backstay use is a yacht thing and doesn't take into consideration dynamic or auto rig like the antipodean boats and the Vipe, Longzte

look at the VX

sportsboats have been taking cues off skiff style rigs for a long time now and its not new tech, now legacy,
backstay tension would stop a dynamic rig, well ? being dynamic
-----------------------

winches ... even the more powerful of the 8mtr boats don't use winches, multi-part jib sheeting and 2x3" ratchets PER side for the kite
on a big reach u might need 2 blokes on the kite but not W/L racing

we could not consider a man down off the hiking bench twirling a winch

#87 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

J/Boats is normally a little more conservative and evolutionary in their approach. They are not setting out to build a cutting edge sport boat. Just like the J/111 isn't cutting edge. What it is, and what I suspect the target is for the J/70 is a fast (but not the fastest) responsive (but not so responsive that only olympic class helmsmen candrive), tuneable (but not so tweaky that if you're off slightly you'll be instantly spit out the back of the fleet) fun to sail boat that appeal to a wide range of potential customers....And I mean that as a compliment. I think the J/111 hit it's mark exactly and is a great boat. In fact as I look at J/Boats J/70 pages, I don't see a single use of the word "sportboat" in any of their addvertising or description of the boat.

#88 jsailannapolis

jsailannapolis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

J/Boats is normally a little more conservative and evolutionary in their approach. They are not setting out to build a cutting edge sport boat. Just like the J/111 isn't cutting edge. What it is, and what I suspect the target is for the J/70 is a fast (but not the fastest) responsive (but not so responsive that only olympic class helmsmen candrive), tuneable (but not so tweaky that if you're off slightly you'll be instantly spit out the back of the fleet) fun to sail boat that appeal to a wide range of potential customers....And I mean that as a compliment. I think the J/111 hit it's mark exactly and is a great boat. In fact as I look at J/Boats J/70 pages, I don't see a single use of the word "sportboat" in any of their addvertising or description of the boat.

I think you have it right.

#89 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

williwaw you josh huh

the 'tracks' you're looking at is the boom vang ! the jib tracks are 2000s 'normal' ?

winches no idea why

funny how they need to mention a dynamic (inferring auto) rig, yet admit it needs an adjusting backstay to make it dynamic !
of course big backstay loads reduce a topmasts ability to fully react

trad single backstays are kinda last century on SBs this size, but it's obvious they are taking alot of cues (treading safely) from the '90s m24

Of all the comparables, I think the J/70 is going to be closest to M24 in size/weight/use but come in 200 lbs lighter and 10-15k cheaper than the aging (but still best) production one-design sportboat in the marketplace. It's almost impossible to get a good M24 these days without spending around 60k or more for a new one, even a good used one is still 45k+, and J/Boats is betting on the design parameters and their proven distribution and marketing...over 100 orders already...

#90 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

have they got the Sportsboat bit right

genoa ?

headsail winch ?

why ?

I would pile on with "a forward hatch"?

#91 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

Melges 20 has a forward hatch too, very useful.

#92 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

I don't see a single use of the word "sportboat" in any of their advertising or description of the boat.

no they reserve that for the rocketship j/80, the j/70s image and terminology must be fresh* so they can't use that for their 'speedster'

*unlike the 20 yr old design they are mimicing

Clean you reckon they might be light ? ? h ah ha ha h hah ha
that would be lke the sb3 being light, if J were to come out at a weight thats not embarrasing they would have done so already

How ill a boat this size go with 3 people upwind? I'll tell you -- WEIGHT, they don't need to be light as you mention the J kool aid drinkers have already ordered 100 (without knowing the weight btw) and they will market it, as you point out

like the sb3 it will be built low tech prod fashion to maximise profits and durability, this generally results in a boat twice as heavy as need be like the sb3 laser, hobie beach cats etc
these Cos. are in the business of profits only and know the formula well

like the sb3 they will not be able to 'trick' sportsboat sailors on Anarchy and dumb down category, you aren't a sportsboat at keelboat DLrs

#93 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

I don't see a single use of the word "sportboat" in any of their addvertising or description of the boat.

no they reserve that for the j/80, the j/70s image and terminology must be fresh* so they can't use that for their 'speedster'

*unlike the 20 yr old design they are mimicing

Clean you reckon they might be light ? ? h ah ha ha h hah ha

dreamin pal

no...it's not dreamin...it's you type casting whinger boy.

go and sail any of the boats you are criticising well. Get a result and then someone may take your collection of sportboat memorabilia with some credence. until then disagree rather than challenge and you might actually learn something too.

fuck knows you need to. slow as an old mole

#94 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

where was i slow

12/1 thrashing you

put on a sportsboat 'type' as helm you failed to get to the 1st top mark 2 of 2,
being 'uncomfortable about this' , never to be seen again

#95 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

where was i slow

hahahahaha

#96 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

well lets put it another way

tomorrow i'm asked to go on the boat you could not sail ONE LEG on cos you shit yaself, and thats a 30

my record on SBs is series pointscore placings or wins every year i've been out, and that just at home,
i been doing it way prior on the nat circuit before the local stuff started

you haven't been on a SB since the mid 90s ? back to GA with the other ex-sailors

#97 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

well lets put it another way

tomorrow i'm asked to go on the boat you could not sail ONE LEG on cos you shit yaself

my record on SBs is pointscore placings and wins every year i've been out, and that just at home

ahahahahahahahaha. love yer werk

it is whatever you think it is Davey...R U O K?

#98 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

anyone got the skinny on this boats weight ?

will the Hull be single skin or cored

posterity...some editing going on. slow as usual

ok...it's friday night...gotta go...you keep strong gobby. go fast

#99 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

anyone got the skinny on this boats weight ?

will the Hull be single skin or cored

this is Anarchy with the reputation of 'heard it here first" after all

can Clean break the 'veil of secrecy'

#100 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

I think you have it right.

I concur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users