cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Posted Image

Give us some warning Sons when posting shiny polished stuff. Sun glasses now donned. Launch date would be????

my new chainplates came in. I was blown away.

I need to go back and check but I was certain I only ordered 3. He made all 6! :o

I had it in my mind that the price he quoted me was for 3 and that was good. For 6, that was absurd. He's a friend of mine and I told him no 'friend' discount. He is fairly new to the business (just bought the shop a few months ago) and he confided in me that he underestimated how much time the polishing took. He said it took 5 hours, which sounded a little high for 3 pieces, but now I totally understand.

#602 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Posted Image

Give us some warning Sons when posting shiny polished stuff. Sun glasses now donned. Launch date would be????

I need to go back and check but I was certain I only ordered 3. He made all 6! :o

I had it in my mind that the price he quoted me was for 3 and that was good. For 6, that was absurd. He's a friend of mine and I told him no 'friend' discount. He is fairly new to the business (just bought the shop a few months ago) and he confided in me that he underestimated how much time the polishing took. He said it took 5 hours, which sounded a little high for 3 pieces, but now I totally understand.

leaves here in the a.m. on the 2nd, arrives superior in late a.m./early afternoon and goes right in the water. But no rigging. That will be later.

#603 Cavelamb

Cavelamb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

Sweet!

Now aren't you glad you didn't try to drill those yourself?

hell yeah! In fact, those holes were plasma cut and they're dead nuts on. So really, I shouldn't feel too bad. My buddy didn't actually 'make' them. He had one of his buddies plasma cut them. Then had one of the shop guys do the polishing. That was the other part I didn't want anything to do with. Polishing brass, bronze, and aluminum is fine. I dig that. SS? fuk that.

To quote Jimmy Carter, "I have lusted in my heart" for that little Hobart plasma cutter.
The one with the built-in compressor...
It's (just barely) less than a boat buck.

#604 Cavelamb

Cavelamb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

:blink: I'm freakin' out man!

Frantically working on wrapping up the boat. Finished putting all the beadboard in last night. If anyone get's the opportunity to do something like this on a more 'traditional' vessel, I highly recommend it. It looks KICK ASS. And that's coming from someone who's a hack. Someone with much more patience and skill could make it way more awesome than I did.

A buddy came over this week and polished the teak cap rail with Finesse It. Oh MY FG! Will need to get pictures. Unreal. I'm going to have to put bubble wrap all over the boat when I get it in the marina.

Started sanding the sole last night. Should be able to get 2 coats on tonight and a third tomorrow. Still need bottom paint and some varnish touchups. Oh, and I need to wire everything up. New panel is sitting at home by now. New hoses for cockpit drains and deck fills. Need to install depth/speed/temp sounder. Can't forget that or the boat will sink. Fuck.

I have to have everything out of the boat shed by Sunday eve. I have no idea how they're going to get the boat out of the enclosure. At first they were saying they'd need to strike the enclosure, but then the guy was saying he might be able to move the enclosure.

If any of you Twin Citians are looking for something to do, come on by Watergate Marina on Saturday around 6pm.

Boat leaves Twin Cities on the 2nd!

You are doing all that just to spite me, aren't you!

Dam I wish I could be there, Sons!

#605 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

:blink: I'm freakin' out man!

Frantically working on wrapping up the boat. Finished putting all the beadboard in last night. If anyone get's the opportunity to do something like this on a more 'traditional' vessel, I highly recommend it. It looks KICK ASS. And that's coming from someone who's a hack. Someone with much more patience and skill could make it way more awesome than I did.

A buddy came over this week and polished the teak cap rail with Finesse It. Oh MY FG! Will need to get pictures. Unreal. I'm going to have to put bubble wrap all over the boat when I get it in the marina.

Started sanding the sole last night. Should be able to get 2 coats on tonight and a third tomorrow. Still need bottom paint and some varnish touchups. Oh, and I need to wire everything up. New panel is sitting at home by now. New hoses for cockpit drains and deck fills. Need to install depth/speed/temp sounder. Can't forget that or the boat will sink. Fuck.

I have to have everything out of the boat shed by Sunday eve. I have no idea how they're going to get the boat out of the enclosure. At first they were saying they'd need to strike the enclosure, but then the guy was saying he might be able to move the enclosure.

If any of you Twin Citians are looking for something to do, come on by Watergate Marina on Saturday around 6pm.

You are doing all that just to spite me, aren't you!

Dam I wish I could be there, Sons!

shit man, when I started this madness my first thought was, "how can I screw with Cave's head?"

:P

#606 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

panel came in last week and I set it up.

I can't believe it, but it actually looks like it's supposed to! B)

Hustling my ass today to clean out the tent and fill up the garage. Somehow they're going to extract my boat from the tent. They 'have a plan'. I don't even want to ask. :unsure:

Attached Files

#607 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

panel came in last week and I set it up.

I can't believe it, but it actually looks like it's supposed to! B)

Hustling my ass today to clean out the tent and fill up the garage. Somehow they're going to extract my boat from the tent. They 'have a plan'. I don't even want to ask. :unsure:

Congrat! Looks great.

#608 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

NASA would envy that panel. Nice job!

#609 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Looks great Sons. Home stretch on the refit is a great place to be - honest! :lol:

#610 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

carted 3 carloads of crap from the tent to the garage and still have 2 more to go. Told the yard guys I was going to be done today. Nope. Playing hooky tomorrow...

#611 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Here's some shots of the shop. All of that stuff is put away now.

'put away' is code for 'stacked in garage until I find time to clean it out'

Attached Files

#612 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Sons,

How Awesome! I looked at your two-weeks-to-go list and shook my head; that's more work than most people do in an entire off season. Amazing.

Sorry we missed your party last weekend; sadly our weekend boat schedule is 180 degrees from yours. We'll have to find time to hook up up north. We spent a lot of the past weekend in the west Apostles (Sand & York Islands) and there were lots of boats from Duluth, Superior, and Corny at the anchorages. A manageable distance (45NM) if you start early. Cannot wait to see you guys on the water.

#613 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

no worries, I figured you guys would be doing what you do :D

we're planning part 2 of the party at end of season. Hopefully Soņadora will be 99% by then.

#614 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

The guys at Watergate asked me to have the shelter cleaned out by tomorrow. I promised I'd have it done by Sunday. After busting ass until 2 a.m. I still wasn't done cleaning up. So I skipped work yesterday. There is still SO much to do on the boat, I'm hyperventrilicating. My goal was to get any 'holes' covered because as soon as they pull it out of the shelter, it will start raining and never stop.

So I worked all day thinking I'd get done and just spend a happy 1/2 hour or so cleaning up and go home before midnight.

Back in Reality Land, the sun was coming up when I got home. I'm at work now, running on fumes and caffeine.

My car is crammed to the gills which means I had to drive the 'other' car.

And if I go down the list of stuff that needs to get done, it makes me shudder.

On the upside, the boat is ready to leave. I think all my thru-hulls are water tight. They will put her in the water, but there will be no sailing most likely until September. There are quite a few 'holes' still needing filled and I need to finish the electrical. At least being at the dock I'll have power handy (yes, I ALWAYS disconnect shore power when working on the boat).

#615 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

September isn't far. You'll be sailing soon.

#616 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

The guys at Watergate asked me to have the shelter cleaned out by tomorrow. I promised I'd have it done by Sunday. After busting ass until 2 a.m. I still wasn't done cleaning up. So I skipped work yesterday. There is still SO much to do on the boat, I'm hyperventrilicating. My goal was to get any 'holes' covered because as soon as they pull it out of the shelter, it will start raining and never stop.

So I worked all day thinking I'd get done and just spend a happy 1/2 hour or so cleaning up and go home before midnight.

Back in Reality Land, the sun was coming up when I got home. I'm at work now, running on fumes and caffeine.

My car is crammed to the gills which means I had to drive the 'other' car.

And if I go down the list of stuff that needs to get done, it makes me shudder.

On the upside, the boat is ready to leave. I think all my thru-hulls are water tight. They will put her in the water, but there will be no sailing most likely until September. There are quite a few 'holes' still needing filled and I need to finish the electrical. At least being at the dock I'll have power handy (yes, I ALWAYS disconnect shore power when working on the boat).

You are closer to sailing then we are Rick!

#617 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Have you test run the engine yet?

#618 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Have you test run the engine yet?

NO WAY!

First order of business when Barker's gets it is to pump out old fuel and clean the fuel lines from the deck fill to the engine before ever attempting to start it.

Besides, they can't start it. No juice :D

Kim
thank you for putting it into perspective. :lol:

#619 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Let's see some pics.. Kimb has set a high standard for you to live up to!

#620 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

There will be pics. I've been taking tons of pics and have them stored. After this weekend, I won't be doing any boat work during the week, so I'll have time to get them up.

We've been experiencing a pretty serious drought here in the midwest.

Yesterday, Watergate moved the shelter away from the boat (not vice versa - they actually lifted up that 40' x 15' x 16' shelter onto a trailer and moved it away from the boat). So now my boat is exposed. And guess what the forecast is for the next few days?

RAIN!

So, you're welcome midwest farmers for me ending your serious drought. I hope your crops do well. Posted Image

#621 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Water...frozen or otherwise, can't be picky up here.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Whoo-hoo! Been following along with your adventures as I spent the winter helping out with the overhaul of an Olson 40 - misery (who am I kidding, it's a blast) loves company . What a beauty! Looking forward to checking it out down at Barkers, so if you see someone lurking it might be me, I'll be sure to introduce myself. :)

#622 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

We're in the water! Currently tied up next to the crane.
What an awesome marina. It's great to finally be someplace where folks actually know stuff! Not to slight the guys at Watergate. JP and crew were stellar, but it's a river marina. Maybe someday when we get that houseboat...

#623 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

What an awesome marina. It's great to finally be someplace where folks actually know stuff! Not to slight the guys at Watergate. JP and crew were stellar, but it's a river marina. Maybe someday when we get that houseboat...

Awesome! Barkers is indeed great. And go check out the Olson 40. But keep you eyes out for britches. She's always up to no good.

#624 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Good on you Rick!! Congratulations!

#625 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Skype: slim_joel

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Congrats man!

#626 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

All right Rick! That's great!

#627 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Congratulations! I bet it feels great to step on board and feel it move in the water again.

#628 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Pics or it didn't happen!

#629 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Congrats on getting her back in the water. Time to rig, sail and relax!

#630 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

Raining like hell now. See a dozen or so leaks. I know where they're from at least.

#631 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Raining like hell now. See a dozen or so leaks. I know where they're from at least.

Great that you are back in, hope the leaks are above the waterline, those are less stressful... ;)

#632 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Raining like hell now.

WELCOME to the Twin Ports!! :-)

#633 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

Great that you are back in, hope the leaks are above the waterline, those are less stressful... ;)

I suppose so, but it's a bit like chinese water torture

We're back home now. Internet access was a bit spotty there, so now I have a chance to post some pics.

Everyone through the move was just terrific. In fact, I thought the guys at Watergate were going to cry. They got all choked up saying goodbye. Maybe when I get that trawler I'll park it there...

The guys from Cross Country Boat Movers really know there shit. This is the third time I've used them and they make this stuff look easy. I was going to follow them up the freeway, but I had 3 teenage girls to wait for.

We managed to make it to Barker's just as they were unloading from the trailer.

Still quite a bit to do. I did manage to start the engine. To my amazement, the Yanmar started right up. I don't even think it made one full revolution before it fired. Smooth as ever. Obviously I have my batteries installed, but I have a large amount of wiring to sort out. I keep trying to get it done then I realize I have other priorities like getting the mast ready. Would have had the mast installed today except I left the most important clevis pin at home. It's a beefy 5/8" that secures the babstay to the end of the bowsprit. I did manage to install my new Garmin wind transducer. Also sorted out the wiring and standing rigging.

I found out where all the water leaks are coming from and 99% of them should be taken care of. Mostly just stuff I hadn't fully secured.

Here you go Bob :D

Attached Files

#634 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Looks good Rick. As good as new (or better).

#635 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Rick:
Thanks. The boat looks great. I saved that profile shot for my archives.

#636 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Looking good Rick! They got the compression post sorted??

#637 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Bob

I really like those shots in the lift and on the trailer. She really looks great outside the exclusion zone! :)

Looking good Rick! They got the compression post sorted??

nope. Not yet. I had too much crap everywhere for them to get access. When Minna got to the boat, all she could say was, "Gee, I didn't think it was going to be this bad." Posted Image

I'm going to send out a list to Joe and see what he thinks. I think we're ok to sail with it for now the way it is. It's not going anywhere. It's hard to explain, but the post is very secure, even with the step pretty much gone.

Sitting at work today thinking I don't belong here. B)

#638 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Congratulations Sons. Some sweet pictures. Enjoy the fruits of your labour.

I suppose so, but it's a bit like chinese water torture

We're back home now. Internet access was a bit spotty there, so now I have a chance to post some pics.

Everyone through the move was just terrific. In fact, I thought the guys at Watergate were going to cry. They got all choked up saying goodbye. Maybe when I get that trawler I'll park it there...

The guys from Cross Country Boat Movers really know there shit. This is the third time I've used them and they make this stuff look easy. I was going to follow them up the freeway, but I had 3 teenage girls to wait for.

We managed to make it to Barker's just as they were unloading from the trailer.

Still quite a bit to do. I did manage to start the engine. To my amazement, the Yanmar started right up. I don't even think it made one full revolution before it fired. Smooth as ever. Obviously I have my batteries installed, but I have a large amount of wiring to sort out. I keep trying to get it done then I realize I have other priorities like getting the mast ready. Would have had the mast installed today except I left the most important clevis pin at home. It's a beefy 5/8" that secures the babstay to the end of the bowsprit. I did manage to install my new Garmin wind transducer. Also sorted out the wiring and standing rigging.

I found out where all the water leaks are coming from and 99% of them should be taken care of. Mostly just stuff I hadn't fully secured.

Here you go Bob :D

#639 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

The boat looked fantastic sons! In between coming and going from the race I managed to take a run over a get a quick look, but didn't see anyone around. And you're right, you don't belong at work - it's a beautiful day up here, blue sky, a nice west wind, calm seas...perfect day to be on the water (at least thats what the view from my office tells me :lol: ).

#640 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Boat looks great.

#641 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

The boat looked fantastic sons! In between coming and going from the race I managed to take a run over a get a quick look, but didn't see anyone around. And you're right, you don't belong at work - it's a beautiful day up here, blue sky, a nice west wind, calm seas...perfect day to be on the water (at least thats what the view from my office tells me :lol: ).

We're going to be there Saturday and hopefully she'll be fully rigged and ready to go. Not sure where we'll be, but should have a slip by then. Probably over on C dock.

#642 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Bumping this awesome thread to get it on top of the spam. :angry:

#643 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

while the majority of the work has been done, there is still quite a bit to wrap up. Especially the electrical stuff. I had a heck of a time finding the DC + to the starter. This should explain why...

Attached File  WP_000075 (Medium).jpg   83.99K   54 downloads

Attached File  WP_000077 (Medium).jpg   117.14K   54 downloads

I almost connected that black line to the battery neg. Then I noticed another black line snaking out the back of the engine. I'm especially impressed with the improvised battery post + 'amorphous cover'.

#644 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

while the majority of the work has been done, there is still quite a bit to wrap up. Especially the electrical stuff. I had a heck of a time finding the DC + to the starter. This should explain why...

Attached File  WP_000075 (Medium).jpg   83.99K   54 downloads

Attached File  WP_000077 (Medium).jpg   117.14K   54 downloads

I almost connected that black line to the battery neg. Then I noticed another black line snaking out the back of the engine. I'm especially impressed with the improvised battery post + 'amorphous cover'.

Jesus, changing color AND bare, just waiting to smack against the engine block to make a fireworks show. :rolleyes:

I know that's PO work right there. If you don't mind my asking, how long have you owned the boat?

#645 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Sons, one of our first tool purchases was good Greenlee crimpers with rotary dies. High current and bad crimps are not a place we want to be. It's amazing how many boat owners just throw stuff together with no regard to future repairs or safety.

#646 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Ajax

Oh, it wasn't bare. It was wrapped with about two rolls of electrical tape so we're good...yeesh

It's been like that for as long as I've had it, and probably longer. I'm assuming that big black cable was welding cable. The sheath on it was shot. If you bent the cable, the sheath would crack open all the way to the non-tinned copper wire inside. Sorta freaked me out when I saw that.

Joli

At Barker's Island Marina, I have access to a damn good crimper

Posted Image

As well as all the battery cable and lugs I could ever want. The place is a gold mine. I made up all new RED cable for the + side. Of course, I won't tell you that all the cables I made were about 10" too short.

oops

I measured the run incorrectly. Don't ask. So I had to get some proper battery posts and use some of the existing red battery cables I already had to 'lengthen' the cables by a couple feet.

#647 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Got the stick up, but not without looking like a freakin' chucklehead.

First, I had the check stays on wrong fore/aft. So when they put the mast up, the stays wouldn't reach the chainplates. Eric (yeah, the same Eric who won the singlehanded TransPac in an Olson 30), goes up to flip 'em. Finds the nuts holding down the plates are only finger tight. So now all the nuts are suspect. He fixes that screw up then goes up to check the 'non-running back' or whatever it is that sort of counters the staysail. Again, finger tight. More locktight and tightening. Then goes all the way up. Those are tight, but he puts locktight on anyway. I thanked him for saving my life. "Nah, I just saved your mast." "That's what I mean!"

Yesterday I looked at the manual for the wind transducer. Why didn't I look at it before putting the mast up? Because I'm a freakin' chucklehead! I forgot to put the in-line terminator between the transducer and the drop cable. :angry:

dammit!

#648 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Rick:
Those "checkstays" are really upper intermediates and they don't do much. I'd probably try it without them. Less weight, less windage and less chafe on the main. I puit those on all my cutters years ago because the old guys did nit that way. The as I started thinking about it and learning more about what keeps a mast up it ocurred to me that those shrouds are too far forward to do much of anything relative to your forestay. You could convert them into running backs and just have them on hand, in case. I've done this with a number of Valiants.

#649 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

thanks Bob. I remember you mentioning that before. But I like saying my shrouds go to 11 :D

I will most likely convert to running backs at some point. Most of the more 'serious' Baba guys have already done that.

#650 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

First, I had the check stays on wrong fore/aft. So when they put the mast up, the stays wouldn't reach the chainplates. Eric (yeah, the same Eric who won the singlehanded TransPac in an Olson 30), goes up to flip 'em. Finds the nuts holding down the plates are only finger tight. So now all the nuts are suspect. He fixes that screw up then goes up to check the 'non-running back' or whatever it is that sort of counters the staysail. Again, finger tight. More locktight and tightening. Then goes all the way up. Those are tight, but he puts locktight on anyway. I thanked him for saving my life. "Nah, I just saved your mast." "That's what I mean!"

Yesterday I looked at the manual for the wind transducer. Why didn't I look at it before putting the mast up? Because I'm a freakin' chucklehead! I forgot to put the in-line terminator between the transducer and the drop cable. :angry:

dammit!

Eric is a good dude to have around, and an even better one to have on a boat! Learning from him is an honor...unfortunately I'm at the front and he's typically in the back, so I have to really try and put my listening ears on:) .

Saw the boat on Sunday over there on D, but it looked pretty quiet and I'm not one to just run over and knock on the cabintop. Let me know if you ever need an extra set of hands though, happy to help if I can!

#651 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

dammit!

Eric is a good dude to have around, and an even better one to have on a boat! Learning from him is an honor...unfortunately I'm at the front and he's typically in the back, so I have to really try and put my listening ears on:) .

Saw the boat on Sunday over there on D, but it looked pretty quiet and I'm not one to just run over and knock on the cabintop. Let me know if you ever need an extra set of hands though, happy to help if I can!

Thanks man. I really appreciate it :)

I will be there Fri night to Sunday. I HAVE to wrap up this electrical/electronics stuff. Everything else has kept taking priority over getting the electrons flowing. How good are you at scooting up a mast? :D

#652 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

dammit!

I will be there Fri night to Sunday. I HAVE to wrap up this electrical/electronics stuff. Everything else has kept taking priority over getting the electrons flowing. How good are you at scooting up a mast? :D

What time are you getting into town Friday? We are racing to Two Harbors Saturday, spending the night and racing back on Sunday, but could help out Friday night or Saturday morning, or if push comes to shove and you are sticking around until later Sunday we could help then. I don't have a problem heading up the mast, as long as I know what to do once I'm up there. :)

I'm heading to the marina tonight and will hopefully have some more info regarding the race this weekend. I'll PM you some details once I know more!

#653 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

dammit!

What time are you getting into town Friday? We are racing to Two Harbors Saturday, spending the night and racing back on Sunday, but could help out Friday night or Saturday morning, or if push comes to shove and you are sticking around until later Sunday we could help then. I don't have a problem heading up the mast, as long as I know what to do once I'm up there. :)

I'm heading to the marina tonight and will hopefully have some more info regarding the race this weekend. I'll PM you some details once I know more!

That's freakin' awesome dude! I'll be there Fri night late, so I'll be working right away sat. a.m. B)

#654 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

dammit!

That's freakin' awesome dude! I'll be there Fri night late, so I'll be working right away sat. a.m. B)

Sons,

You're in for an awesome surprise when you meet britches. Just sayin'

#655 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Sons,

You're in for an awesome surprise when you meet britches. Just sayin'

well now, that'll make two of us :D

#656 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

wow. The power of community! Britches shimmied up the mast and after about 15 minutes fixed my screw up. Then they boarded a beautiful Olson 40 sled for a race to Two Harbors and back. That boat is amazing!

Wow. Just freakin awesome.

Thanks tons Britches :)

#657 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

ok...

for the past two months I kept saying "this is the weekend I get my electrical/electronics done" but something else always got in the way.

Well, I am now about 90% done. The other 10% will be my NMEA 2000 network (Thanks tons to WinchinBritches!).

Here's what the back of the panel looks like.

Attached File  100_9008.JPG   238.61K   31 downloads

1000% better than the previous rat's nest.

and here's where all those neat wires go.

Attached File  100_9012.JPG   192.64K   35 downloads

And no, you can't see what it looks like in those boxes. The only way to ever see what is in those boxes is if a.) you become the owner of this boat or b.) you get me drunk enough to show you.

But don't worry, it all works! (I still need to come up with a mounting scheme for these things.

The new sound system KICKS ASS! It makes pretty much every other piece of audio equipment I own sound like shit. Sorry it's a little blurry. I didn't use the flash.
Attached File  100_9023.JPG   150.99K   27 downloads

This is the control unit and the Sirius unit. I'll be cleaning up that wiring next time.
Attached File  100_9025.JPG   229.31K   28 downloads

I also installed this cool remote (that black stuff will be trimmed away when I get a chance)

Attached File  100_9016.JPG   135.53K   22 downloads

#658 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

and some pics of my battery and charger set up (charge relay not installed yet)

Attached Files

#659 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Congrats on the project. Looks like you're making solid progress.

#660 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

The only disappointment I have is that the remote monitor for the ProMariner charger is pretty weak. I was under the impression this was a real battery monitor. The documentation on the device was pretty sketchy. It's handy in that it tells how much voltage and amps overall, but there's no individual bank monitoring.

Just an excuse to snatch myself a BlueSeas monitor. :)

#661 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

The only disappointment I have is that the remote monitor for the ProMariner charger is pretty weak. I was under the impression this was a real battery monitor. The documentation on the device was pretty sketchy. It's handy in that it tells how much voltage and amps overall, but there's no individual bank monitoring.

Just an excuse to snatch myself a BlueSeas monitor. :)

Sons, I'm a huge fan of BSS stuff too but this is the BM we have on Kestrel and its first class.

http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/39402.html

#662 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

That looks like a nice unit. Can't tell if it works with multiple banks though.

#663 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Tell us why you have multiple banks again? I have a house bank and a starting battery, I monitor the house and the start pretty much takes care of itself.

#664 WinchinBritches

WinchinBritches

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

wow. The power of community! Britches shimmied up the mast and after about 15 minutes fixed my screw up. Then they boarded a beautiful Olson 40 sled for a race to Two Harbors and back. That boat is amazing!

No problem, glad to hear that it worked! I have to say I was a little worried that you would get back to the boat only to find that I hadn't actually fixed the problem and I would be no where to be found. :P

#665 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Tell us why you have multiple banks again? I have a house bank and a starting battery, I monitor the house and the start pretty much takes care of itself.

yeah, same here.

But more than once many moons ago when I was young(er), we killed batteries - both banks. Or rather, assumed they were killed (it was actually dirty terminals).

Back then, we had 1-2-both switch and the thing had been left on both while we swam for hours listening to tunes and running the ice box. Sure, I've eliminated that by getting rid of that stupid switch and keeping the banks isolated but no way I want to relive the horror of womenfolk panic so I want to know what's happening to my batteries ever second we're on the boat.

No problem, glad to hear that it worked! I have to say I was a little worried that you would get back to the boat only to find that I hadn't actually fixed the problem and I would be no where to be found. :P

haha...yeah, and considering the winds you had Sunday, you wouldn't have been back until September.

#666 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Exactly. If you ever manage to drain your start, you just combine (thats the only time I ever would) and start with the house. It really the one battery that I never think about.

But to answer your question, this unit tracks amps and voltage on the house bank (showing consumption rate and time left), and voltage on the start.

#667 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Well that makes sense. It's just that getting kicked in the nuts a few times you tend to get a little flinchy so I was looking for extra protection.

And I suppose combined with the battery charge monitor I should have a pretty good idea of the charging state.

Thanks for the tip!

#668 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well that makes sense. It's just that getting kicked in the nuts a few times you tend to get a little flinchy so I was looking for extra protection.

And I suppose combined with the battery charge monitor I should have a pretty good idea of the charging state.

right-o.

Do you have a ACR on Soņadora? We have a Blue Sea model http://bluesea.com/category/2 on Kestrel and its great. It combines the batteries when one or more of them is being charged, otherwise it disconnects. No need to manage the 1+2 mode manualy to charge when under power, it does it for you.

#669 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

right-o.

Do you have a ACR on Soņadora? We have a Blue Sea model http://bluesea.com/category/2 on Kestrel and its great. It combines the batteries when one or more of them is being charged, otherwise it disconnects. No need to manage the 1+2 mode manualy to charge when under power, it does it for you.

yeah, I have ACR, but it's not hooked up at the moment. The charger I installed (ProNautic 1215 - yeah, 15 amps is wimpy but it's enough for us) can do 3 banks. So I only need the ACR when running the engine for long periods of time which I won't be doing any time soon so that will be waiting for me in spring :)

And just as a recap, here's what my wiring used to look like (these images are also earlier in the thread).

wiring panel

Attached File  100_8457.jpg   157.29K   8 downloads

wiring 'closet'

Attached File  100_8460.jpg   137.72K   8 downloads

#670 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Not getting to the boat this weekend, so figured I'd do some virtual stuff.

This is the schematic as Soñadora is wired. The schematic is about 90% complete. I'm missing instruments and the stereo.

This was done in SolidWorks.

Posted Image

#671 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Just had a Baba 30 come in with a wood stick that suffered compression collapse from rot in the base. Not sure if I'm even gonna bid on this mess.

#672 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Just had a Baba 30 come in with a wood stick that suffered compression collapse from rot in the base. Not sure if I'm even gonna bid on this mess.

ouch

it's funny. Every time someone sees my Baba (who has seen one before) comments that, "never seen one without a wooden mast". I reply with, "I've seen a dozen or so and I've only seen one with a wooden mast. How many have you seen?"

"Including yours, two" :rolleyes:

Best bet is to ditch that stick and get them into an aluminum one.

#673 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

and if anyone's interested, here's my latest schematic:

http://sail2live.com...s/schematic.PDF

#674 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Rick:
I don't know squat about electrical schematics but your's sure looks like nice work. But you are pretty consistant in that area.

#675 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

I now understand why you have cats :unsure:

#676 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Damn that's awesome!

Questions:

Think you're one lead short to the motor; starter or alternator... :-)

Do you run you AC battery charger leads directly to the batteries? IIRC the AYBC now recommends going to the unswitched battery terminals on the switch..

#677 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Bob. You can't tell from that, but it is a 3D model. All of those components are 3D components.

JD

The hot going to the engine is a harness, it includes the factory alternator wiring. I'm not like these folks who spend all their hard earned brain cells on alternator charging. I checked the factory alternator specs/wiring and for my purposes, it works fine. The only thing I need to do is set up my ACR so I can charge both banks from the alt. As it is now, I'm only charging the starting bank. Besides, I'd rather save my brain cells for drinkin'.

Interesting about the ABYC recommendation. That's probably to prevent arcing and blowing up all that hydrogen gas that builds up over the batteries. I'm wired directly to the batteries as recommended by the battery charger manufacturer. The charger has always been set up that way. Hasn't blown up yet. Of course, it's been several weeks since I've been there, but I hope the guys at Barker's Island would at least call or send an e-mail if my boat did explode.

Unlike the guys at Hansen's who wouldn't say a thing.

#678 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Until they sent you the bill for the clean-up. ;-)

Yea I saw your ACR wires were not on the diagram, but I remembered that you hadn't run them yet.

It's a great thing to totally understand your wiring. I'm amazed by the number of people we run into far out on the lake that don't have a clue to how their boat really works.

#679 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yea I saw your ACR wires were not on the diagram, but I remembered that you hadn't run them yet.

It's a great thing to totally understand your wiring. I'm amazed by the number of people we run into far out on the lake that don't have a clue to how their boat really works.

haha..yeah

I tell ya, this whole refit has been one of the coolest things I've done. I've always been an electrical/electronics geek and the electrical part was the most fun. I didn't even have to use an oscillascope. ;)

#680 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Last year, there was much wailing on the dock at our annual rendezvous when someone in a non-C&C couldn't start their engine; one wire had draped itself across his engine, worn through and shorted, and melted a bunch of his wiring harness. He was a little concerned when I ripped out about 20 feet of buggered harness, including five connectors, and replaced it with whatever I could come up with from donations from other boats' stock of spares. Took a couple of hours, but at the end of it not only did his engine start but gauges that had never worked on his boat came to life. I got a bottle of Glenfiddich out of the deal, and he had his engine rewired by a pro who replaced my jury-rig with a neater version of same. A little bit of basic knowledge can be a valuable thing when you're miles away from help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users