5375 replies to this topic

#3201 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yes, the location of the Wave Organ would be a fine lace to watch, but I'm betting you'll have to know someone to get out there.

#3202 fogmachine

fogmachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Stirring things up from the poop deck.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

The Wave Organ area is open park land, though I wouldn't be surprised if the GGYC blocks it off. Was there for last summer's Blue Angels practice day.

#3203 CarbonComposite

CarbonComposite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Parking is a bear though.

#3204 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

The end of the spit passed the GGYC will be a fine place to watch from, and for photos (if not on the water) a long lens the path on the hill between Ft Mason and Aquatic Park has been good for the Blue Angels.

Absolutely, unless ACEA has got control of it to keep the riff raff out and charge!

#3205 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

There will be a way to walk out there.

#3206 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Took these shots of Pier 80 on Thursday. USA 17 has been moved from the rear of the shed to the front lot (first picture). The old dry dock has been removed (don't know how that thing was still floating!). USA 17 is on the left, moorings for the 43's are the small orange dots in the foreground (second shot). Wonder when the 72 will splash?

Attached Files

#3207 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

Watching the Dirty Harry movies on AMC while waiting on the ETNZ launch it is interesting to see the various locations of the AC in the movies. Marina Green in the first one, the piers now in 'The Enforcer'.

What was the aircraft carrier in 'Magnum Force'.

#3208 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Took these shots of Pier 80 on Thursday. USA 17 has been moved from the rear of the shed to the front lot (first picture). The old dry dock has been removed (don't know how that thing was still floating!). USA 17 is on the left, moorings for the 43's are the small orange dots in the foreground (second shot). Wonder when the 72 will splash?

last time i checked, they said august sometime.

#3209 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Watching the Dirty Harry movies on AMC while waiting on the ETNZ launch it is interesting to see the various locations of the AC in the movies. Marina Green in the first one, the piers now in 'The Enforcer'.

http://wiki.answers...._Naval_Shipyard

#3210 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

From Latitude 38:

In other AC 34 news, we'll remind you that longtime A-Cup insider Tom Ehman, currently Vice Commodore of the Golden Gate YC, will give a talk Wednesday at the Corinthian YC titled: "AC34 Cupdate: The World Sets Sail for San Francisco." If you're an A-Cup aficionado you won't want to miss it:

Again, it's this Wednesday, July 25th. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for the no-host bar, with the presentation at 7 p.m. And it's free! Online RSVP requested or call 415-435-4771.

I can't imagine they'll learn anything there they couldn't learn here Posted Image

#3211 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

http://wiki.answers...._Naval_Shipyard

OK thanks. I guess I could have done a search but it is more fun to hear it from the locals, with maybe something extra thrown in that is not always public info. :)

#3212 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

Scott Ferguson, intimately involved in the USA 17 and Ac 45 wing designs, and the OR AC 72 wing design is currently leading the Laser Masters North American championships regatta hosted by RYC on the SF Bay.

In speaking to some of the competitors, they said he is really an unbelievable competitor given his age.

It remains to be seen if he can hang on and win the event.

Results

#3213 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Not only a great competitor, but great person. I met him last year when doing PR for the Laser event for the St. FYC. Last night, I hear he invited the racers to Pier 80 this morning and in exchange the RC of RYC postponed the start 30 minutes to make it possible for those interested. Pretty cool.

Speaking of those results, check out Al Clark, who's drop is a bullet in the radials. He's starting 5 minutes behind the full rigs and catching up to them in every race! And another totally affable guy. Great fleet.

#3214 LivinIt

LivinIt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

With 129 pages to review for this thread and my search feature not turning up anything, I wanted to address this question and hope to receive a positive answer. I am in tune with this event and very excited to attend. As a fellow racer and instructor of sailing I do not believe my status will afford me any luxuries in the SF area come AC time. I am have been calling around to various agencies about the rental of a boat or passage aboard a boat to view the AC from the water. Its something I very much want to see up close and personal as I am sure the rest of you do. In my research I have discovered most companies in the Bay Area seem to be doubling there rates for this event to maximize their profit. No big surprise there I suppose, but it keeps me out of the game. As a single father and college student at U of O I cannot, for the life of me, fathom how I will pay such fees to view this event first hand. I do not want to believe that such a thing is achievable just to the wealthy. I am sure I won't have another opportunity for another 40 years as traveling to distant lands for such things produces mind boggling expenses. If this has been addressed previously, I apologize. Just wanted to maximize my experience there. I am open to suggestions from people in the Bay Area about this or anyone else for that matter who is tackling this issue. Thank you in advance for the input.

#3215 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

Viewing ACSF in Sep '13 will be free from a distance, and free on TV where in many ways the best viewing will be anyway.

Viewing the AC races from a VIP spectator yacht inside that restricted area will be intensly expensive. I don't even dream about it, it will be truly funny-money territory - corporate level unless you're a $B yourself.

#3216 CT>

CT>

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

With 129 pages to review for this thread and my search feature not turning up anything, I wanted to address this question and hope to receive a positive answer. I am in tune with this event and very excited to attend. As a fellow racer and instructor of sailing I do not believe my status will afford me any luxuries in the SF area come AC time. I am have been calling around to various agencies about the rental of a boat or passage aboard a boat to view the AC from the water. Its something I very much want to see up close and personal as I am sure the rest of you do. In my research I have discovered most companies in the Bay Area seem to be doubling there rates for this event to maximize their profit. No big surprise there I suppose, but it keeps me out of the game. As a single father and college student at U of O I cannot, for the life of me, fathom how I will pay such fees to view this event first hand. I do not want to believe that such a thing is achievable just to the wealthy. I am sure I won't have another opportunity for another 40 years as traveling to distant lands for such things produces mind boggling expenses. If this has been addressed previously, I apologize. Just wanted to maximize my experience there. I am open to suggestions from people in the Bay Area about this or anyone else for that matter who is tackling this issue. Thank you in advance for the input.

LivinIt,

The races are going to be so close to shore that it could be argued that the best vantage points will be from land, for free. Fort Mason, with elevated views, or Aquatic Park with a jetty that extends within meters of the racing boundary are on my list of best places to watch.

For getting really close to the boats, Pier 30/32 should offer good views of the boats getting hauled in/out as well as "pit crew" operations. Pier 29 will have an array of interactive stuff, big screens, and merchandise.

Either find some friends to get out on the water, but don't bother chartering a boat. Its completely unnecessary at this venue.

#3217 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

LivinIt,

The races are going to be so close to shore that it could be argued that the best vantage points will be from land, for free. Fort Mason, with elevated views, or Aquatic Park with a jetty that extends within meters of the racing boundary are on my list of best places to watch.

For getting really close to the boats, Pier 30/32 should offer good views of the boats getting hauled in/out as well as "pit crew" operations. Pier 29 will have an array of interactive stuff, big screens, and merchandise.

Either find some friends to get out on the water, but don't bother chartering a boat. Its completely unnecessary at this venue.

my guess is there will be little worthwhile that is actually free for this event. but going on the water is completely unnecessary and probably will be a very limited view anyway. go find a spot to see the boats up close and personal at some point, not even necessarily during the race, watching on NBC will be the best bet, then afterwards find the bars where the cool sailors are hanging out, which for sure won't be inside anything ACEA is selling only a dork would pay ACEA some sort of entry fee to a bar for post race fun. this site will have sorted out the real places to be.

#3218 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

I don't think there will be anything at pier 30-32 for the August ACWS event. It looks to me like everything will be at Marina Green.

#3219 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

me and my dad might go over in 2013, any ideas when would be the best time? http://www.cupinfo.c...edule-11054.php

#3220 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Lexus announcement
http://media.america...eleases/?id=843

#3221 LivinIt

LivinIt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

LivinIt,

my guess is there will be little worthwhile that is actually free for this event. but going on the water is completely unnecessary and probably will be a very limited view anyway. go find a spot to see the boats up close and personal at some point, not even necessarily during the race, watching on NBC will be the best bet, then afterwards find the bars where the cool sailors are hanging out, which for sure won't be inside anything ACEA is selling only a dork would pay ACEA some sort of entry fee to a bar for post race fun. this site will have sorted out the real places to be.

I kinda figured that as well Sunseeker, about very little being free. These kinds of events, on any sport, seem to charge for every little thing you can think of. I think the carnies that run fairs have expanded and are teaching classes on how to exploit the populations of the world for such events. I did not know they were going to run so close to shore as to have a first hand view or account of what is happeneing. I have not seen an AC cup on TV over the years that had that occur. So perhaps this is why I am skeptical. I read what you are telling me, but I am still suspicious of this "free" word being used. I shall look into the locations suggested thus far and plan accordingly and continue to moniter the forums. Thank you for the advice, truly!

Someone needs to meet me for a beer when I get there. I don't get the opportunity to meet up with fellow Anarchists from other locations very often. In fact, I think SA should sponsor a tent/beer/rum garden for this! There would probably be a significant amount of arrests and disorderly conduct scenerios as well sneeking into SFYC to "borrow" a boat and settle a bet being made. Just speculating....

#3222 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Nice color ink for JS
http://www.sfgate.co...p#photo-3248234

#3223 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Related to the Lexus piece,

... Cup sponsorships have lagged this year. But last month America’s Cup executives said that a number of deals were in the pipeline.
Other pending deals involve an investment firm and medical/insurance company, Cup organizers said. Other sources said a deal with an airline also is possible.
Big sponsors are important to the America’s Cup because the event won’t get ticket revenue; fans can watch the races for free from shore.
The highest-profile sponsors for the America’s Cup include luxury goods maker Louis Vuitton, clothier Puma and champagne seller Moet & Chandon.
America’s Cup finances are under close scrutiny from Oracle Corp. CEO Larry Ellison, owner of America’s Cup-holder Oracle Team USA. Ellison is fronting much of the cost of the 2013 America’s Cup, so sponsorships would essentially repay his outlay.
http://www.bizjourna...ericas-cup.html

#3224 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

Nice color ink for JS
http://www.sfgate.co...p#photo-3248234

Classic quote;

"When you grow up with red hair, you don't get much of a choice," he said. "You either become a punching bag or you say enough is enough and you start fighting back."

Reminds me of Red, in Seabiscuit, a classic film.

#3225 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

At least two AC45s out on the water right now (St Francis Cam), one Oracle branded, the other Red Bull branded. 22kts wind.

#3226 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

We could see quite a fleet out there starting soon, I'm guessing LR's crews will be next to try.

#3227 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

We could see quite a fleet out there starting soon, I'm guessing LR's crews will be next to try.

LRs support tenders still in Alameda collecting dirt and bird sh # t.

#3228 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Angel Island would give you a top down view and the 72's are big enough you cant miss them. Chrissy Field you'll be close enough to hear the crew yelling at each other to tack before they mess up someone's beach party in a big way.

The speeds the 45's are doing around the bay - unless your blasting around in a go fast power boat your not going to see much beyond them sailing by you.

#3229 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

Angel Island would give you a top down view and the 72's are big enough you cant miss them. Chrissy Field you'll be close enough to hear the crew yelling at each other to tack before they mess up someone's beach party in a big way.

The speeds the 45's are doing around the bay - unless your blasting around in a go fast power boat your not going to see much beyond them sailing by you.

I'd think spectator traffic would prevent tracking the boats on the water.

I still maintain that aside from a bar stool Alcatraz is one of the best viewing spots overlooking the entire course - bring a stool, some binos and and dress in layers.

I believe the plan also calls for some pay bleacher seats in a prime location of Crissy field which should garner you some up front action.

#3230 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

Can you go out on that breakwater at Aquatic Park? That seems like it would be a great spot, too.

#3231 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

I'd think spectator traffic would prevent tracking the boats on the water.

I still maintain that aside from a bar stool Alcatraz is one of the best viewing spots overlooking the entire course - bring a stool, some binos and and dress in layers.

I believe the plan also calls for some pay bleacher seats in a prime location of Crissy field which should garner you some up front action.

Sage advice!

Whenever you go, assuming it is for several days, check out shoreside locales for the first couple of days. That should cure you of any need to get on the water.

Before you get to San Francisco go to your local used camera store and spend a few of your spectator boat bucks on a well-worn pair of 8x50 binoculars.

#3232 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

San Diego was great for (1) being able to watch on a giant screen along with a few hundred other enthralled people in a beer/wine garden, and (2) for being able to turn and see them just 100m away when they came that close.

The ppv seating was good to do, but once was enough. TV really is where it rocks.

#3233 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

San Diego was great for (1) being able to watch on a giant screen along with a few hundred other enthralled people in a beer/wine garden, and (2) for being able to turn and see them just 100m away when they came that close.

The ppv seating was good to do, but once was enough. TV really is where it rocks.

In Newport I was shoreside Friday, and on the water Saturday in a Privileged flagged boat, directly behind the starting line.

I've been on the water in other AC's, on privileged flagged boats, and while always a nice experience, the way this is being laid out, shoreside is the place to be.

Besides, in SFO when on the water you'll be dressed like you are going skiing.

Looking forward to seeing EaglesPDX showing up in his Whaler with his iPad(s?) on his console.

#3234 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

^ EaglesPDX should be easy to spot out there, Virtual 3D glasses and all :)

#3235 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

^ EaglesPDX should be easy to spot out there, Virtual 3D glasses and all :)

Actually, he'll probably be a hologram, zipping from mark to mark so he doesn't miss any of the action. Makes me wonder if ACEA has any restrictions on hologram access to the course.

#3236 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

I would say if you can get out on the water at least once, go for it, just for the atmosphere. I was lucky enough in 2000 to get out on one of the two LV RC boats several times. My wife spent 3 months out on the course on the RC boat as Start Timer.

Being on the start line was a great place to be. What you didn't get from television, video or from the shore was the immense power of the boats. The sound of carbon fibre groaning as the loads went on and the pistol cracks of the sheets as they tacked was something else. You also didn't get the jokes and banter that went on between the yachts and the RC up until start entry time. cayard was particularly chatty on the VHF.

I did take my own boat out a few times in 2000 and 2003 but I couldn't be bothered jostling with the idiots out there or having arguments with officious course marshalls.

As far as pricing of charter/spectator boats goes, if Auckland was anything to go by the prices will start high but eventually fall to a price the market could sustain.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry with a boat in survey thought they could make a killing taking spectators out. The prices dropped and some of the boats just stopped advertising. Prices for the LV and AC finals were the only ones that were up there.

#3237 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

what would be better to see, LV trophy or the cup final?

#3238 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

^ I would choose LV for several reasons but primarily because you'd see more teams and boats.

#3239 dumper

dumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

^ I would choose LV for several reasons but primarily because you'd see more teams and boats.

Cool thanks

#3240 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Attached File  Trim Clinic at the Rock!.jpg   39.48K   21 downloads
The LV will be held in July and August while the AC will be in September. I'm more concerned about windless, warm days for the AC than layering up for the cold. Not the disaster for the Cats it would be with Mono hulls, but it would be disappointing.

I took this (B&W) shot from the Wave Organ (Golden Gate YC) during the Oracle - Alingi challenge (forget the year, 06?). The boats came so close that I have another shot where you can see Alingi's entire cockpit during a tack, right down to the crew's feet (don't have it scanned, or I would post it)! It's going to be great wherever you are. I'll watch some races from shore, and some from my boat, catching the replay and commentary later on You Tube. So many options....life is good!

In Newport I was shoreside Friday, and on the water Saturday in a Privileged flagged boat, directly behind the starting line.

I've been on the water in other AC's, on privileged flagged boats, and while always a nice experience, the way this is being laid out, shoreside is the place to be.

Besides, in SFO when on the water you'll be dressed like you are going skiing.

Looking forward to seeing EaglesPDX showing up in his Whaler with his iPad(s?) on his console.

#3241 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Sorry to say but I won't be missing these slugs.

#3242 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Beautiful graceful sailing!

#3243 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

ughhhh

#3244 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

That's cool, I agree, but for racing, nope.

#3245 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

That's cool, I agree, but for racing, nope.

There's racing, as in drag-racing, and then there's Match-Racing, as in mono 'a mono. No comparison.

#3246 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

I'm more concerned about windless, warm days for the AC than layering up for the cold. Not the disaster for the Cats it would be with Mono hulls, but it would be disappointing.

I don't think there is a windless day with these cats. I'm a light air nerd anyway, http://forums.sailin...8&hl=dixon&st=0, but three to five will get these boats moving very fast around the course.

Koukel

#3247 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

from
http://www.americasc...days-of-racing/

With the passing of the challenge deadline at midnight on August 1, the team line-up for the Louis Vuitton Cup is set. The challenging teams for the 34th America’s Cup are a formidable foursome and collectively as strong a group as any Defender has faced since the beginning of the multi-challenger era of the Cup in 1970.

Artemis Racing (SWE), Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL), Luna Rossa Challenge (ITA) and Team Korea (KOR) will battle each other in the Louis Vuitton Cup, the America’s Cup Challenger Series, for the right to face ORACLE TEAM USA in the America’s Cup Finals.

“The four challengers who will take on the 34th America’s Cup are an imposing group,” said Regatta Director Iain Murray. “They are talented, they know how to win, and they will be a threat to the defender.”

#3248 Alpina

Alpina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

In 2013, there will be two races per day, with nine victories required to win the America's Cup.

A potential 17 races to win the AC in case of a 9-8, holy shit. What was the time limit per race? 40m?
That's about 2-2.5hrs per day including buildup, prestart, race 1 and then buildup, prestart, race 2.

In parallel to the challenger series, ORACLE TEAM USA will hold Defender Trials to strengthen its bid to defend the Cup. Jimmy Spithill, the skipper of ORACLE TEAM USA when it won the Cup in 2010, will helm one of the boats, while Ben Ainslie, multiple Olympic Gold Medalist from the UK will helm the other. They will go head to head on the same racetrack and on the same days as the Louis Vuitton Cup challengers.

Ladies and gentlemen, fire up your Excel sheets and a nice timing app on the iPhone for leg timings, we have performance comparisons to be made!

#3249 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

Didn't see a time limit in that announcement but yes, that must be about right.

Two races per day (but taking about as much TV time overall as some earlier ACxx races); definitely a big change from what we'd heard before but I kinda like it.

For one, it evens out the chance-factors better than race-to-five.

#3250 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thats why I said it wouldn't be a disaster. However, I'd much rather see them flying a hull!

The event will need as much excitement as it can get to generate interest. I've gone to several Yacht Clubs to watch the AC World Series. Not only did they not know it was happening, they didn't even have the Comcast channel to watch it! I asked a Commodore about it during a YC open house and he actually said, "Well....we are kind of into baseball right now". I laughed and said: "I AM in a yacht club aren't I ?". If yacht clubs don't give a shit, how is the general public supposed to care?!

I'm more concerned about windless, warm days for the AC than layering up for the cold. Not the disaster for the Cats it would be with Mono hulls, but it would be disappointing.

I don't think there is a windless day with these cats. I'm a light air nerd anyway, http://forums.sailin...8&hl=dixon&st=0, but three to five will get these boats moving very fast around the course.

Koukel

#3251 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

At the AC presentation at the Corinthian, they were saying the length of the race is dictated by TV (NBC). They specify a time and the marks (AC power boats) alter the course based on real time conditions to accommodate it! They said you could pull up to a dock in one of these (I think he said 45') boats, instruct it to maintain it's position, step off and tie up at your leisure!

Didn't see a time limit in that announcement but yes, that must be about right.

Two races per day (but taking about as much TV time overall as some earlier ACxx races); definitely a big change from what we'd heard before but I kinda like it.

For one, it evens out the chance-factors better than race-to-five.

#3252 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

At the AC presentation at the Corinthian, they were saying the length of the race is dictated by TV (NBC). They specify a time and the marks (AC Boats) alter the course based on real time conditions to accommodate it!

Yes, they have been doing that in the ACWS already to get the times accurate - with pretty good success for the top finishing boats anyway.

If Alpina's guesstimate here is close, and it probably is, then they may be counting on a lot of TV air time for the AC itself. One race per day, and a race to five, would have been a lot less given that each race would likely still have been only 40 minutes - to fit a TV hour, but also because the sailors would be beat to death if each one went any longer. Hopefully they will get at least twenty minutes to recover in between.

In 2013, there will be two races per day, with nine victories required to win the America's Cup.

A potential 17 races to win the AC in case of a 9-8, holy shit. What was the time limit per race? 40m?
That's about 2-2.5hrs per day including buildup, prestart, race 1 and then buildup, prestart, race 2.

#3253 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thats why I said it wouldn't be a disaster. However, I'd much rather see them flying a hull!

Ha! Yacht clubs are good for hoists and sometimes bars. Also LBYC has a very nice continental breakfast, I hear. I've blabbed on about this story before, but I saw the first winged USA sail in San Diego and it flew a hull in the lightest of zephyrs on glass as they flashed by the crowd. Conceivably, one of the new ones could get a hull out of the water with 0 knots of wind and a half decent current.

I think I've won half a dozen races in the really, really light, so I have fond memories.

Koukel

#3254 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

Another fun L'Hydroptere entry by KL
http://blueplanettimes.com/?p=9481

#3255 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

FROM SF GATE...

http://blog.sfgate.c...-in-s-f/#6679-5

A not so fun peice on the dwindling teams of the LVC...

"It's going to be a hellava lot smaller"

#3256 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Tweeted by AC

Posted Image

AC Village Map, Aug 21-26

#3257 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thats depressing! Worse yet - Where did they come up with "72' tall sailboats" The 72's will be around 130 off the water http://www.cupinfo.c...s-ac72-ac45.php

FROM SF GATE...

A not so fun piece on the dwindling teams of the LVC...

#3258 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

You may enjoy racing in light air, but I don't think the public (or most weekend sailors for that matter) will appreciate the nuances. I think Ellison (who does appreciate the nuances) wisely went to multi hulls for one reason - to make sailing an exciting spectator sport. Light air ain't gonna do it, and a Northerly won't be much better! Pray for West wind Sept 2013!

Ha! Yacht clubs are good for hoists and sometimes bars. Also LBYC has a very nice continental breakfast, I hear. I've blabbed on about this story before, but I saw the first winged USA sail in San Diego and it flew a hull in the lightest of zephyrs on glass as they flashed by the crowd. Conceivably, one of the new ones could get a hull out of the water with 0 knots of wind and a half decent current.

I think I've won half a dozen races in the really, really light, so I have fond memories.

Koukel

#3259 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

One change, one correction: http://noticeboard.a...dment-No.16.pdf http://noticeboard.a...dments-1-16.pdf

- We now have a new TLA (actually a SLA) LVC,ACCS

"Louis Vuitton Cup, America's Cup Challenger Series"

- The reference to results in the 2013 ACWS was a typo after all.

AGREED
1. Article 1 (h)

Existing language
"America's Cup Challenger Series ("ACCS") means the series of
races referred to in Article 25."

Be amended to:
"America's Cup Challenger Series ("ACCS" or "Louis Vuitton
Cup, America's Cup Challenger Series") means the series of races
referred to in Article 25, which shall be referred to by all Officials
and Competitors as the "Louis Vuitton Cup, America's Cup
Challenger Series", including in any official communications."

2. Article 22.7

Existing language
"The Regatta Director may at his discretion use the results of the
2013 AC World Series regattas held prior to the Regatta to seed the
ACCS and ACDS."

Be amended to:
"The Regatta Director may at his discretion use the results of the
2012/2013 AC World Series matching racing championship to seed
the Louis Vuitton Cup, America's Cup Challenger Series."

#3260 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

You may enjoy racing in light air, but I don't think the public (or most weekend sailors for that matter) will appreciate the nuances. I think Ellison (who does appreciate the nuances) wisely went to multi hulls for one reason - to make sailing an exciting spectator sport. Light air ain't gonna do it, and a Northerly won't be much better! Pray for West wind Sept 2013!

Right, 30 knots rocks. I think it's awesome that these boats have to be seaworthy, but even more so that they won't put you to sleep if it doesn't blow.

Who could complain about jibing down the course with one hull in the water at ten knots, no matter how little wind? Complainers.

Koukel

#3261 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

One change, one correction: http://noticeboard.a...dment-No.16.pdf http://noticeboard.a...dments-1-16.pdf

Well, the two are there individually, do we need a combo?

LVC/ACCS - See LVC, See ACCS?

It can be done...................

#3262 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

FROM SF GATE...

A not so fun peice on the dwindling teams of the LVC...

Interesting to read the posts - most of which are critical....here's one of the best:

"docmancometh
It's funny how these wonks blame things on the economy when the projections were made in the middle of the recession. We've been in it since 2008. Only an idiot would have believed the initial numbers"

#3263 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well, the two are there individually, do we need a combo?

LVC/ACCS - See LVC, See ACCS?

It can be done...................

.....shall be referred to by all Officials and Competitors as the "Louis Vuitton Cup, America's Cup Challenger Series", including in any official communications."

better get use to this mouthful I guess

#3264 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

^ good grief! glad we aren't 'official'!

#3265 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:58 AM

--
Enlarge Image

Photo by America's Cup Event Authority

Sponsored Links
Planning for Retirement?
$500,000 portfolio? Download the guide by Forbes Columnist Ken Fisher's firm.
www.FisherInvestments.com
Need a Business Loan?
Unsecured loans & equipment financing for your business. Great rates & A+BBB!
DirectCapital.com/Biz-Financing
Get Listed Here

Eric Young
Reporter- San Francisco Business Times
Email  | Twitter
The Giants are getting a piece of America’s Cup business.
Giants Enterprises, a subsidiary of the baseball team, has been selected by the America’s Cup Event Authority to sell tickets to special viewing areas during races.
One area, called the Deck, will be on the Marina Green during exhibition America’s Cup races Aug. 21-26. Seats in the Deck bleachers, which will be directly across from the race finish line, start at $25 per day.
The tickets can be purchased starting Aug. 9 at americascup.com/tickets. Ticket holders will have access to private food and beverages for purchase and private bathrooms.
Future paid viewing areas during the 2013 America’s Cup races might also be on the Marina Green or elsewhere along San Francisco’s waterfront and on the water as well, said Jens Weiden, a spokesperson for Giants Enterprises.
Race fans can watch the races for free along the waterfront. They do not have to buy tickets to a special seating area.
“We are excited about this new partnership with America’s Cup Event Authority,” said Larry Baer, Giants CEO. Giants Enterprises is the team subsidiary that oversees non-baseball events at AT&T Park. The division books the park for everything from rock concerts to private parties.
Details of the Giants Enterprises deal with the America's Cup were not disclosed.
For complete America’s Cup reporting, visit the San Francisco Business Times’ America’s Cup page: SanFranciscoBusinessTimes.com/AmericasCup.
Eric Young covers law, government and the business of sports for the San Francisco Business Times.
Related links: America's Cup, San Francisco
--
http://www.bizjourna...to-special.html

#3266 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

smoke on the water

Posted Image

#3267 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

Posted Image

$2m - insurance payout by AIG for the fire damage claim on Pier 29

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/08/09/san-francisco-begins-pier-29-reconstruction-after-4-alarm-fire/

"A fire on a pier often means years of ruin and neglect. A prime example is San Francisco’s Pier 48. After a fire there in the 90’s, it took eight years for the insurance company to pay up."

Hmm...someone has the ability to pull stings at AIG too...Sponsorship in kind perhaps ?

#3268 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Happening at Pier 80 so just keeping this thread updated. Is it me or does this thing look a LOT bigger, almost looks the size of it's mama, USA 17 sitting outside the front door!

Posted Image

#3269 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

Read somewhere that Aug 27 was the projected date for first splash with a sail the next day weather permitting.

#3270 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

Happening at Pier 80 so just keeping this thread updated. Is it me or does this thing look a LOT bigger, almost looks the size of it's mama, USA 17 sitting outside the front door!

Posted Image

The wide angle lens is misleading . This will look very small next to 17.

#3271 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Out on the bay yesterday in a typically summer chilly foggy day. Here's some of the latest...

Attached Files

#3272 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

And pretty quiet down at Oracle Racing's factory down at Pier 80. A spectacular yacht Asahi, registration Caymans, was tied up next to the huge shed where the 72 is being built. Crane up and ready, lots of tenders tied up too...

Attached Files

#3273 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

And pretty quiet down at Oracle Racing's factory down at Pier 80. A spectacular yacht Asahi, registration Caymans, was tied up next to the huge shed where the 72 is being built. Crane up and ready, lots of tenders tied up too...

LE owns it, I've seen it in both San Diego and Cabo. Nice.... Think it was at ACWS Newport, as well as Plymouth.

#3274 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

One last one, and I'm a bit embarrased by my pics quality here but it was a gloomy day yesterday, here's a nother of the pier 27 and 29 vlllage under construction for NEXT year...

Attached Files

#3275 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Has this been posted already?

<<San Francisco-Headquartered Brokerage Named Official Investment Firm of the 34th America’s Cup

Charles Schwab today announced a sponsorship of the 34th America’s Cup, becoming the official investment firm for the America’s Cup World Series events in San Francisco and the Louis Vuitton Cup, America’s Cup Challenger Series, and America’s Cup Finals in 2013.

(more)>>

#3276 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Has this been posted already?

<<San Francisco-Headquartered Brokerage Named Official Investment Firm of the 34th America’s Cup

Charles Schwab today announced a sponsorship of the 34th America’s Cup, becoming the official investment firm for the America’s Cup World Series events in San Francisco and the Louis Vuitton Cup, America’s Cup Challenger Series, and America’s Cup Finals in 2013.

(more)>>

Kinda a big deal, I would think. Add to the JP Morgan deal with BA, and wasn't Fidelity a big part of the coverage in Newport?

#3277 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm surprised none of the tech titans have signed up, but they seem to be picking up momentum of recent.

#3278 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'm surprised none of the tech titans have signed up, but they seem to be picking up momentum of recent.

Mark at Facebook is not returning any calls for some reason :)

#3279 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

Mark at Facebook is not returning any calls for some reason :)

Maybe he's actually a Flintstone.

#3280 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

http://www.yachtscor...ies.cfm?eID=691

Bummer, no AC 45s in the Big Boat Series. An SL 33 and a Prosail 40 though.

Would have been cool to see, like the year we had all the AC teams in the BBS in the 1D48's training.

#3281 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

I don't think there will be anything at pier 30-32 for the August ACWS event. It looks to me like everything will be at Marina Green.

I was certainly wrong about that. :unsure:

#3282 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Would have been cool to see, like the year we had all the AC teams in the BBS in the 1D48's training.

Entries aren't closed. AC45 aren't the only extreme boats in the hood :rolleyes:

#3283 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Entries aren't closed. AC45 aren't the only extreme boats in the hood :rolleyes:

Most excellent!

#3284 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Posted Image

Follow Us:
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image
  • Posted Image

Spithill vs. Coutts: Let debate begin

Posted on August 28, 2012 at 9:07 am by SFGate in Oracle Racing

Generally, my media pals and I are good at stirring up quarterback controversy, but we’re missing the boat (heh-heh) on a good one.
Yes, we will continue to foment angry debate over who should quarterback the 49ers and the Raiders, because the two head coaches need our help.
But what about the USA’s Team Oracle boat in next year’s America’s Cup?
Is Jibbin’ Jimmy Spithill really the man we want at the helm of our country’s boat? What about Ragin’ Russell Coutts?
In Sunday’s racing event on San Francisco Bay, a warm-up race for next summer’s Cup, Spithill’s boat won the overall fleet championship, but Coutts’ boat beat Spithill in a match race, after the crafty Coutts used a vicious maneuver to edge ahead of Spithill at the start.
“The old dog’s still got some old tricks,” Coutts barked.
Coutts said it was payback for two days earlier, when Spithill squeezed Coutts’ boat at the start, causing it to collide with a support boat and sink in flames. OK, technically Coutts’ boat simply dropped out for repairs, but it might as well have sunk in flames.
Bad blood? Aye, matey!
One might see this as contrived theater to drum up fan interest for the Cup, which the Oracle folks are trying to sell as a new and edgier brand of yacht racing - NASCAR at sea.
There does seem to be some real animosity between the two U.S. skippers. They sprayed one another with Champagne following the races Sunday, but I thought Spithill was aiming for Coutts’ eyes.
According to The Chronicle’s ace Am-Cup reporter, Commodore Tom FitzGerald, it is already set that Spithill, 33, will skipper the No. 1 U.S. boat next summer. Coutts has four America’s Cup titles on his resume, but FitzGerald says Coutts’ age (50) works against him, especially on the bigger 72-foot-high boats in play next year.
Whoa! We’re going to let Oracle and Larry Ellison simply hand the starting job to this kid Spithill, without some spirited public debate?
Ask Alex Smith and Carson Palmer if that’s the way it works.

#3285 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Follow Us:
Home From the SF Chronicle From the America&rsquo;s Cup Photos Map Teams Schedule SFGate

Vuitton Cup could be a tough sell
Posted on August 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm by Tom FitzGerald in America's Cup World Series
1There&rsquo;s little doubt that the America&rsquo;s Cup finals in September 2013 will be a spectacle. Even casual fans no doubt will be intrigued as current champion Oracle Team USA defends its title against one top challenger on 72-foot catamarans in San Francisco Bay.
What&rsquo;s not so certain is whether the long series of races leading up to that final &ndash; a regatta known as the Louis Vuitton Cup &ndash; will be able to hold people&rsquo;s interest and attract big crowds next summer. As it stands, there are four scheduled competitors &ndash; possibly only three &ndash; who can afford to build the big catamarans it will take to mount a challenge.

Spread over 44 days of racing between July 4 and Sept. 1, 2013, these preliminary contests risk losing their luster, both competitively and financially, especially because San Franciscans won&rsquo;t have a rooting interest until the America&rsquo;s Cup final commences.

The challenger races will need to be highly competitive. Barring a late entry, the challengers are Italy&rsquo;s Luna Rossa Challenge, Sweden&rsquo;s Artemis Racing, Emirates Team Zealand and Team Korea. That&rsquo;s not many boats to sustain nearly two months of racing, and the list might shrink to three if Team Korea can&rsquo;t get its boat built. The team posted its $200,000 entry fee by the Aug. 1 deadline but still has a lot of work left before it can launch its AC72.

If there are only three Vuitton challengers, there will be only two races each day rather than three, regatta director Iain Murray said.

&ldquo;I guess it&rsquo;s going to be intriguing to see how much the (fan) following is on these boats,&rdquo; he said. &ldquo;If one boat is dominating, it&rsquo;s probably going to be tough.&rdquo;

South Korea&rsquo;s inclusion will be crucial, although it&rsquo;s not assured at this point.

&ldquo;They bought the materials and they have their design, but they haven&rsquo;t started construction yet,&rdquo; Murray said. &ldquo;They&rsquo;re getting late.&rdquo;

A Team Korea spokesman said, &ldquo;We are still trying to secure the final funding for the project.&rdquo;

The Asian team&rsquo;s strong, third-place showing on the 45-foot catamarans in the AC World Series, which ended Sunday, might attract sponsors for South Korea&rsquo;s Cup effort.

Meanwhile, the other teams&rsquo; efforts are well under way. Emirates Team New Zealand launched its AC72 in New Zealand earlier this month. The Artemis Racing boat arrived on a container ship a week ago and will be launched probably in October. Luna Rossa is expected to launch in October or November. New Zealand and Artemis later will launch their second boats as backups.

Oracle will launch its first AC72 this week if all the systems are OK. A second boat will be launched in the spring to provide competition for the main boat leading to the final.

In the seven Louis Vuitton Cup regattas that have been held since 1983, there have not been fewer than seven boats. There were 13 in 1987 and 11 each in 2000 and 2007.

Louis Vuitton CEO Yves Carcelle, attending the AC World Series, said he had anticipated more challengers but the global economic crisis got in the way. Nevertheless, he said, &ldquo;We know the level of racing will be really exceptional. At the end of the day, it might be better to have less challengers but better quality.&rdquo;

In the past, he said, there have been challenger series in which the gap between the strongest and the weakest teams was huge. But that doesn&rsquo;t worry him. &ldquo;I&rsquo;m convinced we&rsquo;ll have an incredible spectacle next year,&rdquo; Carcelle said

#3286 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Follow Us:
Home From the SF Chronicle From the America’s Cup Photos Map Teams Schedule SFGate

Vuitton Cup could be a tough sell
Posted on August 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm by Tom FitzGerald in America's Cup World Series
1There’s little doubt that the America’s Cup finals in September 2013 will be a spectacle. Even casual fans no doubt will be intrigued as current champion Oracle Team USA defends its title against one top challenger on 72-foot catamarans in San Francisco Bay.
What’s not so certain is whether the long series of races leading up to that final – a regatta known as the Louis Vuitton Cup – will be able to hold people’s interest and attract big crowds next summer. As it stands, there are four scheduled competitors – possibly only three – who can afford to build the big catamarans it will take to mount a challenge.

Spread over 44 days of racing between July 4 and Sept. 1, 2013, these preliminary contests risk losing their luster, both competitively and financially, especially because San Franciscans won’t have a rooting interest until the America’s Cup final commences.

The challenger races will need to be highly competitive. Barring a late entry, the challengers are Italy’s Luna Rossa Challenge, Sweden’s Artemis Racing, Emirates Team Zealand and Team Korea. That’s not many boats to sustain nearly two months of racing, and the list might shrink to three if Team Korea can’t get its boat built. The team posted its $200,000 entry fee by the Aug. 1 deadline but still has a lot of work left before it can launch its AC72.

If there are only three Vuitton challengers, there will be only two races each day rather than three, regatta director Iain Murray said.

“I guess it’s going to be intriguing to see how much the (fan) following is on these boats,” he said. “If one boat is dominating, it’s probably going to be tough.”

South Korea’s inclusion will be crucial, although it’s not assured at this point.

“They bought the materials and they have their design, but they haven’t started construction yet,” Murray said. “They’re getting late.”

A Team Korea spokesman said, “We are still trying to secure the final funding for the project.”

The Asian team’s strong, third-place showing on the 45-foot catamarans in the AC World Series, which ended Sunday, might attract sponsors for South Korea’s Cup effort.

Meanwhile, the other teams’ efforts are well under way. Emirates Team New Zealand launched its AC72 in New Zealand earlier this month. The Artemis Racing boat arrived on a container ship a week ago and will be launched probably in October. Luna Rossa is expected to launch in October or November. New Zealand and Artemis later will launch their second boats as backups.

Oracle will launch its first AC72 this week if all the systems are OK. A second boat will be launched in the spring to provide competition for the main boat leading to the final.

In the seven Louis Vuitton Cup regattas that have been held since 1983, there have not been fewer than seven boats. There were 13 in 1987 and 11 each in 2000 and 2007.

Louis Vuitton CEO Yves Carcelle, attending the AC World Series, said he had anticipated more challengers but the global economic crisis got in the way. Nevertheless, he said, “We know the level of racing will be really exceptional. At the end of the day, it might be better to have less challengers but better quality.”

In the past, he said, there have been challenger series in which the gap between the strongest and the weakest teams was huge. But that doesn’t worry him. “I’m convinced we’ll have an incredible spectacle next year,” Carcelle said

Do they really think they will be able to keep these boats in one piece for 44 more or less straight days ? It won't take much of a Wing or hull failure to set them on the hard for a number of days . Take Artemis 14 week and counting ongoing wing repair as an example .

#3287 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

A 44-day LVCS does seem a bit excessive at this point. But all of the teams will benefit form time on the water. Why not race?

#3288 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

Politicians call that kicking the can down the road ..

BTW, was Larry anywhere to be seen during the affair?

#3289 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

There was an SFGate article linked in one of these SF threads that mentioned LE did a fly by in his boat (which one?) after the conclusion of racing on Sunday.

#3290 J.A.G.

J.A.G.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

The big blue Perini Navi ketch. It had the Oracle USA flag at the masthead. I didn't realize he was in town, much less on the boat.

#3291 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

"Zenji". It was prominate off the course on Saturday and Sunday.

#3292 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

That all? On his home turf? A bit odd, I'd say

#3293 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Politicians call that kicking the can down the road ..

BTW, was Larry anywhere to be seen during the affair?

Yes - several shots of him viewing from his RIB, and he visited GGYC this weekend and hung out with the crowd for a bit.

#3294 Mal106

Mal106

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, flying, sports cars and grand kids...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

After being in attendance at all of the US events; I believe they've got it right now. Only error was the last day blocking a good portion of the prime viewing area for a silly parachute jump well after the racing. I have watched from shore and from boat (Beneteau 393) and the shore is far superior. I drove the boat one day in Newport and saw almost none of the racing as it took too much concentration, missing the other boats and getting yelled at by the police, the park service and the Coast Guard. It was really nice seeing all the 12's in attendance though. I watched from the bow on another day with a trusted helmsman and it was much better but not near as good as from shore. The difference is 10 times as great in SanFran. Obviously it's difficult to argue that TV/Internet is the best viewing as far as actually knowing what's going on but I certainly prefer to be there.

If you are watching in person, use a VHF tuned to channel 20 for the same commentary seen on UTube which is far better than the TV or loud speaker at the venue (they may have been the same?). The in person commentary was more involved in whipping up the crowd and advertising the event; I didn't like it but I certainly understand and agree with the choice. Ideal would be as some have chided, a tablet with earphone in one ear, listening to the loudspeakers and the boat noise with the other but I'll have to make do with the VHF.

Shame the October event coincides with the Annapolis boat show. It's also about the best sailing month on the Chesapeake so I may miss that one.

#3295 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

After being in attendance at all of the US events; I believe they've got it right now. Only error was the last day blocking a good portion of the prime viewing area for a silly parachute jump well after the racing. I have watched from shore and from boat (Beneteau 393) and the shore is far superior. I drove the boat one day in Newport and saw almost none of the racing as it took too much concentration, missing the other boats and getting yelled at by the police, the park service and the Coast Guard. It was really nice seeing all the 12's in attendance though. I watched from the bow on another day with a trusted helmsman and it was much better but not near as good as from shore. The difference is 10 times as great in SanFran. Obviously it's difficult to argue that TV/Internet is the best viewing as far as actually knowing what's going on but I certainly prefer to be there.

If you are watching in person, use a VHF tuned to channel 20 for the same commentary seen on UTube which is far better than the TV or loud speaker at the venue (they may have been the same?). The in person commentary was more involved in whipping up the crowd and advertising the event; I didn't like it but I certainly understand and agree with the choice. Ideal would be as some have chided, a tablet with earphone in one ear, listening to the loudspeakers and the boat noise with the other but I'll have to make do with the VHF.

Shame the October event coincides with the Annapolis boat show. It's also about the best sailing month on the Chesapeake so I may miss that one.

VHF 20 was Andy Green with Tucker Thompson. They were great.

#3296 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

We had one IACC yacht in attendence.

Attached Files

#3297 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

The big blue Perini Navi ketch. It had the Oracle USA flag at the masthead. I didn't realize he was in town, much less on the boat.

ASAHI, she's gorgeous. been parked down aside Pier 80 for a while. His own private mega yacht dock.

#3298 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

Nothing comes easy in Frisco :)

IF IT AIN'T ONE THING, IT'S ANOTHER
It took an act of Congress for the America's Cup to stage exhibition races
last year. It may take another intervention by lawmakers to ensure good TV
coverage when the main event hits San Francisco waters in 2013.

That's because the planned America's Cup racecourse for 2013 - which sweeps
from the Golden Gate to Piers 27-29 - includes an area where flights are
restricted during Giants games at AT&T Park. Why should airspace matter for
a boat race? Because the America's Cup has helicopters hovering above the
boats at all times for race officials and TV coverage.

Restricted airspace extends about 3 nautical miles from the center of the
ballpark during the baseball season, which, it so happens, overlaps with
the entire Cup race schedule. The FAA restricts flights during baseball
games as a public safety measure.

So - like last year - the federal government likely will have to make
changes to accommodate Cup racing.

Last year Congress passed, and President Barack Obama signed, the America's
Cup Act of 2011. The legislation waived laws that restrict foreign vessels
from operating in U.S. waters. It was needed because, unlike Cups of the
past, this America's Cup is held close to shore, which would have put
foreign boats in technical violation of the Jones Act and the Passenger
Vessel Services Act. Thanks to that change, the America's Cup was able to
hold exhibitions in San Diego.

To deal with the airspace issue, San Francisco may seek an exemption for
Cup-related aircraft, said Daley Dunham, a special projects manager at the
Port of San Francisco. Dunham said he's confident a solution can be
reached. But he has started working on it because, well, this is the
federal government after all. "We've got time," he said, "but we need
time." -- SF Business Times, http://tinyurl.com/SFBJ-090912

#3299 ADCAT

ADCAT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Whirled Peas

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

#3300 ADCAT

ADCAT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Whirled Peas

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

You would be welcome to ride along with us on Adventure Cat for the October Worlds, although the predictably low turnout for the August events might make us downsize our offering. For the record we were charging $100 per person for a 3 hour ride, including snacks and a couple of drinks, by comparison our sunset cruises are $50 per person for 1.5 hours including snacks and beverage. So in our case we didn't double our rates. In any case there wasn't a lot of interest and we lost money that week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users