17 replies to this topic

#1 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

Check out our video from the San Diego Beer Can race 6/1/2011.

Flying Tiger 7.5 Video

(If it runs slow trying turing off the HD in the lower right corner of the video player).

#2 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:14 PM

nice, looks like a fun race....can't imagine those lifelines are legal!!

#3 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:18 AM

Tom,

awesome,

been wondering when the forum was going to be used to keep awareness up and exposure to the 10 and 7.5 happening. Good timing with the J70 drumbeat beginning to sound in the far distance.

#4 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

is the 7.5 selling? haven't heard/seen anything about anything more than a couple in SD...

#5 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

it's a good product but deserves some marketing, appears to have virtually none

#6 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

If the FT fellers would only open their eyes. GS marketing the 7.5 and GP the 10.

It's G world!

#7 TVHSD

TVHSD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

There has been a recent surge of interest in both models and we are increasing our advertising budget.

One issue with these boats from the very inception was that they were priced so low there was little room for support and marketing. I can assure you that Mr. Stevens spent a tidy sum for all his efforts. He lost money on every sale and no amount of volume will ever correct that business formula.

Since taking over, we have tried to keep the sales price down while dedicating more resources to sales and support. I still get enquiries from folks who are shocked that the FT 10 price is not $39,000 as originally envisioned before the first boat was ever delivered almost 6 years ago. Time to refresh your cache people.

We are here for the long run and continue to field all enquiries. The yard remains strong and they have many other manufacturing interests outside the marine industry. It should come as no surprise that buying a boat is a difficult decision for today’s consumer but the fact is that labor and commodity prices have consistently headed up over the last 5 years and buying a new Flying Tiger will be a better economic decision today than tomorrow. Plus, we are not getting any younger are we. We have both the FT 10 and the FT 7.5 available for charter in San Diego. If you fly in for a view and buy a boat I will be happy to refund your expenses. If you are buying a model that is not represented in your area I will make a deep discount as a fleet starter. Those folks with earnest interest in either model will not be disappointed both on performance and price.

Live slow, sail fast. -t

#8 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

so what are the current regular prices?

#9 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

link ?

#10 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

good Question strewn

link ?

#11 TVHSD

TVHSD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

good Question strewn

link ?

Email Flying Tiger Boats

#12 NextExit

NextExit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

Has anyone sailed a FT 7.5 side by side with a Melges 24 and what were the performance differences i.e., upwind/downwind speed and point and in what type of wind strength?

Thanks,
John

#13 TVHSD

TVHSD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

Has anyone sailed a FT 7.5 side by side with a Melges 24 and what were the performance differences i.e., upwind/downwind speed and point and in what type of wind strength?

Thanks,
John

Upwind the FT 7.5 will hang with the M 24 in medium to heavy air conditions if you can hike and have enough weight. Downwind lighter air the M-24 is faster as it breaks loose sooner. Heavy air downwind side by side is unknown but my hunch is it is pretty even with the FT being more stable. Last years SA regatta was probably a good test against a reasonably well sailed M-24 and a very well sailed Shaw 650. FT is heavier, a foot more draft and more SA than the M. The FT feels good with legs in but to climb with a M-24 you have to inflict some pain on your crew.

Class B

#14 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

Wait, so, there are 4 7.5s sailing? I thought it was only 2. That is great.

Thanks,
John

Upwind the FT 7.5 will hang with the M 24 in medium to heavy air conditions if you can hike and have enough weight. Downwind lighter air the M-24 is faster as it breaks loose sooner. Heavy air downwind side by side is unknown but my hunch is it is pretty even with the FT being more stable. Last years SA regatta was probably a good test against a reasonably well sailed M-24 and a very well sailed Shaw 650. FT is heavier, a foot more draft and more SA than the M. The FT feels good with legs in but to climb with a M-24 you have to inflict some pain on your crew.

Class B

#15 André

André

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks,
John

Class B

Is the standard set up 3 or 4 man crew ? How about upwind performance in light air ?

#16 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

When I do a new design I don't "target" any other boat.
My image for the 7.5 came from my experience with the FT10m and while some people think I had a target in that design I assure you I did not. Part of what makes me at least think I am a designer is the fact that I think I can always do it better. I check out the current competition al the time. That's my job. But when I sit down to draw I don't have a specific target boat in mind.

With the 7.5 I was thinking about a boat that would be easier to sail than the M24. I added the chines for initial stability and because at that time I was doing some tank testing up in BC and the guys that ran the tank were sailors and I discussed chines with them and they agreed that chines would be the way to go.

#17 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Class B

Is the standard set up 3 or 4 man crew ? How about upwind performance in light air ?

The boat can be handled by three without much trouble, and downwind in light conditions you would do fine. Upwind a boat with 4 will beat you most the time.

#18 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

When I do a new design I don't "target" any other boat.
My image for the 7.5 came from my experience with the FT10m and while some people think I had a target in that design I assure you I did not. Part of what makes me at least think I am a designer is the fact that I think I can always do it better. I check out the current competition al the time. That's my job. But when I sit down to draw I don't have a specific target boat in mind.

With the 7.5 I was thinking about a boat that would be easier to sail than the M24. I added the chines for initial stability and because at that time I was doing some tank testing up in BC and the guys that ran the tank were sailors and I discussed chines with them and they agreed that chines would be the way to go.

Bob, you rock. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users