14 replies to this topic

#1 Jari

Jari

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

New Nova-sail instruments appeared on their site. No surprise as most of their products were out of stock for months.
Any comment about reliability of nova sail? I remember seeing comments about difficulty to buy it from us distributor
but I'm ok with buying it directly . Shipping is only 20 and no tax . What do think?

#2 NucMed

NucMed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:What?.......

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

Hi, no idea regarding reliability, but it it looks like the NS360+ http://www.nova-sail...uct_ns360 .html lacks the data-logging ability of the Velocitek Prostart http://www.velocitek...ostart/features although the NS360+ has the VMG function that Velocitek removed from their current model.

Additionally, the Nova-Sail instruments have fluxgate compasses whilst the others (apart from the Tacktick range) use GPS. This distinction is important if you're sailing in areas with any sort of current running (fluxgate/magnetic better).

To get the data-logging capability of the Prostart, you would need to move to the Euro 160 more expensive NS360RC (Euro550) http://www.nova-sail...ct_ns360RC.html which they appear to be out of stock of (and have been for a while). This may be a good thing, as it may mean that they are about to produce a newer version of the data-logging model.

RockBox http://www.rockcitym...com/RBplus.html is another alternative (US$649) which has both data-logging and VMG capabilities, although it allegedly eats batteries.

In the final reduction, I guess it depends on how much you value data-logging or whether VMG is more important to you.

Cheers, Peter

New Nova-sail instruments appeared on their site. No surprise as most of their products were out of stock for months.
Any comment about reliability of nova sail? I remember seeing comments about difficulty to buy it from us distributor
but I'm ok with buying it directly . Shipping is only 20 and no tax . What do think?

#3 Jari

Jari

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:53 AM

I think data logging may be for me of secondary importance. I do sail on SF bay and magnetic compass
is a nice feature to have.

#4 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

We just got a NS360 in the PNW. Summertime wednesday nights can see 2 knots of current. This has really shown up how important the real compass is (good) and how bad a GPS speedo is (bad). We can use the speedo a bit downwind but you can't get repeatable speeds from week to week with differing current.

It does do startline functions and stuff, that is cool. We put it on a 32'er with a long boom, the mast is a long ways away and the numbers are only barely big enough.

#5 ref

ref

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:od, some phrf

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

which ever way you go I find it nice to have true boat speed and gps.

#6 angus davis

angus davis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:48 AM

We used Velocitek in the 2011 season, and in 2012 and 2013 we've used the Novasail. We were attracted to the Novasail because of its more compact design, and the electronic compass. Unfortunately the Novasail is just not constructed well at all. It doesn't hold up, and I cannot recommend anyone buy it. We own 3 boats and have used 4 novasail units on them over the last 2 summers in Narragansett Bay, all purchased online from Maui Pro Sailing. 

Some of the problems with the Novasail:

1. The screws used in the housing are not stainless steel. They corrode very quickly. We are on a 30' keelboat, not a dinghy, and we put the stuff away after every day's racing. Even under those ideal conditions, I would estimate you have 20 racing days of use before the corrosion is really apparent. 

2. The battery is held in place by a metal screw-in cap that is constructed out of the same crappy metal as the screws. Here is what it looks like after about 8 weekends (see attached image)

IMG_0620.jpg

3. The electronic brain itself has not held out. This season, after about 12 weekends, we ran into a situation where the speed worked but the heading stopped working entirely. It was stuck basically on a bogus heading setting. Normally if the battery is low, the speed will display "Off" and the electronic compass heading may continue to function. This was like that in reverse - speed worked, but compass heading stuck displaying 58 to 61 degrees regardless of direction. We replaced the battery several times, but never got the heading to work again. I went to swap the failed unit with our other Novasail unit on our other boat and guess what - same failure! 

So now I have 2 bricked novasail units that are basically useless except as expensive GPS speedos.  

Currently we plan to test iRegatta Pro running on an http://www.meetearl.com/  e-ink tablet this fall. We'll see how it goes. I really wish this Novasail thing could work, but right now, it is built so poorly, you have to burn through units every 2 months. I don't want to go back to the Velocitek because it is bulkier and lacks the compass. Argh!

#7 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Great first post Angus, I think we'll waive the requirement for a picture your GF/wife's tits.

#8 jamesw

jamesw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and new gears

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I've had a similar corrosion problem on the battery cap but I got a free warranty exchange of my NS360 Wireless... not a big deal, just an e-mail to apply for warranty. I've been explained that i will receive a new version of the NS360 wireless with a new casing.

It's effectively a totally new casing:

- new stainless screws

- a brand new stainless battery cap

- the front cover is made in ABS instead of aluminum

After 4 months (twice yours already !) with this new version, i'm still on with Novasail...the best features set, the lightest, the magnetic compass, and i think the most accurate distance to line...

Attached Files

#9 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

Sure looks like someone from Novasail trying to post like a customer.....2 posts and from Hong Kong, lol

I've had a similar corrosion problem on the battery cap but I got a free warranty exchange of my NS360 Wireless... not a big deal, just an e-mail to apply for warranty. I've been explained that i will receive a new version of the NS360 wireless with a new casing.

It's effectively a totally new casing:
- new stainless screws
- a brand new stainless battery cap
- the front cover is made in ABS instead of aluminum

After 4 months (twice yours already !) with this new version, i'm still on with Novasail...the best features set, the lightest, the magnetic compass, and i think the most accurate distance to line...

#10 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the water

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

We used Velocitek in the 2011 season, and in 2012 and 2013 we've used the Novasail. We were attracted to the Novasail because of its more compact design, and the electronic compass. Unfortunately the Novasail is just not constructed well at all. It doesn't hold up, and I cannot recommend anyone buy it. We own 3 boats and have used 4 novasail units on them over the last 2 summers in Narragansett Bay, all purchased online from Maui Pro Sailing. 

Some of the problems with the Novasail:

1. The screws used in the housing are not stainless steel. They corrode very quickly. We are on a 30' keelboat, not a dinghy, and we put the stuff away after every day's racing. Even under those ideal conditions, I would estimate you have 20 racing days of use before the corrosion is really apparent. 

2. The battery is held in place by a metal screw-in cap that is constructed out of the same crappy metal as the screws. Here is what it looks like after about 8 weekends (see attached image)

IMG_0620.jpg

3. The electronic brain itself has not held out. This season, after about 12 weekends, we ran into a situation where the speed worked but the heading stopped working entirely. It was stuck basically on a bogus heading setting. Normally if the battery is low, the speed will display "Off" and the electronic compass heading may continue to function. This was like that in reverse - speed worked, but compass heading stuck displaying 58 to 61 degrees regardless of direction. We replaced the battery several times, but never got the heading to work again. I went to swap the failed unit with our other Novasail unit on our other boat and guess what - same failure! 

So now I have 2 bricked novasail units that are basically useless except as expensive GPS speedos.  

Currently we plan to test iRegatta Pro running on an http://www.meetearl.com/  e-ink tablet this fall. We'll see how it goes. I really wish this Novasail thing could work, but right now, it is built so poorly, you have to burn through units every 2 months. I don't want to go back to the Velocitek because it is bulkier and lacks the compass. Argh!

I agree with all of the above, but, have had good back up service from them.....even had a new unit sent to replace faulty box. We sail a keel boat and like the compass and most of the features, but, the numbers are hard to see, even worse at night.
It is hard to program and the wifi link fails sometimes.....we have dedicated a lap top to the programming and a single person to get the data in and out.....we keep the drinks up to them after the race.
Have not had any problems since the new unit, a full summer season......would like bigger numbers so the helm can see. Use iRegatta and like the features, have a small bracket at the helm for my own info.
So, the unit works and the service is good, but needs to be developed further to make it better. I think they to get to work on it....maybe a software up grade.

#11 Calypso

Calypso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'm just about to throw my 360+ in the bin. 

It's just under 2 years old, no corrosion but it has had battery issues where the GPS would turn off after 30mins (yes I used the Alki Batteries). The screen would also flicker.

I opened it up and the screws were a bit loose on the battery case and this helped but now the screen has gone - flickering.

Paid good money for it and it's not a patch on my old SC-1 - I need 2 - Multihull 1 for each side

#12 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:41 AM

Earl looks really impressive. Thank you for the reference.

#13 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

It's just under 2 years old, no corrosion but it has had battery issues where the GPS would turn off after 30mins (yes I used the Alki Batteries). The screen would also flicker.

I opened it up and the screws were a bit loose on the battery case and this helped but now the screen has gone - flickering.

Paid good money for it and it's not a patch on my old SC-1 - I need 2 - Multihull 1 for each side

Have you emailed them.....I have had good service from them.....at least try before you bin it !

#14 Calypso

Calypso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Have you emailed them.....I have had good service from them.....at least try before you bin it !

No, it was out of warranty and I had opened the back up to see if there was anything obvious.
Screw was loose on the neg terminal which I found when I took the white sealant off.
It's a nice compact unit and the light is good ... not sure what to get next to replace it.

#15 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

I would still email them......I am not associated with them in any way, but I think they might help.....

No, it was out of warranty and I had opened the back up to see if there was anything obvious.
Screw was loose on the neg terminal which I found when I took the white sealant off.
It's a nice compact unit and the light is good ... not sure what to get next to replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users