1276 replies to this topic

#101 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

Jackpot above looks like a Ron Holland Nicholson 33 to me? Sold one to Fang back in the day.....

#102 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

Jackpot above looks like a Ron Holland Nicholson 33 to me? Sold one to Fang back in the day.....

No Contention there for sure but I do not think it is a Nic 33; the front part of the coach-roof,on the Nic, was a large flat bevel , they also sported halyard and scondary winches on roof-top.

The transom would rather make me think of a UFO 34 .

Nic 33 pic from back in the day

Attached Files

#103 edboat

edboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

FANG would have loved this thread, RIP.

#104 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Owned Paceship Eastwind 25, then C&C 26 long ago. Love yacht racing and cruising, golf, billiards, yacht photography, one wife, two grown kids, and now am grandfather of three, Hanna and Ava, and a new grandson, Parker. : )

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

Kialoa. 1983 St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race, SORC.

Posted Image

#105 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Kialoa. 1983 St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race, SORC.

Posted Image

Back when Brown Thread Ted still ruled the sailmaking wars. Love those tiny Dacron panels married with the 3/4" thick(!) woven Kevlar ones! Thanks Larry. Happy 4th

#106 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Fang was possibly aboard?

#107 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

No Contention there for sure but I do not think it is a Nic 33; the front part of the coach-roof,on the Nic, was a large flat bevel , they also sported halyard and scondary winches on roof-top.

The transom would rather make me think of a UFO 34 .

Nic 33 pic from back in the day

Yes, I didn't blow the pic up and just looked at the window. The coachroof and bottom of the transom would confirm UFO 34. Still.... good to remind us of Fang.

#108 Robin

Robin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Poultergeist. This main reminded me of the Hancock Building. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dana and the Sobstad loft were building some exotic mains during this period. Poltergeist was also a Beneteau 1-Ton and had some great sailors on the boat. I later purchased the boat from Al Henning and renamed it Toscana (it was the third of the Toscana's). Al did a couple of seasons with me. But nothing matched the racing that they had when there were 7-15 one tons actively racing in the Chicago Area.

Robin

#109 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Owned Paceship Eastwind 25, then C&C 26 long ago. Love yacht racing and cruising, golf, billiards, yacht photography, one wife, two grown kids, and now am grandfather of three, Hanna and Ava, and a new grandson, Parker. : )

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Poultergeist. Al Henning, Columbia YC Commodore. Beneteau 1-Ton. Al later moved to Racine YC.

Posted Image

#110 Fritz

Fritz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

Larry Thanks for the pics of Poltergeist and Joel. I was the middle man in the stack. We are takeing Joel home to Greys Reef during the 2011 Mac, on my boat Hasten

#111 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Quick Willy!

Posted Image

#112 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Quick Willy!

Posted Image

I wondered when the mighty Quick Willy would make an appearance. (JoeO will be ecstatic) He can explain why the Quick Willy had the custom hatch on the doghouse installed.

#113 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

Quick Willy!

Posted Image

I wondered when the mighty Quick Willy would make an appearance. (JoeO will be ecstatic) He can explain why the Quick Willy had the custom hatch on the doghouse installed.

Was wondering when Larry would get around to us! (Thanks Larry!). Ah yes.. .the additional hatch - doesn't every owner need one so that he can stand up straight when putting his foulies on down below? Guess only if they're 7' tall!

Lots of good times and good results on that boat!

#114 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Was wondering when Larry would get around to us! (Thanks Larry!). Ah yes.. .the additional hatch - doesn't every owner need one so that he can stand up straight when putting his foulies on down below? Guess only if they're 7' tall!

Lots of good times and good results on that boat!

Randy trimming chute?

Larry was the tallest Penguin sailor I ever did see.

#115 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

Randy trimming chute?

Larry was the tallest Penguin sailor I ever did see.

I think it's Dave Sollitt on kite trim.

Larry was the tallest anything-sailor I've ever seen!

#116 CAY1

CAY1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:44 AM

Does anyone know of a Garrett 1 ton called Hippo?

#117 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,811 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:57 AM

Posted Image

Gary Swenson Driving
The Ed looking like he is trimming
Me Pushing out the Main after hoisting the Kite in about 2 seconds.... :lol: :lol:
And Vicki (gary's ex) in the bow

I think the photo is 80 or 81 nationals at CI Harbor.
And yes that is one of those early light weight Mylar kites, we called a "Quivering Cell" because in anything other than flat water they quivered and were not fun to trim or very fast.

#118 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

#119 multisail

multisail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

1976 Contention 33 3/4ton..Originally "Patriot". Peterson design. This picture is while it was mine:

Boat loved waves...but a handful downwind...the IOR death rolls!

Ah, the Contention 33.
It was said that you get a bread roll, a sausage roll, and then the Petersen Roll!

Many moons ago, 4 of us university students borrowed one from a kind owner and raced it 4 100 miles in the 1982 South Atlantic Race, Cape Town to Punta del Este, Uruguay. A DOWNWIND race down the South East trades. Anybody could have told us it was the wrong boat for that. Even we knew it, but that was the boat we had. We broached our way accross the Atlantic.
Afterwards I solo'ed the boat home, mainly upwind.
It was an incredibly sound boat and rode out three severe storms in the South Atlantic coming home.

The two crossings remain most memorable and I will always have a soft spot for the Contention 33.

Regards,

Multisail.

#120 tendegreealex

tendegreealex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:38 AM

Circus Maximus in all her glory !

I didn't know Farrah Fawcett was into sailing........

What was Circus Maximus? looks Bill Lee-ish, but have never seen.

#121 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

What was Circus Maximus? looks Bill Lee-ish, but have never seen.

IIRC, designed by Tanton. 70-ish feet long, wood, and very light for the day (1980-ish)

#122 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

Yellow Jacket. Michael W. Spicer, Barrington YC. Frers 36. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 5, rated 28.3.

Spitfire, with spinnaker. H.E. MC Brayer, Cedar Point YC. Peterson 37. IOR Class 5, rated 28.6.

Posted Image

Errata:

In the old thread, in Post 2989, I got some information on Spitfire wrong. There was another Spitfire competing, in IOR Class III.

That boat was white, and a CTM 46.
Spitfire. Midshipman Robert Rabuse, USNA Sail Squadron. CTM 46. Storm Trysail Week 1983, Block Island. IOR Class 3. (White)

The correct information for the blue Spitfire is shown at the top in this post. Sorry about that, Gina and all. My apologies.

#123 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Spitfire. H.E. MC Brayer, Cedar Point YC. Peterson 37. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 5, rated 28.6.

Posted Image

I thought Spitfire should have a new, accurate post. Besides, I really like the photo. : )

#124 Bcam

Bcam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Spitfire. H.E. MC Brayer, Cedar Point YC. Peterson 37. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 5, rated 28.6.

Posted Image

I thought Spitfire should have a new, accurate post. Besides, I really like the photo. : )

Now sailed as "What, A Tripp" in Seattle. Notable that she participated in the IOR renewal last weekend.

And easily spotted with her Capt Morgan kite.

#125 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,637 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

Bump

need to keep this on the first page

For one thing, I love seeing pics of people wearing the same kind of sailing gear that I'm still wearing
:ph34r:

FB- Doug

#126 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

C&C 33, Hobie33, J24, SJ 24 and few others befor a distance race start, 02 or o3?

#127 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Attached File  09 05 07 288.jpg   144.28K   58 downloads My favourite on Lake Ontario..... Bonaventure......now so absent from a racing scene of small one designs. A local builder is trying to get designers interested in bringing back the old IOR SORC where one design was absent and designer's were in their heyday, as well as good builders, now languishing with insurance repair work at best. Just look at Larry's amazing pics.....those were the glory days......what has happened? Are all the old war horse racers dead and gone? One designs will leave no heritage. They are the death knell of design/build. Just a bunch of chevrolets for sale.

#128 BJJC

BJJC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

"davidprobable" I too are from Lake Ontario. Would be quite interested in knowing who the local builder you speak of is.

#129 Harnesscreek

Harnesscreek

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

[quote name='Larry' timestamp='1310303324' post='3328248']
Yellow Jacket. Michael W. Spicer, Barrington YC. Frers 36. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 5, rated 28.3.

Posted Image

Larry-

I thought that "Yellow Jacket" came out of the Ches. Bay/ Annapolis? Did this information come from the scratch sheet?

As always great pics...

Thanks,

#130 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Yes, info on Yellow Jacket and Spitfire were taken from STW scratch sheet for 1983,
except that Affiliation was listed but did not include YC after name of club. I added the YC.

Some owners were members of multiple yacht clubs, but only one was listed for this regatta.

#131 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

China Doll. Sidney Kiwitt. YRA/LIS. Farr 34. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 8, rated 24.5.

Posted Image

#132 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

That's an interesting photo - and not just because how poorly the Farr seems to be doing in the around-the-island race. It's interesting because that looks like the Atlantis Hotel on the right side of the picture - standing out all alone with little constructions around it.

BI has changed a bit since 83.

#133 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

China Doll. Sidney Kiwitt. YRA/LIS. Farr 34. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 8, rated 24.5.

Posted Image

China Doll is still owned by Sid and it is a Pari 34.

#134 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Posted Image

You beat me to it. I don't know where the Farr reference would have come from. Only thing to add is that it was rebuilt after they nearly tore the keel off of it on execution rocks.

#135 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image

You beat me to it. I don't know where the Farr reference would have come from. Only thing to add is that it was rebuilt after they nearly tore the keel off of it on execution rocks.

Oh and Sid periodically renames the boat. I know it was Roadrunner for a while.

#136 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

Wow, I never realized the Pari 34 is a Sparkman & Stephens design - go figure.

#137 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

The 1983 STW Results Booklet does not list designers.
But the scratch sheet was my source on China Doll.
Sometimes scratch sheets contain errors I suppose.

I did notice that Club is listed as LISA in the Results Booklet.

#138 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Design IOR CHS IRC IMS

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

Really right mate ::::, well done :)

Wow, I never realized the Pari 34 is a Sparkman & Stephens design - go figure.

Attached Files

#139 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Infinity. John Thomson. Storm Trysail Club. Holland 47. 1983 Storm Trysail Week, Block Island RI.

Posted Image

#140 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Storm. Bruce E. Barnard, NYYC. Luders 27 (39' LOA). 1983 Storm Trysail Week, Block Island RI. MHS Division 10, rated 864.6.

Bill Luders designed a classic with his concept of the ideal design for a racing/cruising 36 footer, based on his years of experience in yacht design
and construction, ranging from the well-known Luders 16 class through the Luders 27 (Storm) to the design and construction of the 12 meter AMERICAN EAGLE.

How many skippers can look up at the masthead, watch the motion, and be pretty sure their bottom is not clean?

Source: http://www.pequotyc....990&chgs=&ssid=

Posted Image

#141 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

Attached File  Talaria 1.jpg   280.78K   84 downloadsBump!

#142 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

Posted Image

Oh and Sid periodically renames the boat. I know it was Roadrunner for a while.

he had more than one over a period of time. I've heard as many as 4 different boats. They are S&S drsigned.

#143 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Victory. Frers 48. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassau Race.

Posted Image

#144 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

NIce Frers, hope that genoa N3 will be replaced by a brand new one, flat that time :)

quote name='Larry' timestamp='1310993838' post='3335705']
Victory. Frers 48. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassau Race.

#145 NH13123

NH13123

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Traditional One Designs under 30'

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Some of the archives

Attached Files

#146 Brian

Brian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

Some of the archives

Second pic looks like the J44s Tomahawk, Renegade, and Equation, no?

#147 musicman

musicman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:08 AM

Some of the archives

More 50 footer photos please :)

#148 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

Some of the archives

yes

#149 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Talaria pic2

Attached Files

#150 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

Talaria pic2

She's a Carter boat? Did you draw her?

#151 Catalina30

Catalina30

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, sailing, hiking, board games!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Still racing a 1976 Catalina 30 here, but with 3DL sails now =) We do still have a #3 that is bulletproof Dacron, it works great still. I wish there were more of these boats still around racing. Awesome pictures!

#152 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

NIce Frers, hope that genoa N3 will be replaced by a brand new one, flat that time :)

Looks like they might be cracked-off a little. Could be that it looks bellied out because it is sheeted out a couple feet and they haven't moved the lead forward and out.

#153 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Talaria pic2

She's a Carter boat? Did you draw her?

Not a Carter. Original name Marrakesh express. PJ built 1974.

#154 NH13123

NH13123

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

Some of the archives

You got it the pic was taken on Little Traverse Bay in 1990.

#155 NH13123

NH13123

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Some of the archives

I am not able to post them at the moment but next week I will have plenty of 50's pics for you.

#156 ood34

ood34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

Dont want to bother, but has anyone pictures of the 1984 Oneton NAs? I would highly appreciate any posts.

Some of the archives

I am not able to post them at the moment but next week I will have plenty of 50's pics for you.

#157 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Amazing Grace VI. Robert Herron. Canada. C&C 45. 1983 SORC, Class C, rated IOR 34.3. Miami to Nassau Race.

Posted Image

#158 Stumblingthunder

Stumblingthunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

Condor. 1983 SORC. Holland 80 (per scratch sheet.) Class A, rated 69.5. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Posted Image

Thank you very much for posting this, Larry! Brought back wonderful memories when Tampa Bay was the cross roads of serious sailing in January through March. When I was growing up, my father would take me over to the St Petersburg Yacht club every year to take a look at all the SORC boats. I had vowed that I would race the SORC. Did it finally after I graduated in 1986, on Picante, a Soverel 33 with the engine mounted in the bow for IOR rating improvement. It was like having a permanent person on the bow. After doing the whole series as 'Mastman - Navigator' (hell of a lot of running back and forth!) I vowed that I would only race on the largest sailboat that I could.

After the SORC, did the Miami-Montego Bay race on Condor. I remember that it was around 110' above the deck and about 115' above the water. I remember going up the mast to do de-macrame the halyards, it was dang high above the deck! That was a fun ride and wonderful memories! Ran out of food on the morning of the 4th day and water by the middle of the day. The cook on the boat, Didi, stripped down about half way through the trip on deck and proceeded to take a sponge bath... That was ... distracting. Got 'put in the tide' the day after we finished for my birthday celebration. Didi then proposed a marriage of convenience while the whole crew was having a beer with me pool side at the Mo-bay YC for my birthday celebration. I got wet a second time by falling over backwards into the pool when she said that!

I could go on and on.

#159 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

Stumblingthunder... please do go on and on. You have our interest.
Whatever happened to didi.. Didja get married?

FUJIMO. Jerome Schostak. GLYC. Swan 44. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 2, rated 32.7

Posted Image

#160 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

We would say that on that time we could have sailed cute and sexy boats :) (I owned a Swan 37 then 41, and i do say that they were cuter than new Farr 400, soto 40, ker 40 and so on )
Anyway its only my opinion

FUJIMO. Jerome Schostak. GLYC. Swan 44. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 2, rated 32.7

#161 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

And a fine opinion it is..............good taste in boats.........there are many of us out here that love the Swans and the '70's C&C Custom boats..........the lines are iconic and sublime.........take heart in knowing that such as the Farr 40's etc, when retired and masts removed are perfectly designed to double as tug boats with a big farm tire on the bow......don't forget a '72 C&C 43 just won overall the Chicago Mackinac after driving through the 60 knot winds.............tough beautiful boats.................cheers..

#162 Stumblingthunder

Stumblingthunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Thank you Larry! No, never got married to Didi, she was English and was looking for a posher ride into the US than I could have provided. She was on the prowl for Doctors, Lawyers or captains of industry. I was a newly minted college grad who was doing all the long distance racing I had read about over the years. I was doing race boat deliveries to the next race for food money.

The Miami-Montego Bay race had a lot of drama. We were real light with crew, only 16 on board, could have used at least 4 more bodies to rotate through the watches. Had a lot of inventory torn up, luff tapes on the heavy 1, jib top and # 2, and cracked a runner base (may have been already done but was discovered during the race.) There was a 24 hr sewing bee down below to put some luff tape segments on the heavy 1 from another torn headsail so it could at least be set (slowly, had to load each luff tape segment at the sail went up.) We managed to be come entangled in a lobster holding pen in about 100ft of water at the end of Long Island in the Bahamas while ghosting along in light air. Took quite a bit of time to clear from that mess.

There was also a power play going on between the Owner's personal assistant and the Boat Captain. All the most experienced people backed the boat captain and all the noobs were in the personal assistants pocket. I could see where that was going and graciously turned down a position on the boat, offered by the personal assistant. Condor went on to to the Caribbean circuit and the next race, the boat captain was fired and most of the crew went with him in support. Condor was a wreck the rest of that series due to lack of experience on the deck. I raced the Montego Bay raceweek on Man-O-War (J-35) and did a delivery of that boat to Antiqua for its raceweek. Crossed paths with Condor in Charlotte Amalie and caught up with the new boat captain, Simon the bowman, when they were hauling the inventory over to the sail loft.

Hell of a good time!

#163 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

War Baby. Warren A. Brown. Bermuda. S&S 62. 1983 SORC, Class A, rated IOR 44.2. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.
Palmer-Johnson build. Displacement 36 tons, height of mast, 86 feet.

ex-Dora IV, ex-Tenacious, previously owned by Lynn WIlliams, then by Ted Turner.
Winner of 1979 Fastnet Race.
This boat was the pride of most Chicago sailors when owned and sailed as Dora IV on Lake Michigan by Lynn Williams.

Re: Lake Michigan
Quote below from webpage at http://www.sailingma...ures/14-the-mac

...But it is Turner who is perhaps most famous for underestimating the race. Having never sailed the Mac before,
Turner was warned that Lake Michigan can dish up some particularly challenging conditions at times.
Having thousands of ocean miles under his belt, Turners reply was akin to a guffaw: Yeah, Im really scared.
Later, with his 12-Meter American Eagle and his crew bruised and battered in a fearsome northerly gale,
Turner famously proclaimed, I hereby publicly retract anything and everything I have ever said about inland sailing.

Posted Image

Here's another treat from 2004 featuring some of War Baby's exploits... http://www.latitude3...anges11-04.html

#164 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Clipper, with Canada main and US chute.

Posted Image

#165 Ike's Bay Commodore

Ike's Bay Commodore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rum, cigars -- not necessarily in that order.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

[quote name='Larry' timestamp='1311964585' post='3349037']
Clipper, with Canada main and US chute.

Posted Image

Larry,

Was this taken during the Racine Regatta in 1986 when the Canadian's and Heart of America did exihibition match races with Clipper and Defender?

#166 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

Ahoy, Ike's Bay Commodore...

The photo was taken at Newport in 1983 during the America's Cup summer.

I believe Clipper was sold to the Canada 1 (Secret Cove YC Challenge) syndicate some time in 1983, before this photo was taken.

Posted Image

http://www.trivia.de/Twelves.shtml

http://www.ultimatesail.com/12Meter/usa2.html

#167 Burnsy

Burnsy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Interests:1982 Dehler DB1 "Heat Wave" 31436
    Bay City YC
    Bayview YC
    South Shore YC

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

Was Condor the same Condor from Fastnet '79?

#168 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Was Condor the same Condor from Fastnet '79?

Nope. The second one (in the pic) was a Ron Holland maxi.

The first one (that did the 79 Fastnet) was built in timber to a John Sharp design for the 77-78 Whitbread. Lost her experimental carbon stick on leg one. Built like a brick dunny.

#169 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

...don't forget a '72 C&C 43 just won overall the Chicago Mackinac after driving through the 60 knot winds.............tough beautiful boats.................cheers..

Not quite. Usual Suspect won the Chicago Mackinac Cup, for the smaller monohull racing division and section 6. 29 boats from the Mackinac Trophy division had better corrected times as well as six multi hulls.
And the truth shall set you free.

http://competitor.cy...lts-overall.cfm

#170 Pehrst

Pehrst

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

Posted Image

So I guess that the "Fujimo" tale of "F.. you Jane I'm moving out" from the Frers 50 tale is/was total bs.

#171 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

^^^ what if it didn't start with the red boat...

#172 Stumblingthunder

Stumblingthunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

A few more memories came to me after my previous post. First one was tacking in 'very' close to the Great Isaac Lighthouse at night after crossing the gulf stream. I thought we were going to taste the bricks before we tacked away! The second one was rounding Cape Maisi on the Western end of Cuba. Another late at night event and we were very close to the point, well within Cuban territorial waters. A few years prior, patrol boats captured a race boat and detained the crew for a while. There was quite an air of tension on the boat until we got back outside of their territorial waters. We were lights out and had the running lights dimmed to squeak around that point so that we could free up and set the spinnaker for the final run to Montego Bay.

Except for the 'political drama,' it was a wonderful experience to have crewed on such a storied vessel and the team mates were all great people. I had more fun than I can express in words!

I have photos somewhere in storage and will get them scanned and posted soon.

#173 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

A few more memories came to me after my previous post. First one was tacking in 'very' close to the Great Isaac Lighthouse at night after crossing the gulf stream. I thought we were going to taste the bricks before we tacked away! The second one was rounding Cape Maisi on the Western end of Cuba. Another late at night event and we were very close to the point, well within Cuban territorial waters. A few years prior, patrol boats captured a race boat and detained the crew for a while. There was quite an air of tension on the boat until we got back outside of their territorial waters. We were lights out and had the running lights dimmed to squeak around that point so that we could free up and set the spinnaker for the final run to Montego Bay.

Except for the 'political drama,' it was a wonderful experience to have crewed on such a storied vessel and the team mates were all great people. I had more fun than I can express in words!

Thanks. It's the comments, as well as the pictures, that make this a great thread.

Oh, for a shot of Norm Raben's La Forza Del Destino. The black one, flush deck as I recall, with the name in large gold leaf. Around in the early 70's. New England, maybe more.

#174 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thanks. It's the comments, as well as the pictures, that make this a great thread.

Oh, for a shot of Norm Raben's La Forza Del Destino. The black one, flush deck as I recall, with the name in large gold leaf. Around in the early 70's. New England, maybe more.

I remember La Forza as one of the first IOR boats I'd ever seen. I was probably ten years old when she was brand new and spent some time on the dock of the Port Washington YC. An awe inspiring sight for a kid of that age.

#175 Laser1

Laser1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

Bump

#176 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

Arbitrage. 1987, in Chicago.

Posted Image

#177 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

Some of the archives

where are the pics..

in the mean time here is a link to morningstar 50' :

#178 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

57' Desperado.Attached File  Desperado.jpg   501.48K   185 downloads

#179 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

To win with an inusual design boat must be fully enjoyin' :)

57' Desperado.Attached File  Desperado.jpg   501.48K   185 downloads

#180 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

Ranger. NY 36. Atlanta Highlands YC. Storm Trysail Week 1983, Block Island RI. Raced in IOR Class 7, rated 26.8 per scratch sheet.

Posted Image

#181 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thunderbolt. Rodney Wallace. Excelsior MN. Nelson-Marek 41. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race. 1984 SORC, Class D. rated 32.3 est.

Posted Image

#182 Trick 1

Trick 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Best thread ever on page 4?

Bump!

#183 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

Here's another photo of Insight.

Insight. Ben H. Garrett. Largo FL. Nelson-Marek 36. 1983 SORC Class F, rated IOR 28.3. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Posted Image

#184 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Hum,

not my cup of tea this fatty cellulite 36 footer :), sorry Ben :(

Here's another photo of Insight.

Insight. Ben H. Garrett. Largo FL. Nelson-Marek 36. 1983 SORC Class F, rated IOR 28.3. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

#185 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:46 AM

Arbitrage, in race off Chicago. No information on boat, designer, or crew.

Posted Image

#186 Brian

Brian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image

Looks to be a J/N 1ton.

#187 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Too unsexy to be a J/N mate :)

Looks to be a J/N 1ton.

#188 Brian

Brian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

Too unsexy to be a J/N mate :)

Looks to be a J/N 1ton.

My bad, X-Yachts 1-ton...

#189 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:37 AM

Whiteout. Capper/Chick. Wylie 28. 1982 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 6, rated 21.4.

Posted Image

#190 bad_burritos

bad_burritos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

saw this the other day - what a nice boat. got a real nice new rig and new bits - wish it was a pic of her sailing but still wanted to post and would love to see some old pics of her back in ealry 80's
Will o'the Wisp D.Peterson 41' 1980 CM/Sloop/2-Ton racing

Attached Files

#191 The Dude

The Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

saw this the other day - what a nice boat. got a real nice new rig and new bits - wish it was a pic of her sailing but still wanted to post and would love to see some old pics of her back in ealry 80's

I was hoping "Wisp" would show up on this thread. Wisp was built in Sidney B.C. by Bent Jespersen Boat Builders in 1981 (I think). I started to sail with the Wilson family when they owned a Viking 33 called "Menehune". I was fortunate to sail on Wisp a few times. However my brother sailed on her from the start. Vic- Maui, Clipper Cup, Mexorc, BBS, SORC...& many more regatta's. He has hundreds of pictures documenting the campain. She was also featured in a Forespar add. Sailing down wind between Tomahawk & I think Container, I think it was during SORC. Recently I was honored to play a small part in her refit. She was purchased by the late Don Wilson's son. We redid all the deck gear with new Harken equipment, new keel & new carbon rig. I'll call my Bro, get him to send me some pictures. There are some awesome shot's. Hope to post them soon.......

#192 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

She was also featured in a Forespar add. Sailing down wind between Tomahawk & I think Container, I think it was during SORC.

If you happen to find run across that ad, please scan and post? I raced with Tomahawk back then, would love a copy.

#193 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Thunderbolt. Rodney Wallace. Excelsior MN. Nelson-Marek 41. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race. 1984 SORC, Class D. rated 32.3 est.

Posted Image

US Admirals Cup team 1985?

#194 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

Admiral's Cup team in '85 was Sleeper, High Roller and Sidewinder.

#195 The Dude

The Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

She was also featured in a Forespar add. Sailing down wind between Tomahawk & I think Container, I think it was during SORC.

If you happen to find run across that ad, please scan and post? I raced with Tomahawk back then, would love a copy.

The add...or should I say poster is very large. My brother still has it mounted in his office. The shot is spectacular. I have some great connections @ Forespar...still trying to get a copy. I'll keep you posted

#196 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

The add...or should I say poster is very large. My brother still has it mounted in his office. The shot is spectacular. I have some great connections @ Forespar...still trying to get a copy. I'll keep you posted

Don't be too long "THe Dude" please :))))

#197 thornapple

thornapple

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

Posted Image

US Admirals Cup team 1985?

US Sardinia Cup team in '82 w/ High Roler and Scaramouche

#198 bad_burritos

bad_burritos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

I was hoping "Wisp" would show up on this thread. Wisp was built in Sidney B.C. by Bent Jespersen Boat Builders in 1981 (I think). I started to sail with the Wilson family when they owned a Viking 33 called "Menehune". I was fortunate to sail on Wisp a few times. However my brother sailed on her from the start. Vic- Maui, Clipper Cup, Mexorc, BBS, SORC...& many more regatta's. He has hundreds of pictures documenting the campain. She was also featured in a Forespar add. Sailing down wind between Tomahawk & I think Container, I think it was during SORC. Recently I was honored to play a small part in her refit. She was purchased by the late Don Wilson's son. We redid all the deck gear with new Harken equipment, new keel & new carbon rig. I'll call my Bro, get him to send me some pictures. There are some awesome shot's. Hope to post them soon.......

Thats great - Thanks for the info. That must have been one nice refit - the rig and setup looks slick.
Can't wait to see the pics.

#199 chicagosos

chicagosos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Yacht club parties.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Posted Image

So I guess that the "Fujimo" tale of "F.. you Jane I'm moving out" from the Frers 50 tale is/was total bs.

HA, the Fujimo story is one of my skipper's favorite, no joke I've heard 5 times already this summer

#200 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Thats great - Thanks for the info. That must have been one nice refit - the rig and setup looks slick.
Can't wait to see the pics.

I raced on that boat quite a bit in the '90's and we called it the "Cedar Speeder". We had a lot of fun with that boat. It's great that it has been resurrected to it's former glory. Nice new mast in carbon but I used to like the guard rail yellow when it was painted in aluminum. And a tiller now? Really? 2 tonners were a hand full in any kind of air downwind. Watch out for the round downs with a stick! I think the rudder bearings were always an issue though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users