• Please log in to reply
1295 replies to this topic

#301 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Owned Paceship Eastwind 25, then C&C 26 long ago. Love yacht racing and cruising, golf, billiards, yacht photography, one wife, two grown kids, and now am grandfather of three, Hanna and Ava, and a new grandson, Parker. : )

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Gauntlet. G. Friedrichs, New Orleans. Kaufman 45. 1984 SORC. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race, Class C, rated IOR 34.3.

"Gauntlet (originally Vanina), won the first Sardinia cup in 1978. It was part of the 1979 Italian Admirals Cup Team placing third. For 15 years it sailed in New Orleans
under the name Gauntlet and then came to the Great Lakes in 1995. It races primarily on Lake Michigan where it has been Lake Michigan LMPHRF best on the lake
five times since 1998. She was second in last years Chicago to Mackinac and Third in the Port Huron to Mackinac. The boat also won the Nood regatta and Verve regattas in Chicago.

In 2006 we have taken a third in the Queens Cup from Milwaukee to Grand Haven Mi. She represents Macatawa Bay Yacht Club in Holland Michigan."

Posted Image

#302 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

WTF is going on there? First I thought it was a bit of leach, then a sail bag...

#303 Alysum

Alysum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

Great shot! Is that the spinnaker socket that ripped apart?

#304 Alysum

Alysum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

I have this photo shown to me by a member of the Australia II syndicate.
Sorry, but I cannot recall his name. He was middle-aged and had sandy, curly hair,
though perhaps less than when younger.

Does anybody know the name of this man?
I wish now that I had photographed every one on their team. Sheesh.

I believe the drawing was from a patent application for the concept of a winged keel.

Posted Image

NOTE: Today, with less expensive digital photography, you can easily photograph everything you see, at low cost,
and share your photos on the internet (and 4x6 prints from snapfish, for example, cost only 9 each).

It's Ben Lexcen/Bob Miller :)

#305 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

WTF is going on there? First I thought it was a bit of leach, then a sail bag...

A bit of blooper perhaps?

#306 Former MDR Vandal 1

Former MDR Vandal 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I have this photo shown to me by a member of the Australia II syndicate.
Sorry, but I cannot recall his name. He was middle-aged and had sandy, curly hair,
though perhaps less than when younger.

Does anybody know the name of this man?
I wish now that I had photographed every one on their team. Sheesh.

I believe the drawing was from a patent application for the concept of a winged keel.

Posted Image

NOTE: Today, with less expensive digital photography, you can easily photograph everything you see, at low cost,
and share your photos on the internet (and 4x6 prints from snapfish, for example, cost only 9 each).

It's Ben Lexcen/Bob Miller :)

BenBob did not have "sandy, curly hair." Larry is asking the name of who showed him the sketch which is in the photo, not who drew the keel (which, in my opinion, was probably a lot of guys throwing a lot of ideas around, including, but not limited to, BenBob).

#307 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

More likely an old school spinnaker snake. Hoist the kite up in heavy air and then open the snake so it doesn't fill half way up. Looks like the boys my have forgot how to use the retrival line.

#308 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

+1 For you youngsters, that is a long 'snake' a tube with a break apart zipper. Kite is stretched out & snuffed inside the tube, hoisted as a snake, than zipper split at bottom to allow kite to fill from bottom up. Bow had a retrieval line to bottom of sock. Looks like the head of this snake got tangled in the halyard shackle somehow, so snake was released to allow kite to fly. Distracting, but free sail area.

#309 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Owned Paceship Eastwind 25, then C&C 26 long ago. Love yacht racing and cruising, golf, billiards, yacht photography, one wife, two grown kids, and now am grandfather of three, Hanna and Ava, and a new grandson, Parker. : )

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

I'm checking my info on Gauntlet and will post more soon.

BTW, Buddy Friedrichs, the owner, had been an Olympic gold medalist earlier.

Until then, I can offer this...

After a death roll destroyed their chute (US 18188), Gauntlet's crew hoisted their old Italian-numbered chute.

"This is just after the most dramatic pole-exploding death roll of my life.
We were pinned down for some time with water pouring in the hatches.
Before the round-up we were flying a big solid red chute." - Ronnie LaNasa

My Note: It seems that remnants of the torn-up chute flew pennant-like until after dark when they finally got it down somehow.

#310 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

Possible, but that's a hell of a doughnut to shred the spi all the way along the edge like that. Blame it on the afterguard then, not the bow man.

#311 Similitude

Similitude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:All Hunters, all the time

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

Possible, but that's a hell of a doughnut to shred the spi all the way along the edge like that. Blame it on the afterguard then, not the bow man.

Bowman are always right, it almost certainly had something to do with the guy trimmer.

#312 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

Conspiracy. Neil Van Dyke. Eagle Harbor YC, Vancouver BC, Canada. Herreshoff 37. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 4, rated 26.7

Posted Image

#313 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Conspiracy. Neil Van Dyke. Eagle Harbor YC, Vancouver BC, Canada. Herreshoff 37. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 4, rated 26.7

Posted Image

????

I can throw a rock from EHYC from my boat to WVYC and I hung out at the club from the early '70's . I helped build a aluminum 3/4 tonner there in '77/'78. It's a small place and everyone knows everyone and don't remember the owner; or the boat. It was a long time ago so maybe that's not the boat or the owner.

That said you are give a big service for photos from the hay days of IOR, SORC and the ilk that about boats and people are in the catacombs of sailboat racing and for that we all thank you.

An outstanding thread my friend.

Kudos,
Maxx

#314 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Posted Image

For the youngsters- this is a power reaching setup! Thanks Larry.

#315 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Posted Image

And it's a Heritage 37 (Heritage 1-Ton (27.5 rater, with a little IOR MkIIIa age allowance dropping her down to 26.7)), not a Herreshoff design.

#316 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

Posted Image

And it's a Heritage 37 (Heritage 1-Ton (27.5 rater, with a little IOR MkIIIa age allowance dropping her down to 26.7)), not a Herreshoff design.

Land's End, Line Seven, or Sea Gear Foulies . What's your guess?

#317 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

Ah, thanks, Heritage 37. 'HER' abbreviation threw me.

#318 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:28 AM

Leading Lady

#319 Jumaggafanny

Jumaggafanny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Mostly dead presidents and loose women. But my job requires skills in astrophysics and homeopathic healing of severe head wounds, politics, and knitting.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the great pix of Gauntlet. I've sailed aboard her for the last 2 Chi-Mac's and to find an old pix was very nice indeed.
I am researching this boat to repair a soft spot in the rear cockpit, a honeycombed alum that has been damaged over the years. Tis was a Bennetti built yacht and I am after them direct but if anone has specific information I'd appreciate the bump.
JuMagGaFanny

#320 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,822 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

Atlantis

#321 BayRacer

BayRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

One more minor correction.... EHYC is Egg Harbor Yacht Club in WI. I sailed on "Conspiracy" on '87 "first" record breaker Chi-Mac. 2 on the tiller much of the way on that downhill run. :lol:

#322 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

Atlantis

Or Helly-Hansen!

#323 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

One more minor correction.... EHYC is Egg Harbor Yacht Club in WI. I sailed on "Conspiracy" on '87 "first" record breaker Chi-Mac. 2 on the tiller much of the way on that downhill run. :lol:

Ahhh.......mystery solved!

I didn't think it was a Vancouver boat. Then again it doesn't necessarily mean the owner had a boat on the right coast. I'd would have know anyway. It's a smallish yacht club (a couple hundred members or so) and everyone knows each other. http://www.ehyc.org/

Thanks mate

#324 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,253 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Atlantis

Or Helly-Hansen!

Funny, I donated an old pair of Helly Hansons I had sitting in the closet to a boat short on gear about a month ago.

#325 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

Cool. Thanks for accurate info on EHYC in Wisconsin, BayRacer.

#326 BayRacer

BayRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

No problem, Larry. Thanks for all the great photos. After almost 30 years these threads have been a blast.

I may have 2-3 scratch sheet booklets from '80's mac races still around.

#327 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:20 AM

Posted Image

Love those hydraulics!!!!

Now which tap did what in the dark.
Doesn't matter the oil has all leaked all over the cockpit and now nothing works.

Makes me feel old.

TUBBY

Ya Stearn on the back-stay made me laugh. Brown oily decks. BUT FAST AS ALL HELL when they
pumped the mast forward or aft to perfection.. .. .

#328 de Ruyter

de Ruyter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

Love those hydraulics!!!!

Now which tap did what in the dark.
Doesn't matter the oil has all leaked all over the cockpit and now nothing works.

Makes me feel old.

TUBBY

Ya Stearn on the back-stay made me laugh. Brown oily decks. BUT FAST AS ALL HELL when they
pumped the mast forward or aft to perfection.. .. .

Belive me, I still use the same hydraulics from Stern and they still works great on board of my Peterson 43, Panta Rhei (ex Schuttevaer).

#329 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Belive me, I still use the same hydraulics from Stern and they still works great on board of my Peterson 43, Panta Rhei (ex Schuttevaer).

Was that the Schuttevaer that was originally painted pale yellow on one side, and pale blue on the other? Confusing as all hell short-tacking up Cowes Green. "Keep your eye on the yellow Dutch boat." "What yellow boat?" "Shit, where did that blue one come from? Tack now!"

#330 de Ruyter

de Ruyter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

Was that the Schuttevaer that was originally painted pale yellow on one side, and pale blue on the other? Confusing as all hell short-tacking up Cowes Green. "Keep your eye on the yellow Dutch boat." "What yellow boat?" "Shit, where did that blue one come from? Tack now!"

I am not sure but, the yellow and blue boat was called "Schollevaer", Rogers 39.

#331 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

Kialoa and Condor. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassau Race. IOR Class A.

Posted Image

#332 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Now that's some serious mast bend on Condor!

#333 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

I was thinking the same thing

#334 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Gotta flatten that full main somehow without putting the reef in. Runner loads get pretty entertaining, though.

#335 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,267 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

Larry:
Could I have your permission to use the pic on CONSPIRACY in my upcoming GOB article on the IOR? Please.

I am looking for pics that show some of the more extreme examples or shape specific examples of IOR hulls. I need photographers permission and photo credit in order to use any pics.

#336 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:09 AM

Absolutely, Bob.
I suppose you are referring to Good Old Boat magazine.
You are welcome to use the Conspiracy image as you've described.

#337 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,267 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

Thanks Larry. Who gets the photo credit?

#338 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

1983 Larry Moran

#339 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image

I love the IOR maxis. They were the height of everything I aspired too in sailing back when I was a kid. I was in awe of them and I actually got to race on a few. I have to chuckle now though thinking that today's TP52 is faster on every point of sail, even upwind!

#340 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:55 AM

Some Maxi tales:

http://www.offshores...-maxi-lane.aspx

#341 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Design IOR CHS IRC IMS

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

Very Interesting article, will translate it in French on my site during winter :)

Some Maxi tales:

http://www.offshores...-maxi-lane.aspx

#342 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

At least two sections... maybe 3?

Now that's some serious mast bend on Condor!

#343 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Larry:
Could I have your permission to use the pic on CONSPIRACY in my upcoming GOB article on the IOR? Please.

I am looking for pics that show some of the more extreme examples or shape specific examples of IOR hulls. I need photographers permission and photo credit in order to use any pics.

Bob

I don't have a very well trained eye so I was wondering what that picture shows that would be considered extreme? Or is it more archetypal? Growing up in the 70's I find the IOR look to be attractive, and this one is no exception. (not saying you don't). I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts on this boat.

Thanks,
David

#344 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

Columbine. Harry T. Colfer. MBYC. J30. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 5, rated 25.7.

Posted Image

#345 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image

I love the IOR maxis. They were the height of everything I aspired too in sailing back when I was a kid. I was in awe of them and I actually got to race on a few. I have to chuckle now though thinking that today's TP52 is faster on every point of sail, even upwind!

It is interesting to think about what a TP-52 will be doing when it's the age of Kialoa, Windward Passage, or others of that era. Can you imagine cruising on up to Maine in a TP-52???

BV

#346 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I was wondering who was going to ask that question.........

Posted Image

It is interesting to think about what a TP-52 will be doing when it's the age of Kialoa, Windward Passage, or others of that era. Can you imagine cruising on up to Maine in a TP-52???

BV

#347 jan willem

jan willem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

I am not sure but, the yellow and blue boat was called "Schollevaer", Rogers 39.

The Schollevaer was a rodgers 39 launchend in 1979, the hull was dark blue. I was one of the crew members from 1980 tot 1982.
The schuttevaer before the 43 feet one is the boat with the two colors as far as i can remember

#348 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

The Schollevaer was a rodgers 39 launchend in 1979, the hull was dark blue. I was one of the crew members from 1980 tot 1982.
The schuttevaer before the 43 feet one is the boat with the two colors as far as i can remember

Yes, I think you're right. The earlier Schuttevaer it was, about 38-39 feet I think. Dutch Admirals Cup team in 79. Van Dam family? Lovely people anyway, and a fine sense of humour.

#349 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

Columbine. Harry T. Colfer. MBYC. J30. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 5, rated 25.7.

Posted Image

Don't think that the name of that boat would go over too well today.

#350 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

Larry:

In the spirit of the Volvo Race (nee Whitbread) do you have any photos from some of the old maxis that might have competed back then? Certainly condor comes to mind but I'm sure there are more in your archives.

#351 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Larry:

In the spirit of the Volvo Race (nee Whitbread) do you have any photos from some of the old maxis that might have competed back then? Certainly condor comes to mind but I'm sure there are more in your archives.

FYI, "Witless Round The Bend Race" IOR maxi list. (Did I forget any?)

1973-74
Great Britain II
Pen Duick VI
Burton Cutter

1977-78
Heath's Condor
Great Britain II

1981-82
Flyer II
United Friendly (ex-Great Britain II)
FCF Challenger

1985-86
UBS Switzerland
Cote D'Or
Drum
Lion New Zealand
New Zealand Enterprise
Atlantic Privateer
Norsk Data (ex-Great Britain II)

1989-90
Steinlager II
Fisher & Paykel
Merit
Rothmans
The Card
Charles Jourdain (ULDB, later Nicorette)
Fortuna
Gatorade
Union Bank of Finland
Fazisi
NCB ireland
Satquote British Defender
Liverpool Enterprise
Creightons Naturally
Martela OF

1993-94
New Zealand Endeavour
Merit Cup
La Poste
Uruguay Natural

#352 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Larry:

FYI, "Witless Round The Bend Race" IOR maxi list. (Did I forget any?)

1973-74
Great Britain II
Pen Duick VI
Burton Cutter

1977-78
Heath's Condor
Great Britain II

1981-82
Flyer II
United Friendly (ex-Great Britain II)
FCF Challenger

1985-86
UBS Switzerland
Cote D'Or
Drum
Lion New Zealand
New Zealand Enterprise
Atlantic Privateer
Norsk Data (ex-Great Britain II)

1989-90
Steinlager II
Fisher & Paykel
Merit
Rothmans
The Card
Charles Jourdain (ULDB, later Nicorette)
Fortuna
Gatorade
Union Bank of Finland
Fazisi
NCB ireland
Satquote British Defender
Liverpool Enterprise
Creightons Naturally
Martela OF

1993-94
New Zealand Endeavour
Merit Cup
La Poste
Uruguay Natural

73 winner Sayula!!! Mexican Swan-a-bago
You're a Bay sailor do you remember the year that the sled "Silver Bullet" did a leg of the race?

#353 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

Sayula II wasn't a maxi, though. I didn't put up the WHOLE list.

Don't remember silver Bullet. I was a Limey back then anyway.

#354 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

do you remember the year that the sled "Silver Bullet" did a leg of the race?

Silver Bullet (SC-70) did a leg of the Whitbread? Never heard that... would love to hear the story.

#355 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

Silver Bullet (SC-70) did a leg of the Whitbread? Never heard that... would love to hear the story.

Flowerman would know if you run into him.

#356 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1990-04-23/news/9001040492_1_silver-bullet-final-leg-whitbread-skippers

http://books.google.com/books?id=GA-iDK0ohFUC&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&dq=%22silver+bullet%22+%26+whitbread&source=bl&ots=K0kMZWjUNh&sig=8QJwSThdLnaAjJBkDdIpxGZH5dM&hl=en&ei=bs2xTrrsDOKtiQKg2M1R&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

#357 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1990-04-23/news/9001040492_1_silver-bullet-final-leg-whitbread-skippers

http://books.google.com/books?id=GA-iDK0ohFUC&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&dq=%22silver+bullet%22+%26+whitbread&source=bl&ots=K0kMZWjUNh&sig=8QJwSThdLnaAjJBkDdIpxGZH5dM&hl=en&ei=bs2xTrrsDOKtiQKg2M1R&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

There we go!

#358 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Ah, crap. I knew about their trans-at crossing but my tired brain interpreted the above as "Silver Bullet was entered in the Whitbread, but only sailed one leg..." They didn't actually race *in* the Whitbread, they paced the Whitbread fleet across the Atlantic.

Is it happy hour yet?

#359 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

Tom Blackaller memory.

The original photo has a lot of noise, so I applied some noise reduction.
Cropped and enlarged, it's rather blurry, but I still like it.

Posted Image

l'd love to hear some more great stories about Tom.

#360 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

seems perfectly apropos... tom, himself, could be "rather blurry" at times.

#361 Son of a Sailor

Son of a Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

Thunderhead. Paul & Charles Hoffman. STC. Storm Trysail Week, 1983, Block Island. IOR, Class 1.

Posted Image

I sailed on Thunderhead as a youngster a few times. Wasn't it constructed out of steel?

#362 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Tom Blackaller memory.

Posted Image

He loved to use the line "I'm a pro-sailor" in the bar!

#363 Five Guys Named Moe

Five Guys Named Moe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

That is a wild looking house/hard dodger arrangement on the boat. Would love more shots!

Thunderhead. Paul & Charles Hoffman. STC. Storm Trysail Week, 1983, Block Island. IOR, Class 1.

Posted Image

I sailed on Thunderhead as a youngster a few times. Wasn't it constructed out of steel?

#364 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:11 AM

Spitfire. H.E. MC Brayer, Cedar Point YC. Peterson 37. 1983 Storm Trysail Week. IOR Class 5, rated 28.6.

Posted Image

I thought Spitfire should have a new, accurate post. Besides, I really like the photo. : )

So do I! :)

#365 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

Tom Blackaller memory.

Posted Image

I think I've already mentioned this story about Tom, but its worth repeating. When Bill Martin's Star and Stripes (The Nelson/Marek One Tonner/Canada's Cupper) was brand new it was just launched and sitting in a slip at Bayview YC. When Blackaller walked up to the boat, he threw his bag down on the dock, hopped up on the foredeck and started jumping up and down. The foredeck oil-canned up and down about 6 inches under his weight. He looked back at Mr. Bill, whose jaw dropped down to the dock, and said, "It'll be fast."

#366 dave-j

dave-j

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

Same boat (currently Claddagh in Marblehead), during a shakedown sail the steering cable broke. Not exact quote but something like (while spinning the useless wheel) "I can see it in the papers tomorrow - famous sailboat racer dies in Detroit River - I deserve better"

#367 someoldsalt

someoldsalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

That is a wild looking house/hard dodger arrangement on the boat. Would love more shots!

Posted Image

Aluminum I believe

#368 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

Patriot. Leonard A. Lehman. CCYC. C&C 33. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race, MHS Section 6, rated 100.0.

Posted Image

#369 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Heritage. Donahue Wildman/Sea Scouts. CYC, Col YC, SEAS. Converted 12-meter.
1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race, IOR Section 1, rated IOR 55.2.

Posted Image

#370 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Posted Image

Cool pic, don't know who took it (I think it is floating around one of these forums) but another favorite is heritage with broken mast and the Edmund Fitzgerald in the back round.

#371 thornapple

thornapple

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

Posted Image

Cool pic, don't know who took it (I think it is floating around one of these forums) but another favorite is heritage with broken mast and the Edmund Fitzgerald in the back round.

Posted Image

As I heard the story, the photo was taken by Eric Schlageter - who was an all round good guy and a drew some great boats.

#372 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

A few more memories came to me after my previous post. First one was tacking in 'very' close to the Great Isaac Lighthouse at night after crossing the gulf stream. I thought we were going to taste the bricks before we tacked away! The second one was rounding Cape Maisi on the Western end of Cuba. Another late at night event and we were very close to the point, well within Cuban territorial waters. A few years prior, patrol boats captured a race boat and detained the crew for a while. There was quite an air of tension on the boat until we got back outside of their territorial waters. We were lights out and had the running lights dimmed to squeak around that point so that we could free up and set the spinnaker for the final run to Montego Bay.

Except for the 'political drama,' it was a wonderful experience to have crewed on such a storied vessel and the team mates were all great people. I had more fun than I can express in words!

I have photos somewhere in storage and will get them scanned and posted soon.

Thanks. It's the comments, as well as the pictures, that make this a great thread.

Oh, for a shot of Norm Raben's La Forza Del Destino. The black one, flush deck as I recall, with the name in large gold leaf. Around in the early 70's. New England, maybe more.

Great boat. First boat I ever tried spinnaker flying on. Anchored off Rose Island as I recall, cruising back from Nassau after the SORC. Can't remember what year.

#373 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Challenge 12. Owned by a number of Australian businessmen from Victoria headed by Dick Pratt. 1983 America's Cup participant, Newport RI.

Skippered by John Savage.

Challenge 12 was also designed by Lexcen and sold to the Victorian challenge after the Bond syndicate selected Australia II. [2] She was a fast, traditional 12 Meter,
and lacked the winged keel of her sister boat Australia II. John Bertrand favored her initially, but was talked into sailing the new design by Alan Bond. She may have
been superior to Australia II in heavy winds, and was a real threat to the men from the West of Australia.

Posted Image

It looks like Ben Lexcen and Alan Bond made the right choice, as winds tended to be light in 1983, especially when compared to Fremantle.
I wish Liberty had raced against Challenge 12 instead. Another 20/20 post mortem.

Here's more on Challenge 12...

#374 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Challenge 12. Owned by a number of Australian businessmen from Victoria headed by Dick Pratt. 1983 America's Cup participant, Newport RI.

Challenge 12 was also designed by Lexcen and sold to the Victorian challenge after the Bond syndicate selected Australia II. [2] She was a fast, traditional 12 Meter,
and lacked the winged keel of her sister boat Australia II. John Bertrand favored her initially, but was talked into sailing the new design by Alan Bond. She may have
been superior to Australia II in heavy winds, and was a real threat to the men from the West of Australia.

Posted Image

It looks like Ben Lexcen and Alan Bond made the right choice, as winds tended to be light in 1983, especially when compared to Fremantle.
I wish Liberty had raced against Challenge 12 instead. Another 20/20 post mortem.

Challenge 12 ended up in France (IIRC as an '87 cup trial horse), She was, much later, fully refurbished by a french owner and was leading the Med fleet in the early 2K's. She was then shipped to Newport and competed in the 2009 Worlds.

#375 lydia

lydia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

Posted Image

Not so sure, against Challenge 12 it probarly would have been 4-0 to Australia.
Try to find a story about the match up between the boats in Melbourne before shipping to the US
It had a predomiantly non professional crew and not the rig/sail development of A2

#376 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I heard the story, the photo was taken by Eric Schlageter - who was an all round good guy and a drew some great boats.

Thanks Thorn for posting the pic. If the guys on heritage only new what was coming for the Fitz it would make their problems at the time look pretty small.

#377 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

IOR CF Maxi ex-Matador 2 aka Fudge at Hammo Race week circa 1996 as seen from the middle of Brindy's grinding team

Attached Files

#378 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Nirvana. Marvin Green, Pedrick 81. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassua Race, Claas A, rated IOR 70.0.

Posted Image

#379 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Nirvana. Marvin Green, Pedrick 81. 1983 SORC, Miami to Nassua Race, Claas A, rated IOR 70.0.

Posted Image

That is a fantastically beautiful shot! I know it's just the angle, but it looks like the mast is about 3X the length of the boat. Even so, that looks like a powerful machine. THanks

#380 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

Everywhere I went I saw the Coast Guard helping sailors race and offering assistance to photographers.

They did a great job as I see it. They deserve my thanks.

Posted Image

#381 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Lobo and Heritage. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race.

Posted Image

#382 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Lobo and Heritage. 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race.

Posted Image

Pair of woodies, classic shot thanks!

#383 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Posted Image

Thanks Larry! Will be sharing this with her current owner.

#384 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Here's another photo of Triumph from the 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. C&C 61. IOR Section 1.

Posted Image

#385 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

Here's another photo of Triumph from the 1983 Chicago to Mackinac Race. C&C 61. IOR Section 1.

Posted Image

Cool shot, any of the third sister "Kohinoor" that also spent time on the lakes during that period? I remember seeing the boat in '83 for the first time and as I recall it was just after a refit at C&C and she was looking pretty spectacular-loved the huge frac rig.

#386 FastRobert

FastRobert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

Hey Wasp, ..... where does Nirvana lay these days? My experience with her goes way back to'83.

#387 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

Tom Blackaller memory.

Posted Image

There is a video interview of Tom Blackaller seated on a sail boat talking about the boats in the current { then} AC , 12s? Something like this "These boats are slow as slugs. We've got fast boats, multi hulled boat going round the world at speeds ..... Id love to see them in the AC." He'd be HAPPY with the AC boats this time around. This video is close but not the one I remember.

Uploaded by LisaBlackaller on Jan 7, 2011

I just had to share this clip with old friends in the America's Cup world. This video clips and interview were done with my dad prior to his untimely death in 1989. He would certainly be thrilled and amazed that, yes in fact, the America's Cup IS coming to San Francisco Bay, and it IS being sailed in fast catamarans! Too bad he is not alive to share in all the excitement. He would love it all.

#388 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

Everywhere I went I saw the Coast Guard helping sailors race and offering assistance to photographers.

Posted Image

Larry, when are where was this taken? I am assuming east coast since that looks like the cutter Eagle and she doesn't make it to the left coast often. Just trying to narrow down which 378' cutter that is with it in the picture since I spent a lot of time on one

#389 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

Posted Image

Larry, when are where was this taken? I am assuming east coast since that looks like the cutter Eagle and she doesn't make it to the left coast often.
Just trying to narrow down which 378' cutter that is with it in the picture since I spent a lot of time on one

Since you ask, Trendsetter, I believe the Coast Guard 378-foot cutter was USCGC Chase (WHEC-718).
I took the photo at the America's Cup in Newport RI in 1983. I was there for 7 weeks, during 3 trips there,
This renowned cutter currently operates out of San Diego. (This was current a couple of years ago; not sure where she is stationed now.)
Although I can't give you the exact dates easily now, I can tell you that the photo with Eagle was taken on a later day during the Finals.
Since you served aboard her, perhaps you'd like this image for your computer. Use as desired, if you wish. : )
Here's USCGC Chase in a portrait. Use as desired, for any nice purpose. Permission granted. : )

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Chase_(WHEC-718)

#390 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image

Larry, when are where was this taken? I am assuming east coast since that looks like the cutter Eagle and she doesn't make it to the left coast often. Just trying to narrow down which 378' cutter that is with it in the picture since I spent a lot of time on one

When I first saw this photo, I had the irreverant thought: "Gee the Eagle sure had to shorten sail a bunch to allow that 378' Cutter to keep up" :rolleyes:

#391 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

Gambit. Wasilew/Firks, CYC. Peterson 32. MHS Section 5, rated 622.8.

Posted Image

#392 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Actually a PT-32 (Plas-Trend Boats). Designed by Britt Chance (who also did the PT-30).

Man, I have too much IOR design trivia rattling around in my cranium...

#393 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Actually a PT-32 (Plas-Trend Boats). Designed by Britt Chance (who also did the PT-30).

Man, I have too much IOR design trivia rattling around in my cranium...

You could add "R" to the end of your screen name.

#394 Pehrst

Pehrst

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:00 AM

Posted Image

Thanks Larry! Will be sharing this with her current owner.

Way cool boat, wonder why Pedrick designed her to look like a Baltic. Maybe, he worked for DP at some time (I thougth he was a S&S guy).

#395 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

Hey Wasp, ..... where does Nirvana lay these days? My experience with her goes way back to'83.

She's been in Marblehead, MA since '02. Going to NEB this weekend for the winter. PM me if you're ever this way and want to take a closer look at her.

#396 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

You're right, Joe. Looking again, I see that abbreviation listed in scratch sheet was PT, not PET.
I would have had to ask what PT meant since I was unfamiliar with Plas-Trend.

Thanks.

#397 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,986 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:25 AM

My guess is this photo was taken at Chautauqua Lake yacht Club in about 1955. It is probably a state Championship, District Championship or the Briody regatta.

Attached Files

#398 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

My guess is this photo was taken at Chautauqua Lake yacht Club in about 1955. It is probably a state Championship, District Championship or the Briody regatta.

Back in the old days, before over-building of roads, malls, housing developments, etc, when it was windy all the time.

#399 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

Nice!

Back in the old days, before over-building of roads, malls, housing developments, etc, when it was windy all the time.

Not much evidence of wind in the photo. I seem to remember lots of lake drifters back in the day.

Funny thing, the boats are the same. The motorboats are different, the dock is different, the trailers are different, shucks even the lawn has been genetically modified. But the sailboats are unchanged!

FB- Doug

#400 FOP

FOP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing & cars

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

She's been in Marblehead, MA since '02. Going to NEB this weekend for the winter. PM me if you're ever this way and want to take a closer look at her.

Here is a photo from April 2011, visited NEB for some yachtspotting. First time I saw here IRLPosted Image

Attached File  Nirvana+Maria.jpg   131.42K   274 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users