• Please log in to reply
1277 replies to this topic

#1 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Owned Paceship Eastwind 25, then C&C 26 long ago. Love yacht racing and cruising, golf, billiards, yacht photography, one wife, two grown kids, and now am grandfather of three, Hanna and Ava, and a new grandson, Parker. : )

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Today I received instructions from SA to start a new thread since the old one has gotten so long.

I'm thinking we can still quote from pages in the old thread, which might bring some photos forward. I have a few more to add as well. : )

Here's a link to Page 1 of 34 in the old thread which is now locked. ••• http://forums.sailin...pic=113336&st=0

Here's a link to Page 34 of 34 in the old thread which is now locked. ••• http://forums.sailin...=113336&st=3300

Please post any further comments to this new thread.

Victory. Victor J. (and Linda) Cribb. Homestead FL. Frers 48. 1983 SORC Class B, rated IOR 36.1. Miami to Nassau Race.

Posted Image

I believe the boat ahead was Artemis, Sail No 31105.

#2 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

Great Pics. Have seen me in one and my dad in another. Do you have one of Rogue in the 82 or 83 Chi - Mac?

#3 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Owned Paceship Eastwind 25, then C&C 26 long ago. Love yacht racing and cruising, golf, billiards, yacht photography, one wife, two grown kids, and now am grandfather of three, Hanna and Ava, and a new grandson, Parker. : )

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

zvikings...

I'm not sure I have any photos of Rogue, but don't believe so.

Which boats did you and your dad race aboard?

#4 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

I was on Foxfire the Hunter 54. That pic was put up by someone else. My dad was on Patriot, the G&S 30.

#5 tcbusiness554

tcbusiness554

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:32 AM

best thread ever

#6 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:07 AM

Today I received instructions from SA to start a new thread since the old one has gotten so long.

I'm thinking we can still quote from pages in the old thread, which might bring some photos forward. I have a few more to add as well. : )

Here's a link to Page 1 of 34 in the old thread which is now locked. ••• http://forums.sailin...pic=113336&st=0

Here's a link to Page 34 of 34 in the old thread which is now locked. ••• http://forums.sailin...=113336&st=3300

Victory. Victor J. (and Linda) Cribb. Homestead FL. Frers 48. 1983 SORC Class B, rated IOR 36.1. Miami to Nassau Race.

Posted Image

Think those Dacron Sails were stretchy? Pretty round for a hvy/2 or a reacher for that matter.....

#7 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

Victory. ... snip for brevity ...

Larry- once again, a million thanks. This is beyond awesome to see

Think those Dacron Sails were stretchy? Pretty round for a hvy/2 or a reacher for that matter.....

I was thinking, crank some more backstay on that puppy. But yeah that old-timey stuff is stretchy.

FB- Doug

#8 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

Main looks a little short on the hoist and foot.

One of Robbie's early designs maybe?

#9 Showtime

Showtime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Other than Sailing?

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

So sad to be missing all the old threads PICS...anyway to gain access...Larry it is wonderful what you are doing here.

#10 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thank god you're back Larry. Best thread ever, bar none.

#11 DCN Marine

DCN Marine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Owner Lake Effect Boatworks, Building/Fixing and Racing Scows with my wife, kids and friends, Iceboats,
    Sailing boats bigger than my age(50's) faster than my IQ (20's)
    Retrievers and Pitbulls

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Start a new thread this ones too long! Well that's a first...BEST THREAD EVER! Thanks Larry!

#12 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

best thread ever

+1 Amazing archive in thread 1 & more treats already = cheers!

Larry
View PostLarry, on 15 June 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

#13 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

I think this sail may actually be reefed. On of the advantages of dacron was you could really strap it down to the boom when reefing. The "black" band hoist is low on the mast anyhow because of the IOR rating but this does appear to be in the first reef position.

#14 two cold dogs

two cold dogs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

I think this sail may actually be reefed. On of the advantages of dacron was you could really strap it down to the boom when reefing. The "black" band hoist is low on the mast anyhow because of the IOR rating but this does appear to be in the first reef position.

reefed for sure, the bottom batten is almost at the clew and you can see the roll of the bottom section of the main just off the starboard end of the boom.

#15 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

Yes, a single reef and a BR - typical IOR setup. I was going for a cross-thread joke.

Tough crowd.

#16 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,975 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hi Larry,

Isn't it time there was a "classic threads" place? For threads like your original?

Thanks for sharing your stuff.

#17 two cold dogs

two cold dogs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

Yes, a single reef and a BR - typical IOR setup. I was going for a cross-thread joke.

Tough crowd.

I got that, just not sure that 95% of the people on the other thread wouldn't have hopped on and started bashing Doyle again.....

#18 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

Circus Maximus in all her glory !Attached File  Circus Maximus_crop.jpg   170.36K   1313 downloads

#19 BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

Circus Maximus in all her glory !Attached File  Circus Maximus_crop.jpg   170.36K   1313 downloads

Oh, there's a boat in the background...

#20 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

She looks like she is having a great time... and the people on that boat too.

#21 pasta514

pasta514

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:37 AM

I'd love to see the uncropped photo... assuming the bottom is cropped.

#22 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

Insight. Ben H. Garrett. Largo FL. Nelson-Marek 36. 1983 SORC Class F, rated IOR 28.3. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Posted Image

#23 sail2win

sail2win

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

Insight in preceding photo looks like a Morgan 36 NM when they were trying to build race boats.

#24 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Oh, there's a boat in the background...

Oh yeah, you're right. I see it now. Nice yellow spinnaker.

#25 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:21 AM

Mistral. William R. Jacobs, Waukegan YC. Peterson 34. 1980 Chicago to Mackinac Race. IOR Section 5.

Posted Image

#26 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

I didn't know Farrah Fawcett was into sailing........

#27 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

I didn't know Farrah Fawcett was into sailing........

Apparently she was......

Mmmm......

Posted Image

#28 Wisco Sailor

Wisco Sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Larry:

Any images of Cats Paw, I think a Serendipity 43 out of the Annapolis area from the 80's? Ed passed away a little while ago and we were just talking about him the other day.

Thanks for some great reminders of past sailing.

ars

#29 Harnesscreek

Harnesscreek

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Larry:

Any images of Cats Paw, I think a Serendipity 43 out of the Annapolis area from the 80's? Ed passed away a little while ago and we were just talking about him the other day.

ars

Wasn't the boat named "That Cat"?

Thanks,

#30 ButtPirate

ButtPirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Insight in preceding photo looks like a Morgan 36 NM when they were trying to build race boats.

That is definitely the Morgan build of the N/M 36. Interesting that it has the race rig (3 spreaders) but the cruising cockpit.

Larry, do you have any more photos of the '83 Morgan N/M 36's? They are excellent boats that still are performing at the top of their fleets.

#31 Trick 1

Trick 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

That is definitely the Morgan build of the N/M 36. Interesting that it has the race rig (3 spreaders) but the cruising cockpit.

Larry, do you have any more photos of the '83 Morgan N/M 36's? They are excellent boats that still are performing at the top of their fleets.

Sailed against Insight in the northern gulf coast many times over the years. Can't remember her hometown, but she was always at the big regattas. I always likes the lines on her.

#32 BobC

BobC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Larry:

ars

Wasn't the boat named "That Cat"?

Thanks,

"That Cat" for sure, I did the '86 SORC with Ed & Betty. Sorry to hear he's gone.

#33 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

Are you certain? There was a boat of that name (IIRC) that was a sistership to 'SECRET LOVE', a Peterson 45.Black hull, maybe? Pictured earlier in this thread.

#34 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

Wunder Bear. Clarence Blackwell. AYC. CHT 48. Storm Trysail Week 1983, Block Island RI. IOR Class 1, rated 38.2.

Posted Image

What does CHT mean? I found the scratch sheet for 1983 STW, but it only has abbreviations for designers.

#35 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Wunder Bear. Clarence Blackwell. AYC. CHT 48. Storm Trysail Week 1983, Block Island RI. IOR Class 1, rated 38.2.

Posted Image

What does CHT mean? I found the scratch sheet for 1983 STW, but it only has abbreviations for designers.

It means Choate as in Choate 40.

#36 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Thanks, House Salad. : )
I've updated my scratch sheet.

#37 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

VERY flat sails.

#38 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

VERY flat sails.

For now... (they're dacron!) ;)

#39 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

VERY flat sails.

My initial thought too as I looked at the pic. not a bit of draft anywhere to be seen. At least not on the Genny. We usually didn't sheet that tight unless it was blowing a lot harder than what that pic shows.

#40 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:47 AM

Infinity. John Thomson. Storm Trysail Club. Holland 47. 1983 SORC Class B, rated IOR 36.2. Miami to Nassau Race.

Posted Image

#41 Showtime

Showtime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Other than Sailing?

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Infinity. John Thomson. Storm Trysail Club. Holland 47. 1983 SORC Class B, rated IOR 36.2. Miami to Nassau Race.

Posted Image

So much prettier than today's IRC boats. Downright sexy.

#42 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

Condor. 1983 SORC. Holland 80 (per scratch sheet.) Class A, rated 69.5. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Posted Image

#43 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Attached File  $(KGrHqJ,!k4E2D69214JBNrjJv7Gmw~~0_3.jpg   44.12K   202 downloads Here's the legend of lake Ontario, Bonaventure V with a list of C&C Custom achievements back when boats were not dinghys blown up with a cad/cam programme into ugliness personified. The good old days.

#44 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Attached File  $(KGrHqMOKjkE1uDQBwyMBNrCTG6,FQ~~_3.jpg   83.63K   241 downloads Here's some more information on the legend of lake Ontario. Does anyone have any pics of her doing the chi/mac?

#45 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Condor. 1983 SORC. Holland 80 (per scratch sheet.) Class A, rated 69.5. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Posted Image

I don't know if it's the camera angle, but that looks like an enormous mast height/LOA ratio. Big Stick looks twice the length of the boat

#46 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

The chute boggles the mind. It could yank that boat over like a toy.

#47 TUBBY

TUBBY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

Not sure which was the worst job on these things, getting the chute down in a blow or bouncing the bloody things up those masts while tearing pieces out of your hands on the wire halyards....

The longer ago it was the more fun it seemed!!!!

I must be getting old.

TUBBY

#48 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

Simply awesome photos Larry, such graceful lines these boats had.

#49 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

Still Do

Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 FastRobert

FastRobert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Larry absolutely great stuff.

We would run into and race against Condor later in '83 in Australia. Those big kits were ground up and down, then about 20 minutes of packing down below. Yeah, ...... and wire everything everywhere.

#51 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

VERY flat sails.

My initial thought too as I looked at the pic. not a bit of draft anywhere to be seen. At least not on the Genny. We usually didn't sheet that tight unless it was blowing a lot harder than what that pic shows.

I was being kind. Both sails were seriously oversheeted. Look at the vertical creases through the middle of the main and how tight the foot of the jib is. Check the bottom two seams coming off the forestay. The wind in the pic looks only about 7 or 8 knots.

#52 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

There's a bit of optical illusion going on there Ajax. The boat was definitely 80ft and the mast was probably about 120ft.

Anyone know Condor's mast height ?

#53 FastRobert

FastRobert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

There's a bit of optical illusion going on there Ajax. The boat was definitely 80ft and the mast was probably about 120ft.

Ancient memory says 110ish?

#54 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

YA gotta love the one big ass wheel on these things. The sissy looking baby sized double wheels these days just don't cut it for me. Just sayin

#55 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Ancient memory says 110ish?

Prob'ly about right. If I recall correcly, mainsail luff ("P") was usually around 105 feet on the maxis.

#56 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:18 AM

In any event, it was a long way up at night offshore, to un-cross halyards after too many peels. Happy days.

Bump.

#57 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

In any event, it was a long way up at night offshore, to un-cross halyards after too many peels. Happy days.

Heh. I got to "enjoy" a round-down/pole-in-the-water/crash-gibe while at the masthead of a pocket-maxi, once. that was an "interesting" few minutes... more than enough time to ponder whether or not spiking myself off the halyard would be a good idea if the rig broke somewhere below me...

Yeah, good times :-0

#58 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

Victory. 1983 SORC. Miami to Nassau Race.

Posted Image

#59 zvikingz

zvikingz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Victory. 1983 SORC. Miami to Nassau Race.

Now that's a pointy end!
Posted Image

#60 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

With several boats nearing the finish line, the boat in the center, nearest the camera, was Moonraker (35119). Her owner was Nils Muench. DYC. This was not a Mac race.
I don't recall Moonraker's designer or length.

Posted Image

#61 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

Moonraker. Nils Muench. DYC. Erickson 39 (I believe, though Erickson 39 brings Panache to mind.)
Perhaps Moonraker was of a later design; she looks like a more radical racing design.
Maybe you guys can fill us in.

Posted Image

Oh, I found this link. Look for Moonraker. She won quite a few awards.

http://www.chicagoyachtclub.org/%5Cattachments%2FRaceResults%2F20100818091702McClurg-Trophy_Winners.pdf

Perhaps somebody can tell us about the red 'M' near her bow.

#62 ood34

ood34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

The Moonraker in the pic should be a Beneteu Oneton. Think she was for sale on yachtworl a couple of months ago.
Kind regards

Moonraker. Nils Muench. DYC. Erickson 39 (I believe, though Erickson 39 brings Panache to mind.)
Perhaps Moonraker was of a later design; she looks like a more radical racing design.

Posted Image

http://www.chicagoya...phy_Winners.pdf

#63 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

Great. Thanks, ood... : )

#64 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Posted Image

http://www.chicagoyachtclub.org/%5Cattachments%2FRaceResults%2F20100818091702McClurg-Trophy_Winners.pdf

Nils was a great owner. Complete character and a lot of fun on any boat. He would design his own sails and have the sailmaker build to his specs. A couple of complete failures but generally okay shapes. Nils was one of those classic Detroit owners when Detroit was still a sailing hotspot.

#65 blofeld

blofeld

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

does anyone have pics of a 1979 peterson 34 sail # 33434 ? thanks for the great thread larry .

#66 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Design IOR CHS IRC IMS

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

I acknowledge Beneteau 40 from Fauroux/Finot French naval architect.
Sister ship or new name of Phenix sold in US on that time, sistership too of "Coyote" owner B.Troubl้.

[quote name='ood34' timestamp='1309174152' post='3315413']
The Moonraker in the pic should be a Beneteu Oneton. Think she was for sale on yachtworl a couple of months ago.
Kind regards

#67 dave-j

dave-j

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

The first Moonraker was an Erickson, complete with a curve painted along the side where she should sit when heeling at the optimal angle. Light gray boat with blue striping. Definitely not the boat in the picture!

#68 hawaiiseadog

hawaiiseadog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

MOONRAKER in Larry's photo - Beneteau One Ton IOR

My understanding of the history of this boat.... (please correct, or add)

Designer: Barret/Fauraux/Finot
Builder: Beneteau France

12 were built and several were raced (quite successfully) by France in the (84?) Admiral's Cup. Half of them were packed up and shipped to the US to kickstart Beneteau's entry into racing markets in North America.

1) Fair Lady was sent to Detroit where its name was changed to Moonraker. She was fairly prominent in the Detroit fleet. She was recently sold and is now racing in San Diego.

2) Coyote was sent to San Francisco and she was also quite visible in the San Francisco racing scene (B. Trouble?!?). Now located in Hawaii...

3) Advantage was sent to Detroit/Chicago. Was less successful than Moonraker

4) Air Mail sent to Chesapeake B. were she is still raced today

5) God Speed (possibly this boat formerly had name Glory?!?!) now located in Texas (and is currently listed in the SA Classifieds)

Any more info on these boats would be much appreciated!!

Attached Files

#69 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:46 AM

I believe Irv Loube(Bravura) had the Coyote when she was on SF bay.

12 were built and several were raced (quite successfully) by France in the (84?) Admiral's Cup. Half of them were packed up and shipped to the US to kickstart Beneteau's entry into racing markets in North America.

1) Fair Lady was sent to Detroit where its name was changed to Moonraker. She was fairly prominent in the Detroit fleet. She was recently sold and is now racing in San Diego.

2) Coyote was sent to San Francisco and she was also quite visible in the San Francisco racing scene (B. Trouble?!?). Now located in Hawaii...

5) God Speed (possibly this boat formerly had name Glory?!?!) now located in Texas (and is currently listed in the SA Classifieds)

#70 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:15 AM

Intuition. Peterson 42. 1984 SORC. Patrick Malloy. Sag Harbor NY. 1984 SORC Class D, rated IOR 32.7. St. Petersburg to Ft. Lauderdale Race.

Posted Image

#71 Frumious Bandersnatch

Frumious Bandersnatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

In '87, the one-tonner JAMARELLA was Stark's 2nd boat named RUSH and was nearly top boat in the Admiral's Cup that year. Ralfie sailed on it in England and then came across the pond with her. This is how he came to meet his wife of many years, Stark's then girlfriend Jamie.

http://www.farrdesig.../1983-1989.html

Stark's first RUSH was the J-41ex-SMILES pictured in Larry's old thread.

A later JAMARELLA was top AC boat in '89

http://www.cruiser-r...000000055&lang=

#72 USA1273

USA1273

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

M was most likely the bow number from/during the 1987 One Ton NAs in Chicago.

#73 KennyB

KennyB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

The first Moonraker was an Erickson, complete with a curve painted along the side where she should sit when heeling at the optimal angle. Light gray boat with blue striping. Definitely not the boat in the picture!

She is now located at the Navy Sailing Club in the south bay of San Diego. Posted Image

#74 Brian

Brian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Advantage wasn't the full-on racing version that Moonraker was--she had a closed transom and usable interior.

Raced against Nils for several years--he was good at getting young sailors into big boat racing.

#75 Ike's Bay Commodore

Ike's Bay Commodore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rum, cigars -- not necessarily in that order.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

[quote name='Larry' timestamp='1309171702' post='3315389']
With several boats nearing the finish line, the boat in the center, nearest the camera, was Moonraker (35119). Her owner was Nils Muench. DYC. This was not a Mac race.

Posted Image

I do believe this is from the One Tons held by Columbia Yacht Club July 1987. I think the boat in the lead is another Beneteau owned by Al Henning (R.I.P) named Poltergeist. His spinakers where always white with just a little red at the shoulders. I did enough time looking up at them whilst trimming them.

#76 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

Are you one of these guys? Poultergeist at Columbia docks, pre-Mac.

Posted Image

#77 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

Poultergeist. This main reminded me of the Hancock Building. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#78 Ike's Bay Commodore

Ike's Bay Commodore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Unfortunately I missed that one but thanks for posting the pic's. I know alot of the former crew monitor this post so they will enjoy! Thanks Larry for sharing ALL of the great photo's!!!

#79 Mike & Mike

Mike & Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Fair Lady was the first of the Benateau 1-Tons to arrive in Detrioit, Moonraker was the second. They both raced against Poltergeist and Coyote at the '87 NA's.

#80 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

13 people members crew to drive Poltergeist ..... Hum, may be cause too much women on board ?

#81 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:40 PM

Coyote is right now at Marseille vieux port and never went in US.... as far as i know May be a sister name ? (I'm talkin about the grey then black painted1Ton Beneteau, AC with B.Troubl้, 84)

Architects : Berret, Fauroux, Finot :)

[quote name='Brian' timestamp='1309279344' post='3317097']
[quote name='hawaiiseadog' timestamp='1309216212' post='3316194']

#82 steady1

steady1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Larry,
Great pics of "The ghost".
Great memeries of racine with Al and Dana - they are greatly missed.
The 3 peson stack is Jerry, Fred and John.

#83 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

[quote name='chorus1' timestamp='1309300828' post='3317506']
Coyote is right now at Marseille vieux port and never went in US.... as far as i know May be a sister name ? (I'm talkin about the grey then black painted1Ton Beneteau, AC with B.Troubl้, 84)

Architects : Berret, Fauroux, Finot :)

attched coyote AC 84

Attached Files

#84 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Posted Image

I do believe this is from the One Tons held by Columbia Yacht Club July 1987. I think the boat in the lead is another Beneteau owned by Al Henning (R.I.P) named Poltergeist. His spinakers where always white with just a little red at the shoulders. I did enough time looking up at them whilst trimming them.

Indeed this is the '87 NA's. I think the lead boat w/red shouldered kite is Amazing Potato owned by Peggy & Lyn Comfort (the transom is J/N-ish). Also the Spuds had UK sails while the Geese had Sobstadts until the boat was purchased by Robin who then went w/UK.

#85 csmovi

csmovi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

Posted Image

Indeed this is the '87 NA's. I think the lead boat w/red shouldered kite is Amazing Potato owned by Peggy & Lyn Comfort (the transom is J/N-ish). Also the Spuds had UK sails while the Geese had Sobstadts until the boat was purchased by Robin who then went w/UK.

Now we need the shot of Sudpackt. (sp?) and all that camo!

#86 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

This was Joel Billens, regular crew aboard Al Henning's Poultergeist. Great guy.
I read that Joel passed away some months ago. RIP, Joel.

Posted Image

#87 hawaiiseadog

hawaiiseadog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

RE COYOTE

There must be a sister ship in Europe. We go past COYOTE every Friday here in Hawaii at the Ali Wai Fuel Dock. There is no black on it though?!?! My understanding is that she came straight from San Francisco to Hawaii.

Third attachment is racing in San Francisco.....

Forth shot is very recent in Hawaii.....

cheers!

Attached Files

#88 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Coyote AC 84...... oops, AC was in odd years!

I believe there were 2 Coyote B้n้teau One Tonners.

Was one of them branded as Xeryus when Bruno sank her at the Needles during RTI? Which year was that?

#89 steady1

steady1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:04 AM

This was Joel Billens, regular crew aboard Al Henning's Poultergeist. Great guy.

Posted Image

Some of the old Poltergiest crew are dropping Joel off at Greys Reef this years Mac, racing on Hasten.
I'll need to have a Miller lite for Tom and a Becks for Joel.
Fair winds

#90 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

Was one of them branded as Xeryus when Bruno sank her at the Needles during RTI? Which year was that?

Xeryus hit the wreck at the Needles in 1985 RTI.

There where 2 Beneteau 1 tonners in the UK AC trials that year, one became Phoenix after E Warden Owen and crew sank Graham Walkers Indulgence and the other was Fever ( on which I was foredeck)

#91 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

Phoenix started life as Rubber Duck. Not sure what happened with her after the charter. I did the 85 trials with the Sherriff of Nottingham on the Frers 41 Charrua, then sold my soul to the Irish.

#92 Larry

Larry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Black Star. M. Wood, Miami FL. Cook 40. 1984 SORC Class E, rated IOR 30.4. St. Petersburg to Boca Grande and Return, near finish.

Posted Image

#93 Ike's Bay Commodore

Ike's Bay Commodore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

Some of the old Poltergiest crew are dropping Joel off at Greys Reef this years Mac, racing on Hasten.
I'll need to have a Miller lite for Tom and a Becks for Joel.
Fair winds

Don't forget a Miller Lite for Al and once we hit the island mucho Monte Gay & Tonics for Dana!

#94 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

There where 2 Beneteau 1 tonners in the UK AC trials that year, one became Phoenix after E Warden Owen and crew sank Graham Walkers Indulgence and the other was Fever ( on which I was foredeck)

The Xeryus which sank was a Farr one-Ton (of that time's OT rating). don't remember if it was built by Beneteau or Jeanneau one-off dept. Might well have been Beneteau though.

#95 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

WE definitively talk about the same boat.
Here is a photo in Marseille probabely 2007...
Probaably the boat has been originately repainted and sent to Frisco ???

Cheers

RE COYOTE

There must be a sister ship in Europe. We go past COYOTE every Friday here in Hawaii at the Ali Wai Fuel Dock. There is no black on it though?!?! My understanding is that she came straight from San Francisco to Hawaii.

Third attachment is racing in San Francisco.....

Forth shot is very recent in Hawaii.....

cheers!

Attached Files

#96 spennig

spennig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

The Xeryus which sank was a Farr one-Ton (of that time's OT rating). don't remember if it was built by Beneteau or Jeanneau one-off dept. Might well have been Beneteau though.

Xeryus was a two tonner (c.43ft), afaik Beneteau one off dept, and it was the 1989 RTI. I remember it well, we (Phantom) were quiet close behind them and saw them hit the wreck. The helmsman (David Barrow) asked "where the fuck do I go now". The answer was easy, "inside". Once the position of the wreck was known, getting out of the tide was so much easier.

#97 Spar Wars

Spar Wars

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Racing, Racing<br /><br />Olson 30

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

1976 Contention 33 3/4ton..Originally "Patriot". Peterson design. This picture is while it was mine: Spar Wars I on Lake Charlevoix. Boat had some good race history around Block Island. Other names: American Blue

Second picture @ Ugotta Regatta in Harbor Springs. 1992?

Boat loved waves...but a handful downwind...the IOR death rolls! My Olson 30 is much more fun!

Saw a sistership in Portugal a couple of years ago. Now that is a tight ass!

Attached Files

#98 nunocrzt

nunocrzt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi all,

I have been following these threads for months nows, and all I can say is they're fabulous. As a matter of fact I know the green contention. It's called Contentious spirit and there is also a sister ship to it: it's called Skulmartin and it's at the moment at Madeira. The last did lots of regattas back then but if I recall it correctly didn't have great results.

Here's a pic of Skulmartin and two more from which I know nothing:

Attached File  DSCF1337.JPG   495.25K   55 downloads

Attached File  DSCF1338.JPG   433.41K   54 downloads

#99 chorus1

chorus1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

Good memory Spennig !!!

Attached a photo of the 2 Ton Xeryus B.Farr design.
I remembered too that for her second AC Coyote was renamed Xeryus and so painted black according Givenchy black logo. Some changes were done too to optimize rating (Less sail area, shorter waterline, new rudder..)
Attached photo XeruysOneTon

Xeryus was a two tonner (c.43ft), afaik Beneteau one off dept, and it was the 1989 RTI. I remember it well, we (Phantom) were quiet close behind them and saw them hit the wreck. The helmsman (David Barrow) asked "where the fuck do I go now". The answer was easy, "inside". Once the position of the wreck was known, getting out of the tide was so much easier.
[/quote]

Attached Files

#100 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

Jackpot above looks like a Ron Holland Nicholson 33 to me? Sold one to Fang back in the day.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users