Team Yaching Australia"s Future,

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
232 replies to this topic

#1 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

Team Yachting Australia will hold a press conference with in the next couple days A waiting Peter G Bakers Return , One Quick fact The Golden Gate Yacht Club Has Said They will Let Us re,enter ,Once a boat was ready for us Fact Is all the boats are sold something they did not let on to before we flew to San Francisco , There are a couple mitigating facts I can not divulge at this time . That involve some political factors that held up one a Major Corporate Sponsorship Program . These supposed Sailing Leaders will Be given a couple days to get there acts together before , The team goes Public, Mean while meetings with ACEM continue about Venue in Sydney , And are very promising at this time , A world series event in Sydney would be world class and Show case the countrys greatest asset Sailing .Thank you for all your continued
support , Media at AUS AC34 . Go to our facebook page and tell us why we should be in the Americas cup ,Were down but not out voice your support .

iSailmedia.com

http://isailsl.blogspot.com/

http://ausac34.com.au/Watch_Australia's_Challenge

http://twitter.com/#!/TEAMAUSAC34

Posted Image http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRxDzL63Yw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMKuRC44hkI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzDiZgs6BJI

Team Yachting Australia's Facebook page .

#2 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:24 AM

Team Yachting Australia will hold a press conference with in the next couple days A waiting Peter G Bakers Return , One Quick fact The Golden Gate Yacht Club Has Said They will Let Us re,enter ,Once a boat was ready for us Fact Is all the boats are sold something they did not let on to before we flew to San Francisco , There are a couple mitigating facts I can not divulge at this time . That involve some political factors that held up one a Major Corporate Sponsorship Program . These supposed Sailing Leaders will Be given a couple days to get there acts together before , The team goes Public, Mean while meetings with ACEM continue about Venue in Sydney , And are very promising at this time , A world series event in Sydney would be world class and Show case the countrys greatest asset Sailing .Thank you for all your continued
support , Media at AUS AC34 . Go to our facebook page and tell us why we should be in the Americas cup ,Were down but not out voice your support .

If Australia (or UK or Canada) were to pull together a challenger organization, I think GGYC would be inclined to accept them. Likely the later the entry more the evidence of solid funding.

Good luck.

Be fun to have the Ozzies in it.

#3 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

iSailmedia.com

http://isailsl.blogspot.com/

http://ausac34.com.au/Watch_Australia's_Challenge

http://twitter.com/#!/TEAMAUSAC34

Posted Image http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRxDzL63Yw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMKuRC44hkI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzDiZgs6BJI

Team Yachting Australia's Facebook page .

Perhaps spelling the thread correctly might give you a bit more credibility?

#4 Gav Parker

Gav Parker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

If this guy has any official role in the Australian challenge then spare us the pain now and refuse our entry....

That's just embarrassing...

#5 BlueBoy

BlueBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

If this guy has any official role in the Australian challenge then spare us the pain now and refuse our entry....

That's just embarrassing...

+1. If it were legit I would have thought their website would have an update on it, not just an anonymous post.

#6 Just Bob

Just Bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Well Mr thetruth,

You might get more credibility if you update your user info and provide your country of choice.

#7 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Well Mr thetruth,

You might get more credibility if you update your user info and provide your country of choice.

And your point is?

#8 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

Have to excuse my poor spelling of Yachting . .. Its kind of ironic includes a hint to what we are speaking about here. ... As it was late and a long day that one slipped by , I am from the Untied States , I support ever country's efforts to expand and build sailing events,from the elderly to new youth programs to those less fortunate . ,,,, What a persons country of choice have to do with it ???You have just love these grammaticality correct forum police . Ive always gotten a kick out these people that totaly disregard the subject to take the time to point out the missing T. ..........

#9 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Have to excuse my poor spelling of Yachting . .. Its kind of ironic includes a hint to what we are speaking about here. ... As it was late and a long day that one slipped by , I am from the Untied States , I support ever country's efforts to expand and build sailing events,from the elderly to new youth programs to those less fortunate . ,,,, What a persons country of choice have to do with it ???You have just love these grammaticality correct forum police . Ive always gotten a kick out these people that totaly disregard the subject to take the time to point out the missing T. ..........

Your press releases are a joke. Back in May you said

This week (9th May) our team has finalised our negotiations with ACRM in relation to the purchase of the team AC45. Team Yachting Australia Ltd will receive AC45 boat number nine and we expect delivery on or about the 30th of May.

Now you say there is no AC45.

Stick to sailing on Second Life

#10 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Don't kill the messenger I didn't write it .At that time that was the plan . If you read the thread you'd realize we had a little stonewalling derail that date .But thanks for your interest .

#11 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

There are better details in this quite encouraging piece

http://wwos.ninemsn....aspx?id=8262141

#12 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

Actually, that does sound a lot better. Still, the whole situation kind of speaks to a level of incompetence. Amazing that this issue had not even come up until that time around May 28 and June 2. Unless they get MUCH MUCH more professional, this seems to have disaster written all over it, if they do continue forward.

#13 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Actually, that does sound a lot better. Still, the whole situation kind of speaks to a level of incompetence. Amazing that this issue had not even come up until that time around May 28 and June 2. Unless they get MUCH MUCH more professional, this seems to have disaster written all over it, if they do continue forward.

Ask Yachting Australia What been the hold up they were aware of the deadline dates and still did nothing, Now that its in the public eye oh now there in great support . , trying to plan a team and a Venue at the same time is a huge task . Yachting Queensland is behind us one hundred percent . You think a Name the team name is really the holding point here. We provided them with more information and files and details it would make your head spin ,. Its About money mate Money ,,,,,,,,,What they want and what we wont give them..... You think if this was the USA we let US sailing Dictate a Americas cup campaign even though it would be welcome seeing there a great contributor to Sailing programs , By the way the Teams a Not for profit venture, Makes thinks little harder . We dont have billonare financing nor have we asked the government to hold our hand , This a program designed to benefit Youth Sailing in Australia ......has the premiers backing . Is Yachting Australia bigger than The Premier and if so why . ....You want to help support our continued efforts . Be positive think of the benefits Sailing in whole will receive in Australia .Politics has no place in Sailing and should be discouraged at all times .....

Attached Files

#14 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

Ask Yachting Australia What been the hold up they were aware of the deadline dates and still did nothing, Now that its in the public eye oh now there in great support . , trying to plan a team and a Venue at the same time is a huge task . Yachting Queensland is behind us one hundred percent . You think a Name the team name is really the holding point here. We provided them with more information and files and details it would make your head spin ,. Its About money mate Money ,,,,,,,,,What they want and what we wont give them..... You think if this was the USA we let US sailing Dictate a Americas cup campaign even though it would be welcome seeing there a great contributor to Sailing programs , By the way the Teams a Not for profit venture, Makes thinks little harder . We dont have billonare financing nor have we asked the government to hold our hand , This a program designed to benefit Youth Sailing in Australia ......has the premiers backing . Is Yachting Australia bigger than The Premier and if so why . ....You want to help support our continued efforts . Be positive think of the benefits Sailing in whole will receive in Australia .Politics has no place in Sailing and should be discouraged at all times .....

A few things. Part of being professional, and you better damned well get used to the fact that being professional is important when you are trying to secure funding for a $50+ Million project, is dealing with politics, having foresight regarding the obstacles you face, hitting them early, and presenting yourself as if you are going to be a success. Keep your web-page up, make it look dynamic and active, and current. You are not likely to convince sponsors to give you money if you don't do these things.

Further, if you are going to post as "we", as though you are part of TEAM Australia, or whatever name they are going to go by, you better start presenting yourself more as a professional. Edit your posts, or have someone else edit your posts. Since the TEAM Australia web page is not kept up, someone researching the Aussie effort while considering doing some sponsorship is going to Google around, and try and see what is being said about the effort. If the only recent things they can come up with are some error-ridden posts by someone claiming to be part of the "we", it does not look good.

By the way, as much as any other potential challenger, I want to see the Aussies get into it, and I see no reason why a well-put-together team could not secure the funding an make a good run at the cup. I'm pulling for ya.

#15 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

by RG at here

All might not be over for Team Australia, which was believed to be a definite starter.

Sail-World's Australian Editor spoke to team principal, Peter Baker: 'We have had a delay in financing but we expect to secure boat 11. We are down but we are not out.'

Yachting Australia CEO Phil Jones says 'we received documentation very late from the Team Australia syndicate, however we have forwarded the supporting letters they sought. We are very keen to see an Australian America's Cup challenge and ahead of that believe the sight of AC45's racing on Sydney Harbour will bring a lot of corporate support to the Australian challenger. '

The Australian approach is a two pronged one - to both mount a full America's Cup Challenge, and to host a round of the America's Cup World Series on Sydney Harbour.

#16 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

by RG at here

All might not be over for Team Australia, which was believed to be a definite starter.

Sail-World's Australian Editor spoke to team principal, Peter Baker: 'We have had a delay in financing but we expect to secure boat 11. We are down but we are not out.'

Yachting Australia CEO Phil Jones says 'we received documentation very late from the Team Australia syndicate, however we have forwarded the supporting letters they sought. We are very keen to see an Australian America's Cup challenge and ahead of that believe the sight of AC45's racing on Sydney Harbour will bring a lot of corporate support to the Australian challenger. '

The Australian approach is a two pronged one - to both mount a full America's Cup Challenge, and to host a round of the America's Cup World Series on Sydney Harbour.

Great news. Hope it is not just smoke.

#17 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

"We expect to secure boat 11"

Sounds confident!

#18 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sounds confident!

I keep saying it, but it's true. The investment to run a real AC campaign is not that big of a deal if sponsors see where the AC and the ACWS is actually something that is viable for broadcasting. And also, as I've said, if the Tour du France is viable for broadcast the way Rivals does, then I think the AC can most definitely be. Australia is a natural for at least one AC team. Nation is plenty big, has sailing heritage/history, the talent, the marine construction potential, the venue, and the rivalry (ETNZ). If they can get into the ACWS with a boat, I think they can make it.

#19 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

Sounds confident!

Didn't I read somewhere yesterday that only 10 were being built?

#20 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

If that's an example of your presentations then I suspect you will be lucky to get $1 of any sponsor.

#21 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

Yes.

We don't know, and maybe the organizers don't know either, if boats past ten will be ordered and built.

They imposed a June 10 deadline for orders, so we think (guess by the teams listed) that only the ten already built are all they will ever have to build, for AC34/ACWS purposes anyway..

But the AUS article suggests they have been green-lighted to order an eleventh boat, if they do it soon enough.

There will be the already-built ten in Cascais; sounds like AUS has been told they could get an eleventh to San Diego in November; should be plenty of time for the build and for the shipping. Past that boat, I will be surprised if any additional wings get built by Core, they could be full-on into their AC72's for a while starting soon.

#22 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yes.

We don't know, and maybe the organizers don't know either, if boats past ten will be ordered and built.

They imposed a June 10 deadline for orders, so we think (guess by the teams listed) that only the ten already built are all they will ever have to build, for AC34/ACWS purposes anyway..

But the AUS article suggests they have been green-lighted to order an eleventh boat, if they do it soon enough.

There will be the already-built ten in Cascais; sounds like AUS has been told they could get an eleventh to San Diego in November; should be plenty of time for the build and for the shipping. Past that boat, I will be surprised if any additional wings get built by Core, they could be full-on into their AC72's for a while starting soon.

RC said on Monday that anyone who has wanted to order has ordered. Cooksons is standing by

#23 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Yes.

Fact Is yes, there are boats being built at this time . I was told three more. One design boats demand that the replacement parts come from Core, If this weekend any indication they will be very busy building wing and hull replacement , Secondly Im sure there at least one team wants a Second boat , We were told hull eleven , So hull eleven it Is dont belive the boat will be ready by Cascais, Plymouth maybe . Why rush at this point is our thinking now , ..Shipping dates are problem these days. Many ships cancelled , Thanks for your positive responses.

#24 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

Why 'three more'?

One for AUS, a second boat for someone, and.. ?

#25 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

Why 'three more'?

All4One?

#26 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

..You want to help support our continued efforts . Be positive think of the benefits Sailing in whole will receive in Australia .Politics has no place in Sailing and should be discouraged at all times .....

Love the boat graphics. A nice break from the black and red straight jacket.

#27 Catalina

Catalina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

Why 'three more'?

All4One?

I'd ask Seb Col, but he's not returning my phone calls ;)

#28 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

Yes.

Fact Is yes, there are boats being built at this time . I was told three more. One design boats demand that the replacement parts come from Core, If this weekend any indication they will be very busy building wing and hull replacement , Secondly Im sure there at least one team wants a Second boat , We were told hull eleven , So hull eleven it Is dont belive the boat will be ready by Cascais, Plymouth maybe . Why rush at this point is our thinking now , ..Shipping dates are problem these days. Many ships cancelled , Thanks for your positive responses.

For the love of fuck, please learn some proper grammar and punctuation, or at least get someone that has a firm grasp on them proof read your posts before pushing the "Add Reply" button.

#29 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

Yes.

For the love of fuck, please learn some proper grammar and punctuation, or at least get someone that has a firm grasp on them proof read your posts before pushing the "Add Reply" button.

:lol:

You sound like me. Whenever anyone makes news from my home state, it seems to always be in the nature of getting killed while trying to screw a cow, or some other equally demented act. "Why the hell did this have to come from Oregon?!?!?!"

Really, Winged seems to be meaning well, but he really does need to edit his posts.

#30 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

I don't know if there sold I was just told a couple weeks ago that's what they were working on . Like i said before second boat teams had to wait till the deadline and then could Order another boat , I belive there was a deadline before that , I can t remember what that was It actually sated one boat teams would take president over a second boat for a team , I've read Today All for one Wants in And would try and make plymouth , If the boats are finshed by the ends of the month I see this possible , Again It depends on shipping dates of course, and they will of course need spares. I know theres a lot parts on current ship heading North ,

#31 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

This thread can't be serious. Somebody (possibly Snaggy's brother) posting from US about an unlikely Aus challenge that he is supposedly a part of, and he/she is barely literate, or still in primary school.

#32 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:57 AM

I agree, but some information is certainly better than some of the wild speculation that takes place here regarding the teams.

Winged - criticism aside, thanks for keeping us informed. Many here want to see Australia in this event, and not to worry, I don't think too many potential Australian sponsors post here.

#33 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

I agree, but some information is certainly better than some of the wild speculation that takes place here regarding the teams.

Winged - criticism aside, thanks for keeping us informed. Many here want to see Australia in this event, and not to worry, I don't think too many potential Australian sponsors post here.

Wait just a Goddamned minute!!! On Sailing Anarchy's AC board???

#34 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

I believe spelled correctly it's "God Damned" ;)

#35 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

Don't kill the messenger I didn't write it .At that time that was the plan . If you read the thread you'd realize we had a little stonewalling derail that date .But thanks for your interest .

Geez, that MSN article sounds like you guys had some major stonewalling happening:

"Baker felt YA had not responded quickly enough to their request for endorsement and they had insufficient time to prepare new documents after being asked by YA to change the name of the syndicate.

YA directors expressed some concern about the TYA name, believing it was too similar to their own organisation.

YA chief executive officer Phil Jones said his organisation hadn't been aware the syndicate was operating under the Team Yachting Australia name until a media release containing it went out on May 28 and that their first meeting with Baker was not until June 2."

So the national governing body becomes aware on the 28th of May of the team's name... 4 days later both parties sit down and YA requests the team changes it's name (which is a pretty good turn around time for organising a meeting with national administrators). 16 days later the www.ausac34.com.au website still refers to "Team Yachting Australia" and the governing body is the one stonewalling? Ayuh - that's clear as mud to me.

#36 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:25 AM

I believe spelled correctly it's "God Damned" ;)

I was trying to speak hick, but I think I got that wrong, too. I believe that is "Gaddamned". :)

#37 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:02 AM

Geez, that MSN article sounds like you guys had some major stonewalling happening:

"Baker felt YA had not responded quickly enough to their request for endorsement and they had insufficient time to prepare new documents after being asked by YA to change the name of the syndicate.

YA directors expressed some concern about the TYA name, believing it was toohttp://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup?blend=3&ob=5#p/u/29/PtY4w44estw http:// similar to their own organisation.

YA chief executive officer Phil Jones said his organisation hadn't been aware the syndicate was operating under the Team Yachting Australia name until a media release containing it went out on May 28 and that their first meeting with Baker was not until June 2."

So the national governing body becomes aware on the 28th of May of the team's name... 4 days later both parties sit down and YA requests the team changes it's name (which is a pretty good turn around time for organising a meeting with national administrators). 16 days later the www.ausac34.com.au website still refers to "Team Yachting Australia" and the governing body is the one stonewalling? Ayuh - that's clear as mud to me.

Australia's Challenge for the CupFrom: AmericasCup | Feb 21, 2011 | 2,934 views Team Australia comprises a mix of experiences straddling technical backgrounds, business skills and passionate sailing enthusiasts. The team's vision is to create a structure that will allow Australia to have an ongoing competitive presence in America's Cup competition Guess they missed this in February of this year .Only Austrlian team I know I work for that tested the boat , Guess the Video wasnt reviewed well . National governing body .. Has a team In Americas Cup !!!There worried about a name. With a deadline like that looming would you? , would you jeopardize being in the opening all for a name ? Even when your were made aware of it . Clearly you didnt understand my first post and I dont blame you was written after another fourteen hour day , fact is it was never about the name folks ,,,,, Thanks again to all supporting the teams efforts ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtY4w44estw

#38 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:17 AM

Great video - not sure how I missed it but that's the first time I've seen it.

Whatever the name issues are I consider them a speed bump, and hope that build # 11 progresses smoothly and ahead of schedule.

Thanks much for the post, and I wouldn't expect the 14 hour days to subside.

Go Australia !!

#39 Cobra 524

Cobra 524

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:57 AM

I've always thought that "Team Yachting Australia" was one of the worst ideas for a name ever...

With the rich heritage of national team name in other sports it is insulting that more thought wasn't put into that. We have the Kangaroos, the Wallabies, the Socceroos, the Kookaburras, the Opals... (sorry for those outside Oz but these names mean a lot to aussies) I'm not suggesting we start calling them the Lame Ducks (the haven't broken a wing yet) but there has to be a better name!

#40 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

sadly

team hairy arsed wombat

probably won't make the cut

#41 Cobra 524

Cobra 524

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

It'll probably end up "Insert foreign sponsor name here" Team Australia, becasue any time the kiwi's have a good idea we pinch it and then say it was our's!

#42 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

This syndicate needs a serious injection of multihull experience and talent. There are a couple with multihull credentials but the rest......

I don't see the next James Spithill in this group.

#43 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

This syndicate needs a serious injection of multihull experience and talent. There are a couple with multihull credentials but the rest......

You don't see the next Spithill until you see him. Be great if another Syd Fischer stepped up and funded Young Australia 2010. Same story for Iain Murray.

In 1999, at 19 years of age, Spithill was appointed skipper of the Syd Fischer's Australian America's Cup entry Young Australia 2000. Sailing "the oldest boat with the youngest crew and the smallest budget," Spithill quickly earned the respect of the more senior skippers as he led the campaign with a dignity that belied their sub-par performance.

A lesson for all the struggling challengers to use AC34 to develop their home grown talent.

#44 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

Its About money mate Money ,,,,,,,,,What they want and what we wont give them..... You think if this was the USA we let US sailing Dictate a Americas cup campaign even though it would be welcome seeing there a great contributor to Sailing programs

So just to clarify, YA are holding the campaign to ransom by demanding money from you?

#45 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

I think there is a fair bit of bullshit going on here. For starters, they wouldn't need anything from YA, except maybe they are trying to get money from them. They do seem to be using the YA name without their permission.

Guaranteed that writing bad things about the potential sponsor is not the best way to get sponsorship.

#46 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:21 AM

This has car accident written all over it. To echo the comments already outlined, the lack of credibility and professionalism is frightening. Why would anyone fund a project where the simplest and most straight forward communications are a mess.

Are we talking about the Queensland Premier, Anna Bligh? Or does this actually mean the Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gillard? Given the event is proposed to be held on Sydney Harbour, surely there should be some mention of the NSW Premier, Bazza?

*facepalm*

Mex

#47 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

has the premiers backing .

Politics has no place in Sailing and should be discouraged at all times .....

Uh huh... conflicted much?

#48 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

You don't see the next Spithill until you see him. Be great if another Syd Fischer stepped up and funded Young Australia 2010. Same story for Iain Murray.

In 1999, at 19 years of age, Spithill was appointed skipper of the Syd Fischer's Australian America's Cup entry Young Australia 2000. Sailing "the oldest boat with the youngest crew and the smallest budget," Spithill quickly earned the respect of the more senior skippers as he led the campaign with a dignity that belied their sub-par performance.

A lesson for all the struggling challengers to use AC34 to develop their home grown talent.

Totally agree, and great post.

The great wisdom of most of the posters here expect to see a one and done AC success to consider a campaign today "worthy". Their horizon for success stops at the end of their nose, and their best chance of winning anything is playing the lottery. Good luck.

High level racing, the AC, or the olympics, takes years of experience and failures to learn how to effectively compete.

A classic story is one of a Star sailor that raced something like 14 or 15 years before he won his first regatta. He then went on to win the Star worlds by building his own boat and perfecting everything.

I guess most here eat at McDonalds too often and live in the world of instant gratification, which just doesn't apply to this level of sailing.

It might be fun to poke around here and throw criticism out right and left with little if any experience sailing at this level, but go study history and success to really understand the commitment, time and experience it takes to win the AC. Full credit to teams like Korea and China for recognizing this and forging ahead knowing the level of experience their competition has. The AC is anything but a one and done game - it takes a long term commitment to win.

SKM looks like a total loser in comparison with his lame excuses, and he had the makings of a good team.

#49 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

Totally agree, and great post.

The great wisdom of most of the posters here expect to see a one and done AC success to consider a campaign today "worthy". Their horizon for success stops at the end of their nose, and their best chance of winning anything is playing the lottery. Good luck.

High level racing, the AC, or the olympics, takes years of experience and failures to learn how to effectively compete.

A classic story is one of a Star sailor that raced something like 14 or 15 years before he won his first regatta. He then went on to win the Star worlds by building his own boat and perfecting everything.

I guess most here eat at McDonalds too often and live in the world of instant gratification, which just doesn't apply to this level of sailing.

It might be fun to poke around here and throw criticism out right and left with little if any experience sailing at this level, but go study history and success to really understand the commitment, time and experience it takes to win the AC. Full credit to teams like Korea and China for recognizing this and forging ahead knowing the level of experience their competition has. The AC is anything but a one and done game - it takes a long term commitment to win.

SKM looks like a total loser in comparison with his lame excuses, and he had the makings of a good team.

What you wrote is totally arrelevent to this thread. The OP's posts are difficult to read, almost illegible (and I'm not the only one to notice that), and the knee jerk reactions of some involved make this "challenge" a dubious affair. Their approach so far will not attract too many sponsors.

Way to go! abuse the people you most rely on. Teenagers do that.

#50 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

Stolen from Sail-World just moments ago:

Australian Syndicate head Peter Baker in San Francisco for the talks with the America’s Cup Event Management group had initially blamed his funding dilemma on Yachting Australia, the peak Australia Sailing authority, but Baker upon his return to Australia today has backed away from that claim.

He confirmed that there had been a misunderstanding of the documentation received two months earlier, that advised of the need to obtain a supporting letter from the national authority so that the Australian Sport Foundation could allow personal donations to the Australian challenge to be made tax deductible.

In a report published on Sail-World.com on May 26th, the Australian syndicate previously calling itself Team Australia, unveiled the name Team Yachting Australia.

As a result Phil Jones the CEO of Yachting Australia contacted Baker expressing concern that the Australian syndicate name was an issue and at that same time, received a request for a supporting letter.

Jones said yesterday 'We received documentation very late from the Team Yachting Australia syndicate, however we have forwarded the supporting letter they sought on the proviso the syndicate changed their name and supplied their business plan and other documents that would confirm their credentials.

‘We are very keen to see an Australian America's Cup challenge and ahead of that believe the sight of AC45's racing on Sydney Harbour will bring a lot of corporate support to the Australian challenger.'

Soooo.... Our national governing body is not out to screw the team by stonewalling, and they're not demanding cash either? I'm glad we could clear this up. And no, I don't work for YA. I don't have an interest in YA, financial or otherwise.

#51 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

Australian Syndicate head Peter Baker in San Francisco for the talks with the America’s Cup Event Management group had initially blamed his funding dilemma on Yachting Australia, the peak Australia Sailing authority, but Baker upon his return to Australia today has backed away from that claim.

He confirmed that there had been a misunderstanding of the documentation received two months earlier, that advised of the need to obtain a supporting letter from the national authority so that the Australian Sport Foundation could allow personal donations to the Australian challenge to be made tax deductible.

In a report published on Sail-World.com on May 26th, the Australian syndicate previously calling itself Team Australia, unveiled the name Team Yachting Australia.

As a result Phil Jones the CEO of Yachting Australia contacted Baker expressing concern that the Australian syndicate name was an issue and at that same time, received a request for a supporting letter.

Jones said yesterday 'We received documentation very late from the Team Yachting Australia syndicate, however we have forwarded the supporting letter they sought on the proviso the syndicate changed their name and supplied their business plan and other documents that would confirm their credentials.

‘We are very keen to see an Australian America's Cup challenge and ahead of that believe the sight of AC45's racing on Sydney Harbour will bring a lot of corporate support to the Australian challenger.'

Soooo.... Our national governing body is not out to screw the team by stonewalling, and they're not demanding cash either? I'm glad we could clear this up. And no, I don't work for YA. I don't have an interest in YA, financial or otherwise.

It looks like the syndicate did not bother to complete the paper work required to have donations tax deductable. then blamed YA for the hold up. Not very impressive.

#52 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

It looks like the syndicate did not bother to complete the paper work required to have donations tax deductable. then blamed YA for the hold up. Not very impressive.

Possibly there was some blame rashly apportioned, or possibly the complexity of the paperwork just sent them over the edge - I've known people who took 5+ years to convince the ATO and associated government bodies that they should qualify as a donation deductible organisation. Can we all just hug and agree that the ATO are cunts? Lol

#53 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Possibly there was some blame rashly apportioned, or possibly the complexity of the paperwork just sent them over the edge - I've known people who took 5+ years to convince the ATO and associated government bodies that they should qualify as a donation deductible organisation. Can we all just hug and agree that the ATO are cunts? Lol

You're not Paul Hogan in disguise are you?

#54 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Team Australia Official Press release as promised .

http://www.prlog.org...ut-not-out.html

#55 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

So why is all this emanating from New Jersey if it's an Australian challenge? A bit sus to me.

#56 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

http://isailsl.blogs...a-official.html see the orginal here .

#57 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

And here I am thinking that a Yacht (Yach?!) club needs to challenge...?

All other illegibility and weird stuff aside (PS don't do anything official from a .blogspot if you are serious, domains and hosting are cheap), surely the 'Notice of Challenge' should be on a yacht club letterhead with 'sub' supporters/financiers listed elsewhere.

Send the letter, the cheque, and supporting docs as required in the protocol, and keep the other shit out of the public eye. This ain't a small event, or small biccies we are talking. A little bit of appearance of knowing what you are doing goes a long way. You haven't even got to the hard bit yet (racing against Professional Teams) and already you look ordinary.

Get professional, talk the talk and walk the walk of a legitimate $50M campaign.

#58 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

A bit more to this thread than meets the eye.

PM to me from Winged - the OP.....

"You dont know half the story nor are we going to print it publicly . Isailmedia.comI is based in New Jersey on the Barneget Bay , A great Sailing and faction area as well as some of the best Surfing , just be assured the thread did what it was meant to put public pressure on the YA, .thanks for the interest . Were out here . "

Although YA do monitor SA, don't think for 1 minute that anything you did put pressure on them or got them to do anything different to what they intended to do. If you really are anything to do with the Aus challenge you are doing a bloody good job of repeling any possible donations.

When do we get told to send donations to an address in Nigeria?

#59 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

A bit more to this thread than meets the eye.

PM to me from Winged - the OP.....

"You dont know half the story nor are we going to print it publicly . Isailmedia.comI is based in New Jersey on the Barneget Bay , A great Sailing and faction area as well as some of the best Surfing , just be assured the thread did what it was meant to put public pressure on the YA, .thanks for the interest . Were out here . "

Although YA do monitor SA, don't think for 1 minute that anything you did put pressure on them or got them to do anything different to what they intended to do. If you really are anything to do with the Aus challenge you are doing a bloody good job of repeling any possible donations.

When do we get told to send donations to an address in Nigeria?

Sounds about right.

And...

Then the wheels fell off.

#60 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,635 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

OK. So this has sod all to do with AC34 and is all about bringing an ACWS event to Sydney. A worthy objective but not the same thing at all.

#61 blakie

blakie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

OK. So this has sod all to do with AC34 and is all about bringing an ACWS event to Sydney. A worthy objective but not the same thing at all.

which could be said about a bunch of other teams
china?
korea?
even TNZ
don't you think that part of their strategy is to showcase their country/marine industry
and so on

a thought...it ACM would have said earlier that the ACWS was just the 45s and no need to participate in AC34
you would have had a bunch of teams doing just that
and trying to get an event to their shores
kind of Extreme Series
but with the Cup / Louis Vuitton fan fare
which is quite different

the game was changed and that is why small teams can now participate...good ? bad ? hmmm not sure
wait and see how it all unfolds
but it is sure different

#62 BlueBoy

BlueBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

This has Wharro and a half arsed volvo campaign written all over it. Please not again . . . . . .

#63 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

There is one thing I don't understand. Why aren't the press releases posted on the team's official website?? http://www.ausac34.com.au/

#64 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,635 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

the game was changed and that is why small teams can now participate...good ? bad ? hmmm not sure

I don't see what's not to like about it. Some might say the AC tradition is being tarnished by no-money wannabes but I'm not big on tradition.

#65 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Amateur Hour. Pure and simple. And they are wanting to get BIG money from sponsors, who don't have the big money by accident, and most certainly have no interest in throwing money at groups that are so easily surprised by the little stuff.

#66 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

Amateur Hour. Pure and simple. And they are wanting to get BIG money from sponsors, who don't have the big money by accident, and most certainly have no interest in throwing money at groups that are so easily surprised by the little stuff.

End of the day, so what? Trying to organize an Australian AC34 challenge. A good cause. Don't see anyone else doing it. Maybe a white knight or two will step forward and we'll get another Young Australia 2000 in 2013. Australia has a great tradition in America's Cup history and should be part of AC4, the introduction of America's Cup to 21st century.

Even if they end up with the $20M "basic AC72" from Oracle/Mark Turner workshop, manned by future Jimmy Spithills and Iain Murrays like the original Young Australia 2000 AC campaign by Syd Fischer, it would be a great fun. Getting an early AC45 race in Sydney could be the spark that gets Australia into the race.

#67 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

End of the day, so what? Trying to organize an Australian AC34 challenge. A good cause. Don't see anyone else doing it. Maybe a white knight or two will step forward and we'll get another Young Australia 2000 in 2013. Australia has a great tradition in America's Cup history and should be part of AC4, the introduction of America's Cup to 21st century.

Even if they end up with the $20M "basic AC72" from Oracle/Mark Turner workshop, manned by future Jimmy Spithills and Iain Murrays like the original Young Australia 2000 AC campaign by Syd Fischer, it would be a great fun. Getting an early AC45 race in Sydney could be the spark that gets Australia into the race.

You should know me by now well enough to know I am really pulling for Australia to jump in. That said, I don't know this particular group from Jack, and have no particular interest in them to be the one. Frankly, they are not showing themselves to be doing a very good job. Like I said, if you want to play on this field (mega-million-dollar sponsorships, etc.), you better get used to the fact that you need to be professional, and you need to not let the little shit like getting the right forms filed, applications turned in, and conflicting team names derail your effort. Not exactly a good way to impress sponsors. Then, when the only information you get is from a few PRBlogs, error-ridden posts on message boards, and a couple of sail-mag interviews, with no updates on the team web-page in months, it leaves a lot more to be wanted. Glad they made the trip to SFO, despite not being involved in the party. Good on 'em. Hopefully, there is much more behind the scenes where true professionals really are impressing the right people, and these little issues are being handled much easier than they are being depicted here. But what we are seeing here is not exactly raising my confidence level that they will ever be able to do much. Maybe a little criticism of their efforts is what they need to get over the hump.

#68 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Frankly, they are not showing themselves to be doing a very good job.

But they are the ONLY one's who stepped up to "do the job" in Australia. It's kind of a lead, follow or get out of the way situation. We saw the same thing with the Canadian group trying to get Canada into the America's Cup. Lots of criticism for being amateurs and not being in the Oracle or Artemis "class" but so what? They are giving it a go and they are the only ones giving it a go, not like they are sucking the oxygen out of other efforts. Winged posted some info, got dissed for it and then his comments were confirmed in the sailing media. Just don't get all the negativity.

#69 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Posted Image

Suggests they have already achieved a non-profit legal status? Good progress if true.

Today's presser leaves the impression that securing an ACWS event in Sydney is key to kicking it all off. Even the AC45 purchase, is my guess.

#70 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Frankly, they are not showing themselves to be doing a very good job.

But they are the ONLY one's who stepped up to "do the job" in Australia. It's kind of a lead, follow or get out of the way situation. We saw the same thing with the Canadian group trying to get Canada into the America's Cup. Lots of criticism for being amateurs and not being in the Oracle or Artemis "class" but so what? They are giving it a go and they are the only ones giving it a go, not like they are sucking the oxygen out of other efforts. Winged posted some info, got dissed for it and then his comments were confirmed in the sailing media. Just don't get all the negativity.

But if they can't keep from tripping over their own feet, what does it all matter? Like I said, I hope THESE guys pull their shit together, because I'm fully aware no one else is lined up to fill the vacuum. But if Winged actually is part of the effort, and he is given multiple suggestions to clean up his posting, and still doesn't, why should we feel like they deserve any support? Maybe he is not at all part of the effort, and his posts are totally meaningless. Still, seems they are open to a little criticism for not thinking their name through, more, and getting things done way ahead of deadlines, rather than running into little problems, that become big problems, if they raise up at the last moment.

#71 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Posted Image

Suggests they have already achieved a non-profit legal status? Good progress if true.

Today's presser leaves the impression that securing an ACWS event in Sydney is key to kicking it all off. Even the AC45 purchase, is my guess.

Let's hope this is the case.

#72 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

That's not too much of an effort, actually (you know that ;) ).

#73 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

I think the point here is that (again, IF) they achieved it then it ~may~ be through Yachting Australia, which was an apparent holdup there for several weeks?

But yes, I know you were very efficient and effective at sorting the German laws out for AnChall :)

#74 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

I think the point here is that (again, IF) they achieved it then it ~may~ be through Yachting Australia, which was an apparent holdup there for several weeks?

But yes, I know you were very efficient and effective at sorting the German laws out for AnChall :)

It's more dedicated enthusiasts that are needed; legal requirements can easily be followed.

Back to the regular trolling program now...

#75 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

But if they can't keep from tripping over their own feet, what does it all matter?

So what! It's their feet. Only something good can come out of it, an Australian AC34 challenge. If some other Australian group or individual steps up with better prospects. No problem but these folks seem to be making an honest effort at a good cause. Good on them.

#76 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

But if they can't keep from tripping over their own feet, what does it all matter?

So what! It's their feet. Only something good can come out of it, an Australian AC34 challenge. If some other Australian group or individual steps up with better prospects. No problem but these folks seem to be making an honest effort at a good cause. Good on them.

Look, most around here would likely label me a sunshine pumper. But I don't feel the need to pump sunshine on an effort where one of the "we" can't even make a thread headline without botching it miserably, and where the organization was so unprepared that they waited til the 11th hour before realizing they had a name issue, and could not get proper forms filled, etc. That stuff should have been done months ago. They have opened themselves up to criticism, and if you go back in this thread, the criticism has increased due to them, and actually you supporting them, un-checked, rather than by me. I have been saying from the start that Australia most definitely should be in the AC. I'm glad they are making the effort, particularly since no one else seems to be. But I'm not going to sit there and say they are doing a good job, when they aren't. There is still time for them to get their show going, but I don't think it is reasonable to say that they hold no blame in their own ability to have been part of the party on Wednesday. They need to get their shit together, and for all we know, they may have. But Winged, in particular, here, needs to do a hell of a lot better job of presenting his case, if he is legit in the first place, because he is currently looking like a sock puppet for someone trying to sabotage their effort.

#77 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

But I don't feel the need to pump sunshine on an effort where one of the "we" can't even make a thread headline without botching it miserably, and where the organization was so unprepared that they waited til the 11th hour before realizing they had a name issue,

Again, so what? It has neither harmed nor hurt anyone including the AC34. One of their supporters answered the question posed on the forum of what happened to the Australian Challenge which was originally listed on the AC34 website. He answered and his answers was confirmed by the sailing media.

As far as "pumping sunshine" don't see anyone underestimating the work "Young Australia 2013" has in front of it to get to the starting line. On the other side, I do see a lot of folks "pumping darkness" with everything from netiquette bad manners of complaints about typo errors in online blogs to accusations of dishonesty (proven wrong by media stories). It's not like the complainers are disgruntled investors and have any skin in the game.

As for the Australian organizers efforts to get an AC45 race to Sydney to act as the sand in the oyster, Sydney certainly makes a LOT more sense than Portugal or UK which have no one trying to put together an America's Cup challenge. Plus Sydney is as spectacular as San Francisco for the crowd pleasing AC45's vs the nooks and crannies of Cascais and Plymouth.

#78 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

But I don't feel the need to pump sunshine on an effort where one of the "we" can't even make a thread headline without botching it miserably, and where the organization was so unprepared that they waited til the 11th hour before realizing they had a name issue,

Again, so what? It has neither harmed nor hurt anyone including the AC34. One of their supporters answered the question posed on the forum of what happened to the Australian Challenge which was originally listed on the AC34 website. He answered and his answers was confirmed by the sailing media.

As far as "pumping sunshine" don't see anyone underestimating the work "Young Australia 2013" has in front of it to get to the starting line. On the other side, I do see a lot of folks "pumping darkness" with everything from netiquette bad manners of complaints about typo errors in online blogs to accusations of dishonesty (proven wrong by media stories). It's not like the complainers are disgruntled investors and have any skin in the game.

As for the Australian organizers efforts to get an AC45 race to Sydney to act as the sand in the oyster, Sydney certainly makes a LOT more sense than Portugal or UK which have no one trying to put together an America's Cup challenge. Plus Sydney is as spectacular as San Francisco for the crowd pleasing AC45's vs the nooks and crannies of Cascais and Plymouth.

Nice cherry pick of my post. I answered the "so what?". I am not even close to "pumping darkness". I'm stating the obvious, and telling this guy, in particular, they need to pull their shit together, because image is everything when it comes to trying to secure mega Millions of $$$, and right now, their image looks like that of someone that can't do the little stuff, and they are at least a step behind the hurdles they face.

#79 GBR1

GBR1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster and no, my g/f isn't going to show you her tits:P

I come on here almost every day to catch up on what is going on in AC World, because if you cut through the idiots, this is the best source of AC news anywhere. However, I am breaking cover because I cannot stand by and read this rubbish about a team that isn't just a clusterfuck, but it has also damaged any chance of Australia getting a real challenge together.

Contrary to what EaglesPDX has written above, there was at least one other serious effort and it is probably fair to say there were in fact 2. The one that was public had the best small boat sailors in Australia lined up, including Darren Bundock. However, the way that "Team Yachting Australia" went about their business screwed it all up for the others. Going back over past posts, I see that this has already been reported on here in the distant past, but none of you seem to either remember or believe it.

The real issue is that this team couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. They have been a clusterfuck from day 1. All you have to do is look at the driving forces behind it. FFS. Everybody knows that the real reason why Adam South was sacked from his last job was for gross incompetence while Peter Baker's reputation is almost as bad. Go back and see what john.h, who is the commodore of the 18 foot skiff club in Sydney, said about him.

Now to the current events. They tried to hijack the Yachting Australia name, despite being warned not to. They have been trying to make out all sorts of official support, which simply was not there. In almost 6 months, they have failed to attract any meaningful sponsorship. However, to his credit, one individual (I believe it is Peter Baker) was willing to put up the cost of the AC45 himself. The only problem is that he doesn't really have that sort of money to throw away but realised that if the team has the right status, the money given to the team can be tax deductable. They only realised this at the last minute, which is when they contacted YA. How come they didn't know this before and get it sorted? Surely any team that is after money would have set themselves up properly from the start, particularly as they were approaching rich individuals as well as companies?

When they approached YA, they did nothing to smooth over the whole name issue and the YA guys had their backs up from the start. Because they knew of the people involved, YA were very nervous and refused to endorse the team without some documentary evidence that they really were viable. However, when asked, the team were unable to supply basic documents that one would have expected them to have - no business plan, no budget plan, no nothing. For the team to claim they didn't have enough time to prepare basic documents that they should have had in the first place is simply beyond belief. YA didn't want a world class presentation but simply some evidence of the seriousness of the team. If the documents had existed and proper plans had been made, it would have taken a day or two to format in a way that was satisfactory. They failed in this regard.

Then there is the issue of the team currently not having any credible sailors involved with the team. Sure, there are a couple of fairly talented teenagers but the team cannot afford any experienced sailors. In fact, I hear that their most experienced multi sailor effectively told them to get lost. After the events in SF, does anybody really want inexperienced youngsters let loose on a crowded startline with a weapon like an AC45? Sounds like Russian Roulette to me! When the team went to NZ to sail the AC45, there was a very good reason why they weren't allowed to helm and why they had minders the whole time. In a week of sailing, the ACRM boat crew didn't get enough confidence in the sailors! They simply took them for joy rides and photo opportunities.

So the big question is, who wants a team in the AC that has shown it is incompetent, that has no money, no sailors and who couldn't even keep a simple website up to date? Well, clearly not ACRM. Ian Murray will have known what was going on. It's interesting to note that the guys on 7, the 18 foot skiff he manages, were originally being talked of as part of the crew but pulled out before the team went to NZ. It's been said that they were warned off by Murray. I admit, however, this particular story is speculation, while the information above is not.

Finally, I should declare my agenda. Why should a Brit based 14,000 miles away from Sydney really care? Because a good friend of mine spent over 6 months trying to get a team together and these jokers screwed it up for him. My friend would never come on here and is far too much of a gentleman to comment on this in public. Somebody needed to post the truth on here because if, as some suggest, people to do with ACRM/Oracle/GGYC do read this forum, they need to know they have done the right thing keeping these jokers away from the Cup.

To those of you who post the good stuff on here, keep up the fantastic job. To the trolls, get lost :D

#80 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

What's the skinny on Ludde's (sp?) early involvement and subsequent hand off?

#81 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

What's the skinny on Ludde's (sp?) early involvement and subsequent hand off?

and Nev Wittey was mentioned earlier as well.

#82 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

Dude...I think you just sunk the whole damn carrier group with that post, not just a single battleship! Very good first post. Now kindly Fuck Off :-P

#83 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Could someone please give us a damned Australian challenge!

#84 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Sure, there are a couple of fairly talented teenagers but the team cannot afford any experienced sailors.

Wouldn't be named Jimmy Spithill and Iain Murray? Those were the names of some of the "fairly talented teenagers" that sailed in Young Australia 2000 by Syd Fischer. Seemed to work out well to have a team of "fairly talented teenagers".

#85 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

Could someone please give us a damned Australian challenge!

Lol, Well said!

#86 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

Sure, there are a couple of fairly talented teenagers but the team cannot afford any experienced sailors.

Wouldn't be named Jimmy Spithill and Iain Murray? Those were the names of some of the "fairly talented teenagers" that sailed in Young Australia 2000 by Syd Fischer. Seemed to work out well to have a team of "fairly talented teenagers".

Iain Murray is a bit older than that.... like, about 30 years older.

#87 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

Actually, those accusations of dishonesty came from someone who purports to be part of the campaign, and were levelled at our national governing body... Support/love for YA varies from sailor to sailor, but they have some damned fine and hardworking people there, and to climb online and claim that they're trying to shake the campaign down for cash is a pretty dick move.

In fact, it's a move I'd expect from a 7 year old. "Hey, you know those YA guys? They're.... ummm... dicks. So, do you want to be friends?"

#88 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Iain Murray is a bit older than that.... like, about 30 years older.

Murray like Spithill credits Fischer with giving him his start in the America's Cup.

#89 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

Well if it helps relax anyone, he does mention that a friend felt like he was jerked around, so the 'attack' can maybe be attributed mostly to that?

It's been for a while like you just wish someone would bang some heads together. IM might be the guy to do it, I sure hope ~somebody~ does it, soon. Australia has some of the coolest racers around. Good economy too.

I heard the end of a snippet on NPR radio just yesterday, something about how Australia wants to step up on the world stage of sports?

#90 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

Wrong again.

Iain Murray was born in '58 and started sailing 12's in the early 80's.

He was part of the team that lost the Cup to DC in '87....which you so often rave about.

#91 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Well if it helps relax anyone, he does mention that a friend felt like he was jerked around, so the 'attack' can maybe be attributed mostly to that?

It's been for a while like you just wish someone would bang some heads together. IM might be the guy to do it, I sure hope ~somebody~ does it, soon. Australia has some of the coolest racers around. Good economy too.

I heard the end of a snippet on NPR radio just yesterday, something about how Australia wants to step up on the world stage of sports?

We do allright for a country with a small population. (about 1 for every 14 Americans)

#92 Vincit

Vincit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

We do allright for a country with a small population. (about 1 for every 14 Americans)

Just alright ? One thing is for sure, Australians will feature on the podium at AC34.

Spithill - Oracle skipper

Ashby - ETNZ coach

Mirsky - Venizia skipper (ok, maybe not podium but that's the team, not the skipper !)

Palfrey - Artemis coach

Now we need to create a credible team to give the next generation something worthy of representing their own country

Don't write off the chances of a strong, credible Australian AC team emerging. Focus on youth, Focus on winning, Focus on professionalism. Who needs nationality rules when we could by choice pick a team of Australians, still capable of being more than competitive.

TYA or whatever they will now be called, are by no means the only potential Australian challenger

Yachting Australia are blameless in the TYA fiasco, up unto this stage at least

#93 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:23 AM

Wrong again.

He was part of the team that lost the Cup to DC in '87....which you so often rave about.

Murray like Spithill credits Fischer with giving him his start in the America's Cup.

#94 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

Wrong again.

Once again googling has caught you out ..this is exactly what you said..

Wouldn't be named Jimmy Spithill and Iain Murray? Those were the names of some of the "fairly talented teenagers" that sailed in Young Australia 2000 by Syd Fischer.

#95 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:02 AM

Wrong again.

You probably need to look up Googling, it's in Google for Dummies by Fred Flintstone. I believe it is the search function on AC34 web site not Google since AC34 website is where Iain Murray posted the comments crediting Syd Fischer with Murray's being in the America's Cup;

#96 Vincit

Vincit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

Iain skippered the 12m Advance in 1983, and was part of the design team (probably not his greatest achievement). Advance was Syd Fishers first attempt at the Cup, and was remarkable only for the fact that she was so slow. Not a lot has been recorded about this other 1983 Australian challenge, which was largely overshadowed by the historic achievements of Australia 2 in that same cup cycle. But it's fair to say, and I know Iain would acknowledge, that Syd gave him his start in the world of AC racing. After Australia 2 won the right to defend the Cup, 3 other Australian teams contested for the right to represent Royal Perth Yacht Club defense at the next event in fremantle. Steak n Kidney (Syd Fisher), South Australia (syndicate), Kookaburra (Kevin Parry / Iain Murray). Kookaburra won the defender selection series but went on to lose the Americas Cup match to Dennis Connor, thereby becoming the only Australian team to ever lose the Americas Cup ! The story of Australian teams in the Americas Cup has been pretty much downhill from there..........

#97 Елиfooterz - atefooterz

Елиfooterz - atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,004 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

Wrong again.

Gotta love the agro know all`z ! :P

Iain started sailing a mid fleet 16 , after winning in cherubs in 1973-74 season? during the mid 1970s he launched the self designed "Jet Set" and in 76? his Sunset Motels was a much better twelve, he then went onto the 18`s with 7Colour in 1977.

In the early 80s Iain teamed up with McConaghie to create the first carbon nomex 18s.

Being Aussie & a decade behind = "1970s- 80`s if you remember it you were not having enough fun!'

#98 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

Wrong again.

You probably need to look up Googling, it's in Google for Dummies by Fred Flintstone. I believe it is the search function on AC34 web site not Google since AC34 website is where Iain Murray posted the comments crediting Syd Fischer with Murray's being in the America's Cup;

Again...this is what you said..

Wouldn't be named Jimmy Spithill and Iain Murray? Those were the names of some of the "fairly talented teenagers" that sailed in Young Australia 2000 by Syd Fischer.

#99 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

Wrong again.

No one is debating the influence that Sid had on Iain.

The subject is what you said - exactly - Wouldn't be named Jimmy Spithill and Iain Murray? Those were the names of some of the "fairly talented teenagers" that sailed in Young Australia 2000 by Syd Fischer.

You cut and paste and parse to prove a point that no one is making, except you.

You beat up people like Gaucho Greg when he agrees with you.

And you simply can not admit you made a mistake, and instead try to twist the statement inside out, and turn it on others.

Probably one of the reasons this forum is declining in participation is because of the way you have to have it your way, all the time.

It just gets rather boring.

#100 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:46 AM

Wrong again.

bit of a pathelogical? pattern emerging here, something that not even a change of screen name would change

poster says something wrong

people call him on it

he replies saying the other is wrong and edits previous posts to hide his error

if it goes further poster gets increasingly random quoting all sorts of rubbish and other posters in attempt to bury and blur

works with all of the people some of the time?

some of people all of the time?

but never all of the people all of the time!

what then?