5 replies to this topic

#1 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

anyone interested in providing insight to single handling this boat?
I am hoping to spice up my sailing on a new FT 10 after years drifting on 19th century gentleman's boats. I just like to solo, enjoy to cruise the Oakland estuary with my young son and but ultimately want to run hard with the SSS. (Right now I can only make 2 marks in a three bridge fiasco and get slapped on the downhills in my noble and quite forgiving wooden aux racer on the other races throughout the season).
I sail quite a bit but all I ever see are these boats and crew straight out of the gay pride parade -not that there is anything wrong with the lifestyle. The real question is how do I sail this boat without having a collection friends of Marys?

#2 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

From the contents of your post, sounds like single handing a FT10 would be a perfect combination for you.......

#3 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

OK that was a poor wiseass post with an iphone... It just seems for a 60k, this boat shouldn't be just a gun with required but a more rounded boat. I suspect that many have this racer and another boat which serves a more leisurely-luxury ride.

As I begin to explore sports boats and FT 10's more specifically, I just need to go be a day ride on one to decide if it is right for me and my limited crew.

#4 CazzaRanda

CazzaRanda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

if you're in SF PM me, we'll get you out. One of the FTs here has done some singlehandling, including a round around the rockpile: http://www.norcalsai...Farallones.html

Cazza

OK that was a poor wiseass post with an iphone... It just seems 60K for a 60k boat shouldn't be just a gun but a more rounded boat. I suspect that many have this racer or and another boat which serves a more leisurely-luxury ride.

As I begin to explore sports boats and FT 10's more specifically, I just need to go and be a crew on one to decide if it is right for me and my limited crew.

Attached Files

#5 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

but ultimately want to run hard with the SSS.

From what I've seen they are a bit tippy (narrow beam) so singlehanding is going to be a challenge of keeping her upright..... up and down wind. Nothing beats time at the helm singlehanding. Get out there and figure it out.

#6 Chuck.R

Chuck.R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

I've single handed mine numerous times, lots of fun and the boat drives and feels so light. The worst part is rolling up the sails when you're done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users