#1 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:09 AM

I want this thread to be a place for general information about the Santana 20.

We just hosted Nationals here in OKlahoma and had a great time and I am hoping it sparked some new excitement here in Oklahoma.

For those of you that don't know
The Santana 20 has been built by W.D. Schock since 1976 and in all honesty it embodies many of the traits of the IOR designs. Pinched ends, big beam, fractional spinnaker, rock and roll downwind. But it is still a blast to sail and the people are hard to beat.

If you own a Santana post your location and hull number.

I just got voted in as the VP of the S20 class so if you post expect a pm from me. I am prepared to bring some young drive back into the fleet and want to know what it will take to get more 20's on the line.

Vernon Green
Arrested Development
Fleet 17
Oklahoma City, OKlahoma

#2 rgscpat

rgscpat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Interests:sailing, racing, race management, Desert Sea / southwest USA sailing, future of sailing, travel, photography, hiking

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:47 AM

S20 475 summer Heron Lake, New Mexico, winter Mesa, Arizona

#3 Paul Romain Tober

Paul Romain Tober

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

East Washington, NH

#4 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

Hull #611 huh... you are really close to my old boat that got destroyed. It was 616.

The class is gonna be doing some cross pollination between the New East Coast fleet in Maine and the West Coast fleets. Basically they want to send a team from the east coast to the west and vice versa. It will be an exciting way for the two sides of the country and intermingle.

Everyone in the class should start their planning now to make it to Eugene, Or next year for nationals in late July. I know some Oklahoma sailors are already looking at making the road trip out. Sure it will be a haul but it will be a fun trip and probably the biggest fleet of 20's for quite a while.

If you know of a 20 sitting unused in a yard or dry storage somewhere let me know. We are looking for a few more boats here in Oklahoma. Probably one's that can be had cheap.

#5 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

I know the 20 doesn't compare to what everyone calls a sportboat these days but it was the original sportboat. The phrase sportboat was coined to describe the 20!

If you are looking for a budget three person boat that is tweaky and has all the controls that a big boat does then give the Santana 20 a try!

Posted Image

#6 ROXC&C29

ROXC&C29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

the is a Santana 20 sitting in Taylor Marine Service in Grapevine Texas, just sitting on a trailer waiting for someone to buy.

#7 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

PM sent your way, I need some info on the boat.

#8 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Found Santana 20 #344 just a few days ago. It was at a garage sale, and needs some love to say the least. But still a solid boat. Working on picking it up at a reasonable cost for the shape it is in. If I can get it I will do a refurbishment on it and sell it to someone local to build the fleet.

#9 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

If anyone knows of any old Santana 20's sitting at your club not being sailed, let me know. I will do the footwork to figure out who owns it and do anything I can to get the boat sailing again.

#10 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

Geez, there's been one for a while on the SF craigs list for a while for 900ish bucks. It's not up there now though..... I've always thought they looked cool.

#11 OHAWHO

OHAWHO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

http://sfbay.craigsl...2712318022.html

#12 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:28 PM

That's the one. New posting today. Wish I had two pennies to rub together. That thing would be in my side yard.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2712318022.html

#13 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

How come the S20's PHRF ratings are so slow? They don't look that slow....

#14 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

They are not fast boats, they are responsive and quick but not fast! The rating they have is great in light air, and under 10knts of wind you will be really hard to beat. But once the wind builds over 10 the rating is hard to sail to unless the boat is tuned in and you have good crew.

They do look nice and look fast but they aren't but what does that matter when you can by a nationals ready boat for 5K.

#15 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

Old school. The're shaped like a broach-coach era 1/4 Tonner but are smaller & heavier.

OTOH good foils and minimum wetted surface means they do quite well in light air.

I bust on old crummy boats a lot, but with a few upgrades boats like this can be a lot of fun.

FB- Doug

#16 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

With the modern set up the boat is alot of fun. With about 900 built there are alot of them out there.
No matter how you look at it they are an old IOR boat with all the "great" things about that era. Inline spreaders, fractional rig, big genoa, pinched ends. But man it is a good looking boat and who doesn't love some rocking and rolling downwind!
I am trying to track them down and get them sailing. Shoot me a PM or just post on here if you know of one.

#17 JimB

JimB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:I currently own a B25, Hull number 10. I just purchased the boat last summer (2008), put all new Quantum Fusion sails on the boat along with a new .6 airex spin. <br /><br />Hope to give the boat a new paint job for this season.<br /><br />As luck would have it I did not get to race the boat in any 12 plus Knot winds in my first summer with the boat. I managed to be else where not racing when there was strong breeze racing here last summer. I can't wait to race the boat in 15 plus knots.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:06 AM

I have owned about 10 small keel boats in the last 25 years. I sail and race on a small prarrie lake, Sylvan Lake Ab. I loved my Tuna 20. I moved from the Tuna to a Hot Foot 20 and then to a B25. I moved up only to compete in our faster fleet comprized mainly of martin 242s. The Tuna is a joy to helm, only boat I have enjoyed more is my B. Lots more $$$ invested in the B, crazy when you can have so much fun in a Tuna. Here is a shot of Beatnick leading our slow fleet, 30 year old sails and all.

Attached Files

#18 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Great looking 20! Your time in the fleet must have been before the blade jib we all fly now. Trims to inboard tracks on the cabin. Really makes the boat sweet in heavy air.

#19 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

They are not fast boats, they are responsive and quick but not fast! The rating they have is great in light air, and under 10knts of wind you will be really hard to beat. But once the wind builds over 10 the rating is hard to sail to unless the boat is tuned in and you have good crew.

They do look nice and look fast but they aren't but what does that matter when you can by a nationals ready boat for 5K.

Man Vern, you just turned off all the "fast guys" with that one comment. Great way to sell the class.......:P

#20 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, no reason to say they are. That isnt the 20s selling point. They are cheap, nice handling. The people that sail them are their biggest selling point. Such a great group of people!

I know you ar e just joking around.

#21 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Old school. The're shaped like a broach-coach era 1/4 Tonner but are smaller & heavier.

OTOH good foils and minimum wetted surface means they do quite well in light air.

I bust on old crummy boats a lot, but with a few upgrades boats like this can be a lot of fun.

FB- Doug

IOR 1/8 Tonner???:lol:

Neat little boats...

#22 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

it was design for the mini tonner class but after they sold fifty at one boat show they knew one design was where it was headed.
A true testament to the OD status is that boats from 1977 still can be in the to few at nationals.

Some big names have and still do sail then. Charlie ogletree of americas cup and olympic fame sailed them for a time.

#23 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

it was design for the mini tonner class but after they sold fifty at one boat show they knew one design was where it was headed.
A true testament to the OD status is that boats from 1977 still can be in the to few at nationals.

Some big names have and still do sail then. Charlie ogletree of americas cup and olympic fame sailed them for a time.

I'd forgotten about mini tonners...

#24 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

I'd forgotten about mini tonners...

During that time mini tonners were all the rage in France. Every backyard builder had something cool going on. Most of them rigged up like a 5o5 and about as light too. Nice! <-- both the adjective and the city! :D

#25 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

Wind blowing well into the 20's (check), temperature in the 30's (check), willing crew (Check). Couldn't see any reason not to go for a sail! Had a great time, stayed nice and warm and only a little wet. Did break a tiller but it was my fault and no a big deal at all. Fun sail on the 20 today now that we have water in our lake again.

Guess I should say that my crew was part of the local college team I am the assistant coach for. We cancel practice on the 420's so we head out on the 20!

#26 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

Wind blowing well into the 20's (check), temperature in the 30's (check), willing crew (Check). snip

And would this be on Hefner? or Thunderbird?

#27 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

Hefner, WE HAVE WATER!!!! Just barely enough. I think there there is about 4'8 at the hoist so enough for the 20.

#28 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

After 2 months of searching and bargaining we have found a Santana 20 in the budget of an all womens sailing group from Lake PErry in Topeka kansas. They are coming to my club mid january to pick up an old inactive boat that needs some love so they can start a fleet at their club. This is very exciting news! Hopefully in a couple of years we can have a big fleet built there.

We are working on a group sail buy here in the Central states and working on setting up a travelling trophy series for the Santana fleets. Should be fun, good things are happening in the 20 fleet in this region. Lot of new blood getting into the fleet and reviving the old class in this area.

Hard to beat a boat that you can buy for less than 5K and be ready to compete! If you have any interest in taking a ride on one let me know. I can put you in contact with an owner close to you.

We have a fleet starting in Dallas, good fleet in OKC, several boats in Tulsa, GREAT fleet in Kansas City, and 8-9 other boats scattered around that travel. We are looking at possibly getting 10 boats on the line for some of the little local regattas that just two years ago they were lucky to get 3-4 Santanas at.

#29 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hi guys,

A couple of things:

a. Vernon, great job putting the OK fleet together (and/or working on it). Even though we are in Dallas, we are willing to travel for regattas. If you come across a Santana 20 to buy let me know.

b. We are trying to put a One Design/PRHF event in October to be held at Lake Texoma, would be great to have the S20 invited.

c. We just updated the Santana 20 Dedicated Area (parts and running rigging) inside our store, let us know if there is any thing Santana 20 fans would like to see added.

Looking forward to seeing you on the water!

#30 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Juan, we are working on a dallas fleet. There is a young guy down there who raced at nationals and just a few weeks later drove to california to pick up another 20. So currently has 2, one for himself and one for his dad to race. They are hoping to build the fleet down there.

As for building the fleet here, I am just bringing a youthful influence to it. There are others who kept it alive for many years.

Love some info on the od thing on texoma. The oklahoma 20s are willing to travel so let us know. It would be a great time to meet up with the dallas guys.

#31 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

Posted Image

A good chunk of the Oklahoma/Missouri fleet of Santana 20 at the 2011 Tsa La Gi Dogwood regatta.

#32 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

. We are gonna be at weatherby lake near kansas city on june 9-10.

This was our best turnout last season locally with 10 boats on the line. We are shooting to beat that this year. Shouldnt be hard, we have several new owners in kansas city so we could easily be looking at 15 santanas on the line this year!

If you are close at all get ahold of me and I can give you regatta details.

#33 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,972 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

With the modern set up the boat is alot of fun. With about 900 built there are alot of them out there.
No matter how you look at it they are an old IOR boat with all the "great" things about that era. Inline spreaders, fractional rig, big genoa, pinched ends. But man it is a good looking boat and who doesn't love some rocking and rolling downwind!
I am trying to track them down and get them sailing. Shoot me a PM or just post on here if you know of one.

do a search in SA including my handle

couldn't give one (with a winged keel) away a few years back

Snot like I didn't try Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

Woody, Don't know what to tell you. I am guessing it must have been in Cali? There are alot of 20's in california and they usually sell for cheap. There is a new deck boat out there that is a retrofit that could be had for 3 grand right now. If I could afford to drive out and pick it up I would but just can't make it happen.

Some people can't give away boats, some people won't sell them.

There is a 20 owner here in Oklahoma that owns a really nice boat that hasn't moved in at least 5 years. I have personally talked to him 4 times and every time he says that he wants to start sailing it again.

#35 Racerdave

Racerdave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:6 Meters, Santana 20's, sailing eh?

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

On my third one. Started with #10 57383 the one on the Cover of the manual. I will post my current hull numbers later but one is an East Coast around 160 and the other is near 340 or so. I am planning on Eugene this year with one of them. I have one needing a rebuild (new rig and bulkheads) on a trailer in Poulsbo(Free to a good home without the Trailer) and the other is on lake Union here in Seattle.

D.

team SUSHI aka Ladybug / Charette

#36 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

Glad to hear that you are a long time 20 sailor! If you were close at all I would take you up on that boat. I have access to a cheap rig and a spare trailer.

We will be chartering a boat out in Eugene next year. We debated about making the haul out there and decided that flying out and chartering would be cheaper. Still not 100% but pretty sure.

We are also starting a series here in the Central states, 4 regattas have been picked and we have 21 owners within 7 hours of each other. Hoping we can show up to local regattas with 10 or more boats.

#37 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

Couple of cool old videos from the 1985 Santana 20 nationals. They are kinda long and the video isn't great but still pretty cool. Wind was up and a few rigs came down. I am a member of this club now and still see a few of the guys around.

Part 1

#38 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

Part 2

#39 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

There is one here on the hardstand at Hampton Yacht Club, Virginia. Hasnt moved in forever. No idea about details other than it is there. I would sail with him if he wants to go out. Look like fun.

#40 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

Had a great new years day sail on my 20! Double handing with the chute up in 10-12. Great day on the water!

#41 Racerdave

Racerdave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Had a nice new years day sail on one of the two that I have! It was #356 the other one is #361 and is the one needing a rebuild and rig. Vernon I think I saw the ad for the rig/trailer on the S20 website it's tempting but I need to get one in shape for the Nationals first. There was also one here in Seattle for sale at Shilshole Bay Marina last fall..

Dave

#42 ovb

ovb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Racing and day sailing

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Just a story to speak of the fun folks in the Santana 20 fleet....3 or so years ago I sailed in the S20 Nationals at Eugene Yacht club on Fern ridge lake....the sailing was great, and the partys and folks were better. Over the keg one night I posed a question to the sailors refilling their cups..." have you rode in more Limos or cop cars " there was lots of great answers then it devolved into a pissing match on how many cops it took to put them into the car...my kind of fleet.....

#43 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

The Santana 20 fleet is a great fleet of people! The class championships are being held in Eugene again this coming year and we are all really looking foward to it!

#44 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

Check out the promotional video for our class Championship for this coming year!

#45 ref

ref

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:od, some phrf

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

Check out the promotional video for our class Championship for this coming year!

nice job!

#46 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Not me making the video, but i will pass the word along.

#47 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

One for sale on ebay that doesn't look too bad....

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4600034dc8

#48 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Clean looking but bone stock boat.

Overpriced also since it needs alot of updates and sails to race. I would pay 2k for that boat.

#49 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Meh, You gotta start somewhere... Throw some lowers and a new set of sails on her and she will be good to go.... $2500 sounds about right minus the motor. Vern, are you talking to our fleet captain out here in Co?? We have about 18 - 20 floating around on various lakes, so keep us in the loop. They traveled extensively in the 80's and 90's and we had nats at Dillon in 88 I think, and again in Alcova WYO 98?(38 or so boats) so we did travel at 1 time.. . I even remember going to Fort worth so the Dallas connection is there. I am sure we could drum up some interest in a series...

#50 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Shaggy sent you a pm

You colorado guys need to get organized and host nationals! Great place for west coast and central.

#51 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

HA,
We need a "Sparkplug" like last time, most guys aren't traveling so much anymore (me included) but Nationals at Dillon would be sweet....... You are doing a great job BTW. We have 2 new this year, so our fleet is still growing (10 or so signed up for wed nights last yr). This fleet goes in cycles (Oregon was last region to discover the 20's) so maybe you be the next big thing. In a perfect world we get more West coast boats this side of the mtns at some point.

#52 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Give me a few years to develope a little more personal cashflow and I will start bringing cali boats to the central states. Right now I am doing well to fund my own boat. Although I may have a 2nd s20 soon.

expect to see growth down here! An unused boat id headed to topeka this weekend . I had to change out the trailer pads for the new owners so their teip would be easy but they are very excited about growing a fleet there.

#53 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

HA,
We need a "Sparkplug" like last time, most guys aren't traveling so much anymore (me included) but Nationals at Dillon would be sweet....... You are doing a great job BTW. We have 2 new this year, so our fleet is still growing (10 or so signed up for wed nights last yr). This fleet goes in cycles (Oregon was last region to discover the 20's) so maybe you be the next big thing. In a perfect world we get more West coast boats this side of the mtns at some point.

The more I think about it, find a regatta that doesn't mess with one of our series regattas this year in your area and I will bring my boat and crew up and race with you all, I will actually drag all the boats I can with me but I may be the only one crazy enough to do it.

But in return I ask that you do the same, show up at one of our series regattas. There one in Kansas city or Topeka would be ideal seeing as they will be the biggest turn outs probably.

#54 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

That might not be such a bad thing as when I went to nats some of the guys recalled heading out there for weekend regattas back in the day.

#55 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

http://www.tlg-yacht...SSA.REGATTA.pdf

April 21-22 Tsa la gi sailing club.

Here is the link to the first series regatta! I think we had 7 Santana 20s at this regatta last year! We are hoping for more this year so it should be exciting. This isn't some huge sailing club but they put on a great show!

Tsa la gi sailing club always puts on a great show, the past few years they have had a free keg of beer that gets tapped friday night and is open until we all head home. Also if tradition continues there will be a poker game Saturday night, 5 dollar buy ins and it goes on all night.

Oh yeah, we race also! This time of year in Oklahoma is usually full of wind so be ready for some fun conditions. Any class of boat with 4 boats will get their own fleet so even if you don't have a Santana 20, call some buddies and show up! I promise you will have a great time!
Expect a fleet of: Santana 20's, San Juan 21's, and a whole bunch of random PHRF boats. The J22's and J24s don't show up around here unless they have a dedicated regatta so don't expect to see them.... unless some of you Tx J sailors want to show up!

There are great camping on the grounds and nice showers and such on the grounds also.

#56 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

The "Sailing Sisters" from Lake Perry Sailing club picked up their boat this past weekend. Pictures to come later.

They are planning to work on the boat and get it going this coming season to join our series. Should be alot of fun and it sounds like there is a good chance they will grow a fleet at their club.

#57 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

Just put in an order for a new set of sails through Banks Sails Northwest! Pretty excited about getting them in! Banks builds a great sail and it should be a blast to get them up in the air!

Had several Santana 20's out on New years day! This is use coming downwind double handing the boat!It was a fun day!

Posted Image

#58 Racerdave

Racerdave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Anyone else buying New sails this Year for the Nationals? Interested in what you might think about Pattison vs. North . Banks as well .

RD

#59 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

I have a full new set coming from Banks Northwest. If I were you I might hold off on the spinnaker for 1 more season if what you have is decent. The board is currently discussing putting a spinnaker material change to a vote at nationals. A lighter cloth could potentially be allowed but it is not for sure yet and I would say it is 50/50 at the moment. It makes alot of sense to change but there are also reason to know.

To be completely honest I am representing Banks Northwest in my area now and that is why I have a full set headed my way. But I stand to make nothing off you buying Banks so I will be completely honest.
I currently race with Norths, and have flow Hart sails also. Pattison without a doubt knows the boat well and can build a fast sail. what I look for is a sail that will be fast out of the box with minimal tweaking. The Norths I run take alot of work to get the dialed in but when we find it they are deadly fast. The Harts I flew before them and still use are fast no matter what we do but not to the same level the Norths are. But....

I have Been getting beat by banks for years by Britt Williams and have now seen the light. Dale at Banks Northwest is a good guy and builds a fast sail for the 20. The Full batten main he makes is a thing of beauty and I know for sure that the one Britt flew at nationals had three seasons on it and looked brand new. And those are Oklahoma seasons where we can wear out a blade in 2 years because of the heavy air we have.

Also the Banks Membrane genoa is nice, it is a little pricey but I think it is a good sail based on what I have seen. Guess we will find out for sure soon.

#60 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

First Santana 20 Midwest Series regatta is in two weeks! Tsa la gi puts on a great regatta!

If you are within a few hundred miles you should be dragging your santana to here and coming to race.

#61 Racerdave

Racerdave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

I always thought that 3/4 oz. for the kites was too heavy as we raced Etchells with .5 oz everywhere back in the Day. That said I have a very new 3/4 class kite waiting for me at Norths as I write this....

RD

#62 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

Yes there are going to be people who are going to get hurt if the class changes to the new Spinnaker cloth weight. But the class needs to move forward to stay relevant.

There are very few 40 grams per square meter cloths left out there. The Airx 650 that we currently use works but from the supplier of the cloth you can see that the Airx 600 is actually more tear resistant. I think it will be good for the class if the new material weight get approved, for one it will bring the boat forward to be slightly more modern, also for those that are not at the top of the fleet it will provide lots of lightly used spinnakers of the old cloth style for the used market.

I have raced against Britt Williams with him using an Airx600 test spinnaker and never once did I think it was faster than what I was flying.

#63 rgscpat

rgscpat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Interests:sailing, racing, race management, Desert Sea / southwest USA sailing, future of sailing, travel, photography, hiking

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Haven't seen a Tuna 20 show up yet this weekend at Lake Texoma (Lakefest) ... it would be neat to see one on the course.

#64 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

Lakefest tends to be outside the budget of most Santana 20 campaigns. We looked at it a few years ago but after some discussion we just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on and entry fee.

I have been to lakefest a number of times on a Farrier 28 tri, if we can build a dallas Santana 20 fleet (2 boats so far) then maybe in the future we could talk some boats into coming to lakefest.

#65 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

Tsa La Gi sailing club's Dogwood regatta is always a good turn out for the Santana 20's. Sometimes I wonder if the poker game on Saturday night at the club draws more people in than the racing but a competitive fleet last year and a great host club sure don't hurt.

At the moment we have boats coming from Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Dallas, and Kansas City. Looking at a fleet of 6-8. I know to you west coast boys that isn't a great fleet but considering when i started racing a 20 getting 3 at a regatta was a good turnout we are doing pretty well.

Gonna have one brand new owner there so I am going a day early to help him rig and launch. Also I know several of the fleet are camping, no better way to swap sailing stories than over a cold beer and a hot s'more.

Here is last years fleet at Tsa La gi
Posted Image

#66 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

The Central States Santana 20 fleet is going to show up at the Perry lake Commodores cup in force! We are looking at 10+ boats! Without a doubt the biggest gathering of Santana 20's east of the Rockies this year! It is a 6 hour drive for me to there! If you are within 10 hours you should try and make it. Colorado boats?

Perry Lake sailing club puts on a great regatta, here are some pictures from last years race. You should at least look at them, there was some carnage the 2nd day!

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

#67 Mariner2442

Mariner2442

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I am looking for a race ready tuna boat in northern Cali on a trailer. Preferably a trailer set up for easy ramp launching (3rd wheel, keel guide). Do not care about new deck but would like something ready to hit the water.

#68 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Send a note to Schock@wdschock.com

Or call and ask for Kelly

They always have a handle on good S20s

#69 Hewie

Hewie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Both FLYC and Fleet 12 are not far from you and these guys are always looking to grow the fleet. Try either https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/santana20Fleet12 or https://www.facebook...s/FolsomLakeYC/

Dave

#70 TekkaMaki

TekkaMaki

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Tekka Maki a 1980 model - old deck is in Anacortes WA,
Has won many races locally-
currently for sale, dry sailed on road trailer.
$3,000 with excellent Sail inventory - 2+ suits of race ready sails.
PM me for info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users