30 replies to this topic

#1 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

Many of you are probably familiar with Richard, whose death is for the time being considered suspicious

Richard Oland, a member of one of the best-known families in Atlantic Canada, has died under suspicious circumstances, according to police.

Oland was 69 years old.

Saint John police spent much of Thursday near his Canterbury Street office in downtown Saint John, where his body was found about 9:30 a.m.

"It's a real shame," said Don Cullinan, who works in the law office next door to Oland's business, Far End Corporation.

"I saw him just about every day and said 'hello' to him," Cullinan said. "He seemed like a very, very pleasant fellow."

Cullinan told CBC News police were in and out of Oland's second-storey office all day Thursday.

Police removed Oland's body at about 2:30 p.m. and towed his BMW from the parking lot, at the corner of Canterbury and Princess streets. They also searched the area with sniffer dogs.

Posted ImageRichard Oland was a businessman, world-class sailor and a driving force behind the 1985 Canada Games in Saint John. (Canadian Yachting Association)

Staff Sgt. Mike King said the major crime unit and a number of patrol officers were involved.

But he wouldn't comment on how long the body had been there, how Oland died, or whether any weapons were involved.

An autopsy is expected to be performed Friday.

Oland is survived by his wife and three children.

Oland's family has owned Moosehead Brewery since Confederation, but he left that company in the 1980s. His brother Derek now runs the brewery.

Oland became a competitive sailor, who participated in races around the world.

Last year, he won the International Rolex Regatta in St. Thomas.

He was instrumental in helping Saint John get the 1985 Canada Games. He was also involved in finding a new home for the New Brunswick Museum in downtown Saint John.

One of Oland's friends described him as a "great salesperson" for Saint John.

Steve Carson, the chief executive officer of Enterprise Saint John and a family friend, described Oland was a tireless promoter for the city.

"Dick had a really in-depth knowledge of manufacturing, of logistics and transportation and technology. So it didn't matter what type of business someone was involved in," Carson said.

"He was very passionate and very intense and he had a really phenomenal way of connecting with people. So that combination of knowledge of the community and his passion for business was something that was very genuine and he was a great salesperson for the community."

NYYC Race Week at Newport Presented by Rolex: Vela Veloce overall winner
July 26, 2010After four days of racing in a variety of conditions across a mix of around-the-buoys and distance, New York Yacht Club's seventh biennial Race Week at Newport presented by Rolex came to an end onthe 24th of July. Light winds threatened to cancel the last day of racing for the 35 competing boats, but by 2pm Newport's classic southerly sea breeze filled in against a stubborn northerly and offered suitable conditions for racing. All classes raced on a four-leg windward/leeward course, and at the end of the day the Southern Cross 52 Vela Veloce was determined the best performing boat and was named the 2010 Rolex US-IRC National Champion. Its owner and skipper, Richard Oland (St. John, New Brunswick, CAN), was presented with a specially engraved Rolex Yacht-Master at this evening's Rolex Gala and Awards Party held at Harbour Court.

Posted Image Richard Oland's Vela Voloce won IRC 2 with four firsts and two seconds. Photo Credit Rolex - Daniel Forster

"This is a tremendous thrill for us," said Oland, who won his IRC class in March's International Rolex Regatta. He pointed out that competing against all of the boats in the fleet is exciting. "That's the secret of IRC. The reason it's become so good is because it allows for innovation. If you look at the results, and you look at boats you see how close they are. Like in our class, class 2, we were all within 50 feet."

The overall winner was calculated by comparing all entries based on a formula of average seconds per nautical mile. In determining the overall winner, the NYYC Sailing Office noted that the time separating winner Vela Veloce from the second-place overall was 13/100s of a second.

Winning the class wasn't enough; it was the overall performance that counted. Not much of a consolation to Steve Benjamin (South Norwalk, Conn.) and his team onboard his Tripp 41 Robotic Oncology, which won IRC Class 3 and finished in second place overall.

#2 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, we got the email last night. Unbelievable. Dick was a really nice guy, I'll miss sailing with him. Condolences to his family, good folks.

#3 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

I had only Richard once, this past winter, in Toronto. I happen to get lucky and we were seated at the same table for the CYA Rolex Awards dinner. Really nice, guy, one of the sort the sport needs alot more of.

What a shame. Terrible loss for the family.

#4 duncan

duncan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Interests:.25% above prime

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

my condolences to the Oland family

#5 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Damn that's sad. He came over and introduced himself to me at BI and he seemed excited about his new build. Was looking forward to racing against him this fall and winter. Shit.

#6 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

A comment on one of the news sites says that he was shot. :(
Stuff like that never happens in SJ.
So very shocking.

#7 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

No no no no no no... Richard introduced himself to me at the IRC NA's last July and congratulated us on our podium finish even though I was just the kid on the crew who was there to pick up the trophy. We then talked for a while and I walked away thinking "what a great dude". He was a fantastic guy who knew how to run a great program... who would do such a terrible thing... crap.

True condolences to his family. Fair winds and following seas to Richard...

#8 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Terrible to hear. Condolences to family and friends.

A good friends little brother has sailed on VV for the past few years, loved sailing with Mr. Oland, couldnt' say enough about him .

#9 Right Coast

Right Coast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:25 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting Dick this winter, while delivering VV to Antigua after Pineapple Cup. He was a genuinely good guy, and truly enthusiastic about sailing. The news of his passing is both sad and disturbing.

#10 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Prominent New Brunswick businessman Richard Oland died in a homicide, the Saint John Police confirmed on Monday.

Oland, 69, was found dead on Thursday near his Canterbury Street office in Saint John.

Bill Reid, the chief of the Saint John Police, said the autopsy results and the investigation have led the police to confirm it was a homicide, but they are still not indicating whether a weapon was involved.

Reid told a Monday afternoon news conference that Oland and the killer knew each other.

However, the police will not say whether there are any suspects.

#11 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Sick... just sick! One of the great owners in our sport! Will me missed.

My condolences to the family, close friends and all that have saiied regularly with him over the years.

Luiz

#12 steveandrew

steveandrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

I was stood on the dock admiring VV after the Caribbean 600 last year. This chap engaged me in conversation and invited me to view his boat and gave me a guided tour. I came away thinking what a boat and such a nice guy.
My sincere condolences to the family

#13 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

Online condolences for the family can be left here.

Richard's funeral was this afternoon.

#14 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

Whispers of what happened came out pretty quick on Friday, but obviously everyone can't say much due to ongoing investigation. I just hope the cops wrap it up pretty quick and put this to bed for the families sake. They are good people.

Shame.

#15 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Been sending out crew emails for Mac race, and with a Richard on our crew, Dick's email keeps popping up in the autofill in the subject line. Hits kinda hard.

#16 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

A terribly sad loss of a Maritimer who clearly loved his sailing. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

It was great to see him so pleased to win the Gerry Roufs trophy at the CYA awards this past February in Toronto. That was a fun night with a bunch of great sailors. CYA Rolex Awards

Hearing from the people who sailed with him and seeing all the events Vela Veloce sailed it was easy to admire what he was doing.

Not many like him in sailing from Canada let alone the Maritimes. Many toasts of fair winds coming RO's way.

#17 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Having only sailed with him once I can't say that I knew him but I can echo the sentiments shared previously. Really just an all around nice guy with a love for the sport. Will certainly be missed by many.

edit:
looks like some good times here...
http://www.youtube.c...u/0/sqTZbPtudOc

#18 Great_lakes_racer

Great_lakes_racer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

My condolonces to his family and many friends

#19 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

The Saint John Police spent several hours on Thursday at the home of Richard Oland's son executing a search warrant.

CBC News has confirmed the house on Gondola Point Road belongs to Dennis Oland, the son of the prominent New Brunswick businessman who was found dead in his office last week.

Saint John Police would not officially confirm who lives in the house or that it is related to the homicide investigation.

Sgt. Glenn Hayward said officers arrived at the house around 12 p.m. AT on Thursday.

There were at least two forensic vans at the house.

#20 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

The death of Dick Oland was initially suspicious, then declared a homicide and took a grisly turn with a report that he was killed with an axe. On Thursday, the case veered toward the unthinkable, as police searched the home of the victim’s only son.

The search of Dennis Oland’s house came six days after he was questioned “extensively” by police, according to his uncle Derek Oland, in a case that has captivated the Saint John area, where the Olands are a hugely influential family.

Connie Oland, the widow of the victim, and her son Dennis gave videotaped interviews to police the day Dick Oland was found, Derek Oland said, a difficult experience that left them feeling “bruised.” He said he was told this by the people involved, none of whom has spoken publicly since the death, and that other immediate family might have talked to police as well.

The time gap between the interviews and the search warrant being executed on Dennis Oland’s property could raise questions about the quality of any evidence seized – an issue Saint John police refused to discuss.

Dick Oland, 69, was found dead last Thursday morning in the office of his investment company in Saint John’s historic downtown. The police here have been unusually tightlipped about the case. They have refused to confirm or deny the report, carried by the Toronto Star, that Mr. Oland was bludgeoned to death with an axe.

At least 20 police descended Thursday on the home of Dennis Oland, a sprawling property named Seven Acres in a posh part of Rothesay, a bedroom community of Saint John. His property is a short walk from both his parents' house and the imposing white church where his father’s funeral was held.

Dennis Oland read a passage from scripture at his father’s funeral Tuesday. Other than that, along with his mother and two sisters, he has avoided public attention and not spoken to the media since his father’s violent death.

http://www.theglobea...article2097458/

#21 Plumber

Plumber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Believe Dennis is an ex NA champ in his Star boat 'Lizzie Borden'

I don't see that on the Star website...

#22 wbrent

wbrent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

Don't think so. I went to school with Dennis. Last boat I saw him on was an old C&C 25. Didn't know him hardly at all but I'm pretty sure he wasn't into sailing like his dad was.

#23 The Dude

The Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Looks like nobody is getting your attempt at humor....I find it not funny at all..very bad taste.

#24 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,060 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Looks like nobody is getting your attempt at humor....I find it not funny at all..very bad taste.

I think it's more of a matter of not dignifying it with a response. Very poor taste indeed.

#25 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

I think it's more of a matter of not dignifying it with a response. Very poor taste indeed.

You can say shit like that when hiding behind some alias. Douche!
Not you NautiGirl

#26 KennebecasisBaySailor

KennebecasisBaySailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Old Boats. Racing One Design.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

No arrest after 2 years. Find this disturbing on several levels. Sailed with him once in his Etchells. 30  years ago, a day like today. He wanted to sail so he grabbed me off the wharf, just a young laser sailor. Didn't say much. Talked a little about the back stay, and some tuning stuff. Great breeze on the Kennebecasis River, 20knots+ from the North East, sailing upwind past Ministers Face, seemed like straight into the wind. I really think he would have been happier sticking with one design and smaller boats. He had the real passion for sailing that a lot of people don't. Don't know anything more about him really, and don't really care. Just a guy that didn't want to see a good breeze to go to waste and so he grabbed a kid off the dock to do it. It was a good day.

#27 KennebecasisBaySailor

KennebecasisBaySailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Old Boats. Racing One Design.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Good to see an arrest finally. Even the wealthy deserve justice.

#28 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Good to see an arrest finally. Even the wealthy deserve justice.

It's been coming for awhile. No idea why you would even put that second sentence in there though. Everyone deserves justice.

http://news.national...-richard-oland/

#29 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Jesus.

SAINT JOHN – The son of slain businessman Richard Oland has been arrested by police in New Brunswick in connection with his father’s homicide more than two years ago.

Saint John police say Dennis Oland, 45, will appear in court Wednesday, but they have not specified what charge he will face. They say Oland was arrested Tuesday but released no other details and a spokesman for the police department could not be reached for comment.

Richard Oland’s body was found in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011. He was 69.

He was a member of the family that owns Moosehead Breweries Ltd., but left the company in the 1980s.

READ MORE: Timeline of investigation into death of N.B. businessman Richard Oland

Oland was first identified as a suspect in the case in court documents released in May after two media organizations argued they should be made public at a hearing before Judge R. Leslie Jackson of the provincial court.

Jackson has not released any information considered to be hallmark evidence, which the Crown has described as information relating to the crime scene and physical condition and position of Oland’s body that only the killer or killers would know.

Last month, a sworn affidavit was released that says blood on a sports jacket found in the Rothesay, N.B., home of Dennis Oland matched the DNA profile of his father.

The affidavit by Sgt. Tony Hayes of Saint John police says a brown Hugo Boss jacket with blood stains that police seized from his home was sent to a forensics lab in Halifax in November 2011 for testing. The affidavit dated Sept. 7, 2012, says the results from the lab show that the blood stains matched Richard Oland’s DNA.

Gary Miller, the lawyer for Dennis Oland, has previously declined comment on the documents released by the court.

The documents contain claims not proven in court.

In a statement released Tuesday and signed by Derek Oland, the family says it believes Dennis Oland is innocent.

“We will rely on the court of law, believing in the judicial process,” it says.

“We believe our nephew and cousin Dennis is, in fact, innocent and we will support him and his family members through the course of whatever legal actions unfold.”

The statement says the family is trying to deal with what has happened.

“This situation truly is a tragedy for all of us who are part of the Oland family, and we are striving to understand and deal with the many implications,” it says.

The affidavit from Hayes released last month says the jacket was resubmitted to the lab in March 2012 for further testing and more blood evidence was found in three other areas.

In one area of the jacket’s right cuff, DNA that originated from two people was found, the affidavit says.

The estimated probability of selecting an unrelated Canadian Caucasian randomly with the same profile was one in 180 million, it says.

The affidavit says the jacket also had a dry cleaning tag that shows it had been taken to V.I.P. Dry Cleaners in Rothesay on July 8, 2011 – the day after Richard Oland was found dead in his Saint John office.

During an in-camera court proceeding in July 2012, Const. Stephen Davidson of the Saint John police said the jacket was “one of the most important pieces of evidence we have in proving this case and taking it to trial.”

Search warrants released in May also say that when Dennis Oland was questioned by police, he said he was wearing a blue jacket on July 6, 2011 – the day before his father’s body was found – but two people told police they saw him wearing a brown jacket that day.

Those warrants also say that a surveillance video showed Dennis Oland wearing a brown jacket when he arrived and left his place of work that day.

The same documents says Dennis Oland was “experiencing financial hardships” and owed his father more than $500,000.

According to a second affidavit released last month, dated Oct. 2, 2012, Dennis Oland told police on July 7, 2011, that his father had bankrolled his divorce a few years earlier and he was making interest-only repayments to him.

The document says police found that monthly payments were being made to Richard Oland’s personal chequing account but there were no deposits made in May and June 2011 and that a deposit made on July 5, 2011, was rejected due to insufficient funds. The dollar amounts were redacted.

After Richard Oland left his family’s brewery he worked in the trucking business at the Saint John Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. He was also a director of several firms.

He was made an officer in the Order of Canada in 1998

Dennis Oland has been arrested in connection with the slaying of his father, Richard Oland, 69, a prominent businessman who was found dead in his uptown Saint John office on July 7, 2011.​

Saint John police announced the arrest Tuesday evening. Oland will appear in court on Wednesday afternoon, Sgt. Jay Henderson said in a media release.

Henderson did not say what charge Dennis will face.

Police will hold a press conference Wednesday at 10 a.m., he said.

Police have previously said they consider Dennis, 45, the prime suspect, and police Chief Bill Reid had repeatedly said he expected an arrest in the case before the end of the year.

Family stands by Dennis Oland
hi-nb-dennis-oland.jpg

Police have previously said they consider Dennis Oland the prime suspect in his father's homicide. (Facebook)

Derek Oland, brother of Richard, said the family believes the police have got it wrong. 

"This situation truly is a tragedy for all of us who are part of the Oland family, and we are striving to understand and deal with the many implications," he said in a media release. 

"We will rely on the court of law, believing in the judicial process. We believe our nephew and cousin Dennis is, in fact, innocent and we will support him and his family members through the course of whatever legal actions unfold."

Dennis's lawyer, Gary Miller, was seen entering the Saint John police headquarters on Tuesday shortly before 7 p.m. He declined to comment.

Bill Teed, who is representing other members of the Oland family, also declined to comment.

ns-hi-richard-oland-852.jpg

Richard Oland was found dead in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011.

A jacket seized from Dennis's bedroom closet had blood on it that matched his father’s DNA profile, recently released documents related to the investigation revealed.

The brown Hugo Boss sports jacket had a dry-cleaning tag attached that appears to correspond to a seized dry-cleaning receipt dated July 8, 2011.

Oland owed father more than $500,000

Previously released documents show police believe Dennis, who was the last known person to see his father alive, lied to them about what clothes he was wearing that day, based on video surveillance of him and statements from two witnesses.

The documents indicate a possible financial motive.

Dennis, a stockbroker and investment adviser, owed his dad more than $500,000, and the documents suggest he fell behind in making payments in the months leading up to his father’s death.

No details about how Oland died have been released. Those details are considered so-called hallmark evidence that only the killer or killers would know. 

Police spent several hours executing a search warrant at Dennis's Rothesay home on Gondola Point Road on July 14, 2011, one week after his father's body was discovered.

Officers seized a total of 57 items, including legal papers, clothing, the lint trap of the dryer, and garbage bags and their contents

#30 Christian Nally

Christian Nally

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

My first job was at a marina dock, circa 1989.

One day I was shovelling gravel to move it around the parking area, hot day, shirt off kind of work.

The elder Oland pulled through in his limo. He had the driver stop, rolled down his window, leaned out and said... "You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work."

Weird.

(BTW... It's SAINT John, not St. John... seriously.)

#31 evenflow

evenflow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

None of this does actually surprise me.  I can't believe the denial, even from the other side of the family.  Always sad to see such a loss. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users