731 replies to this topic

#1 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

Well, FINALLY we have some information regarding broadcasting and online offerings from the organizers. Will these broadcasters also be airing the events?

</h3>

<h3>America's Cup Uncovered - Opening
Posted on 28 July 2011

A global first, the new weekly magazine program America’s Cup Uncovered is designed to connect viewers with the people, places and stories that are the backbone of the America’s Cup. Featuring behind-the-scenes sneak-peeks, athlete profiles and up-close action on and off the water, America’s Cup Uncovered will take an in-depth look at the 34th edition over the next two years, offering an exclusive window into one of the most prestigious events in sport.

With more than 90 weekly programs planned, the first episode will feature a variety of segments that will set the stage for future America’s Cup Uncovered episodes:

• The show begins with a focus on the complete reinvention of the America’s Cup, as the sport drives towards the future.
  • Viewers will be introduced to the new home of the America’s Cup - San Francisco - and how the natural amphitheater of the San Francisco Bay is setting the stage for the Cup’s transformation.
  • Up close and personal with James Spithill (Australia) of ORACLE Racing, the youngest skipper to ever win the Cup, and what a typical “day at the office” entails, with eyes always set on defending his team’s win.
  • A preview of Cascais, the site of the inaugural America’s Cup World Series, which is the new professional circuit bringing the America’s Cup experience to port cities around the globe.
  • And finally, a visit to the past, with a visit to Auckland, New Zealand, where locals recall their Cup experience and how the oldest trophy in international sport helped rebuild and modernize their city’s waterfront.
Each episode is 30-minutes in duration, and available from 08:00 PDT / 11:00 EDT / 15:00 GMT on Saturdays, each week.

Each episode is available online for seven days, until the next episode is aired each Saturday, and from select international broadcasters, including:

Hong Kong - PCCW
UK - BSkyB
Spain - Mediaset
Portugal - TVI
LATAM - ESPN Sur
USA - ComCast Sports Network
South Africa - Supersport
New Zealand - TVNZ

http://www.americascup.com/en/Latest/Gallery/2011/7/Americas-Cup-Uncovered-preview/

By the way, that will be lame if you only get broadcast coverage if you are using ComCast, but at least we have the on-line offering.

#2 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

Well, FINALLY we have some information regarding broadcasting and online offerings from the organizers. Will these broadcasters also be airing the events?

</h3>

<h3>America's Cup Uncovered - Opening
Posted on 28 July 2011

A global first, the new weekly magazine program America's Cup Uncovered is designed to connect viewers with the people, places and stories that are the backbone of the America's Cup. Featuring behind-the-scenes sneak-peeks, athlete profiles and up-close action on and off the water, America's Cup Uncovered will take an in-depth look at the 34th edition over the next two years, offering an exclusive window into one of the most prestigious events in sport.

With more than 90 weekly programs planned, the first episode will feature a variety of segments that will set the stage for future America's Cup Uncovered episodes:

• The show begins with a focus on the complete reinvention of the America's Cup, as the sport drives towards the future.
  • Viewers will be introduced to the new home of the America's Cup - San Francisco - and how the natural amphitheater of the San Francisco Bay is setting the stage for the Cup's transformation.
  • Up close and personal with James Spithill (Australia) of ORACLE Racing, the youngest skipper to ever win the Cup, and what a typical "day at the office" entails, with eyes always set on defending his team's win.
  • A preview of Cascais, the site of the inaugural America's Cup World Series, which is the new professional circuit bringing the America's Cup experience to port cities around the globe.
  • And finally, a visit to the past, with a visit to Auckland, New Zealand, where locals recall their Cup experience and how the oldest trophy in international sport helped rebuild and modernize their city's waterfront.
Each episode is 30-minutes in duration, and available from 08:00 PDT / 11:00 EDT / 15:00 GMT on Saturdays, each week.

Each episode is available online for seven days, until the next episode is aired each Saturday, and from select international broadcasters, including:

Hong Kong - PCCW
UK - BSkyB
Spain - Mediaset
Portugal - TVI
LATAM - ESPN Sur
New Zealand - TVNZ

http://www.americasc...overed-preview/

By the way, that will be lame if you only get broadcast coverage if you are using ComCast, but at least we have the on-line offering.

I agree, great that they are making it available online (had to really - or be taunted as Flintstones)
But they are still using the same old script I see!

Good that they have got this far though - hope they can find broadcasters in further countries soon

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

"Each episode is available online for seven days"

Does someone want to be the official archivist for this one?

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

great that they are making it available online

Not great. The absolute minimum they could do. Having their revenue stream dictate the time limit for the shows to be online is dopey, and flies directly in the face of the stated goal of getting the word out to the masses, and of the way modern media browsing occurs.

I imagine it'll be up to the Bittorrent community to sort it out, if anyone cares enough to bother.

#5 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

We'll see if that is really the case that the episode is only available for 7 days. It could be the same dopey type of misspeak as saying the boats will have closing speeds of up to 30knts. Obviously, the shows will be available at least 7 days. Why they would then pull them makes no sense, and actually makes less work for themselves, and would seem to take away potential revenue.

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

We'll see if that is really the case that the episode is only available for 7 days. It could be the same dopey type of misspeak as saying the boats will have closing speeds of up to 30knts. Obviously, the shows will be available at least 7 days. Why they would then pull them makes no sense, and actually makes less work for themselves, and would seem to take away potential revenue.

It's pretty routine for cable companies to require that they get pulled after a set period of time. The Daily Show is only available for 5 days or so for instance, because Comedy Central wants people to watch re-runs, I guess.

The bigger question is what ComCast Sports Network markets they will be in? CSN is a weird affiliate; first, it's actually a bunch of individual cable channels in 8 or 9 major US markets, and second, the national VS is also somehow part of the Network. And third, part of the Comcast/NBC merger means all of these networks are about to be renamed so mething with NBC in them to get the Comcast odor off and try to build more market share. All that being said, the CSN productions are generally really good (not that it will matter with all the content coming from ACEA), their regional promotion is pretty good, and Comcast reaches 22% of the TV market, which is a big-ass number. A number that has been falling since 2007, unfortunately for Comcast (now Xfinity).

The ability to reach 22% of the market in the US is great. The fact that ACEA might earn some revenue from it is great.

But it ain't what ElliCoutts promised.

#7 katie burns

katie burns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

90 straight episodes ... it's going to get old.

#8 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

What about ASEAN, China (less HK), France, Germany, other Western and Eastern (!) European states, Aussiland and the rest? Terra Ignorata?

#9 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

It's pretty routine for cable companies to require that they get pulled after a set period of time. The Daily Show is only available for 5 days or so for instance, because Comedy Central wants people to watch re-runs, I guess.

The bigger question is what ComCast Sports Network markets they will be in? CSN is a weird affiliate; first, it's actually a bunch of individual cable channels in 8 or 9 major US markets, and second, the national VS is also somehow part of the Network. And third, part of the Comcast/NBC merger means all of these networks are about to be renamed so mething with NBC in them to get the Comcast odor off and try to build more market share. All that being said, the CSN productions are generally really good (not that it will matter with all the content coming from ACEA), their regional promotion is pretty good, and Comcast reaches 22% of the TV market, which is a big-ass number. A number that has been falling since 2007, unfortunately for Comcast (now Xfinity).

The ability to reach 22% of the market in the US is great. The fact that ACEA might earn some revenue from it is great.

But it ain't what ElliCoutts promised.

I wonder how long the contract is for. I have not been following that closely, but is CSN now a channel that is played outside of ComCast specific cable providers, as part of the NBC sports package? Like Versus, now under NBC.

#10 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

90 straight episodes ... it's going to get old.

But you won't be able to re-watch the episodes after 7 days. Woes me.

(even though, I will be surprised if they won't still be available)

#11 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

I wonder how long the contract is for. I have not been following that closely, but is CSN now a channel that is played outside of ComCast specific cable providers, as part of the NBC sports package? Like Versus, now under NBC.

According to Comcast's site, if I had cable here in Berkley, MI I would not have CSN, though I would have VS. For me personally, it's not an issue - like many of my friends and family, I do my media consumption on the web with a laptop that's no longer fit for SA duty running a 50" LCD via HDMI.

#12 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Really, really? AFIK, TDS from Jan 1999 to the present is on the web at http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos.

#13 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Quite a market reach there if you add up all those regions and channels. But that is for just the segment shows, right?

The live, or delayed, race coverage could be different. Think they said they hope to live it on (at least) the final Sundays of ACWS events?

#14 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:59 PM

Really, really? AFIK, TDS from Jan 1999 to the present is on the web at http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos.

My bad. Confusing it with another show, I guess. Maybe simpsons. Damn you, short-term memory!

#15 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

Quite a market reach there if you add up all those regions and channels. But that is for just the segment shows, right?

The live, or delayed, race coverage could be different. Think they said they hope to live it on (at least) the final Sundays of ACWS events?

If the best they can do is one day of live coverage, these people should be laughed out of their jobs.

#16 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

If the best they can do is one day of live coverage, these people should be laughed out of their jobs.

Back in November in Dubai, RW suggested it will start off small then steadily progress. This ~is~ just #1, remember?

Am very, very happy that apparently (?) ALL the action will be web streamed, I suspect that even you will be gobsmacked.

#17 nulo

nulo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:25 AM

Stop Press:

A few minutes ago on the Tv news had a couple minutes over Cascais ACWS and it will be aired free on TVI (one of our national networks) "the official network of the event".

#18 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

Back in November in Dubai, RW suggested it will start off small then steadily progress. This ~is~ just #1, remember?

Am very, very happy that apparently (?) ALL the action will be web streamed, I suspect that even you will be gobsmacked.

You want me to believe that with 50 or 100 production people working on this shit, and they can't plug a fucking computer into a board and send it to the web? Give me a break. Even Portugal can manage a megabit/second of upload speed. 1.2 million hits (not unique visitors, in case our resident bird brain is here) for our low-budget coverage of the Extremes. The AC45s would have twice that just on the name. That's hundreds of thousands of eyes that you think they will shit on because they can't get their act together, and hundreds of thousands of marketeers who would spread the word at this important but early date.

I refuse to believe that Ellison would surround himself with people that incompetent, though their silence on the matter does make me wonder.

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

Stop Press:

A few minutes ago on the Tv news had a couple minutes over Cascais ACWS and it will be aired free on TVI (one of our national networks) "the official network of the event".

and we have to learn this from a guy watching the news.

thanks for your work Nulo

#20 nulo

nulo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:41 AM

Our incumbent is having a test period in Cascais "county" on the normal implementation of 4G/LTE (just like this, coincidence??)

http://www.tmn.pt/4g/formulario.html

try the pull down where Cascais Shopping appears!!!

#21 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

LTE is fucking lovely. Changes my world.

#22 nulo

nulo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:57 AM

LTE is fucking lovely. Changes my world.

you can buy a pen for laptops tomorrow i'll try to know more on this.

#23 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

You want me to believe that with 50 or 100 production people working on this shit, and they can't plug a fucking computer into a board and send it to the web? Give me a break. Even Portugal can manage a megabit/second of upload speed. 1.2 million hits (not unique visitors, in case our resident bird brain is here) for our low-budget coverage of the Extremes. The AC45s would have twice that just on the name. That's hundreds of thousands of eyes that you think they will shit on because they can't get their act together, and hundreds of thousands of marketeers who would spread the word at this important but early date.

I refuse to believe that Ellison would surround himself with people that incompetent, though their silence on the matter does make me wonder.

What are you on about, besides trying to toot your own little OTWA/ESS horn?

They already announced that it will be live streamed via the web. Do you honestly predict it will be some unsteady camera guy, wondering the view finder around in some unsteady hand, from a Boston dock, with unsteady comms to some guy out on the course as the 5th man, breaking in to unsteady "umm, can you hear us now? okay.. now?" commentary from shore-side? With unsteady internet connection to boot, where people tweet "jeeezus, now what??" every time it drops out, right before they do too?

Clean, this thing is just so far over the top of that (commendable and fun OTWA and all, but still..) it's very much an amateur effort that just has no comparison at all to be made on any level. "Sending it to the web" may have been a big frikkin issue to OTWA with the dog twenty feer away peeing on the connection, the kid over there yanking the plug, whatever the fuck all your continuing problems were. But do you honestly think that that one facet of their production has not been thoroughly covered, and then some?

You did see the LIVE data feed picture I found, right? In case it has not yet dawned on your imagination: this shit coming up the big time.

I realize you don't want to be 'shown up' and realize you don't want to be 'left out' or just 'one face in a sea of 700 journos' etc, etc. And that's fine, good that you want to be one of THE guys, even if that is egocentric, and actually yes I would like that too, I think you are the best interviewer out there for some kinds of conversations, although maybe not in the SR (Shirley Realm) yet. But get a grip, buddy, the team assembled around this gig is most facking definitely professional, in just the production aspect there are over a hundred seasoned pro's involved by several accounts. Of course you are right to doubt that Larry "would surround himself with people that incompetent" - have you ever seen him low-ball anything in sailing?

It will obviously be on the internet, we may as well enjoy the production rather than try pretend we could have covered it better with tin cans and baling wire. It will be a very compelling journey they stream for us. The streaming is obviously not going to be the story.. Nice try, bud :)

#24 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • Interests:BOC Challenge 90-91, 94-95, Around Alone 98, Whitbread 93-94, 97-98, America's Cup 2000.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:20 AM

They already announced that it will be live streamed via the web. Do you honestly predict it will be some unsteady camera guy, wondering the view finder around in some unsteady hand, from a Boston dock, with unsteady comms to some guy out on the course as the 5th man, breaking in to unsteady "umm, can you hear us now? okay.. now?" commentary from shore-side? With unsteady internet connection to boot, where people tweet "jeeezus, now what??" every time it drops out, right before they do too?

Clean, this thing is just so far over the top of that (commendable and fun OTWA and all, but still..) it's very much an amateur effort that just has no comparison at all to be made on any level. "Sending it to the web" may have been a big frikkin issue to OTWA with the dog twenty feer away peeing on the connection, the kid over there yanking the plug, whatever the fuck all your continuing problems were. But do you honestly think that that one facet of their production has not been thoroughly covered, and then some?

You did see the LIVE data feed picture I found, right? In case it has not yet dawned on your imagination: this shit coming up the big time.

I realize you don't want to be 'shown up' and realize you don't want to be 'left out' or just 'one face in a sea of 700 journos' etc, etc. And that's fine, good that you want to be one of THE guys, even if that is egocentric, and actually yes I would like that too, I think you are the best interviewer out there for some kinds of conversations, although maybe not in the SR (Shirley Realm) yet. But get a grip, buddy, the team assembled around this gig is most facking definitely professional, in just the production aspect there are over a hundred seasoned pro's involved by several accounts. Of course you are right to doubt that Larry "would surround himself with people that incompetent" - have you ever seen him low-ball anything in sailing?

It will obviously be on the internet, we may as well enjoy the production rather than try pretend we could have covered it better with tin cans and baling wire. It will be a very compelling journey they stream for us. The streaming is obviously not going to be the story.. Nice try, bud

Now THAT was funny.

#25 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:55 AM

It will obviously be on the internet, we may as well enjoy the production rather than try pretend we could have covered it better with tin cans and baling wire. It will be a very compelling journey they stream for us. The streaming is obviously not going to be the story.. Nice try, bud :)

Stingray, you were the one that wrote something about 'for the Sunday only', which is what I said would be totally incompetent. I never claimed anything about the production would be, and considering the talent and $$$ involved, it is basically impossible for it to be anything less than 'gobsmacking.'

I will never be in the same technical league as the guys doing this thing, nor will OTWA be; the day I get offered 7-figure production budgets for sailing broadcasts is the day I cash out and go cruising - and it ain't gonna happen. Though frankly, I'd put JC up against any other english-language commentator on earth right now when it comes to doing exciting, energetic calling with essential first-hand knowledge of the discipline.

My point - and I encourage you to focus on this for a moment rather than get clouded up in the minutiae - is that while the production may be at ESPN level, the promotion and communication is closer to that of the kids on the corner with the lemonade stand. Ask yourself what's the goal with broadcasting the racing via internet? I assume the goals are (1) provide the core fans and kids - the die hard AC guys like you and me and the multihull locos and kids that have been engaged - with something to get excited with, and something to share with our networks of like-minded individuals, (2) begin the long and tedious process of building essential overall minute and user-minute view counts for sponsors and to give ammo to the guys negotiating the TV contracts, and (3) giving all the journalists at all the publications and news networks around the world something to report on in a way that they can do a good job of it, rather than relying on shitty press releases and 2 minute Youtube highlights.

Assuming this is the case, why would you not be promoting the live webcast a good 6 weeks before the event? Can you give me any good reason - aside from disorganization or incompetence - why this would be good practice?

#26 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

Stingray, you were the one that wrote something about 'for the Sunday only', which is what I said would be totally incompetent. I never claimed anything about the production would be, and considering the talent and $ involved, it is basically impossible for it to be anything less than 'gobsmacking.'

I will never be in the same technical league as the guys doing this thing, nor will OTWA be; the day I get offered 7-figure production budgets for sailing broadcasts is the day I cash out and go cruising - and it ain't gonna happen. Though frankly, I'd put JC up against any other english-language commentator on earth right now when it comes to doing exciting, energetic calling with essential first-hand knowledge of the discipline.

My point - and I encourage you to focus on this for a moment rather than get clouded up in the minutiae - is that while the production may be at ESPN level, the promotion and communication is closer to that of the kids on the corner with the lemonade stand. Ask yourself what's the goal with broadcasting the racing via internet? I assume the goals are (1) provide the core fans and kids - the die hard AC guys like you and me and the multihull locos and kids that have been engaged - with something to get excited with, and something to share with our networks of like-minded individuals, (2) begin the long and tedious process of building essential overall minute and user-minute view counts for sponsors and to give ammo to the guys negotiating the TV contracts, and (3) giving all the journalists at all the publications and news networks around the world something to report on in a way that they can do a good job of it, rather than relying on shitty press releases and 2 minute Youtube highlights.

Assuming this is the case, why would you not be promoting the live webcast a good 6 weeks before the event? Can you give me any good reason - aside from disorganization or incompetence - why this would be good practice?

Yes I did write 'for the final Sunday only' - remembering what RW suggested 8 months ago in Dubai, for actual TV broadcast as opposed to the wall to wall live streaming we could be about to be treated to, right from the get-go. Sundays is a good start IMO, it may not ever get past that for the ACWS, can't think of any sailing outside of LVC that has ever gotten all week long coverage before, live TV wise, you? Not sure even I would tune it in for that many hours.

But either way (TV or IP) if they ~do~ produce it all (!) then that is a ~major~ production effort. How many remote live mikes and cams per boat? how many mounted cams on chase boats? under-flying-helicopter cams? banks of computers to synchronize it all? directors? live data via selectable i-net feeds? professional commenters if you want that part turned on too? It means that the whole system will be All On All The Time, even if it is not live on your local Ch 8 CSN, which you say you would not watch anyway because IP is supposedly better than HD and surround sound.

Mostly agree with your 2nd-last paragraph, hard to argue w/you on that much as I'm in the mood to :) But people don't get excited 6 weeks ahead unless you are one of the few AC geeks here anyway, one week is plenty of heads-up for most potential viewers and we got that.

We need to see what they start out with before tossing rocks, pebbles probably anyway. 'Anarchy' and 'Rebel with a Cause' chest beating has its place but there just isn't much of a cause to stand on yet. 'Cheap' production is quite obviously not what this is going to be about, it is not the basis of any comparison. ACEA don't care how cheap an afternoon of OTWA can be had for, it is not even on the same radar gear. The really cool shit is in the interviews like you (most recently) got with GD and LD; the ragging on about being a better media-delivery guru with oh-so-sage advice somehow falls flat in the face of what's ahead on that front; it is a losing argument, a different league, may as well comment about the good and bad of it instead of try compete.

Your comment to GD that 'well ACEA haven't called OTWA yet to provide the coverage' made me cringe; by how seriously you said it, it was as if you actually did have that fantasy. Your relative strengths lie elsewhere.

#27 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:02 AM

"A global first, the new weekly magazine program America's Cup Uncovered is designed to connect viewers with the people, places and stories that are the backbone of the America's Cup."

I could have sworn there was weekly TV coverage of events in Kiwiland and Fremantle. Furthermore, in the UK at least, that was on mainstream free-to-view channels, not a minority subscription broadcaster. Global first, my arse.

This is fine when there are events to report but how the hell they are going to fill 30 minutes when there is no sailing will be interesting to behold. Or not.

#28 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

"A global first, the new weekly magazine program America's Cup Uncovered is designed to connect viewers with the people, places and stories that are the backbone of the America's Cup."

I could have sworn there was weekly TV coverage of events in Kiwiland and Fremantle. Furthermore, in the UK at least, that was on mainstream free-to-view channels, not a minority subscription broadcaster. Global first, my arse.

This is fine when there are events to report but how the hell they are going to fill 30 minutes when there is no sailing will be interesting to behold. Or not.

true --to be or not to be -that is the question

do you like shake-a-spear

BEHOLD A PALE HORSE --

[sorry

[ i shall explain for you pilgrims a pale horse or pale face as in pale face= pilgrim is without life-breath--]]

DEAD

#29 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

A limited time window now exists to throw rocks at what is about to take place, and the recent posting activity and criticism is bullshit even if their may be some relevant points, simply because;

1. This is the first event, and we have yet to see what they will produce, regardless of how may people or $ are involved. As a viewer, scale arguments don't mean shit, I'm not paying for this and will judge the end product on its own merits relative to others.

2. Expect they will do their best, yet strive to improve with subsequent events. If after the next event we don't see improvement, then we should reassess the situation, not before.

2. Nothing on this scale has ever been approached in the past, so a select few can criticize all they want BEFORE THE FACT, but it may be prudent to STFU and see what they come up with.

3. Some (without naming names) may be overly sensitive to the fact that the big boys have moved in on a turf they claim to have pioneered. Tough shit - ditch the attitude, sit back and enjoy the viewing.

OTWA is nice, and appreciated, but has clearly had it's ups and downs. It continues to improve, and so will these guys if you give them a sporting chance, regardless of the resources involved. I'm not interested in listening to the pity card, just viewing resuts.

PS - if their was any question as to why they don't grant SA interviews, it's been answered more than a few times on these threads.

#30 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

Ok, I'm confused are we going to get daily live coverage from Cascais or not, if Audi Med Cup can do it, then surely AC can ?

#31 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Just my take on things but I get the impression that the RW/ACEA way of doing things is more in the Peter Huston, hang out in cocktail bars, networking, big picture, future resume, X billion potential viewers, scripted press 'oppurtunities' style, rather than the hands on, spontaneous interview, inform the fan(atics), walk the dock, 'IM style'.

One would hope that the organisation/s between them could (or will soon) cater to all the interested segments though. I believe ACEA, for example, was planning on an eventual staff of 200 based in SF, but last I heard they had under 50, so there are bound to be some pretty big gaps still from their side at least.

More importantly at the moment the actual sailing and setup side of things seems to be coming together very well under ACRM in Portugal and that bodes well for the coming events. Hopefully the PR/News/TV/Website aspects will catch up. And I suspect the whole production side of things is far more advanced already than some seem willing to believe.

#32 blakie

blakie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

Stingray, you were the one that wrote something about 'for the Sunday only', which is what I said would be totally incompetent. I never claimed anything about the production would be, and considering the talent and $$$ involved, it is basically impossible for it to be anything less than 'gobsmacking.'

i have been asking myself that same questions for the last cuople of weeks....why the secrecy
the only reason i come up with is....a work-in-progress which equates to LAME at this stage of the game
with major contracts on the brink
for individual team sponsors and the rest
LAME LAME LAME
i just can't believe there are people out there still defending them

the website LAME
the PR LAME
we are trying to stay involved but everyday they disssppoint somehow

#33 blakie

blakie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Ok, I'm confused are we going to get daily live coverage from Cascais or not, if Audi Med Cup can do it, then surely AC can ?

dude you just stole my line
and RC44
and all sorts of other events

how do you want Venezia & China to get sponsors and keep to the financial comitments if you don't have a broadcasting plan?
its a fucking oxymoron
and yes 6 weeks if not 6 months would be great

#34 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

A limited time window now exists to throw rocks at what is about to take place, and the recent posting activity and criticism is bullshit even if their may be some relevant points, simply because;

1. This is the first event, yada yada
2. Expect they will do their best, yadayada
2. Nothing on this scale has ever been approached in the past, yada yada

LMAO, sorry, but that is so funny ... on what planet do you live ?
simple reality : the whole question of how good, nice, spectacular etc... this event (the first AC45 event by the way, nothing more, nothing less) can be mediatised comes down to the simple question how mucho yankee dineiros they are willing to throw into it without knowing if ever they will get a real return.
Argue at will on that one SWS and all the other evangelists and (let's hope not, for your own sake) maybe soon to be apologists, but the technology is not the issue, the scale is not the issue, the event itself is not the issue, it's just the question of pooring an unhealthy amount of cash into a black hole.

#35 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

ESPN had a weekly re-cap show back in '86 when the LV series started in Freo. Before the first races they had a background program, reviewing what had happened from '83 forward, who the teams and boats were, the venue, etc.

From then-on the shows were reports of the races that had happened during the week, highlights of starts, crossings, mark roundings, finishes, and then the standings up to that point. The first live races were the defender and challenger finals.

Things scaled back some after that but I do think there were reports during the '92-'00 period.

I have all of the '87 programs on tape.

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

But either way (TV or IP) if they ~do~ produce it all (!) then that is a ~major~ production effort. How many remote live mikes and cams per boat? how many mounted cams on chase boats? under-flying-helicopter cams? banks of computers to synchronize it all? directors? live data via selectable i-net feeds? professional commenters if you want that part turned on too? It means that the whole system will be All On All The Time, even if it is not live on your local Ch 8 CSN, which you say you would not watch anyway because IP is supposedly better than HD and surround sound.

I don't HAVE cable. I have a computer and a lovely TV. That's all. Keep in mind - IF they are producing any TV at all, they have the ability to send it to the web. There is literally zero extra effort other than clicking on "publish stream" or whatever their software uses.

people don't get excited 6 weeks ahead unless you are one of the few AC geeks here anyway, one week is plenty of heads-up for most potential viewers and we got that.

It's more about planning, which is why, say, the NBA Finals advertises heavily more than a month than they begin. I somehow don't think they are wrong.

We need to see what they start out with before tossing rocks, pebbles probably anyway. 'Anarchy' and 'Rebel with a Cause' chest beating has its place but there just isn't much of a cause to stand on yet.

There is plenty of cause to complain right now, and you know it very well. On a scale of 1-10:

Pre-event Comms: 1
Photos from Cascais: 6
Videos: 3

#37 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

Everyone loves a critic!

Posted Image

Jesus wept, if only the world could tap into all the incisive, intellectual, perceptive, astute, persuasive, diplomatic, technically savy, talent available here!

#38 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

Everyone loves a critic!

Jesus wept, if only the world could tap into all the incisive, intellectual, perceptive, astute, persuasive, diplomatic, technically savy, talent available here!

Oh, stop it. This site was founded on criticizing the things that the existing publications were too spineless to deal with, and we remain one of the only ones to speak regardless of how it'll effect our ability to get media credentials and press junkets, and we've got a pretty good track record of calling it early, and calling it right. If we were usually wrong, guys like Luca and Moose and Dalts wouldn't take my calls or trust me enough to be recorded for an hour.

#39 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

#40 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

What was all that about? It leaves you waiting.

#41 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

I believe that is just going to be the lead in to the show, not a promo or ad for the show.

#42 Catalyst

Catalyst

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

When is the video game coming out?

#43 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

First show online: http://www.americasc...ed---Episode-1/

#44 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Just how many times is the lasting impression of anything to do with AC 34 going to be a shot of a FAIL? ACEA has sold it's soul to the mighty dollar .

#45 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

Note the 480p max setting. That's a contract limitation for broadcasters.

#46 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Clean, can't you get inside info from Genny?

#47 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Note the 480p max setting. That's a contract limitation for broadcasters.

I was wondering too that it is not available in HD. The broadcasterm must have some incentive, no?

#48 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

Two Thumbs Up! Thoroughly enjoyed it, that is an excellent production all around.

#49 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Clean, can't you get inside info from Genny?

She doesn't know anything. If you have specific questions, post 'em.

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

Two Thumbs Up! Thoroughly enjoyed it, that is an excellent production all around.

Disagree. Fundamentally weak production. Voiceover from a kiddy show, uncreative shot selection, weak soundtrack, and once again, producers showing that they can't get character development going despite having some excellent characters. If they only put half the resources into their shot selection and script that they did into the opening animation...Most interesting part of it was the kiwi with the headphones, and they somehow managed to make Jimmy seem boring. Oh, and I thought his nickname was "Pit Bull" for its sonic resemblance to his last name and his tenacity. Not "Bulldog." <facepalm>.

I'm glad they're trying, and hope they get better - this accomplishes very little.

#51 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

Long, long interview with RC in Germany's leading news magazine "Der Spiegel".

part 1: http://www.spiegel.d...,776198,00.html
G-Tran: http://translate.goo..._WUL5cazLSEHX2w

part 2: http://www.spiegel.d...76198-2,00.html
G-Tran: http://translate.goo...CZfkROjzOmhKaIw

Like always, German to English translation is only something for the die-hards, but I was told that the interview is very good (haven't read it myself yet).

#52 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

Enjoyed it too. Glad it's available online anyway. I noticed they fudged the COR aspect, not that it matters to the general public.
Like Clean though, I thought some of the 'sound bites' were poorly chosen, PC sounded half asleep for example. Hope they have more to work with as they catch up to the action and have more time to assemble stories, biographies etc

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Enjoyed it too. Glad it's available online anyway. I noticed they fudged the COR aspect, not that it matters to the general public.
Like Clean though, I thought some of the 'sound bites' were poorly chosen, PC sounded half asleep for example. Hope they have more to work with as they catch up to the action and have more time to assemble stories, biographies etc

I hate to say it, and I mean no offense by it at all, but it just 'feels' like it was produced and directed by Brits. No sense of drama, no real 'extremeness', no character development, no humor at all, and ultimately, plain vanilla flavor for a subject that is all red hot chili peppers.

I'm guessing Sunset + Vine put in a VERY low bid, and you get what you pay for.

#54 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

My 2ct...

First I was reminded of the ACM productions form the days of yore, then I wondered where the magazine would want to lead the viewer. In the middle it sounded like educational TV, before it became slightly better.

As a disclaimer I must add that we maybe aren't the target group, but people who have no background knowledge and need the look back to understand what this is all about.

All in all, I perceived it as an o.k. production technically, the content was o.k. also; a story line, the "feel" and the ability to absorb the viewer were certainly not there. Room for improvement once they have competition footage.

EDIT: Yes, its cool that it is available online and even on YouTube (for people with the the narrowest broadband around).

#55 katie burns

katie burns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Boring. It was a good version of T2P.

It'll be good to show my friends who don't sail, I guess. The narrator is explaining it like we're 5. There's a SubReddit for that!

#56 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Interests:wtf is one warning points?

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

So when Larry Ellison won the Cup in 2010 he had to get a new CoR before the action could begin. Artemis Racing from Sweden. Yeah right.

#57 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

For an introductory first program, it was good. Set-up some historical background and laid a foundation to build on. That is the important issue to focus on, they need to build it up from here.

Remember, we have studied the AC over the last four years like few others. Not many out there have that amount of knowledge.

As the program progresses we will then have a better line to critique how they are progressing with the series.

A good first effort.

Thanks for the first heads-up Renn. :D

#58 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:02 PM

For an introductory first program, it was good. Set-up some historical background and laid a foundation to build on. That is the important issue to focus on, they need to build it up from here.

Remember, we have studied the AC over the last four years like few others. Not many out there have that amount of knowledge.

As the program progresses we will then have a better line to critique how they are progressing with the series.

A good first effort.

Thanks for the first heads-up Renn. :D

My sentiments, exactly.

#59 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

I hate to say it, and I mean no offense by it at all, but it just 'feels' like it was produced and directed by Brits. No sense of drama, no real 'extremeness', no character development, no humor at all, and ultimately, plain vanilla flavor for a subject that is all red hot chili peppers.

I'm guessing Sunset + Vine put in a VERY low bid, and you get what you pay for.

Produced and directed by Brits? Not surprising coz as you know, the core team at S&V is Brit, albeit with a bit of Hollywood savvy.

I thought the pace and editing was pretty decent. They certainly had lots of good action to work with. They condensed a lot into a 30-minute intro for the general public. My big quibble is with the voiceover guy. Jasus! Incredibly weak. Just so obvious he was reading off a script, complete with kindergarten-like emphasis.

#60 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

To the criticisms above, do a Take 2. There is some very, very good production quality if you pay close attention.

Most of it is so fast moving, 3 to 5 seconds max duration, that it's easy to forget just how good each one is. Seriously, that thing is impressive.

Excellent start, looks great even on a phone.

Edit, will agree the voice might be better but I got used to him

#61 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • Interests:BOC Challenge 90-91, 94-95, Around Alone 98, Whitbread 93-94, 97-98, America's Cup 2000.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

Excellent opening.

Good background, cool with America and SF background and on screen handoff from America to AC45.

Lots of fast sailing.

THE CAPSIZE! THE CAPSIZE! "Dangerously fast!" says background news voice.

Nice history. Good highlights. Australian nationalism in winning.

US retaking the Cup! Defend the trophy!!

Fisher! Nice cameo. Good intro of the competitors.

Did I say CAPSIZE! Danger Will Robinson!

Bruno! So French you know.

San Francisco. Nice city shots and pix of the future for SF and the race in SF.

Nice move into Cascais change the narrator to Brit(?) when Cascais/Europe comes up.

Nice use of Spithill as human involvement and the physical fitness aspect…blood sweat and tears. Nice personal history and tie to cup. Kind of same we see with training camp promos for NFL. The work behind the game. The team aspect.

The heads up display that pops up on the screen hinting at future broadcast.

Nice tip of the hat to Team New Zealand and Blake and red sox. Very nice touch. and explains the original background on Team New Zealand. What a difference Cup made to Auckland and New Zealand aimed no doubt at SF and potential city sponsors.

Good promotion for Emirates. Nice fair play touch for AC34 considering. Beating Spithill and Ozzies…grrr. Good humor.

And leave us at Cascais with a preview of coming attractions.

Excellent first of 90 intro videos for AC34.

Just crazy bassackwards that it won't be in an online library that people can use to get up to speed as more and more people check out the AC.

#62 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

Just crazy bassackwards that it won't be in an online library that people can use to get up to speed as more and more people check out the AC.

You mean like this?

http://forums.sailin...0

#63 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

Good effort at a recap there, Eagles, nobody else has tried so far. Again, if you watch closely there's a ~lot~ in it.

Figured the SF advertising parts would stiffen your bone :)

#64 katie burns

katie burns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

Am I the only one who thought, "I'm not buying that Jimmy Spithill drives a Toyota Camry"? I know it's completely irrelevant, but I mean ... I just didn't see that one coming.

Anyways, I just had some non-sailing friends watch it. They didn't pay attention to any of the narrative after a while because it was boring. They liked the cool sailing footage, as did I, but my friend Matt said he'd prefer to be able to access the action in short videos. He was like, "This is like the time you made me watch that show on CNN, except the CNN one was way better because they had that one hot chick on it who was really interesting."

I like the concept, but this just wasn't exciting to me at all. It's missing something, or maybe it has too much something.

Edit: I thought the Kiwi talking shit about beating an Ozzie was fucking hilarious.

#65 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:23 AM

Good effort at a recap there, Eagles, nobody else has tried so far. Again, if you watch closely there's a ~lot~ in it.

It was very well done especially when you look at it as chapter 1 of 90 chapter book. The preface.

Opinions here seem a bit pre-determined, they didn't need to actually watch it (if they even watched it). I think pros would give it two thumbs up.

Figured the SF advertising pats would stiffen your bone

Calm yourself monkey boy. You and Clean's scatological obssesions remind me that the web is 50% porno driven. Clean sees pole dancing monkey women in boat graphics. You get hot on advertising copy.

#66 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:44 AM

Showed it to some pub friends and what gets their attention is the water action and the boats.

If it was being viewed on TV then maybe the syrupy personality parts would have seeped down deeper.

Those special effects water wise are actually excellent, the drips on the lens and such when surfacing and shaking off the Cup and on when on board.

#67 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:49 AM

It was very well done especially when you look at it as chapter 1 of 90 chapter book. The preface.

Opinions here seem a bit pre-determined, they didn't need to actually watch it (if they even watched it). I think pros would give it two thumbs up.

Calm yourself monkey boy. You and Clean's scatological obssesions remind me that the web is 50% porno driven. Clean sees pole dancing monkey women in boat graphics. You get hot on advertising copy.

Fuck you. I was first to post the Goddess Artemis with her leg wrapped around the pole!

Pole Dancer (PD) from here on, SAAC lore.

#68 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:24 AM

I was first to post the Goddess Artemis with her leg wrapped around the pole!

Not something I'd advertise, certainly Clean has taken up the torch on it. I suppose frequent viewing of pole dancing makes the association.

Sometimes a legendary goddess with her bow is just a legendary goddess with her bow.

#69 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:36 AM

Torbin Tornquist
Billionaire sailor
Challenger or Record
Prefers the other kind.

Pole dancing is art
that sometime misses.
Pay more more money
to enjoy the right one.

#70 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

Fuck you. I was first to post the Goddess Artemis with her leg wrapped around the pole!

Temper temper, what a childish comment.

#71 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Am I the only one who thought, "I'm not buying that Jimmy Spithill drives a Toyota Camry"? I know it's completely irrelevant, but I mean ... I just didn't see that one coming.

Anyways, I just had some non-sailing friends watch it. They didn't pay attention to any of the narrative after a while because it was boring. They liked the cool sailing footage, as did I, but my friend Matt said he'd prefer to be able to access the action in short videos. He was like, "This is like the time you made me watch that show on CNN, except the CNN one was way better because they had that one hot chick on it who was really interesting."

I like the concept, but this just wasn't exciting to me at all. It's missing something, or maybe it has too much something.

Edit: I thought the Kiwi talking shit about beating an Ozzie was fucking hilarious.

I have a couple of not sailing guinea pigs around I can test on the things ACEA does. Usually they are excited by the boats and any OTW action. Some of them think the AC will be competed for in the current boats (AC45), this is the impression the PR makes currently. So, something is going wrong here, or is it a deliberate mis-information/omission to promote the AC45?

Anyay, here is the assessment of the video by my favorite guinea pig:
- Beautiful pictures, especially the dramatic intro.
- Too many "heads" and spoken parts without action.
- The attention abated after half of the program, during the long section with JS.
- Info about the boats was missed, like measures and technical data, incl. graphics.
- Same for the race format, no mention, no graphics, leaves the viewer wondering about what to expect at the events.
- No info about why there are two boat classes.
- The national aspect (e.g. China vs. Sweden, USA vs. NZ) is not emphasized enough and would increase the attention and identification of the general public.
- More historical footage to underline the importance of the event/Cup competition is needed.
=> The first of many programs, so there is still a lot of potential. All in all a very well made format, professionally presented.

#72 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

2 minutes in and I gave up

"Larry Ellisons Oracle Racing are the current holders" (of the cup)

FAIL. If they can't get the basics right then I don't hold any hope for the rest of it so I won't bother. They got one chance and they blew it within 2 minutes.

No sign of it anywhere on the TVNZ site or being broadcast in the near future.

#73 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I have a couple of not sailing guinea pigs around I can test on the things ACEA does. Usually they are excited by the boats and any OTW action. Some of them think the AC will be competed for in the current boats (AC45), this is the impression the PR makes currently. So, something is going wrong here, or is it a deliberate mis-information/omission to promote the AC45?

Anyay, here is the assessment of the video by my favorite guinea pig:
- Beautiful pictures, especially the dramatic intro.
- Too many "heads" and spoken parts without action.
- The attention abated after half of the program, during the long section with JS.
- Info about the boats was missed, like measures and technical data, incl. graphics.
- Same for the race format, no mention, no graphics, leaves the viewer wondering about what to expect at the events.
- The national aspect (e.g. China vs. Sweden, USA vs. NZ) is not emphasized enough and would increase the attention and identification of the general public.
- More historical footage to underline the importance of the event/Cup competition is needed.
=> The first of many programs, so there is still a lot of potential. All in all a very well made format, professionally presented.

They know they have 89 more episodes to produce and can't repeat themselves too often, so they gave to keep some of their powder dry!

#74 Cadet

Cadet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Produced and directed by Brits? Not surprising coz as you know, the core team at S&V is Brit, albeit with a bit of Hollywood savvy.

I thought the pace and editing was pretty decent. They certainly had lots of good action to work with. They condensed a lot into a 30-minute intro for the general public. My big quibble is with the voiceover guy. Jasus! Incredibly weak. Just so obvious he was reading off a script, complete with kindergarten-like emphasis.

I really enjoyed it. I'm quite new to the America's Cup and it's such a complicated setup for a beginner to understand but I think they managed to get the basics across very well. They have another 89 shows to go into more details remember.

I agree about the voice guy. Not keen on him. I prefer the voiceover guy that's used over the Cascais section in the middle, it seems less forced, but maybe that's because I'm a Brit!

#75 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

They know they have 89 more episodes to produce and can't repeat themselves too often, so they gave to keep some of their powder dry!

I think that was clear from both of my posts re. this subject. If not, yes, I agree (and the guinea pig too).

#76 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

oops, forgot the smiley

#77 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

It's like some photograph of the Russian revolution where there's a gap at Lenin's side where Trotsky has been air-brushed out of history. ML as CoR - gone. RC's sojourn at Alinghi - gone.

Those "I am an athlete and my body is a templet" shots of JS in the gym were slightly undermined by the footage of his stuffing a burger into his mouth, shown twice. Though to be fair, the mini-autobio by JS was the most interesting part for me. Anybody else spot that the same reaction shot of a press conference crowd laughing was used twice? Maybe they only laughed the once.

And does the editor receive an electric shock to the genitalia if he holds a shot for more than three seconds?

Ghastly. I feel stupider just through watching it. Maybe it will improve when there is some racing to show.

#78 Cadet

Cadet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

It's like some photograph of the Russian revolution where there's a gap at Lenin's side where Trotsky has been air-brushed out of history. ML as CoR - gone. RC's sojourn at Alinghi - gone.

But what's to say they won't mention all that later down the line? It's just not important enough to dwell on in the first episode.

#79 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

But what's to say they won't mention all that later down the line? It's just not important enough to dwell on in the first episode.

As someone who has, for several years now, been observing the propaganda machine that is the team previously known as BMWO, I seriously doubt it. Furthermore the way Artemis was presented as becoming CoR came close to a downright lie, quite apart from the fact that, for the DoGmatically inclined, they are not the challenger and TO is not the defender.

#80 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Not something I'd advertise, certainly Clean has taken up the torch on it. I suppose frequent viewing of pole dancing makes the association.

Sometimes a legendary goddess with her bow is just a legendary goddess with her bow.

Perception is reality, and judging from my friends' reaction to the Artemis look, the Facebook Generation are frequent viewers of pole dancing. It is high on my list of things to ask Tornquvist when I get him on camera.

#81 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,137 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

So when Larry Ellison won the Cup in 2010 he had to get a new CoR before the action could begin. Artemis Racing from Sweden. Yeah right.

We have a lot of historians of the cup here.
Did we have ever had before 2 poodles in the same cup ? :D

#82 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Since the video makes a clear point of how the America's Cup will be in "massive AC72's" and then shows video graphics of what that will look like and then clearly states that "meanwhile the racers prepare in smaller AC45's", hard to understand how someone could miss them. If your "personal guinea pig" missed those clearly made points, the rest of the observations are a bit suspect. People who claim to have personal focus groups who happen to reflect their own preconceptions (funny how that is) is so common in online discussions as to be instantly discounted. Same principle that hearsay evidence is instantly dismissed as unreliable in court.

#83 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

oops, forgot the smiley

No worries from me. Hate the moronic smilies, understood the irony.

#84 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Perception is reality

You'll bump into a lot of poles you failed to "perceive".

...and judging from my friends' reaction to the Artemis look

"I'm sure the "Hey doesn't that look like the pole dancer we are watching?" had nothing to do with their "perception".

, the Facebook Generation are frequent viewers of pole dancing.

Usually it is the country of old men in bars, more a Flintstone thing.

It is high on my list of things to ask Tornquvist when I get him on camera.

Weren't you having enough trouble getting interviews? Starting with "I think your graphic looks like the porno dancers I watch a lot on my computer" is not going to get you a second interview.

#85 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Since the video makes a clear point of how the America's Cup will be in "massive AC72's" and then shows video graphics of what that will look like and then clearly states that "meanwhile the racers prepare in smaller AC45's", hard to understand how someone could miss them. If your "personal guinea pig" missed those clearly made points, the rest of the observations are a bit suspect. People who claim to have personal focus groups who happen to reflect their own preconceptions (funny how that is) is so common in online discussions as to be instantly discounted. Same principle that hearsay evidence is instantly dismissed as unreliable in court.

Reading comprehension again? Hard to understand a text that is longer than two sentences and covers more than one level, eh, Eagles? Again just quoting half of the original post to twist the meaning?
I'll explain it to you, so that you don't need to try to think. The first para of my post was a general observation, made before Episode 1, as this is quite new, remember?

The second para is dedicated to Epi 1.

BTW, since when is an internet forum a court or applies the same standards? Geeezzz, you are a delusional idiot.

#86 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

Weren't you having enough trouble getting interviews? Starting with "I think your graphic looks like the porno dancers I watch a lot on my computer" is not going to get you a second interview.

Who watches "porno dancers" on their computers? I think I am starting to understand why you're so frustrated with your life, Eagles. The last time you saw your dick much have been a decade ago!

You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Seems like I'm doing OK, but if you'd like to show me the interviews you've done with top AC folks to show how effective you are, I'm all eyes.

#87 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

Has this been already posted? "America's Cup: New TV graphics will be a sporting first"

Although I remember not all, but most of these graphics already applied to the AC32 coverage. Was it the German TV that did it individually?

#88 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Who watches "porno dancers" on their computers?

People who see pole dancers EVERYWHERE.

You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Seems like I'm doing OK, but if you'd like to show me the interviews you've done with top AC folks to show how effective you are, I'm all eyes.

I liked the online conferences where the "viewers" got to ask the questions. I don't see that kind of moderated live audience software in the new message board software. That would fun thing to organize.

#89 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

You are absolutely right, they did comment on the AC72s. But it also appears that they are, at this point, deliberately downplaying that the AC45s are a junior boat. And it makes perfect sense. Don't need people saying, "I'll wait for the real boats".

#90 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

I am still waiting to see ONE single shred of evidence that they are putting these things on pay-per-view after a week. Honestly want to know if I missed something, or if Eagles purely pulled it out of his ass.

#91 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,323 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Eagles doesn't even understand what pay-per-view means.

#92 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

Just re-watched the program.

As with most things there are items we would want to have said or shown. Several changes I would make; technical details, like 'choosing' the CoR and the multi-challenger aspect of the event. Maybe even give a short explanation of the DoG, more on how 'America' won it.

But we are not the only ones that they are trying to reach. There is a devining line of being sailing technical and sailing general to where it is relevant to both audiences, trying to hit that overlap. It is not an easy thing to do. Throw a ton of technical AC and sailing data in there and the general public is going to be totally lost and signed-off. I think they could have added just a touch more though.

You do have to start slow. And not throw a lot of baggage of the AC33 shitfight and ML's withdrawal. The public will not understand it.

I am prepared to see if they add more layers as the series progresses. I hope they do.

Interesting how they focused on ETNZ and not Artemis. Seems odd that they did not give the CoR first coverage and then work down the line. Banking on their long-term exposure?

#93 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

You are absolutely right, they did comment on the AC72s. But it also appears that they are, at this point, deliberately downplaying that the AC45s are a junior boat. And it makes perfect sense. Don't need people saying, "I'll wait for the real boats".

I see them promoting the CURRENT racing in the AC45's which is what they should be doing. That's one of the purpose of the AC45's to demonstrate the race in a smaller scale and to use them to attract public attention which worked exactly as hoped in San Francisco. The San Francisco racing and the THE CAPSIZE dominated the video.

As you note, they clearly stated that the America's Cup was in the larger AC72's. Only way someone could have missed that was to not watch it.

I'm sure they will repeat some of these points in each video as they use them to scaffold people's knowledge and interest in AC345.

As introduction to AC34, the video was excellent.

#94 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

The public will not understand it.

I don't think the notion of teams representing clubs is very hard to understand. Nor is the fact that VO challenged but could not raise the money to proceed very far from the life experiences of most of the public, who are mostly faced with the necessity of living within their means. If time can be found to discuss Kiwi/Australian rivalry, which isn't exactly a core aspect of AC34 in the absence of an Aussie team, then I'd have thought a sentence or two might be devoted to AC fundamentals.

#95 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

Interesting how they focused on ETNZ and not Artemis. Seems odd that they did not give the CoR first coverage and then work down the line. Banking on their long-term exposure?

Much was made of the positive economic benefits of the America's Cup on Auckland and on New Zealand public opinion. This was likely aimed at potential sponsors in the San Francisco Bay area and to the city itself. America's Cup as a worthy civic investment.

The Challenger of Record stuff is so inside baseball as to be meaningless. They correctly wasted no time on this irrelevancy while giving quick explanation of who Artemis was and the role in AC34.

#96 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

The public will not understand it.

I don't think the notion of teams representing clubs is very hard to understand. Nor is the fact that VO challenged but could not raise the money to proceed very far from the life experiences of most of the public, who are mostly faced with the necessity of living within their means. If time can be found to discuss Kiwi/Australian rivalry, which isn't exactly a core aspect of AC34 in the absence of an Aussie team, then I'd have thought a sentence or two might be devoted to AC fundamentals.

Absolutely where I agree that the certain 'rules of the road' could have been explained for the public. They did not want to publish bad news such as the CnDR/ML problem. It could have been done in a way to help some understand the difficulty of putting a winning effort together for a competition such as this.

#97 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

Eagles doesn't even understand what pay-per-view means.

I try to use the term Pay-to-view or pay-for-view to describe the subscription services of Comcast, BSkyB etc. I believe this is correct. If you don't pay your cable (Comcast) bill you do not view anything, you pay to view or you pay for all your viewing.

I try not to use Pay-per-View as that is subset within Pay-to-view, paying an additional premium for specific shows.

Like a majority of American's I get my information via the internet, watch movies on home monitors via the internet. The only time I employ Pay-for-view is during NFL season when I use my Pay-for-view DirectTV to add the premium Pay-per-view NFL ticket to watch...are you ready...the Eagles. DirectTV lets you suspend service for six months a year which is a nice feature.

Hope that explains what can be a confusing layer of pay for services.

In regard to AC34, I think they should have the America's Cup live on the web as a pay-per-view subscrtiption. Pay per view since it does not apply to one's entire internet viewing just a specific program, ergo the "per". I'd offer AC free with ads for basic services and a $20 enhanced version with no ads and all the on screen heads up display stuff, multi screens etc.

Once again, where is the evidence for pay per view, or ANYTHING you are running on about?

Hong Kong - PCCW
UK - BSkyB
Spain - Mediaset
Portugal - TVI
LATAM - ESPN Sur
New Zealand - TVNZ

Can't speak for all of them but ComCast is subscription, pay-to-view. I believe BSkyB in UK is also a subscription, pay-to-view.

In US case, ComCast Sports Network is one of 150 channels available on ComCast pay-for-view cable service. It is a very obscure channel that has no real sports content, high school football games, ladies auxiliary softball games etc. Typically free to Comcast content that is given away the events in hopes someone puts it on the telly. That AC34 is on Comcast Sports Channel is an admission no one wanted the AC programming. That AC34 went along with any deal with Comcast Sports means they do not have a good understanding of value of web broadcasting on the fact that a MAJORITY of America's get their content via the web and not TV. It shows a very Flintstone view by whoever is doing the marketing of AC34 video.

AC34 should be focusing on 100% web broadcasting with advertising, with premium subscription features with an idea to using the content to draw more and more people into the website and the event. THAT is something with which I agree with Dalton. THAT is something Dalton should be spending his time lobbying for within the Challenger's Forum vs. his counterproductive grenade tossing.

#98 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

I try to use the term Pay-to-view or pay-for-view to describe the subscription services of Comcast, BSkyB etc. I believe this is correct. If you don't pay your cable (Comcast) bill you do not view anything, you pay to view or you pay for your all your viewing.

I try not to use Pay-per-View as that is subset within Pay-to-view, paying an additional premium for specific shows.

Like a majority of American's I get my information via the internet, watch movies on home monitors via the internet. The only time I employ Pay-for-view is during NFL season when I use my Pay-for-view DirectTV to add the premium Pay-per-view NFL ticket to watch...are you ready...the Eagles. DirectTV lets you suspend service for six months a year which is a nice feature.

In regard to AC34, I think they should have the America's Cup live on the web as a pay-per-view subscrtiption. Pay per view since it does not apply to one's entire internet viewing just a specific program, ergo the "per". I'd offer AC free with ads for basic services and a $20 enhanced version with no ads and all the on screen heads up display stuff, multi screens etc.

1- Any evidence available?
2- Why?

#99 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

I try to use the term Pay-to-view or pay-for-view to describe the subscription services of Comcast, BSkyB etc. I believe this is correct. If you don't pay your cable (Comcast) bill you do not view anything, you pay to view or you pay for your all your viewing.

1- Any evidence available?

In surveys conducted by the Pew Project for Excellence in Journalism, 34% of respondents said they read news online within the past 24 hours (as opposed to 31% who favored newspapers); and a full 41% said they get most of their news online, 10% more than those who said they got most of their news from a newspaper Of course, the 18-to-29-year-old group overwhelmingly cast their vote with the web; 65% said the Internet was their main news source.

2- Why?

I control the vertical, I control the horizontal. I think watching TV is too passive when one can get the info on the internet, drill down or up. I like how many online news providers add Google Map links to stories.

#100 katie burns

katie burns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

Oh, don't you worry. There are going to be eighty-nine more of these. Hooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users