"America's Cup Uncovered" Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
731 replies to this topic

#701 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

:lol: Tough audience!

#702 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

I didn't notice, what was your first clue ?

#703 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

This week on America's Cup Discovered we look at the evolution of multi-hulls over past years and how they have influenced the AC72. Then we take a look behind the scenes at the teams last minute preparations before seeing the launch and testing of their new winged hydro machines.

#704 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

^ I saw a ghost!

#705 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Shocker.

I watched the latest one thinking we would see some great new footage of Artemis 45 foiling, some of the OR & AR match up, and a few insider interviews on what we might see this week with OR boat 2...

Instead Terry Hutch is telling us how scared we should all be of these beasts, and that there isn't time to change boat 2 designs. Huh?

It's dated the 20th April 2012, but I am certain it is June 2012!!!

#706 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

#707 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

This week America's Cup Discovered brings you more race highlights from 2012/2013 America's Cup World Series in Naples, Italy with commentators Gary Jobson, Kenny Read and Todd Harris.

#708 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

Similar subject, mostly Naples, this iTunes conversation between Andy Rice and Jack Griffin is very good-quality. Follow the direction at http://www.cupexperi...ae4c6c-72552193

#709 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Double Feature for a very sad reason:

This week on America's Cup Discovered we look at the last America's Cup World Series event in Naples, Italy. The Louis Vuitton Cup is getting ever closer, and teams are desperately getting in as much practice before upgrading from the AC45 to the AC72 machine.

This week on Discovered the America's Cup family is in mourning, after British Olympic Gold medalist Andrew Simpson died when Artemis Racing capsized during training on the waters of San Francisco Bay last week. Simpson was an inspiring character on the world sailing scene and a keen promoter of the young sailors followed by America's Cup Discovered in February this year, during their efforts to qualify for a place in the starting line up for the Red Bull Youth America's Cup.

#710 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

This week on Discovered we report on the Red Bull Youth America's Cup Selection Series. We follow the young teams as they are put through their paces as they fight to secure a place in the Red Bull Youth America's Cup taking place this September on the San Francisco Bay. Don't miss wake up calls, gym sessions, on the water training and more.

#711 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

jesus no one at all watches these anymore.  4,000 and change views for last week's.

No one watches your ETNZ video either.

#712 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

^ Ouch!

#713 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

Published on 29 May 2013

AC UNCUT's Genny Tulloch joins ORACLE TEAM USA for a cross training climbing session at San Francisco's Planet Granite.

#714 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

jesus no one at all watches these anymore.  4,000 and change views for last week's.

No one watches your ETNZ video either.

Te he he

People in glass houses . . . .

#715 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

The next "unwatchable"? Well, could be fun with historic footage.

This week on Discovered we go back in time to 1851. We review America's Cup history and design of the America's Cup boats from then to now. Enjoy archived footage of Stars & Stripes, Alinghi, BMW Oracle Racing and more.

#716 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

The next "unwatchable"? Well, could be fun with historic footage.

Speaking of 'watches' my guess from the 'presented by Louis Vuitton Watches' nature of the series, that LV is who cut back on the production budget after about Episode 20, when Sunset&Vine stopped sending crews all over the place.

Only 8 left, right? Hopefully there will be plenty of AC coverage coming from other directions by that time and so this won't be missed.

#717 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

^ I haven't watched this for aages. Does anyone else?

#718 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Actually, quite interesting but you have to keep in mind that these vids are made for those not familiar with AC.(which rules out most SA participants.

One thing that urks me is the constant banter about the development of the youth sailors for the AC. The 45's are banded abut as the answer.

Go to any yacht club in NZ and there will be multiple classes for various ages and skill level. From opti, star... building up to Olympic sailing, maxi's, VOR......

There are ample opportunities for sailors to develop their skills. The 45's are simply a mechanism to promote the AC  - propoganda

#719 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

There are ample opportunities for sailors to develop their skills. The 45's are simply a mechanism to promote the AC  - propoganda

You have raised an important point.

They have already fucked-up this youth league thing by touting it as the next generation in waiting.

As usual, it is a cultural problem. The US "Force" (or whatever it is) AC45 team think  they are already famous and so have a full-on media and "communications"  strategy. They probably have advisers to run it.  No doubt, our US colleagues will think this is fine. SA necessary part of fund-raising etc.  

But the average New Zealander would have the Ed Hillary attitude. STFU until you have done something.  Get the job done! Then talk.

I hope the 45s have a future but this California-centred "sailing as spectacle," "sailing as very big display," is very tiresome. 

As you say, in Aotearoa there are numerous ways to have fun on the water. Without all the posing and strutting. 

I hope AC45s open doors for younger sailors.  But, can it be done without the AC-as-mega-global-humungous-big-business propanganda? 

Maybe with a bit of modesty and restraint?  

Moreover, when the next AC regatta rolls around, there will be plenty of sailors. Some with AC45 experience. But not many.

#720 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

You have raised an important point.

They have already fucked-up this youth league thing by touting it as the next generation in waiting.

As usual, it is a cultural problem. The US "Force" (or whatever it is) AC45 team think  they are already famous and so have a full-on media and "communications"  strategy. They probably have advisers to run it.  No doubt, our US colleagues will think this is fine. SA necessary part of fund-raising etc.  

But the average New Zealander would have the Ed Hillary attitude. STFU until you have done something.  Get the job done! Then talk.

You can't honestly believe what you post as you are consistently anti-everything. Asked the teams themselves ? Seems they had an overwhelming response to the event and the teams are pretty motivated with the concept. Never been done before so why not be objective and se how it turns out ? Too much a stretch for you ?

Sponsorship and budgets are part of what it takes to put a team together. At 18 to 24 could you have raised between $150K to $300K in sponsorship to go race in an event ? Like all teams these guys are proud of what they are doing and promoting the teams is all part of it regardless of what country you represent.

As far as the NZ culture, you popped off about this early on until Grumpy proved you totally wrong and the "Grumpy gag order" was put in place in SD.

Spare us the culture lessons.  

#721 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

^^ OK, don't quote him so we have to see what we don't want to........... ;)

My eyes......my eyes............................... :blink:

#722 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

This week on Discovered we see three AC72s training on the San Francisco Bay for the first time. We talk to designers about the evolution of the America's Cup yachts. Then we review the America's Cup World Series tour from the very first event in Cascais, Portugal to our finale in Naples, Italy

#723 Alpina

Alpina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

WTF is wrong with the people producing this? How can they not get dates, years and AC editions correct?

#724 pastortim

pastortim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Any consideration being given to maybe doing a show about the AC72's that are sailing on the S.F. Bay RIGHT NOW????????

You know maybe do some interviews with the teams that are sailing? perhaps ask them about how the training is going??? what changes are being made to the boats...etc....

I know it sounds stupid to suggest actually talking to teams, designers, managers, data handlers and get some information from them about how the CURRENT SAILING is going

Tooo much to ask?????? i am quite sure i am not the only one who is sick of hearing the same things rehashed over and over, and you have got to admit that it is a bit lame rehashing info. about past America's Cup races every week and about the ACWS from last year. We wait every week for that show, hoping for something good, something current, and get let down every week

I recommend either getting off your asses and doing a show about what is happening RIGHT NOW or............stop doing them...............my 2cents

#725 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Any consideration being given to maybe doing a show about the AC72's that are sailing on the S.F. Bay RIGHT NOW????????
You know maybe do some interviews with the teams that are sailing? perhaps ask them about how the training is going??? what changes are being made to the boats...etc....
I know it sounds stupid to suggest actually talking to teams, designers, managers, data handlers and get some information from them about how the CURRENT SAILING is going
Tooo much to ask?????? i am quite sure i am not the only one who is sick of hearing the same things rehashed over and over, and you have got to admit that it is a bit lame rehashing info. about past America's Cup races every week and about the ACWS from last year. We wait every week for that show, hoping for something good, something current, and get let down every week
I recommend either getting off your asses and doing a show about what is happening RIGHT NOW or............stop doing them...............my 2cents

All good questions but I am afraid that any good team manager would sack the first guy that gave any specific answers .
This is the AC after all :)

#726 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Saturday again!

Emph. mine (I thought 99 were planned):

In the final episode of America's Cup Discovered we join Ben Ainslie in Cowes, Isle of Wigh as his AC45 team JP Morgan BAR smash the Round the Island Race multihull record. Back in San Francisco we see ORACLE TEAM USA and Emirates Team New Zealand line up their AC72s for the first time on the future America's Cup race course. The countdown is on to the Summer of Racing in San Francisco.

#727 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,177 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

In the final episode of America's Cup Discovered we join Ben Ainslie in Cowes, Isle of Wigh as his AC45 team JP Morgan BAR smash the Round the Island Race multihull record. Back in San Francisco we see ORACLE TEAM USA and Emirates Team New Zealand line up their AC72s for the first time on the future America's Cup race course. The countdown is on to the Summer of Racing in San Francisco.

Covering all the big stories then.

#728 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I saw a piece about a new production coming, by a different team. Can't remember if I posted the link.

#729 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

34th America's Cup: Racing To Win
By Chris Stanton on 26 June 2013 in Sailing

Tweet

Get a behind-the-scenes look at sailing's America's Cup in the first of a series of videos.
The series entitled No Second Place offers a new perspective on the world of sailing by turning the camera on the teams competing at the 34th America's Cup in San Francisco on September 7-21, 2013.

The documentary-style series goes inside the teams, boat designs, training regimens and strategy, amongst other elements.

The first episode highlights the power of the new AC72s as the America's Cup speeds its way towards September when ORACLE TEAM USA will hope to defend their title, however New Zealand, Italy and the Swiss team are all gunning for the trophy too.

The elite sailors are constantly pushing the limits of both themselves and the AC72 and this opening show includes interviews from the team members as they break down what it will take to raise the cup.

http://www.redbull.c...p-racing-to-win

#730 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

^

#731 sclarke

sclarke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

^

Did anyone else hear James Spithill say: If you make a mistake, you get punished. Do you?? Really?? Why didn't they say if you make a mistake, you can change the rules and punish everyone else. Because that's THE TRUTH!

#732 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

34th America's Cup: Racing To Win
By Chris Stanton on 26 June 2013 in Sailing
Tweet
Get a behind-the-scenes look at sailing's America's Cup in the first of a series of videos.
The series entitled No Second Place offers a new perspective on the world of sailing by turning the camera on the teams competing at the 34th America's Cup in San Francisco on September 7-21, 2013.
The documentary-style series goes inside the teams, boat designs, training regimens and strategy, amongst other elements.
The first episode highlights the power of the new AC72s as the America's Cup speeds its way towards September when ORACLE TEAM USA will hope to defend their title, however New Zealand, Italy and the Swiss team are all gunning for the trophy too.
The elite sailors are constantly pushing the limits of both themselves and the AC72 and this opening show includes interviews from the team members as they break down what it will take to raise the cup.
http://www.redbull.c...p-racing-to-win

Looks like Alinghi slipped in there unnoticed....