• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

links at link
http://www.americasc...n-for-Liveline/

SPORTS BUSINESS AWARD NOMINATION FOR LIVELINE
POSTED ON 20 MARCH 2012

The America's Cup Event Authority and Sportvision have been nominated for a Sports Business Award for LiveLine, the cutting-edge graphics technology that features on America's Cup television broadcasts.

Nominated in the Best in Sports Technology category, LiveLine is being recognized as a breakthrough in sports broadcasting, as the first time in televised sport that augmented reality has been done live from a helicopter. Solving the problem unseen in other sports - moving participants, cameras and playing field - LiveLine tracks the boats and course boundaries in real-time through live video, transforming live sports graphics in the process.

To learn more about LiveLine and how it has helped to transform America's Cup broadcasts by inserting lay lines, boat positions and speeds, see our LiveLine videos on YouTube.

The full nomination presentation from Sports Business is here.

#402 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

http://www.americasc...my-Nomination-/

LIVELINE GETS EMMY NOD
POSTED ON 21 MARCH 2012

A new computer graphics and data technology that allows international television viewers to see America’s Cup racing with a closeness and accuracy never before possible has been recognized with an Emmy nomination.

The backbone of the America’s Cup television broadcasting, the revolutionary LiveLine data and graphics system has been nominated for the George Wensel Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, which recognizes extraordinary technical innovation that enhances the broadcast for viewers.

With the goal of growing the sport of sailing internationally, the organizers of the 34th America’s Cup have made a significant investment in the spectator experience.

"The America's Cup has always been at the forefront of innovation for technology,” said Jon Miller, President, Programming, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network. "We want to congratulate LiveLine on their Emmy nomination and are excited to able to work with them to provide this kind of cutting edge technology into our upcoming America's Cup broadcasts."

Developed exclusively for America’s cup broadcasts by the America’s Cup Event Authority and Sportvision, LiveLine does what was previously impossible: overlay geo-positioned lines and data streams at 2 cm accuracy on live racecourse video shot from rapidly moving helicopter and water-based platforms. The result? Understandable action for spectators and precise data for race management operations.

Led by Director of Technology Stan Honey and the same team that developed the yellow first-down line widely used in the broadcast of American football and the Race/FX tracking and highlighting system used in NASCAR, this revolutionary graphics system was designed to have a similar effect on the America’s Cup as with car racing and football - connect new audiences to the sport. The LiveLine superimposed graphic elements are used as technical aids for viewers, such as ahead-behind lines that enable audiences to clearly see who is leading the race.

"In an industry which throws the term 'genius' about with merry abandonment, Stan Honey is the real article,” said David Hill, Chairman and CEO, Fox Sports Media Group. “I'm absolutely thrilled that once again his genius is being recognized."

Driven by a GPS system that can track the America’s Cup catamarans to within a two-centimeter accuracy on the race course, event organizers quickly saw the opportunity to leverage the system for on-the-water management of the sport. Telemetering of the course is allowing for rapid movement of marks and controlling course limits, while use of real-time overlap and zone-entry determinations enable umpires to make the most accurate decisions ever possible. One of the greatest results has been that every race held to date has finished on time, something that had previously been impossible in a sport dependent upon wind.

“Stan Honey's use of graphic technology to make sailing understandable for both the casual fan and the veteran racer is extraordinary, making sailing exciting and more fun to watch,” said America’s Cup Hall of Fame honoree and US Sailing President, Gary Jobson. “I believe this groundbreaking innovation has the power to truly connect new audiences to our sport.”

#403 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well done to all involved, it's great work. (hand clapping smiley goes here)

#404 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

^^This rocks

Having seen a recent presentation to a bunch of senior technology execs in the bay area and their jaw dropped, saucer eyeball reaction it is a nomination well deserved. They were mostly sailing novices but really connected to what Stan and the team have put together.

#405 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,036 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

http://www.americasc...my-Nomination-/

LIVELINE GETS EMMY NOD
POSTED ON 21 MARCH 2012

A new computer graphics and data technology that allows international television viewers to see America's Cup racing with a closeness and accuracy never before possible has been recognized with an Emmy nomination.

The backbone of the America's Cup television broadcasting, the revolutionary LiveLine data and graphics system has been nominated for the George Wensel Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, which recognizes extraordinary technical innovation that enhances the broadcast for viewers.

With the goal of growing the sport of sailing internationally, the organizers of the 34th America's Cup have made a significant investment in the spectator experience.

"The America's Cup has always been at the forefront of innovation for technology," said Jon Miller, President, Programming, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network. "We want to congratulate LiveLine on their Emmy nomination and are excited to able to work with them to provide this kind of cutting edge technology into our upcoming America's Cup broadcasts."

Developed exclusively for America's cup broadcasts by the America's Cup Event Authority and Sportvision, LiveLine does what was previously impossible: overlay geo-positioned lines and data streams at 2 cm accuracy on live racecourse video shot from rapidly moving helicopter and water-based platforms. The result? Understandable action for spectators and precise data for race management operations.

Led by Director of Technology Stan Honey and the same team that developed the yellow first-down line widely used in the broadcast of American football and the Race/FX tracking and highlighting system used in NASCAR, this revolutionary graphics system was designed to have a similar effect on the America's Cup as with car racing and football - connect new audiences to the sport. The LiveLine superimposed graphic elements are used as technical aids for viewers, such as ahead-behind lines that enable audiences to clearly see who is leading the race.

"In an industry which throws the term 'genius' about with merry abandonment, Stan Honey is the real article," said David Hill, Chairman and CEO, Fox Sports Media Group. "I'm absolutely thrilled that once again his genius is being recognized."

Driven by a GPS system that can track the America's Cup catamarans to within a two-centimeter accuracy on the race course, event organizers quickly saw the opportunity to leverage the system for on-the-water management of the sport. Telemetering of the course is allowing for rapid movement of marks and controlling course limits, while use of real-time overlap and zone-entry determinations enable umpires to make the most accurate decisions ever possible. One of the greatest results has been that every race held to date has finished on time, something that had previously been impossible in a sport dependent upon wind.

"Stan Honey's use of graphic technology to make sailing understandable for both the casual fan and the veteran racer is extraordinary, making sailing exciting and more fun to watch," said America's Cup Hall of Fame honoree and US Sailing President, Gary Jobson. "I believe this groundbreaking innovation has the power to truly connect new audiences to our sport."

A positive development in a sea of negativity, at least here.

#406 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

For Live to a phone, even just a simple Who Is Ahead real-time bar would be compelling.

It's not that simple a calculation but could be figured with some polar math. Wish they just included some calculated data too?

I believe there are some efforts going to get the Race Management data stream more available through LightStreamer, out there, but as you say it would be good to have "all" the data manipulation/calculation that everyone would need, and perhaps more, as part of the data platform. It takes the computational load of the mobile device, and allows the developers to concentrate on the presentation layer, albeit in some cases that might also be CPU intensive depending on the visualization.

Right. Absent what you suggest, you'd almost want to set up a 'SmartStreamer' for the end-device to connect to. example:

LightStreamer -> SmartStreamer -> DisplayApp

The DisplayApp could subscribe to Smart services as appropriate to what View they select, such as Module(views): Countdown (to start, race details) Who's Ahead (bar chart, overview plot, ..), Speeds (current, average, gaining..), Penalty Statuses (outstanding, completed), Tide (..). Wind (..), Boat (OR readouts, AR, ..) - the service connected to depending on the mode selected. ie: multiple thin smart-pipes instead of a really fat raw-data pipe.

An advantage of having that SmartStreamer (or better yet, the derived data being already calc'd and available from LightStreamer as the source) besides lightening the end-device load, is easier device independence thru simpler apps.

I'm guessing that the trick for them would be to reach deeper into to their own down-stream processes for getting feeds of the richer stuff; but that may interfere with their own s/w and it's hard to know how easy it would be to pipe/serve what may be direct graphics or polar API calls for them internally. Could be too big an ask. A SmartStreamer may also insulate one from needing to make specific asks of them - and give yourself much better control of the derivations you're after.

SH said in the video above (think he said so in Seattle too) he thinks there is now source code posted - is that true and is it LS based?

Stingers. Your thoughts regarding the "SmartStreamer" concept are mostly spot-on and where some not insignificant planning activities have been oriented.

The only downside is that adding another layer of redirection will delay data delivery. Although this will only really be an impact to apps being used on-location (assuming a way to synchronize with video on the client can be achieved, where ever in the world they happen to be); but enough of a need to either build the extra smarts into the LigtStreamer solution when it comes on line, or into a similar solution.

It's imperative that the needs of supporting the race management activities and Liveline etc. be keep as isolated from any "external" use of the underlying data as possible.

The raw stream data (that is available) is derived from the needs of these internal ACEA/RM systems; but there is a limit to what this stream can provide with out impact. The underlying raw data is sufficient to recreate any smarts Stan and the team have worked out, and I'm sure they will be more then happy to help fill the knowledge gaps for those with the right motivations.

The ideas are out there, but funds are limited both within ACEA (given recent news); and still in the general economy itself impacting organizations ability to get involved. However bringing interested organizations together may be a way to bridge that gap...with a common need for an elegant data solution so they can concentrate on the visualizations and experience augmentation.

BTW did you see the article about the Google Head Up Display Glasses....now that is an opportunity for an very cool AC34 augmented reality experience...think "Your Liveline from Your Perspective"!

#407 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

^ Yes, had seen the HUD article and had the same thought.

It's possible G would even want/promote AC34 as a good intro/prototype.

#408 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Neat idea,

Google Wind Map
http://mashable.com/...03/28/wind-map/

#409 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Neat idea,

Google Wind Map
http://mashable.com/...03/28/wind-map/

Yes, it is cool.

Looks sort of like the late Farrah Fawcett's hair.

Maybe we'd up with wind patterns named after hairdo's on hot chicks.

#410 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

All

In case you are interested the ACRA technology team have made the data from the events via a scalable solution (Lightstreamer) and details can be found here. I'll check it out a bit; but seem it may be a little more then a repackaging of the raw stream.

#411 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

^ Looks good.
--

RRSAC Rule 18 video explanation by Jack Griffin
http://www.cupexperi...urprising-rule/

#412 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Maybe this belongs best here

iTunes link:

America's Cup - Speed Trials

Posted Image

#413 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

RRSAC Rule 18 video explanation by Jack Griffin
http://www.cupexperi...urprising-rule/

Embedding that video:

#414 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Very good replay and explanation of Coutts-Spithill at leeward mark (penalty Spithill).
Umpire and real videos.
By Jack in Cupexperience.

#415 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Very good replay and explanation of Coutts-Spithill at leeward mark (penalty Spithill).
Umpire and real videos.

Great stuff - good to see someone making something of the data that is available.

#416 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I'd like to know who, from this forum, will be in Naples this week. I might have some time
to meet with you. I know xlot will be here in a couple of days.

#417 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'd like to know who, from this forum, will be in Naples this week. I might have some time

Good to know that you are still there - I wasn't sure who had survived the massacre.

Trust all goes well in Naples and you all continue, 'onwards and upwards'.

Good luck with.... Posted Image

#418 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Reconfirming that I arrive tomorrow afternoon (Tue). Looking forward to meeting you and seeng Xlot again. Hoping to meet other followers of this thread!

#419 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Umpire and real videos.

Great stuff - good to see someone making something of the data that is available.

Thanks for the encouragement. More on the way. Requests and suggestions for improvement welcome, here, via email (jack.griffin@cupexperience.com) or especially on CupExperience.

#420 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Really felt privileged as oysterhead gave me a royal, super-exclusive tour of ACTV facilities (Jack Griffin had just gone on an interview when the call came, hopefully he'll get a replica). Given my declared ignorance on specifics, the - extremely pleasant - presentation was mainly on strategic decisions and work organization. It must be said that, even after the latest RIF, the scale of the operation is simply jaw-dropping: my guess is at least at the same level as F1. Of course, the part I could understand more was LiveLine and data collection towards boat polars, truly captivating.

#421 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Really felt privileged as oysterhead gave me a royal, super-exclusive tour of ACTV facilities (Jack Griffin had just gone on an interview when the call came, hopefully he'll get a replica). Given my declared ignorance on specifics, the - extremely pleasant - presentation was mainly on strategic decisions and work organization. It must be said that, even after the latest RIF, the scale of the operation is simply jaw-dropping: my guess is at least at the same level as F1. Of course, the part I could understand more was LiveLine and data collection towards boat polars, truly captivating.

I just put up a few shots of the production facilities and crew on the Naples thread - good luck to Oysterhead and the rest of the people bringing us the show

Posted Image

#422 acintel

acintel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

Well, the coverage of Naples Day One was not that great. Still work to do.
Too much graphics kills info. Better place them at the right moment.

#423 Cobra 524

Cobra 524

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Like the new wind indicator. 100m lines were good for scale.

Helicopter footage seemed to be very wide angle the whole time, but that was probably due to the big separation in the fleet.

#424 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Not sure if the ACTV guys are catching the critiques in the Naples thread, but collectively they are saying that the director and commentators don't seem to be matching up in their timing.

There will be great action or close racing and then the camera will cut away to a boat (usually Oracle) alone on the course. I know the commentators are in small booths with the screens in front of them....do the directors likewise hear the commentary?

#425 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Not sure if the ACTV guys are catching the critiques in the Naples thread, but collectively they are saying that the director and commentators don't seem to be matching up in their timing.

There will be great action or close racing and then the camera will cut away to a boat (usually Oracle) alone on the course. I know the commentators are in small booths with the screens in front of them....do the directors likewise hear the commentary?

Good idea throwing that up here Dixie. I wonder how much emphasis is placed on the 'YouTube' commentary, now that there are apparently several big broadcasters doing their own, IIRC

Still hoping it will pick up though. Who knows how big the YouTube audience is potentially - given the right coverage!

#426 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Clean let's rip on the FP - actually fairly balanced for him!

ac dope two steps back

We weren't quite sure what to expect from the new, heavily streamlined new America's Cup World Series program, but we certainly didn't expect the broadcast to suck quite as much as it did, especially in 25 knots and big, steep seas. Feel free to check the Day 1 report here to see what we mean – here are our observations from the cheap seats:

#427 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Clean let's rip on the FP - actually fairly balanced for him!

ac dope two steps back

We weren't quite sure what to expect from the new, heavily streamlined new America's Cup World Series program, but we certainly didn't expect the broadcast to suck quite as much as it did, especially in 25 knots and big, steep seas. Feel free to check the Day 1 report here to see what we mean – here are our observations from the cheap seats:

I don't know who Gary Jobson is, but he sure is boring... The coverage is really a step back from San Diego. :(

The french comments on Canal+ today were much better, with Loick Peyron giving sharp analysis of how the teams are doing (when the camera took notice of what was happening on the water...)

#428 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hey Oysterhead...
Any chance of getting the boat speeds shown onscreen again. It adds a lot when you can see the speed difference between boats and also between areas of the course.

I know you all are doing your best after the budget and staff cuts. Keep up the good work.

#429 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

i found running youtube on the computer screen and virtual eye, with boat speeds, on an external monitor worked really well

was able to pan and zoom virtual eye to watch whatever part of the fleet race I was interested in as the youtube cameras jumped around the fleet

it was a load on the computer processor though so if your computer is old it may cause too much judder

youtube live seems to have about 10sec lag from the real time VE

but you get used to that

other big plus of the VE output was being able to watch the match races after youtube went to interviews

#430 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

i found running youtube on the computer screen and virtual eye, with boat speeds, on an external monitor worked really well

was able to pan and zoom virtual eye to watch whatever part of the fleet race I was interested in as the youtube cameras jumped around the fleet

it was a load on the computer processor though so if your computer is old it may cause too much judder

youtube live seems to have about 10sec lag from the real time VE

but you get used to that

other big plus of the VE output was being able to watch the match races after youtube went to interviews

ee,
Thanks for the tip. I'll go dual screen tomorrow. I finally got HD YouTube to the big screen and I can put VE on the laptop, sit back and go armchair racing.

#431 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hey Oysterhead...
Any chance of getting the boat speeds shown onscreen again. It adds a lot when you can see the speed difference between boats and also between areas of the course.

I know you all are doing your best after the budget and staff cuts. Keep up the good work.

They went in a few times yesterday and the day before. Not as frequently as prior events.
They are still there, as are a load of other things... Keep the faith. We're still here, in the
background of the storm.

#432 Alpina

Alpina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Is there any chance of displaying the acceleration in some form? Are the g-meters on board the boats?

#433 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Is there any chance of displaying the acceleration in some form? Are the g-meters on board the boats?

There's a very accurate 'g'....PS - that and some basic maths and you've got all you need.Posted Image

#434 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Just a thought on the cost of putting the choppers up...If this cost is what is causing the limitations in coverage...

There are two choppers needed right, one for the liveline camera, and one for picking up the on-board video and boat telemetry ? So at least one chopper has to be airborne, and that is needed for the race management systems too. Is this correct ?

The basis for Liveline came from other prior projects to augment reality for sports with fixed camera positions. It there an "opportunity" to set up some fixed camera positions from on high vantage points at the events, and have separate augmented feeds that production can incorporate ? Do the stabilized cameras exist with big enough lenses to get the needed shots?

To do that they'd need to replicate Oysterhead of course...and the "limited" system to support those vantage point feds. Given the fixed positions, the technology is readily available to get the feed back to the production facility, especially if line of sight, that a high vantage point might offer.

The 1 Million $ question though: Is this less expensive than putting the second chopper in the air ? Perhaps not ?

Other options could be tethered balloons (to land) with remote cameras ? Just need to keep the telemetry chopper out the way...and hope the tether does not break... :ph34r:

I'm sure other options are being looked at but this might be the best they could do for Naples given the recent budget changes only happened a few weeks back, from what we all saw (who knows from the inside).

#435 Andrew S

Andrew S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

just my 2 cents-

I thought the racing footage from Naples was pretty darn good. Especially given all the rain.

NOT a fan of Jobson. At all.

I watch the replay footage, so not having replays up in HD was quite a disappointment.

I much prefer fleet racing to match racing, so MR taking second fiddle to the FR is fine by me.

All together, this remains by far and away the best sailboat racing broadcasting ever and I am completely riveted!!

#436 Martin X Moleski SJ

Martin X Moleski SJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Systematic theology (Roman Catholic), RC airplanes, poker, NASCAR, America's Cup, TIGHAR (search for Amelia Earhart), website development.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I thought the racing footage from Naples was pretty darn good. Especially given all the rain.

+1

I watched live yesterday morning, then watched the replay last night up to the end of the fleet race.

I love the new gray shading that surrounds the "field of play" and the 100-meter lines. Very helpful.

The compass rose with the wind direction and force was lovely, but I only saw it once, just before
the start of the fleet race, if I remember correctly.

The colored breadcrumbs are lovely and help to show how decisions differ about where to tack or gybe.

I haven't got a dog in that fight.

I much prefer fleet racing to match racing, so MR taking second fiddle to the FR is fine by me.

The fleet racing is better television. There is always some contest worth watching somewhere on the course. Lots of eye candy.

All together, this remains by far and away the best sailboat racing broadcasting ever and I am completely riveted!!

Hear, hear! I used to pay for the computer animation of the races (some earlier incarnation of Visual Eye, I believe). This is vastly superior. I'm a happy and satisfied customer. It's already insanely great, and can only get better by the time we reach the LV finals and the Cup itself.

Marty

#437 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

The real problem with Jobson is that he got at least 50% of the facts wrong, which confuses those who actually listen to him.
I admire the self control of Mitch Booth. He must have been ready to strangle Jobson.

Nevertheless: Really, really cool coverage (sans audio). LOVE IT!

What happened to the FULL replay? All the data and feeds must be there, so why not put it on YouTube?

#438 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

The real problem with Jobson is that he got at least 50% of the facts wrong, which confuses those who actually listen to him.
I admire the self control of Mitch Booth. He must have been ready to strangle Jobson.

Nevertheless: Really, really cool coverage (sans audio). LOVE IT!

What happened to the FULL replay? All the data and feeds must be there, so why not put it on YouTube?

Have you looked here for replays http://www.youtube.c...09&feature=plcp ?

Like this? http://www.youtube.c...ture=plpp_video or is that not what you mean by FULL?

#439 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Have you looked here for replays http://www.youtube.c...09&feature=plcp ?
Like this? http://www.youtube.c...ture=plpp_video or is that not what you mean by FULL?

Sorry, I meant the "On Board" Full replays, like this one: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z2G1l11TEvM

#440 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

Just a thought on the cost of putting the choppers up...If this cost is what is causing the limitations in coverage...

There are two choppers needed right, one for the liveline camera, and one for picking up the on-board video and boat telemetry ? So at least one chopper has to be airborne, and that is needed for the race management systems too. Is this correct ?

The basis for Liveline came from other prior projects to augment reality for sports with fixed camera positions. It there an "opportunity" to set up some fixed camera positions from on high vantage points at the events, and have separate augmented feeds that production can incorporate ? Do the stabilized cameras exist with big enough lenses to get the needed shots?

To do that they'd need to replicate Oysterhead of course...and the "limited" system to support those vantage point feds. Given the fixed positions, the technology is readily available to get the feed back to the production facility, especially if line of sight, that a high vantage point might offer.

The 1 Million $ question though: Is this less expensive than putting the second chopper in the air ? Perhaps not ?

Other options could be tethered balloons (to land) with remote cameras ? Just need to keep the telemetry chopper out the way...and hope the tether does not break... :ph34r:

I'm sure other options are being looked at but this might be the best they could do for Naples given the recent budget changes only happened a few weeks back, from what we all saw (who knows from the inside).

Just to clarify a few details so we're all on the same page.

We started with 3 helicopters: 1 for LL, 1 for the near side of the course and "leaders", 1 for the far side of the course "splitters/followers"
All three were equipped with Cineflex cameras and generate killer, stabilized HD video. We only have one copy of the extra electronics
required to measure the attitude and position of a helicopter well enough to use it for LL - We'd love to have another copy so two helis
could do this... not in the budget so far, Needs A Sponsor.

No heli is required for any of the telemetry links to/from the racecourse. However, the Heli with LL does have its own dedicated LL telemetry
link, including (so far) a person on the ground pointing a directional antenna at the heli. An automated tracker has been built but didn't
pass all the tests in Naples. Score Man:1 Machine:0 We will probably have it working for Venice... bummer for the volunteers that have
been helping - they'll get to watch the racing instead of the heli!

We cut back to two helis in Naples; one for LL (context shots) and one for beauties, saving a substantial sum and reducing the number of
loud things out there shredding up the sky.

We've talked at length about using some fixed mount cameras for additional LL views (simple addition of well proven football equipment)
but haven't found the time/money/fixed location that is high enough to work well. Top of the South Tower anyone?

Blimps, 8 rotor RC helicopters, kites, balloons.... maybe. For the near future we'll be sticking with our pretty well tested heli system
and spend our time on 3 things: getting someone to sponsor additional work, putting what we've got into production (moving on from
live research/development), adding better stabilization and keying to make the good look even better.

Thanks for your input and encouragement. It's still a long road to the LVC/Match.

#441 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

^ Thanks for checking in with the info.

There's a lot of grousing about having no match racing coverage streamed this time, and no replays of them either, and no on-board streams, unlike with all the massive amount of video we were spoiled by in, say, Plymouth. Were the MR's filmed in Naples? At least the on-board?

#442 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

just my 2 cents-

I watch the replay footage, so not having replays up in HD was quite a disappointment.

Only live coverage here in was TVNZ two hours in the wee small hours of Monday morning. I was able to record it, mercifully! It included various highlights of the week, snatches of the Match Race final, a few speed runs and go to whoa coverage of the Fleet Race final.

As you say, footage was pretty darn good. Liveline graphics first rate, including the superimposed windrose before the start - ver nice! HD cameras on top of the action, ditto.

Direction still left me dissatisfied. Watching a fast-developing tactical situation only to cut to something less critical. Too many choppy, hyperactive shots at the expense of good story development. And the "surprise" appearance of Oracle when she suddenly moved up in the standings close to the mark half way through the race was really no surprise. I haven't gone back to verify on VE but she'd been making up ground all the leg but didn't show in the chopper coverage which was in fairly tight on the leaders. Dishonest story-telling.

Can't disagree about Jobson. He's dated. That said, noticeable that the commentary was simplified, almost dumbed down with obvious avoidance of sailing terminology most of the time. I like the approach but I still want the commentators to tell me more than what I can see on the screen. They ain't doing it, or they're being prevented from doing it.

Clean had some pretty strong comments about the Naples coverage. In general he's on the right track but with one major proviso -- we have to give the TV product time to work out the kinks and mature. Pointless to compare Naples to NASCAR coverage where the same team works together week after week, setting up in known locations and constantly developing and refining technology, direction and commentary. This was the first time the ACTV road show team had worked together since San Diego and this time with director changes, team changes and budget restrictions. Wait to put the boot in if they don't get it right by Newport in June.

#443 Martin X Moleski SJ

Martin X Moleski SJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Systematic theology (Roman Catholic), RC airplanes, poker, NASCAR, America's Cup, TIGHAR (search for Amelia Earhart), website development.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

... And the "surprise" appearance of Oracle when she suddenly moved up in the standings close to the mark half way through the race was really no surprise. I haven't gone back to verify on VE but she'd been making up ground all the leg but didn't show in the chopper coverage which was in fairly tight on the leaders. Dishonest story-telling.

I think it's a little much to categorize it as "dishonest."

The cameraman in the copter probably sees the race course through the lens of the camera. I'll bet that he just didn't see how well Oracle was doing. They just weren't "in the picture" until they suddenly swooped past all but one of the boats ahead of them.

I haven't gone looking for a Virtual Eye replay, but that should tell "the rest of the story" (tm Paul Harvey).

#444 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Iirc there was some onboard OR footage of the JS/JK interaction after rounding the bottom mark, where JK suggested they stay left. Then the show moved on, understandably as there were 9 boats in the race..

That, or I read it and imagined it :) Was a game-changing move, regardless.

#445 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

... And the "surprise" appearance of Oracle when she suddenly moved up in the standings close to the mark half way through the race was really no surprise. I haven't gone back to verify on VE but she'd been making up ground all the leg but didn't show in the chopper coverage which was in fairly tight on the leaders. Dishonest story-telling.

I think it's a little much to categorize it as "dishonest."

The cameraman in the copter probably sees the race course through the lens of the camera. I'll bet that he just didn't see how well Oracle was doing. They just weren't "in the picture" until they suddenly swooped past all but one of the boats ahead of them.

I haven't gone looking for a Virtual Eye replay, but that should tell "the rest of the story" (tm Paul Harvey).

Would you prefer disingenuous perhaps!

Anyway, my beef is with the director, not the cameraman. Oracle didn't just come out of nowhere before the mark. They were gaining all the way up the leg. With multiple cameras plus VE at his command the director was asleep at the switch (hard to believe) or chose to play it for surprise value.

As Stinger notes, it was a game-changing move, and it was not well-reported. I kept looking at the aerial shot sans Oracle all the way up the leg and asking myself "but where's Jimmie?"

I chose to remark on this because it doesn't involve budget or personnel but simply the ability of the director to tell the story. I think he missed the boat.

#446 Martin X Moleski SJ

Martin X Moleski SJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Would you prefer disingenuous perhaps!

That still suggests too much "malice aforethought" for my taste.

I chose to remark on this because it doesn't involve budget or personnel but simply the ability of the director to tell the story. I think he missed the boat.

LOL! That says it all, much better than I did in my previous post.

Cf. Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." :)

Marty

#447 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

I kept looking at the aerial shot sans Oracle all the way up the leg and asking myself "but where's Jimmie?"

Yes, had the same thought, and the director would best have caught that developing story too.

But as it turned out, the 'surprise' was kinda fun even if we 'saw' it coming. (cue the SNL Superior dance)

#448 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for your input and encouragement. It's still a long road to the LVC/Match.

Oyseterhead...No Problem! Thanks for the explanation for what's involved and what's been looked at and assessed. As you say it boils down to $, lots of them. Either way, what the team has put together is truly amazing, and wish everyone a good break before you start gearing up for Venice !

As for SF fixed locations, Coit Tower springs to mind, as does to top of Angel Island, but perhaps too far away. The south tower idea is cool to...just might be logistically a tad difficult to get the gear up there, unless it has an elevator (Coit has a crazy spiral staircase) ?

One other thought is the blimp that flies around for football and baseball games, not sure of the local one is Metlife sponsored, and not sure how the deal works for these other events; but its an advertising platform, and perhaps a potential liveline platform too ?

#449 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Something on Lightstreamer
--

Weswit Named "Cool Vendor" by Leading Analyst Firm for its Lightstreamer Product

Lightstreamer has been used in many application domains. Besides powering many first-class financial dealing platforms, it has been utilized for some interesting Web telemetry applications. For example, NASA uses Lightstreamer to deliver the real-time data coming from the International Space Station to its HTML, iPad, and Android applications. And America's Cup uses Lightstreamer to publish the boat live data feeds over the Web.

#450 Alpina

Alpina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Oysterhead,whoever you are,my guess is someone close to Schackenberg Jr, thank you for everything.

#451 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

Oysterhead,whoever you are,my guess is someone close to Schackenberg Jr, thank you for everything.

+1

We may grouse and bitch, but you guys are doing a yeoman's service with the graphics that you provide. We're a spoiled lot around here....................................

#452 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

As you say, footage was pretty darn good. Liveline graphics first rate, including the superimposed windrose before the start - ver nice! HD cameras on top of the action, ditto.

Direction still left me dissatisfied. Watching a fast-developing tactical situation only to cut to something less critical. Too many choppy, hyperactive shots at the expense of good story development. And the "surprise" appearance of Oracle when she suddenly moved up in the standings close to the mark half way through the race was really no surprise. I haven't gone back to verify on VE but she'd been making up ground all the leg but didn't show in the chopper coverage which was in fairly tight on the leaders. Dishonest story-telling.

Not to make things harder for the LiveLine guys, but adding an interactive TV input would be very cool - and you might even get Microsoft's XBox to sponsor something like this. IOW for the "live streaming" - say exclusive to XBox, you get team buttons along the bottom. And if you click on one it simultaneously
  • sends a vote (that has say a 30 second expiration) for what boat[s] to follow. Most popular vote gets the zoom in coverage
  • lets you toggle between the "zoom-in" coverage and the "context" shots
There already are such "crowd sourced camera control" applications out there

Now the xBox $$ would let you get another camera platform in the air potentially letting you have a "zoom in" option for more than one set of boats.

And with xBox putting up the $$ - since the finals event is in the backyard of Apple you might get them to toss in some cash as well. I know that Oracle and MSFT aren't exactly friends. OTOH, xBox doesn't really play on Oracle's turf.

and if not xBox, you could approach Sony. with potentially the voting only available on Sony SPS

#453 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

Not to make things harder for the LiveLine guys, but adding an interactive TV input would be very cool - and you might even get Microsoft's XBox to sponsor something like this. IOW for the "live streaming" - say exclusive to XBox, you get team buttons along the bottom. And if you click on one it simultaneously

• sends a vote (that has say a 30 second expiration) for what boat[s] to follow. Most popular vote gets the zoom in coverage
There already are such "crowd sourced camera control" applications out there

Now the xBox $ would let you get another camera platform in the air potentially letting you have a "zoom in" option for more than one set of boats.

And with xBox putting up the $ - since the finals event is in the backyard of Apple you might get them to toss in some cash as well. I know that Oracle and MSFT aren't exactly friends. OTOH, xBox doesn't really play on Oracle's turf.

and if not xBox, you could approach Sony. with potentially the voting only available on Sony SPS

This is an interesting app and would be pretty easy to build. A rack of
"remotely operated" render engines could do all of the work for multiple"Virtual Eye" based views...

However, for LL things get more challenging as we only have one instrumented helicopter (so far, but
three Cineflex helicopter cameras) so we can only look at one thing at a time - and the heli
+ camera is verbally directed (by me) to try and fit the context of where the broadcast is or
is going... IF we had a sponsor that wanted to pay for the instrumentation of a second heli/bimp
and it's operation costs, then the operation of a shadow LL system would be trivially easy to add.

We have endured some major changes in ACTV personnel (producer, director and others) over the
last months and are responding to feedback from many fronts. The format and focus has shifted
significantly, partially in response to changes in the event format and partially in response to
new broadcasters joining up. Everything will continue to evolve...

Speaking only about LL, it is "frozen" for a while in the current 'beta' release we used in Naples.
The development budget is used up and we delivered on spec, on time and on budget. We feel
pretty good about where we've gotten so far and optimistic about the chances that outside
sponsorship/co-development will take things much further over the coming year.

Feedback, on this forum and from other sources has been very helpful. We appreciate it!
Onward to Venice and all the challenges and opportunities that venue brings...

#454 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Cheers to you. We're just lucky to be able to work on some pretty cool stuff.
People call me AT. I live in Nahcotta, Washington... find that on a map!
Please come visit our posh cargo container if you are ever near an event - we
are happy to show SA folks around.

#455 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

AT 'aint kidding either...

#456 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

???

34th America's Cup Regatta Notice 2012/108

To: Competitors for the 34th America's Cup
Date: April 27 2012

RE: Onboard Media Data Interface Trials

The Onboard Media Data Interface will be enabled for the practice sailing starting May 11th 2012, in Venice.
Cables to connect the media equipment onboard the boats are available from Mark Sheffield for €100 each. These can be purchased on site in Venice.

Documentation for technical details of the Onboard Media Data interface can be found here: http://www.americasc...Documentation/. Any further questions should be directed to Ken Milnes in the LiveLine container as ACWS venues.

Racing Bravo and B&G both offer systems compatible with the Onboard Media Data interface.

The Media Data interface will similarly be available during practice sailing in Newport and may be available during racing starting at ACWS San Francisco 2012, subject to the Regatta Directors approval.

Iain Murray
Regatta Director

http://noticeboard.a...face-Trials.pdf

#457 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

???

The Onboard Media Data Interface will be enabled for the practice sailing starting May 11th 2012, in Venice.
Cables to connect the media equipment onboard the boats are available from Mark Sheffield for €100 each. These can be purchased on site in Venice.

Documentation for technical details of the Onboard Media Data interface can be found here: http://www.americasc...Documentation/. Any further questions should be directed to Ken Milnes in the LiveLine container as ACWS venues.

Racing Bravo and B&G both offer systems compatible with the Onboard Media Data interface.

The Media Data interface will similarly be available during practice sailing in Newport and may be available during racing starting at ACWS San Francisco 2012, subject to the Regatta Directors approval.

Iain Murray
Regatta Director

The AC45's have not been allowed to access/use the data from the onboard positioning system we use for
tracking the boats (umpiring and LL+) while sailing. This very high res position and attitude data IS allowed
to be used during sailing on the 72's. This means the teams won't have to install and maintain a parallel set
of positioning electronics (but will add their own wind and other instrumentation...)
This notice lets the teams begin to integrate our stuff with theirs onboard the 45's. They've already been
using the data onshore.

#458 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks!!

#459 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

???

Iain Murray
Regatta Director

The AC45's have not been allowed to access/use the data from the onboard positioning system we use for
tracking the boats (umpiring and LL+) while sailing. This very high res position and attitude data IS allowed
to be used during sailing on the 72's. This means the teams won't have to install and maintain a parallel set
of positioning electronics (but will add their own wind and other instrumentation...)
This notice lets the teams begin to integrate our stuff with theirs onboard the 45's. They've already been
using the data onshore.

oysterhead

Is the implication that the teams "on board" will be able to access data from the other boats or just the data relevant to their own boat (before it's transmitted ashore) ?

#460 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

..... Onward to Venice and all the challenges and opportunities that venue brings...

Thanks for all the new info about the status of LL, great background.! All the best for Venice.

#461 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Is the implication that the teams "on board" will be able to access data from the other boats or just the data relevant to their own boat (before it's transmitted ashore) ?

The sailing crew will only have access to data generated on board their boat. No change from
other sailing events - no outside assistance during racing.

#462 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:16 AM

Congratulations to the Liveline team for winning the Emmy award!

America's Cup Wins Sports Emmy Award

San Francisco, 30/04/2012

Graphic LiveLine Technology Makes Competitive Sailing
Inviting to TV Audiences

America's Cup groundbreaking use of Liveline, the technology that makes competitive sailing accessible to home viewers worldwide, has been awarded an Emmy for extraordinary technical innovation. LiveLine technology, which is used for American football and NASCAR car racing broadcasts, is being recognized for making the sport welcoming to new fans and providing precise data for race management.

"We're honored by this award. At the core, this team's efforts are driven by a passion for sports and connecting people to sports they otherwise might not have the opportunity to view," said Stephen Barclay, interim CEO, America's Cup Event Authority. "Stan Honey (America's Cup Director of Technology) and the rest of the team are to be commended for their role in developing this technology that is assisting America's Cup to be broadcast internationally. This Emmy recognizes that this technology helps new fans and veteran racers to enjoy a spectacular visual experience in a way never before imagined."

The sport of sailing is growing internationally, and America's Cup organizers are invested in constantly improving the spectator experience. LiveLine superimposes graphics on the screen as a technical aid for viewers, like ahead-behind lines that enable audiences to clearly see who is leading the race and race-course boundaries. Spectators will recognize the technology from other Sportvision products, like the yellow first-down line use in the NFL and the Race/FX tracking and highlighting system used in NASCAR.

The technology was developed exclusively for America's Cup broadcasts by the America's Cup Event Authority, Sportvision and NBC Sports Network and does what was previously impossible: overlay geo-positioned lines and data streams at two centimeter accuracy on live race course video shot from rapidly moving helicopter and water-based platforms.

Driven by a GPS system that can track the America's Cup catamarans to within a two-centimeter accuracy on the race course, event organizers leverage the system for on-the-water management of the sport. Telemetering of the course allows for rapid movement of marks and controlling course limits, while use of real-time overlap and zone-entry determinations enable umpires to make the most accurate decisions ever possible.

The team that developed the technology is made up of Director of Technology Stan Honey, LiveLine Project Manager Ken Milnes, Onboard Media Manager Mark Sheffield, and key America's Cup management personnel including Denis Harvey, Richard Worth, Gary Lovejoy and Tim Heidmann; and Sportvision team members Jim McGuffin and Alan Trimble.

The George Wensel Technical Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences was presented on Monday, April 30, 2012 at the Frederick P. Rose Hall at the Lincoln Center in New York City. Others considered for the award included Hot Trax/Hot Spot, used by the Fox network for NASCAR and baseball telecasts, the Diamond Platform, used by baseball's MLB Network, and ESPN's 3-D coverage of the Masters golf tournament.

#463 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Excellent! :)

Congrats OH and SH!!!

#464 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

Bloody 'ell mate.

I am trying to get my chooks to lay eggs.

And figure out to keep birds off the garden.

You go and play with the Xbox.

#465 Sailer X

Sailer X

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Congratulations, very well deserved.

#466 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Bloody 'ell mate.

I am trying to get my chooks to lay eggs.

And figure out to keep birds off the garden.

What game is that? Do you have a link?

#467 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

+1, 150% deserved.

#468 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Great stuff guys - that's quite a feather for your caps and a reward for all your efforts so far. Congratulations - both to those who implemented the ideas and to those with the forethought and initiative to pay for them.

#469 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

^This +100

#470 RMK

RMK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Emmy is well deserved.

Congrats to the LL team and to LE for the vision and the funding to make this possible.

#471 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

+1, 150% deserved.

Hear.......hear.

#472 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks everyone. We're pretty stoked today.
Anybody got a sponsor in their pocket to push this award winning research project
further down the track? Come visit us in Venice!
We're not done yet - just at the end of the development, not operations, budget.

#473 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Next time I head down to hike Ledbetter Point, I'll wave as I go by.

Oh....You're not hiding behind that fancy gate just north of Oysterville are you? Had to ask. That thing is ugly (no offense!)

If you want to do some Puget Sound racing, we'd be glad to offer a ride.

#474 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

^ Bloody Awesome ! Nice jobs guys !

#475 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Real Time Race Tracker for iPhone & iPad - beta testers wanted now.
Live for Venice?

Posted Image

Beta test starts May 9.

If all goes well, the Venice races (including match races) will be live on your iPhone or iPad (Android planned but not done yet.)

Thanks to Oysterhead and all the rest of the LiveLine team, we've received data, help and encouragement to build this app.

Will it work?? Help us find out by being a beta tester. Sign up here.

#476 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

^ V.Cool !

#477 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

Just noticed on the FP:

mark of success

As the America’s Cup gears up for what should be an exciting and well-attended event in Newport at the end of the month, ACEA is about to find itself, once again, on the legal rocks.  Not from Charles Kithcart’s Africa Diaspora Maritime suit that’s scheduled for arguments on the 27th of June – this one is much bigger, and potentially far more damaging to the goals of the AC.

Advanced Video Communications Inc. (“AVC”) vs. America’s Cup Event Authority (C.D.Cal Case 2:12-cv-04961-JEM) argues that the America’s Cup has, and continues to, infringe AVC’s valid trademark “Liveline” filed in 2009, and their papers show a convincing argument that the AC’s extensive promotion of the term “Liveline” to promote Stan Honey’s TV/Video graphics package has damaged AVC’s interest in the mark.  They show that searches for the term result in links to almost exclusively AC content, and that essentially AVC’s trademark interest has been wrecked by the AC’s extensive use of the term in videos, press releases, news stories, and advertising.

While a quiet settlement is often the result of cases like this, AVC is asking for a hell of a lot from the Court:  $500,000 is just the starting point, since this kind of infringement carries with it a triple damages penalty and attorney’s fees.  AVC is also asking the court to order ACEA to remove every video and news story on the web that refers to Liveline in any way, and if the judge agrees that AC’s “Liveline” infringes AVC’s “Liveline”, this is quite a likely outcome.  Considering the effort and expense that AC has gone to to build all those Youtube hits, this could be a massive blow indeed.

Whether Honey’s technology is similar enough to AVC’s Liveline!, (which seems to be a webcam monitoring service) is going to be a big question, but given the fact that it was unquestionably registered with the USPTO long before Honey’s product and widely advertised on the web, it might not be that much of one, and the AC has some serious ‘splainin’ to do in the filing of their own Liveline trademark.  With AVC asking for a quick preliminary injunction to enforce their interest, this one’s going to burn hotter and faster than you might think.

06/12/12

Did I miss this being commented elsewhere?

#478 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

^ it's in the SF thread too, got a bit of a yawn from PeterH and others.

Clean went a little 'ac dope' scoop overboard there.. bit of a 'so what' even if they do change the name.

#479 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

^ it's in the SF thread too

Thanks. Wonder how I missed it ;)

#480 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

One of the contentions is that "They show that searches for the term result in links to almost exclusively AC content."

On Google anyway, they are at the top of the results list, so..?
http://www.google.co...ine&oq=liveline

#481 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

One of the contentions is that "They show that searches for the term result in links to almost exclusively AC content."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=liveline&oq=liveline

Conspiracy theorist would say that given ACEA connection with Google and specifically YouTube's involvement in showing LiveLine as part of the AC34 footage...those search results could now be a fair representation of reality... :ph34r: But wait..same results for Bing and other search sites...that can't be a conspiracy...

Does anyone have a teacup into which the media hyperbole can brew a storm ?

#482 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Practice Racing is happening as I type this, and the data is being streamed live,
so folks using the viewer app from CupExperience.com (both iPhone and Android versions)
can be watching things from wherever they are.

#483 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Practice Racing is happening as I type this, and the data is being streamed live,
so folks using the viewer app from CupExperience.com (both iPhone and Android versions)

Confirmed, it's live on the Enthuse/iPhone

#484 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

http://www.google.co...ine&oq=liveline

Conspiracy theorist would say that given ACEA connection with Google and specifically YouTube's involvement in showing LiveLine as part of the AC34 footage...those search results could now be a fair representation of reality... :ph34r: But wait..same results for Bing and other search sites...that can't be a conspiracy...

Does anyone have a teacup into which the media hyperbole can brew a storm ?

Attached File  Tempest in a Teacup.JPG   30.06K   2 downloads

#485 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Sure would be nice if VirtualEye could get turned on even during practices.

Oh.. And where's our base cams?? :)

#486 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

An article in the NYT, mentions a possible 'augmented reality smartphone app' in the works

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

#487 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

At the recent Seattle appearance of Oysterhead he said that there were several cool viewers being developed for the AC. Hopefully we'll be seeing some betas hit the streets soon.

#488 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

My app now available for Android too.

Both Android version and iPhone version showing live data from Newport now (June 27, 13:00 EDT).
Mark boats out on the course. Race boats on moorings or being prepped ashore (LRS).

Live data view also on my website.
Instructions on how to get the apps + live viewer.

Watch today's practice racing. And all the match racing tomorrow through Sunday. And the fleet races. And the Speed Trials.

Here: CupExperience real time AC Race Tracker

#489 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

My app now available for Android too.

Both Android version and iPhone version showing live data from Newport now (June 27, 13:00 EDT).
Mark boats out on the course. Race boats on moorings or being prepped ashore (LRS).

Live data view also on my website.
Instructions on how to get the apps + live viewer.

Watch today's practice racing. And all the match racing tomorrow through Sunday. And the fleet races. And the Speed Trials.

Here: CupExperience real time AC Race Tracker

Jack,
Watching your app now... thanks for making the Android version available.

#490 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

^

My pleasure, Hank.

Don't tell the iPhone folks, but the Android version has more features - boatspeed, heading, heel, angle off the wind, ladder lines, 3BL circles...

Hoping to catch up on the iPhone in a future release.

#491 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Complete instructions...

This is the info on how to get and use the apps, on iPhone and on Android:
(sorry to write such a long message, I didn't have time to write a short one)

Thanks for signing up to be a beta tester. I hope you are a little patient! This is still pretty new.

Any time LiveLine data are flowing, you will see the map and boats, which means even if the boats are on land or at their moorings. That also means you will see practice races, match races, everything. Cool, don't you think?

FEEDBACK PLEASE!
You get these cool apps for free, right? So how about giving us a little feedback once you try them out? Please visit the feedback forums here:
http://tinyurl.com/8a54l95
Or email me directly: jack@cupexperience.com
(Yes, that is my personal email address - don't hesitate to contact me.)

ANDROID VERSION
Available from Google Play:
http://tinyurl.com/89btccd
Or, in Google Play, search for "AC Race Tracker."
It installs like all other Android Apps.
The Android version shows simple outlines of the land in green. The race course is dark blue. You will see a countdown timer and the start line from the three minute "Warning" signal. During the race you will see "chatter" messages from the Race Committee. The same messages the skippers see on their onboard displays. There are 100 m "ladder lines" drawn perpendicular to the wind, so you can judge who is ahead/behind. The 3 boat length circles around marks switch on and off according to which gate or mark is the next one to round. Tap the Android menu button to choose to show "Wind from Top" or "North at Top" of your screen. Tap any boat "to focus" on that boat. You'll see the boat's speed (over ground), heading, angle off the wind and heel. NOTE: this puts the display into a funny zoom mode: as if you always had one finger on the boat, so dragging a finger across the screen will spin the display around the locked-on boat and zoom. Tap anywhere else to get out of this mode
. We're working on changing this. One more thing: as I write this on June 27, we have not been able to test with complete race data, so we don't know if the finish line draws properly! Let's find out together this afternoon!

iPHONE VERSION
The CupExperience real time AC Race Tracker is a in a general sports fan app called "Enthuse." There will be a new version of the Enthuse app this week, so these instructions may change. If you have trouble figuring it out, send me an email: jack.griffin@cupexperience.com

The iPhone version uses Google Maps. It does not have all of the features in the Android version. But it will, in a future release.

Here's what to do:
1. Go to this address, get the free Enthuse app and install on your iPhone, iPod or iPad.
http://itunes.apple....d473550937?mt=8

2. Now, find the Newport Regatta (ACWS)... Use the icon in the upper left, to find your way to "Events," then "Find Events by Sport." Scroll to "Sailing" and select "Newport Regatta (ACWS)." "America's Cup" is where you will find data streams.

3. You can also add "America's Cup" to your list of events and see the replay of a fleet race from San Diego. It is test data running in a continuous loop.

You may have to do a little poking around - remember these are beta test versions. If you need some help, just email your questions to me: jack@cupexperience.com

Feel free to send this on to your friends - the more feedback we get, the better.

Thanks for participating. Welcome aboard!

#492 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Practice start from a few minutes ago, heading to the reach mark

Posted Image

#493 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Jack: Do you think you could add an option to the google map to watch it in Satellite view?
It might make things a bit more realistic when watching from a PC.

#494 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Have it running on an Android tablet now. Looks good!

#495 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

KOR looks real good again today, won this last race after being real tight with TNZ at the top mark.

They looked great yesterday too, in the little that I caught of it.

#496 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

LRS, KOR, TNZ in the one just finished

#497 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

There are 100 m "ladder lines" drawn perpendicular to the wind, so you can judge who is ahead/behind.

Jack,
The ladder lines are very hard to see... any chance of getting more contrast between the background and the lines?

#498 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

There are 100 m "ladder lines" drawn perpendicular to the wind, so you can judge who is ahead/behind.

Jack,
The ladder lines are very hard to see... any chance of getting more contrast between the background and the lines?

I agree. I've already given that change to the developer. We hope to get it into the next release.

#499 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,112 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

This could be cool for iPads

http://www.topapprev...-app-26426.html

#500 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Has everyone figured out there are two phone apps and one iPad app for following the
live racing - all free?

phone apps: cupexperience.com (iPhone and Android)

iPad app: look for AmericasCupHD - in the iTunes store

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users