537 replies to this topic

#501 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Has everyone figured out there are two phone apps and one iPad app for following the
live racing - all free?

phone apps: cupexperience.com (iPhone and Android)

iPad app: look for AmericasCupHD - in the iTunes store

iPad link:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/americas-cup-hd/id536459168?mt=8

#502 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

A few screen grabs from the Android version of AC Race Tracker (available here):

Match race semi-final, Coutts vs Draper, pre-start:
Posted Image

Coutts vs Draper, first leg. Notice the reaching start line and the downwind entry line. Also the 3 boat length zone at the first mark.
Posted Image

Tap any boat and see their data.
RC "chatter" messages at the bottom of the screen.
Posted Image

#503 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

Screen grabs from the fleet race, Friday 29 June 2012 in Newport:
Fleet race start with countdown. Race committee "chatter" at the bottom of screen.
Luna Rossa Swordfish requesting a penalty.
Notice that speed (SOG) is shown for each boat.
Posted Image

Luna Rossa Piranha (Draper) over early!
Posted Image

First leg. Note that 3 boat length zone is not a circle - it is really 3 boat lengths around the rectangular mark boat.
Posted Image

Zoomed in close to see the rounding.
The chatter message for LRP clearing their penalty came a little late...
Posted Image

#504 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

Impressed, that's a great effort already.

Am so glad all this free, rich, streaming data is being put to good use, hope it sets a future precedent.

How do you plan to pay for the development effort?

#505 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

Impressed, that's a great effort already.

Am so glad all this free, rich, streaming data is being put to good use, hope it sets a future precedent.

How do you plan to pay for the development effort?

I'll make it up on volume. :P

Seriously, I do have some things in the works. More news on that before the SF ACWS.

#506 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

New article on CupExperience explains the lights on the AC45's,

Posted Image

plus a little about the helmsman's Stowe display and signaling a protest.

Posted Image

All this stuff is enabled by the LiveLine system.

While doing commentary for the crowds in Newport, Andy Green referred to me as an AC "techno-geek." Very flattering, but it's the LiveLine team that deserve that kind of praise!

#507 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

New article on CupExperience explains the lights on the AC45's,

re: The “aft media post” on the back of the AC45 carries the GPS antennas that allow tracking the boat’s position to within 2 cm!

Fwiw - Something on that antenna, from http://www.kvhmobile...e-americas-cup/
--
“100% of the America’s Cup racing boats have a KVH CNS-5000 fiber optic gyro-based navigation system on board,” says Kits van Heyningen. For the Newport event, a World Series regatta leading up to the America’s Cup Final in San Francisco in September 2013, the teams raced in AC45s—wing-sailed catamarans that cut through the water at speeds exceeding 20 knots. A black tube at the back of the catamaran supports the GPS antenna from the KVH CNS-5000.

--

#508 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

34th America's Cup Regatta Notice 2012/146 http://noticeboard.a...face-Trials.pdf

To:Competitors for the 34th America's Cup
Date:August 15 2012

Re: Onboard Media Data Interface Trials and Intercom use.

The Onboard Media Data Interface will be enabled for the practice sailing only
in August, and for practice sailing as well as racing in October in San Francisco
and future events.
..............>

From... http://noticeboard.a...ecification.pdf

1 Introduction

This document describes the proposed data interface to be used onboard the AC45's and AC72's,
potentially starting as soon as the April 2012 event in Naples Italy, subject to approval of rules changes
permitting onboard instruments.
There are two objectives for the onboard data interface:
1. To allow the teams to build their own displays for the sailors to use onboard the race yacht to
show race limits, penalty status, RC-Comms, and to enter protests.
2. To receive from the teams available instrument data to improve the media presentation of the
race and to assist the umpires to make accurate and fair decisions. Each race yacht must send
wind, boat speed, and limited rudder angle information if they are available from the boat's
instrument system.
...............>

#509 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

Wishing Oysterhead, Stan and all the Liveline crew all the best for the rest of the week...

I spent the evening doing a you-tube tour of past events with my Mother-in-Law who was in town and we brought along, and is now adicted, and it's really noticable how Liveline has evolved over each event.

From Cascais with compass roses on the start, and big yellow lines for the course boundary, to Newport, where it was getting real crisp, and in between with logos being painted on the water in San Diego. I wonder what new tricks they have in store for us in SF?

Lastly, beyond Jack, who has an app in development or available for use or testing that leverages the data feed ?

#510 Simon T

Simon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

With a few exceptions I really like what I see so far. And I'm looking forward to the roll-out and the refinement of more graphic tools for better viewer understanding. For example, I still prefer the old VE mark time graphic that includes delta plus mark number, and lead boat name. The LL version is a bit cryptic.

Interesting take on the ladder lines. That is one experiment that could improve the viewer experience.

Keep up the pressure on upper management re knots for wind and boat speed. There are some standards that are hallowed.

Gotta say I detest the nationality flags on long posts, anchored to the tops of wings. Clumsy and over the top. Graphics too big, relative to boat size, but maybe this is all about generating graphics that will show up on phones or iPads. Hope you can find a solution.

I'm intrigued by the way that the graphics carry over, apparently seamlessly, from LL to VE. A bit disconcerting and disorienting when one is viewing the live TV and the view suddenly switches to a VE segment. My preference would be a sufficient distinction between the two products for viewers to know intuitively which they're looking at.

Coordinating the overall graphics for the show (all the 2D overlays), LL and VE, didn't start until we got to Cascais. It isn't sorted yet
and will require lots of refinement as we go along. Now that we've got LL running we can move forward from pure R&D to production
use with refinement. As you can imagine, external support is shifting from "it will never work" to "that's pretty interesting, can you do xxx?"
The same thing happened with 1st & 10 in football, but the R&D phase and rollout to air was much longer. (all for drawing one static
line from 3 static cameras - and that was really difficult) This system is much more complex but based on the same fundamental work.

We've tried several approaches (offline) to ID'ing boats that don't involve the flags on posts. I will say that I don't like them either. We'll
keep trying to find a better alternative (burgees are interesting, how about drawn on the water next to the boat...) that incorporates
the fundamental concept of drawing seamlessly into the image/world instead of stuff splatted on top. The graphical elements (32 bit
images) we are currenly using come from a vendor that designed the overall look for the broadcast... and they certainly have less
experience than we do in creating 3D effects for live TV. Compromises and tests will continue...

The ladder line/grid test didn't make air yesterday, mainly due to inconsistency between calcs in LL and VE. You might have noticed that
the numbers presented in ahead/behind didn't match up - the "wind direction" in each system comes from different places and is
interpreted differently.

Knots. Keep chanting everyone... But remember, if we are successful in bringing another 1,000,000 people worldwide into accepting
sailing as something worth following then we may end up making concessions so that everyone can enjoy this together - and we'll
be outnumbered 100:1.

It would be helpful to have a bug (ID) for LL and VE, but all the sponsorship and naming rights for the events and airtime also need that
screenspace....

Last day in Cascais for 2011. Hope we have an exciting fleet race, maybe with more sailing through the spectators? Certainly it will be
more fun than packing up the 13 shipping containers we work in for the ride to Plymouth. Lots to get done in the break.

Congratulations on the Emmy for the system. Are there any white papers anywhere looking into what you designed, what works, what doesn't?

#511 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Wishing Oysterhead, Stan and all the Liveline crew all the best for the rest of the week...

I spent the evening doing a you-tube tour of past events with my Mother-in-Law who was in town and we brought along, and is now adicted, and it's really noticable how Liveline has evolved over each event.

From Cascais with compass roses on the start, and big yellow lines for the course boundary, to Newport, where it was getting real crisp, and in between with logos being painted on the water in San Diego. I wonder what new tricks they have in store for us in SF?

Lastly, beyond Jack, who has an app in development or available for use or testing that leverages the data feed ?

While it doesn't leverage much of the data feed the new ACalphabet app works provides some good info.

#512 Blackman

Blackman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

I missing now the boat speed in SF.... would be interesting to see sometime what the real speed is, like today (friday) on downwind legs....

#513 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

I missing now the boat speed in SF.... would be interesting to see sometime what the real speed is, like today (friday) on downwind legs....

Was watching the LL feed at the time and YannG on ENRGY hit something like 27 knots upwind of RC approaching the bottom mark. He may even have overtaken RC for a moment during the following upwind after they split, it was damn close.

#514 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

The speeds were shown on the feed - but sparingly. The flags etc also. It seemed they wanted a less cluttered look, but still used most of the features during the broadcast.

I had a bit of trouble distinguishing laylines from boundaries though, when only the layline was visible in shot. I think they have different colours.

#515 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

Nice job to oysterhead, Stan, Ken and the Liveline team...

The graphics are crisper and look really impressive...compared to Plymouth, they have come a very long way !

On site at the waterfront, my only gripe and something completely out of their control, is that with so many people, there is not enough cell phone signal, to be able to watch the You-Tube feed, let alone get a data connection to run the AC34 or other App using the data feed.

Is funny that Andy Green & Tucker Thompson kept talking about using the AC34 "HD" App to hear the on boat audio for each team; shame no one could actually use it.

There is I guess no value proposition to AT&T or the other cell providers to add too much additional capacity for the event given the thousands of smartphones packed into such a small area...Perhaps AC34 needs in-kind sponsorship from a data provider that can light up some of that city front fiber and give us all a decent Wi-Fi coverage for free for AC34 related data (YouTube/Data Feed etc.) and perhaps a small fee for other connectivity ?

A curious thing though, where were you all hanging out; there was not trace of the TV compound ?

#516 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

^ Yes, the LL graphics this week are very good.

I think the broadcast center is now at P23, bottom of Lombard St. edit, Yes according to this
https://foursquare.c...4b0513ffd15cbd5

http://instagram.com/p/QdhG1yyxqZ/

#517 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

All very technical....

34th America’s Cup Regatta Notice 2012/167
To: Competitors for the 34th America's Cup
Date: January 25, 2013

Re: Onboard Media Data Interface Revision
The Onboard Media Data Interface specification has been modified from Version
1.2 to Version 1.3. The data sent from the onboard media system has been
modified such that the mark boat locations are sent with full accuracy, where
previously the accuracy was reduced to two boat lengths. The XML data that
describes the race course has been modified to include the intended latitude and
longitude of the mark boats locations.
These changes will be activated at the ACWS Naples in April 2013.

Documentation for technical details of the Onboard Media Data interface can be
found here:
http://noticeboard.a...s/2012/09/AC34-
Streaming-Onboard-Data-Interface-Specification.pdf
Any technical questions regarding the interface specification should be directed
to Ken Milnes (ken.milnes@americascup.com).

Iain Murray
Regatta Director

#518 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

A little homage is due... also to those not shown, camera boat, helicopter crews (and all of ACRM of course!)

NPL13D6_2941_zpsc2c20583.jpg

NPL13D6_2938_zps808e06ab.jpg

NPL13D6_2913_zps2a983459.jpg

NPL13D6_2937_zpsfd13d430.jpg

NPL13D6_2905_zps7c87ea1b.jpg

#519 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

NPL13D3_1009_zps475b282f.jpg

NPL13D3_1016_zps8bb96ea6.jpg

NPL13D3_1010_zpsfdf9b5c3.jpg

NPL13D3_1006_zps78a38a48.jpg

NPL13D3_0997_zps30e1c809.jpg

#520 ATrimble

ATrimble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Nav.

#521 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

My pleasure.  Thanks for the coverage @ Naples.

Anything new coming up? Happy with the set-up for San Francisco?

And one more for the homage file..

NPL13D6_3336_zpsac622840.jpg

#522 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

The next?

America’s Cup honored with Emmy nomination

#523 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,943 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Watching Fox's coverage of Daytona 500 qualifying and when they discussed the wind coming down the track they used SH's AC wind graphics. Not only the speed but how it moved around the track, wall, and grandstands. Pretty cool.

#524 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

This video lecture goes for 1hr 18mins. All good, includes NHL, NFL, NASCAR, Olympics Skating, etc. AC starts at about 25:00 minutes in.

Stanford Seminar - Stan Honey of America's Cup Event Authority

Published on Apr 10, 2014

"Augmented Reality at the America's Cup. The technology behind AC LiveLine" -Stan Honey, America's Cup Event Authority

#525 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Quite funny screen-shot from there..

Attached File  Hooters.JPG   53.03K   25 downloads

#526 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

That presentation by Honey is really good, I recommend the whole thing.

Yes it's long but for something especially spicy listen to what he says while answering a question at right about 1:14:00. SH: "I don't know how widely known it is.."

#527 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

^ Do you mean the part where he says how important it was to remain neutral and that he had to drop his role with OTUSA?

Funny how those ethics were not universally adopted - despite being reinforced in the wording in the ruling documents.

#528 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

No, it's nothing about his neutrality comments, or with the witch hunt you're on.

It's far more interesting and I wonder if it's true? Quite a zinger if so! Listen again, the segment is where he starts with those exact words.

#529 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Why witch hunt? Do you think there should be different sets of ethics for those in control?

Weren't you the big proponent of 'doing the right thing' after the last debacle?

But yeah, I got the little tid-bit you are on about - what does that do to all the pet theories, 001 - 399, about the brilliant strategy employed to achieve the comeback?

#530 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yes I greatly value independence by those charged with it and think IM exhibited strong-willed independence. But that's another subject.

Yes, a lot of pet theories might get a re-think if what he said is true. He couches it with "I think.." but wow, if so. Could even help to explain TNZ's willingness to agree that lay day, if they had work to do as a result.

Somewhere in there, sounds like you heard that part too, he comments on knowing from the data that ETNZ was the faster boat going into R1, commented how OR was almost 'arrogant' in not realizing it, talked about being very, very careful to bite his lip about it. Since he understood that from the data then he likely also understands if later OR was going faster than before ~and~ that ETNZ took a step back.

#531 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

In case anyone is wondering about the comment by SH in the above, he said he thinks that in the race where ETNZ almost capsized (R8, was it?) that when the boat slammed back down to the water they cracked the horizontal part of their starboard foil. And that ETNZ had to then revert to their (presumably not-best) second-string set of main foils from that race forward.

Am surprised none of us noticed differently-shaped foils if that change did happen, perhaps we could either prove or disprove it by photos?

#532 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Unbelievable how much AC34 gave the world in technological advancements.  Obviously, the advances in wing and foil technology, but also all of Honey's work (interesting how the Coast Guard also grabbed onto the concept of mock AIS markers), sailing safety (helmets, emergency breathing systems), etc.

#533 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

I pray that LiveLine gets used, even improved, for AC35. It is dynamite technology.

#534 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I pray that LiveLine gets used, even improved, for AC35. It is dynamite technology.

I wonder what the potential is for the system to be converted to utilization of drones, or even kites or tethered balloons, in order to reduce the cost of the aerial perspective provided by helicopters?

#535 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Yes, I wonder too - especially about using drones, also an emergent technology.

But the heli costs in the overall production costs must relatively small. Hopefully an ESPN or NBC contract will cover much of it next time, or at least offset LE enough that he'll go for it again.

#536 sam75

sam75

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

In case anyone is wondering about the comment by SH in the above, he said he thinks that in the race where ETNZ almost capsized (R8, was it?) that when the boat slammed back down to the water they cracked the horizontal part of their starboard foil. And that ETNZ had to then revert to their (presumably not-best) second-string set of main foils from that race forward.

Am surprised none of us noticed differently-shaped foils if that change did happen, perhaps we could either prove or disprove it by photos?

Thanks for posting Stingray. That would be quite a revelation. If true, I wonder why ETNZ never mentioned it?

#537 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

^ Yes, that's a great question. I can't actually think of a reason, it has me wondering if it may not be the case.

#538 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

Geez, no other comments? ETNZ may have gotten really facked in that incident, it could even have been what wrote their ticket home. And we all missed it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users