272 replies to this topic

#1 cajunkiwi

cajunkiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing,Beer,boobs,flying helos,oh yah beer

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

Looking for advise on buying a Henderson 30 or other possible contender.
Cheers

#2 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:58 AM

Contenders and Henderson 30s are both nice but pretty different. Do you want to sail solo or with friends?

#3 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

Cheers

I still like my Hendo a lot. Had it for eleven seasons and still having fun. You can PM me if you have any questions.
Attached File  hen3morc.jpg   531.18K   442 downloads

#4 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:12 AM

Contenders and Henderson 30s are both nice but pretty different. Do you want to sail solo or with friends?

It looks like the contenders just had their worlds. 144 boats.

#5 cajunkiwi

cajunkiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

Sorry for the confusion , "contender" meaning better boat for the dollar , Cheers

#6 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

It is a better boat for the Dollar.

Attached File  DSC_0095.jpg   132.08K   80 downloads

#7 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

I don't know if it's still available, but there was one for sail called Bad Kitty in Ottawa. There is two in Sarnia as well, you should reach out to the Doyle Boston loft there and ask some questions.

#8 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hey KIWI,
Got your PM and PM from a few others, so I figured I'd post here. The answer to your question on how the boats are holding up follows. These boats are holding up amazingly well. I have put over 15000 NM on the boat in the last 10 years with no major problems to report. The only ongoing issue I have had is with the rudder bearings. It appears to me that the rudder bearings were not quite up to the job initially. The problem is that the races are made of gelcoated fiberglass. Over time you wear through the gelcoat and into the fiberglass wth the balls in the race and eventually get mechanical binding. About every three years I have had to do some work on the races. I have used West System epoxy with graphite additive to do the repairs. I recently have switched from the graphite filler to 404, High density adhesive for a filler. This is working great and I think with the hardness of this product I might have come up with a much longer term fix. Other than the bearing issue there is no major issues. We don't even have much spider web cracking of gelcoat. It is pretty amazing.

You also wanted to know about the ability to pick up the keel coming in and out of the marina. WE do this every time we sail. We pick up the keel 4' and secure it with the clam shells that come with the boat every time we return to the marina. The boat CANNOT be sailed with the keel up and should only be lifted in fairly calm (less than 1') waves. Until the clam shell clamps are in place the keel will dance around in waves. Most of the boats came with an electric hoist. It must be rigged every time you lift the keel. It takes about 5 minutes for us to rig the keel lifting gear. CAUTION!! We replace our keel lifting cable annually.

If you plan to do road trips with the boat it trailers great. Again there is two versions out there. Some of the boats have an extra set of clam shells and can pull the keel up 6' and this makes the boat ramp launchable. This is what we have. The mast can be raised and lowered without assistance if desired. It isn;t bad lowering the mast with four people, but it is tough raising it. We have added a portable gin pole that we carry with us and we can move around to various places and be self sufficent. The boat single point lifts well. It does come up nose heavy so you will need a strap from the lifting straps to the bow.

#9 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

The Hendo does like rail meat but can be sailed well with normal crew sizes. I have sailed and done well against fully crewed boats in less than 10 Kts with three people. I have sailed in around the buoy races with winds in the high teens with 5 and done well but it is a challenge. We did a CHI/MAC last year with a crew of five. We went upwind for twenty hours with winds around twenty kts. We hung with the competition during this time though we were pretty happy when the wind eased. But in general we sail with seven or eight people. None of our crew are 200 #ers. With a seven person crew, upwind we carry a #1 till about 13 KTS. With a nine person crew we carry it to abot 15 kts. We carry a #3 with a seven person crew till about 20 kts, and a #4 till about 25. Over 25 kts of air upwind and the main is reefed. The boat doesn't sail that well with a reefed main. Above 30 kts at times we have sailed without a main. We just haven't figured out a good setup yet for these windspeeds.

Runners: PITA, but they are a gas pedal for the boat

Downwind..........:) :D :lol:

I don't have a lot of experience with the Hendos but based on my limited number of sails, they are fun and fast and can be really competitive with like-rated boats. They also need like 11 people to keep them flat, they need a main trimmer who knows what they're doing - no, I know all boats need that but no boat I've been on has been so completely steered by the main as the H30, probably because of the size and shape of the rudder it doesn't give you much forgiveness, and runners are a PITA in my opinion. However, they are definitely fast. I like their responsiveness, and when they're planing they are insanely sweet. There are two in the Boston area and they *seem* to sail pretty well to their rating, most of the time.

My biggest concern would always be getting the 10+ people each week to keep it going. It's only 5' longer than my Elliott and needs twice the crew to be competitive.

#10 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Here's a couple of things you can look at.
Attached File  OWNERS MANUAL Henderson 30.pdf   174.19K   162 downloads

Polars from the designer. They are a bit different than US sailing polars. US sailing has you sailing a bit lower downwind.
Attached File  H30_20Polars.jpg   139.21K   317 downloads

#11 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

I regret selling mine. We use to race with 7 or 8 onboard and felt pretty competitive. Runners "a must" for upwind performance. Going downwind a fun, fast boat. As soon as I can sell my current boat I will looking forward to buy a Hendo again.

#12 cajunkiwi

cajunkiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Outstanding info , Cheers

#13 viperpuppy

viperpuppy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, fishing, hunting

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

I trim main on one. They are great. We do well with 7-8 crew. I dont know where you would put 11 bodies.

#14 Aperson

Aperson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

We race ours with 9 or 10 on SF Bay. We also have a main that is smaller than the standard main.

#15 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Kiwi man,
Here is a pic of the Henderson on the trailer. Pretty nice package to tow around.
Attached File  HPIM2081.jpg   803.43K   606 downloads

Here's a line drawing.
Attached File  henderson_30_drawing.jpg   39.68K   447 downloads

#16 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Kiwi man,
Here is a pic of the Henderson on the trailer. Pretty nice package to tow around.

Here's a line drawing.

#17 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Kiwi man,

Here's a line drawing.

#18 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

Here's a couple more pics taking the mast down. This is without the portable gin pole that we use if we are short manpower.
Attached File  hentrail2.jpg   160.01K   335 downloads

Attached File  hentrail3.jpg   192.83K   298 downloads

#19 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

I have been racing on them in Southern California for years.

Need a lot of crew.
Have Runners
Wet offshore
Sort of outdated design (crush them with the Tiger)

Buddy of mine is selling his right now. They took it in the Cabo race and have done really well around Southern California. Super fun boats with the right crew but it takes people knowing what they are doing, plus a bunch of people to hold the boats down.

#20 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

compare it with the FT10.... Eerie crews on one when he isn't using his Hendo or they are going head to head

FT 10 is still in production, current design, no runners, get by with less crew,

#21 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

I' have lost a few races to the Tigers..........yet to be crushed:D . About the best thrashing I've had by a Tiger was a few years ago in a 140 NM race . The Tiger with the big bulb compared to the Hendo, and the extra waterline and a big determined crew out jib reached us for 120 of those miles. They went about .i kts faster to finish about 2.5 NM ahead. I have sailed both Tigers and Hendo's in Mac races and Lauderdale to KW. Neither is compared with sailing in a motorhome. It would best be compared with backpacking along a rough trail.

I have been racing on them in Southern California for years.

Need a lot of crew.
Have Runners
Wet offshore
Sort of outdated design (crush them with the Tiger)

Buddy of mine is selling his right now. They took it in the Cabo race and have done really well around Southern California. Super fun boats with the right crew but it takes people knowing what they are doing, plus a bunch of people to hold the boats down.

#22 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yep, I do sail on and against FT 10s a lot. I like them too. I also like Ultimate 20s, Wavelength 24s and S2 7.9s a bunch. Regarding crew size..................FTs and Hendersons generally sail with a crew of seven, plus or minus 1. I raced a full crewed FT last year with three on the hendo in a 3 race W/L race in about 7 kts of air. did pretty well. Did a Chi/Mac last year with a five person crew. Had to beat for about 20 hours in 18-22 kts. When the sun came up Sunday morning we were doing quite well against FT10, Cone of Silence, Melges 30 turbo, Synergy 1000 ect. Though the runners are a pain on the Hendo, they do help overcome rig tuning on the boats with the big swept back spreaders. The runners and backstay work well to control the power on/off of the boat.

compare it with the FT10.... Eerie crews on one when he isn't using his Hendo or they are going head to head

FT 10 is still in production, current design, no runners, get by with less crew,

Attached File  hendo30.jpg   29.1K   143 downloads
Attached File  hendo5.jpg   22.85K   218 downloads
Attached File  memday09nice.jpg   37.83K   215 downloads

#23 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

Here's one more pic.

Attached File  SUH.JPG   692.85K   223 downloads

#24 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

TVHSD - Tom Hirsch in SD runs FT now...contact him

#25 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:36 AM

Here's a few more henderson pics:

Windward heel
Attached File  windward heel.jpg   28.3K   174 downloads
Attached File  heeling to windward2.jpg   64.25K   237 downloads

Stern Shot
Attached File  Say Uncle stern.jpg   56.68K   247 downloads

Henderson sailor training on ducking runner blocks in choppy waves.
Attached File  hendo training.jpg   15.31K   202 downloads

#26 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Here is the other method of handling the rig. Portable gin pole.
Attached File  GINPOLE0.jpg   23.99K   115 downloads
Attached File  GINPOLE 1.jpg   26.2K   149 downloads
Attached File  GINPOLE 3.jpg   28.28K   112 downloads

Here's a couple more pics taking the mast down. This is without the portable gin pole that we use if we are short manpower.
Attached File  hentrail2.jpg   160.01K   335 downloads

Attached File  hentrail3.jpg   192.83K   298 downloads

#27 akaGP

akaGP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,102 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Cheers

I may have one for sale in your neighborhood; FT10 on a trailer in Pensacola.

#28 Drfeelgood

Drfeelgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

Ok so it's great in light air but how about the heavy air of SF Bay? How are they holding up in NorCal?

#29 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Ok so it's great in light air but how about the heavy air of SF Bay? How are they holding up in NorCal?

Not a problem... a few in the Bay Area... Ft 10 do well in the Whidby Island heavy air races...

I don't enjoy racing my lead mine in 35+, I don't enjoy racing the FT10 in 35+, we have done it and averaged 23.3 knots for about 40 miles... in more modest conditions speeds in mid to high teens, fully powered up in 12knots, travels well, great boat to take to marquis events for some handicap or OD racing, great versitile platform for anywhere on any coast in any conditions

#30 Peacefrog

Peacefrog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have a friend who has one of the nicest 30's around and he would sell it. It is the old Girlfriend that has been totally revamped, hull and deck repaint, hull flipped over and boarded. Lots of new sails. Let me know if you want more info.

#31 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Someone at our club is getting a Henderson 30. It looks like a fun boat to race! For PHRF class placement, would you folks put it with other lightweight planing boats like the Viper, and have a big numeric gap but similar performance curves, or with heavier, longer racer/cruisers that are much closer in rating but have way less planing potential?

Thanks,

jason

#32 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Put them in the racer /cruiser class. In light air they will do well, 8-12 kt w/l they will suffer, and over 14 offwind they will do well. How many days a year do you guys sail in planing conditions? Looking at your club PHRF boats J109s, Benny 47, J105.....................This seems like where the Henderson belongs. They will have to sail well to win.. Where do they want to sail?

Someone at our club is getting a Henderson 30. It looks like a fun boat to race! For PHRF class placement, would you folks put it with other lightweight planing boats like the Viper, and have a big numeric gap but similar performance curves, or with heavier, longer racer/cruisers that are much closer in rating but have way less planing potential?

Thanks,

jason

#33 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

If there is any interest, I'd like to get some Henderson's together again someday for some racing. I have August available this year if anybody has a cool regatta in their backyard. My long range plans include ST Pete NOOD next Feb.

#34 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much where I was going. Now we just have to think about the other end of the A fleet, but that's another topic.

I can give you contact info for the owners if you want to try to talk them into some travel racing.

Cheers,

jason

Put them in the racer /cruiser class. In light air they will do well, 8-12 kt w/l they will suffer, and over 14 offwind they will do well. How many days a year do you guys sail in planing conditions? Looking at your club PHRF boats J109s, Benny 47, J105.....................This seems like where the Henderson belongs. They will have to sail well to win.. Where do they want to sail?

Thanks,

jason

#35 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

If there is any interest, I'd like to get some Henderson's together again someday for some racing. I have August available this year if anybody has a cool regatta in their backyard. My long range plans include ST Pete NOOD next Feb.

How about a S/B regatta in Ft Pierce before or after the Noods. August would be okay too as I could store a couple of boats at my place until the Noods

#36 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

I like the idea of a regatta around the NOODS.

#37 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I sailed one for a while.. we have three customers we service in So Cal, 1 in Hawaii.

Fun boats but a little out-dated. Need 9 people to race W/L in anything over 8kts of breeze. My buddies took the Hedo 30 "Reach Around" in the Cabo Race a few years ago.... email me if want details on the boat

#38 Vince Valdes

Vince Valdes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Sailboats

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Attached File  Carbon 32 10.03.02.jpg   20.77K   252 downloads

#39 Callahan

Callahan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

Great boat

Attached Files

#40 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Buffalo Theory, Henderson 30 Hull #120 is now at our yacht club, and kicking ass right off the bat. The co-owners have a ton of talent, and now they have the hottest boat in the fleet. I mentioned the attempt to put together a championship regatta to them, so we'll see, but at least they know.

Jealous,

jason

Edit, I think the official spelling is BUFFALO TH30RY

#41 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

2 of them doing the Pac Cup this year.

http://www.pacificcup.org/

#42 oldweezer

oldweezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

Must be a pretty good boat, second in PHRF D in the Bayview Mac. Congrats!
linky thing

#43 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Attention ALL Henderson 30 Sailors..........................I've been exchanging E-mails with a few of you over the last few months. I've been encouraged to try and get a contact list together so that we can communicate about boat related topics and maybe some future racing. Please PM me your contact information.
Thanks,
Kevin L.
Henderson 30 "Say Uncle" 117

#44 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

There are two Henderson 30's in Dana Point contact me for info.

#45 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

If you need to get ahold of Buffalo Theory (#120), one of the co-owners Bill Fastiggi owns Vermont Sailing Partners:

http://www.vtsailing.com

Cheers,

jason

#46 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

If you need to get ahold of Buffalo Theory (#120), one of the co-owners Bill Fastiggi owns Vermont Sailing Partners:

http://www.vtsailing.com

Cheers,

jason

Kevin, Bill and I have been exchanging emails :)

#47 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Kevin,

Did anyone else reach out to you? How about "Purple Haze" out in Long Island ? I think two are out in the west coast...

#48 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Give me a couple days and I'll get the list organized. I still have to contact KMAG for the Southern Cal boats. I have heard from the San Francisco Bay boat.
Working on the Sarnia Ontario boats also.

#49 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with the Hendos but based on my limited number of sails, they are fun and fast and can be really competitive with like-rated boats. They also need like 11 people to keep them flat, they need a main trimmer who knows what they're doing - no, I know all boats need that but no boat I've been on has been so completely steered by the main as the H30, probably because of the size and shape of the rudder it doesn't give you much forgiveness, and runners are a PITA in my opinion. However, they are definitely fast. I like their responsiveness, and when they're planing they are insanely sweet. There are two in the Boston area and they *seem* to sail pretty well to their rating, most of the time.

My biggest concern would always be getting the 10+ people each week to keep it going. It's only 5' longer than my Elliott and needs twice the crew to be competitive.

10+ people? We sailed ours with 7 or 8. 10 is very slow. Too heavy and not enough room.

#50 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

If I was packing up the boat and heading off for a regatta, I would put together a crew of seven or eight.Back when the boats were raced OD it was nice having the crew weight limit of 1500. It kept the crew sizes reasonable. Weight on the rail does help upwind for sure. But like I've said in the past, I have raced the boat with three and have done well, have done well in a Mac with a crew of five, The Mac included a 20 hour beat in the 20 kt range.

#51 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

10+ people? We sailed ours with 7 or 8. 10 is very slow. Too heavy and not enough room.

maybe a little bit of hyperbole but I do know that the two in boston harbor sail with at least 8 whenever they can. I've been on one of them with 6 and we spent the whole day overpowered in 12 knots. I'm pretty sure HoG sails with 9, but they also sail with a lot of people a lot lighter than me.

With a six man crew in 12 kts it might be time to think about using the three ( I don't carry a two anymore). Unless you have tuned the rig for heavy air this might be the fastest way uphill. If you want to carry the 1 in these conditions, Jib leads aft, crank on the backstay and crank on the runners, and have a good maintrimmer to maintain the balance on the boat .If it is really puffy the helmsman usually plays his own traveler. Not so puffy helm plays his backstay and leaves the traveller to maintrimmer.

#52 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

Picture of the evening
Attached File  Spa.jpg   314.79K   133 downloads

#53 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

anyone considering Charleston race week April 18-21 ?
great fun !

#54 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

I won't be able to make it...

#55 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

I've done CRW twice. GOOD TIMES! Not in the cards for me either this year.

#56 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

How about Miami to Nassau and Ft Lauderdale to Key West or do I have to rent a life raft

#57 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

How about Miami to Nassau and Ft Lauderdale to Key West or do I have to rent a life raft

These races sound like fun!! And I have raft. :)

#58 ClimbnSail

ClimbnSail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

miami to nassau sounds fun, let me know if you need crew!

#59 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

miami to nassau sounds fun, let me know if you need crew!

Will do.

#60 ff3

ff3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:golf

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

I bought Girl Friend #107 out of Sarnia Ontario now in seattle

#61 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Wow. A thread that's more than a year and a half old about a 30 footer in SB Anarchy. Can anyone tell me what's missing in this thread? Winner gets an Annapolis Race Week decal and spider-line alligator clip hat-saver.

#62 Essex

Essex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

comparison with Annapolis 30 ?

#63 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

You doing WIRW?

#64 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Wow. A thread that's more than a year and a half old about a 30 footer in SB Anarchy. Can anyone tell me what's missing in this thread? Winner gets an Annapolis Race Week decal and spider-line alligator clip hat-saver.

Boobs?

#65 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Nope...no winners yet. Although, technically, both of you are correct.

#66 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Or did you mean in general that Gybeset hasn't rushed in to explain why it'd never be considered a sportboat downunda?

DING DING DING!! we have a winner, folks. Yes the famous GS has not chimed in, wondering WTF this thread is doing in SBA. IT'S A SPORTS YACHT!! ;)
PM me for the swag.

#67 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Congrats!! I wasn't aware that GF headed west.

#68 Blitz

Blitz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Gardyloo is in Tacoma WA.

#69 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

What hull number is Gardyloo?

#70 Blitz

Blitz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Not sure, the boat has a facebook page you could ask there.

#71 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Here is a guide I put together in the last 20 minutes for a couple of guys on how to dissassemble the Henderson rudder bearings.  I haven't really proof read it in detail.  Let me know if it doesn't make sense or if it needs more detail

Eerie.

Attached File  Guide to disassemble the Henderson 30 rudder assembly.pdf   315.12K   77 downloads

#72 Bad Drivin'

Bad Drivin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Gardyloo is Hull #16 if my paperwork is correct

#73 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the update!!

Gardyloo is Hull #16 if my paperwork is correct

#74 Aperson

Aperson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Here is a guide I put together in the last 20 minutes for a couple of guys on how to dissassemble the Henderson rudder bearings.  I haven't really proof read it in detail.  Let me know if it doesn't make sense or if it needs more detail

Eerie.

attachicon.gifGuide to disassemble the Henderson 30 rudder assembly.pdf

Please let me know how the new races work. We have to fix the bearings every few years.

#75 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

I'll let you know how it goes.  Boat gets wet Thursday.  Right now I have the fit slightly snug.  Might have to open the races up slightly.  But since there is no making them smaller, I will try snug first.

Eerie.

Please let me know how the new races work. We have to fix the bearings every few years.

#76 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Here is one of my favorite Henderson 30 documents ..  This is one of the first PHRF certificates issued.

:rolleyes:  Attached File  Hendo 30 original PHRF cert.pdf   394.11K   128 downloads :rolleyes:

#77 Blitz

Blitz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

72 rating. In the PNW Gardyloo rates a 56 or 59 I believe.

#78 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

I hope you won every single race with that rating.................Holy cow - one of the bigger gift ratings I have seen.  Did you give blowjobs to the entire PHRF committee?

Here is one of my favorite Henderson 30 documents ..  This is one of the first PHRF certificates issued.

:rolleyes:  attachicon.gifHendo 30 original PHRF cert.pdf :rolleyes:

#79 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

I wish I had that rating. That was the rating given out of the box to Hendersons.  My original rating for the boat was 39.  Two weeks later it was changed to 36. 

#80 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I wish I had that rating. That was the rating given out of the box to Hendersons.  My original rating for the boat was 39.  Two weeks later it was changed to 36. 

Ouch....

#81 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

That's a bit of tough love.  The boat probably belongs at 45

#82 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Rates 45 (base) in PHRF NE and that's still a tough number to sail to...

#83 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

I currently rate 42 on Lake Erie and 51 Detroit Regional Yacht racing Association (DRYA)

Rates 45 (base) in PHRF NE and that's still a tough number to sail to...

#84 Bad Drivin'

Bad Drivin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Gardyloo started out in 2007 at 48, then adjusted to 54. Bad Kitty in Victoria rates 57, Girlfriend in Des Moines rates 57.  Gardyloo is rated with a larger main.  Race with Mumm/Farr 30's at 54 and FT10s at 57 here in the northwest

#85 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

The base in my region for a 155% Genoa Hendo is 45 spin. I have Fat head main and got a -1 for that and a +6 for 135% Genoa which = 50 spin rating

#86 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Gardyloo started out in 2007 at 48, then adjusted to 54. Bad Kitty in Victoria rates 57, Girlfriend in Des Moines rates 57.  Gardyloo is rated with a larger main.  Race with Mumm/Farr 30's at 54 and FT10s at 57 here in the northwest

Partly because at the time a Synergy 1000 was being driven very hard by a very good crew.  And Rated at 54 it was logical to put the Hendo 30 level with the S1000 that was beating it.      Gardy is a good boat with a good crew, but in the races that we beat her, it was mostly starting line and course strategy that did it.  We were ALWAYS hearing the footsteps behind us...

#87 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

We race a well prepared, well sailed Synergy once or twice a year.  Upwind we seem to be tied together with a string.  Off the wind both boats have slightly different sweet spots.  As far as our handicap differences, I owe him time on Lake Erie, we are even on Lake St Clair and he owes me a bit of time under ORR.

#88 Paul at Masthead

Paul at Masthead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

I trimmed main on New Wave for a few years in the late 90's. It was always a great battle against Zoom and a few of the other Henderson 30s. In 1996 it is/was  a great design with a few cool innovations. nothing but good times.

#89 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

Paul.... Where did New Wave go?

Any tips for trimming main that I can pass on to my main trimmer?

#90 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Threads been quiet.  Here is a pic with a reacher up.

Attached File  DSC_1024.JPG   60.01K   111 downloads

#91 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Rudder bearing update:

So I pulled the balls out of both upper and lower races and replaced them with  delrin bushings.  It was pretty clear on the first sail that there was to much friction with this setup.  The boat had lost its light air feel in the rudder, and spinnaker reaching above 15 kts was difficult.

Round two:

We pulled the bushings out and put ¼” notches on the inside circumference of the bushings about every inch all the way around.  This dramatically improved the performance though still not 100 % satisfactory.

After round two I decided to abandon the bushings for the rest of the year due to a packed racing schedule that included a few distance races.  We did make one more mod before we took off for the races.

Round three:

I took thin strips of 3/8” delrin and  4200 them to the inner and outer walls of the bearing races.  Then I used a dremel tool and sanded the races to size.  I replaced the bushings with the 3/8 balls.  I was hoping to get the original feel of the rudder back with no wear on the races.

Round three worked great!!  I have sailed in quite a few races since the last mod which included both light and heavy conditions, upwind/downwind/reaching and the bearings have worked great.  I pulled them apart for an inspection  and there is no visible wear.

Regarding the bushings…………………………….I have a lot of time and a few hundred bucks in the project.  I probably will try notching the outside of the bushings and insert them again inside my delrin lined races and see how they work.  But round three is looking good,

Eerie

Eerie.

#92 Aperson

Aperson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Thank you for the update.

Still not sure what we are going to do but we will be doing something shortly. 

#93 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Where do you race your boat?

#94 Migelikor

Migelikor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

We're wrapping a solid 5th season on the Heart of Gold (#119) up in Boston.  For anyone considering a Hendo, here's what we think we've learned:

1) Reefing sucks.

2) We got a big-foot #2.  It's damn fast.

3) Sailing at 1450ish lbs is fast.  Since we have ladies aboard, that means 8-9 bodies, with 8 as the sweet spot for rail real estate.

4) That 8-13ish kts of breeze pre-plane bracket sucks.  We have a very tough time fighting IMX-40s etc. in those conditions.

Regarding how the boat's holding up, I'd say remarkably well.  We've had to address soft spots under the rear stanchion bases, caused by years of hiking, but beyond that, it's in great shape.  The scariest day we've had was a big-breeze Buzzard's Bay Regatta, where we managed to take a massive amount of water in around the bowsprit port...that may be a design flaw, as we've tried lots of different gasket materials without a lot of luck.

#95 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

There is something to be said for re rating that boat with a bit less roach and a 135 as the biggest headsail to get the boat in the 50's if you live in a breezy venue. With the big main having a normal roach main for big air is a must have fuck a reef. With that rigs barely swept spreaders I always felt that the leech tension on the main did a lot to keep the rig in the boat with the kite up. With a reef in its just you, the tiny backstay and a cantilevered top mast.

#96 Aperson

Aperson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

San Francisco Bay.

Where do you race your boat?

#97 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

There is something to be said for re rating that boat with a bit less roach and a 135 as the biggest headsail to get the boat in the 50's if you live in a breezy venue. With the big main having a normal roach main for big air is a must have fuck a reef. With that rigs barely swept spreaders I always felt that the leech tension on the main did a lot to keep the rig in the boat with the kite up. With a reef in its just you, the tiny backstay and a cantilevered top mast.

I tried it with a 135 genoa and a -1 for fat head main, but had a 155 genoa made .... Wow what a difference... Crew weight is key... If you lots of light weight females, then 10 people is not unheard of. It is all about keeping the boat balanced.

I know other owners who only carry the155 to 8 kts true and goes down to a 142. I keep the 155 up to 15 kts if I have full crew. The 155 is a weapon in light air!

#98 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

We're wrapping a solid 5th season on the Heart of Gold (#119) up in Boston.  For anyone considering a Hendo, here's what we think we've learned:

1) Reefing sucks.
2) We got a big-foot #2.  It's damn fast.
3) Sailing at 1450ish lbs is fast.  Since we have ladies aboard, that means 8-9 bodies, with 8 as the sweet spot for rail real estate.
4) That 8-13ish kts of breeze pre-plane bracket sucks.  We have a very tough time fighting IMX-40s etc. in those conditions.

Regarding how the boat's holding up, I'd say remarkably well.  We've had to address soft spots under the rear stanchion bases, caused by years of hiking, but beyond that, it's in great shape.  The scariest day we've had was a big-breeze Buzzard's Bay Regatta, where we managed to take a massive amount of water in around the bowsprit port...that may be a design flaw, as we've tried lots of different gasket materials without a lot of luck.

I added Melges 32 knees under my stanchions right after I got the boat. I had no problems with stanchions, but wanted to stiffen the boat up.

#99 gossmanl

gossmanl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I tried it with a 135 genoa and a -1 for fat head main, but had a 155 genoa made .... Wow what a difference... Crew weight is key... If you lots of light weight females, then 10 people is not unheard of. It is all about keeping the boat balanced.

I know other owners who only carry the155 to 8 kts true and goes down to a 142. I keep the 155 up to 15 kts if I have full crew. The 155 is a weapon in light air!

Been sailing on the hendo Mojito on Lake Erie and we have found that if we can have the 155 up we are almost untouchable upwind against our local phrf fleet. 

#100 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

I know a lot of Hendo owners check in on this thread, and that is a good thing.  So the next step.  Can we get together and race?  Here is a loose criteria that I have for racing other Hendersons.

1, Prefer east of the Rockies (sorry)

2, Would prefer a non Key West Block Island type regatta (to expensive)

3.  Would be best to piggyback onto a regatta with PHRF classes in case we don’t get enough boats for our own class.  (Planning wouldn’t be wasted, we could still race)

4, Would prefer a regatta with free launch, free dock & cheap local lodging.

5, Months I won’t travel is July.  June is tough also.

6, If you have a cool local regatta in your area, let us know.  I like traveling to these types of events.

First event I’d like to throw out for consideration is St Pete NOODS in February.  Free lauch (ramp or singlepoint) free dock, lots of local lodging.

Any thoughts? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users