9 replies to this topic

#1 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

Too lazy to search and far to lazy to take the old one off and measure. Can someone tell me how long this needs to be so I can get one made and only mess around up the rig once. Thanks guys.

#2 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Too lazy to search and far to lazy to take the old one off and measure. Can someone tell me how long this needs to be so I can get one made and only mess around up the rig once. Thanks guys.

Ordered mine from APS length seems okay, but the length of the Back Stay was way to short.. Had to Increase the top cascade to 112 inch's and everything okay now..

#3 CazzaRanda

CazzaRanda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

Measures taken from the rigger that did ours 3.5 years ago:

142' of 1/4" blue Validator II Vectran
7' of 3/16" amsteel blue/Lightning

The amsteel end (top of the mast) is supposed to have better chafing property, while vectran is better for creeping.

Note: Measures are from invoice: so I suspect that after splicing and eye was made the total length is somewhat shorter (2-3 feet?).

Cazza

#4 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:54 AM

Cazza, that must be a 2:1 halyard, what's your experience with that? Good, bad? Seems tempting to me.

#5 CazzaRanda

CazzaRanda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

Cazza, that must be a 2:1 halyard, what's your experience with that? Good, bad? Seems tempting to me.

Yes, 2:1 is what he asked for. It works great: we used to have slipping problems, no more (we have also upgraded to lewmar clutches). We just use the clutch (no stopper) for the main, even in very strong winds. We use a tylaska h5 shackle: http://www.tylaska.com/H5.html

Cazza

#6 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

if you are clipping it to the back of the boom when not in use then mast height x 4, 56m or there abouts

it gives you a little extra for the splice and a bit extra for redoing the splice when you want to move it or end for end it

#7 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thanks guys getting it made up today.

#8 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

is it really necessary to have a 2:1 main halyard? 1:1 too heavy?

#9 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

it's mostly about the clutch slipping, many back up the clutch with a cam cleat for extra holding power
halyards are small diameter 6-8mm

#10 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

it's mostly about the clutch slipping, many back up the clutch with a cam cleat for extra holding power
halyards are small diameter 6-8mm

thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users