87 replies to this topic

#1 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

OK, About to finish my first flight on EmiratesAir. SF to Dubai to can't say where.

But I'm seeing much that I think Grant should be worriedabout. In the entire trip, I've seen no mention of ETNZ at all. Nothing. Had way too many hours to go through the uber entertainment system in these sleeping pods. It has the biggest selection (and screens) I've ever seen on an airplane, and nothing on the AC. Went to sport, found a category for sailing, thought I was there, and nope. Rolex was getting top billing for their sponsorship of the Sydney Hobart. Saw a couple of programs about that race, but not even passing comment about AC or ETNZ.

Then looked at the in flight magazine. Nada. There was even an article about the wonders of NZ, but no mention of sailing, the AC, or TNZ. Just the natural wonders, and a touch of rugby 'cause its hosting the world cup.

Maybe GD has a mate there that will make it happen no matter what, but it is pretty clear that they are not making use of their sponsorship in their own marketing. Perhaps they are content to incent the people that actually come in contact with the boat and the racing, but given their marketing reach inside their business, it seems like a serious waste of a significant part of the effort. It would make me nervous at TNZ as the better integrated into the sponsors marketing, the better the stability of the relationship.

Final tidbit… as we landed, we flew over RAK. Got my phone out to snap a pic of the AC village and just got it before it went under thewing. Looks like nothing has happened there since Alinghi left. All that appears to be there is their leftover base. Otherwise, the island is bare… as is most of the land around the Lagoon. If the rumor that Ernie owned a load of it, then Larry definitely killed more than the AC for him....

Final tidbit... landed and read that TNZ won it all. Good on them mates. Now make Emirates make some hey about it!

Attached Files

#2 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

OK, About to finish my first flight on EmiratesAir. SF to Dubai to can't say where.

But I'm seeing much that I think Grant should be worriedabout. In the entire trip, I've seen no mention of ETNZ at all. Nothing. Had way too many hours to go through the uber entertainment system in these sleeping pods. It has the biggest selection (and screens) I've ever seen on an airplane, and nothing on the AC. Went to sport, found a category for sailing, thought I was there, and nope. Rolex was getting top billing for their sponsorship of the Sydney Hobart. Saw a couple of programs about that race, but not even passing comment about AC or ETNZ.

Then looked at the in flight magazine. Nada. There was even an article about the wonders of NZ, but no mention of sailing, the AC, or TNZ. Just the natural wonders, and a touch of rugby 'cause its hosting the world cup.

Maybe GD has a mate there that will make it happen no matter what, but it is pretty clear that they are not making use of their sponsorship in their own marketing. Perhaps they are content to incent the people that actually come in contact with the boat and the racing, but given their marketing reach inside their business, it seems like a serious waste of a significant part of the effort. It would make me nervous at TNZ as the better integrated into the sponsors marketing, the better the stability of the relationship.

Final tidbit… as we landed, we flew over RAK. Got my phone out to snap a pic of the AC village and just got it before it went under thewing. Looks like nothing has happened there since Alinghi left. All that appears to be there is their leftover base. Otherwise, the island is bare… as is most of the land around the Lagoon. If the rumor that Ernie owned a load of it, then Larry definitely killed more than the AC for him....

Final tidbit... landed and read that TNZ won it all. Good on them mates. Now make Emirates make some hey about it!

Interesting take - it does make sense that the relationship be a bit more symbiotic than it would appear at the moment from an Emirates passenger's point of view.

Great photo intel - from the "camera phone drone", poor Ernie! Awww.

#3 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • Interests:BOC Challenge 90-91, 94-95, Around Alone 98, Whitbread 93-94, 97-98, America's Cup 2000.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

You have it backwards. The America's Cup boat is supposed to promote the airline, not the other way around.

#4 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

By the way, ETNZ did one thing right: The paint scheme of their boat. It stands out of the fleet like a beacon. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but visibility is obvious.

#5 CheekyMonkey

CheekyMonkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

You have it backwards. The America's Cup boat is supposed to promote the airline, not the other way around.

Wow, never expected this one to fly right over your head.

The most successful marketing partnerships take the opportunity to enhance the appeal of all parties.

Casey Mears doesn't appear in Geico commercials just because he's naturally an appealing pitchman. Nor does Tony Stewart in any of his ads.

If, as TK and others believe, ETNZ is the premier team in sailing, always known as winners, and GD is a god among men, why wouldn't Emirates want to take advantage of that association?

To be fair, many companies, especially large ones with fragmented marketing, don't exploit such associations, but this one appears to be a naturally good fit.

Or perhaps they don't want to attract those rowdy Facebookers to their planes. :)

#6 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

Valid comment. I wonder though whether the Emirates take is that the ETNZ partnership generates visibility for the Emirates airline to interest potential new customers, with the view that those already enjoying the luxury of an Emirates flight don't need to be convinced. They are a great airline to fly with: my favourite and airline of choice when ever I need to fly internationally.

#7 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:23 AM

Go to http://www.emirates....onsorships.aspx to what Emirates sponsor. The ETNZ sponsorship is but a drop in the ocean.

#8 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

Valid comment. I wonder though whether the Emirates take is that the ETNZ partnership generates visibility for the Emirates airline to interest potential new customers, with the view that those already enjoying the luxury of an Emirates flight don't need to be convinced. They are a great airline to fly with: my favourite and airline of choice when ever I need to fly internationally.

I thought Emirates interest in TNZ and AC in SF was driven by emirates desire to expand business to/in SF market

#9 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:37 AM

Go to http://www.emirates....onsorships.aspx to what Emirates sponsor. The ETNZ sponsorship is but a drop in the ocean.

and they already were sponsoring multihulls link

#10 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • Interests:BOC Challenge 90-91, 94-95, Around Alone 98, Whitbread 93-94, 97-98, America's Cup 2000.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

The most successful marketing partnerships take the opportunity to enhance the appeal of all parties.

There's no partnership. Emirates is sponsoring the America's Cup boat. It is a form of advertising. For Emirates to put up ads about its own ads makes no sense and, more importantly, makes Emirates no money. Selling airline seat makes Emirates money.

#11 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

OK, About to finish my first flight on EmiratesAir. SF to Dubai to can't say where. But I'm seeing much that I think Grant should be worriedabout.

Finnfart ... are you going to Syria or Iran?

Both could use a bit of rule by law!

Regarding your point, Grant is more concerned with satisfying the unwashed kiwi masses than with passengers flying first class (SF to Can't Say where).

Come on, where are you going?

#12 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

FWIW, I've heard that their sponsorship of ETNZ for AC32 achieved their highest rate-of-return of all of their sports sponsorships. This may have been anecdotal, not sure how it was calculated, what timespan was covered, etc. but it certainly piqued my interest when I heard it from someone who should know and usually tells me the truth.

#13 BogusScum

BogusScum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

What a stupid fuck Hastings - they guy said he can't tell where. Then, you have to try to out him. Complete, unmitigated fuckwad.

#14 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

FWIW, I've heard that their sponsorship of ETNZ for AC32 achieved their highest rate-of-return of all of their sports sponsorships. This may have been anecdotal, not sure how it was calculated, what timespan was covered, etc. but it certainly piqued my interest when I heard it from someone who should know and usually tells me the truth.

EMIRATES seem to have picked some very good sponsorships around the world over the last 4-5 years. In Australasia at least, they've picked up Aussie's Melbourne Cup with is unquestionably THE top horse race event in the Southern Hemisphere which attracts a lot of non-Australasian publicity, and of course ETNZ. I imagine EMIRATES would not be too disappointed with the results from ETNZ in Cascais, with their highly visible livery standing out from the rest of the AC45 fleet.

#15 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

emirates wanted to buy auckland airport

turn it into their southern hub

and become a true round world airline

but when they tried to buy it was too close to 9/11 and the nz public didn't want to sell strategic infrastructure to unknown arabs....

sponsorship could be a way to influence the hearts and minds of the nz public and get them onside

emirates would be a great employer and builder of airport infrastructure in nz

certainly air nz and gov haven't got the money to do anything much with auckland airport

"Ricky Ward of Tyndall Asset Management said expectations were that Emirates would use Auckland as a hub. "That invokes further competition on the transtasman route, and clearly that's detrimental to Air New Zealand." Tyndall was aware of rumours that Emirates had been eyeing Auckland as a potential hub for some time.

It is understood that Auckland is viewed as the second best option for a hub linking China and India with South America. Sydney would be the preferred option but is already too congested for Emirates to upscale."

http://www.pprune.or...p/t-285170.html

#16 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

You missed my point completely. I'm not talking about marketing TNZ to the passengers of the airline. I'm talking about re-marketing the airline to its current passengers by showing the excellent products it sponsors.

Sorry that was too complicated for you.

#17 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

OK, About to finish my first flight on EmiratesAir. SF to Dubai to can't say where. But I'm seeing much that I think Grant should be worriedabout.

Both could use a bit of rule by law!

Regarding your point, Grant is more concerned with satisfying the unwashed kiwi masses than with passengers flying first class (SF to Can't Say where).

Come on, where are you going?

The marketing the airline posts is visible to the entire plane, so it should work for the unwashed masses as well. But any airline knows that most of its money comes from business folk, and particularly from the front of the bus. Hence, marketing there should have the highest ROI. Furthermore, the percentage of people familiar with sailing goes up with economic means. I know you say that sailing is a poor mans sport in NZ, but I don't buy it. It is only cheaper than in many other markets. The hand-to-mouth'ers aren't sailing competitively on friday afternoon, nor flying internationally.

As for my destination, there is nothing nefarious there. It is only that I work under confidentiality agreements, and the destination gives too much of a hint as to the client. I think it a noble cause however as the ultimate result is more renewable energy!

#18 tomtom

tomtom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

You missed my point completely. I'm not talking about marketing TNZ to the passengers of the airline. I'm talking about re-marketing the airline to its current passengers by showing the excellent products it sponsors.

Sorry that was too complicated for you.

+ 1, I have tried to get the concepts of affiliate marketing, viral marketing, selling by association through to him with no success. The notion that Emirates would spend millions and millions to only get their name on a sail just so that people can see it, is a pretty simplified take on marketing. If thats what they wanted, they could have become title sponsor of AC, or just bought some airtime to send out some adds, less cost, less effort, more security, less risky (what if ETNZ rolled, tanked and someone got hurt? "Emirates, a safe way to fly? Off?") so yes, they want the performance of the team to reflect off on them as well. Perhaps they were just waiting till the first results came in?

#19 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:42 AM

You missed my point completely. I'm not talking about marketing TNZ to the passengers of the airline.

You were but moving along.

I'm talking about re-marketing the airline to its current passengers by showing the excellent products it sponsors.

America's Cup is not a product. Emirates sponsors the boat in the event to market its airline and to sell airline seats. Promoting its own advertising makes no sense. The name on America's Cup boats is to advertise the airline.

Sorry that was too simple for you.

#20 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

You missed my point completely. I'm not talking about marketing TNZ to the passengers of the airline.

I'm talking about re-marketing the airline to its current passengers by showing the excellent products it sponsors.

America's Cup is not a product. Emirates sponsors the boat in the event to market its airline and to sell airline seats. Promoting its own advertising makes no sense. The name on America's Cup boats is to advertise the airline.

Q.E.D.

#21 tomtom

tomtom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

OK, pearls and swines come to mind, but I found a pretty decent explanation here why, in the marketing of public events such as Nascar (quoted in the article) and the AC it is not about the visibility but about the partnership i.e. the network in which a company such as Emirates enters when it sponsors an event such as the AC. To quote: "...the public event presents a unique picture of how a potential partner is perceived as adding value to a network..." i.e. they are not there just to profit from the advert/billing visibilty, they are adding value to the whole event by being there and the event adds value to them.
Good article, have a read.

Sorry if that was too complex for you.

Attached Files

#22 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

To quote: "...the public event presents a unique picture of how a potential partner is perceived as adding value to a network..." i.e. they are not there just to profit from the advert/billing visibilty, they are adding value to the whole event by being there and the event adds value to them.

You mean Louis Vuitton gets high profile advertising to its target customers and having Louis Vuitton as a sponsor adds to the event. That rates a Homer Simpson, Doh!

Good grief. Stating marketing 101 generalities is irrelevant to the idea that Emirates should be spending money advertising the event when the entire point of the event is to advertise Emirates airline and sell airline seats.

If you were following the discussions on venue, Emirates did not want to participate unless the America's Cup was held in San Francisco, a key target market for them. What you will see from Emirates is advertising FOR AIRLINE SEATS using the America's Cup and San Francisco as exciting destination ad copy. Filling a couple A380's from DXB or PEK to SFO is the goal.

It would be smart for Emirates to sponsor Team China. China is the biggest market with the most internet access to the AC web broadcasts. Watching China's flagged boat challenging the US in the technology center of the world, challenging the US for being the technology center of the world, Advertising their America's Cup specials for Chinese millionaires will fill the most A380's.

#23 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Back stateside, and on this leg of the trip, there was evidence that Emirates gets the concept i'm talking about which is "advertise to your current customers that you sponsor a cool product ( event) NOT "advertise the event to your customers" as some can't see beyond.

This time, there was extensive advertising onboard for their sponsorship of the Rugby world cup. Looked good, and it made sense marketing-wise as they got the glow from the event, and perhaps got their customers thinking about buying air tickets to go to the event... which are their indirect and direct intentions.

This is what I'm sayingTNZ needs to get out of Emirates. Not because the marketing helps TNZ directly, but because it solidifies the relationship and generates demand for the sponsor's product... which is the ultimate glue.

I'll grant that it is early, but regardless, I still think the Sailing channel on their entertainment system should feature their sponsored boats, and their in-flight mag should at least mention the team and the events where it will be sailing. Lead time is critical for these 'optional' travel type things, so planting the seed early is key.

Just a free suggestion from a guy that gets paid very well for this kind of advice to CEOs.

#24 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

Back stateside, and on this leg of the trip, there was evidence that Emirates gets the concept i'm talking about which is "advertise to your current customers that you sponsor a cool product ( event) NOT "advertise the event to your customers" as some can't see beyond.

This time, there was extensive advertising onboard for their sponsorship of the Rugby world cup. Looked good, and it made sense marketing-wise as they got the glow from the event, and perhaps got their customers thinking about buying air tickets to go to the event... which are their indirect and direct intentions.

This is what I'm sayingTNZ needs to get out of Emirates. Not because the marketing helps TNZ directly, but because it solidifies the relationship and generates demand for the sponsor's product... which is the ultimate glue.

I'll grant that it is early, but regardless, I still think the Sailing channel on their entertainment system should feature their sponsored boats, and their in-flight mag should at least mention the team and the events where it will be sailing. Lead time is critical for these 'optional' travel type things, so planting the seed early is key.

Just a free suggestion from a guy that gets paid very well for this kind of advice to CEOs.

It does sound strange that the PR arm of Emirates has not tackled this as a matter of course, once the sponsorship was approved. Maybe they have been waiting for more in terms of quality material associated with ETNZ and the current AC circus to feed the machine.

#25 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,680 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

OK, pearls and swines come to mind, but I found a pretty decent explanation here why, in the marketing of public events such as Nascar (quoted in the article) and the AC it is not about the visibility but about the partnership i.e. the network in which a company such as Emirates enters when it sponsors an event such as the AC. To quote: "...the public event presents a unique picture of how a potential partner is perceived as adding value to a network..." i.e. they are not there just to profit from the advert/billing visibilty, they are adding value to the whole event by being there and the event adds value to them.

It is interesting and I did (scan) read it. It's certainly clear that Emirates would enhance its own sponsorship by publicising its involvement with ETNZ. I'm less certain that a case can be made that Emirates is a core contributor to the event, other than financially. It's not as if they are bringing some key capability. Arguably that model fitted much better to BMW in BMW-Oracle as-was, in that BMW brought performance modelling and measurement capabilities to the design process, or so at least we were told.

#26 tomtom

tomtom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

It is interesting and I did (scan) read it. It's certainly clear that Emirates would enhance its own sponsorship by publicising its involvement with ETNZ. I'm less certain that a case can be made that Emirates is a core contributor to the event, other than financially. It's not as if they are bringing some key capability. Arguably that model fitted much better to BMW in BMW-Oracle as-was, in that BMW brought performance modelling and measurement capabilities to the design process, or so at least we were told.

True, but BMW actually never capitalised on that fact, only BOR did. I think that BMW might have been a little uncomfortable being associated with this "slagging match" and therefore never did drive that point home in any european marketing campaigns and perhaps also because a significant part of their target market were Alinghians. I think if Emirates want to push their return on their marketing buck, they should be seen as an added value partner, if only through providing enhancing and enthralling marketing campaigns that fans of AC see as value added - that is the only viewpoint that counts (such as "race a virtual AC72 the fastest between Emirates Hubs", plug a Emirates plane wing onto a virtual AC72 and see which goes the fastest etc) (Eagles: these are virtual games only, before you tell me that some Emirates hubs are landlocked or that a plane wing would be too heave or something)
Else, they could obviously use their "team work" "best way to fly" etc usual tag lines or be the "logistics partners". I noticed that DB and the crew were flying back to NZ to train on the SL33 before coming back to sail in Plymouth - that seems a long way, and the question is: did they fly Emirates :-))

There is another marketing success story in this AC business: whatever you make off EB, he did manage to create a very prominent and recognisable sailing brand in "Alinghi". In Swtzerland you can't go out on a Sunday without seeing at least 5 people with Alinghi hats (mine is signed by Ed Baird ;-)) It is not associated with a sponsor and it is very uniquely a sailing brand, and sailing only. TNZ is another obvious candidate, but the name is now ETNZ i.e . changes with sponsors, and there are other TNZs, such as the All Blacks Rugby team. BOR turned into OR (or should that now be ORP :-) and is so closely linked with the big O, it could be anything. And in fact, if O decided to sponsor Nascar (never seen it be seems to be popular on this site), than it would probably also be called OR. None of the others come even close. So yes, Ernie did have his eye on the ball when he created that. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an Alinghi MOD-70 team in the making :-)

#27 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

I once saw a BMW ad in a Swiss (of all things!) motorsport magazine with RC. It was sometime between AC32 and AC33, IIRC. Never seen anything like that afterwards, and I think that the readers did not really understand why there's suddenly an ad with a sailboat in their mag. And, who is Russell Coutts?

#28 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

(Eagles: these are virtual games only, before you tell me that some Emirates hubs are landlocked or that a plane wing would be too heave or something)

Dubai, Emirates hub, is on the water, Arabian Gulf. Missing that fact, your "marketing" advice is likely as faulty since Emirates push on the water based recreation aspects of Middle East is, in large part, the basis for its sponsorship of sailing. If Emirates can fill fifty A380's, sell 20,000 airline tickets, to San Francisco based on America's Cup 34, it would pay for its sailing advertising budget for AC34.

Marketing for Emirates would be things like knowing WIRED is running a feature on America's Cup and putting an ad in that issue with a picture of Emirates AC34 entry on San Francisco Bay and advertising Emirates wired airline services. That's the job of WIRED's advertising editor to get in touch with Emirates about the article and Emirates sailing marketing people knowing that WIRED is featuring the race and getting ads into those issues.

#29 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

(Eagles: these are virtual games only, before you tell me that some Emirates hubs are landlocked or that a plane wing would be too heave or something)

Dubai, Emirates hub, is on the water, Arabian Gulf. Missing that fact, your "marketing" advice is likely as faulty since Emirates push on the water based recreation aspects of Middle East is, in large part, the basis for its sponsorship of sailing. If Emirates can fill fifty A380's, sell 20,000 airline tickets, to San Francisco based on America's Cup 34, it would pay for its sailing advertising budget for AC34.

Marketing for Emirates would be things like knowing WIRED is running a feature on America's Cup and putting an ad in that issue with a picture of Emirates AC34 entry on San Francisco Bay and advertising Emirates wired airline services. That's the job of WIRED's advertising editor to get in touch with Emirates about the article and Emirates sailing marketing people knowing that WIRED is featuring the race and getting ads into those issues.

I realise that you know everything there is to know about everything, but during my time in Motor Racing it was accepted that the company sponsering a race team had a budget of at least the same for promotion of their product using the the team...which is why a companies as diverse as Virgin and Budweiser spend so much in ads which promote the team and the product...

I also realise that I have just wasted 5 minutes of my life wrestling with a pig...I have resisted replying to your nonsense because you are a total wanker and will not be doing it in the future...

#30 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

I realise that you know everything there is to know about everything,

Real key is knowing how to find information like the facts that TomTom didn't know. That Emirates hub is Dubai. That Dubai is a port city on the Arabian Gulf. Those key facts tended to devalue his/her advice to Emirates on using their sponsorship of sailing events and teams to promote their business.

#31 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

In Swtzerland you can't go out on a Sunday without seeing at least 5 people with Alinghi hats.

You still see plenty of Alinghi gear worn around British sailing clubs too.

#32 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

In Swtzerland you can't go out on a Sunday without seeing at least 5 people with Alinghi hats.

I wear an Alinghi hat every day that I drive with the top down, the Alinghi swirl is stylish and the logo matches the car's color. It also has a clip that I can attach to my collar.

#33 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

I wear an Alinghi hat every day that I drive with the top down, the Alinghi swirl is stylish and the logo matches the car's color. It also has a clip that I can attach to my collar.

I'm sure you look very dapperPosted Image

Posted Image

#34 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

^ Lol - Think you'd need an Alinghi helmet instead for riding that thing :)

#35 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,152 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

I'm sure you look very dapperPosted Image

Posted Image

SW's car ? :)

#36 Philippe_Chaplin

Philippe_Chaplin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

Was wondering if Nespresso did include the AC in their site, not yet but it should come, when you see what they have on the Nespresso Cup in Portofino: http://www.nespresso...cup-trophy.html

#37 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

Real key is knowing how to find information like the facts that TomTom didn't know. That Emirates hub is Dubai. That Dubai is a port city on the Arabian Gulf. Those key facts tended to devalue his/her advice to Emirates on using their sponsorship of sailing events and teams to promote their business.

Pig wrestling 1.1

You used the one line in my post which said you are no nothing googling troll.
You did not acknowledge the fact that I said sponsers as diverse as Virgin and Budweiser spend big money to promote their association with a race team along with their product..

That part of the Arabian Gulf needs all the good publicity they can get right now and promoting their national airlines association with team new zealand might distract from their reputation as a bunch of sand lot religious zealots.
Don't expect you to get it....

#38 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

Pig wrestling 1.1

You did not acknowledge the fact that I said sponsers as diverse as Virgin and Budweiser spend big money to promote their association with a race team along with their product..

That part of the Arabian Gulf needs all the good publicity they can get right now and promoting their national airlines association with team new zealand might distract from their reputation as a bunch of sand lot religious zealots.

Bacon frying 1.2

1. As you see above, you only posted one line.

2. Your one line didn't mention Virgin or Budweiser.

3. My comment had to do with TomTom not knowing that Emirates hub was Dubai or that Dubai was on the water, a port on the Arabian Gulf.

4. You clearly didn't get it.

#39 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:54 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

Real key is knowing how to find information like the facts that TomTom didn't know. That Emirates hub is Dubai. That Dubai is a port city on the Arabian Gulf. Those key facts tended to devalue his/her advice to mirates on sing their sponsorship of sailing events and teams to promote their business.
[/quote]

Pig wrestling 1.1

[/quote]

Bacon frying 1.2

As you can see below ..you are lying..

I realise that you know everything there is to know about everything, but during my time in Motor Racing it was accepted that the company sponsering a race team had a budget of at least the same for promotion of their product using the the team...which is why a companies as diverse as Virgin and Budweiser spend so much in ads which promote the team and the product...

I also realise that I have just wasted 5 minutes of my life wrestling with a pig...I have resisted replying to your nonsense because you are a total wanker and will not be doing it in the future...

2. Your one line didn't mention Virgin or Budweiser.

As you see above ..you are lying..

3. My comment had to do with TomTom not knowing that Emirates hub was Dubai or that Dubai was on the water, a port on the Arabian Gulf.

4. You clearly didn't get it.

Fuck off...

[/quote]

#40 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

Yikes...extra crispy bacon...might be some sweetbread in the fire.

As you see below, TomTom asked me to comment which I did, pointing out his error in not knowing that Emirates hub was in Dubai and that Dubain was not landlocked as he supposed but is, in fact, a port city on the Arabian Gulf. He was offering marketing advice to Emirate but did not know some basic facts of Emirates business.

#41 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

This is why anything to do with you is wrestling with a pig...

As you can see below ..you are lying..

You said I did not post the above when I clearly did..
You then changed the subject to some previous post with someone else...

Life's too short to waste time with a fucking retard..

#42 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

You then changed the subject to some previous post with someone else...

Nope. You jumped into a conversation between TomTom and myself about Emirates hub and location. He mentioned me, I responded. You came out of left field and then got hit on the head with the ball.

Life's too short to waste time with a fucking retard..

I don't mind helping you out with info like Dubai being Emirates hub and a sea port vs. landlocked as TomTom mistakenly thought.

Missed opportunity by Emirates to put an ad in WIRED noting they were sponsoring a team in the event covered by the WIRED story. And the WIRED demographic are Emirates target demographic. Lucky for Emirates that WIRED is going to be doing an ongoing series on the America's Cup.

The truly awful marketing is by Emirates sailing team. Their website is bad, perfunctory at best. They don't utilize all the cool content provide by the AC34 folks as do they other teams, the repackaged videos for example. Dalton made a big speech about using "social media" if AC34 hammered him too much over his failure to fulfill his contract about AC34 content but the only social networking Emirates sailing team has is the Facebook page that AC34 set them (and every other team) up with as part of the AC34 team pages.

#43 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:05 AM

emirates have a sailing team?

#44 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

emirates have a sailing team?

According to their website, it's mentioned after Football (they mean soccer) and Rugby but before Powerboats and Golf so that's something.

#45 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

the country has a website?

#46 tomtom

tomtom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

OK, its pig wrestling time again, I do confess that I actually baited this particular pig, but still.

My post stated "Emirates hubs" Miss the "s"? It usually means the plural, which means: "more than one".
1) Every airline (and yes I have worked with a few) has a mother "hub" and then other international hubs on the main continents they fly to. They don't fly to every destination willy-nilly: that is too expensive. They have a central location and then remote hubs they connect to and then provide onward services from there either themselves or through code sharing or other partnership deals. For instance like in this article: "emirates-makes-manchester-mideast-hub-as-ba-sticks-to-heathrow" (you know what, this internet thingy is great! never knew about it (until about 15 years ago when I started to design websites!))
2) A race with only 1 hub is dumb - that is not a race, it's a circle, unless it is the Vendee Globe
3) Manchester is definitely not on the sea, I have been there, in fact, I actually built a big fuck off travel website there for someone, funny that.
4) And you know what, Dubai is on the Gulf! I know that, you know how? I actually went there and worked for an UAE firm doing - surprise - marketing and loyalty management websites.

And you definitely showed that you know sweet f. all about marketing:
"Marketing for Emirates would be things like knowing WIRED is running a feature on America's Cup and putting an ad in that issue with a picture of Emirates AC34 entry on San Francisco Bay and advertising Emirates wired airline services"
That is not a marketing campaign, that is an incidental or opportunistic sales campaign i.e. hook into interest generated by others.

Pig's in the mud, ears all floppy, little grunting noises emanating from the brown bubbles it blows....

#47 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

the country has a website?

Yep. http://www.emirates.org/

#48 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

Pig's in the mud, ears all floppy, little grunting noises emanating from the brown bubbles it blows....

Unfair. Pigs are intelligent and inquisitive animals.

#49 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

My post stated "Emirates hubs" Miss the "s"? It usually means the plural, which means: "more than one".

Emirates lists Dubai as their sole hub. If you look at Emirates route map, you will see that is the case.

For instance like in this article: "emirates-makes-manchester-mideast-hub-as-ba-sticks-to-heathrow"

It's a destination in UK not a hub from which one would change planes and can book an Emirates flight to Berlin or JFK which is how actual hubs work. It's a reporter from Bloomberg noting that due to overcapacity at Heatherow several of Middle East airlines are using Manchester as destination. Different than the hub system.

Specific to Emirates wanting the America's Cup in San Francisco for the airlines strategic business goals they could make stopovers in Europe for the flights from Emirates hub in Dubai to San Francisco but nothing on their schedule now for that plan just the direct SF/Dubai flights. All depends on Emirates strategic goal with San Francisco. Adding the stopovers in Europe for Dubain/SF flight? Boosting traffic on the Dubai/SF routes. Adding stopover flights in Asia in Hong Kong, Shanhai or Seoul (Team China, Team Korea) and creating a West to East Dubai/SF service.

Be interesting to see if Emirates advertises in WIRED when the next America's Cup story is featured. As the WIRED editors and writers noted, it is the "geek engineering" aspect of AC34 that make it a WIRED story.

#50 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:57 AM

Hey guys... Sorry I started this thread.

But I guess the pig will always find mud... even if it has to make it up, or ignore the obvious to get to it.

#51 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:58 AM

And in news just in from the Viaduct...the old Alinghi Pink Palace is definitely no more! (well maybe not, Im not sure if they have thought about painting that logo off the roof yet...dont believe me, check google earth.)

The signwriting has been applied to the NEW Emirates Team New Zealand base and it looks amazing. Right up next to the WICKED Wynyard Quarter precinct of town which kicks the old Viaducts ass.

Very much like the base in Valencia in styling and logos etc except all updated with new sponsors which look fab and are huge so all the hoards down here for the Rugby World Cup can see them and also on the northern wall which abuts the entrance to WQ is this AWESOME History of Team New Zealand in the AC wall which gives a great promo background to everyone.

This is so cool I could not believe my eyes.

Love it.

Cant wait for the new look of gear they are about to release via North Sails too.

Attached Files

#52 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

And in news just in from the Viaduct...the old Alinghi Pink Palace is definitely no more! (well maybe not, Im not sure if they have thought about painting that logo off the roof yet...dont believe me, check google earth.)

Seeing this .... Eagles might now have the decency to apologize for his idiotic attempts to characterise TNZ as "Emirates."

This signage is further evidence for the fact Dalts understands (and celebrates) his kiwi roots.

Moreover, it acknowledges the important contributions of earlier campaigns and campaigners.

Kia kaha Team New Zealand!

Attached Files

#53 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

This signage is further evidence for the fact Dalts understands (and celebrates) his kiwi roots.

Well it is evidence that Dalton put up a sign to advertise his current employer.

Moreover, it acknowledges the important contributions of earlier campaigns and campaigners.

Certainly shows the clear separation of Team New Zealand (Blake's national effort) vs. Daltons commercial follow on with Emirates.

#54 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

The signwriting has been applied to the NEW Emirates Team New Zealand base and it looks amazing. Right up next to the WICKED Wynyard Quarter precinct of town which kicks the old Viaducts ass.

The speedy transformation of an old, unsightly fuel tank farm and cement works into a vibrant cosmopolitan Wynard Quarter has been wonderful to watch. My son and I biked down there yesterday to enjoy the busy new playground, listen to a jazz band, eat mussel fritters, and watch the flow of people exploring the new open spaces and restaurants. Many are visiting from a dozen different countries to cheer their teams in the Rugby World Cup. Had a morning coffee next to a happy Maori All Blacks fan with full face tattoo, tribal ink everywhere, Steinlager in hand. (NZ beat France last night, BTW.) I agree with MM that the new WQ kicks the old viaduct's arse because of the creative open spaces and resurrection of public transport. This did not exist several months ago.

The new quarter retains flavours of its heritage: shipping containers have been transformed into educational and convenience amenities, trolley cars carry passengers on rails once used for cargo, fishing boats still have berthage. Wide steps lead down to kid-friendly, all-tide water access. The best fish market in New Zealand is even better. I've been meaning to take photos of select new sights for posting on SA, will try not to forget some future sunny weekend.

The new building branding is standard but the addition of a coffee company as major sponsor offers welcome, practical benefits to many team members. What is more remarkable than the public rennovations are the goings-ons on between those black and red walls not yet visible to the sight-seer's eye. From boatbuilder to bowman, the new WQ being the centre of AC35 feels in the realm of promising probability.

#55 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:20 AM

The speedy transformation of an old, unsightly fuel tank farm and cement works into a vibrant cosmopolitan Wynard Quarter has been wonderful to watch. My son and I biked down there yesterday to enjoy the busy new playground, listen to a jazz band, eat mussel fritters, and watch the flow of people exploring the new open spaces and restaurants. Many are visiting from a dozen different countries to cheer their teams in the Rugby World Cup. Had a morning coffee next to a happy Maori All Blacks fan with full face tattoo, tribal ink everywhere, Steinlager in hand. (NZ beat France last night, BTW.) I agree with MM that the new WQ kicks the old viaduct's arse because of the creative open spaces and resurrection of public transport. This did not exist several months ago.

The new quarter retains flavours of its heritage: shipping containers have been transformed into educational and convenience amenities, trolley cars carry passengers on rails once used for cargo, fishing boats still have berthage. Wide steps lead down to kid-friendly, all-tide water access. The best fish market in New Zealand is even better. I've been meaning to take photos of select new sights for posting on SA, will try not to forget some future sunny weekend.

The new building branding is standard but the addition of a coffee company as major sponsor offers welcome, practical benefits to many team members. What is more remarkable than the public rennovations are the goings-ons on between those black and red walls not yet visible to the sight-seer's eye. From boatbuilder to bowman, the new WQ being the centre of AC35 feels in the realm of promising probability.

You speak total truth. Its an amazing transformation and if many of the guys who have been to Auckland for the 2000/2003 AC's, they will be blown away really by the WQ transformation

I cannot for one wait to see how this area will be in the future but also looking forward to the Volvo Ocean Race returning and utelizing the space in front of the new viaducts events center on the site of some of the old AC bases.

Its going to be great and man....IF the AC ever came back to NZ which I am certain it will one day, THIS area is going the off the hook once stage 2 and 3 are fully developed come 2015+

So far so good, as a Auckland resident and ratepayer, I am more than over the moon to see the cash flowing into this area of marine industry working side by side public space.

As far as ETNZ goes, within the walls there are some amazing developments I am sure bode well for a credible campaign for AC35 not to forget the Volvo.

Watch this space indeed. Sparks will fly and the fireworks will be triumphant.

#56 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,819 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:35 AM

^ Very cool, and thanx for the pics too.

#57 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

You speak total truth. Its an amazing transformation and if many of the guys who have been to Auckland for the 2000/2003 AC's, they will be blown away really by the WQ transformation

I cannot for one wait to see how this area will be in the future but also looking forward to the Volvo Ocean Race returning and utelizing the space in front of the new viaducts events center on the site of some of the old AC bases.

Its going to be great and man....IF the AC ever came back to NZ which I am certain it will one day, THIS area is going the off the hook once stage 2 and 3 are fully developed come 2015+

So far so good, as a Auckland resident and ratepayer, I am more than over the moon to see the cash flowing into this area of marine industry working side by side public space.

As far as ETNZ goes, within the walls there are some amazing developments I am sure bode well for a credible campaign for AC35 not to forget the Volvo.

The best posts since ages, made my Sunday morning. Thanks!

#58 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

^^

Amen to that, and well-deserved congrats to Auckland. Could we possibly have a google-map overview?

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

It would be smart for Emirates to sponsor Team China. China is the biggest market with the most internet access to the AC web broadcasts.

Most of China can't watch streaming video online for various reasons, chief of them being nearly universally slow web speeds.

#60 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

Emirates and TNZ need to do better with the marketing side

no they don't, they just have to win sailboat races, meanwhile ignoring advice from forum-ites

they need not be attention whores like underfunded supermaxi skippers in aus

#61 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Anyone have any better pics of the new graphics on the building? Would make a good front page shot methinks.

#62 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

"EaglesPDX: Certainly shows the clear separation of Team New Zealand (Blake's national effort) vs. Daltons commercial follow on with Emirates. "

Hmm yea cant really say that it made that point so clear to me with the signage etc at all, it all respected each other and worked and flowed.

"Stingray: ^ Very cool, and thanx for the pics too."

A pleasure, I hope ETNZ (as I have suggested to them cc MR.CLEAN) that they need to show off the base some more online, maybe get Chris Cameron or someone in to take some base shots for their to be new and improved Facebook page and website in the making.

Another note too is the trams that go around the new Wynyard Quarter...One of the drop off/pick up points is right outside the entrance to the base...they should (once they get the stock) open up the new ETNZ shop there, heaps of foot traffic and stuff just waiting there. Gold mine.

#63 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

It would be smart for Emirates to sponsor Team China. China is the biggest market with the most internet access to the AC web broadcasts.

Most of China can't watch streaming video online for various reasons, chief of them being nearly universally slow web speeds.

But 100M in the cities with the better infrastructure can watch, HK is about 1,000 kbps for example. Very much a case of internet "islands" in China. Plus infrastructure build up in China is a moving target, a very fast moving target.

The bigger issue is the Google/YouTube censorship issue since that affects the 100M who could view it IF it was wasn't censored...as in New Zealand.

Again, by 2013, if China is in it and AC34 is smarter than Xifinity and kept the broadcast to the web, who knows.

#64 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

Well it is evidence that Dalton put up a sign to advertise his current employer.

Certainly shows the clear separation of Team New Zealand (Blake's national effort) vs. Daltons commercial follow on with Emirates.

With all of your trumpeting of the YouTubing of the America's Cup, could you please explain why you have to constantly diminish Grant Dalton?

#65 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

And the fact youtube is banned.

As is Facebook.

Which might contain naughty words like Falun Gong, Tiananmen, June 4 and Tibet.

#66 GO IRISH!

GO IRISH!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

As a Anarchist that lives next door to this at Lighter Quay, I would say this new look has something to do with the Rugby World Cup. They have been in this building for over a year... What a great way to give your sponsors free billboards during the waterfronts biggest event ever..... The building that housed the AC 45's is now the Puma Social Club (with a Burger Fuel out back) with a VOR sales center for Puma gear.
This whole new area is going to kill the Viaduct, will Auckland be able to support all of the new bars and cafes when RWC is over? NO! The Viaduct is a great place, the new North Warf is only going to take business away from the Viaduct....... The North Warf should have been built like the cloud, gone after RWC....

#67 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:53 PM

With all of your trumpeting of the YouTubing of the America's Cup, could you please explain why you have to constantly diminish Grant Dalton?

Because Dalton has been admittedly "tossing grenades" at the AC34 event from the get go.

Had Dalton been in charge, none of this amazing adventure would be happening, no multihulls, no AC45's fun series that everyone is loving, no AC72's, no video graphics, no electronic umpiring, no spectator accessible racing. We'd be plodding around in past century monohulls of no interest to anyone but some rheumy yacht club bar flys.

Dalton has opening criticized it all.

#68 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:42 AM

The NEW Emirates Team New Zealand social media plan is in action.

See the first episode/blog as they call it from Grant Dalton here.

I hope they get a tab more professional with edits etc but here it is:

#69 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:50 AM

http://youtu.be/X1oSGLtes-o

Eek! He really is just going through the motions as it seems clear he has no idea what he's talking about in "gowin Social". The fact that he was dragged kicking and screaming to open a Facebook page for Emirates by AC34 website requirements. In fact, the video looks like someone who's been forced to it (as he has been by AC34 rules). Upside is he will start using the AC34 Facebook pages for each challenger.

#70 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:33 AM

no they don't, they just have to win sailboat races, meanwhile ignoring advice from forum-ites

Finally, someone gets it.

#71 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:56 AM

Again someone misses the point, one that Dalton makes repeatedly, it takes money to race and first thing is the marketing to raise the money or no racing. Emirates getting religion about the website being one example, Emirates plastering their new website with the exciting AC45 races being another example.

#72 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

Eek! He really is just going through the motions as it seems clear he has no idea what he's talking about in "gowin Social". The fact that he was dragged kicking and screaming to open a Facebook page for Emirates by AC34 website requirements. In fact, the video looks like someone who's been forced to it (as he has been by AC34 rules). Upside is he will start using the AC34 Facebook pages for each challenger.

Must admit he does not seem overly enthusiastic about it but hes old school. The younger members of the team should own it. The boys at RD2 are pretty good.

#73 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

Reminds me so much of Graham Henry, they need his guidence bit not necessarily his public face

Must admit he does not seem overly enthusiastic about it but hes old school. The younger members of the team should own it. The boys at RD2 are pretty good.

#74 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

Pretty funny to see ETNZ's new website make the official AC site look like a turd. Smart of GD to hire one of the world's best social web designers to build it.

http://www.etnzblog.com

#75 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

You speak The Truth, TheTruth.

Hes the figure head, I think everyone gets it and he does not need to push that side of things any more, they should focus I hope more on the team members and the back of house team, It will be interesting to see how they shape themselves compared to Oracle Racing style vids

Reminds me so much of Graham Henry, they need his guidence bit not necessarily his public face

#76 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Pretty funny to see ETNZ's new website make the official AC site look like a turd. Smart of GD to hire one of the world's best social web designers to build it.

Its a great site, easy to navigate, not slow at all. Good to be a hub that holds all the keys to all their campaigns.

#77 segar

segar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Organising cruising trips (sail or motor ) up the Spanish coasts and Morocco. Not for profit. Friends share the cost of the trip.

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

Maybe Oracle can teach them how to market and to win by stealth and in the courts as they did to Alinghy

#78 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Maybe Oracle can teach them how to market and to win by stealth and in the courts as they did to Alinghy

Fuck off retard.

#79 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Its a great site, easy to navigate, not slow at all. Good to be a hub that holds all the keys to all their campaigns.

This is GOLD!!! Is this what Dalts had planned all along?
If so it definitely shows Larry and the crew that 'yes we can do better than you'.

Are sure Dalts didn't call on Seagulls to design the website?
Is Seagulls really TNZ sleeper???

#80 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

Again someone misses the point, one that Dalton makes repeatedly, it takes money to race and first thing is the marketing to raise the money or no racing. Emirates getting religion about the website being one example, Emirates plastering their new website with the exciting AC45 races being another example.

you just made my point dumbo

TNZ gets the money, and Emirates are good enough at marketing their core business

TNZ primary objective is to win the sailboat race

#81 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

GS you have it all wrong, the objective for this entire event is to make it popular of Facebook and YouTube, whilst appealing to the NASCAR mindset of fans. Actually I'm sure there will be an extra points scoring opportunity at the coming ACWS events for teams to be ranked by how many likes there facebook page gets.

/sarcasm

#82 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

From an old guy can we make this simple. We have the sponsors and we have a brand. That is unusual but what is more unusual is that we have the product. In this case not wine, not food but pure unadularated speed in yachts.........fuck off

you just made my point dumbo

TNZ gets the money, and Emirates are good enough at marketing their core business

TNZ primary objective is to win the sailboat race

#83 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Funnier still that Emirates new site looks just like AC34 website featuring exciting AC45 in action...imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. That it features the boats and races and places that Dalton has been tossing grenades at is more than a bit ironic.

That Emirates is now 100% fast, exciting catamaran sailing per the website bodes well for America's Cup should Emirates win, hard for Emirates to go back to the slow boats.

Certainly give Emirates credit for getting with the program of fast exciting multihull racing, websites and facebook pages. Better late than never.

#84 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Slight hijack: What's your connection to this Dallas based company, Mr. Clean? I"m not used to such touting unless there's some $ involved. Is SA courting them for some reason?

As for ENTZ - love the look of the base and love the photos of the history across the side of the building. Moreover, the history of the team on the blog is great - no words seemed to be minced there and it doesn't have the usual PR speak on it - seems very much straight talking. Nice work.

#85 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Slight hijack: What's your connection to this Dallas based company, Mr. Clean? I"m not used to such touting unless there's some $ involved. Is SA courting them for some reason?

Hell no, Dix - and I would hope you know me better than that. However as the husband of a site and graphic designer, I can appreciate great work and the art behind it, and I say so! Also, I spent a few hours browsing RD2's sites a few months back when Dalts told me about them. They are damned impressive - some of the Southwest Air social campaigns are just fucking brilliant.

To a critic of the weirdly stale and weak work that ACAlpha are doing on their website and social presence, the ETNZ "blog" really stands out.

#86 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

The official AC page still looks a hundred times better then the SA frontpage though, with its 1994 design...
Maybe you could hire those Dallas guys as well?

#87 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

The official AC page still looks a hundred times better then the SA frontpage though, with its 1994 design...
Maybe you could hire those Dallas guys as well?

Sure - you pay the retainer and we'll be ready to roll.

#88 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

Hell no, Dix - and I would hope you know me better than that. However as the husband of a site and graphic designer, I can appreciate great work and the art behind it, and I say so! Also, I spent a few hours browsing RD2's sites a few months back when Dalts told me about them. They are damned impressive - some of the Southwest Air social campaigns are just fucking brilliant.

To a critic of the weirdly stale and weak work that ACAlpha are doing on their website and social presence, the ETNZ "blog" really stands out.

funny that you say "blog" in quotes. I was thinking the same thing.

as for knowing you better - you're smart with how you position your ideas and opinions. thought you had a notion of a relationship with them (perhaps as Tony better alluded to, above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users