32 replies to this topic

#1 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

Preparations for the 2012 Vic-Maui race are well underway.

"The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club and the Lahaina Yacht Club are pleased to announce the 2012 Vic-Maui International Yacht Race. The 2012 Vic-Maui race, the twenty-third edition of this ocean racing classic, will start from Victoria, British Columbia. The race will finish near Lahaina, Maui, a great circle route distance of 2308 nautical miles. Vic-Maui, first contested in 1968 and run every second year since, challenges sailors and navigators to demonstrate their skills by beating out of the Juan De Fuca Strait, reaching around the Pacific High Pressure zone and running the trades to Hawaii. The 2010 Vic-Maui enjoyed excellent wind conditions, with line honors captured by a thirty-five foot high performance boat which finished in just eleven days and fifteen hours, and the overall win earned by a forty-eight foot performance cruiser which finished in twelve days and twelve hours. Vic-Maui records are waiting to be broken in 2012!"

Added for 2012 are a doublehanded class and a cruising division.

The race website is
http://www.vicmaui.org and the race documents are available at http://www.vicmaui.o...ocuments</span>.

#2 Bhamarchist

Bhamarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:16 AM

It's great that they've added a double handed category, BUT...

per the NOR, Appendix A, boats must have an ORC stability index of 115 to enter, which means that a huge number of the actively raced boats in the PNW can't qualify. Particularly people (like me) who want to run a (relatively) budget double handed program in a small boat. Previously discussed relative to transpac here.

You can also apparently qualify by showing that your boats complies with ISO 12217-2, Small craft stability and buoyancy standards. Anybody have a clue what that standard is? The ISO website wanted to charge me 50 Francs just to download the documentPosted Image

#3 Green Card

Green Card

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

What is your stability number, and what races are you doing in Puget Sound?

In Puget Sound, you need a stability number of at least 120 for Cat 1, 110 for Cat 2, and 105 for Cat 3 of PIYA which most clubs are using.

#4 Bhamarchist

Bhamarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

What is your stability number, and what races are you doing in Puget Sound?

In Puget Sound, you need a stability number of at least 120 for Cat 1, 110 for Cat 2, and 105 for Cat 3 of PIYA which most clubs are using.

Good question, I'm not actually sure, to be honest. I'm interested in running a santa cruz 27. I've yet to find a calculation for the boat (not listed on the ORR scratch sheet nor in any of the SC27 forums I've found), but my understanding from reviewing previous posts on the subject is that it wouldn't qualify...along with Moore 24s, Olson 30s, Express 27s and other designs which have been very successful in races like Pacific Cup.

Also curious to note these minimum numbers. But as I read the PIYA regs those are for the "limit of positive stability", which is different than the ORR stability index.

#5 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

per the NOR, Appendix A, boats must have an ORC stability index of 115 to enter, which means that a huge number of the actively raced boats in the PNW can't qualify. Particularly people (like me) who want to run a (relatively) budget double handed program in a small boat. Previously discussed relative to transpac here.

You can also apparently qualify by showing that your boats complies with ISO 12217-2, Small craft stability and buoyancy standards. Anybody have a clue what that standard is? The ISO website wanted to charge me 50 Francs just to download the documentPosted Image

If you're interested in V-M DH, I'd suggest sending an email with the boat info to the technical committee chair. His name and email address are on the V-M website at http://www.vicmaui.org/contact. The stability question should get answered pretty quickly.

#6 Fiasco 1

Fiasco 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Racing my Ross 930 (Interim)

Anarchy is not about a lack of rules.

Its about decreasing the rulers.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

Olson 30 POS Stability 112.8, Stability index 106.1 I also would like to run this race 2014 but we have set our sites on Pac Cup as that meets their regs.

#7 Bhamarchist

Bhamarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

If you're interested in V-M DH, I'd suggest sending an email with the boat info to the technical committee chair. His name and email address are on the V-M website at http://www.vicmaui.org/contact. The stability question should get answered pretty quickly.

Have communicated with them and waiting to hear back.

#8 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

There's an updated fleet section posted on the website at http://www.vicmaui.org/teams

Entry deadline is February 2, 2012.

#9 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Vic-Maui entries are up 50% for 2012.

The Vic-Maui entry deadline was yesterday, and 14 boats have filed entry papers and fees.

The fleet was 9 boats in each of 2008 and 2010; the 2012 fleet stands at 14 boats. We're pleased to see the fleet size bouncing back up towards previous levels, which for the 5 races from 1998 thru 2006 was an average of 19 boats.

The 2012 fleet is profiled at www.vicmaui.org/teams

The 2012 fleet composition is 9 Canadian and 5 American; 11 in the racing division and 3 in the cruising division.

#10 JayP

JayP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Vic-Maui entries are up 50% for 2012.

The Vic-Maui entry deadline was yesterday, and 14 boats have filed entry papers and fees.

The fleet was 9 boats in each of 2008 and 2010; the 2012 fleet stands at 14 boats. We're pleased to see the fleet size bouncing back up towards previous levels, which for the 5 races from 1998 thru 2006 was an average of 19 boats.

The 2012 fleet is profiled at www.vicmaui.org/teams

The 2012 fleet composition is 9 Canadian and 5 American; 11 in the racing division and 3 in the cruising division.

Cirdan,
a couple of dumb questions, what would be relatively normal amount of time for the return delivery on a moderately quick 50 footer --- just looking for a ballpark.
And the starts, I'm guessing the faster boats in the fleet will of course be the ones rolling out out closer to the 12th, right?
thanks much

#11 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Delivery guesstimate, Lahaina to Victoria, August, modern quick 50 footer, ample diesel, 14-18 days

Cruising division start has been set for Jul 5, racing division classes start Jul 7.

Race web site is www.vicmaui.org.

#12 Jack Dale

Jack Dale

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Delivery guesstimate, Lahaina to Victoria, August, modern quick 50 footer, ample diesel, 14-18 days

Cruising division start has been set for Jul 5, racing division classes start Jul 7.

Race web site is www.vicmaui.org.

Those are good guesstimates.

I have come back twice:

2000 - Elite 37 - 21 days (after a fishing net took out our transmission in the middle of the high)
2010 - C&C 44 - 19 days

#13 Green Card

Green Card

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Why is Vic-Maui requiring the two day ISAF certificate whereas Pacific Cup and Transpac only want the one day Safety at Sea seminar? Is this something Pac Cup and Transpac are going to switch to?

#14 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Why is Vic-Maui requiring the two day ISAF certificate whereas Pacific Cup and Transpac only want the one day Safety at Sea seminar? Is this something Pac Cup and Transpac are going to switch to?

I understand Vic-Maui requires the two day ISAF approved course in order to ensure that the topics required in OSR 6.02 and 6.03 are covered in an approved course. Approved courses are available in Canada, the US and several other countries.

Don't know about the second half of the question(s).

#15 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Interests:Herding cats

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I understand Vic-Maui requires the two day ISAF approved course in order to ensure that the topics required in OSR 6.02 and 6.03 are covered in an approved course. Approved courses are available in Canada, the US and several other countries.

Don't know about the second half of the question(s).

Since we are on the topic of race requirements, any suggestions on a way to satisfy the radar reflector rule on a boat that doesn't have a permanent backstay?

#16 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Put it on the shrouds above a spreader using the cylindrial reflector.

#17 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Interests:Herding cats

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

Put it on the shrouds above a spreader using the cylindrial reflector.

The mobri ones aren't legal if the RC is enforcing their NOR

#18 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Since we are on the topic of race requirements, any suggestions on a way to satisfy the radar reflector rule on a boat that doesn't have a permanent backstay?

One solution is to hang it under a lower spreader, from a signal halyard. Needs to be at least 4m or 13 feet above the waterline. Lead the halyard return line through an offset so that it doesn't chafe on the reflector.

Attached Files

#19 Jack Dale

Jack Dale

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

One solution is to hang it under a lower spreader, from a signal halyard. Needs to be at least 4m or 13 feet above the waterline. Lead the halyard return line through an offset so that it doesn't chafe on the reflector.

Notice it is in the catch rain position. That is essential.

#20 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

Bunch of updates posted on the Vic-Maui race website:

• Fleet update (14 boats, up 50% from 2008 & 2010)
  • Safety consultations FAQ
  • New race tracker - Yellowbrick
  • SSB radio checks (done)
  • Preliminary divisions, classes and handicaps announced
  • Dates in Victoria and Lahaina
  • Shipping to/from Maui
  • Notices to Competitors
  • Arrival and Moorage in Lahaina
  • Sailing Instructions issued
  • Tidal current charts for the race starts in the Strait of Juan de Fuca
Starts are on July 5 and July 7.

#21 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

So the cruising division has started, but only Ballymack and Radiance are shown on the tracker (and as far as I can tell, the start photos only show two boats). What happened to Double Deuce and Big Ben? The two on the tracker are currently (as of two hours ago) creeping out the Strait.

#22 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

So the cruising division has started, but only Ballymack and Radiance are shown on the tracker (and as far as I can tell, the start photos only show two boats). What happened to Double Deuce and Big Ben? The two on the tracker are currently (as of two hours ago) creeping out the Strait.

The cruising division start was this morning. Two boats started, two are sorting issues out and plan to start overnight. Tidal currents are a big factor in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and may be an opportunity for the late starters to regain some ground.

The racing division start is Saturday morning.

The Yellowbrick race tracker looks like a big step forward ...

#23 The Dude

The Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Looks like Incantation didn't make the start? Anyone know what happened?

#24 Capri25

Capri25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Would be nice to have news items posted right away, like who didn't start and why. They did a great job for the Oregon Off-shore.

#25 Green Card

Green Card

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Looks like Incantation didn't make the start? Anyone know what happened?

From what I understand, the rig only went in the boat a couple of days before their start. They were rigging and splicing most of Friday, and it looked like still loading provisions on Saturday morning.

#26 Capri25

Capri25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

You can get up to the minute positions on Kinetic and Incantation--They are both carrying AIS.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

#27 Capri25

Capri25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

What's going on with Big Ben now? Track shows heading 059 this morning.

#28 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

The Riptide 35 "Terremoto" is making great speed (currently in 2nd place in line honors/overall/its division). Hell of a 35 foot boat. I'd never heard of them, so googled it and found out that two have been built; they're built to compete with 50 footers.

Very interesting...I want one! I'm tempted to email the builder/designer and ask how much would be, but I'm afraid I might be shocked at the cost :o

http://www.biekerboa...Riptide_35.html

#29 rawthul

rawthul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

The Riptide 35 "Terremoto" is making great speed (currently in 2nd place in line honors/overall/its division). Hell of a 35 foot boat. I'd never heard of them, so googled it and found out that two have been built; they're built to compete with 50 footers.

Very interesting...I want one! I'm tempted to email the builder/designer and ask how much would be, but I'm afraid I might be shocked at the cost :o

http://www.biekerboa...Riptide_35.html

2010 Vic Maui line honors for team moto, previous owners put a small documentary together, see the following thread and link to the video:

http://forums.sailin...dpost&p=3142727

And now how much do you want a riptide 35?

#30 The Dude

The Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

http://www.biekerboats.com/Bieker_Boats/Riptide_35.html

You need to check out the new Riptide 35 MKII, almost complete.

#31 The Dude

The Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Terremoto; just did a hard right hand turn & stopped? What happened?.....

#32 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Double Take is the Big Winner of Vic-Maui 2012
July 28th, 2012

Posted Image

Ably hosted by Dan O'Hanlon, the Event Chair for Lahaina Yacht Club, the Vic-Maui 2012 Awards Banquest was held Saturday evening at on the Jodo Mission grounds in Lahaina.

The big winner of Vic-Maui 2012 is Double Take. Tom Huseby's Seattle Yacht Club boat captured the big prizes of First Overall on corrected time and First to Finish on elapsed time. She also captured the Lahaina Yacht Club Past Commodore's Trophy for First in Class on corrected time, the Governor John Burns Trophy for First in Class on elapsed time. Other Double Take trophies went to winning navigator Brad Baker for his efforts on First To Finish corrected and First to Finish elapsed (which Brad has won numerous times); and showing that she outpaced the field from Start to Finish, Double Take also took home the Sea Q Trophy for Boat with the Best Start.

Kinetic, David Sutcliffe's Beneteau First 47.7 out of Royal Vancouver Yacht Club took home the Aloha Trophy for Second Overall (corrected), the Special Sloops Trophy First in Class B (corrected), City of Victoria Trophy for First in Class B (elapsed), First Canadian Boat to finish and First to Finish (corrected) sailing for RVYC.

Mark Ward's Radiance, sailing out of the William Seward Yacht Club from Anchorage, AK, won the new Beneteau Trophy for First to Finish (corrected) and the Joe Glass Memorial Trophy for First to Finish (elapsed) in Cruising Division.

Other winners were Bill Weinstein/Mark Brink's Terremoto for Second to Finish (elapsed), Third Overall (corrected) and Second in Class 1 (elapsed and overall), Gunnar Jonnson's Turicum for Second in Class 2 (corrected), David Ratner's Incantation for Third in Class 1 (corrected), John Gugins' Red Heather for Third in Class 2 (corrected), and Mike Cormack's Ballymack for Second in Cruising Division (corrected).

For photos, Check the Photo Gallery

#33 Cirdan

Cirdan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Vic-Maui 2012 final results:
The results don't cut and paste well, so here's the link.
http://www.vicmaui.o...l%20Results.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users