#1 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

That's what ZG says .. and two events!

Think of it, mayor Giorgio Orsoni (expert sailor, goes back to Il Moro) had been tweeted in Cascais

BTW, I'm resting easy: no way he'd be duped into paying significant venue money :)

#2 Alpina

Alpina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

http://www.americasc...held-in-Venice/

Venezia Challenge better get their act together...

#3 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Venezia Challenge better get their act together...

Not a chance: Orsoni (wanted to C&D them) would have them tarred and feathered

#4 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Another good thing: with one more date set, poor Mark Turner may start stitching together the ESS calendar without fear of intentional juxtapositions.

#5 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

And FV gets back from the summer recess for the occasion: do take a look at the picture, it's mouth watering. But:

We recall that Venice has already hosted a stage of the Extreme 40 Sailing Series, which among other things, collected a good success with the public (which, actually, in Cascais, was not the case despite the promotional efforts of the organizers) . It was not disclosed the amount to be paid from Venice to host the event, although it should probably settle on what has already been paid by Plymouth (200,000 pounds) and not as originally requested by ACEA (5 million).

#6 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Didn't Venetians mostly go in for rowing not sailing?

Posted Image

Venice in May. Average windspeed 7mph according to http://www.myforecas...49&metric=false

#7 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

^^ Well yes, that time of the year you can expect 5-7kts, NE/SE. It's the old problem of coastal sailing in/on :D the Med.

#8 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Lucky then that, like the galley masters, they have slaves to row.

Posted Image

Author: Gilles Martin-Raget
Restriction: For Editorial only - All other rights reserved - Photographer's credit mandatory.

#9 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

^^ Knowing their ultimate fate is to be entombed with Larry, I'm sure they won't mind the excercise :D

#10 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

iShares Cup (X40) 2009:

Posted Image
© Thierry Martinez/Sea&Co/OC Event

Posted Image
© Mark Lloyd/Oman Sail

If only the AC45 were able to race as close to shore as the X40s. I hope they get that figured out by then.

#11 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

Same venue dates as what Naples was competing for, apparently they were right to be worried that Venice would beat them.

Where on the waterfront were the ESS bases set up, right in front of Piazza San Marco / the Doges palazzo? And did they sail into the Grand Canal itself?

#12 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Might have to visit my father in law next may, a native Venetian, lives on the Lido. Incredible city Venice, lots of light air though.

#13 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

Where on the waterfront were the ESS bases set up, right in front of Piazza San Marco / the Doges palazzo? And did they sail into the Grand Canal itself?

Forget Piazza San Marco or sailing into the Canal Grande - and the ESS, their onshore logistics are negligible. But it's an interesting question, the release states bases will be set up in the Arsenale/Darsena directly behind the race waterfront. But it's a rather long detour around the tip of the island, and mainly even there available space is minimal.

#14 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

Forget Piazza San Marco or sailing into the Canal Grande - and the ESS, their onshore logistics are negligible. But it's an interesting question, the release states bases will be set up in the Arsenale/Darsena directly behind the race waterfront. But it's a rather long detour around the tip of the island, and mainly even there available space is minimal.

This photo at ac.com suggests it too but I still don't see enough room along the inside of the Darsena.

Posted Image

#15 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

Here's a 2009-era iShares video that helps sets the 'scene.' JS/JK took 2nd in the light-airs series iirc, and Gitana 1st.

Feeding the troll SR? Nice video though

#16 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Feeding the troll SR? Nice video though

You mean over which thread to post Venice goodies into?

He's right that we have a mini 'tradition' here with 'Countdown to (next venue)' threads, I guess the first one was catchy for the alliteration ('Countdown to Cascais') and echoes the 'official' article/propaganda/vernacular subject. But since you WILL be our man on the spot (and damn, I hope to make this one too) then... Okay, let's do it your way :)

#17 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

More pictures from iShares Cup 2009:

http://picasaweb.goo...at=embedwebsite

Apparently they were situated in the Arsenale. This is from an old press release:

<<A bit of history... the "Arsenale"

Today fully restored and back to its former glory, the Venice Arsenal was created at the beginning of the 12th Century and, as a shipyard, played a crucial role in the development of the Venetian empire. Its total surface was quadrupled after Marco Polo's return in 1295, and at its busiest period more than 16 000 people were employed by this little city within the city. Most historians agree on the fact that the domination of Venetian merchants owed a lot to the technical superiority of the ships built by the "Arsenale", that today is open to the public and offers a fantastic opportunity to revisit the city's past.>>

Adonnante TV has all the old videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.c...ser/AdonnanteTv, just look in the "eXtreme 40 - iShares Cup" section

#18 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

the 'official' article/propaganda/vernacular

#19 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

.. we have a mini 'tradition' here with 'Countdown to (next venue)' threads

Sure, but that is still a long way off, this is just about the venue announcement :)

the 'official' article/propaganda/vernacular

Right :D - makes you long for the old Politburo days: they knew how to inject excitement (of course, having a few thousand MIRVed H-bombs also helped)

Edit: forgot to mention Mayor Orsoni is actually President of Compagnia della Vela, Il Moro's yacht club

#20 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Edit: forgot to mention Mayor Orsoni is actually President of Compagnia della Vela, Il Moro's yacht club

Thanks, was not sure about that part.

belongs better here:
--

There are a lot of news articles from Naples today about all this. Lots of blame being tossed around over who's fault it is that Naples lost to Venice, and even some hope expressed that that they may yet land a third Italian event.

The Venice articles point to the event being privately sponsored; and it setting up in the Arsenal district - which includes the Darsena - but I still can't tell exactly where the intended dock space is.

edit: here's one video newsclip (in Italian)
and here's a short video from inside the Darsena, dated August 10.

#21 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

Fun rumor here, i wonder if they spoke to anyone who lead them to it?
--
http://translate.google.com/translate?rurl=translate.google.com&sl=it&u=http://www.gazzetta.it/Vela/04-09-2011/a-venezia-america-s-cup-world-series-802742340543.shtml

Appointment of next year should be involved in 9 teams, including possibly Patrizio Bertelli's Luna Rossa and maybe even Venice Challenge, excluded from competition for lack of funds, you could say now back on track (but is successful?).

#22 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

Venice is definitely worth a visit, I've been there May 2010, and couldn't detect any wind, BTW. You can't believe how curious I am of where on all the waterways there the AC34s are going to race,

#23 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

Love that city too, and especially the Dorsaduro district.

The X40's raced (and even moored) right off Piazza San Marco, I expect the AC45s will too. It's a quick sail or traghetti ride up to the Arsenal from there.

#24 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

Venice ? great, beautiful city, incredible past, the Doge would be happy to see those cats racing within the city.
Very tempted to go.

However, 4 venues and still not one in the competitor's countries.

Are the organizers clueless or desperate to find a place ? I cannot see any logic to avoid competitors places.

France has 2 teams, Brest would have been a fantastic place with airport, infrastructure, natural circus (for Eagles), media focussed on sailing.

#25 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

Venice ? great, beautiful city, incredible past, the Doge would be happy to see those cats racing within the city.
Very tempted to go.

Are the organizers clueless or desperate to find a place ? I cannot see any logic to avoid competitors places.

France has 2 teams, Brest would have been a fantastic place with airport, infrastructure, natural circus (for Eagles), media focussed on sailing.

Personally I would say the tourist interest and history of a city and whether or not a competitor is based in the same country are very much secondary factors to the making of a successful event. Although admittedly 'sucessful' has many definitions in the AC34 context.

A knowledgeable and enthusiastic sailing community and media would be right up there, along with a general public with an interest in sailing and sport in general.

The Euro model though - on which some of the effort seems to be predicated is slightly different and pays more attention to VIPs, Bigwigs in general, sponsors and their demands, 'Functions', and all the other stuff hung around the sides of the actual sport - that can work too, but can also fail spectacularly.

#26 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

it's a Bernie Ecclestone kind of thing, remember, that's what this all new AC-F1 dream is all about, if there would be a remote chance that a competitor from Outer-Bouzoukistan could emerge, you could bank on the whole AC circus to set up its tents on the shore of Outer-Bouzoukistan's seas...wherever that may be, probably on planet Vogon :rolleyes:

remarkable though that the general reaction about Venice is more related to tourism than anything else, that too the core business of the America Cup ?

#27 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,513 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

tourists spend real money

sailors buy sails

so the tourists get to watch from hotels, restaurants and gondolas

sailors can watch on their laptops, in between bickering about spinnakers

#28 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

tourists spend real money
sailors buy sails
so the tourists get to watch from hotels, restaurants and gondolas
sailors can watch on their laptops, in between bickering about spinnakers

makes me wonder why none of the bright bulbs has come up with the idea of starting ACTA : AC Travel Agency (the special offer at this moment for Venezia is including a Bunga Bunga party, and if ever the circus hits upon Sanfran then negotiations are ongoing to organise a Vogon poetry recital)

can't wait to see what happens if hundreds of gondolas turn up to watch an AC series, that in itself could be a spectacle, but me thinks they'll keep 'em at a distance, or simply tell 'em it's a no go area.

#29 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

Very tempted to go.

Personally I would say the tourist interest and history of a city and whether or not a competitor is based in the same country are very much secondary factors to the making of a successful event. Although admittedly 'sucessful' has many definitions in the AC34 context.

A knowledgeable and enthusiastic sailing community and media would be right up there, along with a general public with an interest in sailing and sport in general.

The Euro model though - on which some of the effort seems to be predicated is slightly different and pays more attention to VIPs, Bigwigs in general, sponsors and their demands, 'Functions', and all the other stuff hung around the sides of the actual sport - that can work too, but can also fail spectacularly.

Oh, I am sure Venice will be a success, maybe more that Cascais and Plymouth. Venice has a lot to offer, tourism, history, Adriatic, Bigwigs. Also jus wait for the pictures of AC45 launched at 30 knots on one hull 100m in front of Renaissance palaces.
For sure Venice will do a lot. However it would be wise to sen the event in a city like Brest with an educated public, the highest history of sailing, TV, newspapers oriented on sailing.

Also why not choosing a competitor's place ? Albatros mentions the model of B. Ecclestone, but I don't know it and don't see the logic.

#30 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Also why not choosing a competitor's place ? Albatros mentions the model of B. Ecclestone, but I don't know it and don't see the logic.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm totally in agreement on the idea that they should go to places like Brest now, maintenant, heute, pronto, onmiddellijk ... but I'm just thinking about the fact that Bernie E. , in order to expand his F1 imperium deliberately dropped a couple of the old -mostly european- venues in favour of more exotic locations where he thought he could possibly drill new $$$ wells ... Turkey, Gulf, Malaysia, China ... some worked, some not.

#31 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

Brest does sound like a good location.

For a lot of good reasons I am not (well, not yet..) blowing $25k annually on a boat. And so I do have a little bit to spend on leisure travel, and do need want to use the vacation weeks in fun ways. It's nice to have a 'hook' to go someplace new. After seeing the 'treatment' that Cascais got, and I suppose Plymouth is about to get, well I already regret not being there just 'for the hell of it.'

Now that I have offered Stingette a trip to Venice in May, well if we change our minds then watching ~that~ city get 'treated' on TV/whatever, will just be very regretful to watch from a distance. Letting GMR loose in Venice is an awesome prospect but being there? Even awesomer :)

#32 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Alby, yes an ACTA could be a great idea!

#33 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Very tempted to go.

Oh, I am sure Venice will be a success, maybe more that Cascais and Plymouth. Venice has a lot to offer, tourism, history, Adriatic, Bigwigs. Also jus wait for the pictures of AC45 launched at 30 knots on one hull 100m in front of Renaissance palaces.
For sure Venice will do a lot. However it would be wise to sen the event in a city like Brest with an educated public, the highest history of sailing, TV, newspapers oriented on sailing.

Go to the events page of AC.com. There are four venues listed for the present series, 2 of them (50%) are from competitor's countries.
Get over it already!

#34 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

A fair amount of detail in this g-tran, bold mine

The logistics base will be the Arsenale, the former naval depot built in 1100, the ten catamarans will cross between the Hotel de Bains and inlets of Lido, 30 races scheduled at a rate of three per day, 50 thousand spectators expected and a cost of 5 million that the administration intends to cover without tapping a penny from the coffers of the municipality.

And from here, bold mine

The competition will be the usual Venetian goblets, three miles beyond the mouths of the port of San Nicolo, Lido of Venice, where the ten teams will compete for Ac45 (lightweight catamarans, about 1400 pounds, can reach speeds of 50 km / h) that will compete in thirty exciting races. The village welcome and the sports village itself will focus respectively on Riva degli Schiavoni and within the Arsenale, the great and magical structure that produced the ships of the Serenissima and gather in about 4 000 square meters and all the technical services organization. A place uniquely suited because of its architecture and especially thanks to its stretch of water that characterizes it. About 150 containers have come to realize that the village will have to use same space as the Biennale uses today. They expect about 50 000 between visitors and enthusiasts are expected and already overbooked for the reservation of the maxi yachts.

#35 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

Only 50,000 spectators? :D Shows you those guys are serious. And don't mind the first piece: it's from Naples, they're jealous.

#36 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

Only 50,000 spectators? :D Shows you those guys are serious. And don't mind the first piece: it's from Naples, they're jealous.

50K additional visitors? Oops, better book now, because Venice is cramped in May already, even without the ACWS in town.

#37 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

Good advice, a quick look did show some hotel rooms available but, in the Arsenale, not many affordable ones left. This before any ACWS ops and teams have probably weighed in, unless that part is prearranged with Venice.

Where the Biennale is hosted is interesting. It's even possible the bases will not be in tents but in those 14th century shipbuilding buildings fronting the Darsena.

#38 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

I tend to think that the ACWS ist not targeting to bring additional people to the venues, but to show the product to the people who are already around. Made sense for Cascais and will make sense even more for Venice. Dunno about Plymouth, tho.

Last year I was visiting the Biennale site, which had a flair of neglected grandezza. Very charming. And at least some green after spending the previous days on the treeless main island.

#39 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

I tend to think that the ACWS ist not targeting to bring additional people to the venues, but to show the product to the people who are already around. Made sense for Cascais and will make sense even more for Venice. Dunno about Plymouth, tho.

That's fine for ACEA et al but in what way does it make sense for venues to contribute to the event cost if it is not bringing in extra visitors? As I understand it you believe Cascais to have been a municipal vanity project, Venice seems to be claiming mysterious private sponsors, but surely most venues are going to want some kind of business case based on extra projected footfall? Plymouth is absolutely hoping for extra visitors, the economic case made for SF certainly did and it would surprise me if SD and Newport do not also rely on projected visitors to justify the expenditure.

#40 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:32 AM

Like Renn said, overwhelmingly local visitors even in Venice. 50 000 visitors is probably a low number for daily visits to San Marco, an easy walk to the waterfront.

The prestige a venue gains from the coverage is an intangible left for the contributors to decide the value of. If Venice sponsors are paying the reported E5M, or the £100 000 that the Plymouth City council's share is, says almost nothing about anything since both parties are happy with the overall arrangement or they would not have both agreed it.

Venice is a great choice, I hope it suggests the coming trajectory.

#41 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:44 AM

If Venice sponsors are paying the reported E5M

Does that figure come from any recent reports or are you speculating?

AFAIK Plymouth council has not disclosed what it paid. Stuart Alexander mooted £200K some time ago.

Clearly whatever the figures were, somebody in the city (or a private sponsor) has decided it is worthwhile. My point is: unless there are additional visitors, how can a public body justify such a decision. "Prestige" is a very thin argument, particularly when most cities in the world are having to cut budgets.

#42 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:19 AM

Last year I was visiting the Biennale site, which had a flair of neglected grandezza. Very charming. And at least some green after spending the previous days on the treeless main island.

This makes sense. At this early stage the ACWS has not gained momentum to generate a huge increase in traffic to a venue, but adds a few SAAC'ers and journo's. Not a bad move to try and go where the people are, so that interest may be generated.

#43 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:02 AM

If Venice sponsors are paying the reported E5M

Does that figure come from any recent reports or are you speculating?

AFAIK Plymouth council has not disclosed what it paid. Stuart Alexander mooted £200K some time ago.

Clearly whatever the figures were, somebody in the city (or a private sponsor) has decided it is worthwhile. My point is: unless there are additional visitors, how can a public body justify such a decision. "Prestige" is a very thin argument, particularly when most cities in the world are having to cut budgets.

The E5M Venice figure is in a link above, and in several other Italian articles too. But since it is said to be all private and business sponsored then I doubt we will ever know who contributed what parts of it.

The €100 000 figure is in the Plymouth Herald and reprinted by the BBC under a tiltle that says something like 'mayor defends price.' She said that if sponsorship fell short then the city's obligation is only up to that much. The Herald also has a lengthy list of in kind contributors, and mentions the advertising spaces being made available. So again, almost nothing of it is taxpayer funded.

Again, since both parties agree then why is it even an issue for us fans aside from a casual interest? The penny watching around here is borderline ridiculous, an Xlot pulled small excerpt of a no-new-news Aleph comment, buried in an otherwise really great article, gets re-posted 3 times, with no surprise whatsoever behind it, for what reason exactly? The pennies, that most of us know nothing of, or even care about?

Xlot, you gave as your big reason for trying to hijack the (already Italian-chaotic) Naples effort the notion that as a taxpayer it was your duty to. I saw no notion anywhere that it involved national money, just city and provincial, but even if it had been national then: it would have cost you what, €.005, once? Does that get you even a bus ride to Fiumicino, for a relatively expensive trip to Cascais?

#44 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

[Again, since both parties agree then why is it even an issue for us fans aside from a casual interest?

"Fan" yourself. If anyone ever described me as a "sports fan" they would be seriously mistaken. I am however a business-man and a racing sailor. I also have a minor involvement in local government. From those points of view, the process through which cities choose (or mostly choose not to) involve themselves in the ACWS intrigues me. It is obvious that signing up cities is proving problematical to ACEA, hence all those holes in the schedule. As must be clear by now, the economics and sustainability of Wussell-vision is my main interest in AC34. Whether regatta-style sailing can or should be made into a TV sport, how much it will then resemble the sport that some of us here participate in, and how any such changes may then influence the grassroots sport, is something that's been debated for years and right now, LE is bankrolling a huge experiment which is likely to answer those questions one way or another. If these issues don't interest you, sports-fan, then feel free not to read or comment on them. Stop however telling me what should and should not interest me. I've got a wife to do that.

#45 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

50 000 visitors is probably a low number for daily visits to San Marco, an easy walk to the waterfront.

report on that one again after you've been there ... I'd rather think 50.000 on a daily basis extra might turn out to be a nightmare if al of them have the same purpose.
but highly unlikely such numbers would be reached.

the problem with Venice

#46 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

I've got a wife to do that.

:D Apart from that (solved the problem a while ago), we have identical views

the problem with Venice

Good link. And even if they held races 3 miles offshore the Lido it wouldn't make a difference, people wouldn't go there.

#47 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

The E5M Venice figure is in a link above, and in several other Italian articles too.

From the FV article at the beginning of this thread

It was not disclosed the amount to be paid from Venice to host the event, although it should probably settle on what has already been paid by Plymouth (200,000 pounds) and not as originally requested by the ACEA (5 million).

#48 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Very tempted to go.

Go to the events page of AC.com. There are four venues listed for the present series, 2 of them (50%) are from competitor's countries.
Get over it already!

I guess you are joking Nav ? oh, yes i used the word competitor.
SD and Newport are in the defender country, still not one venue in the challengers countries. What is wrong with ACEA ?

#49 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

Anything fun about the proposed venue arrangements in this Italian newsclip?

edit, a new marina, could be related too

#50 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

^^ Not really, apart from the aerial view of the Lido (0:50) where they say races will 'probably' be held.

#51 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

^ Thanks. On the economics, there may be interesting things in this PDF?
http://www.press-ser...c3&ras=20110906

Screwy translation pasted below:

America's Cup the City did not close disburse a dollar
Venezia won the challenge with the satisfaction of Naples Orsoni and Zorzano
America's Cup in the lagoon
Venice has won the race
Naples to host here with
important qualifications for the pious
Have you racing in the world
mo c had lost a step
someone skilled in the field Pià
of us admitted yesterday the go
Governors of Campania Ste
fano Caldoro Satisfaction
also expressed by Region
We have made the Veneto
thanks to good work
team commented yesterday
Vice President of the junta
Marino Zorzi choice
that enhances our country
ral with the possibility
lite to also use the Arse
tion that thanks to the protocol
in concert last December
pui will now be to enhance
regions receiving the city should be advanced
The announcement will, therefore, that the
America's Cup races for you
will allow to Venice in May
2012 and in April 2013 and alterations have been
made yesterday by Mayor George
Orsoni with President
America's Cup Event of Au
thority to Richard Worth, and there
list and the project manager
Dozens of King Albert Sonino
the gate fast and spectacular
sea ​​between St. Nicholas and the Des
Bains logistics base at Arse
tion and to the airport Nicerlli
A cost of 8 million euros
I would be completely covered
sponsors and of course
may trigger a mechanism
ism virtuoso and advertising
Just as cautious economy
lativo specify the organization
catalysts Consorzio Venezia
New guaranteed a fide
jussione 5 million was needed
to form contracts, but both
m sure that the sponsor with
such an event arrive
Ranno said the mayor Giorgio Orsoni the City does not
putting a dollar and I think that
compatibility between these events
The city needs more
ù looks to servants who do not
Ranno great works and infrastructure
We will use the facilities
Arsenal and the existing docks
Clearly the Idroscalo the satisfactory
faction of the mayor sailor
who worked in the past few
I Sonino for months with
a project to build credibility
and acceptable by the
American organizers demanding
dogs regatta Pià im
carrier in the world to

edit, something similar here

#52 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

^ Thanks. On the economics, there may be interesting things in this PDF?
http://www.press-ser...c3&ras=20110906

Screwy translation pasted below:

America's Cup the City did not close disburse a dollar
Venezia won the challenge with the satisfaction of Naples Orsoni and Zorzano
America's Cup in the lagoon
Venice has won the race
Naples to host here with
important qualifications for the pious
Have you racing in the world
mo c had lost a step
someone skilled in the field Pià
of us admitted yesterday the go
Governors of Campania Ste
fano Caldoro Satisfaction
also expressed by Region
We have made the Veneto
thanks to good work
team commented yesterday
Vice President of the junta
Marino Zorzi choice
that enhances our country
ral with the possibility
lite to also use the Arse
tion that thanks to the protocol
in concert last December
pui will now be to enhance
regions receiving the city should be advanced
The announcement will, therefore, that the
America's Cup races for you
will allow to Venice in May
2012 and in April 2013 and alterations have been
made yesterday by Mayor George
Orsoni with President
America's Cup Event of Au
thority to Richard Worth, and there
list and the project manager
Dozens of King Albert Sonino
the gate fast and spectacular
sea ​​between St. Nicholas and the Des
Bains logistics base at Arse
tion and to the airport Nicerlli
A cost of 8 million euros
I would be completely covered
sponsors and of course
may trigger a mechanism
ism virtuoso and advertising
Just as cautious economy
lativo specify the organization
catalysts Consorzio Venezia
New guaranteed a fide
jussione 5 million was needed
to form contracts, but both
m sure that the sponsor with
such an event arrive
Ranno said the mayor Giorgio Orsoni the City does not
putting a dollar and I think that
compatibility between these events
The city needs more
ù looks to servants who do not
Ranno great works and infrastructure
We will use the facilities
Arsenal and the existing docks
Clearly the Idroscalo the satisfactory
faction of the mayor sailor
who worked in the past few
I Sonino for months with
a project to build credibility
and acceptable by the
American organizers demanding
dogs regatta Pià im
carrier in the world to

succombed to your alter ego's Vogon poetry drive, have you ?
:D

#53 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

Ha - yep that really is scrambled :)

--

A rough g-tran of an RW interview, in Italian

Michele Fullin

VENICE - "On the application of Naples there is no foreclosure": to speak is Richard Worth, president of the America's Cup Event Authority, the company that operates the sailing trophy.

Mr Worth, how did this deal with Venice?

"It all started about 6 months ago when they were contacted by the Mayor of Venice and Alberto Sonino. Then an approach was informative, but I already seemed very determined. Then in August came to Cascais to see what it really means a stage of the World Series and the trail went straight down. "

In Naples, however, were convinced that the two stages would take place in the Gulf. What wrecked the deal?

"It is not wrecked anything. We closed with Venice, but there are still two stages that can be hosted by a European city. Including Naples and Trapani, because nothing prevents the water for the World Series can be hosted from two locations within the same country. Again, no estoppel to Naples: if they find the money and have the right organization can reason about tomorrow. We are always available. "

What were the reasons which led it to close before with Venice?

"They are different. The first is that when you ask for the names of cities in the world of the sea will meet in Sydney, Cape Town, Venice. Venice is perceived as the city of the sea and sailing excellence. It also has a very strong name, a "brand" known in every corner of the planet. "

And then? Have you thought about the problems in this period Naples?

"No, no. I would say that it was the decisive Mayor Giorgio Orsoni with his entire team. There has positively affected the force with which he wanted to bring home the result. Rather than go on vacation in August, as is used in Italy, came to deal with us while we were in Portugal. This we consider important. And then there Sonino, who has given so much to do. We see that in Venice there was a desire to have this event. "

Italy is important to you?

"The Italians are big fans of the America's Cup, but unfortunately one of the 9 teams there is not even one of your country. We hope that the enthusiasm for the choice of Venice may lead to the formation of an Italian team. There is not much time available, but we could do in a few months. Someone is trying. "

They say that Venice is not always enough wind for this kind of racing. Raul Gardini, to win the Cup when he was told: "The races will be in Venice, had to put fans in the Adriatic."

"It is not a problem. In Cascais thought to find there was very windy and rather little. But the show has not been ruined. And then, the AC 45 catamarans are very lightweight and built to fly even with little wind. It is the best technology available today in the field of sailing. And then, I did see the weather reports with the prevailing winds, the situation seems rather good. "

Who will be television coverage of the races?

"We still have to close. Before we contacted the major Italian broadcasters, but with the withdrawal of the two teams had gone down the interest. Now, however, the novelty of Venice re-open the games. "

#54 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

Says private sponsors will put in €8M, guaranteed by an €5M bond issued by a Consortium (presumably tied to the City) ..

#55 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

^^ Not really, apart from the aerial view of the Lido (0:50) where they say races will 'probably' be held.

Cool! I've got a place to stay on Lido, my father-in-law lives there. We visit relatively often, absolutely incredible place Venice. He was in the glass business, as were his father and grand father. Murano, where the glass manufacturing is done, is very interesting place.
Are they talking about racing on the Adriatic side or the lagoon side? Often zip for breeze in the lagoon, and lots of chop from the Vaporetto's.

#56 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

Says private sponsors will put in €8M, guaranteed by an €5M bond issued by a Consortium (presumably tied to the City) ..

Must surely include in-kind items, like 'rental space.'

#57 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Cool! I've got a place to stay on Lido, my father-in-law lives there. We visit relatively often, absolutely incredible place Venice. He was in the glass business, as were his father and grand father. Murano, where the glass manufacturing is done, is very interesting place.
Are they talking about racing on the Adriatic side or the lagoon side? Often zip for breeze in the lagoon, and lots of chop from the Vaporetto's.

According to this map, that may be a good vantage point for some of the track?

http://www.press-ser...a1-077cb9ed3f30

Posted Image

#58 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Excellent. Prime beach viewing area a 10 minute walk from the house.

#59 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Excellent. Prime beach viewing area a 10 minute walk from the house.

You should expect to pay a nice daily fee to ACEA for the privilege of viewing from the beach.

It is stadium sailing after all, and they own the stadium, or at least are renting it temporarily.

#60 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

Had your fill of Quadrilles?
The Madison and cheap thrills?
Bored with the Beguine?
The Samba isn't your scene?

They're playing our tune
By the pale moon
We're incognito
Down the Lido
And we like the Strand

#61 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:29 AM

You should expect to pay a nice daily fee to ACEA for the privilege of viewing from the beach.

It is stadium sailing after all, and they own the stadium, or at least are renting it temporarily.

Not necessarily a joke. The dog-walkers and joggers of Weymouth are up in arms because a local park overlooking the "Medal Course" will be fenced off and ticket-only during the Olympics.

#62 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:07 AM

Plymouth: Even the bands being brought in are free. No ticket fees, anywhere. Nice.

#63 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

Lido beach

Attached File  PICT0204.JPG   201.62K   4 downloads

Attached File  PICT0201.JPG   269.14K   6 downloads

Attached File  PICT0202.JPG   272.07K   6 downloads

#64 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

^^

At least half the Adriatic side of the island is constituted by a sandy beach, much of which belongs to the various hotels that house the summer tourists. These include the renowned Excelsior and the Des Bains, setting for Thomas Mann's classic novel Death in Venice. These beaches are private, though towards the northern and southern ends of the island there are two enormous public beaches.

#65 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

For public bus service on the Lido, please see here:

http://www.veneziasi.../bus-lines.html

This site also provides info on how to get there, e.g. by car.

#66 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

This site also provides info on how to get there, e.g. by car.

if I'm coming by car, it will be like this Rennie :D

Attached Files

#67 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hehehe, fair enough. You can take me for a ride Posted Image.

#68 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

According to main daily La Repubblica, Naples is back in contention and very near getting two WS events, like Venice!

The merry bunch who negotiated the previous round (regional governor, province president and Naples' mayor) flew en masse to Plymouth - and are staying over, since it so happens Naples is playing Manchester City in the Champions League tonight ..

#69 17mika

17mika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Gazzetta dello sport says Naples deal is closed! (link in italian)
http://www.gazzetta....879081459.shtml

Regattas on April 2012 and May 2013

#70 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

Gazzetta dello sport says Naples deal is closed! (link in italian)
http://www.gazzetta....879081459.shtml

Regattas on April 2012 and May 2013

Well since Naples has been jumping the gun for a time already, then I'll believe it when ACA announces it. But it could well be true. g-tran

'today they have signed a contract that will finally Bagnoli preliminary races of the America's Cup'

Notable too: '...persistent rumors speak of Luna Rossa.'

The Italian press has had a lot of hopeful speculation on this front during the past week, some mix of LR/Bertelli (in Plymouth recently) and Gardini and others being involved or at least being approached; seems Barovier (X40 Niceforyou) is in the thick of it too. Something about a meeting in Porto Cervo soon.

#71 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Naples, Italy, has agreed in principle to host two stops on the America's Cup World Series; the first will be in April 2012, the second in May 2013.

Designed to expose millions more people to the sport of high-performance racing, the new professional circuit was created to bring the America's Cup experience to top international venues.

"I'm very pleased to confirm we will be bringing the America's Cup World Series to Naples," said Richard Worth, the Chairman of the America's Cup Event Authority. "Naples offers us a Mediterranean backdrop, and a stadium set-up within the Bay of Naples – a perfect complement to the exciting racing the AC World Series provides."

Ooohhh! Did I beat Sting with the scoop? All I really want to do in life is beat him to the cut n paste for once! :P

#72 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

A proposal, or an agreement?

Posted by Zero

#73 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

Wow - Guess it's true!

"I am very pleased to confirm that the America's Cup, World Series will make a stop in Naples - said Richard Worth, president of the America's Cup Event Authority - Naples offers a beautiful Mediterranean scene, identified a natural stage in the Gulf: a complement determinant for the competition of the races offered by the AC World Series. "

http://translate.goo...1AnhxPY7To-wQsQ

#74 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Ooohhh! Did I beat Sting with the scoop? All I really want to do in life is beat him to the cut n paste for once! :P

You did, you did! :lol:

But we have Xlot to thank for today's first-alert post... Despite all the disbelief over the prospect of Naples getting it together over the past weeks as I persisted with the links to all that news :)

I really hope this works out, Naples is actually my preference over even Venice.

#75 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Will France be awarded a stop, while the racing is down in the Med. Seems Marseilles is an ideal setting.

#76 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

2011-2012 America's Cup World Series

August 6-14; Cascais, Portugal
September 10-18; Plymouth, UK
November 12-20; San Diego, USA
January/February; to be confirmed
April (tbc); Naples, Italy
May 12-20; Venice, Italy
June 23-July 1; Newport, Rhode Island, USA

#77 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

The Italian press has had a lot of hopeful speculation on this front during the past week, some mix of LR/Bertelli (in Plymouth recently) and Gardini and others being involved or at least being approached; seems Barovier (X40 Niceforyou) is in the thick of it too. Something about a meeting in Porto Cervo soon.

At FV today, g-tran excerpt:

Particularly expected the two Italian boats, Luna Rossa is fighting for the final victory in the circuit and Niceforyou. Il team di Alberto Barovier si è detto nei giorni scorsi assai interessato a un programma con gli AC45 in vista dell'evento a Venezia nel 2012. The team of Alberto Barovier said in recent days has been very interested in a program with the AC45 in view of the event in Venice in 2012. L'interesse di Patrizio Bertelli per la Coppa America è noto e anche il team Prada starebbe studiando una campagna AC45 per il prossimo anno. Patrizio Bertelli's interest in America's Cup is known and Prada, the team would be studying a campaign AC45 for next year. Curiosità anche per l'esordio al timone di un multiscafo per Ben Ainslie, il 4 volte medaglia olimpica inglese, che a Trapani sarà lo skipper di Oman Air. Curiosity for the debut at the helm of a multihull for Ben Ainslie, the British Olympic medal 4 times that in Trapani will be the skipper of Oman Air.

#78 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

Since there's no reason for a Newport thread just yet, pasting here
--
http://www2.turnto10.com/sports/2011/sep/15/5/ri-says-americas-cup-event-bring-72m-boost-ar-739965/

NEWPORT, R.I. -- An America's Cup regatta being held in Rhode Island next summer will give the state's economy a $72 million boost and create 400 jobs, state officials said Thursday.

Keith Stokes, the executive director of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, held up the nine-day America's Cup World Series event - to be hosted in the seaside city of Newport - as a jump-starter for the economy that will have a positive "ripple effect" for years to come.

The regatta is expected to feature top international sailors ahead of the 2013 America's Cup race in San Francisco and attract more than 100,000 visitors. It's scheduled to take place from June 23 to July 1.

The economic impact estimate, prepared by the state Department of Revenue, estimates $51 million in economic benefits from direct spending, including on construction, hotel rooms and restaurants, transportation and retail. An additional $21 million is projected in indirect spending by

contd

#79 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Since there's no reason for a Newport thread just yet, pasting here
--
http://www2.turnto10...oost-ar-739965/

NEWPORT, R.I. -- An America's Cup regatta being held in Rhode Island next summer will give the state's economy a $72 million boost and create 400 jobs, state officials said Thursday.

also from Newport today

#80 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

More from Newport

#81 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:22 AM

It's their case to the public for investing in Fort Adams State Park. Note the 'State' which is why the gov is involved.

Who knows, it could be a smart move long-term. Stokes is quoted in another article saying that some of the Newport waterfront redevelopment has been a mistake, made good arguments to support it. Says it should have been zoned for a more maritime use. This takes them that direction.

#82 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:32 AM

More from Newport

-Stingray-, what is your link with Stingray ? he looks to have nearly disapeared today and you post the same official material from ACEA.

Just curious...

I started the ~ one when on the verge of hitting 15K. Then I accidentally hit it anyway, using another computer... Soon as I take that 25K step, intentionally or not, then maybe I'll just go with it until... Well I don't even want to contemplate the next milestone! For now the 24 999 amuses me. Silly, but like with linking to 'official' material, which is where most of the active content actually is, it hurts noone at all.

Blowing counts to here makes a mockery of counts too, which also amuses me.

#83 EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • Interests:BOC Challenge 90-91, 94-95, Around Alone 98, Whitbread 93-94, 97-98, America's Cup 2000.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:54 AM

BTW, Eagles may beat you at that game

Not even close. Stingray is averaging 6,250 posts a year to my piddling 2,740 per year. As you know, we are both paid piecework by ACEA and Sting drives a $60K Vette and I drive a pissant $36K Hybrid Escape.

#84 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:16 AM

Any of you Euros heard any rumors about any ACWS events in France?

#85 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

Marseille or Biscay would be good. especially Mistral with the former

#86 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

^+1

Absolutely. Big city, big winds, great vantage points to watch the racing in close. Seems like the perfect place for an ACWS event.

Would Lorient be the best option on the Atlantic?

#87 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:29 AM

^+1

Absolutely. Big city, big winds, great vantage points to watch the racing in close. Seems like the perfect place for an ACWS event.

Brest is the best place in France for many reasons.

BTW, GD was in Lorient 2 days ago and he said very, very interesting things that I will give soon.

#88 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

^+1

Brest is the best place in France for many reasons.

BTW, GD was in Lorient 2 days ago and he said very, very interesting things that I will give soon.

Just wondering, the short version, why would Brest be better than Marseille. I know very little about Lorient vs Brest, I was just looking at the aerial of the two, and it seemed Lorient may be a bit more intimate, but the facilities still look big enough for an ACWS regatta. I'm sure you would know better, though.

I would love to see a race both in the Lorient/Brest area, as well as down on the south of France.

#89 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:54 AM

Just wondering, the short version, why would Brest be better than Marseille. I know very little about Lorient vs Brest, I was just looking at the aerial of the two, and it seemed Lorient may be a bit more intimate, but the facilities still look big enough for an ACWS regatta. I'm sure you would know better, though.

I would love to see a race both in the Lorient/Brest area, as well as down on the south of France.

OK, I'll try to summerize:

Lorient:
Advantage:
- small city
- not very nice as completely destroyed during the last world war by the allies trying to destroy the sub base (remained intact)
- most french multis are in Lorient
- LP, Cammas and all sailors know this place
- Oracle knows the place as their team went to train in Lorient with Cammas for the AC33.

Disadvantage:
- IMO too small for infrastructure and hotels
- when sailing you use to smell rotten fish because of a few factories (I don't know if it is still existing)
- not many people in the city

Brest:
Disadvantage
- not so nice for some as also destroyed during the war for the another submarine base (remained intact too)

Advantage
- same size as Plymouth, military harbour, and very old castle.
- wind is blowing most of the time.
- best protected "rade" in Europe
- natural circus with lots of possibilities to view the race
- plenty of infrastructure and hotels
- educated population that saw the departure and arrival of all major sailing races around the world
- a city that has often been organising sailing events
- possibility to race from the sailboat harbour (Port du Moulin Blanc) but, much better, from the harbour downtown like in Plymouth
- tens of pubs and restaurant for sailors in front of the quays.
- if in summer possibility to combine the summer events in the harbour downtown, which already draw thousands of people, to the event

Marseille is not such a great place, nice weather, with people not really interested in sailing, high rate of criminality. The Vieux Port is nice but boats will have to be tugged away. Good if Mistral is blowing but it is very imprevisible

In Brittany the organisers have to get in touch with the local medias.
The 2 newspapers, Le Télégramme and Ouest France will make special edition about it and will touch between 3 to 4 million people.
The french main channel TF1. His president, Patrick Le Lay loves Brittany and will probably make special editions as far as it is focussed on Brittany and sailing
The TV show: Thalassa, specialised in everything around the marine life
Keeping the best for the end: Le café de la Marine from the Télégramme that produced so far the best about AC that I have seen on TV.

#90 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

At FV today, g-tran excerpt:

Particularly expected the two Italian boats, Luna Rossa is fighting for the final victory in the circuit and Niceforyou. Il team di Alberto Barovier si è detto nei giorni scorsi assai interessato a un programma con gli AC45 in vista dell'evento a Venezia nel 2012. The team of Alberto Barovier said in recent days has been very interested in a program with the AC45 in view of the event in Venice in 2012. L'interesse di Patrizio Bertelli per la Coppa America è noto e anche il team Prada starebbe studiando una campagna AC45 per il prossimo anno. Patrizio Bertelli's interest in America's Cup is known and Prada, the team would be studying a campaign AC45 for next year. Curiosità anche per l'esordio al timone di un multiscafo per Ben Ainslie, il 4 volte medaglia olimpica inglese, che a Trapani sarà lo skipper di Oman Air. Curiosity for the debut at the helm of a multihull for Ben Ainslie, the British Olympic medal 4 times that in Trapani will be the skipper of Oman Air.

Lauro Buoro - Nice president, owns an 80' Wally - was on TV during the Trapani broadcast, said next year they'll certainly be doing the ESS again. Considering their poor results so far, wise move.

Incidentally, they also aired an interview with EB, taken yesterday: despite mentioning his multihull past and present, he sort of hinted in his opinion monos are more suited to the Cup.

#91 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Some meat here, let me see if the g-tran is understandable and I'll comment later

Speaking of AC45s, what do you make of the LR and NiceForYou mentions, or anything else interesting, in this from yesterday (Italian)?

Oracle has accepted the (something) by Patrizio Bertelli ?

edit: rough g-tran

---

VENICE Catamarans challenge
leranno fast a hundred
meters from the beach of the Li
do bend the sails almost
to touch the surface of BC
here in the presence of buoys and re
pass a short distance
The dam of San Nicoletto
Americans have done in the fret
t and have already decided who knows
Ra The path to the stage of
the America's Cup from the Venice
12 and 20 May 2012
After the inspection of yesterday
ACEA members have volumes of
to identify a model
race completely new re
compared to the actual World Series
A difference up to now Tuate
za Plymouth or San Francisco
Venice does not have a cam disc
little tender but the water is wide
integral part of the city
explains the director of the Mayor
America's Cup Alberto
Sonino so it was decided to
to an almost self
automotive industry with many buoys and
curves for passing boats
next to the dam of San Nico
read and finish the parade in front of
San Marco
This is why the administrations
it is already local organizations
Zando to close the Basin
the water traffic in the days
the race and to lock
passage of large ships
from 14 to 18 hours in which
Not only will play the races
In the coming weeks Arri
veranno also authori
tions necessary for the construction
of a temporary village
involving space ac
diver to become the
In the new dock at the Lido
temporary village where
will make the awards
bleachers will be installed
to assist directly
race and dozens of screens
and stereos Permet
tere visitors to attend the
competition and listen to the
comment on the speaker
The global event straight seams but also the island of Lido
that areas of the Navy militates
King of the Biennale and Arse
tion where there are
The catamarans with the Ac45
Petition the school of sailing and
merchandising operations
On the island of Certosa San
Servolo and seaplane base at San
Andrea will host instead of t
Tati the approximately seven hundred members
teams of boats
In the two weekends are forecasts
ste various parades and regattas
Sonino continues and the public while
between entering the shipyard and touches
King-hand boats ga
ra
And it is increasingly likely
that among the teams that participate
increase being we will also match
Luna Rossa to that seen
Oracle has accepted the request
ste posed by Patrizio Bertelli in
view of a possible recovery
From the Italian boat
by 2012 it will reset all the scores of the World Series races to date to allow boats to
participating in February
in Oman or New Zealand
leaving the same opportunity as others.
So am Prada has everything
rule to point to the board
ria but adds Sonino
Italian boats in the race potreb
BERO even be two
Luna Rossa fact potreb
well down in the water also
Nice Lauro Buoro which would otherwise
Be a catamaran around Veneto
Still to be discussed instead the logical
ments of hospitality in the days of
race in addition to the seven
hundred members of the crews will arrive in Venice
for about eight hundred
of persons organized
tion and almost five
quemila visitors
many of whom know
will allow to board
In their boats there
Vai is the start of
So the co yachts
mitato organized
King will be defined only in the middle eight
ber will have to network the various
2012 the city docks
to accommodate the mass of boats and provided
for this reason that even
I tied the match in Venice
involve the estuary and
Marghera where members yesterday
Acea did a survey to monitor landings
Today we are with and docks
siderites a tourist town
The ends they hope Sonino
za is that this manifestation
extraordinary return it to
Venice his reputation as a city of
boating and sailing the sea

Alessio Antonini

#92 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

OK, here goes. But first you should consider that unlike Naples, Venice is rich, well organized, the mayor is a sailor and his rep Alberto Sonino raced in a Tornado: the only doubt is lack of wind, and inevitably the stay won't be cheap.

So, yesterday there was a site visit by ACEA (ACRM probably). They agreed on a race course unlike previous ones with many buoys and ending inside the lagoon in front of St.Mark's, boat traffic being halted for the occasion - not clear however if just for a sail-by, contrasts with bleachers and prize-giving at the Lido.

They are expecting 700 team members, 800 from the organization (??) - and at long last a credible figure of 5,000 real (read: paying) visitors.

LR and possibly Nice are likely, since Larry would have accepted PB's request that WS scoring starts anew beginning with the winter (Auckland or Oman) venue.

#93 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

OK, here goes. But first you should consider that unlike Naples, Venice is rich, well organized, the mayor is a sailor and his rep Alberto Sonino raced in a Tornado: the only doubt is lack of wind, and inevitably the stay won't be cheap.

So, yesterday there was a site visit by ACEA (ACRM probably). They agreed on a race course unlike previous ones with many buoys and ending inside the lagoon in front of St.Mark's, boat traffic being halted for the occasion - not clear however if just for a sail-by, contrasts with bleachers and prize-giving at the Lido.

They are expecting 700 team members, 800 from the organization (??) - and at long last a credible figure of 5,000 real (read: paying) visitors.

LR and possibly Nice are likely, since Larry would have accepted PB's request that WS scoring starts anew beginning with the winter (Auckland or Oman) venue.

Thank you. That is excellent news.

#94 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

They are expecting 700 team members.

Really? That 80-odd per team. For AC45s. Why the hell would you need 80 people to run a 45 footer? Sure didn't look like there were 700 team members at Millbay when I passed by, at what should have been a busy period.

They agreed on a race course unlike previous ones with many buoys and ending inside the lagoon in front of St.Mark's

That's certainly different to the previously indicated course somewhere in the distance off the Lido.

#95 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

Thank you. That is excellent news.

Which is excellent news?

That Bertelli can dictate the terms of a late entry?

That Larry would consider a ACWS reset? "Sorry folks the last couple of ACWS regattas were just for practice. Please welcome Luna Rossa"

That a host venue can dictate the format of the racing?

If any of the above article is true then the AC really is in a bad way. Not enough competitors for the amount of work and money required for SF to host the AC. The AC is in -

#96 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

Which is excellent news?

That Bertelli can dictate the terms of a late entry?

That Larry would consider a ACWS reset? "Sorry folks the last couple of ACWS regattas were just for practice. Please welcome Luna Rossa"

That a host venue can dictate the format of the racing?

Consider the purpose of the ACWS. It's a showcase for teams to sponsors. It's a showcase for ACEA for broadcasters. It's additional exposure for such sponsors as exist. Now tell me why any of those interested parties would give a shit if the scores for previous regattas were forgotten or if racing at Venice is more like some club round-the-cans Wednesday evening course than a sailing championship.

If any of the above article is true then the AC really is in a bad way. Not enough competitors for the amount of work and money required for SF to host the AC.

Shhhh. You'll frighten the horses. Instead.

#97 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

"Nine teams will contest the primacy (in addition to Italy with Luna Rossa: U.S., France, Spain, Sweden, New Zealand, Korea and China) on board AC45 futuristic catamaran (13.5 meters long with a wing rigid 85 square meters), which will be hosted, together with their crews, in the Arsenale, the birthplace of the famous Venetian navy. There are two race courses: the Basin of San Marco and the Lido area of ​​sea in front of St. Nicholas, where they will set up special forums for those wishing to attend the next challenge."

http://www.comune.ve.../IDPagina/52884
http://g.co/maps/85vvy

#98 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

No local Team in Venice. I guess no local Team in Naples.

#99 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

^ Do you think there will be two LR boats starting in Naples?

#100 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I think only the # 13. Murray said the # 14 not in time for Naples.
I read today only 10 boats in Venice. I guess only 10 in Naples.

La base logistica della Coppa America sara' l'Arsenale, l'antico deposito navale edificato nel 1100, e il campo di regata tra gli stabilimenti dell'Hotel De Bains e la Bocca di Porto del Lido: 10 gli equipaggi in gara, 30 le regate in programma, al ritmo di tre al giorno, 50 mila gli spettatori attesi che potranno seguire la competizione da diversi punti di osservazione. Gia' pronto anche il logo ''Venice 2012'' e ''Venice 2013'' America's Cup World Series.
http://www.veneziaeventi.com/eventi/notizie/sport-e-altro/2196-americas-cup-a-venezia-2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users