Naples, Italy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1667 replies to this topic

#1601 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hey all. I completely skipped the anarchy threads for the racing and watched it on my time, after the fact. All races weren't covered, which was sad, but the animation made for a spectacular watch. Kept me sane during one four hour conference call I have to admit. Compared historically, this was far better coverage than any other AC in history except for Perth. That's my opinion obviously, but it's an easier opinion to have since I didn't listen to you blow hards spouting on about how this is the worst AC whatever, whenever, or you other blowhards spouting on about how grand and perfect it was all going to be.

If you had told me ten years ago there would be a series with nine winged cats on the starting line, and they would sail fleet and match races, and could go in three to twenty five knots, with more passing lanes than the 405 freeway, and I could choose to watch them in high def or as really clever little cartoons, then I would be stoked. And I am.

Stop your bitching, will ya?

Koukel

#1602 Sailplots

Sailplots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

As a wrap up to Naples, here are replays of the final Match and Fleet races.

Final Fleet Race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IwvM47iaM0&context=C4f9885cADvjVQa1PpcFPXjtqB6_R6btseyrSUK4Nl7OT5Bb3TSWs=

Final Match Race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAQpF6ucI4&context=C4330f5dADvjVQa1PpcFPXjtqB6_R6boZqspDCUQx0cUaYkchnjb8=

Replays of all the Naples races can be found at this YouTube playlist

#1603 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Stop telling me what I should think and feel. I've a wife to do that.

#1604 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Stop telling me what I should think and feel. I've a wife to do that.

Enjoy your bitching then.

Koukel

#1605 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

fun enough piece,

Slaying Giants - upsetting the established order
From the first day that Team Korea's Nathan Outteridge started racing AC45 catamarans - less than a week before race one in Naples! - he has been giving the more experienced and established teams a run for their money.

In the match racing in Naples, Luna Rossa’s two brand new teams both made it to the Semi-Finals, with Piranha eventually finishing second behind Artemis Racing before going out that same afternoon and winning Super Sunday's fleet race to claim the Fleet Racing Championship.

And Energy Team, under the leadership of skipper Yann Guichard, sailed a generally consistent fleet race series to finish fourth overall in Naples, and move up to third on the 2011-12 AC World Series Fleet Racing Championship leaderboard.

contd

#1606 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Are they breaking the boats down for transport to Venice or will they be shipped assembled?

#1607 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Was this published yet?
http://www.independe...up-7619016.html

Bertelli says they will do two cup cycles, which was news to me anyway.

#1608 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Are they breaking the boats down for transport to Venice or will they be shipped assembled?

I guess you didn't get the memosPosted Image

No.1 http://noticeboard.a...nd-Shipping.pdf

In brief......
ACRM is unable to incur the additional cost of shipping assembled AC45
platforms. All AC45 platforms to be shipped by ACRM for competitors must be
disassembled and packed in their usual shipping containers for shipment from
Naples to Venice by the notified time and date.

No.2 http://noticeboard.a...ipping-Info.pdf

The 'additional cost' explanation seems a bit off, as in the past they have chartered the whole boat, but perhaps they are going 'commercial' & 'cubic' for this short hop?

#1609 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

In brief......

The 'additional cost' explanation seems a bit off, as in the past they have chartered the whole boat, but perhaps they are going 'commercial' & 'cubic' for this short hop?

Actually i did get the memo. B) Just wondering if any teams paid up or not. Is it possible the broken down boats will be shipped behind a truck?

#1610 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

In brief......

Actually i did get the memo. B) Just wondering if any teams paid up or not. Is it possible the broken down boats will be shipped behind a truck?

Paid up? You mean paid to ship by sea in the racks, even though it's clear ACRM has not allowed for this possibility. Privately organised is a possible I guess, but would it be worth all the hassle just to avoid dis/re-assembly?

Shipping standard containers by road - damn good idea. Of course the camera boat and committee boat will still probably have to go by sea (even if the flag boats fitted on trucks). Could they go on their own bottoms? Good questions for IM.

#1611 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

100 km by road is more expensive than 20.000 km by sea.

#1612 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Nice effort here

#1613 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Nice effort here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khYaXh4KNRM

Yep, a Napoli 'postcard' to commemorate the event. There has been a bit of talk about improving things for the internet spectator, but what about the 'attendees'?

You posted a time-lapse sequence of one of the races earlier that had been shot from the breakwater/spectator POV. That made it very obvious that the 'stadium' aspect was 'somewhat exaggerated'. I.e the boats quickly headed for the horizon.

The onshore spectators were essentially crowded into just one 'endzone', behind the leeward gate. (Which also gave them a close view of 2x 14 minutes of speed trials - or was it only one session in the end, not sure?)

I don't know much about NOR, S.I. requirements and so on, but it seems to me that instead of having say 6 course possibilities in the S.I.s you could just as easily have 20. That would allow for all wind directions and therefore present the boats and races as much as possible to the spectators.

This would mean a greater variety of courses relative to the wind, start directions etc - and some feel they have already 'rocked the boat' enough by moving away from the windward leeward sausage. Would such a variety really be too confusing for the best sailors in the world? Or are there overriding logistical problems with predesignated racing areas and harbour control?

It seems they have created a very flexible race management setup, but with an onshore wind and a predetermined race course and only one 'grandstand' they could not show their best to the fans that turned out in Naples. (But giving a nice 'standard package' for TV)

Another factor that effected the 'stadium' was the lack of boats and on-the-water spectators to 'close the gaps'. What is that about? Italian economics? No middle class? Onerous licencing requirements? Taxes? Storms?

#1614 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

In brief......

Paid up? You mean paid to ship by sea in the racks, even though it's clear ACRM has not allowed for this possibility. Privately organised is a possible I guess, but would it be worth all the hassle just to avoid dis/re-assembly?

Shipping standard containers by road - damn good idea. Of course the camera boat and committee boat will still probably have to go by sea (even if the flag boats fitted on trucks). Could they go on their own bottoms? Good questions for IM.

Any feet on the ground with feedback?

#1615 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Nice effort here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khYaXh4KNRM

Yep, a Napoli 'postcard' to commemorate the event. There has been a bit of talk about improving things for the internet spectator, but what about the 'attendees'?

You posted a time-lapse sequence of one of the races earlier that had been shot from the breakwater/spectator POV. That made it very obvious that the 'stadium' aspect was 'somewhat exaggerated'. I.e the boats quickly headed for the horizon.

The onshore spectators were essentially crowded into just one 'endzone', behind the leeward gate. (Which also gave them a close view of 2x 14 minutes of speed trials - or was it only one session in the end, not sure?)

I don't know much about NOR, S.I. requirements and so on, but it seems to me that instead of having say 6 course possibilities in the S.I.s you could just as easily have 20. That would allow for all wind directions and therefore present the boats and races as much as possible to the spectators.

This would mean a greater variety of courses relative to the wind, start directions etc - and some feel they have already 'rocked the boat' enough by moving away from the windward leeward sausage. Would such a variety really be too confusing for the best sailors in the world? Or are there overriding logistical problems with predesignated racing areas and harbour control?

It seems they have created a very flexible race management setup, but with an onshore wind and a predetermined race course and only one 'grandstand' they could not show their best to the fans that turned out in Naples. (But giving a nice 'standard package' for TV)

Another factor that effected the 'stadium' was the lack of boats and on-the-water spectators to 'close the gaps'. What is that about? Italian economics? No middle class? Onerous licencing requirements? Taxes? Storms?

If you can gather as many people as possible in a well defined area you can assure yourself of some reall nice crowd shots .

I also was wondering where the specator " fleet " was during the event .

#1616 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

100 km by road is more expensive than 20.000 km by sea.

You could go all America's Cup and sail them on their own bottoms.

Koukel

#1617 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Russell Coutts Facebook:

Wondering what people thought about the television coverage of Naples?

http://www.facebook....ellcouttssailor

#1618 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Just read this one. Of course quite frustrated, but rather outspoken beyond that.

Dean's Diary: Final day in Naples - another toss of the coin

#1619 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Just read this one. Of course quite frustrated, but rather outspoken beyond that.

Very telling:

"There is a certain frustration with the format and the fact that things change every event in some very random decisions.

We are all stakeholders in trying to make this whole thing better but at times the sport is clearly giving way to TV and external pressures."

Well, I see I am not alone....................

#1620 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Very telling:

"There is a certain frustration with the format and the fact that things change every event in some very random decisions.

We are all stakeholders in trying to make this whole thing better but at times the sport is clearly giving way to TV and external pressures."

Frustration?

Might have been more honest to say: thank goodness that has changed the format and now not only scored the last race. If it had been like in the previous vents, rather than finish third, had finished seventh.

#1621 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

and quite rightly so.....because no one else is going to speak out against russelworld..

Cue spinbot, at 7.30 after a couple of pinot noirs ...

Just another kiwi cunt who doesn't get that russ has put together the fairest AC race management ever..er..world series management ever ...

weighting the last driftathon x 5 is the best way to keep the facebookers interested and stops cunts like him thinking they should win the regatta if they spank the rest of the circus..er..world series of the world...

change is the best thing about russelvision..it keeps the losers in the regatta with a chance to win before the home crowd on the last day...

and if russel ever tries to pull anything like eb did, I will be the first to point the finger...

#1622 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

The idea behind an (almost) Winner Takes All Super Sunday race is likely because the promoters feel it is a better sell to TV that way.

But does it really need to be that simple? I'm sure many people tune in to the Sunday of a golf tournament, look at the scoreboard from after Saturday's play, and can then tell who has a chance to win overall. Spreading the points to give weight to the earlier races is a step in the right direction but maybe it should be taken farther.

TV might be perfectly good with that concept too.

#1623 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

^seis
This only makes it better by a small degree, don't you think so?

#1624 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

^seis
This only makes it better by a small degree, don't you think so?

I think so. But I'm a bit tired victimization tone of almost all the statements of these guys ... especially when they distort reality!
"If we are not always the best is because of the bad guys".

I prefer the style of Iker

#1625 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

^
I wouldn't mention Iker in this respect, if I wouldn't want to drag the cheating/not cheating discussions here. Posted Image

#1626 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Very telling:

I knew dean has been reading my posts :) the all mighty TV god brings you reality AC.

#1627 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Very telling:

I knew dean has been reading my posts :) the all mighty TV god brings you reality AC.

I had this thought earlier today:

What major sport was built with the idea of making TV coverage #1?

The NFL came to prominence due the the Sudden Death 1958 title game, where Johnny Unitas basically invented the 2 minute drill. (although he did no know it at the time)

NASCAR was launched by the 1979 Daytona 500, when having a captivated audience due a major snow storm, and the 'Fight' at the end, that captured attention. (look at them rednecks!)

NBA basketball was built on the talent and rivalries of the 60's & 70's (IMHO) like Hondo, Debeusher, 'Clyde' Frasier, Wilt the Stilt, Bill Russell, etc. and Celtic/Laker rivalries in the finals (quite a few 7 game nailbiters also)

The America's Cup had its chance in 1983. Interest surged and 1987 was broadcast live around the world. Interest was never higher.

Then Fay came along with the rogue challenge and the momentum was lost. Even Bertrand sinking a boat could not bring them back.

So, I am not yet convinced that altering the sailing to build an audience is the way forward. I think package the TV to highlight the sailing, the boats, the characters, and venues, and I think you will get the viewership, if it is out there to be had.

Sure, all the major leagues have changed things over the years to accomodate and broaden the TV experience, but they did not alter the game to launch it.

I wish these guys well, but have not been convinced that changing the game is going to do it. If I am wrong, I'll be first in line to congratulate them on the success. I am grateful for the coverage so-far, but do not like having 'shadow' races and a major part of the show not covered.

#1628 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Very telling:

The NFL came to prominence due the the Sudden Death 1958 title game, where Johnny Unitas basically invented the 2 minute drill. (although he did no know it at the time)

NASCAR was launched by the 1979 Daytona 500, when having a captivated audience due a major snow storm, and the 'Fight' at the end, that captured attention. (look at them rednecks!)

NBA basketball was built on the talent and rivalries of the 60's & 70's (IMHO) like Hondo, Debeusher, 'Clyde' Frasier, Wilt the Stilt, Bill Russell, etc. and Celtic/Laker rivalries in the finals (quite a few 7 game nailbiters also)

The America's Cup had its chance in 1983. Interest surged and 1987 was broadcast live around the world. Interest was never higher.

Then Fay came along with the rogue challenge and the momentum was lost. Even Bertrand sinking a boat could not bring them back.

So, I am not yet convinced that altering the sailing to build an audience is the way forward. I think package the TV to highlight the sailing, the boats, the characters, and venues, and I think you will get the viewership, if it is out there to be had.

Sure, all the major leagues have changed things over the years to accomodate and broaden the TV experience, but they did not alter the game to launch it.

I wish these guys well, but have not been convinced that changing the game is going to do it. If I am wrong, I'll be first in line to congratulate them on the success. I am grateful for the coverage so-far, but do not like having 'shadow' races and a major part of the show not covered.

I am all for having a great sailing series on TV but why dilute the Americas Cup to do so ? A series of races shorter than the average Wed night beer can event will never equal the prestige of the past AC in many sailors eyes .The Americas Cup and reality TV should never be combined .

#1629 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

An gripe by Pierre at VS
--
Hopefully, organizers will devise something more conventional and easier to understand for the future ACWS events, even if they are for exhibition purposes and don’t count towards the Louis Vuitton Cup and the America’s Cup.
--
http://www.vsail.inf...be-complicated/

#1630 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Very telling:

You have just shown the examples better than I have of the primary problem.

I have been saying people watch people this whole time.

People do not watch cars in NASCAR, they watch the drivers.

People don't watch the ball in basketball, they watch the players.

And people are not going to related to a cat with a wing no matter how fast it is or where it is sailed. People want to become engaged with the people sailing the boats.

There is virtually no dynamic story of the personalities in the AC right now, other than maybe THutch and his screaming.

#1631 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

Very telling:

And people are not going to related to a cat with a wing no matter how fast it is or where it is sailed. People want to become engaged with the people sailing the boats.

There is virtually no dynamic story of the personalities in the AC right now, other than maybe THutch and his screaming.

Totally agree.

What they need is something like the Tonight Show that would showcase the various AC personalities in an informal and somewhat unscripted environment. Someone with a dynamic enough personality and sense of humor that focuses on the personalities involved and actually shares new news stories.

I guess we already had that but it got shut down in favor of a one man show.

#1632 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

Very telling:

In the AC case, punters follow their national team, or a team of their nationals. Not all sailing enthusiasts are necessarily AC enthusiasts, something which the ACEA/ACRM marketing initiatives appear to have failed to recognise, judging from their amateurish efforts at attracting non-sailing "spectators", the Facebookers. 2013 can't some around quick enough for Larry...

#1633 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

^ SWS, you're suggesting your bud Marcus Y is some kind of 'Tonight Show' massive movie success? Lmao!

TE and NB and whoever else pulled really big crowds in Charleston this weekend; just as they and others have and will continue to do in the Bay area.

Chill out, bud! :)

#1634 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

^ SWS, you're suggesting your bud Marcus Y is some kind of 'Tonight Show' massive movie success? Lmao!

TE and NB and whoever else pulled really big crowds in Charleston this weekend; just as they and others have and will continue to do in the Bay area.

You mean by gatecrashing the Charleston Race Week Beach Party which would have attracted the same numbers, as it has in previous years, whether the Cup was there or not. The Beach Party attendees were a 'captured' audience.

It was the booze not the Cup that was the attraction.

#1635 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

I knew dean has been reading my posts Posted Image the all mighty TV god brings you reality AC.

I'd rather have root canal surgery than watch reality TV. But if ACWS were judged as reality TV, it's crap in the genre. It's like a soap opera sponsored by the Mormons. All we get is: it's another sunny day in Coutts-ville and everybody is even happier than they were yesterday. As Huston says, where's the drama, the personalities, the heroes, the villains, the controversy? From that point of view, the Dalton gagging clause is an own goal, in attempting to silence the only team manager who, like it or loathe it, was at least saying something different that generated a reaction.

This is what we've got. Trumpton. Don't you think "Pew, Pew, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grub" is exactly like those ridiculous crew introductions when they pose and look manly while the skipper mouths some inanity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P5wcCuNZbY

This is what we want. The Trumpton Riots. We've had Cant conformism since 1966. And now subversions in the air. In the shape of flying bricks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao19eROwu_c

#1636 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

^^ Could be they were 'captured' but at TE's FB there are a lot of photos to suggest they had a few hundred pretty serious sailors who went out of their way to listen in. Good audience, why trash it - just more malice?

edit, one account: http://www.islandpac...irst-class.html

#1637 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Still very defensive I see. It's as if you have big skin in the game, no ?

What I'm stating, not suggesting, is that PH has a good idea, and that CupChat was welcomed with open arms by the local sailing community and generated interest as the YC events were all SRO sold out events. Does that tell you something or do I have to spell it out for you ?

Instead of fabricating an issue about charging to attend to cover costs, tell me why is it not viewed as a strong positive indication of interest from the fans, you know, the ones that want to be cultivated as an AC has never been held here before ? Like you say, it's not your money so you surely can't care. Streaming it reached out to an even wider audience. One might think that a popular event that helped generate interest with the event and the personalities involved would be welcome, especially in light of the overwhelming interest and support shown from other venues, ie Naples.

The event was shut down due to pure politics - despite the litany of baseless excuses tossed out. Why is it that none of those excuses came into play when the event was hosted previously ?

When claims are made that it was a "for profit" event, I call total BS, and those involved are well aware of that fact. It was people volunteering their time - several crew for me and I know.

In terms of audience, I'm glad you point CRW - with a captive audience of a fleet of what, 230 boats, crew and support people ? That's like heading to Alaska with a truckload of free heaters, giving them out and claiming success. Not saying it's a bad idea and I'm glad they had a good turn-out, but keep it in perspective. Maybe we should consider whetting the appetite of the local fans that have already lined up, willing to pay a few bucks to get to know the personalities involved, and have been shut down.

Spare me the rhetoric, it's not even yours.

#1638 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

You mean by gatecrashing the Charleston Race Week Beach Party which would have attracted the same numbers, as it has in previous years, whether the Cup was there or not. The Beach Party attendees were a 'captured' audience.

Wai till we here the attendance numbers for the SF acws event. " And of the numbers reported a few were here to see the fleet week participants but mostly everyone was here for the ACWS, no really they were , honest ! "

#1639 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

Wai till we here the attendance numbers for the SF acws event. " And of the numbers reported a few were here to see the fleet week participants but mostly everyone was here for the ACWS, no really they were , honest ! "

Honestly I really don't think it matters what is claimed. The reality of the situation is the amount of visibility they will receive, and how much of that translates to AC spectator ship, which we'll never know. I suspect it will help quite a bit, but that's only a guess.

#1640 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

RE: the Prius vid in the Viaduct thread.

Where are little items like that here for the OR team? France for ET? Korea for TK? China for CT? Are they out there?

Seems like the Kiwis have a good grasp on PR and sponsorship value.

If ACEA has a deal with NBC, where are some promos on say, the Today Show, NBC Nightly news? ESPN? SPEED Channel?

Other than the amount of attention here, and what we drive to the YouTube vids, where is the exposure? ESPN did wonders for the AC back in the 80's - early 90's with 12m Worlds coverage, trials coverage, promo's and update shows. Where is AC Uncovered shown other than SA, other sailing sites, and YT? I think it may have been better to get some of this coverage out more than the paid ACWS deal with NBC, but maybe once a month instead of every week. What are the numbers on this stuff?

Since we have to have sponsoship dollars, where is the exposure? They get skateboarding, snow skiing, and a lot of other 'extreme' sports on these outlets, where is the extreme sailing?

#1641 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Where is AC Uncovered shown other than SA, other sailing sites, and YT?

It's shown in the early hours on Channel 4 in the UK, which is a free-to-view channel. I have no idea what the audience figures would be. Not huge would be safe to say. I might watch it if it was once a month. There just isn't the material for weekly and I've lost interest.

#1642 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Where are little items like that here for the OR team? France for ET? Korea for TK? China for CT? Are they out there?

If ACEA has a deal with NBC, where are some promos on say, the Today Show, NBC Nightly news? ESPN? SPEED Channel?

Other than the amount of attention here, and what we drive to the YouTube vids, where is the exposure? ESPN did wonders for the AC back in the 80's - early 90's with 12m Worlds coverage, trials coverage, promo's and update shows. Where is AC Uncovered shown other than SA, other sailing sites, and YT? I think it may have been better to get some of this coverage out more than the paid ACWS deal with NBC, but maybe once a month instead of every week. What are the numbers on this stuff?

Since we have to have sponsoship dollars, where is the exposure? They get skateboarding, snow skiing, and a lot of other 'extreme' sports on these outlets, where is the extreme sailing?

ETNZ very obviously does have a good grip on the sponsorship model, they are the only team doing it successfully.

Promos on the big NBC sister outlets are probably a bit early. The AC isn't ready for prime time yet. Maybe we will see something on the Today Show, probably during the weather, when the ACWS is in Newport or SFO, but there isn't a good enough story to tell yet for the big NBC outlets. The ACWS events don't happen on a consistent enough cycle, and there are not clearly definable personalities who are also going to give good TV.

Besides, NBC is going to have a very hard time getting the American audience engaged about the America's Cup without an American front and center as the focal point of the segment.

I think one of the NBC outlets they really want to target is Chelsea Lately. She has the female facebook audience that was the initial target. Not sure exactly who you'd send on to that show, but it has to be someone who can verbally joust with Chelsea. Larry would be the best one, but something tells me he'd not do a show like that. Hope to be surprised though.

#1643 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

ETNZ very obviously does have a good grip on the sponsorship model, they are the only team doing it successfully.

Promos on the big NBC sister outlets are probably a bit early. The AC isn't ready for prime time yet. Maybe we will see something on the Today Show, probably during the weather, when the ACWS is in Newport or SFO, but there isn't a good enough story to tell yet for the big NBC outlets. The ACWS events don't happen on a consistent enough cycle, and there are not clearly definable personalities who are also going to give good TV.

Besides, NBC is going to have a very hard time getting the American audience engaged about the America's Cup without an American front and center as the focal point of the segment.

I think one of the NBC outlets they really want to target is Chelsea Lately. She has the female facebook audience that was the initial target. Not sure exactly who you'd send on to that show, but it has to be someone who can verbally joust with Chelsea. Larry would be the best one, but something tells me he'd not do a show like that. Hope to be surprised though.

I do not see why some early blips of the ACWS action could not get a minute or so. Get TE or RC, someone who can generate some personality. Show some of that wave leaping action from Naples, the crash and burns. C'mon.................

#1644 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I do not see why some early blips of the ACWS action could not get a minute or so. Get TE or RC, someone who can generate some personality. Show some of that wave leaping action from Naples, the crash and burns. C'mon.................

While the media world has an insatiable appetite for content, there also has to be a compelling, and enduring, story if the goal is to get continuing coverage. For those of us who get it, we'd like to see all this on as many tv outlets as possible.

But the problem is, within our own sport, especially in the US, not enough people even know the story of AC 34 yet because the story isn't clearly defined. Is the ACWS about Fleet or Match Racing, I'm as close to all this as anyone outside of Oracle Racing and I can't figure it out.

Just sticking some pretty pictures of sailing on tv isn't going to help anyone at this point, in fact, it would be counterproductive to spend that access capital right now. A segment airs, even a minute which is an eternity on something like the Today Show, and if it doesn't get the right reaction, and especially if there isn't a consistent plan, a schedule, it makes it that much more difficult to get air time in the future.

When the 72 hits San Fran this summer, that will be a worthy story. The 72 in flying formation with Sean Tucker in the Oracle Stunt plane during fleet week, now we are talking about something very worthy of big tv coverage.

Now stick Chelsea Handler on the back of the 72 and you'll have a story that will go viral in a nanosecond.

#1645 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

The Sky programming
http://www1.skysport...t-sail-with-Sky

#1646 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

The Sky programming

I suppose we should be grateful still to have live YouTube in the UK then.

Murdoch - a major shareholder in BSkyB - isn't exactly flavour of the month in the UK and I won't be taking out a Sky subscription.

#1647 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

The Sky programming

I suppose we should be grateful still to have live YouTube in the UK then.

Murdoch - a major shareholder in BSkyB - isn't exactly flavour of the month in the UK and I won't be taking out a Sky subscription.

Murdoch isn't the flavor of the month ANYWHERE ! Bad karma there. Sky must be loosing viewers by the hour.

#1648 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

The Sky programming

I expect you are patting yourself on the back after mining this little nugget of world super league gold..

I won't even get into the ethics of russelworld getting into bed with the odious cunt murdoch, except to say that he makes larry and ernie look like angels.

Why don't you ask your mate ehman how many hundreds of $M's the dirty digger is paying Bernie for the rights to air 5hrs of live practice Friday, 5 hrs of live practice and qualitying on Saturday, and 6 hrs of the F1 race every 2 weeks....they are also airing 3 days live coverage of the upcoming test in Spain...

Which makes your annoucement of larryvision getting nothing for wsl and paying for the 'updates' pretty small potatoes in dirty digger land...

#1649 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Murdoch isn't the flavor of the month ANYWHERE ! Bad karma there. Sky must be loosing viewers by the hour.

It's a slow AC news day so may I rant please? Let's see we have:

Hacking the phone of a child murder victim
Hacking the phones of God knows how many others
Using journalists and private detectives to dig up dirt on any politician showing the temerity to want News Corp investigated, with menaces
With complete cynicism, while affecting remorse, closing the Sunday newspaper responsible for #1 above as a poisoned brand and almost instantly, launching another
Bribing police so they don't investigate any of the above
Bribing police to provide journalistic information
Using a convicted criminal as an investigator

And this from a company which owns several of the largest circulation papers in the UK, with a major shareholding in a monopoly satellite TV provider and bidding (until the wheels fell off) for a 100% holding. While James Murdoch speechified how holy and independent Sky News was versus the nasty BBC.

Have I missed anything? It makes me furious how close to complete domination of British media and politics this gang of crooks and creeps were allowed to get.

#1650 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

It's a slow AC news day so may I rant please? Let's see we have:

Hacking the phone of a child murder victim
Hacking the phones of God knows how many others
Using journalists and private detectives to dig up dirt on any politician showing the temerity to want News Corp investigated, with menaces
With complete cynicism, while affecting remorse, closing the Sunday newspaper responsible for #1 above as a poisoned brand and almost instantly, launching another
Bribing police so they don't investigate any of the above
Bribing police to provide journalistic information
Using a convicted criminal as an investigator

And this from a company which owns several of the largest circulation papers in the UK, with a major shareholding in a monopoly satellite TV provider and bidding (until the wheels fell off) for a 100% holding. While James Murdoch speechified how holy and independent Sky News was versus the nasty BBC.

Have I missed anything? It makes me furious how close to complete domination of British media and politics this gang of crooks and creeps were allowed to get.

Yeah, you forgot to list all the other sad loser sports events that are covered by Murdoch's various (world-wide not just UK) media outlets. (Hint - it's probably quicker to list those that are not).

"Journalists are scum" Shocker!!

#1651 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well, over here if you are going to watch NASCAR you are going to spend time on a FOX owned affiliate.

#1652 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

A Naples-timeframe article, new to me, about the new Mark/VIP boats, pretty jazzy
http://www.panbo.com...ant_a_ride.html

#1653 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

Promos on the big NBC sister outlets are probably a bit early. The AC isn't ready for prime time yet........

Besides, NBC is going to have a very hard time getting the American audience engaged about the America's Cup without an American front and center as the focal point of the segment.............

While the media world has an insatiable appetite for content, there also has to be a compelling, and enduring, story if the goal is to get continuing coverage..............

But the problem is, within our own sport, especially in the US, not enough people even know the story of AC 34 yet because the story isn't clearly defined............

Here's the hook for the US audience (pretending to be a TV promo guy):

"Many know Larry Ellison of Oracle fame. His team had to go to court and fight to right what he viewed as a wrong by the previous Cup holder, EB of Switzerland. The two billionaires staged a duel in the 33rd match with maximum AC sloop rigged multi-hulls, Bertarelli with his experienced team and their catamaran Alinghi 5, Ellison and his less experienced crew in the Trimaran USA 17. Against long odds challenging the defender and their years of multi-hull experience Ellison and his hired gun, undefeated AC leader Russell Coutts from New Zealand, assembled a legal, design, technology and sailing team that beat the defender 2 races to zip. This after a heart stopping falter in the starting gate of the first race, spotting the defender a huge lead that was steadily erased by the superior speed and perfomance of the American boat."

"Now, with the thrill of the victory behind them it is the Americans turn to defend the Cup against all challengers for their home yacht club, the Golden Gate YC from Ellison's home town of San Francisco, on the tricky and challenging waters of the SF bay. Many sailors from around the world have attempted to master these challenging conditions but the Bay has never given her secrets up easily."

"This time around the AC has also made a great leap forward, leaving behind the heavier and slower mono-hulls the America's Cup has been sailed in since its beginning, to high-tech wing sailed catamarans, building on the technolgy first used in 1988 by Dennis Conner, and the gains that have been made since then and during the last event in 2010. To aid in this transition a new sailing series has been developed, using the 'AC45' wing powered catamaran as a training vehicle to ramp-up the learning curve for the defender and potential challenger teams ahead of launching the bigger 72' wing powered beasts that are specified as the weapon of choice for the 34th match."

"Follow (enter TV outlet) as we see some history, and the future, of the America's Cup. Ellison's team were the champions with their win in 2010, at least 4 teams will be gunning to knock them off the mountaintop when the AC match is sailed in September 2013. The Oracle team will need all the advantage they can gain by sailing in their home waters. Part of the challenger fleet contains many who have sailed these waters before, chief among them SF homegrown Paul Cayard, leading the Artemis team of Torbin Tornquist from Sweden."

Yadda, yadda, yadda, so on, so on, and so on...............................................

All the above could be cut into a 5 minute or less spot, and then built-on with follow-up teasers along the way. No great production, use stock footage cut with current events and interviews, and you would have a spot that would have a chance to start generating some interest.

BTW, just now was another Volvo Ocean Race ad on the Sun Sports channel following a Rays game (a 5-0 win). This is the 3-4th one I have seen and I do not watch this channel very much. Somebody thinks a short spot like this is worthwhile. After baseball. Why not the AC?

Compared to the money being spent on the ACWS production, ACEA/ACRM, and the graphics (all worthwhile) putting a short spot together could not be that much money in the greater scheme of things, especially when stock footage can be used. The guys would never have to leave the studio, or fire-up a helicopter.

IF there is any interest, something in this vein seems to be needed to seed and fertilize it.

We're going to be there anyway. Are any of the others going to jump on board?

#1654 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

There's the Volvo ad again......................................

#1655 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

Promos on the big NBC sister outlets are probably a bit early. The AC isn't ready for prime time yet........

Besides, NBC is going to have a very hard time getting the American audience engaged about the America's Cup without an American front and center as the focal point of the segment.............

While the media world has an insatiable appetite for content, there also has to be a compelling, and enduring, story if the goal is to get continuing coverage..............

But the problem is, within our own sport, especially in the US, not enough people even know the story of AC 34 yet because the story isn't clearly defined............

Here's the hook for the US audience (pretending to be a TV promo guy):

"Many know Larry Ellison of Oracle fame. ......Yadda, yadda, yadda, so on, so on, and so on...............................................

All the above could be cut into a 5 minute or less spot, and then built-on with follow-up teasers along the way. No great production, use stock footage cut with current events and interviews, and you would have a spot that would have a chance to start generating some interest.

BTW, just now was another Volvo Ocean Race ad on the Sun Sports channel following a Rays game (a 5-0 win). This is the 3-4th one I have seen and I do not watch this channel very much. Somebody thinks a short spot like this is worthwhile. After baseball. Why not the AC?

Compared to the money being spent on the ACWS production, ACEA/ACRM, and the graphics (all worthwhile) putting a short spot together could not be that much money in the greater scheme of things, especially when stock footage can be used. The guys would never have to leave the studio, or fire-up a helicopter.

IF there is any interest, something in this vein seems to be needed to seed and fertilize it.

We're going to be there anyway. Are any of the others going to jump on board?

The Volvo spots are no doubt being paid for by Volvo.

And that is the current problem with any sort of similar AC promotion. Right now, when it comes to promoting anything about the ACWS or the AC, all of that is coming out of Larry's pocket.

Louis Vuitton is spending a huge amount of money right now in very well done print ads. Last week it was a inside front cover double truck. Heard the same ad was run in several european publications.

It is fundamental that the timing of a marketing campaign match the product distribution cycle. Right now, there is no real AC product to sell, certainly not routinely. Louis Vuitton ads are different, they first sell brand image, and they also have a watch to sell, which they feature in the ads. Any AC brand ads right now would be paid for by Larry.

The simple fact is there is no money iwithin ACEA for the sort of TV ads you are talking about. PR stuff to get on the Today show, that is a different thing. But to cut a promo piece and expect anyone to air it - not going to happen.

I suggest you ping Coutts with all this via his Facebook page. He needs to hear from the market.

#1656 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

The Volvo spots are no doubt being paid for by Volvo.

Volvo is the title sponsor of that event to be clear)...from a marketing perspective it is their product, to see their product, and not boat engines in the main.

LV is the title sponsor of the lead up event; but AC has nothing to compare. If Larry sponsors it it's the Oracle Americas Cup...I don't remember the last time I saw an Oracle Advertisement (30 second skip does not of course help here).

#1657 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

I don't remember the last time I saw an Oracle Advertisement

Not TV but full page, back cover of the Economist, every single week for years.

#1658 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Any hints at the ACWS, AC33 or AC34 here?

#1659 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Any hints at the ACWS, AC33 or AC34 here?

Well having said that, no Oracle advert on the back page this week!

No I don't remember them ever having anything to say about the AC. They were generally Sun-orientated and often IBM-knocking. Boring, really.

#1660 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Jack hit again...

Thanks mate!

#1661 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Jack hit again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K61LHfiTHE

Thanks mate!

What does all those #$&^%* symbols mean in the video??? :blink:

I've never seen those in any rules videos before......................

#1662 JackGriffin

JackGriffin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Jack hit again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K61LHfiTHE

Thanks mate!

Renn,
thanks for the kind words and the post here. If only I could crank these things out faster. I have a long list of Briefings to do... Any Photoshop, iMovie or FCP wizards out there who want to help? :)

#1663 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

#1664 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

http://vimeo.com/m/41207052

Sorry, this video does not exist.

What was it?

#1665 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

http://vimeo.com/m/41207052

Sorry, this video does not exist.

What was it?

Try this Renn. Stingray posted the link from his phone and the link was for the mobile version.

#1666 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Tanks a bundle, k-j!

#1667 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,655 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Tanks a bundle, k-j!

+1, hope you enjoyed the corrected link.

Enjoyed that footage, in part for the very Rennie-like accent.

#1668 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Especially for me Posted Image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEvI7K1O1rc