1667 replies to this topic

#101 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

Interesting, it looks that somebody at ACEA either reads SA or get to the same conclusion of some posters here.
They are recruiting. Did they or will they fire some executives ?

http://www.americascup.com/en/G/F/AC-Job-Portal/View-Available-Positions/

Interestingly they ask for some behaviour and values more in line with good and long term business.

"......is responsible for the integrity of all aspects of ACEA’s programs and events and for maintaining the reputation of ACEA and the host city.
The Sales & Marketing Coordinator is also responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with ACEA activities maintains the highest standard of integrity and does not negatively impact the relationship between ACEA, its management and staff, the host city, its sponsors, and or constituents."

#102 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

An almost ten minute segment, that includes some of an already-posted newsclip. fwiw,

Uploaded by segnideitempi on Oct 2, 2011

2011-09-29.07.32.09 - Buongiorno Regione - America's Cup Napoli -
Presidente dell'Unione Industriali di Napoli Paolo Graziano -
Riccardo Marone Presidente di Bagnolifutura e il
Presidente del Circolo Canottieri di Napoli Curzio Buonaiuto
La città di Napoli ha raggiunto un accordo per ospitare due eventi dell'America's Cup World Series: il primo sarà nell'aprile 2012,
il secondo nel maggio 2013.

Ogni tappa dell'AC World Series si compone di una serie di eventi comprendenti regate di flotta, duelli di match race e prove di velocità che vedono impegnati nove AC45 identici. Questi eventi offrono l'opportunità di vedere impegnati sullo stesso campo di regata tutti i protagonisti della America's Cup World Series 2011-2012.

#103 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

Related, some figures that may suggest what the 'deal' is. (Italian)

http://www.napolipun...elibera 300.pdf

#104 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

So, it's official: they're paying €5M per event. Words fail me

#105 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

In Venice, was the €8m for two? I forget.

#106 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

In Venice, was the €8m for two? I forget.

Apparently yes, with an €5M bond

#107 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Did they pay ? ;)

#108 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Did they pay ? ;)

Not quite: says there payment terms are being renegotiated ..

#109 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:wtf is one warning points?

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

Did they pay ? ;)

Re-negotiation sounds like they're in the groove to be excused by GGYC.

#110 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

Did they pay ? ;)

they have agreed on the 5,000,000 part but its been changed to Lira :)

#111 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:wtf is one warning points?

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Did they pay ? ;)

they have agreed on the 5,000,000 part but its been changed to Lira :)

Either that or they're expecting Germany to pay.

#112 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Did they pay ? ;)

I have been doing business with Italians. Everything is fine at the beginning, and then...... they begin to negotiate.

#113 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

Richard Worth's future ? well...Arx tarpeia Capitoli proxima.

#114 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:39 AM

R worth --his arse is in trouble for sure

and personally liable

hey TC wasnt proximo the guy on gladiator movie who was freed and then killed later for helping the Spaniard

he had that wood sword- kinda like worth-less of acea alphabet defendants --live by the sword -die by sword

wave the wood sword or oracakle and someone with a real sword might cut them deep

on your bizness dealings with italians can bertarelli be doing anything behind the scenes or .....

cheers

#115 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:36 AM

and personally liable

hey TC wasnt proximo the guy on gladiator movie who was freed and then killed later for helping the Spaniard

he had that wood sword- kinda like worth-less of acea alphabet defendants --live by the sword -die by sword

wave the wood sword or oracakle and someone with a real sword might cut them deep

on your bizness dealings with italians can bertarelli be doing anything behind the scenes or .....

cheers

Gladiator is one of my top 5 movies. His name is Maximus, wonderfully played by the Aussie Russell Crowe.

As I am not sure our preferred sailor understands the proverb , so I'll try to explain,......... before Xlot.

The Tarpeian rock was the place where criminals and defeated Roman generals had to jump to their death.
It can be translated as: the capitol (where emperors had their palace) is close to the Tarpeian rock.

Which means, the higher you climb, the higher you can fall to your death. That was true for many heads of state or business men. Could be true too for Worth, if the 4 Italian deals don't work out as planned. Larry wil ask his head to TE before his is endengered.

No, I have nothing to do with Ernesto. I just found, at the time that, even if far from perfect, he was injustly attacked by GGYC which behaviour would be worse, which is the case.

However, as a multi fan, I think that AC33 was a turning point for the future of AC.

Not for the future of sailing though as multis existed before and will thrive aside of the AC because of its restricted rules.

#116 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:48 AM

and personally liable

cheers

Gladiator is one of my top 5 movies. His name is Maximus, wonderfully played by the Aussie Russell Crowe.

As I am not sure our preferred sailor understands the proverb , so I'll try to explain,......... before Xlot.

The Tarpeian rock was the place where criminals and defeated Roman generals had to jump to their death.
It can be translated as: the capitol (where emperors had their palace) is close to the Tarpeian rock.

Which means, the higher you climb, the higher you can fall to your death. That was true for many heads of state or business men. Could be true too for Worth, if the 4 Italian deals don't work out as planned. Larry wil ask his head to TE before his is endengered.

No, I have nothing to do with Ernesto. I just found, at the time that, even if far from perfect, he was injustly attacked by GGYC which behaviour would be worse, which is the case.

However, as a multi fan, I think that AC33 was a turning point for the future of AC.

Not for the future of sailing though as multis existed before and will thrive aside of the AC because of its restricted rules.

I was right

also I wasnt accusing you of working with eb just asking if you think or heard he was working the I connection

cheers

ps explaining for sw soiler AKA GGYC FLAG ORIFACE=ORIFICE the culture is very compassionate on your part

maybe thats the way to stop evil gandhi style

http://gladiator2000...ntonius_Proximo

#117 furling

furling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

You guys need a room..;)

#118 Sailer X

Sailer X

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

http://napoli.repubb...a_vip-22642157/

G-trans
And also yesterday were initiated guarantees, for a total of 4 million euros, Banco di Napoli: the Institute will release the money before October 14, as called for ACEA, the company that operates the sailing event (while 1 million has already been paid cash by the City, Region and Province)

Also
http://www.napolitod...up-societa.html

http://www.corriered...poli si prepara

#119 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

it's good ole' panem et circenses again... they surely forgot about Modus omnibus in rebus, and seen from history they must have thought that it was time to pull another bis repitita placent ...and anyhow, Qui audet adipiscitur, and Possunt quia posse videntur, and since our roman citizens surely think they are Nulli secundus at Aut viam inveniam aut faciam they will surely go Per aspera ad astra!

all that to say : what's new ?
;)

#120 Sailer X

Sailer X

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

it's good ole' panem et circenses again... they surely forgot about Modus omnibus in rebus, and seen from history they must have thought that it was time to pull another bis repitita placent ...and anyhow, Qui audet adipiscitur, and Possunt quia posse videntur, and since our roman citizens surely think they are Nulli secundus at Aut viam inveniam aut faciam they will surely go Per aspera ad astra!

;)

I would have thought
Illegitimi non carborundum

was more appropriate for this forum

#121 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

;)

I would have thought

and gaudeamus igitur ... but maybe that one is more appropriate in the Icarus thread :D

#122 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,250 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

and gaudeamus igitur ...

More a case of suspiria de profundis for some of us.

#123 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

starting at 1:40 'How to speak with your hands' lesson

#124 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:40 AM

;)

I would have thought

and gaudeamus igitur ... but maybe that one is more appropriate in the Icarus thread :D

Aquila delenda est :angry:.

#125 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

Some ML/ACWS speculation

http://217.169.105.53/new_front_detail.php?id_new=7809

raw g-tran

AMERICA'S CUP WORLD SERIES: THERE WILL BE 'TOO MASCALZONE?
06 ottobre 11 October 6, 11 Vincenzo Onorato potrebbe partecipare all'America's Cup World Series il prossimo anno o almeno alla tappa napoletana che si terrà ad aprile.“Escludo categoricamente di voler rientrare in Coppa America, ha commentato il patron di Mascalzone, quando la città di Napoli ha manifestato l'interesse di poter contare su un team napoletano alla tappa dell'America's Cup World Series che si correrà nel Golfo nel 2012, ho dato la mia disponibilità a partecipare con Mascalzone Latino”. Vincenzo Onorato could participate in the America's Cup World Series the next year or at least to the stage to be held in Naples in April. "Categorically excludes want to return to America's Cup, said the owner of Mascalzone, when the city of Naples has revealed the ' interest to have a team of Naples to stage the America's Cup World Series that will take place in the Gulf in 2012, I gave my willingness to participate with Mascalzone Latino. " Ricordiamo che l'armatore partenopeo a maggio aveva deciso di ritirarsi definitivamente dalla 34° America's Cup (la prima volta nella storia della Coppa che il Challenger of Record cioè rappresentante degli sfidanti si ritira) per mancanza di fondi. We recall that in May the Neapolitan ship owner had decided to retire permanently from the 34th America's Cup (the first time in the history of the Cup Challenger of Record that is representative of the challengers withdrew) due to lack of funds. A questo punto gli AC 45 in gara nel 2012 potrebbero essere addirittura tre: Luna Rossa, Mascalzone Latino e un team napoletano a cui stanno lavorando imprenditori partenopei insieme a Enti locali e circoli velici napoletani. At this point the AC 45 in the race in 2012 could be even three: Luna Rossa, Mascalzone Latino and Team Neapolitan Neapolitan entrepreneurs who are working together with local authorities and sailing clubs in Naples.

#126 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

How long before we start a Luna Rossa thread? They could even be in San Diego by some of the Italian-sourced rumors.

One from today, no San Diego mention but a respectable publication

http://translate.goo...&ID_sezione=753

#127 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

^^

Yawn. Something else not too recent but still interesting from the same source though, from our old friend BB!

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lastampa.it%2F_web%2Fcmstp%2Ftmplrubriche%2Fmare%2Fgrubrica.asp%3FID_blog%3D97%26ID_articolo%3D2555%26ID_sezione%3D753&anno=2

Edit: cannot make it work, look up on Sept 13 "AC72s and the Louis Vuitton contract"

In Porto Cervo a withering joke from Brad Butterworth (Alinghi). They ask him to comment on the new America's Cup, he opts out. "I do not want." So, they ask him to ask a question to reporters. He does not hesitate: "How many are there in building A72?". Translation: how many big brothers we will see more of the current AC42 (AC72 the multihulls are selected for Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup, which will take over the "small" with which we are currently fighting the World Series)? Three, according to Butterworth. But also told me that Grant Dalton, the guru of TNZ, a month ago in Lisbon: the Louis Vuitton Cup will be something intimate, only New Zealand and Sweden's Artemis, Oracle will challenge the winner. May arise, however, or so they say, if it was confirmed the presence of only two teams in the challengers contest, contractual problems with Louis Vuitton ...

#128 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

^^

Yawn. Something else not too recent but still interesting from the same source though, from our old friend BB!

http://translate.goo.....ne=753&anno=2

Edit: cannot make it work, look up on Sept 13 "AC72s and the Louis Vuitton contract"

In Porto Cervo a withering joke from Brad Butterworth (Alinghi). They ask him to comment on the new America's Cup, he opts out. "I do not want." So, they ask him to ask a question to reporters. He does not hesitate: "How many are there in building A72?". Translation: how many big brothers we will see more of the current AC42 (AC72 the multihulls are selected for Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup, which will take over the "small" with which we are currently fighting the World Series)? Three, according to Butterworth. But also told me that Grant Dalton, the guru of TNZ, a month ago in Lisbon: the Louis Vuitton Cup will be something intimate, only New Zealand and Sweden's Artemis, Oracle will challenge the winner. May arise, however, or so they say, if it was confirmed the presence of only two teams in the challengers contest, contractual problems with Louis Vuitton ...

Yep, seen that one, it came on the heels of Trapani, it's likely/possible that EB was there in Porto Cervo too, and the date coincides with a 'summit' that Soldini from Venice had mentioned, and maybe LR's Sirena too. EB also (lightly) trashed AC34 in comments while in Trapani, including how nothing could ever top the AC32 Act he brought to Trapani, so it's probably just the good old boys trashing everything they can about AC34 now that they've lost it :)

GD's comments I take more seriously, but then he does not know either what various teams' prospects might be - and he readily admits as much.

As to contractual problems with LV (or with SF) well I suppose they take great joy in their fantasy that LE would be bothered by any of that! There's no love lost between EB and LV either...

But back to the post, in La Stampa, headlined "Luna Rossa America's Cup closer" - and quoting authoritative sources. This is about the tenth pretty strong rumor of late that LR is going to get into the ACWS, with several suggesting he has already also agreed an AC34 Challenge behind the scenes. We will have to wait for Bertelli to decide if/when to announce it, but my hunch is that it already is a done deal. Despite what BB might want him not to do :lol:

Some real context
http://www.swas.polito.it/services/Rassegna_Stampa/articolo.asp?id=1317878186L9-new.pdf

#129 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Are there any boats still available or are there any more being built ?

#130 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

All we have so far unless someone chimes in with better, is:

13 built
12 seen at various times (including OR's two in SF)

WT had been using Boat 1 in Cascais; probably in Plymouth too.

The boat VC almost got, was likely cannibalized in Plymouth, the port hull went to GCR and the wing to TC.

They should have enough time after arrival to SD to get all ten sailable, w 9 teams listed, leaving a spare. And the 13th could show too, since it is apparently complete and since someone must have ordered it.

So... the numbers could to my reckoning handle two more entries, but would leave no spare unless a SF boat were flown down.

I expect the same teams in SD as we saw in Plymouth. My purely speculative choices for an extra team that soon would be, in order, one of Oman, Australia, or Luna Rossa. All being long shots. Any other ideas?

edit: and my hunch is an LR boat will be #14, by the timing of Bertelli's possible decision, which I put at having been made some time between Plymouth and late last week, after #13 had been completed for whoever. The Venice article (PDF) somewhere above, that suggested a fresh start to the scoring for a 2012 ACWS season having been agreed, is a quite authoritative piece. The one today quoting Vincenzo is too, although I suspect he would be a part of, not in addition to, the Naples effort mentioned. So that could get #15 into construction. Oman, or any other additionals, go to 16 or above that unless they (say, Oman) are who ordered #13 already and it is not someone's second boat.

#131 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

As yet no one has confirmed that production has resumed on AC 45's which might put a damper on the proceedings. I posted this question to the NZ locals but nothing back as yet. Anybody have news on this ?

#132 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

There are at least two Kiwi boat builders here who have built AC45 components, so yes. Cmon guys, please post or PM to one of us if you know of a #14 in the works?

#133 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

How long before we start a Luna Rossa thread? They could even be in San Diego by some of the Italian-sourced rumors.

One from today, no San Diego mention but a respectable publication

http://translate.goo...D_sezione%3D753

With or whithout an AC45 ?

#134 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

^ the more credible rumors have LR's start being at the first event of 2012.

#135 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

Something on a possible ACWS Team Naples, either with or without their own boat, and entered only in the Naples races or beyond.

http://translate.goo...napoletano.html

#136 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Presser now scheduled on Oct 17, 09:00. The location (Castel dell'Ovo) is splendid, but why the ungodly hour?

#137 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Presser now scheduled on Oct 17, 09:00. The location (Castel dell'Ovo) is splendid, but why the ungodly hour?

Xlot you must be loving this ... you'll be able to start the Countdown and News from threads from Italia.

#138 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

^^

Not quite - the thought that Venice and mainly Naples were ACEA's willing dupes makes my blood boil ..

#139 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

^^^ In Your money and your estimation of the payback, right? Lol

Obviously Naples and Venice have their own calculations or else would not have competed for it and signed to it. It takes two to party. That money is small in the big aquarium if you are just a cold-blooded, relative minnow.

The Naples sharks are beginning to impress.

#140 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,250 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

That money is small in the big aquarium if you are just a cold-blooded, relative minnow.

Not really. The annual revenue of the city of Plymouth, for example, is a little over US$300M equivalent. The vast majority of expenditure is dictated by legislation and the discretionary spend is a small % of that. A figure of a few $M to support an event is therefore a very significant decision indeed. I realise the budgets of Naples and Venice will be larger but even so.....

Anyone who follows the news will also be aware that government expenditures in most countries are under considerable pressure right now.

Obviously Naples and Venice have their own calculations or else would not have competed for it and signed to it.

Hmmm. Well possibly I've met more local government politicians than you (and in a very small way, I am one). Quality of decision making and motivations aren't always stellar.

#141 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

That money is small in the big aquarium if you are just a cold-blooded, relative minnow.

Not really. The annual revenue of the city of Plymouth, for example, is a little over US$300M equivalent. The vast majority of expenditure is dictated by legislation and the discretionary spend is a small % of that. A figure of a few $M to support an event is therefore a very significant decision indeed. I realise the budgets of Naples and Venice will be larger but even so.....

Anyone who follows the news will also be aware that government expenditures in most countries are under considerable pressure right now.

Obviously Naples and Venice have their own calculations or else would not have competed for it and signed to it.

Hmmm. Well possibly I've met more local government politicians than you (and in a very small way, I am one). Quality of decision making and motivations aren't always stellar.

Not only the quality is dubious, also the intention behind the calculation. You can prove anything with a correctly forged statistic/study/budget calc.

#142 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

And that, applied to lower latitudes, is the British understatement of the year ..

Actually, I don't mind Venice too much: formally, it's private sponsors who are supposed to pick up the €8M tab - the City is on the hook for "just" the €5M bond but at any rate they're rich, a few more cruise ships and they'll be even, the place's become DisneyWorld anyway.
The real gripe is (lack of) wind: when Raul Gardini got to the Cup, he famously said "if we win, we'll do the next AC in Venice - even if we have to install fans"

What, to my mind, is nothing short of obscene is Naples - and I think there's a fitting comparison to make you Yanks understand:

What would you say if New Orleans had upstaged San Diego or Newport by putting in a $7M bid?

#143 roca

roca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

well said as usual dog..
now transfer these concepts from a small english town to Neaples and you get a figure ... probably you can't even imagine what the environment is there, it is tough to understand from here after years. Still let's hope it will generate something good too.

#144 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

:lol:

What, government not making great decisions? And the higher up you get, it seems the worse it gets.

#145 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

A recent newsclip from Naples, in Italian - is anything interesting said?

http://www.metronapo...e=metronapolitw

#146 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

^^

No, it says the Province met with sailing clubs representatives - clueless

#147 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

The event tomorrow will be live streamed. X, I hope you are awake at that ungodly hour? :)

Link at the bottom of here
http://www.ilmattino...66661&sez=SPORT

#148 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

As yet no one has confirmed that production has resumed on AC 45's which might put a damper on the proceedings. I posted this question to the NZ locals but nothing back as yet. Anybody have news on this ?

I am going up to Warkworth.

But not until November.

Why doesn't someone ask Tim Smyth?

#149 natterjack

natterjack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:The America's Cup

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

Will attend the press conference in Naples today. Apparently 300 people are expected, although with a big football match between Napoli and Bayern Munich tomorrow a lot of sports journalists are in town already. I guess more than a few casually interested writers
will be there.

#150 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:54 AM

The event tomorrow will be live streamed. X, I hope you are awake at that ungodly hour? :)

Disgusting: triumph of small-time politics, empty words, no news. Connection was balky, have a feeling questions were cut short

Tellingly, they tried to drag Francesco De Angelis into it. But he - ever a serious person - declined abruptly on camera

#151 natterjack

natterjack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:The America's Cup

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Have to disagree that there was no news. Real news about the very strong probability of an Italian entry, also from the post-event chatter, which is always more interesting than the podium posturing. Press conference attendance was 400 people, mostly local politicians and dignitaries, definitely not all journalists, but obvious positive enthusiasm for the ambition of local authorities to do something good for a maligned city.

#152 Sailer X

Sailer X

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

http://www.agi.it/en...n_america_s_cup

nice and Naples will establish a twinship to get an Italian boat and crew to take part in America's Cup. The Cup is now in its 34th edition. The statement was made during the official presentation of the two Naples-based rounds of the world's most presitigious sailing competition by Paolo Graziano, the Chairman of Neapolitan industrialists and promoter of the ad hoc partnership set up by the Regional, Municipal and Provincial Administrations and Neapolitan entrepreneurs to organize the regatas scheduled to take place in the Bay of Naples from April 2012 through to May 2013.

#153 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

http://www.agi.it/en...n_america_s_cup

nice and Naples will establish a twinship to get an Italian boat and crew to take part in America's Cup. The Cup is now in its 34th edition. The statement was made during the official presentation of the two Naples-based rounds of the world's most presitigious sailing competition by Paolo Graziano, the Chairman of Neapolitan industrialists and promoter of the ad hoc partnership set up by the Regional, Municipal and Provincial Administrations and Neapolitan entrepreneurs to organize the regatas scheduled to take place in the Bay of Naples from April 2012 through to May 2013.

So, is there an Italian challenge?

Yes or no?

#154 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

I am going up to Warkworth.

But not until November.

Why doesn't someone ask Tim Smyth?

We've already got plenty of chiefs TK, what's missing are the indians. Since you're undoubtedly "boots on the ground", may I suggest you move your respectable backside sooner?

Have to disagree that there was no news. Real news about the very strong probability of an Italian entry, also from the post-event chatter, which is always more interesting than the podium posturing. Press conference attendance was 400 people, mostly local politicians and dignitaries, definitely not all journalists, but obvious positive enthusiasm for the ambition of local authorities to do something good for a maligned city.

Please. The near-certain Italian entry - for the WS, not the LVC - is LR which has nothing to do with Naples. Apart from that, there's idiotic talk of Naples and Venice pooling sponsors to charter a boat for the two events. You be the judge of how realistic that is.

#155 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

http://www.americasc...C-World-Series/

Event comes to Naples April 7-15, 2012 and May 11-19, 2013

Event organizers came together today to celebrate Naples’ successful bid to host the America’s Cup World Series, an event that will bring the top sailors in the world to Italy in April 2012 and May 2013.

The race village will be in Bagnoli, a western, seaside district of Naples that is undergoing significant regeneration. The America’s Cup World Series events are expected to accelerate and contribute to that process.

Paolo Graziano, President of Naples Industrial Union and CEO of ‘ACN srl’, the NewCo in charge of the event, said: “Naples is in the process of renewing its image. To do this, you must set high targets and the America’s Cup World Series is the perfect event for us. The two events we have secured will bring resources to Naples and draw international media attention. This agreement is an important step to re-launch Naples and the Region of Campania.”

#156 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

Certainly was a big audience, as seen in this video starting around 2:00.

The first question comes from (iirc) il Mattino, at around 27:00, and concerns if they will try get a Napoli entry. Graziano addresses it for 2 or 3 minutes. Later, the mention of Francesco de Angeles gets big applause, and then he speaks starting at around 33:00, to more applause. Impressive event, far bigger than what Cascais or Plymouth did in their announcements. That castle looks cool too.

edit: and in Worth's comments he mentions 9 boats currently, "with more coming."

edit2: from here [sic] ''With the help of Richard Worth, we have the availability 'of the boat, "said Graziano thanking the President of the America's Cup Event Authority." Now - he added - we are working to put on the crew and find sponsors for a team can not only participate, but to get ahead in the standings.''

#157 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

More from the rumor mill, g-tran from this

The Neapolitan public, in general, and Italian, will certainly be "hot" and concerned, especially since there are rumors of an Italian boat for at least the steps of our house, and Francesco De Angelis (the former skipper of Luna Rossa) would be in pole position position as project manager. Con buona probabilità ci sarà anche un team italiano guidato dallo skipper Alberto Barovier ed è data come assai probabile la presenza di un AC45 Luna Rossa. In all probability there will be an Italian team led by skipper Alberto Barovier and is given as the presence of a highly probable AC45 Luna Rossa.

edit, a little more in this g-tran

#158 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

from at here

Posted Image

a few more details here

#159 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

A couple newish promo pieces

in English

same but with Italian

Newsclip from Naples

Il grande evento sportivo, che vedrà, ad aprile 2012 e a maggio 2013, la presenza in città dei migliori velisti del mondo, è stato annunciato dal Presidente della Regione Campania, Stefano Caldoro, dal sindaco di Napoli, Luigi De Magistris, dal Presidente della Provincia, Luigi Cesaro, dal Presidente dell'Unione Industriali di Napoli, Paolo Graziano, oltre che da Richard Worth, Presidente dell'America's Cup Event Authority.

"Un anno fa le prime idee con Graziano, oggi la conferenza dell'evento internazionale. Il tutto accolto e contraddistinto da collaborazione istituzionale". Queste le parole di Caldoro, soddisfatto del risultato raggiunto e della nuova immagine che la Campania regalerà al mondo.

Another

Un gruppo di cittadini dell'Assise di Bagnoli ha manifestato il proprio dissenso nei confronti dell'organizzazione delle due tappe napoletane dell'America's Cup al termine della conferenza di presentazione dell'evento velico.

#160 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

Later, the mention of Francesco de Angeles gets big applause, and then he speaks starting at around 33:00, to more applause.

Please understand this is deeply depressing for me, so this will be my final comment on the thread.

De Angelis didn't ask a question, he was dragged in by a journo and then by the speaker who said he was part of the committee. He talks for exactly 30", beginning with "I'm surprised to learn I'm involved" and then essentially wishing good luck. The speaker then says that of course Francesco will be involved, if he wants to.

#161 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Later, the mention of Francesco de Angeles gets big applause, and then he speaks starting at around 33:00, to more applause.

Please understand this is deeply depressing for me, so this will be my final comment on the thread.

De Angelis didn't ask a question, he was dragged in by a journo and then by the speaker who said he was part of the committee. He talks for exactly 30", beginning with "I'm surprised to learn I'm involved" and then essentially wishing good luck. The speaker then says that of course Francesco will be involved, if he wants to.

Interesting that spinbot now considers it nessacary and himself qualified to spin up vids in languages he doesn't understand...

#162 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yes, I do realize the use of public funds is a very big source of contention for you. But the much larger money, the 'regeneration funds,' are European are they not? Anyway.. Perhaps we will need a fresh thread once the action in Naples draws near - assuming they really can get their act together on the Bagnoli site.

Yes, the role of 'organizer' seems to be being attributed by others, not him, even in the couple articles I've seen where he praises the selection of Naples, and even says positive things of the likely race conditions that time of year. So.. who knows what if any role he will play.

The guy who struck me as being featured rather prominently in the videos, and also in the later interviews, was de Laurentiis. He owns the local football team, right? They have a game against Palermo (or Monaco?) tomorrow night, Worth alluded to it and was, I think, presented a Naples football team jersey. Maybe he, de Laurentiis, will have the larger role in whatever happens boat-wise.

This may well be a reporter's error, or else a mistranslation? From here,

Ma c'è qualcosa che rende davvero speciale l'appuntamento di maggio 2013: a Napoli saranno individuati i team che, successivamente, a San Francisco disputeranno la Louis Vuitton Cup e quindi le finali dell'America's Cup vera e propria. But there is something really special that makes the appointment in May 2013 in Naples team that will be identified later in San Francisco, compete in the Louis Vuitton Cup finals and then the America's Cup itself.

#163 roca

roca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Press conference attendance was 400 people, mostly local politicians and dignitaries, definitely not all journalists, but obvious positive enthusiasm for the ambition of local authorities to do something good for a maligned city.

this is really hilarious

#164 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

Morituri te salutant...

http://www.liveleak....=4a7_1319006980

#165 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

A quite nice effort in this one. (and includes FdA from 7:30-8:30, an ex-ML related trimmer from 10:00-12:00, and a mention of LR at the end)

#166 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Kind of topical, as in signs of a turnaround in Naples

http://translate.goo...POLI&ssez=CITTA

Similar
http://translate.goo...aspx?news=10961

#167 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

As it was to be expected, problems (building permit, backfill contamination) for the Bagnoli site. They are now mentioning Nisida - the small island just South - as a possible alternative. With zero access.

My guess: wherever the base, races will be in front of Lungomare Caracciolo

#168 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

Tried to scan a couple of g-trans last night, is the latest issue having to wait for contaminant readings before knowing how to proceed? Sounds like lawsuit city...

Agreed that your initial reaction about it being relocated may have been a great call.

#169 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

^^ gtran of x's link
http://translate.goo...1050&sez=NAPOLI

#170 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

Great piece

The Italian Job
http://www.americasc...he-Italian-Job/

#171 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

More on the almost inevitable failure to get the Bagnoli site cleaned and built by April, and some possible repercussions in Naples

http://translate.goo...ericas-cup.html

#172 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

More on the almost inevitable failure to get the Bagnoli site cleaned and built by April, and some possible repercussions in Naples

http://translate.goo...ericas-cup.html

The google translations of Italian suck.

#173 PDCWines

PDCWines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, America's Cup,Volvo Ocean Race, Multi-hulls, Italy

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

I did find it surprising that "The Italian Job" article barely made mention of Naples- considering the highly publicized press conference. The TIJ article's main focus was on Venice The Giro d'Italia ventured into southern Italy & Sicily this year....RARE! But surely the powers that be will "find a way" for Napoli too. Fingers crossed.

#174 PDCWines

PDCWines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

From an Italian newscast posted near the end of November- Sounds like the race in Naples is not dead in the water, but the development project to build the new pier in Bagnoli is- due to construction delays. The event space will potentially be moved to the piers of Isola di Nisida south east of Bagnoli pending approval.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/9zGAEhqTrU4

UPDATE: Just found a news post from yesterday. Bagnoli is polluted (confirming what was mentioned earlier in this forum) and the event is now likely to be moved to Molo San Vincenzo near Santa Lucia (nicer surroundings too!)

#175 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

The HR Constitution cargo ship entered the port of Valencia at approximately 1pm on Wednesday. Sorry for the quality of the photo, it was taken from the beach:

Posted Image

#176 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

Now that is not known the exact location of the base in Naples, it is possible will be downloaded a lot of material in Valencia. If not all. The intended plan was to download first in Naples and then in Valencia. It seems logical that the expected load to be downloaded in Valencia was stowed below.

#177 saulnier

saulnier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Let's hoPe there won't BE any strIke for the garbage transport like thé one theyhad 2 years ago during 3 months The army was called to rescue and carry out town all the mess. Lets ad some " combinatione" and thé event will cost LE a bunch

#178 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

^^ True.

And even if they did have the new location in Naples chosen, and I believe they do, then: what's the hurry to get there anyway? It always made sense to go to Valencia first, they may even have packed up that way in San Diego.

Looking forward to the action in Valencia, they better damn well keep us entertained on ~some~ level from there! :)

#179 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

http://www.americasc...ng-in-Valencia/

The HR Constitution - the cargo ship that has served as the main mode of transport between America's Cup World Series venues - has arrived in Valencia where it will discharge its cargo.

All of the 'materiel' on the ship will be offloaded in Valencia before the HR Constitution is returned to its owners in time for Christmas.

"We took the decision to land the equipment in Valencia, after considering several factors," explained Regatta Director Iain Murray. "There is a possibility for a number of teams to train together in Valencia, given the local infrastructure from the previous America's Cups there.

"And for ACRM, Valencia is also an ideal place for us to undertake remedial maintenance work on our fleet of support boats and equipment. Several of our employees live in Valencia, making it even more convenient."

The America's Cup has secured some 2,500 square meters of space in the Port to store all the cargo and to complete the work on the support boats.

According to Andy Hindley, the Chief Operating Officer for America's Cup Race Management, the use of the HR Constitution to ship the America's Cup World Series fleet from Portugal, to the UK, to San Diego and back to Europe this year has been a winning formula.

"The chartered vessel has been a great success and delivered the logistics needed better than we hoped," Hindley said.

Following a three month stop in Valencia, all the equipment will be shipped out from Valencia in the middle of March, in time for the start of the World Series event in Naples, Italy on April 7, 2012.

This week, representatives from the America's Cup are in the Italian city on a site visit, continuing with preparations for the Naples regatta.

#180 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

And if Naples did not come to meet deadlines ... the ACWS will be in Valencia. One way to be in a strong position against the many waves of Naples

#181 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

And if Naples did not come to meet deadlines ... the ACWS will be in Valencia. One way to be in a strong position against the many waves of Naples

I suppose they could take up X's suggestion, to run stadium racing inside the Darsena?

#182 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:48 AM

I suppose they could take up X's suggestion, to run stadium racing inside the Darsena?

That would be one way to get the nascar type crashes you guys crave...

#183 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

It was intended as a jab to X's ribs. He, having a demonstrated sense of humor, is fully capable of getting and taking it even if that went above your own head.

The comment was also intended to point out that, unlike in the Bay of Naples, there is no natural stadium in Valencia. While the next 3 months may give momentum to Valencia being more prominent than we'd originally expected, the lack of a geographic stadium combined with the facts that (importantly) OR, and ETNZ and LR, and possibly China, will be exceptions to the Valencia fleet, all suggest against an ACWS being held there.

If you fantasize that the post was all about me, then you failed miserably - again. ;) Watch Plymouth Sunday then come back with an interesting critique arguing the point if you can.

edit: actually, I dare anyone to point to a better race than Plymouth on Sunday, your 'Nascar' underwear hangup problems or not. That race absolutely f'ing rocked.

#184 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

FV: official now, races will be downtown in front of Lungomare Caracciolo, with the bases on the rotunda in the middle. Some work will be carried out, but very tight - still from the beginning it was the only, logical possibility.

#185 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Who cares if VLC has a stadium or not, because there shouldn't be too many on site spectators anyway for the convenience of the few that will watch, Since it's all about TV/web figures, the AC45s can race way out at sea, as long as the pictures can be transmitted into the interweb, (See, I slowly understand the concept Posted Image.)

#186 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

It was intended as a jab to X's ribs. He, having a demonstrated sense of humor, is fully capable of getting and taking it even if that went above your own head.

The comment was also intended to point out that, unlike in the Bay of Naples, there is no natural stadium in Valencia. While the next 3 months may give momentum to Valencia being more prominent than we'd originally expected, the lack of a geographic stadium combined with the facts that (importantly) OR, and ETNZ and LR, and possibly China, will be exceptions to the Valencia fleet, all suggest against an ACWS being held there.

If you fantasize that the post was all about me, then you failed miserably - again. ;) Watch Plymouth Sunday then come back with an interesting critique arguing the point if you can.

edit: actually, I dare anyone to point to a better race than Plymouth on Sunday, your 'Nascar' underwear hangup problems or not. That race absolutely f'ing rocked.

Stadium racing is the current buzzword but SD showed that some stadiums are better than others..of course it was good for you that not many turned up to watch because it meant you had plenty of space...

I don't see Rita handing over 5M to the russel show for a world series of the world race any time soon, so it doesn't matter that the best half of the field with the {important!} exception of China team will not be there..
Yea..Plymouth had some good races..but it would have taken a free Stones concert there for it to absolutely fucking rock...

Not sure what the fuck you are talking about with my 'nascar underwear problems', but unlike you I have never thought that sailboat racing needs crashes or overturned boats to be good...and look forward to your spin when someone gets hurt...

#187 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Nobody wants see see people get hurt. Unfortunately Vasilij did hurt a hand in the Artemis collision, and (that one guy) injured his ribs in RC's SF flip; but so far it has been fairly safe, best as I know.

The best part of the Plymouth Sunday race was between ORS, ETNZ, and ORC. It did rock!

Agreed that Rita has no money to pay for an event, but otoh some part of the circus is already in town anyway. Maybe they can do some limited exhibitionism for the locals.

#188 PDCWines

PDCWines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

FV: official now, races will be downtown in front of Lungomare Caracciolo, with the bases on the rotunda in the middle. Some work will be carried out, but very tight - still from the beginning it was the only, logical possibility.

Awesome- happy to hear the location has been confirmed! Google street view from the rotunda - http://maps.google.c...162.04,,0,-0.42

#189 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Valencia.... (until an Environmental Impact Report is put on the shelf in SF) the sailing capitol of the world. They should do an unofficial ACWS regatta there to give the City and the Darsena some very convenient love.

#190 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

Awesome- happy to hear the location has been confirmed! Google street view from the rotunda - http://maps.google.c...162.04,,0,-0.42

Problem I see is they're talking of closing the promenade to traffic: they already do that on Sunday afternoons, but on weekdays it'll be hell.

From a spectator's viewpoint, not much of an amphitheatre. Trying to visualize the place, beyond the harbour to the West (Mergellina, where the hydrofoils to Capri and Ischia dock) there's a near-vertical rise with several terraces, the one on Via Felice Minucio for instance: might be the best location, with binoculars.

#191 acintel

acintel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

One dead, dozens hurt in Naples new year festivities

NAPLES, Italy | Sat Jan 1, 2011 4:17am EST

(Reuters) - One person was killed, more than 70 injured, and fireworks set on fire dozens of piles of rubbish as the city of Naples rang in the new year.

The southern city and its hinterland are traditionally the most explosive area in Italy on New Year's Eve, and Friday night was no exception as people fired guns into the air and set off fireworks, many of the powerful illegal types.

Police said a 39-year-old man died when he was hit in the back by a stray bullet fired into the air by someone on the balcony of an apartment block on the city's outskirts.

More than 70 others were injured, including a 28-year-old man who was shot in the face -- also by a stray bullet, and was in a serious condition. The others were injured by fireworks.

The city's garbage crisis aggravated the situation.

Fire fighters put out at least 140 blazing mounds of rubbish accidentally set alight by sparks from fireworks.

Tons of refuse have piled up on the streets over several months because dumps and incinerators are full and people in the suburbs have resisted plans for new ones near their homes.

(Reporting by Phil Pullella; Editing by Louise Ireland)

#192 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

What team will be missed in Naples?

Murray:

'We expect to have nine teams sailing in Naples,' he said. 'Three of those team will have two boats each,' he added.

http://www.sail-worl...re---Live/92636

8 teams so far + Luna Rossa + local team = 10

No local team?
No Aleph?
Who will be missing?

#193 Kiwi Spy

Kiwi Spy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Murray:

'We expect to have nine teams sailing in Naples,' he said. 'Three of those team will have two boats each,' he added.

No local team?
No Aleph?
Who will be missing?

I think you will find there are nine teams listed on the home page of Americascup.com

RG

#194 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Murray:

No local team?
No Aleph?
Who will be missing?

I think you will find there are nine teams listed on the home page of Americascup.com

RG

Richard, I read it.
But what about the local team announced?

#195 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

^ I've seen no recent mentions in Italian media of a local team. Perhaps now that LR has entered, the idea has been dropped or postponed?

From RG's article
--
In a media discussion, just prior to Christmas, America's Cup Regatta Director, Iain Murray said that they couldn't build AC45's fast enough, and they expected to have 12 boats sailing at the next event in Naples, Italy, and by mid-year there should be 13 AC45's racing. 'We expect to have nine teams sailing in Naples,' he said. 'Three of those team will have two boats each,' he added.

'We are committed to building boats 15 and 16. We can't build them quickly enough. Unfortunately we can't get boat 15 to Naples in time for the next round of the America's Cup World Series.'

The intriguing point with that comment, is where all the AC45's are going? Unless there are new teams coming into the World Series.

Luna Rossa announced that they will be entering the America's Cup and have confirmed that they will be launching an AC45 in Auckland and sailing that as part of a partnership arrangement with Emirates Team NZ, who have imported their AC45 back to Auckland. That accounts for just one of the new AC45's.

Nine teams are currently entered being Team China, Emirates Team NZ, Aleph (FRA), Energy Team (FRA), Artemis (SWE), Green Comm Racing (ESP), Team Korea, Luna Rossa (ITA) and Oracle Racing (USA). Currently only Oracle Racing have more than one AC45.
--

me:
9 teams, plus 3 extra boats for those three teams (AR, OR, and ?) = 12 boats racing in Naples.

GD has said he will have only 1 AC45; therefore the? could be any of the other 6 teams. TC, TK, ET, AL, LR or GCR.

The wildcard is if BAR has purchased one or two AC45's, replacing one or more dropout teams. But since IM said "we can't build them fast enough" then this possibility strikes me as unlikely; the BAR boat(s) probably is a new order.

We know hull numbers 11 and 12 went to OR.
My guess is
13 to AR
14 to LR
15 to the ? other two boat team
16 to BAR, ready by Venice or Newport
17.. no idea but IM does seem to suggest building will continue; or else he would probably have said 'And that is the end of ACRM commissioned AC45s.'

10 would be the 'frankenboat' ACRM extra

#196 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

^ I've seen no recent mentions in Italian media of a local team. Perhaps now that LR has entered, the idea has been dropped or postponed?

15 to the ? other two boat team

No. The 15 is not ready for Naples:

' Unfortunately we can't get boat 15 to Naples in time for the next round of the America's Cup World Series.'

Maybe the other two boat team is Energy and their second boat is the Aleph's boat?

Aleph said from the beginning, if not sponsors, not sailing in 2012. No news so far about new sponsors...

#197 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

^ Very good.

Yep, and that could be it. edit: but if Aleph is dropped how do you get to nine teams racing in Naples?

#198 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

^
Are you all counting OR as one or two teams?

#199 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

^ Very good.

Yep, and that could be it. edit: but if Aleph is dropped how do you get to nine teams racing in Naples?

8 - Aleph + Luna Rossa + local Team (as announced as part of the ACEA-cities agreement) = 9

Another counting:

12 boats in Naples, ie, all the built AC45s minus the Oracle's 3 & 4

Ergo,

The ACMR boat is for Local Teams (Naples and Venice).

All the 12 built boats will be used.

A thrirth team has a second boat.

That implies this "second boat" is a boat used before by a missing Team.

#200 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

^
Are you all counting OR as one or two teams?

One team:

Do you know this mantra?:

"Nine boats, eight teams, seven countries"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users