Weather forecast, we don't need no steeking weather forcast..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MikeR

MikeR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Interests:Own a Pearson 10M

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

http://www.newsday.c...oyage-1.3175543

The Darwin principle in action. Interestingly, on the way to City Island.

Cheers,

MikeR

#2 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

I'd like to think that if I had to abandon ship under similar circumstances, I would have the wit to drop the anchor overboard.

#3 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,002 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

That does not look like a First 30. Unless B has another earlier version First 30 from what looks to be an 80ish boat.

#4 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

This thing is sitting, literally, about 300 feet west of my back yard. I walked down there the day before yesterday after getting home from sailing from New London to Greenport aboard Settler in Off Soundings, and checked her out.
First, the boat is fine. Perfect. As in, "get your buddy with a pair of Yamaha 200s and pull her right off the beach" fine. At high tide she is just bobbling in the surf a little, and has not planted herself in the beach at all.
Second, I don't know where these guys were going, but they have enough Jerry cans of gasoline aboard to deliver her to Charleston, SC.
Looking her over, it appears that the jib zippered out of the tuff luff, and then they lowered it, to promptly sink and wrap around the shaft, because that's where it is. The jib is tacked on to a Furlex, and the halyard is over the side with some sail around the shaft and skeg. The main is "storm" furled with whatever rope they had aboard. You could hoist it now.
Finally, the weather the night they "abandoned the boat because it was sinking" was really... meh. I mean, the anemometer on my house was reading about 24-26 knots, gusting to 32-34 at best. Not your choice evening for a delivery, but certainly not an "oh my God we're all gonna die call the Coast Guard" type of night either. Let's face it, we've all raced in worse, let alone delivered. According to a friend, you should have heard these guys on VHF Ch. 16. We're on the south side of LI Sound, so the nearest Coast Guard station isn't "near." It's in New Haven. So generally, Suffolk County PD and the local volunteer fire departments respond in their generic 28' "rescue" boats. These guys were calling for help on the radio, and were told that it might take 30-45 minutes to get a boat to them off Wading River. Then they started screaming that they didn't have that long to live. They were scared, really scared.

Okay, so chalk it up to complete inexperience, and no, none of us were there so we have no idea what really happened to these guys. No harm, no foul. Most likely someone bought a boat, found two buddies who had not been sailing much to help him deliver, and well, as the thread title says, "Weather forecast, we don't need no steeking weather forecast." Then things started going south, and they panicked. If they had only stayed with the boat they could have just washed ashore in my back yard, and I would gladly have given them hot coffee and breakfast.
Now, would you please get your sailboat off my beach? Sailflow is calling for 20 knots of easterlies all day, and this thing is going to wind up racked up on the eastern jetty of Mattituck Inlet by sunset. They called in Douglass Marine for an estimate on what it would cost to haul her off the beach, but they didn't like the price, so they declined. Meanwhile. the locals are "exploring" their new find, and I think eight people have approached me asking what the definition of salvage rights is.

And now, for your viewing pleasure... pics:

-Q-

Attached Files

#5 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

This kind of explains a lot, thanks Q. After reading the article, I was left with more questions than answers. Hope he gets it off the beach while it's still in good shape.

#6 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

"It was rough out there. Winds of 25 knots, seas 4 to 5 feet -- that's rough anywhere," he said.

Wow, hope I never come across conditions like that !

#7 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts
  • Interests:Not dying.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

"It was rough out there. Winds of 25 knots, seas 4 to 5 feet -- that's rough anywhere," he said.

Hurricanes can be down right scary........

#8 jibjazz

jibjazz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.
    Thinking about sailing.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Maybe they should buy bicycles & stay out of the water.

No. Make that tricycles.

#9 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

[quote name='jibjazz' timestamp='1316367226' post='3405605']
[quote name='solosailor' timestamp='1316358514' post='3405484']
[quote]"It was rough out there. Winds of 25 knots, seas 4 to 5 feet -- that's rough anywhere," he said.[/quote]Wow, hope I never come across conditions like that !
[/quote]

No. Make that Bigwheels.
[/quote]

Fixed (lower CG).

[quote name='jibjazz' timestamp='1316367226' post='3405605']
[quote name='solosailor' timestamp='1316358514' post='3405484']
[quote]"It was rough out there. Winds of 25 knots, seas 4 to 5 feet -- that's rough anywhere," he said.[/quote]Wow, hope I never come across conditions like that !
[/quote]

No. Make that Bigwheels.
[/quote]

Fixed (lower CG).

#10 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hey Hobot, what the hell, it's not even close to 1700 yet....

#11 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

It's 1700 somewhere, might as well....

(friggen *smart* phones my ass!)

#12 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

It's 1700 somewhere, might as well....

(friggen *smart* phones my ass!)

No shit----if they were truly smart, they'd hack into someone elses bank account and pay their own fuking way.......

#13 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

thats funny.

those are prime FUN sailing conditions.

why were they getting so much water below? did it occur to them to close the hatch? which is apparently wide open....

#14 -Q-

-Q-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

Update: Boat gone as of this morning. Not sure if she was hauled off the beach, or drifted away to other scenic vistas... I was out most of the day yesterday. Hasta la vista wayward little boat! May your owners have insurance, and a really good gel coat guy.

-Q-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users